Max Payne 3 Xbox 360

7.8

1. Feb 25, 2017
    Storytelling so i love, with non-chronological chapters. Addictive, wanted to finish the game as soon as possible. The only drawback of this game is a schematic, too much monotony and irrational number of people to kill. That why when i finish the game i felt relief. Shame because it was the only game that i finished a couple of years. Almost a masterpiece but a little lacking to achieveStorytelling so i love, with non-chronological chapters. Addictive, wanted to finish the game as soon as possible. The only drawback of this game is a schematic, too much monotony and irrational number of people to kill. That why when i finish the game i felt relief. Shame because it was the only game that i finished a couple of years. Almost a masterpiece but a little lacking to achieve this title. Expand
  2. Jan 21, 2017
    Solo las misiones de los capitulos de las favelas hacen que este juego se te quede en la retina para siempre. Magnifico juego d accion en tercera persona, de los mejores de su genero.
  3. Jan 20, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Max Payne 3 continues the story of the man himself, Max Payne as he leaves the streets of New Jersey to São Paulo Brazil to work as a body guard for the business man, Rodrigo Bronco, and his family. But it's not long before **** hits the fan and, Max needs too save the family from kidnappers, and even fight against São Paulo's Special Forces. The story of Max Payne 3 is excellent with characters that have so much personality, and everyone of the characters are beautifully acted. The graphics of Max Payne 3 are some of the best on a last gen system everything has so much detail, and color to it that it's worth just standing around for a bit to take in the scenery. Gameplay of Max Payne 3 is simple yet fun, and also incredibly violent. Bullets destroy faces, and blood flows freely. When you kill the last enemy in a room the game will go into a cinematic view showing the path of the bullet the kill the last guy, and you can keep shooting him until the clip runs empty. The bullet time mechanics are great fun too use. Allowing you to slow down time for a better chance at a headshot, or to pull of Matrix like moves while bullets whiz by you. When the campaign is finished there is also multiplayer where you and 16 other players take part in 10 different game modes it's chaotic fun. Max Payne 3 is in many ways the best game in the series. Expand
  4. Jan 12, 2017
    Fantastic game. The story is a great length and on par with the best that Hollywood has to offer. The shooting and cover mechanics are excellent and the game is a joy to play. Worth every penny that you pay for it.
  5. Aug 24, 2016
    A definite departure from the classic Max Payne of the PS2 games but boy is this a top notch shooter! Fantastic character driven story which has a super fast pace to it. Bullet time and last man standing are exhilarating. The script, voice acting and graphics are fantastic. Quite possibly Rockstars most underated game.
  6. Mar 24, 2016
    This is interesting game with interesting story . Very many different cutscenes . Very Very good graphics . This is best game of 2012 . This is good returns of Max Payne series . Awesome gameplay . This is gooooooood game . 10/10
  7. Jan 19, 2016
    Just want to say I love this game. Thanks Rockstar for making such a gritty, real feeling shooter where the stakes are real from the difficulty, the graphics are exceptional, the gun-play brutal, stylish and just as it should be and the atmosphere never lets up. Replaying this in 2016 and having a superb time, when I'm having trouble keeping my attention on any of the new releases thisJust want to say I love this game. Thanks Rockstar for making such a gritty, real feeling shooter where the stakes are real from the difficulty, the graphics are exceptional, the gun-play brutal, stylish and just as it should be and the atmosphere never lets up. Replaying this in 2016 and having a superb time, when I'm having trouble keeping my attention on any of the new releases this grabs you and doesn't let go and gives you a hell of a good time. Expand
  8. Nov 5, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is truly a fantastic game. Max Payne 3 is a great shooter with an extremely fascinating script and storyline that totally succeeds in delivering a perfect noir tale! The pacing is just the right speed and I personally had no trouble playing this game nonstop for more than a couple of hours. The graphics, full of detail and constantly very colorful and at times and very beautiful as well. The characters, brimming with interesting personality traits all while delivering quick, intriguing, and sometimes very funny lines. The action and gameplay, a huge amount of fun that never grows tiring and always works well and correctly. And Max Payne himself, as engaging and engrossing a character as ever while also being voiced wonderfully by James McCaffrey. With an endlessly fun multiplayer and an incredibly involving story this comes up to make this game is yet another triumph to add to Rockstar's list! Expand
  9. Mar 22, 2015
    Easily one of the best Third-Person Shooters of X360/PS3 generation. Damn, I even enjoyed it more than the original game!

P.S. The Soundtrack is truly amazing!
  10. Feb 19, 2015
    Easily one of the best, gritty and cinematic stories I've ever played. All of the previous mechanisms that made the series great are back and perfected to make the experience like none other. The game looks perfect, the story is never boring and keeps you wanting to play. This game would be getting a perfect rating if it wasn't for a few small things like the clunky multiplayer mode,Easily one of the best, gritty and cinematic stories I've ever played. All of the previous mechanisms that made the series great are back and perfected to make the experience like none other. The game looks perfect, the story is never boring and keeps you wanting to play. This game would be getting a perfect rating if it wasn't for a few small things like the clunky multiplayer mode, the longer than usual load times and the over the top difficulty at time. This is easily a game that I keep coming back to after many years. Expand
  11. Nov 30, 2014
    The best feature about this game is bullet time, it's so awesome! This is a really good 3rd person shooter. It has a good story line and awesome slow-mo shooting scenes. The only bad thing about it are the cutscenes, some are unskippable and repetitive. But the game is really good and really addictive.
  12. Jun 17, 2014
    Entertaining story about a great, non-gregarious, **** brooding, pill-popping, functioning alcoholic, quasi-man's man dude killing people (morally). You don't have to spend hours learning how the play, you can just step right into the action and enjoy the thrill.
  13. May 22, 2014
    Now Max Payne 3, while a little bit different to the others in the series, still retains the same premise and gameplay of the first two, albeit in my opinion at a slower pace. This Iteration is much more realistic in how it works, with 2-4 shots being able to take you down and that you also can't carry an armoury's worth of weapons with you. Instead your allowed to carry up to threeNow Max Payne 3, while a little bit different to the others in the series, still retains the same premise and gameplay of the first two, albeit in my opinion at a slower pace. This Iteration is much more realistic in how it works, with 2-4 shots being able to take you down and that you also can't carry an armoury's worth of weapons with you. Instead your allowed to carry up to three weapons simultaneously, two one handed e.g. pistols, and one, two-handed weapon, such as a shotgun. even then, if you decide to star dual wielding like some Neo wannabe, you'll have to drop your two-handed weapon on the spot. Now alot of people will say this is a stupid idea to put into a game, especially a Max Payne game, but it does make the game more challenging when you don't have every gun under the sun in your back pocket. Now bullet time, Pain-killers and shoot-dodging returns, and they pretty much work the same as in the last games. You'll be relying on them alot later on in the game as the difficulty becomes quite high even when playing on the normal difficulty setting, as you'll be faced with 20+ enemies at once, which is a lot to deal with. A new addition to the franchise is the fact you can now lay on the ground a spin the full 360 degrees to take some goons while lying down, after you've performed a shoot-dodge. You will also not immediately die if you happen to be carrying some painkillers when you run out of health. Instead you'll go straight into a slo- mo, bullet-time last stand type of deal, in which you have a couple of seconds to take out the guy that took you down. Doing so will save you, and you'll be able to get back up and carry on the fight.

Now the game looks pretty damn good aswell, the graphics are really high quality, not crysis super computer quality, but it's a very good looking game, especially on console. there are some things that your eyes wont agree with though. What I'm mainly talking about is the overused, in-your-face filters that try to make the game look like an old VHS tape. they do get on your nerves a little bit, as they only really kick-in every now and again. Now what will annoy most people is the over-abundance of cut-scenes that appear every time you finish off a gunfight. Some of them are also long-ass MGS worthy ones that you cant skip until the game has loaded, as the cut-scenes act as loading screens when playing the story. Also, when taking out the last enemy in a gunfight, you'll be treated to a slo-mo death cam of said goon, where you can keep pumping bullets into him, until he's turned into human swiss cheese, these are pretty brutal, and a greatly improved by the Euphoria physics engine that Rockstar used which creates a different reaction every time.

The story mode is the heart of the game, with the story being quite a good one. It's well written, and has a few twists and turns, although it's maybe not as good as Red Dead Redemptions story (Great game by the way, go play it!) I thought it was great. There are also a couple of other modes to the game, such as the arcade mode and New York Minute, time trial mode, and for the first time multi-player is included. The first two modes I mentioned are basically there to test your skill and reflexes, and also give you the chance to unlock multi-player characters and cheats for single-player.

Now Multiplayer in Max Payne 3 is a mixed bag. sometimes it can be really enjoyable, sometimes it can be really infuriating. Now you might think the infuriating games are just that your not playing very well, but in my opinion the game is un-balanced. When the game first came out, it was pretty balanced, there was nothing outstandingly overpowered, but due to DLC being released the game has changed dramatically, usually you see everyone running around in the very protective bomb suits, dual-wielding pistols. You'll soon find out this is probably the best combination in the game to go with, and it makes nearly every other weapon a waste of time. Now there are only a couple of modes that come with the game, Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, and gang wars. Gang wars is the stand out mode, where each match consists of five rounds that follow a storyline. You could be planting or defusing bombs one round, and then trying to assassinate of defend a VIP the next. It helps keep the gameplay varied. They have added a few other modes through DLC, including a co-op, horde mode style game, and another where your chased down by a goblin with a wooden leg and a taser (seriously, I'm not joking). There Is the, now-standard mult-player games weapon load-out and customisation menu, that you see in nearly every game now-a-days, but There's a weight system to keep it a bit fresh, and make you think about what you take into battle. The heavier you are, the slower your stamina and health regenerate. There's also Bursts, that act the same as kill streak rewards and character customisation aswell.

Overall it's a good game, but It's not everyone's cup of tea.
  14. lox
    May 19, 2014
    Surprisingly the first Max Payne game I've ver played, and I really really liked it. My only real gripe is the cutscenes were a little too long at times. But as a whole Max Payne 3 is gritty, immersive fun with great voice acting, a movie-like story and insanely fun multiplayer.
  15. Mar 27, 2014
    Max payne 3 is another great rockstar game, i love this game, is absolutely fantastic it actions scene, its really outstanding it violence, great game that must be played.
  16. Mar 17, 2014
    Pros:
    Great story, about regret and guilt and overcoming obstacles.
    Amazing shooting mechanics, makes it top of it's class. Great protagonist. Presentation with cutscenes and how there aren't any loading screens are really well done. Intense shoot outs. Great missions, and a really good length of 12 hours. Difficulty settings are really well done. Bullet time, and shoot dodge are
    Pros:
    Great story, about regret and guilt and overcoming obstacles.
    Amazing shooting mechanics, makes it top of it's class.
    Great protagonist.
    Intense shoot outs.
    Great missions, and a really good length of 12 hours.
    Difficulty settings are really well done.
    Bullet time, and shoot dodge are just plain cool.
    Graphics are fantastic and really detailed environments.

Cons:
    Last mission could of been better. Threw way too much enemies at you, made it a bit unrealistic
  17. Mar 12, 2014
    This game is amazing....awesome graphics,voice acting, gun fight and else...but still not better than Max Payne 2....the multiplayer si really fun too...but the story it aint that good(max payne 1 and 2 was 10 times better ) ....to be honest sao paulo as place to fight is not that good as New York (that few missions in new york are the best missions in the game)....max payne 3 its aThis game is amazing....awesome graphics,voice acting, gun fight and else...but still not better than Max Payne 2....the multiplayer si really fun too...but the story it aint that good(max payne 1 and 2 was 10 times better ) ....to be honest sao paulo as place to fight is not that good as New York (that few missions in new york are the best missions in the game)....max payne 3 its a masterpiece but the not perfect...a 9 from me Expand
  18. Mar 1, 2014
    Definitely not one of the most original games out there, but still the same essential gameplay that makes Max Payne enjoyable to play. Definitely worth rental, as there isn't a ton of replay value. Overall, a very fun, if somewhat short and straightforward experience that shouldn't disappoint fans of both Max Payne titles, and shooters in general.
  19. Jan 27, 2014
    The story was cool the gameplay was awesome and the cinematic cut-scenes were cool. Playing this game is like being part of a movie. Max payne's voice as usual is cheesy and too deep. I'm not a huge story mode player but this game keeps you interested. The graphics are typical for rockstar and work out alright. The bullet-time mode is a nice touch and has improved some since 1 and 2. I'mThe story was cool the gameplay was awesome and the cinematic cut-scenes were cool. Playing this game is like being part of a movie. Max payne's voice as usual is cheesy and too deep. I'm not a huge story mode player but this game keeps you interested. The graphics are typical for rockstar and work out alright. The bullet-time mode is a nice touch and has improved some since 1 and 2. I'm all about multiplayer mode and this game didn't disappoint. Flat 8. Expand
  20. Nov 25, 2013
    The campaign is nice, the multiplayer is good but don´t have a thing that makes you with a need to play it. It´s another good work from rockstar but for me it can be better and for me the grade of this game is 8
  21. Nov 14, 2013
    Graphics: Realistic graphics, sometimes the shadows make it look ugly, but the character models look great too. 9.5.
    Sound: Decent soundtrack (I wasn’t into the music near the end, didn’t feel that was the right band like Rockstar claimed back on GTTV). The themes were excellent, the voice acting was great. 9.
    Gameplay: The game is more realistic than previous Max Payne titles, but
    Gameplay: The game is more realistic than previous Max Payne titles, but I did still get the feeling that it was a Max Payne game. Bullet time is great, all the guns are fine, the aiming is challenging but in a good way. The only complaint is the constant switching of shoulders, but I think there’s an option to turn that off. Challenging game good, gametrailers-reviewers noobs. Euphoria engine looks at its best. The multiplayer I found unbalance, unrealistic, and just not my type of shooter. 9.
    Story: The story plays out at a slow pace, it keeps you interested for a while, but near the end it’s not as interesting. I enjoyed playing the past sequences more than the present day because I felt the present day ones were going nowhere in terms of Max’s story. Max is in a field where he doesn’t belong, and even though it is hinted, this didn’t make it any more interesting. The switch from comic scenes to in game cut scene was fine, I enjoyed it. The inner thoughts of Max Payne are brilliant, who doesn’t have their brain always talking to them? 8.5.
    Lasting Appeal: The game is a must play at least once, there are achievements and a multiplayer for those interested. Personally, I would recommend this game a rent for those wanting a single player only experience. The game took about 8-10 hours on hard for me to complete. 8.
    Overall Score: 8.8 out of 10.
  22. Oct 18, 2013
    its a incredible game
    one the best third person shooter than i have played
    max payne 3 its so unforgable
    it has a lot of good things.
    bullet time is awesome and the graphics are amazing
  23. Sep 17, 2013
    Max Payne 3 is truly underrated. Its got a fantastic story great mechanics and gameplay and a solid multiplayer offering. One of the very best shooters of all time.
  24. Aug 16, 2013
    [8.0] It definitely isn't Rockstar's best, but Max Payne 3 is impressive in many ways. It exceeds in both action and graphics, which makes up for the linear gameplay. Although it isn't quite as engaging as Grand Theft Auto, or Red Dead, Max Payne 3 is a great title for people who are waiting for GTA V.
  25. Aug 6, 2013
    definitely a must buy. this game ties together fun game play elements as well as a compelling story easily worth $60 even today. great multi-player with mechanics not seen in others.
  26. Jul 23, 2013
    A well made shooter with an interesting story and characters.It might seem unfair at times(talking about the shooting).but its fun and it has good difficulty. I love the fact that you actually need to use cover and think about ammo it makes it really fun and engaging. It is not perfect but it is a really good game.
  27. Jul 16, 2013
    What a game!! maybe the coolest game I ever played. The bullet time is so badass!! I also liked that the gameplay was quite challenging my first playthrough was on hard and I died and died, so many times. I am not a fan of the story or the endless cut-scenes, but the gameplay was too satisfying to keep me playing. I could give this game a higher score if Max can shut his mouth once in aWhat a game!! maybe the coolest game I ever played. The bullet time is so badass!! I also liked that the gameplay was quite challenging my first playthrough was on hard and I died and died, so many times. I am not a fan of the story or the endless cut-scenes, but the gameplay was too satisfying to keep me playing. I could give this game a higher score if Max can shut his mouth once in a while....he is talkish!! Anyway, I still love this game! Expand
  28. Jul 12, 2013
    "The final gunshot was an exclamation mark to everything that had happened up to this point..."
    Max Payne returns for his third game to conclude his dark trilogy. Max Payne 3 shows a much darker Max and for those of us who have guided him through the series, it is depressing. Max has let himself go and it will take his world falling apart to bring him back up. In classic Max Payne style, we see the end and then return to the beginning as Max is working in South America as a body guard. This game does tell a lot of its tale in the form of flashbacks, but this only improves the main storyline.

Graphics: Beautiful. Words escape me how gorgeous this game is. The world is full of life whether that be trucks and cars driving on the road or civilians scattering from a firefight. The game just looks fantasticly gritty and full of colors that make Max's story just that more realistic.

Gameplay: It's your typical Max Payne game. Run around and shoot ever poor soul in sight while popping pain killers. There are quite a few vehicle levels to mix things up and there is even a cover system added in which I found to be more than useful when you can't pop into bullet time.

Story: Gripping. Dark. Phenomenal. Max has really lost it in the game and the player feels for him. I know I did and probably more so than I have for almost any other video game character. The story is a bit lengthy, but the length is more than acceptable and it doesn't lose you for a second. They did, however trade in the typical graphic novel style of cutscenes for a more traditional cutscene blended in with a few elements from the graphic novel styling that we have come to love.

If you aren't familiar with the series, I recommend playing the first two before diving into this incredible story, but if you have not tried this game: Do it. Now.
  29. Jul 4, 2013
    The gameplay itself is very modernised and authentic. The realism of gameplay itself is very good and eye-catching. The plot as well is a very dark and gritty storyline for the protagonist who had lost his wife and baby child in the first previous game. A smashing masterpiece of a game.
  30. Jun 24, 2013
    Max Payne 3 is all of that and much more.It is a game more focused on story as all the previous max Payne's have been and packs satisfying gunplay to boot.It may not be THE BEST third person shooter out there but Max Payne 3's gameplay and story lives up to expectations with multiplayer being a riot. The game is great fun and the multiplayer is very unique to any other third person shooters.

1. Hyper Magazine
    Jul 8, 2012
    A compelling, down and dirty bullet basket populated by real characters and visceral gunplay. [July 2012, p.55]
  2. Jun 26, 2012
    The presentation is top-notch, the game feels like you want it to never end while you're playing it, and the multiplayer gives it longevity that will stick around for a good while.
  3. Pelit (Finland)
    Jun 20, 2012
    Max Payne 3 is a great action-movie experience with life-like characters that Rockstar is famous for. It does fall a bit flat on the actual action part, however. The controls on consoles are confusing and hard to get used to. Still very much worth a play-thru. It's also one of the best looking console games in the current generation. [June 2012]