7.7

1. Feb 26, 2013
    Whilst playing Max Payne 3 my opinion on the game changed almost minute to minute. One second I would find myself enjoying the action packed, if rather one note, gameplay the next I would be closing to turning off the game through pure frustration.

Anyone that has played any of the previous titles in the series won’t really find any gameplay surprises here and the bullet-time mechanic, while no longer as original as it was when the first game was released over a decade ago, can certainly still be great fun when you are able to get things right. The gunplay is also pretty solid but questionable design choices often make it seem as though the game is going out of its way to prevent the player enjoying themselves. Every so often the player will be handed back control following a cut scene to find themselves under heavy fire, if you don’t get your bearings quick enough you’re dead. A number of other sections will also see you killed pretty quickly if you go in all guns blazing leading to a frustrating amount of trial and error. On these occasions the game can become a generic, and rather average, cover based shooter forcing the player to pick of enemies one at a time. Try to imagine a slightly inferior imitation of Modern Warfare 2’s campaign (including the favela) and you’re not far off. Vest wearing bad guys that seem to be able to take three or four bullets to the chest and yet still continue to fire back at you only add further to the frustration. Having to repeat a section because you are killed by an enemy you assumed was already dead is not fun. Another of the games problems is that the gameplay doesn’t evolve at all from start to finish. I wasn’t expecting the freedom of an open world game but some choice in how to tackle certain missions would have been nice. Why could the bullet time mechanic not be used to help keep the player unnoticed by enemies for example?

In terms of its characters and storyline this third outing is certainly aiming for a more serious tone. To be perfectly honest however this is another aspect of the game that doesn’t really work. Many of the cut-scenes are longer than necessary and simply end up intruding on the gameplay. Listening to Mr Payne spout increasing forced ‘film noir’ type metaphors is almost laughable on occasions and by the end of the game I wasn’t really paying much attention to what was going on.

Thanks to some fantastically cinematic set pieces there is plenty of enjoyment to be had here but if this series is to attract me back for any sequels the developers need to get back to the drawing board and offer a bit more variety next time around.
  2. May 17, 2012
    The graphics and gameplay capabilities are simply top notch. The detailed gameplay plays fantastically because of of good controls and weapons. Visuals are far from being the most important thing, but its worth mentioning for a title that looks so beautiful. How about the story? Well, its got a great script and and the characters are well developed. This is another satisfactory game fromThe graphics and gameplay capabilities are simply top notch. The detailed gameplay plays fantastically because of of good controls and weapons. Visuals are far from being the most important thing, but its worth mentioning for a title that looks so beautiful. How about the story? Well, its got a great script and and the characters are well developed. This is another satisfactory game from Rockstar. Now that this has been released, can you guys start work on Bully 2? Expand
  3. May 15, 2012
    Finally! Much years for have a new Max Payne, and this third part is really amazing. The graphics are AWESOME!!! the stroy is excellent, and have a great development, the gameplay is perfect, the sound effects cool. Max Payne 3 is an awesome sorprise.
  4. Jun 7, 2012
    You will feel depressed right on the beginning , and that's one of the characteristic of old Max . Leaving the cold to the tropical Brazil , Max Payne still can't surpass his horrible past , thugs and the scums aren't giving Max a good welcome , and they will try to complicate every step that Max makes. Graphically , the engine is probably one of the best out there , and maybe the bestYou will feel depressed right on the beginning , and that's one of the characteristic of old Max . Leaving the cold to the tropical Brazil , Max Payne still can't surpass his horrible past , thugs and the scums aren't giving Max a good welcome , and they will try to complicate every step that Max makes. Graphically , the engine is probably one of the best out there , and maybe the best looking game from the company of GTA.Movements like jumping , dolphin diving and many other really are impressive . In the story side , i can't say it was the best ( made from Rockstar ) but was quite well written. Expand
  5. Jun 8, 2012
    This is another proof that Western games are getting better and better in quality in comparison to their Japanese counterparts. Intuitive controls, great storyline, super graphics. Max Payne made you feel like you're in a 'John Woo' film.
  6. Mar 8, 2013
    Max Payne 3 marks the return of the John Mclain of the gaming world, Max Payne, as he ventures through one of the most action packed and well written stories of 2012.
    Max now lives in Sao Paulo for the rich family Branco, he is a bodyguard, a drunk and a painkiller addict. When the family is targeted by people living in the Favelas close to their home Max has to jump back into action to find the people responsible for the deaths of his employers and who threaten his life too.
    Max Payne 3's story has been told time and time again, however not as good as MP3 does it. MP3 is heavily cutscene based with all the gameplay taking place during the gunfights. Though this detracts from the experience it only makes the story better and better by giving you such a tight narrative. But when the gameplay does kick in it is one of the most enjoyable third-person shooters you will ever play. Feeling very similar to Gears of War and Spec Ops the Line with very well structured controls and great environments to fight in ranging from airports to clubs.
    Max Payne 3 is not a game you can miss if you like action games, it has something to please everyone.
  7. Jun 9, 2012
    I never played any of the other Max Payne games so i'm new to Max Payne and what a great game Max Payne 3 is. It has a fantastic story line in the whith has many twists and turns in it. The best script I have heard in a game I have heard in a long time. Just buy it. Max Payne 3 8.9/10
  8. Mar 27, 2014
    Max payne 3 is another great rockstar game, i love this game, is absolutely fantastic it actions scene, its really outstanding it violence, great game that must be played.
  9. Dec 4, 2012
    A big improvement over the first two and that's saying alot since I grew up with them. I was waiting for a long ass tiem for them to finally continue the saga of Max Payne and Rockstar hasn''t given me any reason to doubt them. The gameplay, the story, the bullet time and **** like that is way better. Complete badass
  10. Aug 16, 2013
    [8.0] It definitely isn't Rockstar's best, but Max Payne 3 is impressive in many ways. It exceeds in both action and graphics, which makes up for the linear gameplay. Although it isn't quite as engaging as Grand Theft Auto, or Red Dead, Max Payne 3 is a great title for people who are waiting for GTA V.
  11. Jul 31, 2012
    Alright,I have played through the story twice and played many hours of the wicked multiplayer and come to the conclusion that this is as close to perfect as you can get for a video game.there are no flaws I can see and it's just a enjoyable awesome experience that everybody should play.The first two Max Payne games I played were the xbox versions and they were grade A awesome.This is theAlright,I have played through the story twice and played many hours of the wicked multiplayer and come to the conclusion that this is as close to perfect as you can get for a video game.there are no flaws I can see and it's just a enjoyable awesome experience that everybody should play.The first two Max Payne games I played were the xbox versions and they were grade A awesome.This is the next generation of games so of course it's gonna be different.I absolutely love the direction Rockstar went with this game.It has replay value like crazy.If you only played single player with no online I would recommend this to the highest degree.I love when games do that and then the online is amazing and just as good,if not better,then anything out there.Please get this game cause i you dont then you are missing out on the second best thing to come out this year,being Mass Effect 3, is the only game better but I would rate this in the top ten in the last 5 years of video games.Just brilliant!! Expand
  12. May 18, 2012
    Initially I never played any one of the Max Payne games before, so I do not know the gameplay and story of the other games. In May Payne 3, Max is a former policeman and the events take place 9 years after the second game, with the opening showing a low down Max, between alcohol and painkillers, remembering the tragedies of his past, mixing scenes of this and of the present, in hisInitially I never played any one of the Max Payne games before, so I do not know the gameplay and story of the other games. In May Payne 3, Max is a former policeman and the events take place 9 years after the second game, with the opening showing a low down Max, between alcohol and painkillers, remembering the tragedies of his past, mixing scenes of this and of the present, in his apartment in Brazil.From the Main Menu, we have the options: Story, Arcade, Multiplayer, Settings, Xbox Live Marketplace, with the Social Club fire with Start. Starting a game, we see New, Continue, and Grinds Chapter Select (statistics collectibles) and start a game when you select the difficulty from Easy, Medium, Hard, Hardcore and OldSchool (the last two blocked, released when finished with Hard), and then the targeting system options, from Hard Lock, Soft Lock and Free Aim.The game's graphics are very realistic, with details that go up the pores in the skin of the characters, the graphic details of blood and bruises are ultra-realistic. When you fire the bullet time with the right analog button, the screen goes into slow motion, black and white and can aim at enemies, the shots are realistic too about the damage and injured body part, and we see detailed splashes of blood and bloody footprints, not to mention the occasional Bullet Time itself, with the camera following the bullet's path, as we see in Sniper Elite.I'm from Sao Paulo and I can say that the "recreated" city it's not like that: they mixed São Paulo with Rio de Janeiro, creating a stereotype that many foreign people have of Brazil. We don't have bananas trees everywhere, and the buildings blend several areas of the city, in a fictional version of the city - like other detail like the stereotype image of the people, musical taste and culture of people we have here (yes, we like football, but it's not like a religion). The game's story is being told it with the graphics engine, and and scenes sometimes raw and visually distorted, showing the mental changes in Max, by alcohol and analgesics. Often the scenes go by a comic cut and mixed with cinematic action sequences.In the audio, the game uses orchestrated track, and melancholy narratives, dialogs are very well staged, and have a line of narrative, told by Max, heavy and dense. The voices of the enemies, in Portuguese, are very good, but not so polished: they have a mixed accent of other regions, and some are convincing, other like the actor were reading something (or acting badly) but dubbed dialogs are concise in the dialogs.The action is of a 3rd person shooter with pre-defined scenarios, full of action, with very fluid motion capture: you use the traditional mechanic to advance through the scenarios shooting at enemies and using objects for cover and to jump over them. The scenarios have intense firefights, where you should use Bullet Time to kill the enemies and try not to be killed.The saves the game are of the area of fixed checkpoint kind, and automatic - the good news is that they are very frequent, and usually at the beginning some action sequence, restoring your life.The shots damage scenarios, and it is well done, and each material has a kind of reaction that affects the bullet, for example in a parking lot, was in a shootout, and entered a sequence of Bullet Time, while a shot a thug in the face another shot hit a water pipe that was on the wall, splashing water. The materials react realistically and cartridges fall to the ground.For a comparative example, who has not played Max Payne before, looks like a "Kane and Lynch" in steroids. In shootouts, sometimes entered the Kill Cam, which shows the bullets of different weapons realistically reaching the enemy, and you can make the time pass more slowly with A and continue shooting for more multiple hits.The life is represented by a figure in white, that diminishes, and becomes red to death: there is a partial regeneration, depending on the checkpoints - in most cases you should use the Painkillers with dpad-up or use the Last Stand Kill, where you at brink of death, hits the enemy in Bullet Time and if kill him, gets a lot of life back.The game allows the use of multiple weapons fired in a "wheel" of weapons with LB, and can use a Dual-Wield of different weapons - and in the scenarios we find pieces of golden weapons, which are the collectibles of the game, and course "collectable" statistics (enemies killed by rifles, shot on legs, etc).

The Multiplayer mode has also been discussed by critics as excellent, I look forward to test it - it have a competitive feature, based on clans and the gameplay based on what we see in the game, complete with Bullet Time and Kill Cams.Overall this is another great work of Rockstar, a great 3rd person shooter, with great graphics and well written story, and an incessant action, which although not innovative, promises a great game full of action until the end.
  13. Nov 14, 2013
    Graphics: Realistic graphics, sometimes the shadows make it look ugly, but the character models look great too. 9.5.
    Sound: Decent soundtrack (I wasn’t into the music near the end, didn’t feel that was the right band like Rockstar claimed back on GTTV). The themes were excellent, the voice acting was great. 9.
    Gameplay: The game is more realistic than previous Max Payne titles, but
    Gameplay: The game is more realistic than previous Max Payne titles, but I did still get the feeling that it was a Max Payne game. Bullet time is great, all the guns are fine, the aiming is challenging but in a good way. The only complaint is the constant switching of shoulders, but I think there’s an option to turn that off. Challenging game good, gametrailers-reviewers noobs. Euphoria engine looks at its best. The multiplayer I found unbalance, unrealistic, and just not my type of shooter. 9.
    Story: The story plays out at a slow pace, it keeps you interested for a while, but near the end it’s not as interesting. I enjoyed playing the past sequences more than the present day because I felt the present day ones were going nowhere in terms of Max’s story. Max is in a field where he doesn’t belong, and even though it is hinted, this didn’t make it any more interesting. The switch from comic scenes to in game cut scene was fine, I enjoyed it. The inner thoughts of Max Payne are brilliant, who doesn’t have their brain always talking to them? 8.5.
    Lasting Appeal: The game is a must play at least once, there are achievements and a multiplayer for those interested. Personally, I would recommend this game a rent for those wanting a single player only experience. The game took about 8-10 hours on hard for me to complete. 8.
    Overall Score: 8.8 out of 10.
  14. Oct 31, 2012
    This is truly a fantastic game. Max Payne 3 is a great shooter with an extremely fascinating script and storyline that totally succeeds in delivering a perfect noir tale! The pacing is just the right speed and I personally had no trouble playing this game nonstop for more than a couple of hours. The graphics, full of detail and constantly very colorful and at times and very beautiful.
  15. Jul 10, 2013
    I was very angry about this game it was so impressive and fun,but there was a bad bug that made me start the storyline all over again all dang over again... and after that happened i'm like screw this.It was a very good game besides that bug.
  16. Oct 29, 2012
    All that i can say about this game is that it is exactly what I've come to expect from Rockstar. Play through single player once and a little multiplayer - very polished - addictive gameplay and awesome multiplayer. Must buy
  17. Jul 16, 2013
    What a game!! maybe the coolest game I ever played. The bullet time is so badass!! I also liked that the gameplay was quite challenging my first playthrough was on hard and I died and died, so many times. I am not a fan of the story or the endless cut-scenes, but the gameplay was too satisfying to keep me playing. I could give this game a higher score if Max can shut his mouth once in aWhat a game!! maybe the coolest game I ever played. The bullet time is so badass!! I also liked that the gameplay was quite challenging my first playthrough was on hard and I died and died, so many times. I am not a fan of the story or the endless cut-scenes, but the gameplay was too satisfying to keep me playing. I could give this game a higher score if Max can shut his mouth once in a while....he is talkish!! Anyway, I still love this game! Expand
  18. Oct 18, 2013
    its a incredible game
    one the best third person shooter than i have played
    max payne 3 its so unforgable
    it has a lot of good things.
    bullet time is awesome and the graphics are amazing
  19. Oct 31, 2012
    Max Payne 3 is the best linear third person shooter i have ever play, anyone that say this game suck is simply stupid, this game puts every other 3rd person shooter to shame, well, except Uncharted that is.
  20. Sep 11, 2012
    The only thing that kept me playing this game was the joy of sharing another one way walk into Hell with Max. Max is Dirty Harry, John Mclane, The Punisher and all the other 'too dumb to quit' good guy cops rolled into one. Gameplay 4. Graphics 4. Voiceover 8. MAX PAYNE 10. I may have fallen through a roadway in a graphical glitch that saw me looking up at a ghost city from beneath. I mayThe only thing that kept me playing this game was the joy of sharing another one way walk into Hell with Max. Max is Dirty Harry, John Mclane, The Punisher and all the other 'too dumb to quit' good guy cops rolled into one. Gameplay 4. Graphics 4. Voiceover 8. MAX PAYNE 10. I may have fallen through a roadway in a graphical glitch that saw me looking up at a ghost city from beneath. I may have gone crosseyed fighting the umpteenth lookalike badguy in the umpteenth lookalike location. I may be frustrated that it takes a half a clip of 7.62 FMJ rounds to stop a badguy goon standing up again after I shot him once. But, hey MAX is back and thats good enough for me. As max says "There it was, the soundtrack to my life, and, for a few seconds, came harmony, finally". Expand
  21. Nov 5, 2012
    A true cinematic gaming masterpiece, Max Payne 3 is not just another triumph for Rockstar, but it's also testament to what the developer can do when it turns its hand to linear storytelling. Max Payne 3 might be a stylistic shift for the series, but it's also a raw and brutal portrait of a man pushed to the edge that deserves a place alongside Rockstar's superlative open-world efforts. GetA true cinematic gaming masterpiece, Max Payne 3 is not just another triumph for Rockstar, but it's also testament to what the developer can do when it turns its hand to linear storytelling. Max Payne 3 might be a stylistic shift for the series, but it's also a raw and brutal portrait of a man pushed to the edge that deserves a place alongside Rockstar's superlative open-world efforts. Get ready to enter a world of Payne. Expand
  22. May 22, 2012
    Despite the sort of conventional feeling 'last boss' climax, this is one brilliantly made game. The gameplay forces you to come up with a strategy on how to defeat your enemies, because their aim is good too, and it doesn't take that many bullets to kill Max (unless of course you have a bunch of pain killers stashed up). The game enforces perfect aiming when in battle - every shot counts -Despite the sort of conventional feeling 'last boss' climax, this is one brilliantly made game. The gameplay forces you to come up with a strategy on how to defeat your enemies, because their aim is good too, and it doesn't take that many bullets to kill Max (unless of course you have a bunch of pain killers stashed up). The game enforces perfect aiming when in battle - every shot counts - and this, with the insane amount of enemies that surround you, is no easy feat. I loved how the scenes blended in with the gameplay and that the game's loading was hardly apparent (unless of course you quit, restarted, or beat the game) - otherwise it's nearly seamless. The game's writing is beautiful and the story is simply fantastic. Expand
  23. Jul 21, 2012
    Another ROCKSTAR disappointment. I keep hoping for another Red Dead experience from them and get games that fall short by a mile. This game failed to engage me and even irritated me. I wanted a film noire type mystery shooter maybe like Condemned with atmosphere and good writing and acting and challenging shooting but got none of this in this game. It comes across like a bad acid tripAnother ROCKSTAR disappointment. I keep hoping for another Red Dead experience from them and get games that fall short by a mile. This game failed to engage me and even irritated me. I wanted a film noire type mystery shooter maybe like Condemned with atmosphere and good writing and acting and challenging shooting but got none of this in this game. It comes across like a bad acid trip and isn't even a fun one. ROCKSTAR I know you can do much better please deliver next time. Expand
  24. Mar 17, 2014
    Pros:
    Great story, about regret and guilt and overcoming obstacles.
    Amazing shooting mechanics, makes it top of it's class. Great protagonist. Presentation with cutscenes and how there aren't any loading screens are really well done. Intense shoot outs. Great missions, and a really good length of 12 hours. Difficulty settings are really well done. Bullet time, and shoot dodge are
    Pros:
    Great story, about regret and guilt and overcoming obstacles.
    Amazing shooting mechanics, makes it top of it's class.
    Great protagonist.
    Intense shoot outs.
    Great missions, and a really good length of 12 hours.
    Difficulty settings are really well done.
    Bullet time, and shoot dodge are just plain cool.
    Graphics are fantastic and really detailed environments.

Cons:
    Last mission could of been better. Threw way too much enemies at you, made it a bit unrealistic
  25. Dec 25, 2012
    MAX PAYNE 3 is the best game in the franchise. The first MAX PAYNE just looked like THE MATRIX and the second was a bit better. MAX PAYNE 3 has great graphics, great voice acting, campaign and its one of the best games of 2012.
  26. Jun 15, 2012
    the best narrative and voice-acting I've experienced in the last 2 years in a videogame, Caffrey's voice and narration will doubtlessly shock you. The soundtrack is pretty nice and electronic. The controllers are a bit awkward but yeah
  27. Oct 11, 2012
    Without having another Max Payne game under my belt but having watched Man on Fire and the Max Payne I think I have different expectations and perception of this game than most people do. I really liked it! I thought the slow mo gunning down people was fantastic so much that I picked up other games after and was annoyed that it was too fast and I couldn't be as much of a bad ass. I neverWithout having another Max Payne game under my belt but having watched Man on Fire and the Max Payne I think I have different expectations and perception of this game than most people do. I really liked it! I thought the slow mo gunning down people was fantastic so much that I picked up other games after and was annoyed that it was too fast and I couldn't be as much of a bad ass. I never really got bored of the weapons even though it felt like I was constantly using the same weapons. The ammo scarcity was really great to the point that you were cautious about making your ammo count but not to the point that was it was debilitating if you overextended ammo here and there. The story is really what stood out to me. While I would normally argue that the cutscenes were long and frequent it was paired with commentary throughout the missions that made it melt together fairly seamlessly. Visually the game looked really good, nothing groundbreaking, but just really good. The atmosphere was perfect. At times you were a high rolling body guard bad ass at a cool location and other times you were a grimy piece of **** blasting your way though people. I know people were bothered by how the character didn't seem like a real Max Payne, but having not played the originals, and assuming the movie wasn't entirely accurate to the character in the games I really didn't have a clear vision of who Max Payne was. After playing Max Payne 3 I can say this, he is a harsh bitter ol alcoholic who will mow through the bad guys; most importantly, I like him. Expand
  28. Apr 28, 2013
    This game is amazing!The story is great,the combat is so much fun and the multiplayer is pretty good.Even thought the game is really cheap in stores.It's totally worth the money.
  29. May 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Despite some minor issues (and a couple that aren't so minor), Max Payne 3 still manages to be a first-class third-person shooter and is thus one of the better games of the year. More importantly, it's a welcome return for one of the shooter genre's better series. The years may not have been kind of Max, but it seems he hasn't missed a beat. Expand
  30. Aug 26, 2012
    I really enjoyed playing Max Payne 3 both the story and online multiplayer are solid and will keep you busy for hours.

First of all, the campaign was very good, and its story was top notch. This is by far one of the best campaigns I have ever seen in a recent title. The campaign is also long, but there isn't any replay vaule to be had. Multiplayer is also very solid. I have not had

Multiplayer is also very solid. I have not had a single disconnected game since I got it. Although I have to admit there is a very high number of lag switchers on there and there is also some weapon balancing issues. However regardless of these issues multiplayer is very fun to play. Graphically the game is fantastic, not as good as those found in Skyrim, but up at the very top. The textures, animations and character models are all top notch. Overall this is one of the few modern games that has both a decent single player and multiplayer. Rockstar have done a great job with this title.
  31. Jun 16, 2012
    An astonishing experience of a Single Player game: Max Payne 3 massively delivers a postmodern, hyper-real, ultra violent, realistic blast of pop culture shoot 'em up for 2012. Standing on its own as a complete story, Rock Star delivers a video game shooter experience loaded with reverence to 80s films by Michael Mann, Brian De Palma and even some hard boiled Hemingway dialogue with enoughAn astonishing experience of a Single Player game: Max Payne 3 massively delivers a postmodern, hyper-real, ultra violent, realistic blast of pop culture shoot 'em up for 2012. Standing on its own as a complete story, Rock Star delivers a video game shooter experience loaded with reverence to 80s films by Michael Mann, Brian De Palma and even some hard boiled Hemingway dialogue with enough Sam Peckinpah shoot outs to dizzy, engage and shock. It's also fresh and new, with a very shocking plot that reaches for a level of realism that video games(or even films) have yet to tackle. This game elevates the genre on dozens of levels. Expand
  32. May 29, 2012
    DONT BELIEVE THE HYPE!!!!, Rockstar really needs to get it together because i have not been satisfied with anything they have made( sans ballad of gay tony dlc) since they put out GTA San Andreas. Every title since then has been hyped up garbage hidden by beautiful graphics. In this game their are Cutscenes everywhere, it wouldnt have bothered me if the gamplay wasnt repetitive, but it isDONT BELIEVE THE HYPE!!!!, Rockstar really needs to get it together because i have not been satisfied with anything they have made( sans ballad of gay tony dlc) since they put out GTA San Andreas. Every title since then has been hyped up garbage hidden by beautiful graphics. In this game their are Cutscenes everywhere, it wouldnt have bothered me if the gamplay wasnt repetitive, but it is so yea. And the story really isnt that engaging sense majority of the time you will be watching cutscenes.There really arent that many weapons either , and finding the golden parts to them really doesnt change anything but their appearance. This game also is kind of like yet another call of duty clone. Last time i checked Max Payne didnt need cover, but ole well. I will say it was a good effort to make Max Payne relevent again, but the wait definitly wasnt worth it. Expand
  33. May 15, 2012
    Max Payne is always been one of my most favourite franchises and this sequel is the best of the picking, with slick visuals, great shootouts and SLOW MOTION. You will have a lot of fun and with absence of loading screens it brings a breath of fresh air to cinematic games. With about 12 hours single player and a ton of replayability as well as two arcade type modes you won't get bored onMax Payne is always been one of my most favourite franchises and this sequel is the best of the picking, with slick visuals, great shootouts and SLOW MOTION. You will have a lot of fun and with absence of loading screens it brings a breath of fresh air to cinematic games. With about 12 hours single player and a ton of replayability as well as two arcade type modes you won't get bored on your own. If you do then you have multi-player which is amazingly fun and challenging. There is not regenerative health in the single player and it is hard so if you are expecting a call of duty, look elsewhere. Expand
  34. Mar 23, 2013
    It's been awhile since I've invested this many playthroughs into a single-player campaign. So far, I've run through the entire Max Payne 3 story now a total of four times and I plan on giving it another run as well. That's just how good it is. The rock-solid gunplay and mechanics when combined with the gritty and engaging narrative makes this easily one of the best experiences out there.It's been awhile since I've invested this many playthroughs into a single-player campaign. So far, I've run through the entire Max Payne 3 story now a total of four times and I plan on giving it another run as well. That's just how good it is. The rock-solid gunplay and mechanics when combined with the gritty and engaging narrative makes this easily one of the best experiences out there. The third outing in the Max Payne series primarily takes place in Brazil, although there are some flashback missions to Max's hometown of Hoboken, New Jersey. I was a little reluctant to play through a Max Payne game that was not taking place in a gritty, winter-blanketed city but I was very surprised at how attached I became to the new environment. The game looks fantastic and the blood effects shown in slow-mo never become stale. The gunplay is very tight, although there is a larger emphasis on utilizing cover than in previous Max Payne games, but it never feels out of place. If you're looking for a realistic shooter with a protagonist that is afraid to get shot, look elsewhere. This game places you in the shoes of one of the most badass action heroes in the history of gaming and it's not embarrassed to do so in any way. From diving out of a in-mid-air motorboat and blasting away numerous gangsters all the way to taking down entire SWAT teams with a single weapon, it's clear that Rockstar's intention was to make you feel as empowered as possible. However, that's not to say that the game is easy. In fact, Max Payne 3 is one of the more challenging games that I've played in recent memory. Enemies on higher difficulties are ridiculously accurate and never hesitate to bum-rush your cover if the opportunity arises. The AI can be brutally intelligent, utilizing these bum-rushing abilities at the most inconvenient times. If you go to reload, don't be surprised to see a few enemies instantly begin moving to flank you. Enemies also have a nasty habit of remaining in cover the moment you pop out to fire at them, which makes some of the later firefights unfair. If you have never played a Max Payne game before, you're in luck. While Max Payne 3 does touch back a few times to the previous entries, the events of the first two games is irrelevant to the storyline of the third one. However, it definitely helps to have played at least one of the previous titles, as they give you more background as to why Max is such a sullen and careless protagonist and why he has such substance-abuse problems. The story in the third Max Payne isn't perfect. It occasionally meanders and reveals pointless details in the overall plot that, as a player, you really just don't need to know. The entire story is also somewhat confusing, with bits and pieces coming out here and there that really fail to cohesively fit together. It will take several playthroughs for you to really grasp the entire concept of the storyline. Voice acting is absolutely superb and the actor that plays Max really shines. The narrative really captures Max's disgruntled mind and conveys to the player just how much pain a man can go through before he breaks. There's also an abundance of challenges to complete as well as awesome collectibles like golden weapons for those who fancy collecting things. Additional arcade modes and the New York Minute mode also add to the entire single-player package so there is no shortage of fun for those who shy away from online. However, if you do choose to play online, you will be greeted with essentially the same material that most other online games boast. You have custom classes, perks, and additional titles to unlock as you gain rank-ups. Stats and progression are intact and additional cosmetic unlockables are available as well. I was actually surprised at how fun the online was. Servers are great and there was never any lag when playing any of the game modes that are available. Unfortunately, the only drawback is the scant amount of players that are actually playing the online. At any given moment, there are probably around 1,500 total players online on a good day. If you can tolerate the small population online and sometimes longer-than-necessary matchmaking, an enjoyable experience is to be found. Overall, Max Payne 3 is one of the best games I've played in awhile. The single-player experience is an absolute joy and there is so much content to be had for perfectionists that grant many hours of gameplay. If you can tolerate the small amount of players online, then the multiplayer is also a rewarding feature. If you're a fan of the series or shooters in general, I highly recommend this game. Even if you're new to the franchise, you won't be disappointed. Expand
  35. May 18, 2012
    What makes Max payne 3 so great is that it stays true to the older games while still feeling new and fresh. When it comes down to the graphics, animations, and very addictive gameplay its pure gaming gold. Max payne 3 is one of the best games to come out this year and should be expirenced by any gamer. The only thing i diddent really enjoy is that it is very linear. Like the parts whereWhat makes Max payne 3 so great is that it stays true to the older games while still feeling new and fresh. When it comes down to the graphics, animations, and very addictive gameplay its pure gaming gold. Max payne 3 is one of the best games to come out this year and should be expirenced by any gamer. The only thing i diddent really enjoy is that it is very linear. Like the parts where it shows Max drinking in his appartment why dont we get to play that part instead of just watching it in a cutscene. But anyway it is a fantastic game. Expand
  36. May 15, 2012
    Why do I keep getting interrupted during gameplay for a cutscene. There is no way to become immersed if if every two minutes I'm stopped to watch cuts for sometimes longer than I just played. The gameplay is frustrating, the gun mechanics are not great, and the bullet time is way too short.
  37. Xon
    Jul 10, 2012
    MULTIPLAYER MAX PAYNE IN THE ASS

The single player rocks. Perhaps it is because I live in Brazil that i can tell you visually and story-wise the game hits the nail on the head like I have never seen before in a game. I give the single player campaign 9/10. The single player is short but impressive so I bought the season pass. Man, do I rue the day i did that. First of all it is super
    MULTIPLAYER MAX PAYNE IN THE ASS

The single player is short but impressive so I bought the season pass. Man, do I rue the day i did that. First of all it is super difficult for me to get into a game. I can play any game online, Diablo 3, Syndicate, BF3...you name it. With MP3 I spend half the time trying to connect but failing due to "connection errors" and "failed synchronization". Also, I only started to enjoy the game after reaching level 10. Started. I haven't yet had a fun game.

At this moment I am still unable to enjoy the multiplayer. I have written R* about my connection issues who have not responded.

I am a hard working father with precious, little free-time. When I sit down with an hour to indulge I definitely do not choose MP3 multiplayer since it will be only frustrating.

What a shame.
  38. May 31, 2012
    Even though the anticipation for this game will never live up to the actual product, I enjoyed playing Max Payne 3. What I did not enjoy was the length of the checkpoints. Talk about a game of headaches. If anything it is my own fault because I played on Free Aim, which makes things a lot more difficult, but if you want the achievements/trophies, you better turn it on Free Aim. MultiplayerEven though the anticipation for this game will never live up to the actual product, I enjoyed playing Max Payne 3. What I did not enjoy was the length of the checkpoints. Talk about a game of headaches. If anything it is my own fault because I played on Free Aim, which makes things a lot more difficult, but if you want the achievements/trophies, you better turn it on Free Aim. Multiplayer was chaotic, not as cinematic and glorious as advertised. A fun game, worth playing, great dialogue and action which is expected from Max, but wish the game had more of a RDR multiplayer. Listen to the full audio review on the podcast; http://liquidgamer.podbean.com/ Expand
  39. May 19, 2012
    Gripping action and awesome bullet time mechanics! Max Payne 3 is a lot of fun. Granted the story is not very long and you can plow through it in a day or so. But I plan on playing through it again and again because the action is damn fun! The game is fantastically cinematic and the story is pretty well written too even though Max's life takes turns for the worst repeatedly. I reallyGripping action and awesome bullet time mechanics! Max Payne 3 is a lot of fun. Granted the story is not very long and you can plow through it in a day or so. But I plan on playing through it again and again because the action is damn fun! The game is fantastically cinematic and the story is pretty well written too even though Max's life takes turns for the worst repeatedly. I really recommend you check this out and a side note, the multiplayer is pretty fun as well! Expand
  40. May 17, 2013
    For me personally, this could easily be the best pure-bred shooter of all time. The content of the story is nothing new but the context is superb. The variety of settings is great. The narrative arc of MP3 is a predictable one but the shooting mechanics are insanely good. It is all about the violence. This is the closest that any game has gotten to matching those shootouts we know and loveFor me personally, this could easily be the best pure-bred shooter of all time. The content of the story is nothing new but the context is superb. The variety of settings is great. The narrative arc of MP3 is a predictable one but the shooting mechanics are insanely good. It is all about the violence. This is the closest that any game has gotten to matching those shootouts we know and love from films like Heat, Leon, Collateral, Die Hard, Under Siege etc.

Play it on Hard/Hardcore, it will rile you but the adrenaline will flow. Admittedly Max Payne 3 only does one thing, but nobody does it better.
  41. Nov 18, 2013
    This game is ABYSMAL! It's so bad with is cut scenes every 2 flipping seconds. IGN gave this game something like a 7 or 8. But I suppose IGN give out 8,9 and 10 like motherf**kers. Sorry for the language. Needed to get that out. But MAX PAYNE 3 is not. I REAPAT not a good game. Reason... There cutscenes. To many. It's graphics are not anything special. It's meant to be sad. I just laughedThis game is ABYSMAL! It's so bad with is cut scenes every 2 flipping seconds. IGN gave this game something like a 7 or 8. But I suppose IGN give out 8,9 and 10 like motherf**kers. Sorry for the language. Needed to get that out. But MAX PAYNE 3 is not. I REAPAT not a good game. Reason... There cutscenes. To many. It's graphics are not anything special. It's meant to be sad. I just laughed at the sad parts. Reason... It is such a bad story it made me laugh. The gameplay (when there is some) is rubbish and so is the guns. They feel terrible. Not a good job Rockstar.

Overall
    -Bad Story
    -Bad campaign
    -Not Much GamePlay Just Cut Scenes
    Score 18/100
  42. May 26, 2012
    With gripping action, top-notch animations, and a brand new setting, Rockstar delivers a re-envisioned Max Payne. The graphics do not set any industry standards, but they hold up quite well - although the combat animations are quite groundbreaking. Unfortunately I happened to encounter some glitches where the textures failed to load, and the sound disappeared, though compared to earlierWith gripping action, top-notch animations, and a brand new setting, Rockstar delivers a re-envisioned Max Payne. The graphics do not set any industry standards, but they hold up quite well - although the combat animations are quite groundbreaking. Unfortunately I happened to encounter some glitches where the textures failed to load, and the sound disappeared, though compared to earlier Rockstar titles it wasn't that bad. It could also get frustrating at times with scarce checkpoints far in-between and having the weapon reset after cutscenes - this could be related to the transitions from cutscenes to gameplay though. The developers try to make combat easier when the player is struggling by handing out painkillers and ammo after a certain amount of deaths, though if you happen to enter a cutscene without it, you might find yourself purposely attempting suicide only to take advantage of this - which is not very intuitive. The last stand element where you are given the option of using a painkiller if killing the enemy who shot you is quite handy, but if there's an obstacle in your way or you're out of ammo, it becomes quite tedious as it only leaves you having to watch your inevitable death in slow-motion. The clues and things you find along the way don't really add much to the story, but can be quite enjoyable and a nice touch for players who like to explore. Rockstar is definitely one of the few developers who could take on a plot like Max Payne with such amibitiousness. And although it's not very realistic, they are able to involve you in the story with great use of narration and action-driven editing, as you enter on a mind bending journey likely to stick with you after it ends. Expand
  43. May 18, 2012
    Wow. This is very dificult game to rate. The gameplay is awesome. But it is very oftem (almost between each two rooms) interupted by the cutscene. And the cutscenes are terible. They are using "inovative" effect like color filter changes, shaking parts of the screen, doubole and triple vision, etc. And it is overused in such degree that it is literally pain to watch. I stopped the gameWow. This is very dificult game to rate. The gameplay is awesome. But it is very oftem (almost between each two rooms) interupted by the cutscene. And the cutscenes are terible. They are using "inovative" effect like color filter changes, shaking parts of the screen, doubole and triple vision, etc. And it is overused in such degree that it is literally pain to watch. I stopped the game after 2,5 chapters because I felt sick and get real headache. Never ahppened to me before. So how I can obejctivelly rate the gameplay with good score, if the overal desing does not allow me to enjoy the game? I hope for patch that will let me disable this, otherwise I will sell the game soon. Im not masochist to endure this for 10 hours or so :-(
    If you are considering the game, go and watch few cutscenes on the youtube or just the cutscene trailer. Now imagine whole game is like this. And the cutscenes are everywhere.
  44. May 25, 2012
    I'm from Brazil, and the rich details on all levels and favelas is amazing. I don't live on favela, but i know places like that, and Rockstar did ONE MORE TIME a perfect job. Many lessons learned with Uncharted, but MP3 but the shooter on another high level.
  45. Aug 17, 2014
    You'er Max Payne, an ex-cop hired to be bodyguard to a rich family in Brazil. It's supposed to be a vacation for you, but it turns out to be everything but. Shoot your way through carnage and mayhem, trying to solve a puzzle you never suspected. Kill hundreds of bad guys in slow motion, and with an assortment of weapons.

Lots of fun, however, can be frustrating at times. Sometimes the

Lots of fun, however, can be frustrating at times. Sometimes the game gets repetitive, and then there are flaws in the combat system, and other errors that stop you from having a good, gun blasting time. All in all though still a good game. At least worth a rent. The story is very well done.

You get two discs of Max Payne 3.
  46. May 26, 2012
    For all the excitement and delays around the next Max Payne, it wasn't worth it 100%. This game reminds me of a little like Uncharted 3 with its area to area combat sequences. First off let me start with the negative. Slow motion gun fight has its moments but lacks memorable takes like the original. The easter eggs in this game doesn't appeal to me. I really don't care finding golden gunsFor all the excitement and delays around the next Max Payne, it wasn't worth it 100%. This game reminds me of a little like Uncharted 3 with its area to area combat sequences. First off let me start with the negative. Slow motion gun fight has its moments but lacks memorable takes like the original. The easter eggs in this game doesn't appeal to me. I really don't care finding golden guns while my head is being shot at. I don't think it belongs in this genre of game. And like Uncharted the cover system is suspect. More ammo would have made this game more fun to play with less stress and a better thought out story. Seems to me Mr Payne is running low on confidence in the world and that's hard to play. Anyways it ain't all bad. Being Max again takes me back. Bad A.. and ready to fire on sight. With nothing to loose Max again gets himself into trouble. Controls are simple to use and of course slow mo gun fights are still a cool concept especially the new slow mo finishers. As mentioned earlier there is easter eggs for you to find if you like that sort of thing. Seems a bit hard for me at times even on easy difficulty setting. There are multiple difficulties to choose from to test your patients. And dual held weapons are always cool to use. To keep it short, most people love this run and duck sort of game which draws good reviews. On the other hand I speak for the minority and say that it's not all that it wraps up to be. If you have a PC right now, why not try Diablo 3 first if you have only money for one game at the moment. Expand
  47. Aug 9, 2012
    Very average game. Outstays its welcome by chapter 10 even though it's short which tells you that gameplay gets boring quick. A couple of good chapters tho. Definitely not a keeper.
  48. May 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The story is one of the hallmarks of this game. As Rockstar just opened Max Payne's life and filled it with despair, death, and pain as his journey through Brazil, New York, and Panama just got even worse by the second. After having his wife and child taken from him, his life fell apart and he was reduced to painkillers and alcohol. Then after getting the mod to hunt him down it was time he left Hoboken with his new friend and partner, Passos. Getting into private security for a rich wealthy family he thought he could escape and live without a crosshair on his back till extremist and gangs started hunting them down. But soon after people of the family get kidnapped and held hostage, Max finds himself in the binds of a moral choice to save them. This game is a rollercoaster of action and characters. As it takes you from the high society of wealth down to the lowest vermin infested favelas where action seems to drive you through this game.

49. May 23, 2012
    Straight up amazing. As a fan of the original two games which I still have and played in the weeks before the release of 3 I can honestly say this game blows me away. The visuals are fantastic as is just about everything else from the narrative to the controls. You are quite literally the death dealer personified thanks to the fantastic bullet time Rockstar has implemented in thisStraight up amazing. As a fan of the original two games which I still have and played in the weeks before the release of 3 I can honestly say this game blows me away. The visuals are fantastic as is just about everything else from the narrative to the controls. You are quite literally the death dealer personified thanks to the fantastic bullet time Rockstar has implemented in this iteration of the series. The cut scenes are gorgeous and done with fantastic visual effects that depict Max's internal struggle with his addiction and demons from the past. Everything is just over the top. I honestly was not expecting much from the multiplayer in this game as I bought it for the story and single player campaign but again Rockstar has delivered the goods in a big way. The maps are great, although they could use a few more but it's early still. There are tons of customization options for your characters and weapons. They also have a great perk system based on adrenaline from kills that has 3 levels of effect for each perk. All of the options combine to allow you to create fantastic load outs for your character. If you are a long time fan of Max or even if you have never played the series before MP3 is a MUST have for any gamer. Expand
  50. May 15, 2012
    This game is ABYSMAL. The story is bad, the textures are nonexistent, the voice acting is terrible, the writing is terrible, Max never shuts up, and dear god this game is visually offensive. During every cutscene (and during some gameplay) there are these blue scanlines that keep flashing on the screen and stupid popup words. All sorts of visually awful things, it's like Rockstar saw KaneThis game is ABYSMAL. The story is bad, the textures are nonexistent, the voice acting is terrible, the writing is terrible, Max never shuts up, and dear god this game is visually offensive. During every cutscene (and during some gameplay) there are these blue scanlines that keep flashing on the screen and stupid popup words. All sorts of visually awful things, it's like Rockstar saw Kane and Lynch 2 and said "this is what we want visually." The gameplay is ok, what little of it there is. This game does the whole MGS thing except even worse because every 4 minutes of gameplay (sometimes less) you run into a cutscene. I have NEVER in my life had gameplay interrupted more times than during Max Payne 3.
    all in all I can't recommend this game at all to anyone. It's pretty bad.
  51. May 16, 2012
    This game, once you get the controls down to where you are comfortable moving around, taking cover, etc. is definitely worth checking out. I have always been happy with Rockstar because they give you $60 worth of a game. I enjoyed Red Dead Redemption, GTA IV, and L.A. Noire. All of these titles were worth their price. Surprisingly, the campaign in this game kept me guessing. I expected toThis game, once you get the controls down to where you are comfortable moving around, taking cover, etc. is definitely worth checking out. I have always been happy with Rockstar because they give you $60 worth of a game. I enjoyed Red Dead Redemption, GTA IV, and L.A. Noire. All of these titles were worth their price. Surprisingly, the campaign in this game kept me guessing. I expected to go in guns blazing most time, but sometimes things happened that weren't like anything I guessed. The multiplayer is also worth checking out. The ease of play within the multiplayer part of the game surprised me also. Most games have camping, elite players, etc. This game encourages everyone to play, and you are rewarded for doing so. Overall, this game is worth playing. Expand
  52. Jun 2, 2012
    After a bit this playing the same Rockstar game over and over gets old. Grand Theft: Auto, Horse, Facial Expressions and Slow Motion. They are making the same product over and over. Trivial story, amazing polish but it is like polishing a turd, and the now famous "awesome multiplayer" (gaming media uses this when they want to say the game is crap and it is hard to evaluate what oneAfter a bit this playing the same Rockstar game over and over gets old. Grand Theft: Auto, Horse, Facial Expressions and Slow Motion. They are making the same product over and over. Trivial story, amazing polish but it is like polishing a turd, and the now famous "awesome multiplayer" (gaming media uses this when they want to say the game is crap and it is hard to evaluate what one person's take on multiplayer is to the next) that will entertain for two weeks max. Pass. Wait for games, not products. Expand
  53. Jun 30, 2013
    A decent game, action-wise, however, I never cared for any of the plot lines of any of the Max Payne games and this game is no exception. But I didn't play this for the story line, rather for the action, which is good but is extremely repetitive. By the end of the game, I couldn't wait for it to be over. Multiplayer was mediocre but not bad. A solid buy at it's current price point ofA decent game, action-wise, however, I never cared for any of the plot lines of any of the Max Payne games and this game is no exception. But I didn't play this for the story line, rather for the action, which is good but is extremely repetitive. By the end of the game, I couldn't wait for it to be over. Multiplayer was mediocre but not bad. A solid buy at it's current price point of under $20 but I feel bad for people who bought this new for $60. Expand
  54. May 15, 2012
    Max Payne 3 is Totally Awesome in every way.
    Max Payne 3 is Totally Awesome in every way.
    Now I was never a fan boy of this series way back in the XBOX/PS2 day's,but so far I'm loving everything this game has to offer.The single player is fun with great Voice acting and awesome gun play.the story does start off kinda boring, but after awhile Max Payne 3 is all out guns blazing balls to you're face action that doesn't hold you're hand.Ohh and let's talk about the multi-player *which is Totally AWSOME*there was allot of love put into the multi-player It's waaay to addicting and the lvl up system is a great addition to the none stop action on screen.If I could give this game a 9.75 I would But instead I'm giving Max Payne 3 a 9 out of 10.this is a contender for Game of the Year.
  55. Jul 16, 2012
    I am going to rate this game solely on the campaign because the only reason why this game was purchased by me and made into a game was because of the AMAZING CAMPAIGN. All I can say is it was a HELL OF A RIDE! Not only was the gameplay amazing but the story kept me glued to the monitor. The campaign was CRAZY long and a straight shot through took me all day (10+ hrs on hard). I tried someI am going to rate this game solely on the campaign because the only reason why this game was purchased by me and made into a game was because of the AMAZING CAMPAIGN. All I can say is it was a HELL OF A RIDE! Not only was the gameplay amazing but the story kept me glued to the monitor. The campaign was CRAZY long and a straight shot through took me all day (10+ hrs on hard). I tried some of the multiplayer and let me tell you it ain't bad either. I cant wait to get back on! EASY 10 Expand
  56. May 22, 2012
    Sure Max got a new look, he´s older now but not rusty enough to stop shooting bad guys with style, again. The only bad point for me is that using cover is much better than jumping around and use bullet time, this and the long cut scenes are a big difference to the first 2 games, that only had comic-strips between the chapters. The story and the characters are very cool, theSure Max got a new look, he´s older now but not rusty enough to stop shooting bad guys with style, again. The only bad point for me is that using cover is much better than jumping around and use bullet time, this and the long cut scenes are a big difference to the first 2 games, that only had comic-strips between the chapters. The story and the characters are very cool, the graphics could be better but I love them because they´re really beautiful and when you play Max Payne 3 you feel like your in an John Woo-movie. The game-play is fast-paced and the controls feel very smooth. The sound is just perfect and the voice acting is great too. When I bought the game I did´nt thought about it`s multiplayer-part at all, but after 2 playthroughs I tried it out and now I´m addicted to it`s great multiplayer-mode. You can unlock and then buy lots of weapons and you can then unlock mods for them. In addition there are so called "bursts" (for example bullet time) and equipment-slots, helmets and body-armors. You can also play with to one handed weapons, for example an Mac 10 in your left and an desert eagle in your right, just imagine that. haha... Max Payne 3 is just fantastic and surely a must-have! Expand
  57. Mar 3, 2013
    While the game does have some good points to it, it gets beyond repetitive at times. Sometimes poor controls get in the way of the otherwise decent cover based shooting, but it is definitely nothing special. However as with most Rockstar games there are some moments that make the ride worth it
  58. Dec 27, 2012
    Rockstar undoubtedly had the best of intentions when making this game. However, while the gameplay is fine, albeit repetitive, the story doesn't make much sense, the multiplayer is just standard fair with a bullet time twist, and here are several immersion-breaking bugs, also with a few BIG game-breaking ones too, Max Payne 3 could've been something great, but instead it feels like anRockstar undoubtedly had the best of intentions when making this game. However, while the gameplay is fine, albeit repetitive, the story doesn't make much sense, the multiplayer is just standard fair with a bullet time twist, and here are several immersion-breaking bugs, also with a few BIG game-breaking ones too, Max Payne 3 could've been something great, but instead it feels like an unpolished, bland cash in. Expand
  59. Jan 27, 2014
    The story was cool the gameplay was awesome and the cinematic cut-scenes were cool. Playing this game is like being part of a movie. Max payne's voice as usual is cheesy and too deep. I'm not a huge story mode player but this game keeps you interested. The graphics are typical for rockstar and work out alright. The bullet-time mode is a nice touch and has improved some since 1 and 2. I'mThe story was cool the gameplay was awesome and the cinematic cut-scenes were cool. Playing this game is like being part of a movie. Max payne's voice as usual is cheesy and too deep. I'm not a huge story mode player but this game keeps you interested. The graphics are typical for rockstar and work out alright. The bullet-time mode is a nice touch and has improved some since 1 and 2. I'm all about multiplayer mode and this game didn't disappoint. Flat 8. Expand
  60. May 18, 2012
    Campaign is nice, im 4 hours into it and its good, but the multiplayer is fantastic, i should give this game a 10 because of the trolls giving it a 4 or less but whatever, if you like third person shooters and online shooters this is a must buy, i dont give 2 **** what everybody else says this game is a solid 9 and that the end of it.
  61. May 16, 2012
    ROCKSTAR has done a fine job of envisioning Max Payne for a new audience; unfortunately (for some of us), it is NOT the Max Payne of yore. While the gunplay is frenetic, the hit-detection and collision must be a bit off at times as headshots often fail to keep adversaries on the ground. Stylistically, Max Payne 3 is a visual tour de force but with incessant cutscene interruption,ROCKSTAR has done a fine job of envisioning Max Payne for a new audience; unfortunately (for some of us), it is NOT the Max Payne of yore. While the gunplay is frenetic, the hit-detection and collision must be a bit off at times as headshots often fail to keep adversaries on the ground. Stylistically, Max Payne 3 is a visual tour de force but with incessant cutscene interruption, gameplay takes a backseat. Other foibles, including Max often switching weapons after the conclusion of many cutscenes, forces the player to readjust and modify every approach. REMEDY, originally, made the player FEEL like Max Payne. (In fact, for this writer, the original Payne was the first game played from beginning to end in one melodramatic, grit-filled, approximate, 12.5 hour odyssey.) -THIS Max Payne game is not player-driven, has its own inertia and cadence, often forcing the player to "watch" much of the story instead of allowing the player to "become" part of the story. With future patches, any uneven gameplay may be smoothed-over, but this game is NOT "really" Max Payne. -It's a revisionist Max Payne for the new century, for a new audience, for a new aesthetic with a distinctly odd level of player-challenge and forced-variety. It may well be, that THIS Max Payne will be MORE about multiplayer or future DLC than any possible tense solo experience like its now-distant origins? BUT, categorically, wasn't the original Payne, a hardboiled noir experience that each player embraced which, in turn, contributed to rock-solid immersion, creating the iconic Max Payne experience? Wasn't the linear single-player trek of the original Max Payne, the film noir-like quality, the immersive gunplay and strong characterization wrapped within limited player-choice, the KEY to player-identification WITH the onscreen Max Payne? Sure, while it was an empowerment fantasy, the player BECAME Payne during the journey. With Max Payne 3, the player gets to "watch" a version of Payne, on rails, dynamically forged and sent headlong, careening into one fubar situation after another. Less player-driven and much more like a snowball rolling downhill at controlled speeds, this new Payne IS interesting but not very fun. Expand
  62. Jun 4, 2012
    Best third person shooter ive ever played(.) amazing graphics, and amazing story. Max is now my fav. Video game character. The best part of the game is the slow motion (bullet time) this is achieved by geting kills, and filling up your meter.. Then you can use it... Diving of biuldings, and down staircases in slow mo is awsome. And the story is good.. They some how managed to integrate theBest third person shooter ive ever played(.) amazing graphics, and amazing story. Max is now my fav. Video game character. The best part of the game is the slow motion (bullet time) this is achieved by geting kills, and filling up your meter.. Then you can use it... Diving of biuldings, and down staircases in slow mo is awsome. And the story is good.. They some how managed to integrate the bullet time into multiplayer.. It sounds crazy, but if you get enough kills, u can put everyone else in slow mo. The multiplayer isnt as good as the single, but is still good. Alot of customizing, and abilitys. I loved this game. Expand
  63. lox
    May 19, 2014
    Surprisingly the first Max Payne game I've ver played, and I really really liked it. My only real gripe is the cutscenes were a little too long at times. But as a whole Max Payne 3 is gritty, immersive fun with great voice acting, a movie-like story and insanely fun multiplayer.
  64. May 16, 2012
    Man on Fire: The Video Game. That's really my assessment of Max Payne 3. It's like Denzel's classic movie but with Max Payne and a different kidnapped girl. All the beats are pretty much the same but the game kicks bareknuckle ass. I booted up the game and started playing on Hard difficulty. Having not played Max Payne in a while it took a while to adjust to the controls and the AI wasMan on Fire: The Video Game. That's really my assessment of Max Payne 3. It's like Denzel's classic movie but with Max Payne and a different kidnapped girl. All the beats are pretty much the same but the game kicks bareknuckle ass. I booted up the game and started playing on Hard difficulty. Having not played Max Payne in a while it took a while to adjust to the controls and the AI was pretty tough to beat at first on this difficulty so I felt frustrated and wasn't really into the game. But as this train gets chugging along man oh man does it NEVER STOP. And I mean it, the relentless pace of Max Payne 3 is without question insane. If there's not a cutscene going on then bet your ass there is a balls to the wall shootout or a ingeniously designed action set piece to dazzle your eyes and boggle your mind. It's like Rockstar is trying to channel there inner Naughty Dog with this effort. And for the most part they succeed. Where they fail, is in the graphics for me. And before you jump my bones, let me explain. Alot of the game is ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL. Particularly Max Payne's rendering himself and some of the locales (like when Max switches to that Hawaiin shirt and battles gangs in the slums....GORGEOUS. However, there are FAR TOO MANY framerate jumps and poor textures in this game. And some of the animations look just as bad as they did on GTA4. And that was made five years ago. And the nonstop shootouts CAN get just a tad repetitive although they are a blast to play. Aside from that, where Max Payne 3 really shines is in it's characterization and character development of it's lead hero. This is INCREDIBLY well done. You literally feel like you're in the mind of Max. You feel his pain, his frustration, his addiction, his regret, his inner demons and turmoul. You feel sorry for the guy. So when he kicks ass, you're rooting for him. That's one helluva accomplishment. The flashbacks are brilliantly done as well. All in all the game is seriously fun. The second best shooter I've played this Gen behind the Uncharted series and another GREAT game in the Rockstar library. These guys are just ALWYAS delivering the goods. Expand
  65. Aug 10, 2012
    I've awaited the return of Max Payne for so long and I was not disappointed at all. Max Payne is a stunning game. It has amazing graphics and shooting. The bullet time is better than ever. The story is dark and depressing with what I thought was a very simple and effective ending. It has one of the more sophisticated stories of 2012. I recommend this to fans of games.
  66. May 18, 2012
    In the superb Grand Theft series and Red Dead, I can easily forgive a mediocre shooting component
    because of their vast,open worlds with numerous, fun things to do. I found this effort by Rockstar to be
    Max Painful,i.e., too linear ; frustrating combat involving numb, dumb bad guys, and a yawn-inducing narrative. Incidentally, I bought Metroid Prime 3 the other day for less than ten bucks
    narrative. Incidentally, I bought Metroid Prime 3 the other day for less than ten bucks and am LOVING
    it!! Man, what a stellar, incredible game! Retro, I sure hope you're working on 4.
  67. Jan 1, 2013
    The game was dark and gritty like a constant gnashing of teeth, which you'll inevitably be doing, having to replay certain parts. The mechanics certainly aren't as fine tuned as you would expect from a triple A title, but they don't completely turn you off either. I enjoyed the tone and narrative that kept you engrossed in the story and overall experience. Max Payne 3 is definitely worth aThe game was dark and gritty like a constant gnashing of teeth, which you'll inevitably be doing, having to replay certain parts. The mechanics certainly aren't as fine tuned as you would expect from a triple A title, but they don't completely turn you off either. I enjoyed the tone and narrative that kept you engrossed in the story and overall experience. Max Payne 3 is definitely worth a rental, I'm not however convinced this is worth a purchase. Expand
  68. Dec 31, 2012
    Great storyline and decent game play keep Max Payne alive and worth your while. I picked up the special edition at Gamestop on sale for $20.00. This package is well worth the price. I am addicted to this game and the story has me coming back for more. This game is well written and as always a little twisted with the characters choices.
  69. Jul 5, 2012
    As a huge fan of the Max Payne series, I can honestly say I love MP3. From the great story telling, to the awesome visual style, to the execution of gameplay, MP3 is a great game that deserves praise in almost every area. I say almost because having been such a big Payne fan, I still have not touched multiplayer since that has never been the push of the series. I have no problem with it,As a huge fan of the Max Payne series, I can honestly say I love MP3. From the great story telling, to the awesome visual style, to the execution of gameplay, MP3 is a great game that deserves praise in almost every area. I say almost because having been such a big Payne fan, I still have not touched multiplayer since that has never been the push of the series. I have no problem with it, but still cannot bring myself to dive into it as I fear it may not live up to the how great the campaign is. Still, I would expect it to be as action packed as the rest of the game. Expand
  70. Nov 2, 2012
    Slow mo violence never looked and felt so good. MP3 is an incredible game with an amazing single player story that will have you travelling all over the world. The games mechanics are spot on, coupled with the superb bullet-time game and you have yourself the best action movie shot on a 6mm camera. The design is killer, and gameplay feels rewarding. This isn't one of those FPS shootersSlow mo violence never looked and felt so good. MP3 is an incredible game with an amazing single player story that will have you travelling all over the world. The games mechanics are spot on, coupled with the superb bullet-time game and you have yourself the best action movie shot on a 6mm camera. The design is killer, and gameplay feels rewarding. This isn't one of those FPS shooters that just pushes you through making you feel frustrated and pressured. No, instead in MP3 after every kill you feel a bit of satisfaction and reward for accomplishing a "diving-double head shot in slow-mo". This game has outdone itself both technically, and with the encompassing storyline. MP3 is a buy! A must buy. Get it! :3 Expand
  71. May 15, 2012
    well,the main thing a person looks in any product is that it should be a fun experience worth playing. Max Payne 3 is all of that and much more.It is a game more focused on story as all the previous max Payne's have been and packs satisfying gunplay to boot.It may not be THE BEST third person shooter out there but max payne 3's gameplay and story lives up to expectations with multiplayerwell,the main thing a person looks in any product is that it should be a fun experience worth playing. Max Payne 3 is all of that and much more.It is a game more focused on story as all the previous max Payne's have been and packs satisfying gunplay to boot.It may not be THE BEST third person shooter out there but max payne 3's gameplay and story lives up to expectations with multiplayer being a riot. So if you want to play something fun with a serious storyline as well as gr8 multiplayer,max payne 3 is the game to get. Expand
  72. May 27, 2012
    Max Payne 3 is a great game and contains loads of fun. The singleplayer story is well written and voice acted, again Rockstar games raises the bar for what I think is a good 3rd person shooter. The gameplay is really fun and the realistic guns add a lot to the game. As I said before the story is awesome, Rockstar proves that you can have a gritty noir game in a city that is foreign. ToMax Payne 3 is a great game and contains loads of fun. The singleplayer story is well written and voice acted, again Rockstar games raises the bar for what I think is a good 3rd person shooter. The gameplay is really fun and the realistic guns add a lot to the game. As I said before the story is awesome, Rockstar proves that you can have a gritty noir game in a city that is foreign. To add to the overall package the multiplayer is also very fun and will keep you playing for lots of hours to unlock guns. Max Payne 3 is one of the best games this year and if you miss out on it your going to regret it. Expand
  73. Mar 1, 2014
    Definitely not one of the most original games out there, but still the same essential gameplay that makes Max Payne enjoyable to play. Definitely worth rental, as there isn't a ton of replay value. Overall, a very fun, if somewhat short and straightforward experience that shouldn't disappoint fans of both Max Payne titles, and shooters in general.
  74. Mar 12, 2014
    This game is amazing....awesome graphics,voice acting, gun fight and else...but still not better than Max Payne 2....the multiplayer si really fun too...but the story it aint that good(max payne 1 and 2 was 10 times better ) ....to be honest sao paulo as place to fight is not that good as New York (that few missions in new york are the best missions in the game)....max payne 3 its aThis game is amazing....awesome graphics,voice acting, gun fight and else...but still not better than Max Payne 2....the multiplayer si really fun too...but the story it aint that good(max payne 1 and 2 was 10 times better ) ....to be honest sao paulo as place to fight is not that good as New York (that few missions in new york are the best missions in the game)....max payne 3 its a masterpiece but the not perfect...a 9 from me Expand
  75. Jun 10, 2012
    This game is 80% cutscenes, 10% will to play, and 10% gameplay, and 100% crap story.
    This game was the fall of rockstar. Graphics don't make a game, stick the gameplay.
  76. May 23, 2012
    I beat the original Max Payne when I was in high school and have been a long time fan for many years. I just finished Max Payne 3 and it's amazing. Everything is good about the game but the story is the best part, you really feel like you are Max and you're making a stand. Buy this game, you won't regret it!
  77. Oct 18, 2012
    Max Payne 3 isn't an open world game like most of rockstar's games, nether the less it is a solid experience. The story had me hooked from the beginning and Brazil is a beautiful location. You play as a bodyguard for Rodrigo Branco, but after things go wrong you end up shooting your way out of most situations. The graphics are gorgeous, the gameplay is tight and the shootdodge mechanic isMax Payne 3 isn't an open world game like most of rockstar's games, nether the less it is a solid experience. The story had me hooked from the beginning and Brazil is a beautiful location. You play as a bodyguard for Rodrigo Branco, but after things go wrong you end up shooting your way out of most situations. The graphics are gorgeous, the gameplay is tight and the shootdodge mechanic is so rewarding. If you don't like overly long cut scenes then i would probably steer clear of this game as there are a lot of them, otherwise i would recommend this game. Expand
  78. May 29, 2012
    An interesting approach on the whole. A step forward in many regards--all the post-effects on the gameplay, the immersive storytelling and all the back-loading keep the player involved in the story with no load times--but a very linear experience that doesn't allow the player much leeway in the traditional "game" sense. It's fully designed to be an interactive story--one that's alreadyAn interesting approach on the whole. A step forward in many regards--all the post-effects on the gameplay, the immersive storytelling and all the back-loading keep the player involved in the story with no load times--but a very linear experience that doesn't allow the player much leeway in the traditional "game" sense. It's fully designed to be an interactive story--one that's already told and already decided, but you get to interact with the "cool" parts. Interesting stuff. Expand
  79. Aug 29, 2012
    For being a linear story game Max Payne feels like open world. I mean that in a sense that no matter how many times the same thing you do in each chapter or level it doesn't feel the same, and actually very fun and cinematic feel. I give the story pacing a very good 9/10, the only reason why it didn't get 10/10 is because it felt rushed at the last minute. Then the character development isFor being a linear story game Max Payne feels like open world. I mean that in a sense that no matter how many times the same thing you do in each chapter or level it doesn't feel the same, and actually very fun and cinematic feel. I give the story pacing a very good 9/10, the only reason why it didn't get 10/10 is because it felt rushed at the last minute. Then the character development is extremely good for a game. You fell for Max and you want him to win, ironically he doesn't all the time which makes for good plot twist often very depressing. I would give characters and character development a 10/10 and plot 10/10, both did really well because of how serious the game felt without being like a soap opera, with the terrible acting and stupid plot twist. Then the multiplayer is really good too. I mean it is really balanced and gang wars is interesting and alot of replyability and bullet time. The only thing holding it back is that leveling up can sometimes feel like a long time. Now the only thing that is really drops the score for me is character mobility. Now i decided to score this because of two reasons. One is that they had a huge budget to spend and it is a linear game to details like this can often make or break a linear game. Two is because it is very important aspect because max Payne is a hard game, and often cover to cover is the only way to survive especially in multiplayer. Now i know in campaign Max isn't some Ezio and he can't really do parkour or barrel rolls with ease or anything like that but when it comes to multiplayer it feels like my guy no matter how heavy or like he/she is, it still feels like a big tank and somewhat slow which feels very awkward, and at times it feels like my avatar just ate 3 big macs with large fries. So unfortunately because of multiplayer character control i have to give character feel a 6/10. Its good in campaign but in multiplayer it can be really frustrating. Now adding up the scores this game receives 45/50 or a 9/10 for me. Expand
  80. Nov 30, 2014
    The best feature about this game is bullet time, it's so awesome! This is a really good 3rd person shooter. It has a good story line and awesome slow-mo shooting scenes. The only bad thing about it are the cutscenes, some are unskippable and repetitive. But the game is really good and really addictive.
  81. Jun 10, 2012
    One of the worst shooters I've played in a while, but let me break it down:

The good: The story has some interesting twists and turns, and creates a nice setting for Max to develop as a character. Also the game as a whole is relatively polished and the graphics are decent. The bad: Everything else. I enjoy the comic noir thing, and loved the first two games, but Max just whines
    One of the worst shooters I've played in a while, but let me break it down:

The bad: Everything else. I enjoy the comic noir thing, and loved the first two games, but Max just whines throughout the whole game. He spend the entire game pitying himself and killing people. He doesn't progress, he just whines and whines and whines and goes on about how things couldn't get any worse but they will anyways. Terrible character writing for Max, not to mention the helpless women who scream after every gunshot no matter how many they hear. Most importantly, though, the gunplay is terrible. Bullet time works, technically, but you're not given enough, and bullets travel slower than people move. The time from when you fire to when the bullet hits the enemy is enough time for them to jerk enough to turn a headshot into a near-zero-damage shoulder graze and the enemies react inhumanely quick.

The "level design" looks nice, but scene after scene after scene you're thrown into a bunch of enemies, which should be fun, but time after time you're given no cover, or insufficient cover, and left to deplete your bullet time while getting hit anyways. Nearly every bit of cover you get you'll get hit around, which makes careful play pointless and virtually as functional as charging in with no care whatsoever. Random headshots kill you, and the longer you try and actually play carefully the more likely someone is to score one on you. Enemies fire accurately through tons of environmental obstacles you can barely see them through, and ALL of your progress is entirely linear giving you no freedom in approach. This game succeeds at little aside from having a solid budget.
  82. Aug 27, 2012
    At first I was a little apprehensive in the knowledge that the series had now gone to Sao Paulo, but Rockstar's writing certainly assuaged my fears. They knew what they were doing when they took Max and sent him on an odyssey through a land where the fabulously rich live beside the crushingly poor. Gunplay is fantastic, and the animation keeps you in the action all the way. Play this game,At first I was a little apprehensive in the knowledge that the series had now gone to Sao Paulo, but Rockstar's writing certainly assuaged my fears. They knew what they were doing when they took Max and sent him on an odyssey through a land where the fabulously rich live beside the crushingly poor. Gunplay is fantastic, and the animation keeps you in the action all the way. Play this game, it'll take you for one hell of a ride. Expand
  83. Jun 24, 2012
    Firstly to the haters.If anyone of you havent experienced or played max payne game before then to be literal YOU WONT LIKE THIS A BIT because max payne games have always been linear and in service of narrative cinematics while retaining dark atmosphere.I have been playing max payne since its original release 2001 and still do with lots of awesome mods created by fans specially for MaxFirstly to the haters.If anyone of you havent experienced or played max payne game before then to be literal YOU WONT LIKE THIS A BIT because max payne games have always been linear and in service of narrative cinematics while retaining dark atmosphere.I have been playing max payne since its original release 2001 and still do with lots of awesome mods created by fans specially for Max Payne 2.Max Payne 3 didnt feel like a max payne game at all to be honest and die hard fans might agree with that.ITS JUST A LINEAR AND OVERSCRIPTED GTA IV TO BE SPECIFIC.NOIR STYLE,DREAM SEQUENCES,DARK ATMOSPHERE,FEELING OFMAX PAYNE CHARACTER ALL ARE GONE.in the first two games we actually felt the resonance of the tensed situations and feel of a max as a character.To be Max Payne 3 is a sheer disappointment.Remedy will regret the loss of such iconic character by rockstar and its GTA fanbase.PROS:Terrific voice acting and level design,,great shoot outs CONS:Not in any way feels like a max payne game.even the story is cliched with predictable outcome,no dream sequences,no character feeling,Mona Sax is completely forgotten in the latest installment.Overall IF I WERE NEW TO MP SERIES THEN I WOULD HAVE RATED IT 9 BUT AS A DIE HARD FAN OF THE SERIES FOR A DECADE I AM DISAPPOINTED.SAME THING HAPPENED TO SPLINTER CELL SERIES WHEN CONVICTION WAS RELEASED AND NOW MAX PAYNE.START WORRYING ABOUT 47 Expand
  84. May 19, 2012
    The problem with Max Payne 3 is, that it is not Max Payne. Cover: Max Payne doesn't need cover. The bullet time IS his cover. Taking cover is also way more effective than bullet time due to the narrow environments.
    Effects: the Kane & Lynch aesthetic is terribly distracting. Controls: clunky and unresponsive. Graphics: ok, but nothing special, the animations are awful especially in multiplayer.
  85. May 17, 2012
    Really love Max Payne 3 a lot. I am on chapter 3 of the single player and it has me so engaged. I can't recall the last time I was into a single player of game this much (Maybe Bulletstorm). The multiplayer is really fun as well. I think this is for sure a must own game. Even if your not super big on shooters you will enjoy it due to it's great story, cut scenes, graphics and voice acting.
  86. Mar 14, 2013
    So Max is back to deal out more death and violence while pumping painkillers and booze. But is it any good? Well, yes! As a matter of fact it's rather excellent and a very satisfying 3rd person shooter, which does justice to the Max Payne franchise. But that being said, I did have a few problems with it. First of all there's the constantly shaking camera and the lens flare, which sometimesSo Max is back to deal out more death and violence while pumping painkillers and booze. But is it any good? Well, yes! As a matter of fact it's rather excellent and a very satisfying 3rd person shooter, which does justice to the Max Payne franchise. But that being said, I did have a few problems with it. First of all there's the constantly shaking camera and the lens flare, which sometimes made me feel like Michael Bay and J. J. Abrams had decided to make a game together. Sorry, but I'm not a fan. When used to this extent it looses it's dramatic effect and feels more like a 4-year old jumping up and down flailing his arms while screaming, "Look at me, look at me, look at me, look at me!" It got so bad I actually had to stop playing at times, fearing a seizure.
    The second thing is the huge amount of cut scenes. Though they are very well made and does a good job of telling the story, they simply interrupt the action way too often. Just as a good firefight is going on and I was all psyched up BANG! another 3-5 minutes cut scene ripped me out of the game. It got to a stage where I literally shouted, "NO!" when it happened because it became detrimental to the gaming experience.
    But all said and done, Max Payne 3 is an excellent 3rd person shooter which is definitely worth a look, but be prepared for some really annoying interruptions.
  87. Jun 22, 2013
    This is good and excellent game it gets half of the things right for a good game but accept it has one flaw that holds it back one those very annoying visual effects uhh every second it felt like I was in Kane and Lynch uhh I hate those things but you must by this title because it introduces you. You have a very good battles but this a game you must buy not let it slip off your hands.
  88. May 21, 2012
    I loved the old max payne games, however this one was a disappointment. Though there is nothing technically wrong with it. It felt repetitive, and I felt like I had to force myself to finish it. The story is good, however the shooting/action is just the same bullet dodge/slow time, hide in cover, pop out rinse repeat. The online was also a distraction, at first it was a lot of fun, butI loved the old max payne games, however this one was a disappointment. Though there is nothing technically wrong with it. It felt repetitive, and I felt like I had to force myself to finish it. The story is good, however the shooting/action is just the same bullet dodge/slow time, hide in cover, pop out rinse repeat. The online was also a distraction, at first it was a lot of fun, but after a few hours it begins to feel stale as well. A fun little distraction for a few days, but ultimately lacks the depth needed to be a mainstay. However I didn't know why I was expecting anything different, Rockstar stayed true to the original games, and the gaming landscape has changed since then. A good story can't carry mediocre gameplay, and online is just a tacked on side note. Disappointment. Expand
  89. May 18, 2012
    Forget that guys that doesn't know appreciate different ways to present a game. Max Payne 3 have the most recent way to tell us a excellent cinematographic story and a terrific graphics. This game will be remember as one of the better games in 2012. I know that this is no a GOTY (maybe), but is in the level of any good game in this year. Thanks Rockstar for this excellent game and thanksForget that guys that doesn't know appreciate different ways to present a game. Max Payne 3 have the most recent way to tell us a excellent cinematographic story and a terrific graphics. This game will be remember as one of the better games in 2012. I know that this is no a GOTY (maybe), but is in the level of any good game in this year. Thanks Rockstar for this excellent game and thanks Remedy for create Max Payne. Expand
  90. May 15, 2012
    This is truly a fantastic game. Max Payne 3 is a great shooter with an extremely fascinating script and storyline that totally succeeds in delivering a perfect noir tale! The pacing is just the right speed and I personally had no trouble playing this game nonstop for more than a couple of hours. The graphics, full of detail and constantly very colorful and at times and very beautiful asThis is truly a fantastic game. Max Payne 3 is a great shooter with an extremely fascinating script and storyline that totally succeeds in delivering a perfect noir tale! The pacing is just the right speed and I personally had no trouble playing this game nonstop for more than a couple of hours. The graphics, full of detail and constantly very colorful and at times and very beautiful as well. The characters, brimming with interesting personality traits all while delivering quick, intriguing, and sometimes very funny lines. The action and gameplay, a huge amount of fun that never grows tiring and always works well and correctly. And Max Payne himself, as engaging and engrossing a character as ever while also being voiced wonderfully by James McCaffrey. With an endlessly fun multiplayer and an incredibly involving story this comes up to make this game is yet another triumph to add to Rockstar's list! Expand
  91. Sep 3, 2012
    Solid. If you like good graphics and blur effects plus the classical storytelling from Max Payne, you are in. Bullet Time is a nice extra, once you feel comfortable with the sometimes clunky controls. I enjoyed the replay by constantly using the Bullet Time which makes the whole game a kind of LSD trip.
  92. Oct 16, 2012
    It is clear that Max Payne 3 has been used "the latest technology, innovative design, large mechanical and absorbing narrative and people to redefine the third-person shooters", do not think they redefined anything, but have become one of shooting games I've played most powerful in the entire generation.
  93. Apr 22, 2013
    This game is one of the most overrated games I ever play and let me explain why I think this game is overrated.
    1st: The targeting reticule is the worst I seen in all shooter games, and the shooting mechanics can be bad at times with it unbalance shooting mechanics.
    2nd: Max moves so slow and sluggish and even worst when you on a prone position while moving from the floor to cover and get shot while doing it. This makes the game less fun to play and even annoyingly frustrating at times.
    3rd: There is so many unskipable cutscenes (which destroy its replayability completely) and even the cutscene it's self wasn't that good of a cutscene and some cutscene can be cheesy and lame at times.
    4th: Max narrative are too much and can be annoying at time and half of those narrative are lame and unnecessary.
    5th: Glitch encounter on the Xbox 360 version from Max get stuck on cover to game freezing in the cutscenes.
    6th: Lighting distortion and highlighting unwanted words on screen can be very annoying.
    7th: Story is good but some of the plotlines are lame, unoriginal and predictable.
    8th: Why Max never killed the guy who shot Fabiana and let him go?
    9th: Boring and Unbalance multiplayer.
    10th: The game is generic and very linear.
  94. May 19, 2012
    So often regarded as the gold standard of games developers, RockStar seems to be on a bit of a dip in recent years.
    GTA and Red Dead were stunning games, then along came L.A. Bore. It was terrible, but I forgave them and looked forward to Max Payne 3.
    But I'm disappointed again. Just like L.A. Noire, it's a demonstration of style over substance. It looks and sounds great, but it's so linear it might as well be an on-rails shooter. Those are the moments that you actually get to PLAY the game, cos the majority of your time will be spent watching cut scenes. There were parts during these interludes where I was thinking: Hey! I could be in control of that bit!
    The controls are clunky. When you are in control, it doesn't quite feel like you are. It's somewhat disengaged.
    This is my opinion after reaching the end of "Chapter 4", so I suppose there is time for redemption.
    Quickly played team death match...uninspiring run and gun festival of repetition.

Please RockStar, lift your game for GTA5. I need that to be great.
  95. Jul 15, 2012
    The fact of the matter is that the only way to really appreciate and avoid some valid criticisms of Max Payne 3, one must see this game as more of a new envisioning of the franchise. What made the original game stand out aside from the bullet time gameplay was minute details; the fact that groups of enemies had hilarious conversations between each other, or the ingenious narrative withThe fact of the matter is that the only way to really appreciate and avoid some valid criticisms of Max Payne 3, one must see this game as more of a new envisioning of the franchise. What made the original game stand out aside from the bullet time gameplay was minute details; the fact that groups of enemies had hilarious conversations between each other, or the ingenious narrative with catchy phrases that practically defines the noir genre, and the entire dark shades and tones that overtook the graphics- Max Payne 3 does not so much do away with these things as update and modernize the series to meet the standards of today.

For some players, immersion may be instantaneous from the hook, and for others, it may take longer, and there may be those who essentially give up because they find it mundane, however; the game is best seen like a playable movie that, by the second disc, truly shines: The narrative becomes more astute, the character of Max Payne becomes polished, and the story begins to pick up with quite some twists and turns.

The gameplay is so refined that this game is the pinnacle of its genre and with the graphics and attention to detail being by far the best for action shooters thus far, Max Payne 3 truly shines as the must have and must play for anyone who wants an experience beyond anything out in the market.

Another important note is the surprising amount of replay value and goodies, such as collectible
  96. May 17, 2012
    Solid gameplay and unquestionably impressive graphics. However, I do feel it's 'been there done that' terrain we've encountered one too many times before.
  97. May 23, 2012
    this game is addictive and lots of fun. I enjoyed the story(although some might find it a bit predictable), the combat is also great(although, I would have liked to be able to carry a few more weapons, and at least 1 or 2 explosives). The only problem I had with it is that I couldn't put it down and now I am finished with the game (only 4 days after I got it). Though, I can see me playingthis game is addictive and lots of fun. I enjoyed the story(although some might find it a bit predictable), the combat is also great(although, I would have liked to be able to carry a few more weapons, and at least 1 or 2 explosives). The only problem I had with it is that I couldn't put it down and now I am finished with the game (only 4 days after I got it). Though, I can see me playing it again sometime in the future. Expand
  98. Aug 2, 2012
    The game is amazing.The story is well worth playing multiple times and the "In A New York Minuet" Mode make it very fun to play and compete against other player's time.The multiplayer can get a bit frustrating at times but I played it and never got mad that my team lost because I was having so much fun.The bullet time feature in multiplayer is amazingly fun and works very well.But the gameThe game is amazing.The story is well worth playing multiple times and the "In A New York Minuet" Mode make it very fun to play and compete against other player's time.The multiplayer can get a bit frustrating at times but I played it and never got mad that my team lost because I was having so much fun.The bullet time feature in multiplayer is amazingly fun and works very well.But the game does have its flaws,some players do cheat in online and the story is very hard to follow if you're a new comer to the Max Payne story.The multiplayer will need a little time to get the hang of but other than that the game is amazingly fun. Expand
  99. Nov 1, 2012
    In terms of general production values the game is great - visuals and gameplay are both tight and the dialogue works quite well too. The main problem with the game (to me) is that the main character is someone who doesn't care about life and whose job it is to protect people so obnoxious that I don't care if they die, making the first hours a bit tedious. But lacking initiative to keepIn terms of general production values the game is great - visuals and gameplay are both tight and the dialogue works quite well too. The main problem with the game (to me) is that the main character is someone who doesn't care about life and whose job it is to protect people so obnoxious that I don't care if they die, making the first hours a bit tedious. But lacking initiative to keep playing based on story, it's still a tight action game for anyone who likes cover shooters and bullet time. Expand
  100. Sep 22, 2013
    I believe this is one of the worst games rockstar has developed... Here are the reasons..

1)Extremely linear No choice.. no freedom.. You are directed exactly as the game wants it.. 2) The bullet time mechanic is cool, but after the first 1000 kills it gets boring and repetitive.. 3) The game repeats its self a lot!! Go into a room kill 100 enemies, go to the next room kill another

3) The game repeats its self a lot!! Go into a room kill 100 enemies, go to the next room kill another 100 it goes on for 10-12 hours..
    4)You can not skip cut scenes!! Which during your second playthough is an issue!
    5) way too much talking by max payne... almost non-stop!

101. Jul 17, 2012
    I really wanted to like this game, honest. I am a big fan of rockstar and their games (with my favorites being Red Dead Redemption and Grand Theft Auto 4), but this one just didn't cut it for me. On one hand, you have great visuals, with nearly all of your surroundings reacting to the many firefights you have throughout the game; Max has some of the most inventive skills I have everI really wanted to like this game, honest. I am a big fan of rockstar and their games (with my favorites being Red Dead Redemption and Grand Theft Auto 4), but this one just didn't cut it for me. On one hand, you have great visuals, with nearly all of your surroundings reacting to the many firefights you have throughout the game; Max has some of the most inventive skills I have ever seen in a third person shooter, and I would often dive into bullet-time just because I could. On the flip side, however, the controls can be quite a pain to deal with, as my character would often get caught on walls while performing bullet-time. I would get snagged behind cover, struggling to get my character out of the way of oncoming bullets or grenades. The story was fantastic, but how far can good story and great visuals carry a game with bad controls? Collapse

1. Jul 8, 2012
    A compelling, down and dirty bullet basket populated by real characters and visceral gunplay. [July 2012, p.55]
  2. Jun 26, 2012
    The presentation is top-notch, the game feels like you want it to never end while you're playing it, and the multiplayer gives it longevity that will stick around for a good while.
  3. Jun 20, 2012
    Max Payne 3 is a great action-movie experience with life-like characters that Rockstar is famous for. It does fall a bit flat on the actual action part, however. The controls on consoles are confusing and hard to get used to. Still very much worth a play-thru. It's also one of the best looking console games in the current generation. [June 2012]