Max Payne 3 Xbox 360

7.8

1. Aug 2, 2012
    The game is amazing.The story is well worth playing multiple times and the "In A New York Minuet" Mode make it very fun to play and compete against other player's time.The multiplayer can get a bit frustrating at times but I played it and never got mad that my team lost because I was having so much fun.The bullet time feature in multiplayer is amazingly fun and works very well.But the gameThe game is amazing.The story is well worth playing multiple times and the "In A New York Minuet" Mode make it very fun to play and compete against other player's time.The multiplayer can get a bit frustrating at times but I played it and never got mad that my team lost because I was having so much fun.The bullet time feature in multiplayer is amazingly fun and works very well.But the game does have its flaws,some players do cheat in online and the story is very hard to follow if you're a new comer to the Max Payne story.The multiplayer will need a little time to get the hang of but other than that the game is amazingly fun. Expand
  2. Oct 16, 2012
    It is clear that Max Payne 3 has been used "the latest technology, innovative design, large mechanical and absorbing narrative and people to redefine the third-person shooters", do not think they redefined anything, but have become one of shooting games I've played most powerful in the entire generation.
  3. Jul 15, 2012
    The fact of the matter is that the only way to really appreciate and avoid some valid criticisms of Max Payne 3, one must see this game as more of a new envisioning of the franchise. What made the original game stand out aside from the bullet time gameplay was minute details; the fact that groups of enemies had hilarious conversations between each other, or the ingenious narrative withThe fact of the matter is that the only way to really appreciate and avoid some valid criticisms of Max Payne 3, one must see this game as more of a new envisioning of the franchise. What made the original game stand out aside from the bullet time gameplay was minute details; the fact that groups of enemies had hilarious conversations between each other, or the ingenious narrative with catchy phrases that practically defines the noir genre, and the entire dark shades and tones that overtook the graphics- Max Payne 3 does not so much do away with these things as update and modernize the series to meet the standards of today.

For some players, immersion may be instantaneous from the hook, and for others, it may take longer, and there may be those who essentially give up because they find it mundane, however; the game is best seen like a playable movie that, by the second disc, truly shines: The narrative becomes more astute, the character of Max Payne becomes polished, and the story begins to pick up with quite some twists and turns.

The gameplay is so refined that this game is the pinnacle of its genre and with the graphics and attention to detail being by far the best for action shooters thus far, Max Payne 3 truly shines as the must have and must play for anyone who wants an experience beyond anything out in the market.

Another important note is the surprising amount of replay value and goodies, such as collectible
  4. May 17, 2012
    Solid gameplay and unquestionably impressive graphics. However, I do feel it's 'been there done that' terrain we've encountered one too many times before.
  5. May 24, 2012
    Max Payne 3 is probably the best 3rd person shooter I have ever played. I know with it being a Rockstar game you're expected to get a well developed, an outstanding quality product and an immersive experience, Rockstar certainly have done this.

To me MP3 makes you actually care about the characters involved in the story especially MP himself, not many games can make you feel emotional for the protagonist or what is happening around them, once again Rockstar deliver for what their renowned for and thats focusing on giving the audience the best experience possible from the campaign. A lot of people are complaining about the cutscene transition, as far as I'm aware this have never been done in a game before and it works so well, there is a good balance of gameplay and cutscences (I didn't notice there being so many cutscenes that most of the game is based around watching rather than playing?) you never feel lost as to what is happening and it's really immersive how you suddenly become involved in the frantic shootouts. I personally don't feel Rockstar have taken away the core of the MP nostalgia, if anything they have developed on it and embraced it and have made it something their own which to me is a great thing, because we all know that the MP franchise (if they continue with any sequels) is in good hands and they will never dissapoint. The multiplayer aspect of the game is a nice and interesting concept because the previous MP games didn't have the kind of technology or experience to discover how bullet time could work in multiplayer. It's a lof of fun and quite addictive and just feels like a scale downed version of GTA 4 with bullet time but that's not a bad thing.

However the real main reason to pick this game up is for the single player, anyone whom is a MP fan or is new to the series, I reccommend this game without shadow of a doubt you will not be disappointed.
  6. Nov 1, 2012
    In terms of general production values the game is great - visuals and gameplay are both tight and the dialogue works quite well too. The main problem with the game (to me) is that the main character is someone who doesn't care about life and whose job it is to protect people so obnoxious that I don't care if they die, making the first hours a bit tedious. But lacking initiative to keepIn terms of general production values the game is great - visuals and gameplay are both tight and the dialogue works quite well too. The main problem with the game (to me) is that the main character is someone who doesn't care about life and whose job it is to protect people so obnoxious that I don't care if they die, making the first hours a bit tedious. But lacking initiative to keep playing based on story, it's still a tight action game for anyone who likes cover shooters and bullet time. Expand
  7. Apr 22, 2013
    This game is one of the most overrated games I ever play and let me explain why I think this game is overrated.
    1st: The targeting reticule is the worst I seen in all shooter games, and the shooting mechanics can be bad at times with it unbalance shooting mechanics.
    2nd: Max moves so slow and sluggish and even worst when you on a prone position while moving from the floor to cover and get shot while doing it. This makes the game less fun to play and even annoyingly frustrating at times.
    3rd: There is so many unskipable cutscenes (which destroy its replayability completely) and even the cutscene it's self wasn't that good of a cutscene and some cutscene can be cheesy and lame at times.
    4th: Max narrative are too much and can be annoying at time and half of those narrative are lame and unnecessary.
    5th: Glitch encounter on the Xbox 360 version from Max get stuck on cover to game freezing in the cutscenes.
    6th: Lighting distortion and highlighting unwanted words on screen can be very annoying.
    7th: Story is good but some of the plotlines are lame, unoriginal and predictable.
    8th: Why Max never killed the guy who shot Fabiana and let him go?
    9th: Boring and Unbalance multiplayer.
    10th: The game is generic and very linear.
  8. Sep 22, 2013
    I believe this is one of the worst games rockstar has developed... Here are the reasons..

1)Extremely linear No choice.. no freedom.. You are directed exactly as the game wants it.. 2) The bullet time mechanic is cool, but after the first 1000 kills it gets boring and repetitive.. 3) The game repeats its self a lot!! Go into a room kill 100 enemies, go to the next room kill another

3) The game repeats its self a lot!! Go into a room kill 100 enemies, go to the next room kill another 100 it goes on for 10-12 hours..
    4)You can not skip cut scenes!! Which during your second playthough is an issue!
    5) way too much talking by max payne... almost non-stop!

9. May 15, 2012
    graphic in this game is great but it isn t the best ever,gameplay and AI is REALY THE BEST EVERRRRRR,game is short but story is great I so love this game keep up the good work Rockstar
  10. Jun 20, 2012
    I played Max Payne 3 on hard - here is my response to that.

I played Max Payne 3 on hard - here is my response to that.

Max Payne 3 like the character is a washed-up, painkiller addicted, whiskey-soaked piece of trash that bears no similarity to the previous two games. Gone is Max Payne's sly wit and slow brooding style of narration which is replaced by a long-winded chatterbox who never stops **** about how awful his situation is - even though Max could quit whenever he wanted and go home. At times during the game Max speaks to himself with more than one voice at once, causing a cluster **** of gibberish that is unrecognizable and quite annoying, especially when it spills over into a cut-scene.

The cut-scenes in the game are a huge letdown, removing the comic book style (the coolest type of cut-scenes to date in video gaming in my opinion) and rubber stamping the game with Rockstar's patented Grand Theft Auto/Red Dead Redemption/L.A. Noire formula which is worsened by frequent buzzing/color dysphoria in the picture and the absence of player controlled subtitles. Another annoyance is scripted cut-scenes in the game where the game takes control away from the player to show what Max wants to look at. This is increasingly annoying as the game continues, most prominently when Max needs to cover his cop friend with a sniper rifle. The reason why it is so annoying at this point is there IS no reason for them to take control away from the player - the game is not automatically sniping for us, so why does it take control? When situations like this occur in the game it just causes anger, confusion, or annoyance.

Enemies who used to be a dime-a-dozen thugs who go down after a single head-shot or shotgun blast are now zombie-like enemies who take two shotgun blasts to the chest and fall down ... only to rise again to shoot Max in the back for a quick kill. No matter how stealthy you are in Max Payne 3 your enemies will always know exactly where you are even if using a silenced weapon they will find you unless it is a scripted sequence in the game. The A.I. in Max Payne is really good at shooting through the invisible walls that sometimes block your bullets which increases their advantage over you with their zombie-like vitality. The A.I. is also surprisingly well designed, and many times as Max Payne I found myself surrounded on all sides and the Rockstar programmers deserve to be congratulated on that at least. An unfortunate part of the programming is the hit-box detection, which I will illustrated through an example: In a helicopter sequence where Max covers a woman - he has a laser-guided high powered rifle that takes out enemies in one shot, super easy right? Wrong. Three people witnessed my shooting and no one could believe it as the person I was covering got executed over and over again despite my gunfire going directly through the enemies chasing her, guided by the laser sight on the gun. I wasn't even going for head-shots mind you, direct shots to the chest without any flare or style. It just didn't hit. Some of the controls in the game are stupidly assigned like either of the two buttons dedicated to bullet time. Having a thumbstick used for something that important in the game is just unforgivable in design, and perhaps owning the first two on computer skews my perspective - but having one key for both slowing time and diving (if pressed while going in a direction) seemed a lot more intuitive than the controls of the game which often saw me diving over railings or into the water causing death which put me back to the last **** cut-scene that I saw 30 bad guys ago.

Suffice it to say that Max Payne 3 is one tough whiny **** that just doesn't hit what it aims at.
  11. May 15, 2012
    This game is simply awesome. We have been waiting too long for new maxe payne but we made it and as the result is very good game with nice graphic and with good gameplay. Story is not longer as it can be but still good. Max gets little bit older but he can still shoot and with combination of bullet time and story you get nice continue of previous chapter.
  12. May 19, 2012
    Rockstar has done it again! Max Payne 3 is just another great game that Rockstar has developed! The gameplay is very smooth, and transactions from gameplay to cutscene or cutscene to gameplay is very well done as it is the smoothest that I have ever played. I did not play any of the earlier Max Paynes so I was a little bit worried that I would be lost in the story. Thankfully this wasn'tRockstar has done it again! Max Payne 3 is just another great game that Rockstar has developed! The gameplay is very smooth, and transactions from gameplay to cutscene or cutscene to gameplay is very well done as it is the smoothest that I have ever played. I did not play any of the earlier Max Paynes so I was a little bit worried that I would be lost in the story. Thankfully this wasn't the case I was able to pick the game up and play, as well as know what was going on. The multiplayer is extreamly addicting and fun to play. With so many different modes like, Gang Wars, Team Deathmatch, and just plain old deathmatch (free for all) THE VERDICT: Max Payne 3 is a great game and I suggest that everyone go out and buy it. The game is even better with friends. Nothing like kicking back with a couple of buddies and playing some Gang wars (which will give you alot of cash, and XP! Stay thirsty gamers Expand
  13. May 21, 2012
    Max Payne bring back memories, Max Payne 2 was one of my favorite games, I've been waiting for this game and hoped that it will not suck.
    what do you know, I was right, this game.. this game is god damn awsome.
    what do you know, I was right, this game.. this game is god damn awsome.
    the animation of Max really makes you feel like you are Max, the graphics are very good but there is some low detail graphics here and there I believe it is because of the limited power of the console and not the actual game.
    the gameplay is.. amazing, one of the best - if not the best gun play I've played. the enemies feels aware and the AI is changed based on what kind of enemy it is - oh and btw this game made me learn - flak jacket is one hell of protection.
    the sound and voice acting is very good, same old max, dark depressed and sarcastic.
    the multiplayer have lots to unlock and load of challenges to complete, the mods are fun to play and bursts make the game interesting.
    I will not spoil the story - I will end it here.
    this game is great, buy it, play it, have a lot of fun with it.
  14. May 16, 2012
    I have never played a Max Payne game before but this game intrigued me and boy am I glad I bought it! If anyone is doubting buying this because they've never played the series, buy it because it is loads of fun. The story is very cinematic and has a great premise. The story immerses you into the game and makes you want to keep playing. The multiplayer is fun as well but its more fun if youI have never played a Max Payne game before but this game intrigued me and boy am I glad I bought it! If anyone is doubting buying this because they've never played the series, buy it because it is loads of fun. The story is very cinematic and has a great premise. The story immerses you into the game and makes you want to keep playing. The multiplayer is fun as well but its more fun if you play with a crew. Overall its a pretty good game and I recommend it to anyone who likes third person shooters or shooters in general. Graphics are a 9/10, gameplay is a 10/10, lasting appeal is a 9/10, and story is a 10/10 Expand
  15. Jun 12, 2012
    An OK game. Unlike Payne I and II there is not a lot of sneak up and listen to the mobsters then bust through the door and nail them all in bullet time. For some reason the AI always knows where you are regardless of how sneaky you are as if they are alerted to your presence immediately upon entering an area. Payne is constantly talking about something which actually got annoying becauseAn OK game. Unlike Payne I and II there is not a lot of sneak up and listen to the mobsters then bust through the door and nail them all in bullet time. For some reason the AI always knows where you are regardless of how sneaky you are as if they are alerted to your presence immediately upon entering an area. Payne is constantly talking about something which actually got annoying because if your in a room for more than 5 seconds he is already telling you where you need to go. The enemies did not increase in difficulty much throughout the game either. Payne fought for women he loved, out of revenge in I and II. In II he has no emotional connection to the people he is trying to save other than they pay his bar tab. I love Max Payne and could not give a negative review but it was a pretty poorly made game overall. Expand
  16. Jul 13, 2012
    What a game. It reinvents what it created to begin with. Pure innovation. Great to the point it feels like a movie. Online play isn't your regular Call of Duty Modern Warfare, but it does try.
  17. Jun 20, 2012
    Fantastically done. its fun, graphics are wonderful, story is very good and long singleplayer and multilayer experience. might truly be the best third person shooter out there. no joke. Great buy, worth every penny.
  18. May 18, 2012
    What an amazing game! Im a huge fan of remedy and max payne, and rockstar have done a great job!
    Even if you havent played max payne , this is the best TPS of this generation...

Fantastic story, fantastic gameplay...sound is amazing.

Go buy it now!
  19. May 21, 2012
    This isnt the Max Payne I remember. Something is just off and what I remember from the computer game ten years back was not improved upon. The dark, bizarre, cold feeling that I was left with is simply not here this go around.
  20. Jun 3, 2012
    It's Rockstar game but it's far from GTA or RDR. Some complain about the cinematics frequency but for me this game is like good, adult action movie and I definitely like such story driven gameplay. I am a fan of first Max Payne but this game couldn't (and shouldn't) resemble that classic. Instead we've got modern gameplay mechanics combined with great story of redemption and revenge. MaxIt's Rockstar game but it's far from GTA or RDR. Some complain about the cinematics frequency but for me this game is like good, adult action movie and I definitely like such story driven gameplay. I am a fan of first Max Payne but this game couldn't (and shouldn't) resemble that classic. Instead we've got modern gameplay mechanics combined with great story of redemption and revenge. Max may be older but he's still badass. Expand
  21. Feb 17, 2013
    It had been quite a while since I had played a shooter, so I thought I would pick one up. I decided to go for Max Payne 3 as I had been a fan of the first two games and it was currently on special offer. I was not sure what to expect from this installation, but I was glad to see that it largely lived up to it's predecessors. Just like in the first two games, Max is a fun character to playIt had been quite a while since I had played a shooter, so I thought I would pick one up. I decided to go for Max Payne 3 as I had been a fan of the first two games and it was currently on special offer. I was not sure what to expect from this installation, but I was glad to see that it largely lived up to it's predecessors. Just like in the first two games, Max is a fun character to play as cynical, jaded and with awful luck (and now with a serious drink/pills problem). Many bemoaned to move away from the film noir, graphic novel aspect of the first two, but it felt right to leave that behind in my opinion, as the game's setting would not suit that feel. For those who like their games at the cutting age technology-wise, maybe this is not for you the graphics are average and there are some technical issues at times. For the rest of us who are simply looking for a fun way so spend a few hours, you could do a lot worse than picking up Max Payne 3 and blowing away a few thousand terrorists, crooked cops and drug dealers. Expand
  22. Aug 19, 2012
    Rockstar did a great job with the franchise, everything works perfect and the game is fun to play. It is not, however, a good MAX PAYNE, and because of that I couldn't love it as much as I wanted to.
  23. Sep 2, 2012
    a very good game but it has a grim and depressing story some times upsetting but is very good!
    multiplayer is the best PVP games i have been in killing other player is so much better this game wipes the floor with Call Of Duty
  24. Aug 4, 2013
    Unlike the first Max Payne (the only one I played) I found myself not having the slightest amount of empathy for this guy this time around. A self-analyzing, angst ridden, drug addicted alcoholic is boring and tedious in real life. Who thought that would be a good idea for gaming protagonist? Hmm? NO. There was no real motivation to drive Max forward. He should have gone home after theUnlike the first Max Payne (the only one I played) I found myself not having the slightest amount of empathy for this guy this time around. A self-analyzing, angst ridden, drug addicted alcoholic is boring and tedious in real life. Who thought that would be a good idea for gaming protagonist? Hmm? NO. There was no real motivation to drive Max forward. He should have gone home after the Panama debacle if he had a brain left in his alcohol soaked brain. The combat controls were at times unresponsive. He might get glued to cover, and not respond quickly enough to the (inconsistently) overpowered approaching enemies. All of it was clunky in general. The cut scenes ruined it for me. What is it with the direction of developers lately? Look at Tomb Raider and Resident Evil Six. Apparently THEY want to play the game FOR us. They have gotten so egocentric recently. I esp. can't stand a forced walk. Every door in the first third of the game is a freaking cut scene. Every cut scene starts you back with a handgun. Some reloads after death put you right out with no cover and again, holding a hand gun instead of that grenade launcher you had 5 secs ago. Occasionally after a big battle, it goes straight to cut scene. Need ammo? Want to grab an assault rifle, tough s***, WE want to show you what great movie makers we are! Aren't you impressed? NO. I am not. Expand
  25. Jan 21, 2017
    Solo las misiones de los capitulos de las favelas hacen que este juego se te quede en la retina para siempre. Magnifico juego d accion en tercera persona, de los mejores de su genero.
  26. Aug 21, 2012
    I was skeptical whether I would like this Rockstar game at first but soon found out that this is a worthwhile game to play through once or twice. The graphics are about what you would hope for in a title at this point in current gen games. The bullet time effect and kill cam can make you feel like a true action hero at times and once you get used to the somewhat annoying controls, you\'llI was skeptical whether I would like this Rockstar game at first but soon found out that this is a worthwhile game to play through once or twice. The graphics are about what you would hope for in a title at this point in current gen games. The bullet time effect and kill cam can make you feel like a true action hero at times and once you get used to the somewhat annoying controls, you\'ll find yourself rolling in and out of cover positions about as gracefully as you can expect a middle aged, drunken; out of shape bad ass can. The controls and cover system definitely aren\'t ad precise as say GR: Future soldier, however Max Payne isn\'t exactly the special forces type. Despite the somewhat wonky controls the story flows seamlessly from one chapter to the next. It gives you a glimpse into Max\'s life and shows the depths of his sorrow. All in all it\'s a lot of fun. Expand
  27. May 17, 2012
    First, let's address the obvious. Remedy did not develop this game. It definitely doesn't look much like the Max Payne we all know and love from the past. This doesn't necessarily make it bad, but it is different. You pretty much can get the idea if you're going to like the new look from all the media floating around. I personally prefer the grittier looks of the past games, but thisFirst, let's address the obvious. Remedy did not develop this game. It definitely doesn't look much like the Max Payne we all know and love from the past. This doesn't necessarily make it bad, but it is different. You pretty much can get the idea if you're going to like the new look from all the media floating around. I personally prefer the grittier looks of the past games, but this is merely a matter of opinion. That being said, let's get down to the real business. Perhaps I am spoiled by the fluidity of most modern console games, but I found that Max Payne 3 seems to have a huge problem with framerate. For a game that relies so heavily on pinpoint precision when not using the godlike auto-aiming abilities, it can be hard when you're running approx 15fps or less. The tiny dot reticle can easily be lost in all the flying debris and the occasional Rockstar wonkiness of close-quarters encounters hinders the fun as well. When not experiencing aiming issues when trying to do it without assist, there are several times that while using autoaim, I found that I didn't even need to use the sticks. Just press the left trigger to acquire target, right trigger to fire. Repeat. So long as you are pointed in the cardinal direction of an enemy, you'll land a hit. That's a little too forgiving. All that aside, the sound and voice acting is top-notch, and the environments are very immersive. Unfortunately the pushy urgency of the game forces you into the next setpiece, rarely affording you the opportunity to explore the finer details that an artist toiled over. The cover system usually works well, only a couple places does it fail (doorways seem to be hit and miss). The character animations are fantastic and I think sit securely at the top of the heap. Kudos to the mo-cap actors and the artists. The bullet-time effects occasionally take you back to the good-ol' days of Max Payne and the Matrix, but it mostly comes off as a little tired. I only used it when it forced me to, or in a last ditch situation. Overall I think despite it's beauty, story and sound, I'm really not having that good of time playing it. Dare I say it is like Kane & Lynch, except the previous ran at 60fps on console. Maybe another month in the optimization oven would have vastly improved the game, but with the ability to update and patch games these days, perhaps R* will be able to address these issues. My recommendation would be "don't pay full price". I'd pay $40 for it without regrets, but I can't say I'm pleased have paid full-price. Expand
  28. May 23, 2012
    I have waited for this game for quite a while. The first two games were some of my best experiences I had when I owned the original xbox. This game was not what I had envisioned but I was more than satisfied even though there are a few things I did not like. Max Payne feels more real this time around his personality shines through. At the end you get to see an angry and determined MaxI have waited for this game for quite a while. The first two games were some of my best experiences I had when I owned the original xbox. This game was not what I had envisioned but I was more than satisfied even though there are a few things I did not like. Max Payne feels more real this time around his personality shines through. At the end you get to see an angry and determined Max hell bent on bringing the Payne. The gameplay isn't bad but there are a few small minor bugs/issues/bad ideas that frustrated me. Max can now take cover behind obstacles but it isn't a responsive or swift transgression when you're in a very intense fire fight and you want to move around as quickly as possible. There are moments after a cut scene when Max will switch to a one handed weapon instead of the two handed you were holding. That irritated the hell out of me. The presentation is top notch and is quite possibly one of the best in the history of the xbox 360. Story is told so well that it becomes highly memorable more so than recent 'blockbuster' games. It does get slow having to watch the cut scenes over and over again when all you want to do is shoot baddies. The loading times are also brutal. I don't see much of the old Max Payne series in this game so I would count this as a re-visioned Max Payne and not the one for the first two games. All in all it's a good single player experience and the multiplayer is average not something to really get excited about. "It's Payneee!!!!!" -Max Payne 2 Expand
  29. Nov 14, 2012
    Although, this game is in the style of Max Payne. It doesn't really have any connection to Max Payne 1 or 2. The atmosphere in Max Payne is top notch whether your firing at thugs in a club in mid air or or defending a fellow mercenary from sniper fire. The game feels extremely realistic and does have several creative missions. The problem is although they're are some creative bits. TheAlthough, this game is in the style of Max Payne. It doesn't really have any connection to Max Payne 1 or 2. The atmosphere in Max Payne is top notch whether your firing at thugs in a club in mid air or or defending a fellow mercenary from sniper fire. The game feels extremely realistic and does have several creative missions. The problem is although they're are some creative bits. The levels don't nearly match the creativity seen in Max Payne 1 where the levels weren't necessarily about the game-play but unraveling the deep narrative behind the plot with several innovative concepts strewn throughout the game. Max Payne 3 is mainly about pitted you in high pressure realistic scenarios full of noir and despair and watching you survive them realistically without out enough creative touches to keep it on par with the original. That being said this is in my opinion the most realistic shooting game ever made with an online mode just as frustrating. Expand
  30. May 22, 2012
    I think this game is highly overrated by professionals. By the score of >9 one would think this is an instant classice but it isnt't, it;s average and gets boring in the end. I am fond of Rockstar games I liked Red Dead Redemption a lot and also LA Noire, but this game has little development during the 14 chapters. Gameplay in chapters 1 and 14 dont differ. Story is really interesting andI think this game is highly overrated by professionals. By the score of >9 one would think this is an instant classice but it isnt't, it;s average and gets boring in the end. I am fond of Rockstar games I liked Red Dead Redemption a lot and also LA Noire, but this game has little development during the 14 chapters. Gameplay in chapters 1 and 14 dont differ. Story is really interesting and the first chapters are great to play but then it gets bored and some items which are nice in the first chapter gets really irritating. Like there is the overacted stupid boring voice of Max. Its just over the top American. One liners heard to often in games in the 80's and 90's. Then there are those words coming on the screen. They add nothing. First it looks cool but after 2 chapters they get boring and they add nothing to the story or experience. This game screams it wants to be cool and many people will fall for it, I also did the first chapters, but it fails deeply. Voice-acting is just really bad. Many reviewers are just blind by the trademark Rockstar I think. It must be the explanation for the high ratings. Its just 13 in a dozen game. Expand
  31. Jun 18, 2012
    Admit it. This game is a failure. The singleplayer mode features a story which has no connection with the first and second Max Payne game, and the plot is boring as hell. You will never want to play again. What about multiplayer? It's even worse than not having a multiplayer mode at all. It's just deathmatch, and only deathmatches. So basically, all you can do in a multiplayer game is runAdmit it. This game is a failure. The singleplayer mode features a story which has no connection with the first and second Max Payne game, and the plot is boring as hell. You will never want to play again. What about multiplayer? It's even worse than not having a multiplayer mode at all. It's just deathmatch, and only deathmatches. So basically, all you can do in a multiplayer game is run and shoot. I can't believe it's a Rockstar production! So disappointing! I gave 3 points for its fancy graphics. That's all. Expand
  32. Aug 5, 2012
    Rockstar manages to deliver a high quality shooter. The third installment to the series boasts stunning visuals and physics, a lengthy and story-driven singleplayer campaign, as well as a competent multiplayer component. Max Payne 3 is by no means perfect, for instance by featuring a wee bit many cutscenes, but it's still a very enjoyable game.
  33. Dec 19, 2012
    It's kind of hard to explain how much fun Max Payne 3 really is. As a huge fan of Rockstar Games' work, I went into Max Payne thinking it would be awesome, and it was. Max has lived a troubled life. His family has been murdered. And he has become addicted to pain meds and alcohol. After being discharged from the NYPD because of involvement in criminal activities, Max has traveled to SaoIt's kind of hard to explain how much fun Max Payne 3 really is. As a huge fan of Rockstar Games' work, I went into Max Payne thinking it would be awesome, and it was. Max has lived a troubled life. His family has been murdered. And he has become addicted to pain meds and alcohol. After being discharged from the NYPD because of involvement in criminal activities, Max has traveled to Sao Paulo, Brazil with an old friend of his to work as a bodyguard for the rich and famous real estate mogul Rodrigo Branco. Max hopes that this will be easy work, a good "retirement plan," but things soon don't go as planned and Max is put right in the middle of another war. Max's story, to say the least, is arguably the best story of 2012. I'm not going to spoil anything about the story, but it features some of the biggest twists that take the campaign down a deep, dark, and gruesome road. The visuals in this game could not be better. Although I did witness some audio troubles during the cutscene to gameplay transitions, something that Max Payne is known for. Cutscenes are a massive part of this game too. Max Payne 3 is practically an interactive movie, where the cutscenes are the loading screens and they blend with the gameplay. This can be frustrating at times though. If you're looking to return to a mission hoping to get an achievement or a trophy, you have to watch the cutscenes entirely. The campaign is the best part of the whole experience. Let's not forget about the killer gameplay and controls. The gameplay is constantly smooth and never choppy. In Max Payne, you have special abilities like Bullet Dodge and Bullet Time. With Bullet Dodge, Max jumps into the air in slow motion, allowing him to finish off any remaining enemies with more precision, while at the same time dodging bullets that are shot. Bullet Time is similar, Max slows down time and finishes off enemies. Multiplayer is also a major plus to Max Payne. You have your standard modes like Free-for-all and Team Deathmatch, but you also have the unique modes like Payne Killer, where someone plays as Max and his partner Passos and the rest of the lobby attempts to kill them, and Gang Wars, a story-like game mode that consists of five different stages where one team triumphs over the other. Both of these modes are fun and really enjoyable. In conclusion, Max Payne is an incredible experience that sure isn't to be missed. Some audio issues and an annoying cutscene problem are this games downfall. But not by much. Expand
  34. Nov 25, 2013
    The campaign is nice, the multiplayer is good but don´t have a thing that makes you with a need to play it. It´s another good work from rockstar but for me it can be better and for me the grade of this game is 8
  35. Oct 13, 2013
    Max Payne 3 is actually a good game. Gameplay is fantastic, unique and addictive. The story can make you see the pain of Max, for sure, but I didn't like it a lot, cause it's a simple story, that you will forget in about two days. I played the game too long and beat it three times (10 hours playthrough). Now, I'm going for hardcore mode, because gameplay is beautiful. Actually the gameplayMax Payne 3 is actually a good game. Gameplay is fantastic, unique and addictive. The story can make you see the pain of Max, for sure, but I didn't like it a lot, cause it's a simple story, that you will forget in about two days. I played the game too long and beat it three times (10 hours playthrough). Now, I'm going for hardcore mode, because gameplay is beautiful. Actually the gameplay saves this game and make it worth-buying, but story is frustrating for me, because it presents the legendary Max being a boozing bodyguard and involved in things, that don't concern a legend like him. After all, if you're a fan and liked the past two games, get thin one, cause you owe it to yourself. Otherwise, play the past two games and see after that if you want this one. Expand
  36. May 19, 2012
    This is probably the best action game i have played in a long, long time. The Graphics is ok, but the story is awesome, the characters are interesting and the engine the game uses if freaking amazing!

I love Max Payne 3. Maybe some dont and i really dont understand that, i would say that every Max Payne fan will love this game. I will give it 10 because there to many being totally

I will give it 10 because there to many being totally unreasonable. This game deserves the best score possible. There are too many games out there, which sucks, Max Payne 3 needs to be recognized and remembered as one of the really good action games.
  37. May 21, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I love this game, at first I was a little afraid of them going to a more sunny location and that max was bald and me thinking he was a drunk & depressed person, but BOY was I wrong when I got the game. Graphics is nice, story is extremely well done and the gameplay is fun. All the complains about that there is to much cut scenes and sh*t, makes me dissapointed, the Max Payne franchise is based on heavy usage of cut scenes and them dragging out for a bit, that's because of the BIG story they are trying to tell, and not some half baked COD story that makes no sense after the first few hour's.

My only complaint has to be the ending, I felt that it did not give enough closure and also that it was the shortest cut scene of all of the ones that was in the game. They could really have putted a few minutes with him saying why he went were he went and what he is going to do from now on and out.

But anyway, I also have to talk a little about multiplayer. I did not play much of it because of me not getting into matches, all it did was creating a new match with me alone and nobody coming in to it. However I did get into 3 matches and of what I did play I have to say that it is promising and the maps are well build't. Not to big and not to small.

I give this a 10/10! If you're a big suc*er for R* games like me then you have to get this. If not then get it because of the excellent story line that R* have put together, but I have to warn you if you don't like cut scenes much, then this game may not be something for you because of the long cut scenes that the game got (Some even going for 5-8 minutes).
  38. Jul 2, 2012
    Rock star Games did an amazing job on this game. The campaign is intense, fun, action packed. You get right into the story and don't want to stop playing. Only bad thing i noticed of the story is it hard to go back to the main menu, kinda long cut scenes. Multiplayer is crazy good, its balanced, lots of weapons and customization. Beautiful graphics and good realistic actions to theRock star Games did an amazing job on this game. The campaign is intense, fun, action packed. You get right into the story and don't want to stop playing. Only bad thing i noticed of the story is it hard to go back to the main menu, kinda long cut scenes. Multiplayer is crazy good, its balanced, lots of weapons and customization. Beautiful graphics and good realistic actions to the multiplayer. When a grenade goes off you get thrown back from the explosion. You get shot in the leg you fall over or stumble. Overall the game has fun game play, good graphics, realistic features no other game has. Expand
  39. Feb 5, 2013
    I love this game so much the gunplay is so much fun and the story is one of mt favorite ever i love max and passos and the graphics are good to the gameplay is so much fun even if it gets almost to hard at the end but this game is so good
  40. Jun 24, 2013
    Max Payne 3 is all of that and much more.It is a game more focused on story as all the previous max Payne's have been and packs satisfying gunplay to boot.It may not be THE BEST third person shooter out there but Max Payne 3's gameplay and story lives up to expectations with multiplayer being a riot. The game is great fun and the multiplayer is very unique to any other third person shooters.
  41. Jun 2, 2012
    This game is GREAT! No way around it, the action is fast and fluid. The cinematography is the best to date in video games along with the animations which are also top notch. The graphics will wow you more than once, many times I found myself getting distracted with backdrops and general attention to detail. Also sound will blow you away with fantastic voice acting and bullets whizzing byThis game is GREAT! No way around it, the action is fast and fluid. The cinematography is the best to date in video games along with the animations which are also top notch. The graphics will wow you more than once, many times I found myself getting distracted with backdrops and general attention to detail. Also sound will blow you away with fantastic voice acting and bullets whizzing by your head. Sometimes in the middle of playing you will have a movie play halting the action, it throws you off but when you realize its in the place of a loading screen now I wait for the load screens because there so damn good. Multi-player is a normal suite in Max Payne 3 but does well with switching it up with gang wars, crap ton of unlocks to improve your game also many bursts like slow-mo and health upgrades. Point is you need to by this game, you can see the polish and time the developers put into this game and it is a ride worth going on. Expand
  42. May 18, 2012
    Ah, Max. How we've missed you. It's been nine years since Max Payne 2, and he's back better than ever doing what he does best; drinking, shooting and diving.

So, first off, lets get one thing clear; this game is NOT for the faint of heart. Max Payne 3 is, a challenging, hardcore shooter for the veterans of the genre, but is equally satisfying. Like previous games, Max can still dive, dual-wield and use his signature BulletTime, which a warm welcome back to the series for Max Payne veterans.

Max has started out fresh, in Sao Paulo working for the Branco family as a bodyguard. When the boss's prize possession, his daughter, gets kidnapped, it's Max's job to save the girl, and his pill-popping, drunk self. If Rockstar does something best, it's storytelling, and they deliver once again; Max Payne 3 is gripping from beginning to end. The story is beautifully presented, with cutscenes that pull you into the story acting as loading screens, so the story stays with you for the entirety of the game without interruption from Max's engrossing story. Cutscenes are presented with visual effects dominating the screen, to put a slick spin on an average cutscene. Words appear on screen to emphasize important parts of the conversation, and blurry effects add to the grittiness of the game.

The combat has improved, and it's as fun as ever. It's about a million ways to kill enemies, not kill a million enemies. Thanks to Euphoria, enemies fall to the ground more realistically and move around more often to make firefights feel real. The A.I. is incredibly smart, flanking you and working together with fellow thugs to kill you. Killing the last enemy in the room triggers a 'Bullet Cam', showing the bullet in flight just about to cripple your last foe. It's an immensly satisfying way to end a firefight.
    The script is superb. Max is funnier and dirtier than before, and James McCaffrey's voice acting absolutley nails it. Every character is well written and complimeted with great voice acting.

Just like the singleplayer, the multiplayer is chaotic fun. Rockstar have somehow weaved the single player story into the muliplayer, and it's really well done. Max himself narrates the match on the outcomes of every round you may've won or lost, which really ups the ante in public games. As you'd expect, you level up, pick classes, customize your character, title, and the rest. There's your standard Team Deathmatch, Deathmatch but the real standout is Gang Wars. Five rounds of random objectives, and the odds are tipped in the favor of those who win the rounds.
    BulletTime has been implemented into Multiplayer, and works well. Players are affected if they're in your line of sight, and puts a fast paced spin on a classic Deathmatch. In total, everything is well balanced and nothing feels out of place; it's an all-out massacre.

Closing Comments:
    Max Payne 3 is a brilliant story-driven, fast-paced, stylish shooter that should never be missed. Rockstar's take on a classic franchise looks and feels awesome: Single player is amazingly crafted and Multiplayer is a chaotic massacre, leaving you with so much content you'll want to come back for more drinking, shooting and diving.
  43. May 15, 2012
    WOW! amazing story, fluid mechanics and unbelievable graphics! this game has set the bar so high for its competitors its almost not fair. The way in which R* has decided to tell this new tale is incredible, the story jumps through time seamlessly, and really shows off what Hollywood cinematic 's should look like in a true "AAA" next gen game. Bravo Rockstar...Bravo!
  44. May 15, 2012
    The game story is impressive the graphics beautiful and brings the expected level in 2012.
    I think the gameplay and controlls are very hard even on easy with free aim combo. (if you use hard lock the game become meaningless) Variety levels are fun although linear like a corridor with minimum freedom. The game atmosphere good but not like maxpayne 1 & 2.
    Authentic characters in very long
    Authentic characters in very long and boring cutscenes......
  45. May 18, 2012
    This may be the greatest game I have ever played. The story has so many great aspects to it, and on top of that, the gameplay mechanics are so crisp and refined, you will forget it is a video game. Its multiplayer plays much like the single player, and keeps the immersing experience. Over all this game is a must for all fans of the previous games, as well as newcomers, I did not evenThis may be the greatest game I have ever played. The story has so many great aspects to it, and on top of that, the gameplay mechanics are so crisp and refined, you will forget it is a video game. Its multiplayer plays much like the single player, and keeps the immersing experience. Over all this game is a must for all fans of the previous games, as well as newcomers, I did not even hesitate to give this game a 10/10. Expand
  46. Jul 7, 2012
    Certainly game of the year material. The outstanding graphical engine, incredible cut scenes, adult material, satisfying length and completely satisfying gunplay are only outdone by the no holes barred difficulty level which demands respect and commitment. I've waited ages for an xbox game that puts together a challenge so well, even on standard difficulty it is a challenge but hard putsCertainly game of the year material. The outstanding graphical engine, incredible cut scenes, adult material, satisfying length and completely satisfying gunplay are only outdone by the no holes barred difficulty level which demands respect and commitment. I've waited ages for an xbox game that puts together a challenge so well, even on standard difficulty it is a challenge but hard puts it into another league. The AI is sublime and requires full use of the cover system and strategic use of bullet time for full effect. This takes the Max Payne formula and turns the volume up to 11. The satisfaction of melding as one with Max Payne and becoming a bullet machine outclasses all other 3rd person shooters I have played on xbox.

But it's the little things.. like voice acting done superbly, the physics engine which models the impact of every bullet, the frame rate steady even as the tension mounts, the lack of loading screens, the increasing difficulty curve constantly keeping you on your toes, to the brilliant multiplayer that really tests your skills that make this one a real keeper. Only a few quibbles, like the removal of guns at certain checkpoints, ocassionally lengthy save points, difficulty viewing enemies in some camera spots and a few scripted action sequences that dump you infront of an almost certain death, detract from the positive experience. These are all forgivable sins in a game this well put together.

If you do not possess fearless, well honed gaming skills, often turn the difficulty down to easy, and expect regenerative health cheating and stupid AI...then really steer clear as Max Payne 3 is going to hand it to you time and time again. For those serious old school gamers ready for a challenge and the tenacity to overcome the odds of a tough but mostly fair combat system Max Payne 3 delivers in the way only Rockstar know how. Why aren't more xbox games like this? Because most gamers aren't man enough.
  47. Jun 17, 2013
    So, this game was pretty damn different from the originals. In terms of effects and design the game is miles away from the comic book style of the first game. But I don't mind that. I'm glad they took a new direction with this. The visual effects are over used, but nice non-the-less.

The story is engaging and enjoyable. Combat is pretty decent and the guns are fun to use. Side quests like collecting golden parts are fun and do add to the game. I enjoyed the flashbacks and throwbacks to the originals but enjoyed the new stuff coming to the table.

Overall, Max Payne 3 is an enjoyable shooter. The single player is worth checking out, the multiplayer is fun if you enjoy third person shooting in an online environment, but offers no new experiences.
  48. May 19, 2012
    This game is amazing, you should buy it. Best TPS of all time IMO. If you are a fan of the Max Payne games then you shoud definetely pick this up. Mutliplayer is stellar too.
  49. May 15, 2012
    As you always expect with a Rockstar title, this game is excellent. They've taken the core mechanics of the Max Payne series and put their own spin on it. Bullet time was tested in Red Dead Redemption and perfected for this title.

Without going into any details or spoilers on the story, this reminds me a lot of the film 'Man on Fire' - great intense action throughout. I've yet to experience the multiplayer, but even as an offline single player title you'll get plenty of bang for your buck. Complete the game to unlock Old School and Hardcore mode and there's also an arcade mode to keep you busy.

Overall a brilliant, polished experience that Rockstar continues to deliver game after game. A must buy!
  50. May 17, 2012
    you're not goona beleive that this game can make you feel like an accion hero no matter who you are you have to play this incredible game its a whorty sucesor for the other to games of the dearest max the most dearest of all my friend jeje
  51. Jul 29, 2012
    So I rarely am disappointed with RockStar and this time was no different. This was a really amazing add-on to the Max Payne series. The game graphics were improved to a modern day shooter and kept the awesome, classic feel of the original games. With blood, violence, and drugs you expect, the game balances well with story, drama, and a connection with Max that no one wishes to have. MakingSo I rarely am disappointed with RockStar and this time was no different. This was a really amazing add-on to the Max Payne series. The game graphics were improved to a modern day shooter and kept the awesome, classic feel of the original games. With blood, violence, and drugs you expect, the game balances well with story, drama, and a connection with Max that no one wishes to have. Making you want to keep going and going until the end (which was solid). I did not play the multiplayer because, lets face it, who plays Max Payne for multiplayer? Replay value is at least twice to just make sure you find all the little detail and kill people in every way possible. A must for fans of the series. Expand
  52. Sep 2, 2012
    I'll start by saying that I have replayed this game 3 times already. Not because of the story (which is also pretty awesome) but because the gameplay is that much fun. The controls are tight and after about 20 minutes you will be flying through the air bringing death in spades. The multi player is a pleasant surprise. Believe it or not there is bullet time and it actually works. . . unlessI'll start by saying that I have replayed this game 3 times already. Not because of the story (which is also pretty awesome) but because the gameplay is that much fun. The controls are tight and after about 20 minutes you will be flying through the air bringing death in spades. The multi player is a pleasant surprise. Believe it or not there is bullet time and it actually works. . . unless you are on the receiving end. I can't recommend this game enough to everyone who is a fan or new to the series. Expand
  53. May 22, 2014
    Now Max Payne 3, while a little bit different to the others in the series, still retains the same premise and gameplay of the first two, albeit in my opinion at a slower pace. This Iteration is much more realistic in how it works, with 2-4 shots being able to take you down and that you also can't carry an armoury's worth of weapons with you. Instead your allowed to carry up to threeNow Max Payne 3, while a little bit different to the others in the series, still retains the same premise and gameplay of the first two, albeit in my opinion at a slower pace. This Iteration is much more realistic in how it works, with 2-4 shots being able to take you down and that you also can't carry an armoury's worth of weapons with you. Instead your allowed to carry up to three weapons simultaneously, two one handed e.g. pistols, and one, two-handed weapon, such as a shotgun. even then, if you decide to star dual wielding like some Neo wannabe, you'll have to drop your two-handed weapon on the spot. Now alot of people will say this is a stupid idea to put into a game, especially a Max Payne game, but it does make the game more challenging when you don't have every gun under the sun in your back pocket. Now bullet time, Pain-killers and shoot-dodging returns, and they pretty much work the same as in the last games. You'll be relying on them alot later on in the game as the difficulty becomes quite high even when playing on the normal difficulty setting, as you'll be faced with 20+ enemies at once, which is a lot to deal with. A new addition to the franchise is the fact you can now lay on the ground a spin the full 360 degrees to take some goons while lying down, after you've performed a shoot-dodge. You will also not immediately die if you happen to be carrying some painkillers when you run out of health. Instead you'll go straight into a slo- mo, bullet-time last stand type of deal, in which you have a couple of seconds to take out the guy that took you down. Doing so will save you, and you'll be able to get back up and carry on the fight.

Now the game looks pretty damn good aswell, the graphics are really high quality, not crysis super computer quality, but it's a very good looking game, especially on console. there are some things that your eyes wont agree with though. What I'm mainly talking about is the overused, in-your-face filters that try to make the game look like an old VHS tape. they do get on your nerves a little bit, as they only really kick-in every now and again. Now what will annoy most people is the over-abundance of cut-scenes that appear every time you finish off a gunfight. Some of them are also long-ass MGS worthy ones that you cant skip until the game has loaded, as the cut-scenes act as loading screens when playing the story. Also, when taking out the last enemy in a gunfight, you'll be treated to a slo-mo death cam of said goon, where you can keep pumping bullets into him, until he's turned into human swiss cheese, these are pretty brutal, and a greatly improved by the Euphoria physics engine that Rockstar used which creates a different reaction every time.

The story mode is the heart of the game, with the story being quite a good one. It's well written, and has a few twists and turns, although it's maybe not as good as Red Dead Redemptions story (Great game by the way, go play it!) I thought it was great. There are also a couple of other modes to the game, such as the arcade mode and New York Minute, time trial mode, and for the first time multi-player is included. The first two modes I mentioned are basically there to test your skill and reflexes, and also give you the chance to unlock multi-player characters and cheats for single-player.

Now Multiplayer in Max Payne 3 is a mixed bag. sometimes it can be really enjoyable, sometimes it can be really infuriating. Now you might think the infuriating games are just that your not playing very well, but in my opinion the game is un-balanced. When the game first came out, it was pretty balanced, there was nothing outstandingly overpowered, but due to DLC being released the game has changed dramatically, usually you see everyone running around in the very protective bomb suits, dual-wielding pistols. You'll soon find out this is probably the best combination in the game to go with, and it makes nearly every other weapon a waste of time. Now there are only a couple of modes that come with the game, Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, and gang wars. Gang wars is the stand out mode, where each match consists of five rounds that follow a storyline. You could be planting or defusing bombs one round, and then trying to assassinate of defend a VIP the next. It helps keep the gameplay varied. They have added a few other modes through DLC, including a co-op, horde mode style game, and another where your chased down by a goblin with a wooden leg and a taser (seriously, I'm not joking). There Is the, now-standard mult-player games weapon load-out and customisation menu, that you see in nearly every game now-a-days, but There's a weight system to keep it a bit fresh, and make you think about what you take into battle. The heavier you are, the slower your stamina and health regenerate. There's also Bursts, that act the same as kill streak rewards and character customisation aswell.

Overall it's a good game, but It's not everyone's cup of tea.
  54. Jul 20, 2012
    Rockstar managed to take a "corridor shooting game" and make it as full of life than its usual sandbox games! Max Payne 3 is the proof that video game is art. The directing is amazing. I've already done several times the chapter taking place in the favellas wich is one of my most favourite game scenes, near the Ravenholm one from Half-Life 2 :)
  55. Jun 4, 2012
    Is the shooting fun? Yes. Are the graphics nice? Yes! Do I wish I could play for more than 30 seconds without being interrupted by cutscenes? YES! When I am playing, it is enjoyable, I think, but the action comes in such short bursts between cutscenes I can't get involved in the game. It's a perpetual game of "just the tip," never letting me go too long on my own. The first two Max PayneIs the shooting fun? Yes. Are the graphics nice? Yes! Do I wish I could play for more than 30 seconds without being interrupted by cutscenes? YES! When I am playing, it is enjoyable, I think, but the action comes in such short bursts between cutscenes I can't get involved in the game. It's a perpetual game of "just the tip," never letting me go too long on my own. The first two Max Payne games perfectly melded gameplay and storytelling, whereas this does so incredibly clunkily. I am taken totally out of the game, and can't enjoy what I think is actually pretty good gameplay. Not to mention the visual "style" of the cutscenes is so blatantly trying to be "cool" it makes me literally nauseous. The saving grace is that the multiplayer is quite robust and enjoyable (and not interrupted by cutscenes!), so I think that's where I'll be spending my $60 worth of time. Expand
  56. May 15, 2012
    All that i can say about this game is that it is exactly what I've come to expect from Rockstar. Play through single player once and a little multiplayer - very polished - addictive gameplay and awesome multiplayer. Must buy - it's just too bad for the games sake it was released on console the same day as Diablo 3.
  57. May 21, 2012
    Max Payne 3 is one of the best games ever created. The single player story is engaging and sucks you into Max's world. The use of cut scenes is amazing and does nothing but capture a dark and twisted world that keeps you locked into the story. Rockstar has done an AMAZING job with the character and Max Payne 3 could be their best effort to date.
  58. Oct 19, 2012
    During the opening sequences of Max Payne 3 I have to admit I wasn't exactly blown away from the gameplay, but as I progressed through the campaign the sheer sense of atmosphere - coupled with the fantastic eery yet emotional soundtrack I began to realize this was a very deep, emotional and immersive experience. The story itself drives you through the game rather than the gameplay itself,During the opening sequences of Max Payne 3 I have to admit I wasn't exactly blown away from the gameplay, but as I progressed through the campaign the sheer sense of atmosphere - coupled with the fantastic eery yet emotional soundtrack I began to realize this was a very deep, emotional and immersive experience. The story itself drives you through the game rather than the gameplay itself, but that's not to say the gameplay is poor, no. It can, if you want it to be, be a repetitive trigger happy/get as many headshots as possible kinda game, but I found once you immersed the creative side of 'blowing people away' it made the game a lot of fun. I had no real expectations with Max Payne 3, and after the first few hours of play I wasn't exactly convinced so to speak, but once I submerged myself into the experience I found myself playing one of the best games of 2012. Expand
  59. May 19, 2012
    This is a great game! and would be seen as a one of the best rockstar games so far. The dark noire style of telling a well wrote story based on a has been cop with a bad case of depression which is hidden by his addiction to pain killers and contently getting into problems that are not his to resolve. All in all just a Max Payne 3 is a masterpiece.
  60. May 19, 2012
    Rockstar mimics successful formula of the original series but eventually fails to capture the charm of the original. Gameplay suffers from shoddy controls and boring levels that offer few tactical choices during shoot-outs. Checkpoints repeatedly put you against a swarm of enemies with barely one cover around . The result is a static encounter or frequent death, the latter resulting inRockstar mimics successful formula of the original series but eventually fails to capture the charm of the original. Gameplay suffers from shoddy controls and boring levels that offer few tactical choices during shoot-outs. Checkpoints repeatedly put you against a swarm of enemies with barely one cover around . The result is a static encounter or frequent death, the latter resulting in tedious backtracking. If there are cutscenes tied to the checkpoint, you will see them again and again without chance to skip. Gone is the noir atmosphere and well-penned Marlowesque monologues. New Max is a boring character chasing McGuffins that are difficult to care about. Cutscenes try to evoke the comics-inspired look of the original. The ambitious effort falls short due to poor editing that creates comics panes with random placement at random angles, full of busy effects and senseless dialogue excerpts. An interesting idea ends up feeling pretentious and artificial. Despite the sub-par lighting of its in-house Rage engine Rockstar did a good job in making the game visually appealing. The art-direction is tight, cutscenes impress with high-quality mo-cap and Euphoria animation engine makes enemy reaction to your bullets nothing short of spectacular. Sadly, the work of programmers, artists and animators has been sabotaged by design and narrative teams. The result is a mediocre shooter that did not manage to replicate the original recipe. If you are not familiar with game's predecessors, give it a chance after price drop. Fans of Max Payne and Rockstar's previous work may find themselves thinking that despite the stellar reviews of his clothes this emperor is walking around bare naked. Collapse Expand
  61. May 24, 2012
    Beautiful visuals, intense gameplay, good use of Max's old fashioned Bullet-Time, and an awesome multiplayer. Yes the story is linear, DUH. It's not an open world game or RPG, not all games are giving into the genre, and Max Payne is sticking to it's drama cutscene filled, intense firefights and twists in the plot to make it the great game it is. The multiplayer is ambitious and somethingBeautiful visuals, intense gameplay, good use of Max's old fashioned Bullet-Time, and an awesome multiplayer. Yes the story is linear, DUH. It's not an open world game or RPG, not all games are giving into the genre, and Max Payne is sticking to it's drama cutscene filled, intense firefights and twists in the plot to make it the great game it is. The multiplayer is ambitious and something new out of not just the 3rd person shooters but shooter multiplayers altogether. Using bullet time and other perks like Paranoia are awesome ways to lose track of time while dual wielding Uzis and wiping out an opposing gang. Expand
  62. May 26, 2012
    Disappointing on 360 poor controls poor story line and cut scenes destroy game-play throw away multi player Rockstar need to rebuild there programming and gameplay huge let down not worth a rent really 3rd person COD clone gone wrong.
  63. Jun 14, 2012
    Max payne 3 it's a really great game, which keeps the same experience of the two previous games to the new generation without losing anything in the process, and only this is an achievement. It is multi-dimensional in many ways, including not only the main character, but other people, the environment and atmosphere. Rockstar understood that the noir clime doesn't resume in snow and blackMax payne 3 it's a really great game, which keeps the same experience of the two previous games to the new generation without losing anything in the process, and only this is an achievement. It is multi-dimensional in many ways, including not only the main character, but other people, the environment and atmosphere. Rockstar understood that the noir clime doesn't resume in snow and black and white colors, and brought this in a beautiful and colorful Brazil's adaptation, which may be exceeded sometimes, but is still great. The only point the game misses is if the story in the beginning develpos in a really good way, the final act seems to finish faster and doesn't bring that plot twist that we would hope for. Expand
  64. Apr 12, 2013
    A really good game. The gameplay is top notch, the story is good and the multiplayer is in my opinion just beautiful. I bought the rockstar pass for the multiplayer and I don't regret it at all. Graphix are great and well detailed. One of the best shooters I've ever played. If you haven't played it yet, the go get it now.
  65. Apr 30, 2013
    I loved it and so far i have sunk about 50 hours into both my 360 and PC copies of the game.
    The game-play is allot better then most third person shooters and the psychs are so much better then any other 3rd person shooter the way your enemy body falls to the ground is just brutal and the fact Max will not shoot unless his body is facing the recticle on the screen so you cant just shoot at something be cause your aiming at it you have to position Max with his arms out to hit that target first or else you will miss.

The story is so intense and fully carries on from previous games and the fact that Max looks even more like a broken man then ever is saying something. its just so dark and brooding that it pulls you in and really displays the difference between the haves and the have nots.

I loved the music the game-play the story and the multiplayer was a blast as well too bad that the community is fairly small but that's pretty normal for any game that isn't cod or battlefield nowadays.
  66. Jun 17, 2014
    Entertaining story about a great, non-gregarious, **** brooding, pill-popping, functioning alcoholic, quasi-man's man dude killing people (morally). You don't have to spend hours learning how the play, you can just step right into the action and enjoy the thrill.
  67. Feb 25, 2017
    Storytelling so i love, with non-chronological chapters. Addictive, wanted to finish the game as soon as possible. The only drawback of this game is a schematic, too much monotony and irrational number of people to kill. That why when i finish the game i felt relief. Shame because it was the only game that i finished a couple of years. Almost a masterpiece but a little lacking to achieveStorytelling so i love, with non-chronological chapters. Addictive, wanted to finish the game as soon as possible. The only drawback of this game is a schematic, too much monotony and irrational number of people to kill. That why when i finish the game i felt relief. Shame because it was the only game that i finished a couple of years. Almost a masterpiece but a little lacking to achieve this title. Expand
  68. Jun 18, 2014
    This game is awful, pure and simple. I'd rate it higher if it was a movie. Because basically that's what you're getting. Enjoy having a five minute cut scene to start your level that you can't skip? This game is for you. Enjoy having a cut scene mid level that you can't skip? You're really going to love this game.
  69. May 17, 2012
    My thoughts in a nutshell: Clunky controls, terrible presentation, on-rail shooting segments that don't belong in a Max Payne game, bland story, bland characters, no use of subtitles for foreign language speaking characters, multiplayer that doesn't need to exist, and a failure to capture the Noir feel of the past games. This game should have been made by Remedy, not Rockstar.
  70. Jul 30, 2012
    I've followed Max Payne since his release in the early days of PS2. Now 10 years later Max Payne 3 delivers a punch full of action,atmosphere,addictive gameplay ,amazing Multiplayer, and a deep story that echoes back to the past of former Max Payne games. The noir is still there albeit being in sunny Sao Paulo it still has that Max Payne feel. Bullet Time mechanics are still there as wellI've followed Max Payne since his release in the early days of PS2. Now 10 years later Max Payne 3 delivers a punch full of action,atmosphere,addictive gameplay ,amazing Multiplayer, and a deep story that echoes back to the past of former Max Payne games. The noir is still there albeit being in sunny Sao Paulo it still has that Max Payne feel. Bullet Time mechanics are still there as well but reinvented for today to make for smoother gunplay. The soundtrack to the game sets the mood from the very beginning to the bitter end. Replayability is there in all new game modes such as NY Minute and NY Minute Hardcore. Each time you beat the game on a certain difficulty you unlock other things in game and also there is an addictive ,insanely deep Multiplayer which is full of surprises. This game to me is the best game of the year so far and I can't get enough. If your a fan of original max Payne games then you'll definitely want to pick up Max Payne 3. Expand
  71. Jun 15, 2012
    I have seen some funny reviews on here, totally irrelevant to the game. Rockstar going down hill ? Saint's Row being better then GTA ? Ugh, who are these people ?

Good game, Greatly developed story (note not great story), fun and action-packed. It's worth definitely it's current score around a 7.5. Entertaining and worth being played, I can understand a mixed review but a negative one ? Great graphics, good story, a game that makes sense with huge budget made by renown game makers, how can that be a negative ? I agree with a post I read about Max being just a bit to whiny and that his character could have evolved but I guess the person developing him when straight from the movie instead of the games, I personally thought the time frame for slow motion was too long in the first two games.
  72. May 16, 2012
    I don't know the game, so I cannot comment on them. However I'm here to make a note that every user review scored under 5 were trolling. Just check their profile. Some dude rated skyrim a 0 and diabolo 3 a 10. Some dude rated Max Payne 3 xbox a 0 and Max Payne 3 ps3 version a 10, and many others. C'mon why do people post those trolling reviews on this site?
  73. May 22, 2012
    The first two games nailed: the drama, noir aspect, the traumatized protagonist, bullet time mechanic and just the overall feel of the game was spot-on. Going into Max Payne 3 I knew the setting had changed and that Max was starting out a new life in Sao Paulo. The first few moments shows us that he still had his painkiller and drinking addictions and still suffered for the death of hisThe first two games nailed: the drama, noir aspect, the traumatized protagonist, bullet time mechanic and just the overall feel of the game was spot-on. Going into Max Payne 3 I knew the setting had changed and that Max was starting out a new life in Sao Paulo. The first few moments shows us that he still had his painkiller and drinking addictions and still suffered for the death of his wife and child, so it wasn't all sunshines and flowers. Fast forwarding he is working as a bodyguard for a rich family. The plot is pretty simple in scope but thanks to the impressive writing and voice acting it all takes a new depth not found in other stories. Max delivers his story in monologue that are heard during the game. He shows wisdom and delivers his lines with a lot of impact. Gameplay is another solid point, shooting feels accurate and powerful. The bullet time mechanic is well implemented and is put to great use, though sometimes using the shootdodge may leave you vulnerable on the ground for a few seconds. The gameplay feel really like the Max Paynes of the past. Thought the game presents a challenge and you'll die a lot if you don't use the new cover system. Walls crumble and glass breaks, the destructible enviroments help you feel the chaos that involves a real shootout and after you have finished one you can take a moment to grasp your work. Sound is a very important factor and Rockstar gets it right gunfires have a crunch to them and the slow motion ''wooshes'' sound awesome, plus the soundtrack by HEALTH is brilliant and fits very well. Rockstar is known for making incredible graphics, and Max Payne doesn't disappoint, the game is filtered through various effect that may be a little distracting for some players but the overall detail edge to each enviroment is impressive. Everything looks pretty and realistic. Overall Max Payne 3 is a solid game, it goes back to the old days of non-regenerating health, and features a stellar story with lots of interesting characters and plot twists, the graphics lend it a real life feel and the sound desing and soundtrack help you inmerse in this world. Oh and the multiplayer is great fun. I definately recommend the game to fans and non fans of Max. Expand
  74. May 15, 2012
    Max payne has always been my favourite game but i was a little worried about the third part bcoz it wasnt remedy making the game but no disrespect to Rockstar they are awesome specially i thnk so after playing max payne 3 it is an awesome game gr8 story driven action heart pumping gameplay and brilliant multiplayer i must say i am thrilled after playing it and have to say rockstar have notMax payne has always been my favourite game but i was a little worried about the third part bcoz it wasnt remedy making the game but no disrespect to Rockstar they are awesome specially i thnk so after playing max payne 3 it is an awesome game gr8 story driven action heart pumping gameplay and brilliant multiplayer i must say i am thrilled after playing it and have to say rockstar have not let us down again and hasnt let the game die instead has made it famous Expand
  75. May 16, 2012
    Max Payne 3 is real game, a game for everyone who want to have fun, spend a lot of time in front of the tv, and the best of all, play with your friends on multiplayer. The history is very good, and expecially in a dangerous city like São Paulo. The multiplayer is very fun and the best way to play is with your friends. Bullet time is very good and Rockstar did it again, thMax Payne 3 is real game, a game for everyone who want to have fun, spend a lot of time in front of the tv, and the best of all, play with your friends on multiplayer. The history is very good, and expecially in a dangerous city like São Paulo. The multiplayer is very fun and the best way to play is with your friends. Bullet time is very good and Rockstar did it again, th best game of the year so far in my opinion. Expand
  76. May 17, 2012
    I haven't played this game but I bet it's awesome. I mean it's Maximum Payne, pop painkillers while flying through the air in slow motion, **** YEAH! So you play as this guy named Max, and his last name is Payne, and right there you should know what kind of game you're getting yourself in for. Max's wife died, probably because he **** with the wrong guys, and that's made him numb to theI haven't played this game but I bet it's awesome. I mean it's Maximum Payne, pop painkillers while flying through the air in slow motion, **** YEAH! So you play as this guy named Max, and his last name is Payne, and right there you should know what kind of game you're getting yourself in for. Max's wife died, probably because he **** with the wrong guys, and that's made him numb to the world. He tries to fight off all these bad times in three ways:

1. Drink a lot of dark alcohol.
    2. Pop painkillers. Lots of painkillers.
    3. Shoot dudes in the face.

Literally that's the whole game (from what I've seen, I haven't played it, I don't play any games I just read the most favorable reviews so I can a REAL idea of what's awesome about a game.) When you clear a room full of bad guys you are actually so messed up from all the liquor, drugs, and bloodlust that you can in slow-motion explode a guy's head until it looks like a crushed tangerine. I watched a bunch of gameplay videos of this a month ago and I swear to christ it gave me a horribly debilitating 20-day erection. I had to seek medical help, but Rockstar was so cool that they've agreed to give me a free copy of Max Payne 3 to compensate for the distress they put me through. But like I said, I won't play it. I only read reviews, the truest way to enjoy games. 10/10
  77. May 17, 2012
    7 Planned DLC's already for this game. When did it become okay to hold back content in hopes that you could get more from the consumer later? Sure it isn't exactly new to the industry, Diablo 2 wasn't even finished in the original packaging, you had to get the expansion to finish it out. But now they hold your game hostage in the hopes you will continue to play the game well after you are7 Planned DLC's already for this game. When did it become okay to hold back content in hopes that you could get more from the consumer later? Sure it isn't exactly new to the industry, Diablo 2 wasn't even finished in the original packaging, you had to get the expansion to finish it out. But now they hold your game hostage in the hopes you will continue to play the game well after you are done with it because of all the extra story-bits they left behind.

Urg, this industry is sad.
  78. Jun 3, 2012
    Im an older gamer thats been playing for over 20 years and Im telling you if you like shooters with a cool story this game is worth your time and money. But pay attention to the reviews first because this still might not be for you. The game has many cut scenes, even in arcade mode, and will constantly interupt your playing,so if you cant handle it please dont buy it and give it a badIm an older gamer thats been playing for over 20 years and Im telling you if you like shooters with a cool story this game is worth your time and money. But pay attention to the reviews first because this still might not be for you. The game has many cut scenes, even in arcade mode, and will constantly interupt your playing,so if you cant handle it please dont buy it and give it a bad review. The story reminds me of Man On Fire and I couldnt quit till I got to the end. Gameplay takes time to get used to as its harder to aim than other shooters, but if you stick with it youll get better. Graphics are some of the best ive seen. The reason I love it is because it feels fresh and different. Isnt that what were always wanting from developers anyway? Well here it is. Expand
  79. May 22, 2012
    i have no words for this game.Excelent story telling, gorgeous graphics and amazing gameplay simply the best product of the decade.thank you rockstar for giving me this game
  80. May 22, 2012
    How anyone could have a negative comment about this game beats the hell outta. NO... this is not the same Max Payne games of old. Why would it be!? The last Max Payne to come out was 10yrs ago! Some of the cut scenes are long however they keep you engaged.. This game is GOTY (Game Of The Year) material hands down. The single player campaign will suck u in and the multiplayer is fastHow anyone could have a negative comment about this game beats the hell outta. NO... this is not the same Max Payne games of old. Why would it be!? The last Max Payne to come out was 10yrs ago! Some of the cut scenes are long however they keep you engaged.. This game is GOTY (Game Of The Year) material hands down. The single player campaign will suck u in and the multiplayer is fast action.. fun fast action. The different multiplayer game modes keep the action lively. This is a MUST OWN game. Very much worth paying full price for. If you have a open mind, love playing games that feel like yourre watching yourself play a role in a movie, love a fun fast action shooting multiplayer, and love playing games that give you challenge, then you need to check this out. You will not be disappointed. Expand
  81. May 25, 2012
    Great game. Pure fun. The acting is good, the graphics are good, and the sound is great. Haven't played much multiplayer because i don't like interacting with the little foul mouth 10 year old that populate the land of Xbox live but the little bit I did play was pretty fun. The only downside is the long unskippable cutscenes. There great the fist time around but on your second or thirdGreat game. Pure fun. The acting is good, the graphics are good, and the sound is great. Haven't played much multiplayer because i don't like interacting with the little foul mouth 10 year old that populate the land of Xbox live but the little bit I did play was pretty fun. The only downside is the long unskippable cutscenes. There great the fist time around but on your second or third play through it gets very annoying. Still a way better game then I expected. Expand
  82. May 28, 2012
    What a disappointment, I was really looking forward to this game but it wasn't as good as I expected. Don't get me wrong is not a bad game, but its just as good as "reviewers" make it to be. First of all its incredibly frustrating, the check points doesn't make sense, they are either to far apart or even too close to each other. Worst of all at one point I finished a chapter and began theWhat a disappointment, I was really looking forward to this game but it wasn't as good as I expected. Don't get me wrong is not a bad game, but its just as good as "reviewers" make it to be. First of all its incredibly frustrating, the check points doesn't make sense, they are either to far apart or even too close to each other. Worst of all at one point I finished a chapter and began the other one, so I turn off the game and when I turn it on again I didn't started in the chapter that I started, It started in the last checkpoint of the last chapter, because as turns out the unskipable and long cut scenes don't count as a checkpoint so you have to wait till the scene is over and you start playing till you the new chapter officially began, even tough that at the beginning of the cut scene its says that you started a new Chapter. Secondly somethings just doesn't make sense in the game, like for a example at 1 time Max put a "home made" silencer in a gun, but that was just pointless because no matter what you do you are gonna face 2 guys and even if you use bullet time and kill them both with the silencer the other guys will magically hear it and go after you. Other thing that don"t make sense it's that when you are with your partner he tells you that he is gonna "cover you" but he only do for a couple of shots then he does nothing, even tough that he is gonna act like he still is covering you. Last but not least is the AI, Im all for smart AI but the AI is so smart to the point of being ridiculous, they never miss and they use cover way better than you, plus sometimes there are almost a dozen of them at the same time and when you are trying to kill the ones in front of you some of them will sneak beside you and shot you. I cant believe that this game got so many positive reviews and just a few "mixed ones" but on my opinion this game its only just average and a rental only. Expand
  83. May 29, 2012
    Max Payne returns in the 3rd instalment in the series. The history of the character, and the effects of alcohol and addiction to painkillers, are detailed through a series of cinematic cutscenes. Rockstar has succesfully re-introduced ever pessimistic Payne, and also added this nior-esc quality to the gameplay. Possibly the most impressive aspect is the combat. Max combines slow motionMax Payne returns in the 3rd instalment in the series. The history of the character, and the effects of alcohol and addiction to painkillers, are detailed through a series of cinematic cutscenes. Rockstar has succesfully re-introduced ever pessimistic Payne, and also added this nior-esc quality to the gameplay. Possibly the most impressive aspect is the combat. Max combines slow motion "bullet time", dramatic slow motion leaps and a 360 degrees prone system, that allows for continual enjoyment. Bullet cams are simply an addition, though gratuitous, to provide a more graphic perspective on kill shots. The eclectic selection of weapons, and the inclusion of collectable gold guns adds a layer of achievement to the games many missions. The cutscene to gameplay transition is superb, each location is perfectly rendered, the voice acting is infallible and the story is neither cliched nor mundane. The story is were this game really shines, with strong character development and perfect motion capture. This game performs on every level. Expand
  84. Jun 15, 2012
    Underwhelming. Great score, voice acting, nice graphics and fantastic animations but on the other hand... annoying ai, bad level design, mediocre multiplayer, unremarkable story and gameplay sometimes becomes just frustrating and not very fun.
  85. Jun 2, 2012
    I thought the game looked pretty and played pretty great in the single player campaign, but I wasn't all that impressed by the multiplayer. It may just be a personal preference for me though as I am not really a fan of third person multiplayer (I didn't really take away points for this because, as I said, it's more of a personal preference and not something bad about the game).

I

I thoroughly enjoyed the single player player campaign. The cutscene load screens progressing the story I found to be nice at first, but after a few chapters I didn't really seems to care all that much anymore. The story wasn't really anything new. The issue came when you can't skip them. I know they are load screens, but if you are in your second or third play through, or even just skipping around missions looking to get achievements I found being forced to watch them for a period of time to be very annoying. The bullet time was rather fun and although the game can be very graphic at times, the game is rated M for a reason. I thought it added to the atmosphere of the game rather than hurting it.
  86. Jun 18, 2012
    Sorry Max (or Rockstar) this game is just not fun to play! The controls are very awkward and the flow or balance of the game is not great. Yes, the story, graphics and certainly the voices are great, but playing the same sequence over and over because you missed the targets because you did not see tiny, tiny trigger pixel, or run out of bullet time is just boring. To give context I am aSorry Max (or Rockstar) this game is just not fun to play! The controls are very awkward and the flow or balance of the game is not great. Yes, the story, graphics and certainly the voices are great, but playing the same sequence over and over because you missed the targets because you did not see tiny, tiny trigger pixel, or run out of bullet time is just boring. To give context I am a great fan of the series and the ground breaking impact it has had. This installment is just not nearly as good. Had I not pre-ordered and played as trial version first I would not have bought the game. Sorry. Expand
  87. Sep 17, 2013
    Max Payne 3 is truly underrated. Its got a fantastic story great mechanics and gameplay and a solid multiplayer offering. One of the very best shooters of all time.
  88. Jun 9, 2012
    It's rare that games these days have an effect on the player after the game is over. Much like a high-octane action movie make you want to dive out of the movie theatre after the explosion. It could be the massive amounts of Rockstar detail, it could be the gritty, moving soundtrack, or it could be the evolution of a character to make you actually care about them and feel their Payne.It's rare that games these days have an effect on the player after the game is over. Much like a high-octane action movie make you want to dive out of the movie theatre after the explosion. It could be the massive amounts of Rockstar detail, it could be the gritty, moving soundtrack, or it could be the evolution of a character to make you actually care about them and feel their Payne. There's always a breathtaking moment around the corner or something to make you yell "Oh!" when cars come crashing through buildings or you dive through the air in slow motion. The gunplay is very much focused on being cinematic, and levels in the game become stages from a blockbuster movie. Glass, sparks from a bullet impact, shards of wood from the enemies cover, shell casings and brick dust will fly. It took around 10-12 hours for me to finish the story mode on Normal, which needless to say makes it a longer game than most in today's market. There's also a score attack style mode where you can play through the story levels again competing for the best score, and an online multiplayer mode. I was playing this on the PC and there were a lot of cheaters, but I think there's a patch out soon. I've clocked a few hours in the Multiplayer mode and I'm still not sure what to think. Sometimes it goes well and you have an enjoyable experience, or otherwise you're faced against a team of snipers that your bullets wont be able to reach.

It's definitely brought Max back to life using intense new technology, if you're worried about the game not being as good as Max Payne 1 & 2, or not following similar themes, you can rest assured that the game continues its noir feel and gritty "road-to-nowhere" feel.
  89. May 22, 2012
    Best shooter of the year?
    Another Excellent game from Rockstar, only that this time it feels more like a movie. GAMEPLAY:
    Best shooter of the year?
    This is what every TPS should take as an example. The twist here, that sets this game apart from other, is the bullettime. whenever a fight gets too tight you can trigger it, the time slows down and you shoot as many heads as you can. Kill-cams help the movish experience of the game. The level design is also great, and make most fights feel different from one another, letting the game not become too repetitive. I am almost done with the game, and I am still happy whenever my shoot-dodge(trigger bullettime while jumping, really cool, might be ineffective) is successful. The difficulty was a little hard on me, however, I did played it on hard so I guess it's my fault. What pisses me off about it is some insane difficulty spikes that took me about 20 times to get through. But I liked what they did with it, which is giving me more ammo and painkillers(Can also be called an extra life) after you die a couple of times. Near perfect.

STORY:
    The story itself is... Pretty generic action movie story. A big conspiracy, with betrayals, corruption, and dead people.
    However,where the story really shines is in the writing, written from future Max's point of view, being both bitter-funny and badass. I enjoyed what he said most of the times, although it does get somewhat cheesy after a while. Some characters are pretty annoying, which kinda make you hope they will die.

Generic, yet fun.

MULTIPLAYER:
    Maybe I didn't played with it enough, but take a word from a single-player guy: the MP is great.a great variety of mods and awesome maps that make sure that no one camps too long -a problem that many TPS suffers from- while rewarding flanking. Here the bullettime mechanic changed, and instead of just slowing time down it can reward you with a couple of different bonuses, like bonus health and bigger guns. Character progression and customization is as well as most games. Great multiplayer, provides a lot of gameplay time. GRAPHICS:
    It may not be BattleField 3, but the graphics are excellent. Colorful, detailed environment and people, and a realistic design make sure you will enjoy the game. Seeing the bloody wounds on your enemy's head in slow-mo is also great.

Not a single bad thing about them.

SOUND:
    Great soundtrack, both the drums during the action scenes and the music outside of it is great. The voice-acting is terrific, with Max's actor in the lead. REPLAYABILITY:
    Despite its average-lengthed campaign, it does provide a lot of hours with its great multiplayer and arcade modes (I didn't played them much but they do seem fun), collectibles (some of which helps you action wise) and achievements that make you want to play it again.

Worth your money. Definitely.

TECHNICAL ISSUES:
    I ran to almost no bugs and glitches, except a few minor ones.

REAL SCORE: 9.25
  90. May 20, 2012
    Brilliant game, Rockstar delivers once again. Game play is smooth and at it's finest. Euphoria engine should be in pretty much every game I know, Its beautiful. Can't wait to finish it and continue my journey to multiplayer mode, Which offers again something no other game has on-line, slow mo kills in real time. Holllaaaaa
  91. May 24, 2012
    Those complaining about the game being linear need to pause before they speak. This is not an open world sandbox game by any stretch of the imagination, and it was never intended to be that style of game. If you want to say "Eff the main storyline I'm going to shoot arrows into the knees of guards" stick to a sandbox game. Just because the game is by definition "linear" does not make it aThose complaining about the game being linear need to pause before they speak. This is not an open world sandbox game by any stretch of the imagination, and it was never intended to be that style of game. If you want to say "Eff the main storyline I'm going to shoot arrows into the knees of guards" stick to a sandbox game. Just because the game is by definition "linear" does not make it a bad game. (some of the best games ever have been completely linear, anyone remember that game super mario 3?) What Max Payne 3 is however, is a well written and action packed adventure epic. I did not find the cut-scenes intrusive, but rather found them to be well done and add a lot to the progressing storyline. However, this may be because I love a good story, and actually like to be drawn into the story instead of desperately needing to keep my fingers moving the entire time (critics who keep complaining about the game making them sit still too long just go back to your stupid COD multiplayer and shut up. leave the rating of games with actual plotlines to your betters ie: people with attention spans larger than a squirrel's). My only beef is that sometimes the cover system is a tiny bit clunky, but in the long run this is rendered null and void once you learn how to master the bullet dodge and slow motion techniques.

In conclusion, this game is absolutely terrific and is definitely worth a buy.
  92. May 19, 2012
    This game is just EPIC love everything about this game,it's better then 1 and 2 combined the slow motion is just awesome,everything is worked out fantastic so i give this game a full 10 and is forth every penny big plus to Rockstar they did it again!!
  93. May 15, 2012
    This game is awesome. The campaign is spectacular. The multiplayer is marvelous. So far...best game of 2012.

The campaign definitely delivers on the sense of accomplishment because it will try you. You're gonna die a lot before realizing that the game isn't cheating, you DO have enough ammo, but you just have to play better. The way the story is presented is nothing short of a movie blockbuster. It emotionally drew me to the plight of Max Payne and it compelled me to fight for him. Well **** done, Rockstar.

Oh yeah, the multi-player. The most engrossing multiplayer I've played to date. The amount of achievements that result in XP are almost innumerable. They definitely put enough into the multiplayer for it to last for a year, easy. It's worth $60 bucks. Trust me.
  94. May 16, 2012
    I would compare this game to a more mature themed Uncharted 3 - BUT BETTER OVERALL. The graphics are better, the story is better, the controls are better and I'm about to play the multiplayer tonight which seems awesome. AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME GAME!
  95. May 17, 2012
    I have been waiting for this game for a long time now, all i can say now is Freaking awesome!!!! At first the gameplay takes a bit of getting used to, the way the characters move as you can feel the weight of the character and there weapons. Its pretty awesome.

Max Payne 3 also makes me wonder if this (Besides bullet time of course) is an early feel to what GTA 5 will play like..hmmm something to consider. As you can carry over your multiplayer Gang/crew over to GTA 5, which is also a cool feature and obviously will keep the multiplayer alive that time. The multiplayer also has quite a few weapons and attachments and gadgets to unlock as you progress to you rank 50. And a few cool features, like when you die you get to see how many times and where you were shot. The other cool feature i like is the Vendetta action, where if the same person keeps killing you can put a bounty type thingy on there head, but dont let them kill you again.

The single player is just epic if you are a max payne fan, if your not then its still epic. Yes the FMVs are a bit annoying at first but you do get used to it and sucked into the world of max payne 3. And for the 12hrs of single player thats longer than any shooter i have played this year. Theres also plenty of reason to keep playing the single player once finished, like the time challenge in arcade mode.

All i can say is Buy or at least rent max payne 3, its Outstanding!!!!!
  96. May 18, 2012
    This is an absolutely great game! The Story is really exciting and has some good twists and the voice acting is amazing. Combined with the stunning looking gameplay this is just the best Action Shooter I have seen in a long time. I think Rockstar did a good job at developing the character of Max Payne further, without losing his usual mannerisms and style. Multiplayer is also extremelyThis is an absolutely great game! The Story is really exciting and has some good twists and the voice acting is amazing. Combined with the stunning looking gameplay this is just the best Action Shooter I have seen in a long time. I think Rockstar did a good job at developing the character of Max Payne further, without losing his usual mannerisms and style. Multiplayer is also extremely enjoyable and offers a lot of variety with all the unlockables and different game modes. Expand
  97. May 18, 2012
    My review is primarily based on the multiplayer. I played the first couple chapters of the singleplayer game, but found it to be pretty boring. The multiplayer is pretty awful. The controls are very unresponsive. On occasion, when trying to roll, my character fails to roll at all. Taking cover takes too long as well -- not that taking cover is really useful. There seems to be no rhyme orMy review is primarily based on the multiplayer. I played the first couple chapters of the singleplayer game, but found it to be pretty boring. The multiplayer is pretty awful. The controls are very unresponsive. On occasion, when trying to roll, my character fails to roll at all. Taking cover takes too long as well -- not that taking cover is really useful. There seems to be no rhyme or reason behind what can kill you in multiplayer. For instance, when looking at where I had been shot after being killed, I discovered I had been killed by a single bullet to the forearm. ONE bullet in the FOREARM. The inaccuracy of a lot of the rifles is ridiculous. People can run around duel wielding submachineguns and hit me from long range, while my LMG with a good accuracy rating takes 40-50 bullets to kill something. The spawns are often terrible and some of the maps are pretty awful. I rented this game and feel like I wasted my money. Expand
  98. May 19, 2012
    Max Payne 3 is a game like no other. The gameplay itself is pretty simple: shooting people in slow motion isn't new but so fun. Everything works fine; from the cover system to the sootdodge, it is always enjoyable. Where Max Payne 3 really shines though, is in it's way to tell the story. There is a lot of cutscenes but they are all interesting to watch. The transition between cutscenes andMax Payne 3 is a game like no other. The gameplay itself is pretty simple: shooting people in slow motion isn't new but so fun. Everything works fine; from the cover system to the sootdodge, it is always enjoyable. Where Max Payne 3 really shines though, is in it's way to tell the story. There is a lot of cutscenes but they are all interesting to watch. The transition between cutscenes and gameplay is incredibly well done. You can play for hours without seeing a loading screen. The campaign in lengthy and the higher levels of difficulties are hard enough to bring a challenge. The multiplayer is a real suprise. First I thought it would be lame but I was so wrong. Diving in slowmotion from a building while shooting at the people under you is priceless. Expand
  99. May 23, 2012
    Ignore the rants of "bad shooting mechanics" . If you're not akin to or experienced in 3rd person shooters then more than likely it's not for you but if you've played and enjoyed the Uncharted frachise then you'll enjoy the gunplay and narratives of MP3. The graphics are stellar but Rockstar has just been on one this gen. Hollow-point slugs leave exit wounds and tear the flesh and the goreIgnore the rants of "bad shooting mechanics" . If you're not akin to or experienced in 3rd person shooters then more than likely it's not for you but if you've played and enjoyed the Uncharted frachise then you'll enjoy the gunplay and narratives of MP3. The graphics are stellar but Rockstar has just been on one this gen. Hollow-point slugs leave exit wounds and tear the flesh and the gore is awesome. Throughout the story you are constantly interrupted by cutscenes (which can get annoying) but these are needed to drive the plot in MP3 since all of the gameplay is strictly shoot 'em up. The AI is incredible. I've already noticed a few minor glitches but other than that enemies rarely die the same way twice. If you remain in cover while enemies have you pinned w/ cover fire, other soldiers will rush you and flush you out and if you don't progress while enemies are taking cover they'll wait you out and let you make the 1st move. This game is relentlessly difficult even for an avid gamer like me. Constant vigilance is required both in story and multi as enemies can be ridiculously accurate if they get the drop on you. Multiplayer is perfect for anyone who is just into the gameplay. Most mechanics and abilities of Max are translated well into the multiplayer world. Screwing enemy players over w/ a bullettime back-attack never gets old. It's so funny watching them try to turn around in time to shoot back. Altogether Max Payne 3 is a "rental-first" kind of game as it's not for everybody but if you haven't given it a chance, go rent the 1st disc at redbox or something because it's worth a try (*note: If you do happen to rent from redbox, the 1st disc is the only one available. Buddy of mine found out the hard way) Expand
  100. May 23, 2012
    I was bit nervous going into Max Payne 3. Linear experiences and good gunplay mechanics usually end up being brushed aside or falling short in most of most of Rockstar's games. But, as I should have realized, Rockstar has a thing for quality and Max Payne 3 is no exception. The linear gameplay allowed Rockstar Vancouver to focus its detail in a narrower setting and it looks beautiful.I was bit nervous going into Max Payne 3. Linear experiences and good gunplay mechanics usually end up being brushed aside or falling short in most of most of Rockstar's games. But, as I should have realized, Rockstar has a thing for quality and Max Payne 3 is no exception. The linear gameplay allowed Rockstar Vancouver to focus its detail in a narrower setting and it looks beautiful. Technically, it's the best game I have ever seen on a console. Major props should given to the sheer level of detail that was put into this game. All the animations are beautiful, and watching cover being torn apart before your eyes is breath taking. Seeing Max evolve as a character both physically and internally also pays out in a big in big way. As you progress Max will Slowly become more, and more of a wreck. His beard will start to grow, his hair will become messier, and he will get scarred up. Watching him evolve is one of the best parts of the game. With that said, the story is somewhat of a mess. It isn't necessarily bad, it's just confusing. I recommend playing through this game twice if you really want a good grasp of the story. The gameplay is very simple, but very satisfying. Watching bullet time play out in slow motion is both visceral and astounding. Once again, the detail in bullet time is fantastic.
    However this game is not for the faint of heart. The combat can be incredibly difficult and frustrating at times. A retry screen with the words 'DEAD' will plater your screen hundreds of times, especially if you choose to play on a harder difficulty. The cutscenes are also long and there is a lot of them. Didn't bother me, but if you are one of those players who doesn't care much for story in a videogame I would definitely pass on this one. Overall Max Payne 3 is a beautiful and rewarding game that I would recommend to anyone who is a fan of Rockstar games and is looking for a challenge.

1. Hyper Magazine
    Jul 8, 2012
    A compelling, down and dirty bullet basket populated by real characters and visceral gunplay. [July 2012, p.55]
  2. Jun 26, 2012
    The presentation is top-notch, the game feels like you want it to never end while you're playing it, and the multiplayer gives it longevity that will stick around for a good while.
  3. Pelit (Finland)
    Jun 20, 2012
    Max Payne 3 is a great action-movie experience with life-like characters that Rockstar is famous for. It does fall a bit flat on the actual action part, however. The controls on consoles are confusing and hard to get used to. Still very much worth a play-thru. It's also one of the best looking console games in the current generation. [June 2012]