7.8

1. May 22, 2012
    The first two games nailed: the drama, noir aspect, the traumatized protagonist, bullet time mechanic and just the overall feel of the game was spot-on. Going into Max Payne 3 I knew the setting had changed and that Max was starting out a new life in Sao Paulo. The first few moments shows us that he still had his painkiller and drinking addictions and still suffered for the death of hisThe first two games nailed: the drama, noir aspect, the traumatized protagonist, bullet time mechanic and just the overall feel of the game was spot-on. Going into Max Payne 3 I knew the setting had changed and that Max was starting out a new life in Sao Paulo. The first few moments shows us that he still had his painkiller and drinking addictions and still suffered for the death of his wife and child, so it wasn't all sunshines and flowers. Fast forwarding he is working as a bodyguard for a rich family. The plot is pretty simple in scope but thanks to the impressive writing and voice acting it all takes a new depth not found in other stories. Max delivers his story in monologue that are heard during the game. He shows wisdom and delivers his lines with a lot of impact. Gameplay is another solid point, shooting feels accurate and powerful. The bullet time mechanic is well implemented and is put to great use, though sometimes using the shootdodge may leave you vulnerable on the ground for a few seconds. The gameplay feel really like the Max Paynes of the past. Thought the game presents a challenge and you'll die a lot if you don't use the new cover system. Walls crumble and glass breaks, the destructible enviroments help you feel the chaos that involves a real shootout and after you have finished one you can take a moment to grasp your work. Sound is a very important factor and Rockstar gets it right gunfires have a crunch to them and the slow motion ''wooshes'' sound awesome, plus the soundtrack by HEALTH is brilliant and fits very well. Rockstar is known for making incredible graphics, and Max Payne doesn't disappoint, the game is filtered through various effect that may be a little distracting for some players but the overall detail edge to each enviroment is impressive. Everything looks pretty and realistic. Overall Max Payne 3 is a solid game, it goes back to the old days of non-regenerating health, and features a stellar story with lots of interesting characters and plot twists, the graphics lend it a real life feel and the sound desing and soundtrack help you inmerse in this world. Oh and the multiplayer is great fun. I definately recommend the game to fans and non fans of Max. Expand
  2. May 20, 2012
    Brilliant game, Rockstar delivers once again. Game play is smooth and at it's finest. Euphoria engine should be in pretty much every game I know, Its beautiful. Can't wait to finish it and continue my journey to multiplayer mode, Which offers again something no other game has on-line, slow mo kills in real time. Holllaaaaa
  3. May 18, 2012
    Campaign is nice, im 4 hours into it and its good, but the multiplayer is fantastic, i should give this game a 10 because of the trolls giving it a 4 or less but whatever, if you like third person shooters and online shooters this is a must buy, i dont give 2 **** what everybody else says this game is a solid 9 and that the end of it.
  4. Dec 31, 2012
    Great storyline and decent game play keep Max Payne alive and worth your while. I picked up the special edition at Gamestop on sale for $20.00. This package is well worth the price. I am addicted to this game and the story has me coming back for more. This game is well written and as always a little twisted with the characters choices.
  5. May 16, 2012
    Max Payne real return and this cool.well,the main thing a person looks in any product is that it should be a fun experience worth playing. Max Payne 3 is all of that and much more.
  6. May 18, 2012
    Initially I never played any one of the Max Payne games before, so I do not know the gameplay and story of the other games. In May Payne 3, Max is a former policeman and the events take place 9 years after the second game, with the opening showing a low down Max, between alcohol and painkillers, remembering the tragedies of his past, mixing scenes of this and of the present, in hisInitially I never played any one of the Max Payne games before, so I do not know the gameplay and story of the other games. In May Payne 3, Max is a former policeman and the events take place 9 years after the second game, with the opening showing a low down Max, between alcohol and painkillers, remembering the tragedies of his past, mixing scenes of this and of the present, in his apartment in Brazil.From the Main Menu, we have the options: Story, Arcade, Multiplayer, Settings, Xbox Live Marketplace, with the Social Club fire with Start. Starting a game, we see New, Continue, and Grinds Chapter Select (statistics collectibles) and start a game when you select the difficulty from Easy, Medium, Hard, Hardcore and OldSchool (the last two blocked, released when finished with Hard), and then the targeting system options, from Hard Lock, Soft Lock and Free Aim.The game's graphics are very realistic, with details that go up the pores in the skin of the characters, the graphic details of blood and bruises are ultra-realistic. When you fire the bullet time with the right analog button, the screen goes into slow motion, black and white and can aim at enemies, the shots are realistic too about the damage and injured body part, and we see detailed splashes of blood and bloody footprints, not to mention the occasional Bullet Time itself, with the camera following the bullet's path, as we see in Sniper Elite.I'm from Sao Paulo and I can say that the "recreated" city it's not like that: they mixed São Paulo with Rio de Janeiro, creating a stereotype that many foreign people have of Brazil. We don't have bananas trees everywhere, and the buildings blend several areas of the city, in a fictional version of the city - like other detail like the stereotype image of the people, musical taste and culture of people we have here (yes, we like football, but it's not like a religion). The game's story is being told it with the graphics engine, and and scenes sometimes raw and visually distorted, showing the mental changes in Max, by alcohol and analgesics. Often the scenes go by a comic cut and mixed with cinematic action sequences.In the audio, the game uses orchestrated track, and melancholy narratives, dialogs are very well staged, and have a line of narrative, told by Max, heavy and dense. The voices of the enemies, in Portuguese, are very good, but not so polished: they have a mixed accent of other regions, and some are convincing, other like the actor were reading something (or acting badly) but dubbed dialogs are concise in the dialogs.The action is of a 3rd person shooter with pre-defined scenarios, full of action, with very fluid motion capture: you use the traditional mechanic to advance through the scenarios shooting at enemies and using objects for cover and to jump over them. The scenarios have intense firefights, where you should use Bullet Time to kill the enemies and try not to be killed.The saves the game are of the area of fixed checkpoint kind, and automatic - the good news is that they are very frequent, and usually at the beginning some action sequence, restoring your life.The shots damage scenarios, and it is well done, and each material has a kind of reaction that affects the bullet, for example in a parking lot, was in a shootout, and entered a sequence of Bullet Time, while a shot a thug in the face another shot hit a water pipe that was on the wall, splashing water. The materials react realistically and cartridges fall to the ground.For a comparative example, who has not played Max Payne before, looks like a "Kane and Lynch" in steroids. In shootouts, sometimes entered the Kill Cam, which shows the bullets of different weapons realistically reaching the enemy, and you can make the time pass more slowly with A and continue shooting for more multiple hits.The life is represented by a figure in white, that diminishes, and becomes red to death: there is a partial regeneration, depending on the checkpoints - in most cases you should use the Painkillers with dpad-up or use the Last Stand Kill, where you at brink of death, hits the enemy in Bullet Time and if kill him, gets a lot of life back.The game allows the use of multiple weapons fired in a "wheel" of weapons with LB, and can use a Dual-Wield of different weapons - and in the scenarios we find pieces of golden weapons, which are the collectibles of the game, and course "collectable" statistics (enemies killed by rifles, shot on legs, etc).

The Multiplayer mode has also been discussed by critics as excellent, I look forward to test it - it have a competitive feature, based on clans and the gameplay based on what we see in the game, complete with Bullet Time and Kill Cams.Overall this is another great work of Rockstar, a great 3rd person shooter, with great graphics and well written story, and an incessant action, which although not innovative, promises a great game full of action until the end.
  7. May 19, 2012
    Rockstar has done it again! Max Payne 3 is just another great game that Rockstar has developed! The gameplay is very smooth, and transactions from gameplay to cutscene or cutscene to gameplay is very well done as it is the smoothest that I have ever played. I did not play any of the earlier Max Paynes so I was a little bit worried that I would be lost in the story. Thankfully this wasn'tRockstar has done it again! Max Payne 3 is just another great game that Rockstar has developed! The gameplay is very smooth, and transactions from gameplay to cutscene or cutscene to gameplay is very well done as it is the smoothest that I have ever played. I did not play any of the earlier Max Paynes so I was a little bit worried that I would be lost in the story. Thankfully this wasn't the case I was able to pick the game up and play, as well as know what was going on. The multiplayer is extreamly addicting and fun to play. With so many different modes like, Gang Wars, Team Deathmatch, and just plain old deathmatch (free for all) THE VERDICT: Max Payne 3 is a great game and I suggest that everyone go out and buy it. The game is even better with friends. Nothing like kicking back with a couple of buddies and playing some Gang wars (which will give you alot of cash, and XP! Stay thirsty gamers Expand
  8. May 21, 2012
    Max Payne bring back memories, Max Payne 2 was one of my favorite games, I've been waiting for this game and hoped that it will not suck.
    what do you know, I was right, this game.. this game is god damn awsome.
    what do you know, I was right, this game.. this game is god damn awsome.
    the animation of Max really makes you feel like you are Max, the graphics are very good but there is some low detail graphics here and there I believe it is because of the limited power of the console and not the actual game.
    the gameplay is.. amazing, one of the best - if not the best gun play I've played. the enemies feels aware and the AI is changed based on what kind of enemy it is - oh and btw this game made me learn - flak jacket is one hell of protection.
    the sound and voice acting is very good, same old max, dark depressed and sarcastic.
    the multiplayer have lots to unlock and load of challenges to complete, the mods are fun to play and bursts make the game interesting.
    I will not spoil the story - I will end it here.
    this game is great, buy it, play it, have a lot of fun with it.
  9. May 23, 2012
    this game is addictive and lots of fun. I enjoyed the story(although some might find it a bit predictable), the combat is also great(although, I would have liked to be able to carry a few more weapons, and at least 1 or 2 explosives). The only problem I had with it is that I couldn't put it down and now I am finished with the game (only 4 days after I got it). Though, I can see me playingthis game is addictive and lots of fun. I enjoyed the story(although some might find it a bit predictable), the combat is also great(although, I would have liked to be able to carry a few more weapons, and at least 1 or 2 explosives). The only problem I had with it is that I couldn't put it down and now I am finished with the game (only 4 days after I got it). Though, I can see me playing it again sometime in the future. Expand
  10. May 15, 2012
    As you always expect with a Rockstar title, this game is excellent. They've taken the core mechanics of the Max Payne series and put their own spin on it. Bullet time was tested in Red Dead Redemption and perfected for this title.

Without going into any details or spoilers on the story, this reminds me a lot of the film 'Man on Fire' - great intense action throughout. I've yet to experience the multiplayer, but even as an offline single player title you'll get plenty of bang for your buck. Complete the game to unlock Old School and Hardcore mode and there's also an arcade mode to keep you busy.

Overall a brilliant, polished experience that Rockstar continues to deliver game after game. A must buy!
  11. Mar 8, 2013
    Max Payne 3 marks the return of the John Mclain of the gaming world, Max Payne, as he ventures through one of the most action packed and well written stories of 2012.
    Max now lives in Sao Paulo for the rich family Branco, he is a bodyguard, a drunk and a painkiller addict. When the family is targeted by people living in the Favelas close to their home Max has to jump back into action to find the people responsible for the deaths of his employers and who threaten his life too.
    Max Payne 3's story has been told time and time again, however not as good as MP3 does it. MP3 is heavily cutscene based with all the gameplay taking place during the gunfights. Though this detracts from the experience it only makes the story better and better by giving you such a tight narrative. But when the gameplay does kick in it is one of the most enjoyable third-person shooters you will ever play. Feeling very similar to Gears of War and Spec Ops the Line with very well structured controls and great environments to fight in ranging from airports to clubs.
    Max Payne 3 is not a game you can miss if you like action games, it has something to please everyone.
  12. May 21, 2012
    Firstly I'll just say this is a fantastically gripping game. After reading the first bunch of reviews I was considering not buying it, I'm glad I did.

The game plays well, I played through it first time on hard with the no aim aid which made it seem all the more desperate, and that's what this games all about, one mans desperate struggle. The gunplay is solid, simple and satisfying, I personally don't see what else you need here, the plentiful guns make cool noises and you can see the impact they have on enemies. The cover mechanic is like an improved version of what you've seen before in RDR and GTA. The environments are very detailed and the bullets flying around rip it to pieces. There's one stand out level in a big office and there's literally nothing left of it after you finish slaying an army of mercenaries. Brilliant. Doing it all in slow mo just adds to how cool this game looks when your in a gunfight, you feel Max's impacts when you shoot dodge and hit a wall or fly down a set of steps, you kind think **** that looked sore". The story is brilliant, I'm not gonna give anything away but it plays like a thriller/drama (sorry, captain obvious alert), and if that's your kind of thing you'll enjoy it.

I've seen a few complaints about the style of the cut scenes, the words popping up and all that, to me that's just a natural progression from the comic book style of the previous two? I like it and it show the game is moving with the times. The way the camera sort of blurs up and scan lines appear as well is different, not bad or invasive, just different and new. I kinda think that it says something about Max and what he's going through, the guys permanently half cut and addicted to pain meds, maybe it has something to do with what he's seeing or something? Or it's just a random addition and means bugger all.

The multiplayer is a good addition, the action is a lot faster paced than the single player and there is enough customisation and unlocks to keep you playing for a while. So for me this a great fun game with a well written gritty story, greatly satisfying gunfights and slow mo kill cams, plus a long lasting multiplayer. What more do you need?
  13. May 16, 2012
    This game, once you get the controls down to where you are comfortable moving around, taking cover, etc. is definitely worth checking out. I have always been happy with Rockstar because they give you $60 worth of a game. I enjoyed Red Dead Redemption, GTA IV, and L.A. Noire. All of these titles were worth their price. Surprisingly, the campaign in this game kept me guessing. I expected toThis game, once you get the controls down to where you are comfortable moving around, taking cover, etc. is definitely worth checking out. I have always been happy with Rockstar because they give you $60 worth of a game. I enjoyed Red Dead Redemption, GTA IV, and L.A. Noire. All of these titles were worth their price. Surprisingly, the campaign in this game kept me guessing. I expected to go in guns blazing most time, but sometimes things happened that weren't like anything I guessed. The multiplayer is also worth checking out. The ease of play within the multiplayer part of the game surprised me also. Most games have camping, elite players, etc. This game encourages everyone to play, and you are rewarded for doing so. Overall, this game is worth playing. Expand
  14. May 16, 2012
    I have never played a Max Payne game before but this game intrigued me and boy am I glad I bought it! If anyone is doubting buying this because they've never played the series, buy it because it is loads of fun. The story is very cinematic and has a great premise. The story immerses you into the game and makes you want to keep playing. The multiplayer is fun as well but its more fun if youI have never played a Max Payne game before but this game intrigued me and boy am I glad I bought it! If anyone is doubting buying this because they've never played the series, buy it because it is loads of fun. The story is very cinematic and has a great premise. The story immerses you into the game and makes you want to keep playing. The multiplayer is fun as well but its more fun if you play with a crew. Overall its a pretty good game and I recommend it to anyone who likes third person shooters or shooters in general. Graphics are a 9/10, gameplay is a 10/10, lasting appeal is a 9/10, and story is a 10/10 Expand
  15. May 17, 2012
    The overall gameplay is great with good shooting and bullet time. The normal difficultly brings up a satisfying challenge and some of the parts are hard to get by. The damage system is just right, where aiming at the head does provide a huge difference in damage. There is also a lot of extra content, like New York Minute. I would give this game a 10 but aiming on the left side I haveThe overall gameplay is great with good shooting and bullet time. The normal difficultly brings up a satisfying challenge and some of the parts are hard to get by. The damage system is just right, where aiming at the head does provide a huge difference in damage. There is also a lot of extra content, like New York Minute. I would give this game a 10 but aiming on the left side I have had some experience with shooting through walls. Expand
  16. May 17, 2012
    Really love Max Payne 3 a lot. I am on chapter 3 of the single player and it has me so engaged. I can't recall the last time I was into a single player of game this much (Maybe Bulletstorm). The multiplayer is really fun as well. I think this is for sure a must own game. Even if your not super big on shooters you will enjoy it due to it's great story, cut scenes, graphics and voice acting.
  17. Jun 3, 2012
    Im an older gamer thats been playing for over 20 years and Im telling you if you like shooters with a cool story this game is worth your time and money. But pay attention to the reviews first because this still might not be for you. The game has many cut scenes, even in arcade mode, and will constantly interupt your playing,so if you cant handle it please dont buy it and give it a badIm an older gamer thats been playing for over 20 years and Im telling you if you like shooters with a cool story this game is worth your time and money. But pay attention to the reviews first because this still might not be for you. The game has many cut scenes, even in arcade mode, and will constantly interupt your playing,so if you cant handle it please dont buy it and give it a bad review. The story reminds me of Man On Fire and I couldnt quit till I got to the end. Gameplay takes time to get used to as its harder to aim than other shooters, but if you stick with it youll get better. Graphics are some of the best ive seen. The reason I love it is because it feels fresh and different. Isnt that what were always wanting from developers anyway? Well here it is. Expand
  18. May 23, 2012
    I was bit nervous going into Max Payne 3. Linear experiences and good gunplay mechanics usually end up being brushed aside or falling short in most of most of Rockstar's games. But, as I should have realized, Rockstar has a thing for quality and Max Payne 3 is no exception. The linear gameplay allowed Rockstar Vancouver to focus its detail in a narrower setting and it looks beautiful.I was bit nervous going into Max Payne 3. Linear experiences and good gunplay mechanics usually end up being brushed aside or falling short in most of most of Rockstar's games. But, as I should have realized, Rockstar has a thing for quality and Max Payne 3 is no exception. The linear gameplay allowed Rockstar Vancouver to focus its detail in a narrower setting and it looks beautiful. Technically, it's the best game I have ever seen on a console. Major props should given to the sheer level of detail that was put into this game. All the animations are beautiful, and watching cover being torn apart before your eyes is breath taking. Seeing Max evolve as a character both physically and internally also pays out in a big in big way. As you progress Max will Slowly become more, and more of a wreck. His beard will start to grow, his hair will become messier, and he will get scarred up. Watching him evolve is one of the best parts of the game. With that said, the story is somewhat of a mess. It isn't necessarily bad, it's just confusing. I recommend playing through this game twice if you really want a good grasp of the story. The gameplay is very simple, but very satisfying. Watching bullet time play out in slow motion is both visceral and astounding. Once again, the detail in bullet time is fantastic.
    However this game is not for the faint of heart. The combat can be incredibly difficult and frustrating at times. A retry screen with the words 'DEAD' will plater your screen hundreds of times, especially if you choose to play on a harder difficulty. The cutscenes are also long and there is a lot of them. Didn't bother me, but if you are one of those players who doesn't care much for story in a videogame I would definitely pass on this one. Overall Max Payne 3 is a beautiful and rewarding game that I would recommend to anyone who is a fan of Rockstar games and is looking for a challenge.
  19. May 24, 2012
    Beautiful visuals, intense gameplay, good use of Max's old fashioned Bullet-Time, and an awesome multiplayer. Yes the story is linear, DUH. It's not an open world game or RPG, not all games are giving into the genre, and Max Payne is sticking to it's drama cutscene filled, intense firefights and twists in the plot to make it the great game it is. The multiplayer is ambitious and somethingBeautiful visuals, intense gameplay, good use of Max's old fashioned Bullet-Time, and an awesome multiplayer. Yes the story is linear, DUH. It's not an open world game or RPG, not all games are giving into the genre, and Max Payne is sticking to it's drama cutscene filled, intense firefights and twists in the plot to make it the great game it is. The multiplayer is ambitious and something new out of not just the 3rd person shooters but shooter multiplayers altogether. Using bullet time and other perks like Paranoia are awesome ways to lose track of time while dual wielding Uzis and wiping out an opposing gang. Expand
  20. Jun 3, 2012
    outstanding game... had the feel of original max payne with the story and the dialog. this game engine is the same as red dead redemption makes me want to play GTA 5 even badder now! rockstar knocks it out the park yet again!!!
  21. May 24, 2012
    Having never been a huge fan of the MP franchise, I bought this one as more of a time filler than anything else. This, so far, is one of the best titles of the year. Graphically the game is very good, with the searing heat of Sao Paulo brilliantly conveyed. The presentation is what we've come to expect from Rockstar, but this time they've really outdone themselves, the game has a veryHaving never been a huge fan of the MP franchise, I bought this one as more of a time filler than anything else. This, so far, is one of the best titles of the year. Graphically the game is very good, with the searing heat of Sao Paulo brilliantly conveyed. The presentation is what we've come to expect from Rockstar, but this time they've really outdone themselves, the game has a very gritty grind house feel which I personally think suits the dark nature of the story and is a great refreshing change. Maybe a word of warning though, this game is very, very violent - the effects are graphic but done so much better than anything I have seen before. Sound design is spot on and the gameplay is great fun, cover mechanics and bullet time make this game a hoot. There is a lot of fun to be had out with the single player with some great variations on the campaign. Special mention to multiplayer though, it is brilliant, loads of game modes and really good pacing make this a very very enjoyable title! Expand
  22. May 25, 2012
    Great game. Pure fun. The acting is good, the graphics are good, and the sound is great. Haven't played much multiplayer because i don't like interacting with the little foul mouth 10 year old that populate the land of Xbox live but the little bit I did play was pretty fun. The only downside is the long unskippable cutscenes. There great the fist time around but on your second or thirdGreat game. Pure fun. The acting is good, the graphics are good, and the sound is great. Haven't played much multiplayer because i don't like interacting with the little foul mouth 10 year old that populate the land of Xbox live but the little bit I did play was pretty fun. The only downside is the long unskippable cutscenes. There great the fist time around but on your second or third play through it gets very annoying. Still a way better game then I expected. Expand
  23. Jun 3, 2012
    It's Rockstar game but it's far from GTA or RDR. Some complain about the cinematics frequency but for me this game is like good, adult action movie and I definitely like such story driven gameplay. I am a fan of first Max Payne but this game couldn't (and shouldn't) resemble that classic. Instead we've got modern gameplay mechanics combined with great story of redemption and revenge. MaxIt's Rockstar game but it's far from GTA or RDR. Some complain about the cinematics frequency but for me this game is like good, adult action movie and I definitely like such story driven gameplay. I am a fan of first Max Payne but this game couldn't (and shouldn't) resemble that classic. Instead we've got modern gameplay mechanics combined with great story of redemption and revenge. Max may be older but he's still badass. Expand
  24. Jun 14, 2012
    Max payne 3 it's a really great game, which keeps the same experience of the two previous games to the new generation without losing anything in the process, and only this is an achievement. It is multi-dimensional in many ways, including not only the main character, but other people, the environment and atmosphere. Rockstar understood that the noir clime doesn't resume in snow and blackMax payne 3 it's a really great game, which keeps the same experience of the two previous games to the new generation without losing anything in the process, and only this is an achievement. It is multi-dimensional in many ways, including not only the main character, but other people, the environment and atmosphere. Rockstar understood that the noir clime doesn't resume in snow and black and white colors, and brought this in a beautiful and colorful Brazil's adaptation, which may be exceeded sometimes, but is still great. The only point the game misses is if the story in the beginning develpos in a really good way, the final act seems to finish faster and doesn't bring that plot twist that we would hope for. Expand
  25. Jun 4, 2012
    Best third person shooter ive ever played(.) amazing graphics, and amazing story. Max is now my fav. Video game character. The best part of the game is the slow motion (bullet time) this is achieved by geting kills, and filling up your meter.. Then you can use it... Diving of biuldings, and down staircases in slow mo is awsome. And the story is good.. They some how managed to integrate theBest third person shooter ive ever played(.) amazing graphics, and amazing story. Max is now my fav. Video game character. The best part of the game is the slow motion (bullet time) this is achieved by geting kills, and filling up your meter.. Then you can use it... Diving of biuldings, and down staircases in slow mo is awsome. And the story is good.. They some how managed to integrate the bullet time into multiplayer.. It sounds crazy, but if you get enough kills, u can put everyone else in slow mo. The multiplayer isnt as good as the single, but is still good. Alot of customizing, and abilitys. I loved this game. Expand
  26. Jun 5, 2012
    welcome back to max payne. i was surprised that to hear that another max payne game was being developed, after playing the first two games a long long time ago i thought he was dead and buried. Max payne 3 is a marvellous story based game in the style of alan wake but much more fun. yes, there are a lot of cut scenes but this adds to the depth of the story. the controls are excellent. thewelcome back to max payne. i was surprised that to hear that another max payne game was being developed, after playing the first two games a long long time ago i thought he was dead and buried. Max payne 3 is a marvellous story based game in the style of alan wake but much more fun. yes, there are a lot of cut scenes but this adds to the depth of the story. the controls are excellent. the only problem i find with this game is if you get downed by an enemy and go into bullet time, occasionally you cannot shoot back at the bad guy who has downed you. apart from that, the story is brilliant and the multiplayer, although not perfect is a riot if you are on with friends. Expand
  27. KRM
    Jun 29, 2012
    Rockstar yet again have shown why they are without a doubt the most credible and reliable game company in the world. Rockstar simply cannot make a bad game! I remember playing Max Payne 1 & 2 when I was younger (and being terrified at the opening sequence in Max Payne 1) and number 3 lives up to the reputation of the past two. Yeah it may not feel entirely the same, but that's because it'sRockstar yet again have shown why they are without a doubt the most credible and reliable game company in the world. Rockstar simply cannot make a bad game! I remember playing Max Payne 1 & 2 when I was younger (and being terrified at the opening sequence in Max Payne 1) and number 3 lives up to the reputation of the past two. Yeah it may not feel entirely the same, but that's because it's set in a different world and the game has been made in a different generation of console. The cinematic's are top notch, the best I've witnessed in a game since Red Dead and GTA (Rockstar yet again). The voice acting is superb. James McCaffrey is as brilliant as ever as Max, every line he utters is gold. The gameplay is also superb, Rockstar really used it's physics engine to full effect here. The music is fantastic, Rockstar as ever has crafted and picked a beautiful array of scores and the ending song composed by HEALTH entitled 'Pain' is masterful and emotional, it made me ponder the time I had grown up and spent with Max playing these brilliant games. The multiplayer is also very good and addictive. The only criticism I could possibly draw is that DLC is available to provide new maps based on levels from the story mode, where as I think that all maps based off levels from the story mode should be included from the start. Having said that this is a near perfect game and a brilliant possible conclusion to the Max Payne saga. Rockstar I salute you, and Max I salute you too. Expand
  28. Jul 2, 2012
    Rock star Games did an amazing job on this game. The campaign is intense, fun, action packed. You get right into the story and don't want to stop playing. Only bad thing i noticed of the story is it hard to go back to the main menu, kinda long cut scenes. Multiplayer is crazy good, its balanced, lots of weapons and customization. Beautiful graphics and good realistic actions to theRock star Games did an amazing job on this game. The campaign is intense, fun, action packed. You get right into the story and don't want to stop playing. Only bad thing i noticed of the story is it hard to go back to the main menu, kinda long cut scenes. Multiplayer is crazy good, its balanced, lots of weapons and customization. Beautiful graphics and good realistic actions to the multiplayer. When a grenade goes off you get thrown back from the explosion. You get shot in the leg you fall over or stumble. Overall the game has fun game play, good graphics, realistic features no other game has. Expand
  29. Jul 13, 2012
    What a game. It reinvents what it created to begin with. Pure innovation. Great to the point it feels like a movie. Online play isn't your regular Call of Duty Modern Warfare, but it does try.
  30. Aug 2, 2012
    The game is amazing.The story is well worth playing multiple times and the "In A New York Minuet" Mode make it very fun to play and compete against other player's time.The multiplayer can get a bit frustrating at times but I played it and never got mad that my team lost because I was having so much fun.The bullet time feature in multiplayer is amazingly fun and works very well.But the gameThe game is amazing.The story is well worth playing multiple times and the "In A New York Minuet" Mode make it very fun to play and compete against other player's time.The multiplayer can get a bit frustrating at times but I played it and never got mad that my team lost because I was having so much fun.The bullet time feature in multiplayer is amazingly fun and works very well.But the game does have its flaws,some players do cheat in online and the story is very hard to follow if you're a new comer to the Max Payne story.The multiplayer will need a little time to get the hang of but other than that the game is amazingly fun. Expand
  31. Oct 11, 2012
    Without having another Max Payne game under my belt but having watched Man on Fire and the Max Payne I think I have different expectations and perception of this game than most people do. I really liked it! I thought the slow mo gunning down people was fantastic so much that I picked up other games after and was annoyed that it was too fast and I couldn't be as much of a bad ass. I neverWithout having another Max Payne game under my belt but having watched Man on Fire and the Max Payne I think I have different expectations and perception of this game than most people do. I really liked it! I thought the slow mo gunning down people was fantastic so much that I picked up other games after and was annoyed that it was too fast and I couldn't be as much of a bad ass. I never really got bored of the weapons even though it felt like I was constantly using the same weapons. The ammo scarcity was really great to the point that you were cautious about making your ammo count but not to the point that was it was debilitating if you overextended ammo here and there. The story is really what stood out to me. While I would normally argue that the cutscenes were long and frequent it was paired with commentary throughout the missions that made it melt together fairly seamlessly. Visually the game looked really good, nothing groundbreaking, but just really good. The atmosphere was perfect. At times you were a high rolling body guard bad ass at a cool location and other times you were a grimy piece of **** blasting your way though people. I know people were bothered by how the character didn't seem like a real Max Payne, but having not played the originals, and assuming the movie wasn't entirely accurate to the character in the games I really didn't have a clear vision of who Max Payne was. After playing Max Payne 3 I can say this, he is a harsh bitter ol alcoholic who will mow through the bad guys; most importantly, I like him. Expand
  32. Dec 19, 2012
    It's kind of hard to explain how much fun Max Payne 3 really is. As a huge fan of Rockstar Games' work, I went into Max Payne thinking it would be awesome, and it was. Max has lived a troubled life. His family has been murdered. And he has become addicted to pain meds and alcohol. After being discharged from the NYPD because of involvement in criminal activities, Max has traveled to SaoIt's kind of hard to explain how much fun Max Payne 3 really is. As a huge fan of Rockstar Games' work, I went into Max Payne thinking it would be awesome, and it was. Max has lived a troubled life. His family has been murdered. And he has become addicted to pain meds and alcohol. After being discharged from the NYPD because of involvement in criminal activities, Max has traveled to Sao Paulo, Brazil with an old friend of his to work as a bodyguard for the rich and famous real estate mogul Rodrigo Branco. Max hopes that this will be easy work, a good "retirement plan," but things soon don't go as planned and Max is put right in the middle of another war. Max's story, to say the least, is arguably the best story of 2012. I'm not going to spoil anything about the story, but it features some of the biggest twists that take the campaign down a deep, dark, and gruesome road. The visuals in this game could not be better. Although I did witness some audio troubles during the cutscene to gameplay transitions, something that Max Payne is known for. Cutscenes are a massive part of this game too. Max Payne 3 is practically an interactive movie, where the cutscenes are the loading screens and they blend with the gameplay. This can be frustrating at times though. If you're looking to return to a mission hoping to get an achievement or a trophy, you have to watch the cutscenes entirely. The campaign is the best part of the whole experience. Let's not forget about the killer gameplay and controls. The gameplay is constantly smooth and never choppy. In Max Payne, you have special abilities like Bullet Dodge and Bullet Time. With Bullet Dodge, Max jumps into the air in slow motion, allowing him to finish off any remaining enemies with more precision, while at the same time dodging bullets that are shot. Bullet Time is similar, Max slows down time and finishes off enemies. Multiplayer is also a major plus to Max Payne. You have your standard modes like Free-for-all and Team Deathmatch, but you also have the unique modes like Payne Killer, where someone plays as Max and his partner Passos and the rest of the lobby attempts to kill them, and Gang Wars, a story-like game mode that consists of five different stages where one team triumphs over the other. Both of these modes are fun and really enjoyable. In conclusion, Max Payne is an incredible experience that sure isn't to be missed. Some audio issues and an annoying cutscene problem are this games downfall. But not by much. Expand
  33. Jan 22, 2013
    "Max Payne 3" is the third outing by Rockstar Games of the incredibly depressing, wise-cracking NY cop turned body guard. Being a huge fan of Rockstar Games ever since I played "GTA III", I never got around to the "Max Payne" games. Especially since graphics have improved tremendously since the PS2 era (and it shows here with an excellent attention to detail and a masterfully recreated"Max Payne 3" is the third outing by Rockstar Games of the incredibly depressing, wise-cracking NY cop turned body guard. Being a huge fan of Rockstar Games ever since I played "GTA III", I never got around to the "Max Payne" games. Especially since graphics have improved tremendously since the PS2 era (and it shows here with an excellent attention to detail and a masterfully recreated Brazil). Either way, It's fairly safe to jump into the third game without playing the first two. I think it serves the story even better that way as well. It gives Max a dark and mysterious past for me to discover and learn about. He's not the only complicated character either. Passos is your partner who helps you in Brazil. I thought the chemistry between him and Max were comically priceless. You need to know, though, that this is a straight-up,Die Hard, action game. The cutscenes are straight out of a Blockbuster action movie and the shootouts are, strangely enough, beautiful. Max even resembles the likes of a present-day Bruce Willis. I loved that he was a middle-aged man far past his prime. The folks at Rockstar are the best writers out there in the game industry and they write this morally-flawed hero to near perfection. His corny one-liners and monologues contrast perfectly to the realistically brutal world of Brazil. This game is very bloody and, if you're like me and love gleeful, Tarantino-esque violence, it will give you many "Hell yeah!" and "Holy **** moments. Also, the way you perform these shootouts is very fluid and as realistic as over-the-top action can be. This is Rockstar's rebuttal to the "Uncharted" series by Naughty Dog. Max Payne has this cinematic feel to it and I can easily say it's the best action movie I've ever played. My only issue with it was that some of Max's lines surpassed the cheese level I signed up for but they're mostly charming and clever throughout. Gameplay is very solid, story is chalk-full of good-old action and dialogue, and multiplayer is crazy fun. Trust me, this game kick-ass and allows you to deliver your enemies, dare I say it, maximum pain. Expand
  34. Feb 5, 2013
    I love this game so much the gunplay is so much fun and the story is one of mt favorite ever i love max and passos and the graphics are good to the gameplay is so much fun even if it gets almost to hard at the end but this game is so good
  35. Apr 12, 2013
    A really good game. The gameplay is top notch, the story is good and the multiplayer is in my opinion just beautiful. I bought the rockstar pass for the multiplayer and I don't regret it at all. Graphix are great and well detailed. One of the best shooters I've ever played. If you haven't played it yet, the go get it now.
  36. Jun 17, 2013
    So, this game was pretty damn different from the originals. In terms of effects and design the game is miles away from the comic book style of the first game. But I don't mind that. I'm glad they took a new direction with this. The visual effects are over used, but nice non-the-less.

The story is engaging and enjoyable. Combat is pretty decent and the guns are fun to use. Side quests like collecting golden parts are fun and do add to the game. I enjoyed the flashbacks and throwbacks to the originals but enjoyed the new stuff coming to the table.

Overall, Max Payne 3 is an enjoyable shooter. The single player is worth checking out, the multiplayer is fun if you enjoy third person shooting in an online environment, but offers no new experiences.
  37. Jun 22, 2013
    This is good and excellent game it gets half of the things right for a good game but accept it has one flaw that holds it back one those very annoying visual effects uhh every second it felt like I was in Kane and Lynch uhh I hate those things but you must by this title because it introduces you. You have a very good battles but this a game you must buy not let it slip off your hands.
  38. Jul 4, 2013
    The gameplay itself is very modernised and authentic. The realism of gameplay itself is very good and eye-catching. The plot as well is a very dark and gritty storyline for the protagonist who had lost his wife and baby child in the first previous game. A smashing masterpiece of a game.
  39. Jul 23, 2013
    A well made shooter with an interesting story and characters.It might seem unfair at times(talking about the shooting).but its fun and it has good difficulty. I love the fact that you actually need to use cover and think about ammo it makes it really fun and engaging. It is not perfect but it is a really good game.
  40. Dec 23, 2017
    Спившейся Макс, геймпад, телевизор, slo-mo, стрельба по македонски, видеотрансляции со дна Бразильских фавел, сотни врагов, это все еще лучший боевик где взводишь курок ты сам.
  41. Mar 12, 2014
    This game is amazing....awesome graphics,voice acting, gun fight and else...but still not better than Max Payne 2....the multiplayer si really fun too...but the story it aint that good(max payne 1 and 2 was 10 times better ) ....to be honest sao paulo as place to fight is not that good as New York (that few missions in new york are the best missions in the game)....max payne 3 its aThis game is amazing....awesome graphics,voice acting, gun fight and else...but still not better than Max Payne 2....the multiplayer si really fun too...but the story it aint that good(max payne 1 and 2 was 10 times better ) ....to be honest sao paulo as place to fight is not that good as New York (that few missions in new york are the best missions in the game)....max payne 3 its a masterpiece but the not perfect...a 9 from me Expand
  42. Mar 17, 2014
    Pros:
    Great story, about regret and guilt and overcoming obstacles.
    Amazing shooting mechanics, makes it top of it's class. Great protagonist. Presentation with cutscenes and how there aren't any loading screens are really well done. Intense shoot outs. Great missions, and a really good length of 12 hours. Difficulty settings are really well done. Bullet time, and shoot dodge are
    Pros:
    Great story, about regret and guilt and overcoming obstacles.
    Amazing shooting mechanics, makes it top of it's class.
    Great protagonist.
    Intense shoot outs.
    Great missions, and a really good length of 12 hours.
    Difficulty settings are really well done.
    Bullet time, and shoot dodge are just plain cool.
    Graphics are fantastic and really detailed environments.

Cons:
    Last mission could of been better. Threw way too much enemies at you, made it a bit unrealistic
  43. Nov 30, 2014
    The best feature about this game is bullet time, it's so awesome! This is a really good 3rd person shooter. It has a good story line and awesome slow-mo shooting scenes. The only bad thing about it are the cutscenes, some are unskippable and repetitive. But the game is really good and really addictive.
  44. Jan 19, 2016
    Just want to say I love this game. Thanks Rockstar for making such a gritty, real feeling shooter where the stakes are real from the difficulty, the graphics are exceptional, the gun-play brutal, stylish and just as it should be and the atmosphere never lets up. Replaying this in 2016 and having a superb time, when I'm having trouble keeping my attention on any of the new releases thisJust want to say I love this game. Thanks Rockstar for making such a gritty, real feeling shooter where the stakes are real from the difficulty, the graphics are exceptional, the gun-play brutal, stylish and just as it should be and the atmosphere never lets up. Replaying this in 2016 and having a superb time, when I'm having trouble keeping my attention on any of the new releases this grabs you and doesn't let go and gives you a hell of a good time. Expand
  45. Jan 21, 2017
    Solo las misiones de los capitulos de las favelas hacen que este juego se te quede en la retina para siempre. Magnifico juego d accion en tercera persona, de los mejores de su genero.
  46. May 21, 2018
    Un juego anticuado y lineal pero muy adictivo y con una muy buena historia. Seria genial no tener que matar a todos para pasar de pantalla, pero con eso dejaría de ser un Max Payne
  47. Feb 25, 2017
    Storytelling so i love, with non-chronological chapters. Addictive, wanted to finish the game as soon as possible. The only drawback of this game is a schematic, too much monotony and irrational number of people to kill. That why when i finish the game i felt relief. Shame because it was the only game that i finished a couple of years. Almost a masterpiece but a little lacking to achieveStorytelling so i love, with non-chronological chapters. Addictive, wanted to finish the game as soon as possible. The only drawback of this game is a schematic, too much monotony and irrational number of people to kill. That why when i finish the game i felt relief. Shame because it was the only game that i finished a couple of years. Almost a masterpiece but a little lacking to achieve this title. Expand
  48. May 17, 2012
    Solid gameplay and unquestionably impressive graphics. However, I do feel it's 'been there done that' terrain we've encountered one too many times before.
  49. May 23, 2012
    I have waited for this game for quite a while. The first two games were some of my best experiences I had when I owned the original xbox. This game was not what I had envisioned but I was more than satisfied even though there are a few things I did not like. Max Payne feels more real this time around his personality shines through. At the end you get to see an angry and determined MaxI have waited for this game for quite a while. The first two games were some of my best experiences I had when I owned the original xbox. This game was not what I had envisioned but I was more than satisfied even though there are a few things I did not like. Max Payne feels more real this time around his personality shines through. At the end you get to see an angry and determined Max hell bent on bringing the Payne. The gameplay isn't bad but there are a few small minor bugs/issues/bad ideas that frustrated me. Max can now take cover behind obstacles but it isn't a responsive or swift transgression when you're in a very intense fire fight and you want to move around as quickly as possible. There are moments after a cut scene when Max will switch to a one handed weapon instead of the two handed you were holding. That irritated the hell out of me. The presentation is top notch and is quite possibly one of the best in the history of the xbox 360. Story is told so well that it becomes highly memorable more so than recent 'blockbuster' games. It does get slow having to watch the cut scenes over and over again when all you want to do is shoot baddies. The loading times are also brutal. I don't see much of the old Max Payne series in this game so I would count this as a re-visioned Max Payne and not the one for the first two games. All in all it's a good single player experience and the multiplayer is average not something to really get excited about. "It's Payneee!!!!!" -Max Payne 2 Expand
  50. Nov 14, 2012
    Although, this game is in the style of Max Payne. It doesn't really have any connection to Max Payne 1 or 2. The atmosphere in Max Payne is top notch whether your firing at thugs in a club in mid air or or defending a fellow mercenary from sniper fire. The game feels extremely realistic and does have several creative missions. The problem is although they're are some creative bits. TheAlthough, this game is in the style of Max Payne. It doesn't really have any connection to Max Payne 1 or 2. The atmosphere in Max Payne is top notch whether your firing at thugs in a club in mid air or or defending a fellow mercenary from sniper fire. The game feels extremely realistic and does have several creative missions. The problem is although they're are some creative bits. The levels don't nearly match the creativity seen in Max Payne 1 where the levels weren't necessarily about the game-play but unraveling the deep narrative behind the plot with several innovative concepts strewn throughout the game. Max Payne 3 is mainly about pitted you in high pressure realistic scenarios full of noir and despair and watching you survive them realistically without out enough creative touches to keep it on par with the original. That being said this is in my opinion the most realistic shooting game ever made with an online mode just as frustrating. Expand
  51. Jun 8, 2012
    This is another proof that Western games are getting better and better in quality in comparison to their Japanese counterparts. Intuitive controls, great storyline, super graphics. Max Payne made you feel like you're in a 'John Woo' film.
  52. May 19, 2012
    Gripping action and awesome bullet time mechanics! Max Payne 3 is a lot of fun. Granted the story is not very long and you can plow through it in a day or so. But I plan on playing through it again and again because the action is damn fun! The game is fantastically cinematic and the story is pretty well written too even though Max's life takes turns for the worst repeatedly. I reallyGripping action and awesome bullet time mechanics! Max Payne 3 is a lot of fun. Granted the story is not very long and you can plow through it in a day or so. But I plan on playing through it again and again because the action is damn fun! The game is fantastically cinematic and the story is pretty well written too even though Max's life takes turns for the worst repeatedly. I really recommend you check this out and a side note, the multiplayer is pretty fun as well! Expand
  53. Jun 9, 2012
    I never played any of the other Max Payne games so i'm new to Max Payne and what a great game Max Payne 3 is. It has a fantastic story line in the whith has many twists and turns in it. The best script I have heard in a game I have heard in a long time. Just buy it. Max Payne 3 8.9/10
  54. May 23, 2012
    Ignore the rants of "bad shooting mechanics" . If you're not akin to or experienced in 3rd person shooters then more than likely it's not for you but if you've played and enjoyed the Uncharted frachise then you'll enjoy the gunplay and narratives of MP3. The graphics are stellar but Rockstar has just been on one this gen. Hollow-point slugs leave exit wounds and tear the flesh and the goreIgnore the rants of "bad shooting mechanics" . If you're not akin to or experienced in 3rd person shooters then more than likely it's not for you but if you've played and enjoyed the Uncharted frachise then you'll enjoy the gunplay and narratives of MP3. The graphics are stellar but Rockstar has just been on one this gen. Hollow-point slugs leave exit wounds and tear the flesh and the gore is awesome. Throughout the story you are constantly interrupted by cutscenes (which can get annoying) but these are needed to drive the plot in MP3 since all of the gameplay is strictly shoot 'em up. The AI is incredible. I've already noticed a few minor glitches but other than that enemies rarely die the same way twice. If you remain in cover while enemies have you pinned w/ cover fire, other soldiers will rush you and flush you out and if you don't progress while enemies are taking cover they'll wait you out and let you make the 1st move. This game is relentlessly difficult even for an avid gamer like me. Constant vigilance is required both in story and multi as enemies can be ridiculously accurate if they get the drop on you. Multiplayer is perfect for anyone who is just into the gameplay. Most mechanics and abilities of Max are translated well into the multiplayer world. Screwing enemy players over w/ a bullettime back-attack never gets old. It's so funny watching them try to turn around in time to shoot back. Altogether Max Payne 3 is a "rental-first" kind of game as it's not for everybody but if you haven't given it a chance, go rent the 1st disc at redbox or something because it's worth a try (*note: If you do happen to rent from redbox, the 1st disc is the only one available. Buddy of mine found out the hard way) Expand
  55. Jun 2, 2012
    I thought the game looked pretty and played pretty great in the single player campaign, but I wasn't all that impressed by the multiplayer. It may just be a personal preference for me though as I am not really a fan of third person multiplayer (I didn't really take away points for this because, as I said, it's more of a personal preference and not something bad about the game).

I

I thoroughly enjoyed the single player player campaign. The cutscene load screens progressing the story I found to be nice at first, but after a few chapters I didn't really seems to care all that much anymore. The story wasn't really anything new. The issue came when you can't skip them. I know they are load screens, but if you are in your second or third play through, or even just skipping around missions looking to get achievements I found being forced to watch them for a period of time to be very annoying. The bullet time was rather fun and although the game can be very graphic at times, the game is rated M for a reason. I thought it added to the atmosphere of the game rather than hurting it.
  56. Jun 28, 2012
    As is the norm with Rockstar, the character animations and environments look immaculate. The main problem I have with this game is the utterly formulaic layout of each level of the game. You'll spend hours shooting a wave of enemies from cover, then advancing, with almost no deviation from this pattern. This is to be expected from this genre, however. The one thing that saves this game isAs is the norm with Rockstar, the character animations and environments look immaculate. The main problem I have with this game is the utterly formulaic layout of each level of the game. You'll spend hours shooting a wave of enemies from cover, then advancing, with almost no deviation from this pattern. This is to be expected from this genre, however. The one thing that saves this game is how fun the gunplay and combat is. Bullet wounds look great, and Max will slowly get sweatier and dirtier as you progress through each fight. Every bullet is in real time - there are actual projectiles flying through the air, which is something that was required for the slow-motion combat. Speaking of which, the slow-motion combat looks great, and is tied in perfectly with the rest of the fighting. Again, the game is hindered only by the repetition of these fights. I have to give props to Rockstar for not including regenerating health, you must replenish your health with painkillers like in the previous games. This made the fighting intense and challenging, even on a normal difficulty. Painkillers are placed throughout a level in a manner that will make you aware that you're in danger of running out if you're hit too much. The multiplayer is mainly a lone wolf kind of deal, but you're able to use powerups in the middle of combat to help your whole team. All in all, multiplayer is quite entertaining, but there wasn't enough to keep me interested for long. All voice acting is pretty solid, though the story itself suffers from a lack of connection with the characters. Max's Noir-esque voice overs are done rather well. The only annoyance I got from these was the fact that he'll try to "help" the player progress if they're sitting around in a certain part of the level. For instance, I'd be checking out some of the details of a room when he'd say something like "I needed to move, it wasn't the time to be second guessing myself. I saw that the security door had opened" which caused some eye rolling. The cutscenes are well executed and fairly engaging. All in all, a fairly solid title. If you're a fan of shooting and explosions, you'll probably like this. It's decently challenging and good-looking, to boot. If you're looking for something with a little more depth, I'd pass this one over. Expand
  57. Dec 25, 2012
    MAX PAYNE 3 is the best game in the franchise. The first MAX PAYNE just looked like THE MATRIX and the second was a bit better. MAX PAYNE 3 has great graphics, great voice acting, campaign and its one of the best games of 2012.
  58. Aug 5, 2012
    Rockstar manages to deliver a high quality shooter. The third installment to the series boasts stunning visuals and physics, a lengthy and story-driven singleplayer campaign, as well as a competent multiplayer component. Max Payne 3 is by no means perfect, for instance by featuring a wee bit many cutscenes, but it's still a very enjoyable game.
  59. Sep 2, 2012
    a very good game but it has a grim and depressing story some times upsetting but is very good!
    multiplayer is the best PVP games i have been in killing other player is so much better this game wipes the floor with Call Of Duty
  60. Mar 1, 2014
    Definitely not one of the most original games out there, but still the same essential gameplay that makes Max Payne enjoyable to play. Definitely worth rental, as there isn't a ton of replay value. Overall, a very fun, if somewhat short and straightforward experience that shouldn't disappoint fans of both Max Payne titles, and shooters in general.
  61. Oct 18, 2012
    Max Payne 3 isn't an open world game like most of rockstar's games, nether the less it is a solid experience. The story had me hooked from the beginning and Brazil is a beautiful location. You play as a bodyguard for Rodrigo Branco, but after things go wrong you end up shooting your way out of most situations. The graphics are gorgeous, the gameplay is tight and the shootdodge mechanic isMax Payne 3 isn't an open world game like most of rockstar's games, nether the less it is a solid experience. The story had me hooked from the beginning and Brazil is a beautiful location. You play as a bodyguard for Rodrigo Branco, but after things go wrong you end up shooting your way out of most situations. The graphics are gorgeous, the gameplay is tight and the shootdodge mechanic is so rewarding. If you don't like overly long cut scenes then i would probably steer clear of this game as there are a lot of them, otherwise i would recommend this game. Expand
  62. Oct 16, 2012
    It is clear that Max Payne 3 has been used "the latest technology, innovative design, large mechanical and absorbing narrative and people to redefine the third-person shooters", do not think they redefined anything, but have become one of shooting games I've played most powerful in the entire generation.
  63. May 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Despite some minor issues (and a couple that aren't so minor), Max Payne 3 still manages to be a first-class third-person shooter and is thus one of the better games of the year. More importantly, it's a welcome return for one of the shooter genre's better series. The years may not have been kind of Max, but it seems he hasn't missed a beat. Expand
  64. Nov 25, 2013
    The campaign is nice, the multiplayer is good but don´t have a thing that makes you with a need to play it. It´s another good work from rockstar but for me it can be better and for me the grade of this game is 8
  65. Aug 16, 2013
    [8.0] It definitely isn't Rockstar's best, but Max Payne 3 is impressive in many ways. It exceeds in both action and graphics, which makes up for the linear gameplay. Although it isn't quite as engaging as Grand Theft Auto, or Red Dead, Max Payne 3 is a great title for people who are waiting for GTA V.
  66. lox
    May 19, 2014
    Surprisingly the first Max Payne game I've ver played, and I really really liked it. My only real gripe is the cutscenes were a little too long at times. But as a whole Max Payne 3 is gritty, immersive fun with great voice acting, a movie-like story and insanely fun multiplayer.
  67. Jul 16, 2013
    What a game!! maybe the coolest game I ever played. The bullet time is so badass!! I also liked that the gameplay was quite challenging my first playthrough was on hard and I died and died, so many times. I am not a fan of the story or the endless cut-scenes, but the gameplay was too satisfying to keep me playing. I could give this game a higher score if Max can shut his mouth once in aWhat a game!! maybe the coolest game I ever played. The bullet time is so badass!! I also liked that the gameplay was quite challenging my first playthrough was on hard and I died and died, so many times. I am not a fan of the story or the endless cut-scenes, but the gameplay was too satisfying to keep me playing. I could give this game a higher score if Max can shut his mouth once in a while....he is talkish!! Anyway, I still love this game! Expand
  68. Mar 27, 2014
    Max payne 3 is another great rockstar game, i love this game, is absolutely fantastic it actions scene, its really outstanding it violence, great game that must be played.
  69. Nov 14, 2013
    Graphics: Realistic graphics, sometimes the shadows make it look ugly, but the character models look great too. 9.5.
    Sound: Decent soundtrack (I wasn’t into the music near the end, didn’t feel that was the right band like Rockstar claimed back on GTTV). The themes were excellent, the voice acting was great. 9.
    Gameplay: The game is more realistic than previous Max Payne titles, but
    Gameplay: The game is more realistic than previous Max Payne titles, but I did still get the feeling that it was a Max Payne game. Bullet time is great, all the guns are fine, the aiming is challenging but in a good way. The only complaint is the constant switching of shoulders, but I think there’s an option to turn that off. Challenging game good, gametrailers-reviewers noobs. Euphoria engine looks at its best. The multiplayer I found unbalance, unrealistic, and just not my type of shooter. 9.
    Story: The story plays out at a slow pace, it keeps you interested for a while, but near the end it’s not as interesting. I enjoyed playing the past sequences more than the present day because I felt the present day ones were going nowhere in terms of Max’s story. Max is in a field where he doesn’t belong, and even though it is hinted, this didn’t make it any more interesting. The switch from comic scenes to in game cut scene was fine, I enjoyed it. The inner thoughts of Max Payne are brilliant, who doesn’t have their brain always talking to them? 8.5.
    Lasting Appeal: The game is a must play at least once, there are achievements and a multiplayer for those interested. Personally, I would recommend this game a rent for those wanting a single player only experience. The game took about 8-10 hours on hard for me to complete. 8.
    Overall Score: 8.8 out of 10.
  70. Jan 27, 2014
    The story was cool the gameplay was awesome and the cinematic cut-scenes were cool. Playing this game is like being part of a movie. Max payne's voice as usual is cheesy and too deep. I'm not a huge story mode player but this game keeps you interested. The graphics are typical for rockstar and work out alright. The bullet-time mode is a nice touch and has improved some since 1 and 2. I'mThe story was cool the gameplay was awesome and the cinematic cut-scenes were cool. Playing this game is like being part of a movie. Max payne's voice as usual is cheesy and too deep. I'm not a huge story mode player but this game keeps you interested. The graphics are typical for rockstar and work out alright. The bullet-time mode is a nice touch and has improved some since 1 and 2. I'm all about multiplayer mode and this game didn't disappoint. Flat 8. Expand
  71. May 22, 2014
    Now Max Payne 3, while a little bit different to the others in the series, still retains the same premise and gameplay of the first two, albeit in my opinion at a slower pace. This Iteration is much more realistic in how it works, with 2-4 shots being able to take you down and that you also can't carry an armoury's worth of weapons with you. Instead your allowed to carry up to threeNow Max Payne 3, while a little bit different to the others in the series, still retains the same premise and gameplay of the first two, albeit in my opinion at a slower pace. This Iteration is much more realistic in how it works, with 2-4 shots being able to take you down and that you also can't carry an armoury's worth of weapons with you. Instead your allowed to carry up to three weapons simultaneously, two one handed e.g. pistols, and one, two-handed weapon, such as a shotgun. even then, if you decide to star dual wielding like some Neo wannabe, you'll have to drop your two-handed weapon on the spot. Now alot of people will say this is a stupid idea to put into a game, especially a Max Payne game, but it does make the game more challenging when you don't have every gun under the sun in your back pocket. Now bullet time, Pain-killers and shoot-dodging returns, and they pretty much work the same as in the last games. You'll be relying on them alot later on in the game as the difficulty becomes quite high even when playing on the normal difficulty setting, as you'll be faced with 20+ enemies at once, which is a lot to deal with. A new addition to the franchise is the fact you can now lay on the ground a spin the full 360 degrees to take some goons while lying down, after you've performed a shoot-dodge. You will also not immediately die if you happen to be carrying some painkillers when you run out of health. Instead you'll go straight into a slo- mo, bullet-time last stand type of deal, in which you have a couple of seconds to take out the guy that took you down. Doing so will save you, and you'll be able to get back up and carry on the fight.

Now the game looks pretty damn good aswell, the graphics are really high quality, not crysis super computer quality, but it's a very good looking game, especially on console. there are some things that your eyes wont agree with though. What I'm mainly talking about is the overused, in-your-face filters that try to make the game look like an old VHS tape. they do get on your nerves a little bit, as they only really kick-in every now and again. Now what will annoy most people is the over-abundance of cut-scenes that appear every time you finish off a gunfight. Some of them are also long-ass MGS worthy ones that you cant skip until the game has loaded, as the cut-scenes act as loading screens when playing the story. Also, when taking out the last enemy in a gunfight, you'll be treated to a slo-mo death cam of said goon, where you can keep pumping bullets into him, until he's turned into human swiss cheese, these are pretty brutal, and a greatly improved by the Euphoria physics engine that Rockstar used which creates a different reaction every time.

The story mode is the heart of the game, with the story being quite a good one. It's well written, and has a few twists and turns, although it's maybe not as good as Red Dead Redemptions story (Great game by the way, go play it!) I thought it was great. There are also a couple of other modes to the game, such as the arcade mode and New York Minute, time trial mode, and for the first time multi-player is included. The first two modes I mentioned are basically there to test your skill and reflexes, and also give you the chance to unlock multi-player characters and cheats for single-player.

Now Multiplayer in Max Payne 3 is a mixed bag. sometimes it can be really enjoyable, sometimes it can be really infuriating. Now you might think the infuriating games are just that your not playing very well, but in my opinion the game is un-balanced. When the game first came out, it was pretty balanced, there was nothing outstandingly overpowered, but due to DLC being released the game has changed dramatically, usually you see everyone running around in the very protective bomb suits, dual-wielding pistols. You'll soon find out this is probably the best combination in the game to go with, and it makes nearly every other weapon a waste of time. Now there are only a couple of modes that come with the game, Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, and gang wars. Gang wars is the stand out mode, where each match consists of five rounds that follow a storyline. You could be planting or defusing bombs one round, and then trying to assassinate of defend a VIP the next. It helps keep the gameplay varied. They have added a few other modes through DLC, including a co-op, horde mode style game, and another where your chased down by a goblin with a wooden leg and a taser (seriously, I'm not joking). There Is the, now-standard mult-player games weapon load-out and customisation menu, that you see in nearly every game now-a-days, but There's a weight system to keep it a bit fresh, and make you think about what you take into battle. The heavier you are, the slower your stamina and health regenerate. There's also Bursts, that act the same as kill streak rewards and character customisation aswell.

Overall it's a good game, but It's not everyone's cup of tea.
  72. Jun 17, 2014
    Entertaining story about a great, non-gregarious, **** brooding, pill-popping, functioning alcoholic, quasi-man's man dude killing people (morally). You don't have to spend hours learning how the play, you can just step right into the action and enjoy the thrill.
  73. Feb 19, 2015
    Easily one of the best, gritty and cinematic stories I've ever played. All of the previous mechanisms that made the series great are back and perfected to make the experience like none other. The game looks perfect, the story is never boring and keeps you wanting to play. This game would be getting a perfect rating if it wasn't for a few small things like the clunky multiplayer mode,Easily one of the best, gritty and cinematic stories I've ever played. All of the previous mechanisms that made the series great are back and perfected to make the experience like none other. The game looks perfect, the story is never boring and keeps you wanting to play. This game would be getting a perfect rating if it wasn't for a few small things like the clunky multiplayer mode, the longer than usual load times and the over the top difficulty at time. This is easily a game that I keep coming back to after many years. Expand
  74. May 26, 2012
    With gripping action, top-notch animations, and a brand new setting, Rockstar delivers a re-envisioned Max Payne. The graphics do not set any industry standards, but they hold up quite well - although the combat animations are quite groundbreaking. Unfortunately I happened to encounter some glitches where the textures failed to load, and the sound disappeared, though compared to earlierWith gripping action, top-notch animations, and a brand new setting, Rockstar delivers a re-envisioned Max Payne. The graphics do not set any industry standards, but they hold up quite well - although the combat animations are quite groundbreaking. Unfortunately I happened to encounter some glitches where the textures failed to load, and the sound disappeared, though compared to earlier Rockstar titles it wasn't that bad. It could also get frustrating at times with scarce checkpoints far in-between and having the weapon reset after cutscenes - this could be related to the transitions from cutscenes to gameplay though. The developers try to make combat easier when the player is struggling by handing out painkillers and ammo after a certain amount of deaths, though if you happen to enter a cutscene without it, you might find yourself purposely attempting suicide only to take advantage of this - which is not very intuitive. The last stand element where you are given the option of using a painkiller if killing the enemy who shot you is quite handy, but if there's an obstacle in your way or you're out of ammo, it becomes quite tedious as it only leaves you having to watch your inevitable death in slow-motion. The clues and things you find along the way don't really add much to the story, but can be quite enjoyable and a nice touch for players who like to explore. Rockstar is definitely one of the few developers who could take on a plot like Max Payne with such amibitiousness. And although it's not very realistic, they are able to involve you in the story with great use of narration and action-driven editing, as you enter on a mind bending journey likely to stick with you after it ends. Expand
  75. Sep 3, 2012
    Solid. If you like good graphics and blur effects plus the classical storytelling from Max Payne, you are in. Bullet Time is a nice extra, once you feel comfortable with the sometimes clunky controls. I enjoyed the replay by constantly using the Bullet Time which makes the whole game a kind of LSD trip.
  76. May 26, 2012
    For all the excitement and delays around the next Max Payne, it wasn't worth it 100%. This game reminds me of a little like Uncharted 3 with its area to area combat sequences. First off let me start with the negative. Slow motion gun fight has its moments but lacks memorable takes like the original. The easter eggs in this game doesn't appeal to me. I really don't care finding golden gunsFor all the excitement and delays around the next Max Payne, it wasn't worth it 100%. This game reminds me of a little like Uncharted 3 with its area to area combat sequences. First off let me start with the negative. Slow motion gun fight has its moments but lacks memorable takes like the original. The easter eggs in this game doesn't appeal to me. I really don't care finding golden guns while my head is being shot at. I don't think it belongs in this genre of game. And like Uncharted the cover system is suspect. More ammo would have made this game more fun to play with less stress and a better thought out story. Seems to me Mr Payne is running low on confidence in the world and that's hard to play. Anyways it ain't all bad. Being Max again takes me back. Bad A.. and ready to fire on sight. With nothing to loose Max again gets himself into trouble. Controls are simple to use and of course slow mo gun fights are still a cool concept especially the new slow mo finishers. As mentioned earlier there is easter eggs for you to find if you like that sort of thing. Seems a bit hard for me at times even on easy difficulty setting. There are multiple difficulties to choose from to test your patients. And dual held weapons are always cool to use. To keep it short, most people love this run and duck sort of game which draws good reviews. On the other hand I speak for the minority and say that it's not all that it wraps up to be. If you have a PC right now, why not try Diablo 3 first if you have only money for one game at the moment. Expand
  77. May 29, 2012
    An interesting approach on the whole. A step forward in many regards--all the post-effects on the gameplay, the immersive storytelling and all the back-loading keep the player involved in the story with no load times--but a very linear experience that doesn't allow the player much leeway in the traditional "game" sense. It's fully designed to be an interactive story--one that's alreadyAn interesting approach on the whole. A step forward in many regards--all the post-effects on the gameplay, the immersive storytelling and all the back-loading keep the player involved in the story with no load times--but a very linear experience that doesn't allow the player much leeway in the traditional "game" sense. It's fully designed to be an interactive story--one that's already told and already decided, but you get to interact with the "cool" parts. Interesting stuff. Expand
  78. Jan 1, 2013
    The game was dark and gritty like a constant gnashing of teeth, which you'll inevitably be doing, having to replay certain parts. The mechanics certainly aren't as fine tuned as you would expect from a triple A title, but they don't completely turn you off either. I enjoyed the tone and narrative that kept you engrossed in the story and overall experience. Max Payne 3 is definitely worth aThe game was dark and gritty like a constant gnashing of teeth, which you'll inevitably be doing, having to replay certain parts. The mechanics certainly aren't as fine tuned as you would expect from a triple A title, but they don't completely turn you off either. I enjoyed the tone and narrative that kept you engrossed in the story and overall experience. Max Payne 3 is definitely worth a rental, I'm not however convinced this is worth a purchase. Expand
  79. May 17, 2012
    First, let's address the obvious. Remedy did not develop this game. It definitely doesn't look much like the Max Payne we all know and love from the past. This doesn't necessarily make it bad, but it is different. You pretty much can get the idea if you're going to like the new look from all the media floating around. I personally prefer the grittier looks of the past games, but thisFirst, let's address the obvious. Remedy did not develop this game. It definitely doesn't look much like the Max Payne we all know and love from the past. This doesn't necessarily make it bad, but it is different. You pretty much can get the idea if you're going to like the new look from all the media floating around. I personally prefer the grittier looks of the past games, but this is merely a matter of opinion. That being said, let's get down to the real business. Perhaps I am spoiled by the fluidity of most modern console games, but I found that Max Payne 3 seems to have a huge problem with framerate. For a game that relies so heavily on pinpoint precision when not using the godlike auto-aiming abilities, it can be hard when you're running approx 15fps or less. The tiny dot reticle can easily be lost in all the flying debris and the occasional Rockstar wonkiness of close-quarters encounters hinders the fun as well. When not experiencing aiming issues when trying to do it without assist, there are several times that while using autoaim, I found that I didn't even need to use the sticks. Just press the left trigger to acquire target, right trigger to fire. Repeat. So long as you are pointed in the cardinal direction of an enemy, you'll land a hit. That's a little too forgiving. All that aside, the sound and voice acting is top-notch, and the environments are very immersive. Unfortunately the pushy urgency of the game forces you into the next setpiece, rarely affording you the opportunity to explore the finer details that an artist toiled over. The cover system usually works well, only a couple places does it fail (doorways seem to be hit and miss). The character animations are fantastic and I think sit securely at the top of the heap. Kudos to the mo-cap actors and the artists. The bullet-time effects occasionally take you back to the good-ol' days of Max Payne and the Matrix, but it mostly comes off as a little tired. I only used it when it forced me to, or in a last ditch situation. Overall I think despite it's beauty, story and sound, I'm really not having that good of time playing it. Dare I say it is like Kane & Lynch, except the previous ran at 60fps on console. Maybe another month in the optimization oven would have vastly improved the game, but with the ability to update and patch games these days, perhaps R* will be able to address these issues. My recommendation would be "don't pay full price". I'd pay $40 for it without regrets, but I can't say I'm pleased have paid full-price. Expand
  80. Jun 15, 2012
    I have seen some funny reviews on here, totally irrelevant to the game. Rockstar going down hill ? Saint's Row being better then GTA ? Ugh, who are these people ?

Good game, Greatly developed story (note not great story), fun and action-packed. It's worth definitely it's current score around a 7.5. Entertaining and worth being played, I can understand a mixed review but a negative one ? Great graphics, good story, a game that makes sense with huge budget made by renown game makers, how can that be a negative ? I agree with a post I read about Max being just a bit to whiny and that his character could have evolved but I guess the person developing him when straight from the movie instead of the games, I personally thought the time frame for slow motion was too long in the first two games.
  81. May 31, 2012
    Even though the anticipation for this game will never live up to the actual product, I enjoyed playing Max Payne 3. What I did not enjoy was the length of the checkpoints. Talk about a game of headaches. If anything it is my own fault because I played on Free Aim, which makes things a lot more difficult, but if you want the achievements/trophies, you better turn it on Free Aim. MultiplayerEven though the anticipation for this game will never live up to the actual product, I enjoyed playing Max Payne 3. What I did not enjoy was the length of the checkpoints. Talk about a game of headaches. If anything it is my own fault because I played on Free Aim, which makes things a lot more difficult, but if you want the achievements/trophies, you better turn it on Free Aim. Multiplayer was chaotic, not as cinematic and glorious as advertised. A fun game, worth playing, great dialogue and action which is expected from Max, but wish the game had more of a RDR multiplayer. Listen to the full audio review on the podcast; http://liquidgamer.podbean.com/ Expand
  82. May 20, 2012
    Max Payne is a title most have not heard in conversation for a long time. Max Payne 2 was released in 2003 and a sequel has been long sought after ever since.

Max Payne 3 is the first in the franchise to not include the original developer Remedy Entertainment and instead, is fully developed in-house at Rockstar Games. Usually this type of shift is an unfortunate end for most series but Rockstar has a long history of making solid titles.

Max Payne 3 takes place eight years after the second game and trades the dreary New York City locations for the upbeat tempo of Sao Paulo, Brazil. No longer an NYPD detective, Max is hired by Rodrigo Branco, a wealthy man with a lot of enemies. Read: a lot, it getâ
  83. Jun 15, 2012
    Underwhelming. Great score, voice acting, nice graphics and fantastic animations but on the other hand... annoying ai, bad level design, mediocre multiplayer, unremarkable story and gameplay sometimes becomes just frustrating and not very fun.
  84. Feb 17, 2013
    It had been quite a while since I had played a shooter, so I thought I would pick one up. I decided to go for Max Payne 3 as I had been a fan of the first two games and it was currently on special offer. I was not sure what to expect from this installation, but I was glad to see that it largely lived up to it's predecessors. Just like in the first two games, Max is a fun character to playIt had been quite a while since I had played a shooter, so I thought I would pick one up. I decided to go for Max Payne 3 as I had been a fan of the first two games and it was currently on special offer. I was not sure what to expect from this installation, but I was glad to see that it largely lived up to it's predecessors. Just like in the first two games, Max is a fun character to play as cynical, jaded and with awful luck (and now with a serious drink/pills problem). Many bemoaned to move away from the film noir, graphic novel aspect of the first two, but it felt right to leave that behind in my opinion, as the game's setting would not suit that feel. For those who like their games at the cutting age technology-wise, maybe this is not for you the graphics are average and there are some technical issues at times. For the rest of us who are simply looking for a fun way so spend a few hours, you could do a lot worse than picking up Max Payne 3 and blowing away a few thousand terrorists, crooked cops and drug dealers. Expand
  85. Aug 10, 2012
    This is a very competent third person shooter with good slow motion and bullet time effects but the occasionally the story detracts from game play as cut-scenes can be to long and cannot be skipped.
  86. Aug 19, 2012
    Rockstar did a great job with the franchise, everything works perfect and the game is fun to play. It is not, however, a good MAX PAYNE, and because of that I couldn't love it as much as I wanted to.
  87. Nov 1, 2012
    In terms of general production values the game is great - visuals and gameplay are both tight and the dialogue works quite well too. The main problem with the game (to me) is that the main character is someone who doesn't care about life and whose job it is to protect people so obnoxious that I don't care if they die, making the first hours a bit tedious. But lacking initiative to keepIn terms of general production values the game is great - visuals and gameplay are both tight and the dialogue works quite well too. The main problem with the game (to me) is that the main character is someone who doesn't care about life and whose job it is to protect people so obnoxious that I don't care if they die, making the first hours a bit tedious. But lacking initiative to keep playing based on story, it's still a tight action game for anyone who likes cover shooters and bullet time. Expand
  88. Mar 14, 2013
    So Max is back to deal out more death and violence while pumping painkillers and booze. But is it any good? Well, yes! As a matter of fact it's rather excellent and a very satisfying 3rd person shooter, which does justice to the Max Payne franchise. But that being said, I did have a few problems with it. First of all there's the constantly shaking camera and the lens flare, which sometimesSo Max is back to deal out more death and violence while pumping painkillers and booze. But is it any good? Well, yes! As a matter of fact it's rather excellent and a very satisfying 3rd person shooter, which does justice to the Max Payne franchise. But that being said, I did have a few problems with it. First of all there's the constantly shaking camera and the lens flare, which sometimes made me feel like Michael Bay and J. J. Abrams had decided to make a game together. Sorry, but I'm not a fan. When used to this extent it looses it's dramatic effect and feels more like a 4-year old jumping up and down flailing his arms while screaming, "Look at me, look at me, look at me, look at me!" It got so bad I actually had to stop playing at times, fearing a seizure.
    The second thing is the huge amount of cut scenes. Though they are very well made and does a good job of telling the story, they simply interrupt the action way too often. Just as a good firefight is going on and I was all psyched up BANG! another 3-5 minutes cut scene ripped me out of the game. It got to a stage where I literally shouted, "NO!" when it happened because it became detrimental to the gaming experience.
    But all said and done, Max Payne 3 is an excellent 3rd person shooter which is definitely worth a look, but be prepared for some really annoying interruptions.
  89. Jun 30, 2013
    A decent game, action-wise, however, I never cared for any of the plot lines of any of the Max Payne games and this game is no exception. But I didn't play this for the story line, rather for the action, which is good but is extremely repetitive. By the end of the game, I couldn't wait for it to be over. Multiplayer was mediocre but not bad. A solid buy at it's current price point ofA decent game, action-wise, however, I never cared for any of the plot lines of any of the Max Payne games and this game is no exception. But I didn't play this for the story line, rather for the action, which is good but is extremely repetitive. By the end of the game, I couldn't wait for it to be over. Multiplayer was mediocre but not bad. A solid buy at it's current price point of under $20 but I feel bad for people who bought this new for $60. Expand
  90. Jul 10, 2013
    I was very angry about this game it was so impressive and fun,but there was a bad bug that made me start the storyline all over again all dang over again... and after that happened i'm like screw this.It was a very good game besides that bug.
  91. Oct 13, 2013
    Max Payne 3 is actually a good game. Gameplay is fantastic, unique and addictive. The story can make you see the pain of Max, for sure, but I didn't like it a lot, cause it's a simple story, that you will forget in about two days. I played the game too long and beat it three times (10 hours playthrough). Now, I'm going for hardcore mode, because gameplay is beautiful. Actually the gameplayMax Payne 3 is actually a good game. Gameplay is fantastic, unique and addictive. The story can make you see the pain of Max, for sure, but I didn't like it a lot, cause it's a simple story, that you will forget in about two days. I played the game too long and beat it three times (10 hours playthrough). Now, I'm going for hardcore mode, because gameplay is beautiful. Actually the gameplay saves this game and make it worth-buying, but story is frustrating for me, because it presents the legendary Max being a boozing bodyguard and involved in things, that don't concern a legend like him. After all, if you're a fan and liked the past two games, get thin one, cause you owe it to yourself. Otherwise, play the past two games and see after that if you want this one. Expand
  92. Aug 17, 2014
    You'er Max Payne, an ex-cop hired to be bodyguard to a rich family in Brazil. It's supposed to be a vacation for you, but it turns out to be everything but. Shoot your way through carnage and mayhem, trying to solve a puzzle you never suspected. Kill hundreds of bad guys in slow motion, and with an assortment of weapons.

Lots of fun, however, can be frustrating at times. Sometimes the

Lots of fun, however, can be frustrating at times. Sometimes the game gets repetitive, and then there are flaws in the combat system, and other errors that stop you from having a good, gun blasting time. All in all though still a good game. At least worth a rent. The story is very well done.

You get two discs of Max Payne 3.
  93. May 21, 2012
    I loved the old max payne games, however this one was a disappointment. Though there is nothing technically wrong with it. It felt repetitive, and I felt like I had to force myself to finish it. The story is good, however the shooting/action is just the same bullet dodge/slow time, hide in cover, pop out rinse repeat. The online was also a distraction, at first it was a lot of fun, butI loved the old max payne games, however this one was a disappointment. Though there is nothing technically wrong with it. It felt repetitive, and I felt like I had to force myself to finish it. The story is good, however the shooting/action is just the same bullet dodge/slow time, hide in cover, pop out rinse repeat. The online was also a distraction, at first it was a lot of fun, but after a few hours it begins to feel stale as well. A fun little distraction for a few days, but ultimately lacks the depth needed to be a mainstay. However I didn't know why I was expecting anything different, Rockstar stayed true to the original games, and the gaming landscape has changed since then. A good story can't carry mediocre gameplay, and online is just a tacked on side note. Disappointment. Expand
  94. Feb 26, 2013
    Whilst playing Max Payne 3 my opinion on the game changed almost minute to minute. One second I would find myself enjoying the action packed, if rather one note, gameplay the next I would be closing to turning off the game through pure frustration.

Anyone that has played any of the previous titles in the series won’t really find any gameplay surprises here and the bullet-time mechanic, while no longer as original as it was when the first game was released over a decade ago, can certainly still be great fun when you are able to get things right. The gunplay is also pretty solid but questionable design choices often make it seem as though the game is going out of its way to prevent the player enjoying themselves. Every so often the player will be handed back control following a cut scene to find themselves under heavy fire, if you don’t get your bearings quick enough you’re dead. A number of other sections will also see you killed pretty quickly if you go in all guns blazing leading to a frustrating amount of trial and error. On these occasions the game can become a generic, and rather average, cover based shooter forcing the player to pick of enemies one at a time. Try to imagine a slightly inferior imitation of Modern Warfare 2’s campaign (including the favela) and you’re not far off. Vest wearing bad guys that seem to be able to take three or four bullets to the chest and yet still continue to fire back at you only add further to the frustration. Having to repeat a section because you are killed by an enemy you assumed was already dead is not fun. Another of the games problems is that the gameplay doesn’t evolve at all from start to finish. I wasn’t expecting the freedom of an open world game but some choice in how to tackle certain missions would have been nice. Why could the bullet time mechanic not be used to help keep the player unnoticed by enemies for example?

In terms of its characters and storyline this third outing is certainly aiming for a more serious tone. To be perfectly honest however this is another aspect of the game that doesn’t really work. Many of the cut-scenes are longer than necessary and simply end up intruding on the gameplay. Listening to Mr Payne spout increasing forced ‘film noir’ type metaphors is almost laughable on occasions and by the end of the game I wasn’t really paying much attention to what was going on.

Thanks to some fantastically cinematic set pieces there is plenty of enjoyment to be had here but if this series is to attract me back for any sequels the developers need to get back to the drawing board and offer a bit more variety next time around.
  95. May 19, 2012
    So often regarded as the gold standard of games developers, RockStar seems to be on a bit of a dip in recent years.
    GTA and Red Dead were stunning games, then along came L.A. Bore. It was terrible, but I forgave them and looked forward to Max Payne 3.
    But I'm disappointed again. Just like L.A. Noire, it's a demonstration of style over substance. It looks and sounds great, but it's so linear it might as well be an on-rails shooter. Those are the moments that you actually get to PLAY the game, cos the majority of your time will be spent watching cut scenes. There were parts during these interludes where I was thinking: Hey! I could be in control of that bit!
    The controls are clunky. When you are in control, it doesn't quite feel like you are. It's somewhat disengaged.
    This is my opinion after reaching the end of "Chapter 4", so I suppose there is time for redemption.
    Quickly played team death match...uninspiring run and gun festival of repetition.

Please RockStar, lift your game for GTA5. I need that to be great.
  96. Xon
    Jul 10, 2012
    MULTIPLAYER MAX PAYNE IN THE ASS

The single player rocks. Perhaps it is because I live in Brazil that i can tell you visually and story-wise the game hits the nail on the head like I have never seen before in a game. I give the single player campaign 9/10. The single player is short but impressive so I bought the season pass. Man, do I rue the day i did that. First of all it is super
    MULTIPLAYER MAX PAYNE IN THE ASS

The single player is short but impressive so I bought the season pass. Man, do I rue the day i did that. First of all it is super difficult for me to get into a game. I can play any game online, Diablo 3, Syndicate, BF3...you name it. With MP3 I spend half the time trying to connect but failing due to "connection errors" and "failed synchronization". Also, I only started to enjoy the game after reaching level 10. Started. I haven't yet had a fun game.

At this moment I am still unable to enjoy the multiplayer. I have written R* about my connection issues who have not responded.

I am a hard working father with precious, little free-time. When I sit down with an hour to indulge I definitely do not choose MP3 multiplayer since it will be only frustrating.

What a shame.
  97. May 22, 2012
    I think this game is highly overrated by professionals. By the score of >9 one would think this is an instant classice but it isnt't, it;s average and gets boring in the end. I am fond of Rockstar games I liked Red Dead Redemption a lot and also LA Noire, but this game has little development during the 14 chapters. Gameplay in chapters 1 and 14 dont differ. Story is really interesting andI think this game is highly overrated by professionals. By the score of >9 one would think this is an instant classice but it isnt't, it;s average and gets boring in the end. I am fond of Rockstar games I liked Red Dead Redemption a lot and also LA Noire, but this game has little development during the 14 chapters. Gameplay in chapters 1 and 14 dont differ. Story is really interesting and the first chapters are great to play but then it gets bored and some items which are nice in the first chapter gets really irritating. Like there is the overacted stupid boring voice of Max. Its just over the top American. One liners heard to often in games in the 80's and 90's. Then there are those words coming on the screen. They add nothing. First it looks cool but after 2 chapters they get boring and they add nothing to the story or experience. This game screams it wants to be cool and many people will fall for it, I also did the first chapters, but it fails deeply. Voice-acting is just really bad. Many reviewers are just blind by the trademark Rockstar I think. It must be the explanation for the high ratings. Its just 13 in a dozen game. Expand
  98. May 15, 2012
    The game story is impressive the graphics beautiful and brings the expected level in 2012.
    I think the gameplay and controlls are very hard even on easy with free aim combo. (if you use hard lock the game become meaningless) Variety levels are fun although linear like a corridor with minimum freedom. The game atmosphere good but not like maxpayne 1 & 2.
    Authentic characters in very long
    Authentic characters in very long and boring cutscenes......
  99. May 16, 2012
    Well, I am coming from the standpoint of loving the last two Max Payne games. I had high expectations for this one. Max Payne has style, sure, and it has decent graphics. It even has fantastic voice acting and amazing sound design. However, the most important part is what failed for me. The gun play is..I'll say it....atrocious. Its not sensitive enough at the start, and by the timeWell, I am coming from the standpoint of loving the last two Max Payne games. I had high expectations for this one. Max Payne has style, sure, and it has decent graphics. It even has fantastic voice acting and amazing sound design. However, the most important part is what failed for me. The gun play is..I'll say it....atrocious. Its not sensitive enough at the start, and by the time you've got the cursor going, it's swinging wildly in over aim. It's not lack of skill either, I have no problem with Halo or COD, or any other FPS for that matter. The reticle is TINY for the pistols, which are your go to weapon, similar to how the reticle was in RDR. And I hated it then. It's too small and its only on the screen when you are aiming, so in a pinch, it's easy to lose it in background art. The gunplay just isn't satisfying, it's either the wildly difficult free aim, or the haxorz auto aim, which takes all the fun out of it. I remember MP2 being way more fun and way more dynamic than this game. Anyway, that's my two cents. IMO, it's a rental at most. Expand
  100. May 21, 2012
    I wanted to give this game a higher score. The story is good. The voice acting is exceptional. The sound design is excellent. Honestly, it's all pretty darn good except for one thing: The actual GAMEPLAY. More specifically, the shooting mechanics. Rockstar knows how to make an open-world game like no other developer, but the linearity of MP3 puts an emphasis on the gunplay which isI wanted to give this game a higher score. The story is good. The voice acting is exceptional. The sound design is excellent. Honestly, it's all pretty darn good except for one thing: The actual GAMEPLAY. More specifically, the shooting mechanics. Rockstar knows how to make an open-world game like no other developer, but the linearity of MP3 puts an emphasis on the gunplay which is the one thing Rockstar doesn't do exceptionally well. Don't get me wrong, I love linear games as well as open-world games, but my linear shooters need great shooting mechanics and this game just deliver in that department : / Expand

1. Hyper Magazine
    Jul 8, 2012
    A compelling, down and dirty bullet basket populated by real characters and visceral gunplay. [July 2012, p.55]
  2. Jun 26, 2012
    The presentation is top-notch, the game feels like you want it to never end while you're playing it, and the multiplayer gives it longevity that will stick around for a good while.
  3. Pelit (Finland)
    Jun 20, 2012
    Max Payne 3 is a great action-movie experience with life-like characters that Rockstar is famous for. It does fall a bit flat on the actual action part, however. The controls on consoles are confusing and hard to get used to. Still very much worth a play-thru. It's also one of the best looking console games in the current generation. [June 2012]