8.4

1. Apr 9, 2011
    I am having a hard time reviewing this game for two reasons. One, it is really fun and well done, and two, because it is a budget title I still feel is overpriced. Allow me to explain. This game retails for $39.99, it is sold at a discounted price because it is made by a smaller developer and is more modest in terms of the game's contents. For that price you get a fully-functioning game (which is more than I can say for a lot of big-name titles from EA lately) that is a lot of fun with loads of replayability, and two gimmicks-the art style and old-school 3D. There are no bugs I have found, controls are great, and the black and white graphic novel art style is pretty cool, although I really wouldn't expect it in a racing game, but whatever, it works and looks good. There are four modes, all of which pretty much boil down to destroying your opponents, this is a demolition derby game after all, although some events task you with crossing a finish line first as in traditional racers. There is a fair bit of strategy involved, you drive in reverse to protect your engine/radiator just like in a real derby, you pick up parts of damaged cars to collect boost and acquire ramming speed, you push people of the sides of the track and into "the pit".
    There are 120 vehicles in six different varieties, 5 different arenas, local multiplayer and Xbox Live modes. Two pairs of 3D glasses are included, which gave me a massive headache, but if you can handle it the black and white art style looks very cool in motion. If you're like me, however, you will turn off the 3D effect in the options menu and the game doesn't lose anything in 2D. Now for what bugs me. I put in this game and installed it to my hard drive, like I do with all my games, but I was both amazed and confused by what I saw. The completion bar moved across the screen faster than had ever seen before, so when it had finished 30 seconds later I went to the memory section of my hard drive. This game is only 540mb. You can accomplish quite a bit with technology these days and make relatively good looking games taking up very little space, I know this, and I would have thought this game was bigger. My issue is, why not put this on Live Marketplace or PSN as a downloadable arcade game? Hydro Thunder Hurricane has just as much content or more, looks better and is roughly the same size, 460mb. That game only cost me $15. So do I feel a little ripped off? Yeah. This was a waste of a disc, those things can hold so much more, games of this size in my opinion should be downloads. That's like me buying a 128gb iPOD and only storing one song on it. Sure, it is a really good song but only loading that one song is a horrible waste of money and space. This game also costs $25 more, and the only discerning factor is the 3D, which is a gimmick that I'm sure most people will use for a little while and then turn off to play the majority of the game. I also don't believe any sane person would think that a couple of pairs of cardboard 3D glasses justify jacking up the price that much. As I said before, there is nothing functionally wrong with the game, it is a very solid and fun game, it is just very overpriced. Even for the $40 asking price there isn't enough compelling content here to warrant a purchase. I recommend renting it or waiting for it to drop in price even further. I'm docking points because of the miss-use of space and the ridiculous price tag.
  2. Mar 27, 2011
    Mayhem 3D is a budget racing title at $39.99 vs. the usual $59.99 and offers racing and demolition derby action without any drivers getting injured, guns on the cars, or other elements. It also offers a cool â
  3. Mar 29, 2011
    Awesome in 3D, I have a couple of other supposedly 3d games which really fall short of visuals one would expect, however, this takes 3d to the level it should be at. I'm still unsure of the replayability factor. Racing games in the past, haven't held my interest for long periods of time. My son, a teenager is loving the game as well. Hopefully this will be the bar for three dimensional games in the future. Well worth the price and much better than the other racing games we have, especially the visuals. Expand
  4. May 17, 2012
    Mayhem 3D, other game that intent use the 3D, and well, the game is really cool. The graphics are like Mad World, the cars can be same but are cool. The gameplay is addictive, and when you play with other people the game be better. Mayhem 3D is fantastic.

1. May 5, 2011
    Mayhem isn't a guilty pleasure. It's just painful to look at, painful to play.
  2. Apr 14, 2011
    Overall, Mayhem 3D lacks depth in many departments, but it delivers an average experience for fans of destruction racing games.
    If Mayhem 3D emphasized convincing handling and powerful impacts over graphic-novel gimmickry, we might've spent less time grinding gears and more time high on adrenaline. [May 2011, p.75]