8.3

1. Feb 16, 2014
    I'm old enough to have played Mega Man games since the original, so I thought I'd love this. The magic is gone for me with this game. It's not even that it's too hard, but it's certainly too cruel. I can learn to complete most of the levels without taking much damage, but they overuse spikes. It's just frustrating to play a level perfectly only to have to make an awkward jump and end up dead. The 360's controller isn't exactly good for this kind of precision in a NES style game, either. The d-pad on all my controllers is just awful. Expand

Mega Man 9 is exactly what hardcore gamers were hoping it would be, as Capcom has come out of the gate with a game that's full of nostalgia and fan-service, but also one that truly does rival the best in the franchise's 8-bit roots.
  2. Buy it, finish it, love it, because if this takes off we’re going to see a renaissance of new-old games. And if that happens, a whole new batch of gamers will grow up learning why rock-solid gameplay, not tera-flipping flop-bib shaders, make games truly exceptional.
  3. Those that cringe at the site of the arcade or 8-bit style of games on XBLA need to stay far, far away from Mega Man 9; the difficulty and overall replay value will not sit well with you. But for those that are simply in love with the Mega Man IP, or those that continually pull out the NES for old time’s sake, Mega Man 9 is one is a rare treat– a tasty morsel likened to the decades-later discovery of a previously unreleased recording from Zeppelin, or similar rock gods.