Mega Man 9 Xbox 360

8.4

1. Feb 16, 2014
    I'm old enough to have played Mega Man games since the original, so I thought I'd love this. The magic is gone for me with this game. It's not even that it's too hard, but it's certainly too cruel. I can learn to complete most of the levels without taking much damage, but they overuse spikes. It's just frustrating to play a level perfectly only to have to make an awkward jump and end upI'm old enough to have played Mega Man games since the original, so I thought I'd love this. The magic is gone for me with this game. It's not even that it's too hard, but it's certainly too cruel. I can learn to complete most of the levels without taking much damage, but they overuse spikes. It's just frustrating to play a level perfectly only to have to make an awkward jump and end up dead. The 360's controller isn't exactly good for this kind of precision in a NES style game, either. The d-pad on all my controllers is just awful. Expand
  2. Roger
    Nov 7, 2008
    I'm sorry, but this game is completely sub-par. If this is really what the original Mega Man was so applauded for, the original apparently stunk too. I'll excuse people who liked the original though, they didn't know better at the time. But in this day and age, it is ridiculous for such a poorly designed, tiny game to be so popular. This trades in advanced AI for cannons I'm sorry, but this game is completely sub-par. If this is really what the original Mega Man was so applauded for, the original apparently stunk too. I'll excuse people who liked the original though, they didn't know better at the time. But in this day and age, it is ridiculous for such a poorly designed, tiny game to be so popular. This trades in advanced AI for cannons that you have to wait, count to 2, jump shoot, wait, count to 2, jump shoot. That isn't challenge, thats just boring drivel. This game completely abandons all of the advances in games, and I don't mean the pretty graphics or sound. I mean the invention of open worlds where multiple paths can succeed, the invention of strategy and tactics in games, that actually make you think and test your skills. And before you say this game requires skill, no it doesn't. Figuring out that jumping at this point to kill this enemy is not skill, I do the same thing when I try and figure out the way to open my new box of Oreos (with the seal on top) or when I first tried to open a packet of ketchup from the wrong side. Once you know how, you know how. And timing your button presses and jumps right does not constitute fun in my book. That counts as pointless repetition and joyless mimickry. If there was a way to return XBox Live titles, I would have returned this game by now. Expand

Mega Man 9 is exactly what hardcore gamers were hoping it would be, as Capcom has come out of the gate with a game that's full of nostalgia and fan-service, but also one that truly does rival the best in the franchise's 8-bit roots.
  2. Buy it, finish it, love it, because if this takes off we’re going to see a renaissance of new-old games. And if that happens, a whole new batch of gamers will grow up learning why rock-solid gameplay, not tera-flipping flop-bib shaders, make games truly exceptional.
  3. Those that cringe at the site of the arcade or 8-bit style of games on XBLA need to stay far, far away from Mega Man 9; the difficulty and overall replay value will not sit well with you. But for those that are simply in love with the Mega Man IP, or those that continually pull out the NES for old time’s sake, Mega Man 9 is one is a rare treat– a tasty morsel likened to the decades-later discovery of a previously unreleased recording from Zeppelin, or similar rock gods.