Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance Xbox 360

7.8

1. Feb 23, 2013
    Spin off to the MGS series. I expected better game mechanics. Although there is a lot of great aspects to this particular title. It is very short. with only 7 levels of 4-5 hrs of solid gameplay. Blade mode is cumbersome and hard to use. And the responsiveness of the action sequences needs a patch or two. Other than the problems mentioned. Its a good game overall.
  2. Dec 28, 2013
    This game is a great game. The combat is fun,but can be repetitive and the game has to many quick-time events. The soundtrack is great, with some interesting environments (with a somewhat frustrating camera). I would recommend this for fans of Metal Gear and beat 'um up games.
  3. Apr 27, 2013
    Metal Gear Rising Revengeance is a game that I luckily borrowed from one of my friends and not actually bought it the game is fun don't get me wrong but it is definitely not a buy for it only being about a 6 hour experience and no other modes other then story to do it is not a 60 dollar title but when the price goes down and it will definitely go out and get the game or at least rent itMetal Gear Rising Revengeance is a game that I luckily borrowed from one of my friends and not actually bought it the game is fun don't get me wrong but it is definitely not a buy for it only being about a 6 hour experience and no other modes other then story to do it is not a 60 dollar title but when the price goes down and it will definitely go out and get the game or at least rent it now the story is great the dialogue is charming and the gameplay is fast paced and in your face Expand
  4. Mar 30, 2013
    Metal Gear Rising is a classic example of a over-hyped game. Admittedly, the debut trailer left me excited and I couldn't wait for the games release. Now that I finally picked up so long after release, I am left dissapointed. I couldn't help but feel that the game is just a mash of some over games of similar genre. The extremely "over the top" combat and general sword action, extensive cutMetal Gear Rising is a classic example of a over-hyped game. Admittedly, the debut trailer left me excited and I couldn't wait for the games release. Now that I finally picked up so long after release, I am left dissapointed. I couldn't help but feel that the game is just a mash of some over games of similar genre. The extremely "over the top" combat and general sword action, extensive cut scenes and pauses and (to my opinion), a stale story, makes this game hard to take seriously. Not to mention the sticky controls and awful cameras. I thought games were past this. The number of times I tried to pan the camera around to see what I was fighting only to have it freak out is stupid. Even most of the enemies are unimaginative. Most enemies just feel like copies from other games and then the rest are just unnecessary, way over thought enemies that just hardly fit in. It appears that the game main attraction is the sword mechanics and the "blade" mode. All the trailers seem to focus primarily on this feature. Allowing players to go crazy. This gets boring 5 minutes into the game. Sure, It's fun to try slice that perfect watermelon like in the trailer, It's fun to slice a car in half, It's funny to slice the supports on a bridge to have it collapse but in the end its just not needed. Give a kid a toy and he'll just play with the box. An accurate statement for this game. Overall, a over hyped, lazy game that has it's moments but I just cannot take seriously. Expand
  5. May 26, 2015
    It just doesn't play that well. It's choca full of "wow" moments, but they stop counting for much because you soon realize that - through awkward camera controls which leave you chasing enemies round like a dog chasing it's tail, and just allround unintuative combat - it all counts for little.

Full of gumph and filler such as the codec speil, and yet very short too, MGR really is just a junk-food cash in. An explosive and at times exciting one, but ultimately one which has so little substance and quality you'll do well to make it through it's short length.
  6. Mar 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So, after reading many reviews and watching a few let's plays of the first mission, I became dead set on buying this game. As a matter of fact, I rushed to my local game store and bought it the very next day.

I've always been a fan of the Metal Gear Solid series, and, in particular, I enjoyed MGS2. I was one of the (apparent) few who enjoyed playing as Raiden and, to this day, it is one of my favorite games of all time.

My first impressions of the game were great. I had a lot of brainless fun with fluent controls, great animations and, above all, a bad-ass soundtrack. Half the reason why I liked the game (and that it is rated above 5 by me) is the way the music fits so well in the game, getting more and more epic as the fights progress.

This didn't remain the same for the whole game.

While the music is constantly awesome, and the graphics are great, I find the experience to be... hollow. Combat is repetitive, usually following the pattern of "XXYYXYXY ZANDETSU slash slash steal spine repeat". Zandetsu is fun, giving Raiden the power to cut and slice like an actual sword should, and I hope a mechanic similar to it will be in future games. Parrying is in the game, which I'm not really a big fan of. This is biased as I am a big fan of dodging, which is in the game as an unlock-able skill. However, that skill isn't as good as say, a dodge button. If you could press A to dodge in a direction instead, I think I'd have more fun with the combat. OH! There is stealth in the game, but it's poorly integrated. The game would be better with-out it.

The story is bland, which I'm normally fine with action games, but it's a Metal Gear game. I expect some beef and potatoes in the story. There are a few moral dilemmas in the game, and some great character development (I'm looking at you, Wolf). However, the story is weak, not really accomplishing much and not really feeling like a Metal Gear story. I like how Raiden acts in the game, but the lack of his wife and child appearing in the story (only briefly mentioned) is disappointing. Also there's codec conversations. The ones that happen in game are fine, and provide good exposition. The ones that you have to pause and watch are, for the most part, dumb. This is biased slightly, but I don't think they should had them in the game. It was fine in the Metal Gear Solid series because you were an undercover soldier, using tactics, espionage and communication to get through the game. In those games, it made sense to talk with people to get more information about the mission. In an action game as a cyborg ninja, it makes no sense to pause for story. I think it would've been amazing if these Codec things would casually play during combat sequences. imagine: Raiden talking with the Doktor in a calm, joking tone and the Doktor talking back while Raiden is ripping people to shreds. It would make the repetitive combat a bit more spicy.

Also, this might just be me, but I found all the boss fights lackluster, the only ones I enjoyed being the fight with METAL GEAR RAY IN THE FIRST MISSION (That has to be one of the greatest fights ever in a game), and the fight with Sundowner (which made great use of Zandetsu). Personally, all the other boss fights I found cool at first but, again, repetitive and boring in the long run. For example, Monsoon's fight was cool for the first 2 minutes, but after the fourth time he went off screen to throw tanks at me, I started getting bored of it. Similar issues with Sam's fight. The only great thing that I will mention (which I have mentioned before) is the music is amazing in these fights, and fits well to the action that happens on screen. Games of all genres should look at how music was integrated into this game and learn from it.

At time of writing, I've beaten the game twice. Once on easy and once on normal. I'm not the best gamer, OK? I got stuck on mission 2 on normal, so I completed the whole game on easy and went back to finish it on normal because I thought easy was.... well let's just say I thought the combat was flat out terrible after playing on easy. Playing on normal made combat better, but didn't stop it from becoming repetitive. Overall, through the 2 difficulties, I got a good 8 hours (give or take an hour or so) of entertainment, which is fine. I do wish I rented the game instead of buying it, but whatever. Who rents games nowadays anyway? There are many people who enjoy this game, and I think that they have every right to enjoy it. It is a fine game, but I'm not overly impressed with it. 6/10
  7. May 7, 2013
    A visually stunning game and an interresting main character could make for a great game, but not a great Metal Gear game. The element of stealth is almost completely gone, leaving you a few unnatural feeling stealth approaches that don't feel stealth at all. The sword controls work great, but when you enter Sword Mode (by holding LT), all movability gets removed and you gan fling yourA visually stunning game and an interresting main character could make for a great game, but not a great Metal Gear game. The element of stealth is almost completely gone, leaving you a few unnatural feeling stealth approaches that don't feel stealth at all. The sword controls work great, but when you enter Sword Mode (by holding LT), all movability gets removed and you gan fling your right joystick from side to side, hoping to cut an enemy in to, despite the underdeveloped mechanic, enjoyable little pieces. Except for cats though. Cats are more agile than any enemy. Expand
  8. Mar 20, 2013
    "METAL GEAR RISING: REVENGEANCE is a acceptable indulging take on the METAL GEAR universe. The gameplay is lighting fast, ridiculous & offers some interesting mechanics for fans to master that keeps the replay value up. The boss battles are interesting for the most part harkening to a real Mega Man feel & the visceral annihilation of all your foes is hilariously good fun. But it’s also"METAL GEAR RISING: REVENGEANCE is a acceptable indulging take on the METAL GEAR universe. The gameplay is lighting fast, ridiculous & offers some interesting mechanics for fans to master that keeps the replay value up. The boss battles are interesting for the most part harkening to a real Mega Man feel & the visceral annihilation of all your foes is hilariously good fun. But it’s also extremely short, frustrating at times & has a forgettable story & cast about redemption & other meaningful moody stuff.

It doesn’t quite live up to the METAL GEAR name completely, but it’s still a perfectly fun & accessible detour from the usual stealth & hour long cutscene sagas before it. Just don’t expect to be blown away in amazement."

Read my full review: http://tmblr.co/ZOA6EyfFK9Jd
  9. Apr 25, 2013
    Other than a weakish story, its mostly about the gameplay. The gameplay has you griping the controller and feeling like you're actually using a blade makes it even better. The Boss Battles are enjoyable, but this is mostly for MG Fans, but if you can look past the story anyone could enjoy this.
  10. Apr 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Is a hack and slash game with swords instead of a stealth game with number of mindless codex's talks a lot so you be pressing the skip button a lot.

Oh and cut scenes after each other go on forever kill this guy then a cut scene will come on, then kill another then move CUT SCENES will be on, annoying.

A red wall will stop you from going anywhere until you kill all bad guys can be dull a lot to do this why don't you just continue moving through the game without pauses?

This used to be a SLOW and STEALTH game it's a dull hack and slash now where is Snake?
    Instead we get Raid en.

It's annoying to see a company will do anything just for money.
  11. May 25, 2013
    Metal gear rising revengeance is the newest installment to the mgs series and though a lot of fans were not excited for this being a hack and slash game from a stealth game it does hold up being an awsome game though it does some problems. While theA.I. is good it seemed like the thing that really tried to kill me was the camera. The do try to incorporate some stealth but you will rarelyMetal gear rising revengeance is the newest installment to the mgs series and though a lot of fans were not excited for this being a hack and slash game from a stealth game it does hold up being an awsome game though it does some problems. While theA.I. is good it seemed like the thing that really tried to kill me was the camera. The do try to incorporate some stealth but you will rarely ever do that but it is nice to see the old card board box back. The story isn't good but it's easy to under stand. The new blade mode is awsome were you can cut the out of your enemy's and then out their cyborg spine and regain your health. So metal gear rising is a awsome game with a lot of replay ability if your a fan of mgs I suggest picking up this game. Expand
  12. May 20, 2013
    This Game is INSANELY challenging. thats what makes this game fun, apart from the awesome gameplay, but it is a little over the top sometimes. and i played on NORMAL. the last thing thats hilarious, when you die it is really cheesy when they say RAIDIEN!!!!
  13. Jan 10, 2014
    Metal gear rising Revengeance is a spectacle fighter which was released on consoles a year ago. The game has recently been ported over to PC and I preordered since I didn't get a chance to play the console version. I wish I could say the game was perfect, but there are many issues with it which I found to be disappointing. The resolutions which you can select are severely limited. I have aMetal gear rising Revengeance is a spectacle fighter which was released on consoles a year ago. The game has recently been ported over to PC and I preordered since I didn't get a chance to play the console version. I wish I could say the game was perfect, but there are many issues with it which I found to be disappointing. The resolutions which you can select are severely limited. I have a 1080p monitor so it doesn't bother me as much but anyone with a older screen will have issues. The game has constant frame rate drops. I have a gtx 770oc, with a i5 chip and 8gb of RAM. I can max out every game at the moment including battlefield 4 without any issues, so I should not be getting frame rate issues when my rig can handle it. I experienced massive frame rate drops in the first boss fight and in open areas. Next is the textures. They look hideous. I'm sure this graphical fidelity is acceptable for consoles at the time since they're old hardware but this is not acceptable for for PC, especially when this is a AAA title. The next issue I have with the game is the cost. This game costs £19.99 at the moment on steam. This isn't good enough for a title which was released a year ago. I would be more inclined to recommend this game if this cost less than £15 so I would say wait for the steam sales. The final issue I'd like to bring up, is the fact that theres no dodging, only parrying. I know this is a personal preference but honestly, I would have liked the option to have BOTH.

But overall despite these issues the game is very enjoyable. If I were to compare this with the other spectacle fighters in this genre, more specifically DMC, I found this to be more enjoyable and satisfying. The voice acting is awful but thats expected in a metal gear solid game but the game doesn't take itself seriously, so that is passable. You can string together combos perfectly, but I would recommend a controller if you have one. Playing with mouse and keyboard isn't bad but weapon swapping is awkward.

So overall, 7/10, would have been perfect if they sorted out the graphic menu, frame rate issues, and added the ability to dodge and not just parry attacks. In all honestly, wait for the steam sales because spending £19.99 on a year old game without multiplayer, or any DLCs or any graphical improvements is robbery in my opinion.
  14. Jan 29, 2016
    Metal Gear Rising Revengeance is an odd Metal Gear title, let me explain why this game just leaps above average. The gameplay, for one, is amazing, Raiden moves amazingly quick, slicing and dicing his way through the puny resistance, the Blade Mode is really fun, letting you slow down time to let you cut in any specific direction that you want. The game runs at 60 FPS, which reallyMetal Gear Rising Revengeance is an odd Metal Gear title, let me explain why this game just leaps above average. The gameplay, for one, is amazing, Raiden moves amazingly quick, slicing and dicing his way through the puny resistance, the Blade Mode is really fun, letting you slow down time to let you cut in any specific direction that you want. The game runs at 60 FPS, which really enhances the experience. The boss fights in Rising are also amazing, having Raiden up against a hulking cyborg with meat cleavers to a ninja cyborg who can separate his body parts to dodge Raidens blade. The game suffers from some problems though: first of all, the story is boring, and undoes everything that was established in the end of Guns Of The Patriots. second of all, the camera can be a real annoyance sometimes, ruining immersive moments. apart from that, Rising is a decent game that i would only recommend to Metal Gear Solid fans who want something to play while waiting for Ground Zeroes, which drops in 2014. Expand
  15. Jun 15, 2013
    This game was great. Graphics were great in terms of console expectations, the music was good, the setting was a great one and above all, the gameplay was great. It's essentially what Ninja Gaiden is, but it definitely surpassed what the third one tried to do. Not to mention you can hack off limbs(whether a tree's or a humans) with precise accuracy with Blade Mode. The final bossThis game was great. Graphics were great in terms of console expectations, the music was good, the setting was a great one and above all, the gameplay was great. It's essentially what Ninja Gaiden is, but it definitely surpassed what the third one tried to do. Not to mention you can hack off limbs(whether a tree's or a humans) with precise accuracy with Blade Mode. The final boss aggravated me to no end, but daaamn it was satisfying! If you're not afraid to get bruised up a little bit and are willing to put in the effort toget through the game, you won't regret it. Just remember to parry! Collapse

1. Apr 16, 2013
    Metal Gear series and hardcore beat 'em ups fans will fall in love with this one. They will even extend their experience by replaying the game. They will have no troubles at all with its highly-problematic camera along with its useless junk in the combat system. They will handle it. Gamers outside the fandom do not need to get excited, there is nothing interesting for them.
  2. CD-Action
    Apr 5, 2013
    Revengeance has moments worth 90/100 but it is surprisingly short and rather shallow. Apparently turbulence during the development process forced the team to make some cutbacks. [CD-Action 04/2013, p.70]
  3. Apr 3, 2013
    Ultimately Platinum has managed to deliver on the vision that Kojima first announced back in 2009, and it's a roller coaster ride from start to end. The gameplay is the forefront of importance for the genre and it’s there that they’ve certainly managed to deliver.