Metal Gear Solid HD Collection Xbox 360

8.6

1. Nov 17, 2011
    Metal Gear Solid is a fantastic series but these are just remakes. The updated graphics and sound are not worth paying $55 for. In my opinion, just pick up the originals.
  2. Jan 4, 2012
    They're just remakes with previous addons, they didn't even update the contents or make real time cut scenes for Peace Walker. In addition, they didn't include the ps3 exclusive of MGS4. If you've played any of the previous version then this is not worth it, it's just the same dump in a different toilet. If you missed out on any of these games then do definitely pick this up, otherwiseThey're just remakes with previous addons, they didn't even update the contents or make real time cut scenes for Peace Walker. In addition, they didn't include the ps3 exclusive of MGS4. If you've played any of the previous version then this is not worth it, it's just the same dump in a different toilet. If you missed out on any of these games then do definitely pick this up, otherwise just move on, same old ****, nothing to see here. Keep in mind this review is by someone who played and beaten all the games in this bundle several times already on the original systems they appeared on and just could play through any of them again. Expand
  3. May 25, 2015
    MGS2: It's fun but it feels awefully outdated with annoying controls and some frustrating bits. Ultimately, I understand why it's considered a classic, with a unique style and engrossing stealth. 7/10.
    MGS3: It's an improvement over MGS2 in its stealth, story, and overall game mechanics. Still, the controls are a real inconvenience (but they're not so bad once you get used to them). You can actually eat snakes! Also, it has a very good ending. 8/10.
    MGS PEace Walker: I never finished this one due to its painful steps backward. I thought, although a handheld game, it'd be better than the others because it's newer. However, the stealth is **** in this game. You can't even crawl! Its plot is interesting but its gameplay is just too focused on co-op, which doesn't work well in Metal Gear, and it sacrafices so much to try to make it work. The mother base adds more content to it and so does the multiplayer, but the latter of the two is garbage. 5.5/10.
    Overall, good value and all but Peace Walker is 'meh' and the controls are far from ideal (the Dualshock 2 had 2 sticks, why not use them for moving and aiming?). Despite the complaints, buy it if you like stealth games.
  4. Jan 3, 2012
    I've fond memories with Metal Gear series over the years, and the chance to play it in HD is certainly intriguing despite the overwhelming barrage of new games. While not a complete overhaul, much of it remains untouched from last gen, but the appeal doesn't fade. It contains MGS 2, 3 (include 2 classic MGS), and Peace Walker refitted to run in HD.

The main concern is undeniably the

The main concern is undeniably the graphic. When MGS 2 first came put a decade ago, it was mind blowing, console selling game. I remembered how awesome it was when Snake jumped from a bridge to the tanker amidst the rain. Looking back, it's still impressive and for most part holds itself together pretty well. However playing this in HDTV the flaws are apparent. It aged well, but definitely still aged.

Some of the textures are visibly low res and bland. By going into first person mode, you can see the lack of HD there, some even look like LEGO bricks. MGS 3 has it lighter, it's one of the best visually in PS2, I daresay aside from few hiccups it won't disappoint much. The way grass moves, water splashes or petals dancing is really good. Peace Walker is the worst of the bunch, it simply doesn't work in HD, some textures such as the grass look very superficial. Because it's originated from PSP, it's quite understandable.

In ironic result, this comes off slightly nostalgic in their favor. These minutes imperfection reminds us that they are games from different generation in more pleasant way. Cinematic cutscenes which are synonymous with MGS series also well developed and still carry impact, off lip-synch aside. Peace Walker substitutes the complex scenes with stylish comic tone, it's a different approach but suit the theme well and frankly, I'm quite fond of them.

Dubbing is essential in MGS, even from PS1 it already delivered the dialogues in new standard. You'll recognize the heavy sound of David Hayter and co, instantly. They are top notch, although some of characters are a bit quirky. You've gotta love the loud cry for Snake when you reach Game Over screen. Background musics are exhilarating and familiar, the upbeat boss battles, alert phase warning and subtle whisper when you sneak are all done amazingly.

MGS 2 and 3 has different style. The second has more techno modern sound, somewhat reminiscence to the first MGS, while the third has sort of mellow retro James Bond-esque OSTs. It works so well as a part of the game, I can't imagine MGS game without the usual blinking sound effect, Codec calls (which are abundant), emotional deliveries and a little bit corny jokes. Couple them with cinematic scenes, it's as if you are watching a movie, something all MGS player can attest to.

Sadly the gameplay is a bit clumsy, or rather the gameplay we have now for shooter or action games have developed beyond it. Contrary of the popular schematic of aim-shoot with trigger buttons, MGS 2 and 3 use them to select equipment and strafe against the wall. While shooting and aiming assigned to a face button and shoulder button respectively. And you can't move while aiming.

This didn't impede me much in last gen, but it presents a problem if you're already accustomed to this gen shooting mechanics. Not only that, some of the more complex tactic requires you to do it fast and precise such as take cover, peek out of a corner, aim and shoot then get back to the cover. One time I was trying to use an enemy as human shield while fighting my way out of enemy reinforcement. I had to hold CQC button to hold him hostage, First person view button to aim, weapon button to draw the fricking gun and then reposition myself as the enemy came. It made me want a six finger alien hand. Peace Walker, despite having the less stellar visual, has more refined control as you can aim and move, more efficient cover system and weapon control. It also adds simulation a la Monster Rancher to boot.

One major complaint about MGS is that its cutscenes are too lengthy. I admit the constant Codec call and continuously events can break the pace. At the beginning of each mission your supports will go over the basic and objective too many times. Each title will warrant 15-20 hours playtime, and there are many alternate missions, collectibles, and also online gameplay for Peace Walker. Truly a repackage of the most complete version of the games. This bundle is a great deal for MGS, or action / stealth fans. Either long time fans or just newcomers who want to see what made the series great will get their money's worth. : Remarkable story and characters, it's one of the most memorable franchises. 9/10

1. Feb 23, 2012
    In the end, with Metal Gear Solid HD Collection you are getting 3 games in a classic series that will last you a good 30 hours, maybe double if you partake in all of the side activities and extras that the games have. It comes close to the value of the Orange Box, especially considering that it is being sold for less than most retail games.
  2. Feb 12, 2012
    Three great games at a very good price, brilliantly standing the test of time and allowing Xbox users to play MGS 3 and Peace Walker for the very first time. An high quality package, strongly advised for everyone.
    Sure, the first game is nowhere to be found and small pieces are cut from the game. But this is still a great collection though and shows that Kojimas classics stand the test of time.