8.5

1. Jan 20, 2012
    Not sure how somebody bought this game for $55.00, since the beginning retail was set at $40? Anyways...The Metal Gear Solid series is one of games best series of all time in my opinion. Anytime I can relive some of my favorite games is a plus for me. It takes a while to get grips on camera angles, and controls, but after a couple hours I couldnt even notice. Sons of Liberty, Snake Eater,Not sure how somebody bought this game for $55.00, since the beginning retail was set at $40? Anyways...The Metal Gear Solid series is one of games best series of all time in my opinion. Anytime I can relive some of my favorite games is a plus for me. It takes a while to get grips on camera angles, and controls, but after a couple hours I couldnt even notice. Sons of Liberty, Snake Eater, and Peace Walker all in one package! I give this a 10 because it deserves a 10. Graphics look great, and sound is top notch. In closing picking up the originals would have to be a little far fetched for me since I have an XBOX 360 and havnt had a PS2 in nearly 7 years. Expand
  2. Feb 22, 2012
    this game might have very complicated stories and a lot of cut scenes but thats all part of the fun, the gameplay on each game is really fun and its 5 games for the price of one cheap game
  3. Mar 12, 2012
    Although some would complain that this is just a copy and paste with a little touching up, I would not rate the game down for that at all. In my opinion, Metal Gear Solid is as damn near to a perfect video game series as one can get. Just because it came out again doesn't mean it's any less of a game. A game I gave a 10/10, years ago, is still a 10/10 game. First of all the price isAlthough some would complain that this is just a copy and paste with a little touching up, I would not rate the game down for that at all. In my opinion, Metal Gear Solid is as damn near to a perfect video game series as one can get. Just because it came out again doesn't mean it's any less of a game. A game I gave a 10/10, years ago, is still a 10/10 game. First of all the price is hard to argue with. Three (3) games for $40.00 (at least where/when I got it). The quality cannot be complimented enough! The narrative of MGS2 and MGS3 are the best pieces I've ever experienced. I have seen some complain that it is dumb to release this on Xbox 360. I believe they are merely Sony fanboys. I played the games on PS2 multiple times and loved them each time. When I saw that this HD Collection was coming out for Xbox 360, I bought it as soon as I could. I replayed the games on Xbox 360 and enjoyed them just as thoroughly as I did on the PS2! The availability for Xbox gamers to experience such masterful crafts of art is not "selling out". It is showing that we are developing into a time where the ability to play a game takes precedence over whether or not it is an exclusive. Back to the game(s). They didn't really change a lot about the games I will admit. But they don't need to. That's the whole point! MGS2/3 were a 10/10 the first time on PS2 and they are a 10/10 now. Interested newcomers, though the story may be a bit hard to grasp, should not deny themselves of the superb, well-executed experience that is Metal Gear Solid. Long time fans, this is still a good buy, if not for the low price then for the availability of experiencing the best in gaming history once again. Overall: Regardless of being a fan of the series itself or not, if you are a fan of well-told stories, smooth and unique game mechanics, journeys involving deep narrative with excellent execution, and thrilling stealth action, then pick this up.

Note: My recommendation is based around MGS2 and MGS3. MGS: Peace Walker I consider a stand alone experience. I wasn't as captivated with it as the main series games and it feels a bit weird playing a portable game on a console. Separately I would give it an 8.25/10. My review score is based on the overall package which is a 10/10 in every way.

OVERALL SCORE: [10/10]
  4. Nov 12, 2011
    The mgs hd collection consists of 2 main entries of the series (mgs 2 and 3) as well as the big budget spinoff, peacewalker, the 2 msx original metal gear games, plus all extended content of mgs2, 3, such as the VR missions and the monster hunter minigame of peacewalker for a price of 50$. That's not a bargain, that's a steal.
  5. Nov 16, 2011
    Just like the originals, but better. Better graphics, audio, effects, everything. It's also much more comfortable to play Peace Walker with a controller than it is on the PSP. Not as good as MGS4, but still amazing, just like all of the other Konami games. If you're new to the genre or setting, fear not. The controls are extremely ergonomic, and the stories are wonderful. Very artistic,Just like the originals, but better. Better graphics, audio, effects, everything. It's also much more comfortable to play Peace Walker with a controller than it is on the PSP. Not as good as MGS4, but still amazing, just like all of the other Konami games. If you're new to the genre or setting, fear not. The controls are extremely ergonomic, and the stories are wonderful. Very artistic, especially Peace Walker. Expand
  6. Nov 8, 2011
    This game is so much more comfortable to play with a 360 controller, it looks pretty nice except a the odd texture looks old here and there. IF YOU DISLIKE CUTSCENES DO NOT BUY THIS.
  7. Nov 10, 2011
    Say hello to 2011's version of The Orange Box. If you are a Metal Gear Fan, I highly encourage you to pick up this title because it is worth every penny and then some. For newcomers, the story may be a bit too much to handle with the absences of MGS1 and MGS4, but the gameplay and cut-scenes are way ahead of it's time and are now in glorious HD.
  8. Nov 26, 2011
    Metal Gear Solid Hd Collection is freakin awesome!! This game is remastered in HD and has still has the cool long cutscenes and fun stealth gameplay. Buy this game!! 10/10
  9. Jan 2, 2013
    This was the first time i played a metal gear solid game.I would buy it for mgs 2 and mgs3.Mgs peace walker isnt as good as them but is too be expected from a psp game.I had alote of fun with this HD collection and it is defiantly worth the price.I would not want to miss out on this collection.
  10. Nov 17, 2011
    Metal Gear Solid is a fantastic series but these are just remakes. The updated graphics and sound are not worth paying $55 for. In my opinion, just pick up the originals.
  11. Jan 4, 2012
    They're just remakes with previous addons, they didn't even update the contents or make real time cut scenes for Peace Walker. In addition, they didn't include the ps3 exclusive of MGS4. If you've played any of the previous version then this is not worth it, it's just the same dump in a different toilet. If you missed out on any of these games then do definitely pick this up, otherwiseThey're just remakes with previous addons, they didn't even update the contents or make real time cut scenes for Peace Walker. In addition, they didn't include the ps3 exclusive of MGS4. If you've played any of the previous version then this is not worth it, it's just the same dump in a different toilet. If you missed out on any of these games then do definitely pick this up, otherwise just move on, same old ****, nothing to see here. Keep in mind this review is by someone who played and beaten all the games in this bundle several times already on the original systems they appeared on and just could play through any of them again. Expand
  12. Apr 2, 2012
    lol this is the best ghaim evah uu fykken naaber0zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzlol this is the best ghaim evah uu fykken naaber0zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :D:D:D:D:D:DEIVIDDUEIVIDDUEIVIDDUEIVIDDUEIVIDDUEIVIDDUEIVIDDUEIVIDDUEIVIDDUEIVIDDUEIVIDDUEIVIDDUEIVIDDUEIVIDDUEIVIDDUEIVIDDUEIVIDDUEIVIDDUEIVIDDUEIVIDDUEIVIDDUEIVIDDUEIVIDDUEIVIDDUEIVIDDUEIVIDDUEIVIDDUEIVIDDUEIVIDDUEIVIDDUEIVIDDUEIVIDDUEIVIDDUEIVIDDUEIVIDDUEIVIDDUEIVIDDUEIVIDDUEIVIDDUEIVIDDUEIVIDDUEIVIDDUEIVIDDUEIVIDDUEIVIDDUEIVIDDUEIVIDDUEIVIDDUEIVIDDUEIVIDDUEIVIDDUEIVIDDUEIVIDDUEIVIDDUEIVIDDUEIVIDDUEIVIDDUEIVIDDU Expand
  13. Feb 15, 2012
    Loved um then love um now. Peacewalker co-op with up to 4 friends for the win. I'm enjoying replaying MGS while collecting achives. Nuff said. This is making me put 150 characters so here is a fun MG Awsome reference. "Oh gee I hope a tank doesn't tottaly come out of nowhere and own me"
  14. Mar 16, 2012
    Amazing remake for those with no playstation. Great games (little improvements to the original games for example camera-angles/options) for a rather cheap price. Works amazingly well with 360 controllor too.
  15. Mar 1, 2013
    Some games are meant to be played once and Some are played over and over again and this is one of those games. The Story, Screenplay, Dialogue and direction is just done really well. MGS series my most favorite of series of all time. And I would go as far as saying that it is better than Nolan's Batman series. I'm comparing this with a movie because that is how good the story andSome games are meant to be played once and Some are played over and over again and this is one of those games. The Story, Screenplay, Dialogue and direction is just done really well. MGS series my most favorite of series of all time. And I would go as far as saying that it is better than Nolan's Batman series. I'm comparing this with a movie because that is how good the story and screenplay is. MGS is a masterpiece. Expand
  16. Jan 3, 2012
    I've fond memories with Metal Gear series over the years, and the chance to play it in HD is certainly intriguing despite the overwhelming barrage of new games. While not a complete overhaul, much of it remains untouched from last gen, but the appeal doesn't fade. It contains MGS 2, 3 (include 2 classic MGS), and Peace Walker refitted to run in HD.

The main concern is undeniably the

The main concern is undeniably the graphic. When MGS 2 first came put a decade ago, it was mind blowing, console selling game. I remembered how awesome it was when Snake jumped from a bridge to the tanker amidst the rain. Looking back, it's still impressive and for most part holds itself together pretty well. However playing this in HDTV the flaws are apparent. It aged well, but definitely still aged.

Some of the textures are visibly low res and bland. By going into first person mode, you can see the lack of HD there, some even look like LEGO bricks. MGS 3 has it lighter, it's one of the best visually in PS2, I daresay aside from few hiccups it won't disappoint much. The way grass moves, water splashes or petals dancing is really good. Peace Walker is the worst of the bunch, it simply doesn't work in HD, some textures such as the grass look very superficial. Because it's originated from PSP, it's quite understandable.

In ironic result, this comes off slightly nostalgic in their favor. These minutes imperfection reminds us that they are games from different generation in more pleasant way. Cinematic cutscenes which are synonymous with MGS series also well developed and still carry impact, off lip-synch aside. Peace Walker substitutes the complex scenes with stylish comic tone, it's a different approach but suit the theme well and frankly, I'm quite fond of them.

Dubbing is essential in MGS, even from PS1 it already delivered the dialogues in new standard. You'll recognize the heavy sound of David Hayter and co, instantly. They are top notch, although some of characters are a bit quirky. You've gotta love the loud cry for Snake when you reach Game Over screen. Background musics are exhilarating and familiar, the upbeat boss battles, alert phase warning and subtle whisper when you sneak are all done amazingly.

MGS 2 and 3 has different style. The second has more techno modern sound, somewhat reminiscence to the first MGS, while the third has sort of mellow retro James Bond-esque OSTs. It works so well as a part of the game, I can't imagine MGS game without the usual blinking sound effect, Codec calls (which are abundant), emotional deliveries and a little bit corny jokes. Couple them with cinematic scenes, it's as if you are watching a movie, something all MGS player can attest to.

Sadly the gameplay is a bit clumsy, or rather the gameplay we have now for shooter or action games have developed beyond it. Contrary of the popular schematic of aim-shoot with trigger buttons, MGS 2 and 3 use them to select equipment and strafe against the wall. While shooting and aiming assigned to a face button and shoulder button respectively. And you can't move while aiming.

This didn't impede me much in last gen, but it presents a problem if you're already accustomed to this gen shooting mechanics. Not only that, some of the more complex tactic requires you to do it fast and precise such as take cover, peek out of a corner, aim and shoot then get back to the cover. One time I was trying to use an enemy as human shield while fighting my way out of enemy reinforcement. I had to hold CQC button to hold him hostage, First person view button to aim, weapon button to draw the fricking gun and then reposition myself as the enemy came. It made me want a six finger alien hand. Peace Walker, despite having the less stellar visual, has more refined control as you can aim and move, more efficient cover system and weapon control. It also adds simulation a la Monster Rancher to boot.

One major complaint about MGS is that its cutscenes are too lengthy. I admit the constant Codec call and continuously events can break the pace. At the beginning of each mission your supports will go over the basic and objective too many times. Each title will warrant 15-20 hours playtime, and there are many alternate missions, collectibles, and also online gameplay for Peace Walker. Truly a repackage of the most complete version of the games. This bundle is a great deal for MGS, or action / stealth fans. Either long time fans or just newcomers who want to see what made the series great will get their money's worth. : Remarkable story and characters, it's one of the most memorable franchises. 9/10
  17. Feb 7, 2013
    I have to say, great HD collection, well worth the time and effort. Sons of Liberty Snake Eater are given a whole new lease of life from this release and its great to see them out again. Although Peace walker from the PSP is a flop in my opinion, It doesn't feel like a proper Metal Gear Solid game which begs the question why didn't they release the original from the Playstation 1. InI have to say, great HD collection, well worth the time and effort. Sons of Liberty Snake Eater are given a whole new lease of life from this release and its great to see them out again. Although Peace walker from the PSP is a flop in my opinion, It doesn't feel like a proper Metal Gear Solid game which begs the question why didn't they release the original from the Playstation 1. In any case strongly advise you to get this game so you will not be disappointed 8/10 Expand
  18. Jan 7, 2012
    Awesome game. I didn't even look at the mgs series until it came out on xbox 360. Love the game even though the camera isn't that great. I loved the splinter cell series before I even knew about this series. If only the camera and the controls weren't so dang complicated I would have given it a 10. Cutscenes are also very long but cool. DONT BUY THIS IF YOU CANT STAND CUTSCENES!
  19. Apr 11, 2012
    3 of the greatest Video games of all time crammed into 2 discs, with better sound, better graphics and achievement support? Oh hell yeah! MGS2 and 3 are two of the best games of all time, the storyline in MGS games are amazing, Peace Walker is slightly sub par in graphics and gameplay because its a psp port, but its still great.
  20. Aug 25, 2012
    I believe it was said best in Sanity Not Included's Month of the Empty Wallet Video, but I'll go int greater detail now that I just finished up the last of them.

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty: 4 out of 10 This game was never good. This game still isn't good. This is a waste of disc space. Why couldn't they have put Twin Snakes(MGS1) on here instead? The camera is your worst

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty: 4 out of 10

This game was never good. This game still isn't good. This is a waste of disc space. Why couldn't they have put Twin Snakes(MGS1) on here instead? The camera is your worst enemy. Guards constantly spot you when you can't even see them and this get's worse once you need to turn on your radar in the rest of the rooms in the game. The Story is just plain un-interesting. Hideo Kojima may be a master writer of stories, but this one doesn't deliver until the last hour or so of game play and cut scenes, and even at that point I find myself not caring about some of the things, while the parts while interesting feel more like they belong in a film or some documentary. The Snake Tales packaged in are not voice acted, or even feature any fights or things you haven't already gotten sick of due too the story mode, and the VR missions are really repetitive. This is the low point of the collection.

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker: 8 out of 10

Why didn't I know this game was a thing until now? This must have truly been the greatest handheld game outside of Pokemon ever made. This game is genius. I loved Portable Ops, but the controls just were not right. Peace Walker however fixes that with a unique control set up where the game never goes first person outside of snipers, turrets, and some rocket launchers. The story is best played after you play MGS3 since it takes place 10 years after, and references it a lot.

The game does however struggle in some areas. The port failed to bring over saving pictures that you take with the in game camera, and the game doesn't use microphones without you being in a party. My other problem with this game would have to be a button mashing section that nearly brought my play through to an abrupt halt. Also very late in the game there is a point where you need to find someone in one of the missions yourself which I looked up online due to me assuming the game would eventually give me a hint.

This game has a lot of reasons to come back to it. It still has a semi active online community since MGSO is offline, and unlock-able weapons and items are not all easy to get things. It is truly a shame that I never heard about this game until he collection came out, because it is a wonderful game that mixes up the MGS formula while sticking to it's roots.

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater: 10 out of 10

This game is one of the greatest games ever made. I won't spoil the ending but it is one of the greatest endings to any game ever. The bosses are all very different from one another, while some have you running and gunning tactics, some require a stealth approach, hand to hand combat, or even your typical boss with a simple tactic to beating him. Some bosses even have unique ways to fight them such as food poisoning for example. The stealth game play is great. The camera stays behind you so you can actually see in front of you. Hunting for food is rewarding, and figuring out what food is best and how to use the jungle to your advantage is it's own reward. You can throw snakes at guards or even carefully toss them in a river or place them in front of a trap.

The game also includes MG1 and MG2 which I have yet to play.

So yeah, for $40 you really can't get more bang for your buck outside a Steam Sale.
  21. Nov 14, 2012
    3 Great games for the price of 1.
    MG3 - A game of legend, what we always in a stealth game.
    MG2 - Great game! Shame it's not all about snake.
    MGW - Great fun, not much to say.
  22. Oct 29, 2014
    The MGS HD Collection is the best HD Collection ever. It's one of the few HD Collections that look better then the originals and it maybe better then the originals. The 3 games for the collection are,
    Metal Gear Solid 2, Metal Gear Solid 3 and Peace Walker. All 3 games have great story's, excellent voice acting and great gameplay. This is one Collection you can not miss out on.
  23. Sep 11, 2013
    WHY WHY no MGS 4 but peacewalker a playstation handheld lump of rubbish port. The 9 is for how amazing metal gear solid 2 and 3 are to someone who never played them originally. Amazing games and ultimately worth it alone.
  24. May 11, 2014
    The 360 and PS3 versions of the HD Collection are excellent, easily the best versions of all 3 games they contain. MGS2 and 3 run in Anti-Aliased 720p, and Peace Walker runs in 1080p. It's unfortunate that 2 and 3 were not in 1080p - we know the hardware is capable of doing it while achieving a higher framerate than the original versions, but the anti-aliasing smooths out the jaggies quiteThe 360 and PS3 versions of the HD Collection are excellent, easily the best versions of all 3 games they contain. MGS2 and 3 run in Anti-Aliased 720p, and Peace Walker runs in 1080p. It's unfortunate that 2 and 3 were not in 1080p - we know the hardware is capable of doing it while achieving a higher framerate than the original versions, but the anti-aliasing smooths out the jaggies quite well. The 360 version achieves solid 60FPS across all 3 titles while the PS3 version comes very close to doing so, albeit with an improved colour palette. Previously, MGS3 struggled to maintain smooth framerates on the PS2, so the HD versions of the game are a significant improvement. The games come up exceptionally well in HD, and have had most of their 2D assets like fonts and menus reworked for the HD versions of the game, as well as new features like fullscreen cinematics. There simply isn't a better way to play these games, and with MGS3 being one of my all time favourites, this great example of an HD collection was a treat indeed. Expand
  25. Apr 7, 2014
    If you didn't get ps2 and missed the chance to play MGS 2,3, and Peace walker, this is your chance.

MGS: HD collection beautifully rendered its original graphics. The Sound and graphics are familiar yet fresh.
  26. May 25, 2015
    MGS2: It's fun but it feels awefully outdated with annoying controls and some frustrating bits. Ultimately, I understand why it's considered a classic, with a unique style and engrossing stealth. 7/10.
    MGS3: It's an improvement over MGS2 in its stealth, story, and overall game mechanics. Still, the controls are a real inconvenience (but they're not so bad once you get used to them). You can actually eat snakes! Also, it has a very good ending. 8/10.
    MGS PEace Walker: I never finished this one due to its painful steps backward. I thought, although a handheld game, it'd be better than the others because it's newer. However, the stealth is **** in this game. You can't even crawl! Its plot is interesting but its gameplay is just too focused on co-op, which doesn't work well in Metal Gear, and it sacrafices so much to try to make it work. The mother base adds more content to it and so does the multiplayer, but the latter of the two is garbage. 5.5/10.
    Overall, good value and all but Peace Walker is 'meh' and the controls are far from ideal (the Dualshock 2 had 2 sticks, why not use them for moving and aiming?). Despite the complaints, buy it if you like stealth games.
  27. Mar 12, 2012

OVERALL SCORE: [10/10]

1. Feb 23, 2012
    In the end, with Metal Gear Solid HD Collection you are getting 3 games in a classic series that will last you a good 30 hours, maybe double if you partake in all of the side activities and extras that the games have. It comes close to the value of the Orange Box, especially considering that it is being sold for less than most retail games.
  2. Feb 12, 2012
    Three great games at a very good price, brilliantly standing the test of time and allowing Xbox users to play MGS 3 and Peace Walker for the very first time. An high quality package, strongly advised for everyone.
    Sure, the first game is nowhere to be found and small pieces are cut from the game. But this is still a great collection though and shows that Kojimas classics stand the test of time.