8.4

1. Aug 14, 2013
    Better presentation than the original but still an awful game. It still feels outdated design wise with clunky controls, it still has crappy combat and stealth mechanics, its still linearly structured and anti exploration, and it still can't decide whether it wants to be a casual shooter or a hardcore RPG survival game. On one hand you got health regeneration (casual) and on the other you get limited air topside (Survival horror), which WILL checkpoint you with less than 10 secs left, making it impossible to get to the next checkpoint before your air runs out (clunky design). If you're a fan of the atmospheric S.T.A.L.K.E.R games like me for their world simulation and smart dynamic A.I. and think Metro Last Light will be similar, then you're wrong. My advice is avoid this like the plague because you will hate every second of it. Expand
  2. Jun 29, 2014
    Decades after a nuclear war has decimated the city the remainder of Moscow’s population survive by living in the underground metro tunnels within small factions. When ranger ‘Aytom’ discovers a plot to start a war between these different factions he faces a race against time to warn his comrades before it is too late.

There are some outdoor sections but much of the game is spent within
    the dark tunnels of the metro and the developers have certainly created an atmospheric setting for the player to explore. Aside from action orientated set pieces the game allows players to tackle most situations however they choose. Most sections can be completed stealthily, with take down moves and silenced weapons available to assist in eliminating the enemies (both human and mutant), or a more direct approach may be taken for those that prefer to use shotguns and assault rifles. Whatever approach the player chooses to take the gameplay is solid even if poor enemy AI which removes much of the challenge.

The plot itself starts off strong but eventually focuses too much on supernatural elements that rather undermine the more interesting human aspect of the story. Other than a couple of choices towards the end of the game it is also disappointingly linear and those that have played games such as Fallout 3 will be frustrated to discover that they can have no impact on the way events play out.

In the end Metro Last Light is a competent game that doesn’t quite live up to its early promise and probably only really worth picking up at a budget price.
  3. Aug 4, 2013
    metro last light does many things that modern shooters do not do. This game creates immersion and atmosphere that most games simply cannot get anywhere near. The world is interesting and begging to be explored. Post apocalyptic games are every where these days and it take a really believable world to ensure that the experience is worth while. Metro last light's world is full of desperation and despair and life outside of the metro tunnels is bleak yet full of life outside of the human species. this game does a fantastic job with the setting and is visually stunning. the game play aspects all add to this immersion as you are constantly checking your wrist watch for how much air is left in your oxygen canister, how many bullets you have remaining and if you can tackle the enemies head on as well as if you have enough filters to brave the outdoors. the game improved the combat immensely from the previous title and yet the enemy Ai is probably the most disappointing aspect of this game. once engaged in combat it is serviceable but there are videos of people literally doing a circle around an enemy and they still do not notice them.

Apart from these minor complaints the game tells and an interesting story and the atmosphere is incredible and one of the best atmospheres in a game since fallout new vegas. however the game does fall short on AI which does break the experience.
  4. May 19, 2013
    I don't get it! Once again a great game is reduced to an annoying, badly acted boob fest. The characters that were so endearing and real in 2033 are just mouthpieces stating the obvious. Again you have the characters telling you to do what you are already doing. The game crashes, the sound is terrible, tha AI is dumb and where the first game was fun and immersive, this one is not.The Metro stations are small and you don't feel like you are exploring at all. The above ground scenes that were so terrifying in the first game are tedious and boring. When you fall in the water you can't get yourself out but must wait to be placed back on the same shore you were on. So disappointed, almost quit several times but will finish hoping for improvements but it does not look good. Buyer beware! Expand
  5. Jun 28, 2013
    Just a little overrated in my opinion. It's a strong narrative for a video game for certain, but much of it is lost in translation. I don't think FPS creators are too stupid to write a good story, I just think that the genre generally doesn't lend itself well to strong narratives. Things get lost in the action. A strong mark against the game are the bugs. There are many, many, many. I had an entire boss fight glitch out on me at one point. It was awful and embarrassing. How do you miss errors like that? They are glaring! The game tries to mix up the gameplay by often giving you the option of stealthing past enemies. For someone like me who prefers that kind of gameplay it was a welcome addition. I'm, admittedly, not a huge FPS fan. The gameplay overall is pretty good though. I can't really complain past the bugs. One thing that this game deserves STELLAR praise for is the presentation of the setting. Whoever constructed the levels should get a raise. They are great. The shanty towns that the residents of Metro live in are a pleasure to explore and at times disturbing. Just like the real world, and certainly just what it would be like in the wake of a nuclear holocaust. The game can be disturbingly true to life at times which has garnered it some hate, particularly in the name of women's rights, but honestly, I think the creators were simply being true to what things would be like. It's not SUPPOSED to make you feel good and the creators do us more of a justice by showing us just how disturbing things can be, and often are, instead of pandering to us. It's a 7, but a strong 7. Rent it. Expand
  6. Jul 19, 2014
    I am not into being scared, having said that, I'm not against it, and when it comes to reviewing games i tend to stay postiive and keep negative thoughts to myself:

Pros: interesting storyline. having not played 2033 i was able to basically jump in and understand on the hardcore difficulty status (no stranger to fps, not the best at it, not the worst). Guns were interesting, as were the
    options. Stealth situations were done well enough for me to enjoy them as the best part of the game. It is a very unique game and pieces of it work remarkably.

Cons: I do not play fps for stealth, I play to shoot, and if I want to compare this to the best fps that I've played the last 18 months, mainly Wolfenstein: TNO and Far Cry 3, it is no contest, I just couldnt get into this game much at all. Did not love the graphics, and theres a difference between a game trying to be gross and literally covering you in flies, mud, and nastiness the whole game (except where it tried to be a military op game, which were my favorite parts). The characters are not likeable or interesting in any real way and that was a disappointment as well. This game for me is just ugly on too many levels.

I just played Wolfenstein right before this so its almost unfair to compare but it should be compared to best of a genre, shouldn't it? Those guns, that atmosphere, dialogue, characters, all felt real and these didnt. A murky mess for me.
  7. Jun 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The storyline of this game is quite interesting. Especially at the beginning of the game, when you are crawling through some tunnels, the skulls of dead people are laying around, creepy stuff brings excitement. The idea of upgrading weapons and skills is also quite good. The speed of the game is high, so when you are playing the main story, you shouldn't get bored. Expand
  8. Jun 14, 2013
    Wow. That's all I can say after playing this... What an amazing experience! I recommend this game to anyone who liked Fallout, Metro 2033 or is just interested in something new and different from your average shoot em' up. The game has beautiful graphics and a much more vibrant world than its predecessor, the underground towns feel alive with activity as family talk about the above world and impending doom. It really sets a tone for the whole experience. The voice work in this game is better than 2033 for sure, but still has some work that could be put into it. The guns are awesome, there aren't that many and I liked that, the guns are upgrade-able now and look awesome. The atmosphere is beautiful, hands down. When you first come out of the Metro, and see the sight from afar it blew me away. The story is something else I loved, with different factions all fighting control and you're stuck in the middle. It all adds up to make you feel an impending doom, as the world is still on the brink of war. I did not like, however, the story picks off right at the end of 2033 and chooses the worst ending for you, and even if you did get the best ending they assume you got the worst one there is no carry over saves. Also, I loved the enemies they always made the environments feel eerie and scared for my life when I looked around a corner expecting the worst. The ending of the game ended with a bang, leaving you with 2 different endings. Just a message to all of you who want a good ending, it's like Dishonored, you can't kill as many people etc. But overall this game is great and I loved it. Expand
  9. Feb 10, 2014
    Eye candy galore, oozes atmosphere and engrossing storyline, but is the gameplay any good? No its just mediocre as with the previous Metro and the A.I. is just as glitchy and dumb. Oh and the game locking up doesn't help too.
  10. May 16, 2013
    Metro 2033 had a great atmosphere and a pretty good story. Metro Last Light brings back that gritty environment, tense feeling, and unique atmosphere. The first thing I noticed is the graphical improvement. Metro 2033 looked good on Xbox but lacked some textures and particle effects, but Metro Last Light looks pretty great in my opinion. There are now a lot of visible textures, enhanced lighting, and added things to immerse you such as your character wiping the blood and dirt off of his gas mask. Also what I noticed was a lot better than 2033 was the shooting mechanics. 2033's mechanics at times were clunky and not as accurate as you would like an fps but Last Light improved upon that immensely. It now feels very smooth and there is no longer any screen tearing or frame rate drops. Stealth has been vastly improved as well. You can simply crouch and sneak up behind an enemy and either kill them with your knife, or knock them out. You can also shoot out lights and turn them off manually so you do not get detected. One way I would improve stealth though is by allowing you to drag the bodies to a darker area so you do not get detected but other than that stealth works quite well. On a bad note though, but not too common, is the fact that at certain parts my game would crash. It happened in 2 different parts of the campaign but I reloaded and tried again and it worked, so nothing too major. The story and setting are unique, and the game-play feels surprisingly refreshing for the over saturated fps market. Overall I would say if you love a unique game, a good story, and great game-play I would definitely pick this up. This game was made from a studio that had ten percent of a normal budget and they pulled this off, so it is an outstanding achievement. Graphics 9.0/10, Story 9.0/10, game-play 9.0/10. Expand
  11. Jul 3, 2013
    It will win you over. The combat and stealth are evenly fun, the world is wonderful detailed and intriguing to learn about, and the pacing is wonderful and refreshing.
  12. Jun 15, 2013
    A good solid FPS. the action and shooting is decent. Very solid, but nothing special. Stealth elements are very easy to pull off, a bit boring, but are optional which is nice. Lots of cinematic sequences, some were a bit predictable or over the top however. The ending is very anti-climactic and rushed.
    The storyline can be a tiny bit difficult to follow or care about, but the atmosphere,
    settings, and environment are superb. The visual art in this game is worth the price of admission alone. The game is worth a single play through, not much extra there, and it is 100% linear- even when it is not on rails, it feels that way. If you can rent or borrow this title, go for it- I don't recommend a full price purchase unless you have money to burn or are extremely bored. Expand
  13. May 20, 2013
    Metro Last Light is a game you want to continue playing to see what is around the corner. The game holds back somewhat and then when you're ready it gives you the next story bit just when you're ready for it. Even on the 360 it looks great. Especially good is the option to hide in the shadows or go guns blazing. Its better to take out as many lights as you can and powering down power sources before things break out into a gun battle. If this ever comes out on the PS4 or Xbox 720 I will likely buy that version as well..... Expand
  14. Jul 6, 2014
    A good game, but nothing that particularly stands out. having one of the difficulty options as dlc is a bit iffy as well. Definitely worth at least one playthrough
  15. May 28, 2013
    I got to say, I had expected more from this game from all the reviews and hype surrounding it. All this fuss over the nudity & sex in the game. There is barely anything in there.

For me, this game felt like I was playing scenes from a novel, which is appropriate since it is based off of a book series. But that is it's killer flaw. This game focuses far too much on narrative and allot
    less on game play. Normally I usually don't complain about this, but if narrative would be the focus, one would think they would have a more centralized hub of activity and stronger character development for the side characters. No, it's one creepy tunnel after the next, always moving forward. As linear as it could possibly be. Same applies to the outside too. They did give the game plenty of atmosphere, but they do very little with it. This game could easily have been turned into a full fleshed out survival horror if they would have added in some more jump scares and intense battle situations.

Overall:
    Metro: Last Light is a big improvement on the first game in terms of the gameplay mechanics, but it also has taken a bit away as well from the feel of the series that made the first game stand out as much as it did.

I did enjoy Last Light more than the original, but nowhere near as much as I could have. This game has a ton of potential that it barely touches, a shame since the storytelling and atmosphere are done so incredibly well.
  16. Jun 26, 2013
    Metro Last Light improves upon its predecessor in almost every way, the stealth, for example is now fixed and is actually a very strong aspect of the game. The shooting mechanics have been sharpened up so that they are both comfortable and realistic, they have however not turned the game into a run of the mill FPS with little to no recoil or weight of the guns. Each gun requires different strategies, and are ideal in different situations, the guns themselves are very imaginative and build upon the already quite original arsenal of 2033. The story of the game is fantastic and follows the more common or "evil" ending of 2033, the story is filled with interesting characters, some great plot turns and some very memorable set pieces. The missions that stood out most to me personally were the surface missions, much like 2033 it felt like a very different and hostile world, and the frantic fending off mutants, reloading, and changing filters in your gas mask make for very interesting, and on higher difficulties very challenging gameplay. Some new mutants have been added to the already hideous and frightening freaks that dwell on the surface and in metro, such as the spiderbug, as someone who fears spiders this added another layer of fear and dread to any encounters i had with these creatures. It goes without saying that this game has a brilliant atmosphere, through use of its supernatural themes the game creates a sense of genuine uneasiness that lasts through large portions of the game, another thing i personally loved was the lack of jump scares, they were instead used quite sparingly which coupled with the great and yet creepy atmosphere made them that much scarier. Another great feature of this game is the graphics, this game is gorgeous; every time i traversed the surface i always stopped and admired the detail and beauty in the scenery. My only quarrel with this game is that it freezes a little to often, you also may encounter the odd glitch, of which i only encountered one, thankfully they are quite rare. Overall Metro Last Light is a shining example of how a sequel should be done, they improved what was not so good with the original, made even better what did work, added plenty of new aspects to the game, i commend 4A games for their work on this game, especially considering the budget and working conditions. Metro Last Light is a great post apocalyptic FPS survival horror game that i recommend to anyone and everyone. Expand
  17. Apr 23, 2014
    Totally overrated. This is a great game at its own but it's not a good sequel. The story is way less intriguing this time around, and not much else has been different since Metro 2033. That was a great game. I expected so much more from this much praised sequel. All I saw was minor improvements on the technical aspect and more of the same. Actually, dragging Artyom from station to station was nice for the first game. I didn't expect this to have the same structure.

Stealth was punishing in the first game, but it is not fun at all in this one. It's not stealth if you can go to every human literally under their nose and exploit the whole game like that... The weapons have somewhat better feeling... All in all, as a sequel it's a big disappointment. People remember 2033 for its faults and praise LL while it should be the other way around.

Note: I hadn't played the Metro series at all until now, and i played them almost back to back (a few days apart).

This is an above average game at the least. This is a good game. But as a sequel, it relies too much on its former success, and I was frustratingly disappointed since "not improving the sequel" is frowned upon usually.

The PC version is clean as hell, though not the artistic jewel I expected. The outer spaces look great this time, though the character models, animations, VOs etc. could be a lot better. 2033 stands quite close. I was impressed with the 2010 game and expected more from the 2013 game.
  18. Jan 20, 2014
    Metro: Last Light continues the story of the apocalyptic future where humans now live in subway lines that lie under the earth. The story in Last Light is very good, building upon the foundations set in the first. The atmosphere is still the biggest draw to Metro, as now the surface of the earth is much more creepier and scarier than the Metro. The shooting is still a bit stiff, but much improved from the 2033. The game leans more towards stealth while dealing with other human enemies, and twitchy trigger fingers when fighting the mutated creatures. The graphics are passable and a definite step up from its predecessor. Metro: Last Light is better in almost every way than Metro 2033, even though the game still has a few problems itself. Expand
  19. Aug 16, 2013
    Metro: Last Light has so many wonderful ideas that could make it one of the best games of its generation, with so many different elements that are only introduced into the game, but are not given any important use. In the end, Metro is just a collection of pointless features.
  20. May 18, 2013
    Metro: 2033 was one of my favorite games of this generation. The atmosphere, setting, narrative, and gameplay were all something I loved. So when a sequel, Last Light, was announced a year or so ago, I had mixed feelings of excitement and apprehension. How could they do what they did the first time again. Well, in Last Light we have our answer. How do you do something as singularly unique as Metro 2033 a second time? By leaving things mostly the same. Very little here is drastically new, really, but instead is vastly improved variations on what was in the first game. Almost all the mechanics, from stealth to gunplay to trading has been improved. The clunkiness of the first game's controls and gameplay has been polished away quite nicely here. Meanwhile, the tense, forbidding atmosphere is still present, and the stellar narrative is front and center once again. Granted, not all is well. The AI could use some definite work, and there were a few glitches, but nothing game-breaking. All told, Last Light is a game that will probably sail under a lot of gamer's radars because it's different. Don't make that mistake. Pick this game up. It's absolutely worth it. Expand
  21. Jun 5, 2013
    Darkness... the only friend you have in this surreal, and unknown game. Metro Last Light is the sequel to Metro 2033, taking place a year later to last game. A lot has changed, as Rangers have left their old ravaged metro station for a secret Russian military bunker. But Artyom, the main character, leaves the comfort of his home to adventure the outside world for a last surviving Dark One. But ends up betrayed and caught in a frenzy of a war between Nazis and The Reds who fight over the secret Military bunker of the Rangers. Making this story have a double importance as the main character, as he must help protect his home and friends and getting the last Dark One for his personal issue. But to the game...

It feels like the older Metro. Very forward, and driven to a goal. It reminds me of Half-Life 2, only without the gritty tone of death and disorder. But the problem with this is the controls. As to the other game was way faster and much more manageable, as with this you get disorganized and confused and it doesn't have the feeling of panic as the first one did, as you are sometimes following a person. It gets it high notes of dropping you into a area of total darkness filled with enemies, but I wanted more a surface roaming playground like the first one where I fought to get to my objective to advance the story, or sneaking around for supplies in booby trapped areas.

Graphics are clear... even on Xbox... where as the details of the environment make the immersion draw you in, but only if the story doesn't get in the way as the pacing kills the chance to look around and explore.

Sounds amazing too. As almost everything can break, explode, or topple over. To distract the guards or get your attention to something else... maybe a monster hunting you or getting flanked by guard during a firefight.

AI has to be the greatest thing. As they respond to situations. As if a unaware enemy finds all his friends dead he will panic and more frantically look around as he is frightened by what would kill him. Even if you hunt them one by one the AI will bunch together and try to defend itself with other AI. Even in firefights they flank, throw grenades, retreat, push forward to flush you out. If they are the only one left they might run and hide from you in fear of you. They also avoid explosives, like gas canisters or tanks of flammable materials.

It's very good for gameplay, but the story is overbearing and the controls are problematic.
  22. May 22, 2014
    A fantastic game! I haven't enjoyed a single-player FPS game in a very long time. I played Metro 2033 a while ago for about half an hour and to be honest I found the gameplay and AI was awful so I didn't give the game a chance. After finished last light I really want to revisit 2033, and for some reason I think I will enjoy 2033.
    The atmosphere in last light is phenomenal, both
    underground and above-ground world are amazingly scary! The gameplay is improved and fun. The story, though is linear, it is somehow made me want to follow and find out what is going on. I give this a game a 9/10, not because it is better than some 8/10 games I rated, but because it offers me a unique experience and I haven't enjoyed a game like this for a long time.. Expand
  23. Aug 12, 2013
    I've reviewed Last Light previously, do I'll keep this brief- Metro 2033 was a good game, despite the flak it received for various unconventional gameplay elements and specific glitches it experienced. Nobody can deny that. Last Light steps into the spotlight with a new handler and a continuing story that works pretty well. Yes, the game is a linear game pretending to be a nonlinear one at times, that is very true. Yes, it is an action-shooter pretending to be more of an role playing game at times as well. That is also true. However, despite Last Light being a slightly easier to grasp experience than its predecessor, it is no worse off for it. Just as Metro 2033 was quite dark and dramatic, so are portions of Last Light's campaign. After all- Russia's nuked out wasteland and catacomb-like metro tunnels aren't the brightest of places anyway, especially when inhabited by rangers, mutants, and the Reich. Not quite the best vacation spot, if I do say so myself. However, that is not to say that it does not sport a pretty well-rounded, if linear story and experience. The gameplay can be tantalizing and it can be brutal. The soundwork is excellently crafted- from hideous shrieks of monsters and mutants, to the voiceovers for characters and enemies. The stealth mechanics work worlds better than their previous outing, and the controls are finely tuned as well. The story, action-filled gameplay, and the atmosphere itself are living, breathing embodiments of the Metro book(s), and represent that world fairly in my mind. Sure, at times, this game has its problems as well- as most good and bad games often do. Good as the graphics are, the animation work and the texturing can be wonky at times, and horribly panned out at worst. It's a very enjoyable experience over all however, albeit a summarily short and challenging one, and I wouldn't have missed it for the world. Excellent job. Expand
  24. May 17, 2013
    Awesome story. The dreary METRO is a glorious in it's drabness. Knowing what kind of conditions 4A was working in you cannot begin to understand how they were able to pull of a game of this detail and action. Again...AWESOME.
  25. May 24, 2013
    This has to be one of the most surprising games you'll play in a long time, simply because of the incredible quality of the game. This game singles out everything a next-generation game should be. Absorbing story, quality combat system, none glitchy and a deeply exciting world to explore. It gets so much right a very little wrong... One of the best things about this is that you literally can play it as you want, whether you want to be stealthy or all guns blazing, this game gives you the tools and allows you to do as you please. Many games have boasted this but when it came down to it, it almost forced you to play a certain style. Metro I feel have learned from these things and evolved themselves a hybrid combat system which absolutely strikes every cord for any type of gamer. If I was being picky I'd probably have to point out the average voice acting and the nudity. But apart from that, this is a game you'll want to pick up. Expand
  26. May 14, 2013
    Great atmosphere, improved game play & stealth, shooting is easily the best this year so far!
    Not perfect though, could have been more open and less linear. Enemies not very challenging (probably because I'm playing on medium! Great game overall
  27. May 19, 2013
    The game play was really great This is a really great FPS the story is a little hard to understand but that's just me because i did not play the first one. the only thing i did not like is that you pay for the extra game mode and there are some glitches in the game like burning stuff and when People lead you some were and my game has froze one time, on my play throw. but the game dos have a really good check point system to counter all this but they sill need to fix it. Expand
  28. Jun 16, 2013
    This game is great.It has a great story,fun gameplay and a very dark atmosphere.Even though most of it is has fantasy enemies,the game looks very realistic.
  29. May 20, 2013
    No new additions to the game since metro 2033 but there is a focus on the story ,dialogues and twists
    Overall the game is a good experience, don't miss it
  30. May 14, 2013
    Finally it's out. The best looking game that I've played so far!
    Love the overall improvements, satisfying combat and awesome stealth mechanics. Got to replay in ranger mode!
  31. May 14, 2013
    A HUGE improvement over Metro 2033 back in 2010. Almost all of the negative aspects of that game have been fixed here. Mainly the stealth and shooting mechanics. Superb atmosphere that immerses you completely, with tons of creepy noises and stunning sights. The shooting actually feels great now and can compete with the best FPS's out there. The story is also interesting. DO NOT listen to the people that rate it 1's 2's and 3's etc bashing the game. They are talking complete nonsense. Most of these negative reviews will no doubt come from the "angryjoe ranger mode DLC debacle" band wagon jumpers. That is not a reason to bash the game, at all, end of. The publishers are to blame. Expand
  32. May 14, 2013
    Easily one of the worst console ports I have ever gotten my hands on. Pre-ordered the game but still did not receive the ridiculous pre-order bonus of "The way the game is meant to be played" ranger mode. If you enjoy wading around through boring tunnels with a sickeningly narrow and un-adjustable field of view, I encourage you to buy this game. If you're however sane and don't wish to support a company that would cut an essential part of the game out in favor of charging you for DLC, avoid until a major price drop. Expand
  33. May 16, 2013
    This game is honestly one of the best games that I have played. Period. The story was incredible, though slightly lacking at the beginning and end. The AI was a major step up from the last game, with it not being able to telepathically communicate your exact position to every person in the metro, while still being difficult enough that you can't just sit around while you are sneaking. The atmosphere was amazing, being dismal with rays of hope appearing at times, helping you immerse even further in the universe. 1 or 2 glitches, but that can be expected from nearly any major game. Great guns and gunplay, with the SAIGA 12 being the most awesome thing for clearing out mutants and armies devised by man. The karma system was very different; it doesn't tell you how you are being rated, or when you are being rated, or even whether that particular action matters in the whole scheme or not, almost like in the real world, though they could have added more opportunities to use this system. Overall, amazing! Expand
  34. May 16, 2013
    One of the best games I have ever played :D Makes me wish I had gotten into the franchise sooner. The gameplay is amazing compared to any other post Apocalyptic game. Ha, kinda makes me wish this stuff happened in real life :b
  35. May 16, 2013
    I loved the first Metro game. I loved the atmosphere and the sense of fear and excitement that every turn and corner brought with it. The real sense of relief of finally reaching a friendly station was great fun. The gameplay was tense and a true blast to play. M:LL improves on all of those things that made the first one so special to me. The weapons are fully realized and adequately powerful. But the one thing that surprised me the most is the fact that the story is even more engrossing this time around. I play a lot of games and this one is one of my favorites of all time. If your looking for a quality game with an amazing story and cast of characters then I would highly recommend this title. Prepare to be immersed. Expand
  36. May 17, 2013
    The atmosphere and stealth elements are hugely improved story is engaging and the gun play is very polished recommend to anyone colossal improvement over the already impressive metro 2033 HUD and menus are easier to navigate.
  37. May 17, 2013
    Not the best but not the worst.

we can say what we want on Metro last light, I have rarely seen a game with such a universe.

Very similar to Stalker without the RPG side
  38. May 27, 2013
    It's almost too perfect. I love it so much. It's a piece of art. Why can't Hollywood make story, characters, monster like this.
  39. May 26, 2013
    I was fairly optimistic going into my play session with this game. I had read a lot of mixed reviews about it's quality and I have never felt it was fair to judge a game based on anything less than an absolutely quantifiable set of criteria. Judging a game based on opinion is not quantifiable. With regards to the story and presentation of the game I can say confidently that it is solid. The mechanics felt fairly smooth and aiming wasn't difficult. The sound was good for me but as I said before it's opinion. I was playing the game while using the Turtle Beach XP500's which make lots of things sound great so if you are using TV sound or a less expensive headset you may find the sound less enthralling. I really liked how the game pulled you into the story and started to turn history on it's head. Unfortunately, I was only able to get about 3 hours into the story when I was hit by a game crippling bug. I reached a part in the story where my computer controlled companion was supposed to make a scene advancing move and he just would not progress. I tried many different in game and out of game things to try and fix this issue but they had no effect. I am very willing to overlook many things in a game but not one that makes the game practically unplayable. I won't tank the score because of my experience but to ignore this glaring bug would be irresponsible. If you are playing on Xbox360 I would just caution you to this potential issue. I genuinely liked what I was able to play and perhaps in the future a patch will fix this issue but for now I am out of luck. Expand
  40. May 18, 2013
    This game gave me a feeling that im in this apocalyptic world.I played the first Metro,named "Metro 2033"I really like the stealth in this game,and the monsters are realistic that makes me want to play the game in 3D.The atmosphere was really nice about the Moscow in the 2034 after the apocalypse.The enemies,well i could say "humans"are not so very hard to beat.Artificial intelligence in the enemies are not that good,but it's stil enjoyable.The story in Metro 2033 gave me a feeling that im the main characther doing all this things.The game is great! 10/10 Expand
  41. May 18, 2013
    I have to review this to counter the silly scores of 9 & 10. I loved the atmosphere and story of Metro 2033, forgave the patchy gameplay because it was a wonderful experience. Fast forward to Last Light, looking forward to fixed stealth issues and lack of ammo and perfect those are fixed. A great game awaits....wow was I wrong. Let's just abandon the original story where you had a choice of outcome, force an ending to allow the flimsiest of stories to plod along, never caring about characters or plot and give us a generic shooter! Yes folks this is just that, generic. Wonderful environments then forced along a tiny set path...what? Why can't I explore the tiniest bit, why is this women rubbing her boobs in my face for no reason...oh yes because we are bland and generic. If you are looking for an interesting story in a post apocalyptic setting then play fallout, if you are happy with another plain, boring shooter then play this!! Can't describe how very disappointed I am with such a wasted opportunity! Expand
  42. May 21, 2013
    As a huge fan of Metro 2033, I must say that I'm very disappointed. Every aspect which made 2033 a unique, satisfying experience, is now absent from Last Light. It seems that the developers were more focused on appealing to the casual player, streamlining a lot of the game mechanics which made Metro 2033 so suspenseful and immersive. Gone are the tense moments and struggles for survival against mutants with only a few rounds to spare for your gun. there's an extreme abundance of ammo in last light this time around, the voice acting is stale, the returning characters are no longer interesting or fit the persona they carried in 2033 (don't expect any captivating monologues from your AI companion missions), and the the levels are a lot more restricting of player exploration. Sure, the graphics may be better with its deferred shading, geometry tessellation, volumetric textures, blah blah, none of this matters when you have a heavily casualized game that doesn't improve upon what its predecessor got right, but in most cases removes said features to appeal to a larger audience. It just no longer feels like a fight for survival with an interesting narrative like its predecessor, but rather another generic shooter on the market. Expand
  43. May 24, 2013
    The greatest game of this year. But you have to read original book Metro 2033 before play this and previous games about metro. Thanks for the developers for the opportunity to feel the atmosphere of post-Apocalypse
  44. May 23, 2013
  45. May 24, 2013
    Quite a large improvement from what Metro 2033 was. AMAZING graphics, good atmosphere. I personally think that Deep Silver did much better than THQ. I highly recommend playing on Ranger Mode if available, due to its massive atmospheric improvement. Just walking around the tunnels, looking in every corner starts to give you a bit of claustrophobia. AMAZING Game.
  46. May 25, 2013
    Graphically impressive, but technically flawed, Metro: Last Light was just a "meh" game. From the very start, you instantly notice the graphical capability of the 4A Engine. Though graphics can degrade as long as it means good animation work on NPCs and even the player's movements. But no, Last Light is noticeably choppy and robotic. Switching gears, the Metro underground felt alive and immersive and the above ground, radiated, and post apocolyptic Moscow felt even more so. Without an NPC holding your hand while exploring, the world reminded me of Fallout 3, but it was unique in its own way. Creatures were disgusting, creative, and posed a threat. Going back underground after a topside mission seemed like a drag, though. On another note, original and engaging elements from Metro: 2033 were missing or toned down, breaking another redeeming element in this so-so game. Collapse
  47. May 28, 2013
    This is a fantastic game. The atmosphere of this game is excellent, the music is subtle but good, the gameplay is improved from Metro: 2033 and the stealth is much better than most other fully based stealth games.

However, I would have still preferred if the game wasn't so linear and there were more varieties of mutants but regardless, the game gets its survival and gameplay right. The
    graphics are also superb and the good ending was satisfying although I won't spoil it. The graphics are also outstanding with realistic sound effects and lighting to back it up. Expand
  48. May 29, 2013
    Metro last light. Is my game of the year contender.

Why funny dialogs the atmosphere is amazing you should first play in English then you play it in russian.

THe weather storms.

The gunplay.Stealth is awsome Nice graphic

you feel like you are in the game
  49. May 3, 2014
    A surprisingly beautiful game with environments that are just breathe taking. The atmosphere is unbelievable good a real surprise hit of 2013, that went under a lot of peoples raiders. Metro: Last night will leave new comers confused such as myself but forced them to quickly catch on. Fans will be satisfied, because this game is everything the original wasn't. pure amazement. Looking for a new game to check out. THIS IS IT. FPS's heaven. Expand
  50. Jun 14, 2013
    You cant have it both ways; The only 2 things holding Metro back are it being released in the shadow of Bioshock and the AI on human enemies was reduced because of compaints of the first Metro being to tough. Well i say when you are one man against trained soldiers "tough" is realistic but now the changes seem to be the main complaint by most.The game is by no means easy. Its difficulty seemed to be well paced and Ranger mode is great for your 2nd+ play through. I found the game to be extremely enjoyable, breath taking even. The story line is well done, I often found myself eavesdropping and exploring every inch of Moscow to learn more about the shattered world i now live in. All in all the game play, story and even the combat mechanics were well done and a improvement on the first beloved Metro 2033. I think Metro Last light is well worth adding to any ones game collection. 10/10. Expand
  51. Jun 19, 2013
    Another masterpiece, but this one is more unique it has very impressive qualitys and choices.I'm sad it was sold to deep silver not to be mean but I cant see deep silver making another metro.
  52. Jul 4, 2013
    I wasn't a huge fan of the first metro but this one changed my mind people say it has a cod feel to it but it all around has improved still so goofy glitches but nothing frequent, shortish campaign may be better to rent then to own unless your a huge fan of the metro games.
  53. Jul 9, 2013
    Terrified is the first feeling I felt while playing this game, Weather you are in very claustrophobic metro tunnels or large open areas on the surface you will be terrified. There are many improved features such as stealth and atmosphere, It's very intense when you are on the surface, your gas mask's filter will have to be changed every 5 minutes so you don't suffocate. One of the most annoying thing is that if you want the best experience you better be willing to pay another 5 dollars because for some reason the developers decided it would be a good idea to charge 5 dollars for ranger mode. Ranger mode is the best way to play because it makes ammo rare and the enemy AI better. I decided that it wouldn't effect my final score. In the end the game is fun, scary, intense, and annoying. And some advice is conserve your ammo on harder difficulty's because one time I had used up 3/4s of all my ammo just so I could fight a boss. I beat the boss with one bullet and then had to fight it a second time but this time it had little minions. So save your ammo if you want to survive it. Expand
  54. Aug 4, 2013
    Metro last light taking off were the last one left off. You "Artem" live with the survivors of a nuclear war that has left Moscow and the world in a waste land. this world is only habitable in the metro's, because the surface is radioactive and full of mutant cross breeds. The game gives you an amazing atmosphere amazing story and an amazing AI. but the game some times experiences glitches and bugs that do become annoying. from A.I. just stopping for no reason to getting stuck in the ground. but apparently these bugs are rare so I wouldn't count on you "the buyer" to worry. I would encourage you to get the pc version if you can and if you could Subscribe to my youtube channel AverageGamerReviews2. final verdict 10/10. Expand
  55. Aug 6, 2013
    This was My First R18+ rated game in Australia, It does 4 things Right which is the, Gunplay, Russian Voices, Vodka and what it does Bad...is everything else...
  56. Aug 9, 2013
    One of the greatest games in recent memory. Metro last light hits it with great level design and some really intense sections. The story is great and is a large improvement over 2033. sadly the boss fights were aweful and glitchy. buy this game.
  57. Aug 8, 2013
    Put simply, a triumph. Saturated in it's own delicious flavour of atmosphere Metro tightens the shooting, improves the stealth and tells a worthwhile story while doing it. Still somewhat flawed in it's greater ambition but the rewarding exploration and rich, detailed world of the Metro make this less than noticeable. Not quite up there with the narrative behemoths like Bioshock, but Metro: Last Light stands firm as a unique and worthwhile venture into Moscow's subterranean underbelly. Expand
  58. Sep 13, 2014
    People said that this is one heck of a disappointment. Ummm sure, not to sound rude but some of them don't really go into great details making people change their minds.

Metro Last Light is a fantastic addition to the Metro series.

Fallowing in the previous game Metro Last Light has the story that seems to capture many peoples heart. If you haven't played the last one which is Metro
    2033, it might be a good idea to try that first if you're thinking about getting this one first because it could be confusing too play. The graphics are amazing to the cramp and gloomy metro to the beautiful ruins of Mascow. The gameplay is great but in all the wrong reasons, first the level designs are great giving off the the feeling of being in the Metro plus the audio helps out the immersion factor making the game sound crisp and fluent though some of the sounds do crack and firing a rapid shooting weapon makes the audio skip and loop sometimes. The company also improved some of the mechanics from the first one; Stealth in Metro 2033 was broken but in Last Light it is much easier making it fair then the first one but also makes it harder to go through without firing a shot on you're very limited ammo, that's also another thing restricting the capacity of your ammo which is okay but makes it feel Call of Dutyish because in the first one it's limited ammo you get in each clip you find with no capacity to stop you from picking it up here it's much easier to get ammo since each clip you find has the max ammo in your clip for that weapon but it's a good thing they didn't change anything with the military rounds except making them a little more rare and less forgiving then the first one, in comparison to the first one it still has that scare factor to it because of the immersion making you feel paranoid in checking around you every few moments in certain parts of the metro and some locations in the ruins, finally the games difficulty (not to sound rude) was reduced slightly because of the improvement to stealth making enemies easy to take out if you take time to think out your route but the game can get harder when it feels if you deserve a little butt kicking. Now the biggest problem to most people is the game does branch off the story a bit because the developers decided to make it a huge knockers feast mid way through the game witch Metro was a game that doesn't need to do to keep the player "interested" when were already interested in the story, also the Ranger mode this may sound rude but you have to be a little dumb to fuss over a difficulty that you don't really need. Sure it was suppose to be released in the first place not making it a DLC pack but there is one thing you could do just ignore it now so people could enjoy an already challenging game. Since the game has a few problems witch sounds like nit picking it's very well done. It score in an 9/10 Expand
  59. Sep 17, 2013
    Just beat Metro: Last Light. The game is just amazing. From the graphics to the story line and even just the little things you can do that don't affect the game. I also love how every little action you make can affect your gameplay both positively and negatively. I recommend getting the game if you like post-apocalyptic games or first person shooters.
  60. Oct 11, 2013
    Metro last light is amazing. The world is breath taking I found myself just stopping to look at the game in awe with its magnificent graphics and detail they managed to really make it look like an apocalyptic world. Gun play is good as well is the stealth game play. Some little features in the game also made it as good as it was like the gas mask and looting. To sum it up I would defiantly recommend this game to anyone who enjoys a great campaign. Expand
  61. Jan 19, 2014
    This game is so underrated; it's unique and fresh. The one thing that did bother me was it not having a co-op and the protagonist not speaking. I brought this game used for $14.99 thinking "ehh...why not". To my surprise the game is awesome and defiantly worth more used. Don't care about MP when it comes to a game like this, but co-op would have been the icing on the cake. While I know most reviews have limited time to play a game, rate it, and write a review for the public to read and make a judgment call on wither to buy the game, way to many games get low ratings they don't deserve, and way to many large money makers like the Call Of Duty franchise get ratings they don't deserve. It would take a person 20 minutes or less to see how sad the Single player story is and how regurgitated that game is with nothing truly fresh and new.

The largely read reviewer websites seem to learn towards writing good reviews because of how famous the game is, and how many of people love this first Person Shooter game. This makes them project themselves when writing a review as Call Of Duty fan boys and not a neutral reviewer . Scott Lowe (IGN)headline for COD is "Old dog, new tricks" and having a "Exceptional campaign" Really? Seems to me like old dog with a big budget that can do a quick slight of hand right in your face to make it seem like it has new tricks. Also, COD games have never been seen in any way form or fashion as having even a good campaign, so-so at most. I won't go as far as saying there's some money being passed underneath the table, but the final verdict from IGN's Colin Moriaty of 8.8 "Great" is way too high and 7.2 "Good" for Metro: Last light is way too low.

Colin Moriaty's Metro: Last Light Story Review:

Colin Moriarty starts off calling it "an interesting story-driven single-player-only FPS. It undoubtedly rewards methodical players" but goes on to say that "the last third of its 10-hour campaign is weaker than everything that came before it". The story is different as it takes a different path instead of taking the usual "hero company saves all, We killed who did this" route. While Colin was "longing for more about the Nazis and Communists" (must like those older war movies) and wanted it to be focused on "politics and personalities " (like we haven't seen and heard enough politics in games as well as in real life to last a life time), This would have taken the game down the "normal" and "predictable" story path and ending. I liked the German version of "The X-Files" type story, but agree more personality would have been nice.

Which brings me to my last point, There is a part that at times can plague smaller companies when a game first comes out...game freezes and/or glitches. So what did Colin have to say? He wrote "Folks around the office playing the game on Xbox 360 have experienced some console freezing and crashing while playing the game". While not a excuse (as the game should have been tested more before release, even more so as a smaller company) the lack of resources the bigger companies can afford can hinder them when trying to getting a game out there to make a return on the investment they put into in. For me as I was a late comer to the game, the patches that I had to download when I first started the game, 4k must of fixed these issue as I have not come across this issue on my Xbox 360.
  62. Mar 22, 2014
    Its a dark and atmospheric FPS. If you dont like those...why did you buy it?

Its a great game..a bit on rails, but if you like the first 1 you will like this more. Its lasts quite a long time and is good.

The game is a fun shooting game and if you dont like those, buy something else.
  63. Oct 24, 2013
    Metro Last Light is a half decent but ultimately linear and occasionally dull title that I expected better from. The setting is incredibly atmospheric and interesting but the gameplay overlay that has been chucked on top is fairy uninspiring throughout. If you can pick it up cheap or enjoy titles like S.T.A.L.K.E.R; you may want a look but for those looking for a more engrossing and detailed campaign should look at the likes of Fallout or Bioshock. Expand
  64. Dec 8, 2013
    I never thought I would like a sequel to game that is based off a novel. This game is one of my all time favorite games. It has an amazing story that brings together human on human conflict and supernatural to make one of the best games I have every played.
  65. Mar 2, 2014
    Pros:
    Atmospheric.
    Excellent pacing.
    Good weapons that feel good.
    Graphics are pretty good.
    Length of 12 hrs is good.
    Creepy.

Cons:
    Mute protagonist.
    Confusing story that could of been amazing.
    Two endings? Apparently. Didn't see any choices are nothing.
    Stealth could use more polish.
  66. May 15, 2014
    Really good game
    buy it if you dont have it
    cool fps with original & immersive story
    I only played hard mode but i can tell it's difficult.
    you will need filters when out of the metro and it's not always easy to find. Yes, you will suffocate a couple times.
    You will also search for ammo. you will not have a sh!t load of bullets to shoot so watch out!
    oh I almost forgot... boobs. yeah.
  67. Sep 6, 2014
    An incredible game, all around. I was genuinly surprised how they were able to improve every single element of the first game, while keeping the unique setting intact. This game is a must-play for anyone who likes a game with an immersive story, and would enjoy a FPS that's more then just shooting stuff.
  68. May 25, 2013

1. May 28, 2013
    It’s superbly paced and well scripted, and though still missing that necessary level of polish, an experience you’ll be remiss to pass on.
  2. May 27, 2013
    Time will tell, for now Metro: Last Light is a solid gorgeous shooter which presents something a little different from the norm, if not as different as the first game in the series.
  3. May 22, 2013
    A marked improvement on the original, and though it does make a few new mistakes, there's a lot here that story-loving FPS fans will appreciate. [Issue#98, p.65]