4.6

1. Dec 7, 2014
    I got this game for my xbox 360 since it looked awesome... and it is. If you can get pass the refresh rate at times (climbing walls with no definition once in a while) or be patient during loading you will like this game. The fights are thrilling, lots of combo and finishing moves and the action is fun. The developers could have adapted this game much better to a xbox 360 like Far Cry 4I got this game for my xbox 360 since it looked awesome... and it is. If you can get pass the refresh rate at times (climbing walls with no definition once in a while) or be patient during loading you will like this game. The fights are thrilling, lots of combo and finishing moves and the action is fun. The developers could have adapted this game much better to a xbox 360 like Far Cry 4 but I guess they could not postpone the release any longer. Unlike many on this page, I'm glad its released on the 360 since not everyone have $400 to spend on a xbox one or PS4... I recommend this game... I'm hooked as well as my son... Expand
  2. Nov 19, 2014
    This game has the genuine feeling that it was not meant for this last-gen console. Though many of its elements seem like they could have the potential to be amazing, its obvious that the 360's software just is not strong enough. It feels like a stripped down port that was made simply so that last gen users didn't feel left out. The nemesis system is stripped down compared to the Xbox OneThis game has the genuine feeling that it was not meant for this last-gen console. Though many of its elements seem like they could have the potential to be amazing, its obvious that the 360's software just is not strong enough. It feels like a stripped down port that was made simply so that last gen users didn't feel left out. The nemesis system is stripped down compared to the Xbox One and PS4, the textures in the environments are messy and constantly messing up, and the constant load times is insanely annoying. It's quite obvious that this is technically a great game, just not on this system. Do yourself a favor and save up for next gen before you buy it. Expand
  3. Dec 7, 2014
    Ok this is my second review; I've played the game for 12+ hours and this game is assassins creed on the ps2. It has stupid load times and is obviously not made for last gen. On the ps4 it's a completely different game. It's crisp, the load times are smoother, it just seems right. Think of it like Jerry O'Connell to his brother, or superman to bizarro superman...
  4. Nov 21, 2014
    Im so pissed off i actually paid £40 for this. Was really looking forward to this on the 360 but this is a joke. Any wonder they delayed it. Its nothing i mean nothing like xbone, ps4 versions. Its a crime they released a version like this. If it wasnt gonna be decent on 360 dont release it. The graphics are really ugly and washed out. Loads of pop up. Bad textures. Loads ofIm so pissed off i actually paid £40 for this. Was really looking forward to this on the 360 but this is a joke. Any wonder they delayed it. Its nothing i mean nothing like xbone, ps4 versions. Its a crime they released a version like this. If it wasnt gonna be decent on 360 dont release it. The graphics are really ugly and washed out. Loads of pop up. Bad textures. Loads of clipping. Blurry brown enviroments. Loads of loading- even from menu back to game!!!!! Why no one done a xbox 360 review i dont know. Honestly people dont buy this its really bad. Publishers of this crap must think were mugs to accept this. Taking this back tomorrow get something playable. If i do get a ps4 ill maybe get a preowned ps4 copy see how this game should have been. That way this publisher get none of my hard earned cash. This wouldnt have happened if reviewers actually still cared about ALL gamers not just the ones on the next gen. A joke. If i could give a minus score i would. Expand
  5. Dec 13, 2014
    This Game is a good game... on the PS4. There is no denying that this is a cash in as bad as a Mobile cash in to a great game, I'm not kidding! This Game is a mystery, how did it go through testing? I really want to like this game, I really do! I like the combat and the scenery, but that's it! The worst part of this game is the Slowdown, God The Slowdown! its basically unplayable if youThis Game is a good game... on the PS4. There is no denying that this is a cash in as bad as a Mobile cash in to a great game, I'm not kidding! This Game is a mystery, how did it go through testing? I really want to like this game, I really do! I like the combat and the scenery, but that's it! The worst part of this game is the Slowdown, God The Slowdown! its basically unplayable if you have more than four enemies fighting you, and yes, i tested, you can't even have a caragor on the action because it turns into a Slide show! You thought Sonic Boom Had bad frame rate issues? Sonic Boom is 60fps compared to Shadow of Mordor, and that insult carries weight in the internet! Why is the Ps4 Version so much better/ I enjoy the Ps4 version, it's a really fun game because it was built up to be Next gen and was not downgrade because of this. Yes I bought the Xbox 360 And the ps3 version along with it, just to see if they were good. I turned them back in and I lost 40 dollars because game stop is game stop. Getting off track. The Sound is Good, WHEN IT WORKS! Coupled with the slowdown, The Sound reaches screeching lag that just feels like a chainsaw is RIPPING MY EAR OFF! WELL BETTER THAT CHAINSAW THAN THE SOUND IN THIS GAME! The Graphics, I've seen better, it doesn't matter. But it does matter when the Mouths of the FRICKING URUKS DON"T MOVE AT ALL! Why do you do this, Warner Bros? You never port straight from the next gen base, You build up from the beginning because it's a different console, You use the same concept and design, but made for the capabilities of the console, Not for a higher generation Console, Or YOU GET THIS SCORE! I know you want a profit, but look at the PS2 version of Sonic Unleashed. It's Horrible compared to the PS3 and Xbox 360 version, But on its own it's a good game. That's because it was built up again for the PS2, and not a PS3 Version shoved into a PS2. Thats what this game is. Shoving a PS4 game down a ps3 slot and knowing it's not gonna work. The worst part about this? Coupled with the lack of animation, the texture Popups, The Slowdown, The sound and Every thing I could Possibly nitpick about this game? The Loading time. I didn't say that Right, wait a second... THE **** LOADING TIMES ARE WORSE THAN SONIC '06, CONSIDERED TO BE ONE OF THE WORST GAMES EVER MADE! I PAUSE, 30 SECONDS, I UNPAUSE, 30 SECONDS, I KIll A CAPTAIN, TAKES ME TO THE MENU, 30 SECONDS, GET OUT OF THE MENU, 30 SECONDS, GET INTEL, GET IN THE MENU, 30 SECONDS, GET OUT, 30 SECONDS, CUT SCENE, 30 SECONDS, UPGRADES, 30 SECONDS, WEAPON ABILITIES, 30 SECONDS, EVERY SINGLE LOADING SCREEN COMBINED AND ADDED, YES I DID THE **** MATH, AVERAGES 28.34 SECONDS! I had High hopes for this game, the PS4 version fulfilled that, but this version almost made me turn them all in! But I kept the PS4 one, Because I like that one, But the other two pieces of **** crap can go die in a hole with Ride to Hell, Retribution. I am Axel Rodriguez, AND **** STAY AWAY FROM THIS GAME! Expand
  6. Dec 26, 2014
    I am so disappointed. I got this game for Xmas and waited weeks to play it. Within 20 minutes I've given up. Why does it require 2 discs and constant loading times when the game itself is so ugly?

On the 360 you simply cannot compare this game to Arkham and Assassins Creed. In Arkham it doesn't feel like you're moving through treacle and Assassins Creed doesn't have graphics like a PS2.

The sad thing is when the person who bought me this asks what I think I'll have to smile and say it's great, when in reality they might as well have sprinkled their money down the drain.

I appreciate this was never going to look like it does on the Xbox One and PS4 but at the end of the day Assassins Creed, Battlefield 3 & 4, Far Cry and even Rage were made yonks ago and look a million times better than this mess.

As far as I can see this should never have been released for the previous gen consoles and I'm not convinced the positive reviews here are even genuine.
  7. Nov 21, 2014
    I played this game for....hmmm.....25 minutes! And it wasn't appealing at all. Bad textures, bad draw distance, bugs and clippings everywhere ... blah blah blah. This looks more like an old XBOX(R) game than a 360 game. I don't know what happens with the PS4 and XONE versions because I don't own one (and probably I won't since I prefer to give money to a good PC from now on). But I thinkI played this game for....hmmm.....25 minutes! And it wasn't appealing at all. Bad textures, bad draw distance, bugs and clippings everywhere ... blah blah blah. This looks more like an old XBOX(R) game than a 360 game. I don't know what happens with the PS4 and XONE versions because I don't own one (and probably I won't since I prefer to give money to a good PC from now on). But I think the XBOX 360 -besides being outdated- could do far better than that. But the devs seemed lazy enough and they made a X360/PS3 game that does not -by any means- worth of 55 Euros!! Avoid. Expand
  8. Nov 23, 2014
    the only positive thing about this game is the combo moves. the graphics are terrible and they look like yore playing on a big back tv. i played for 20 mins and i could no longer stomach the graphics.
  9. Jan 12, 2015
    After the recent 413mb update, there is a marked improvement over the launch version. Not a huge jump, but I noticed better graphics and menu access. In game movies are also better with less cutting out and better voice sync, At launch complaints were justified, but now I think it's worthy of paying the asking price for sure. The gameplay is very reminiscent of the Batman Arkham series andAfter the recent 413mb update, there is a marked improvement over the launch version. Not a huge jump, but I noticed better graphics and menu access. In game movies are also better with less cutting out and better voice sync, At launch complaints were justified, but now I think it's worthy of paying the asking price for sure. The gameplay is very reminiscent of the Batman Arkham series and there are lots of side quests to keep you busy besides the main revenge plotline. The nemesis system is less than next gen, but still a great new game mechanic. I would now highly recommend this game on the xbox 360 despite ten second game load times after menu access. I wish there were some leaderboard features and dlc that the next gen systems are getting, but the core gameplay is great and for an open world game does not disappoint after the recent title update. Expand
  10. Feb 8, 2015
    I waited two months to buy this game because I knew it would released with countless flaws on last-gen. I waited for an update to be announced. Once it came out, I purchased the game for Xbox 360. And you know what? I was not disappointed. The graphics may not be nearly as pretty as they are on next-gen versions, but this game is an action-packed feast. If you love the Batman Arkham seriesI waited two months to buy this game because I knew it would released with countless flaws on last-gen. I waited for an update to be announced. Once it came out, I purchased the game for Xbox 360. And you know what? I was not disappointed. The graphics may not be nearly as pretty as they are on next-gen versions, but this game is an action-packed feast. If you love the Batman Arkham series and Assassin's Creed, you'll LOVE this game. Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor takes inspiration from Batman Arkham's combat mechanics and Assassin's Creed's parkour mechanics and molds them into a beautifully crafted masterpiece. The nemesis system is also a very impressive concept, as it makes the world feel much more dynamic and alive.
    The game was surprisingly violent compared to other works based on the Tolkien universe. The combat is excellent, and you feel quite satisfied and powerful seeing a bunch of Orcs flee in horror as you brutalize their captain before their eyes.
    Needles to say, if you haven't played this game, you are seriously missing out on an awesome experience.
  11. Jan 1, 2015
    this game is fantastic but i hate this graphics but is on xbox 360,no on ps4 or xbox one, the history is beatiful and the fights is too best assassin's creed
  12. May 15, 2015
    If you're looking for a solid current gen Lord of the Rings game where you just slice up Orcs then this is your best bet. Though I like what they were doing with this title, I wish they put more work into it. Shadows of Mordor is not as fluid as Assassins Creed in the ability to control your character, the role-playing elements didn't feel natural and there weren't as many options as I hadIf you're looking for a solid current gen Lord of the Rings game where you just slice up Orcs then this is your best bet. Though I like what they were doing with this title, I wish they put more work into it. Shadows of Mordor is not as fluid as Assassins Creed in the ability to control your character, the role-playing elements didn't feel natural and there weren't as many options as I had hoped, and Castlevania's Lord of Shadow combat is better. These are titles that I found myself comparing to Shadows of Mordor, and it's great that they borrow elements from awesome games, but because they didn't take the time to perfect those elements I found myself always remembering how much better the games I compare it to are.

I didn't like the story, I don't like how much emphasis they put on the orc hierarchy though it started off really interesting the effect wore off within a couple hours of gameplay. Shadows of Mordor makes you feel like you can chose orcs to represent you in the chain of command from helping them, but it doesn't truly grant you the freedom to chose to kill Ratbag, or manipulate one of the stronger Uruks. Maybe if the game offered more freedom the orc hierarchy would have been more engaging, but because it lacked that depth it lost its novelty.
  13. Mar 19, 2015
    A very enjoyable romp thru Mordor. I bought it the same time as Dragon age inquisition, which I completed first, so only completed the main game today. I have to say it grew on me as i persevered with it. I thought it might get repetitive but the missions and locations were interesting enough to keep my interest. All in all I sunk about 45 hours into it so good value. The missions wereA very enjoyable romp thru Mordor. I bought it the same time as Dragon age inquisition, which I completed first, so only completed the main game today. I have to say it grew on me as i persevered with it. I thought it might get repetitive but the missions and locations were interesting enough to keep my interest. All in all I sunk about 45 hours into it so good value. The missions were fun, combat developed well as you got stronger and the story was good. Great game. The only issues on the 360 were load times and the blocky graphics which gradually seemed to render, just like Dragon Age actually. Expand
  14. Jan 9, 2015
    Don't judge this book by its cover...behind the sub-par graphics, the overly long loading times, texture glitches, and inconsistent frame rate lies a game with an engrossing story to tell set in a world of memorable, three dimensional characters, fully realized role-play mechanics, and exciting, brutal combat in a game that not only pays homage to the Middle Earth setting, but adds to it.Don't judge this book by its cover...behind the sub-par graphics, the overly long loading times, texture glitches, and inconsistent frame rate lies a game with an engrossing story to tell set in a world of memorable, three dimensional characters, fully realized role-play mechanics, and exciting, brutal combat in a game that not only pays homage to the Middle Earth setting, but adds to it.

This game on last generation consoles embodies the idea of substance over style. Whether or not you can enjoy this game on last gen consoles will depend on whether or not you are able to accept the sacrifices the developers made to do so. If you can, then buy it. If you cannot, then don't.

Obviously, the best platform choice for this game is next-generation/pc, but I suspect if you're reading this then it means that simply isn't an option for you at this time. The developers sacrificed the graphics, loading times, draw distance, and the such so that the game play mechanics, (particularly the frenetic pace, scale, and diversity of the combat), could remain largely untouched. In other words, when a sacrifice was required for the sake of performance, the developers chose substance over style; opting to preserve the way it feels rather than the way it looks. This was the right decision.

Hopefully this will give you a good idea of what to expect so that you can decide whether or not you want to hold out until you acquire a next generation console or take the plunge now. I won't lie, this game is hard on the eyes at times and the omnipresent loading is obnoxious at times, but the game is still a ton of fun that I recommend wholeheartedly to anyone who can look past the rough exterior and see the gem underneath.
  15. Mar 17, 2015
    Please do not publish these games on old-gen consoles if you are not capable to run it. If i gotta wait 5 seconds for map to open, and another 5 seconds to turn back to game on 2014-15, than this game is really flawed. No execuses. I dont care about texture quality because its old gen, but that lag means you failed and expecting people to pay full retail price to it. SomethingPlease do not publish these games on old-gen consoles if you are not capable to run it. If i gotta wait 5 seconds for map to open, and another 5 seconds to turn back to game on 2014-15, than this game is really flawed. No execuses. I dont care about texture quality because its old gen, but that lag means you failed and expecting people to pay full retail price to it. Something fundementally wrong this game on old-gen, please take a look a gameplay video before buy. Expand
  16. Dec 9, 2014
    I played this game for 50 hours on 360. Had a blast. If you can get this game cheap and have no intention of getting a next gen console you will have a lot of fun despite the menu and graphics and other glitches which MAY get patched. To my own surprise I picked up a XBO in the recent Sales and got a copy of this on XBO for just 19.99 new (I also traded my 360 copy in for 3/4 of the priceI played this game for 50 hours on 360. Had a blast. If you can get this game cheap and have no intention of getting a next gen console you will have a lot of fun despite the menu and graphics and other glitches which MAY get patched. To my own surprise I picked up a XBO in the recent Sales and got a copy of this on XBO for just 19.99 new (I also traded my 360 copy in for 3/4 of the price I paid for it) and on next Gen it's much better. The raw gameplay mechanics and so on are just rock solid and I personally really enjoyed them. The nemesis system does seem a little shallow, but is still a lot of fun. (I am only 15 hours into the next gen nemesis system however). The building blocks for this game are solid, really good license to. Just needs polish, more rewards for completing side missions (either discount to upgrade costs or unlocking skins etc) and I am looking forward to DLC / sequel. I will do a XBO review but think an 8 is a shoe in. 7 is a little overly generous for the 360 version but on the assumption you pay 25-20 or less I think most would agree with the logic. Expand
  17. Nov 24, 2014
    The story is interesting but not gripping. The combat is the same as a Batman: Arkham game (Build up a kill streak, and perform a finisher). The graphics is bad, there is massive lag in the refresh rate, you are often climbing up a solid colour, no bricks and wood panels in sight. Simply loading the map to quickly mark a location takes way too long. I think this should be an exclusiveThe story is interesting but not gripping. The combat is the same as a Batman: Arkham game (Build up a kill streak, and perform a finisher). The graphics is bad, there is massive lag in the refresh rate, you are often climbing up a solid colour, no bricks and wood panels in sight. Simply loading the map to quickly mark a location takes way too long. I think this should be an exclusive current-gen game, the old consoles do not have enough juice. Still a fun game though! Expand
  18. May 22, 2015
    I just want to say this game is way better than the piece of crap assassins creed and so much fun to play.
    Because it so open simple world with place to climb in every small corner , and the combat system is easy to control and the enemies are hard which put more entertaining boost , and they are ogres so you will not feel sorry for them, and finally the magic really increase the good gameplay fun and little times the player will feel bored., ......etc
  19. Dec 9, 2014
    I'm going to start with saying that, Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor is a very FUN game. The gameplay is solid; you're either cutting through ranks of Uruks, or brainwashing them, and making them do your bidding. The story is gripping and you feel a true attachment to some of the characters. The most common problem with this game is the fact that it was intended as a Next-Gen release, andI'm going to start with saying that, Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor is a very FUN game. The gameplay is solid; you're either cutting through ranks of Uruks, or brainwashing them, and making them do your bidding. The story is gripping and you feel a true attachment to some of the characters. The most common problem with this game is the fact that it was intended as a Next-Gen release, and they ported it down to sell more copies. This becomes relevant in the atrocious load times and the hundreds of texture loading errors. Every time you enter a menu, you have to wait through a 30 second (at least) load time. When you switch menus, another 30 secs. Exiting. 30 seconds. The most tragic thing about this is the fact that you're constantly entering and exiting menus. If you're going to be buying this game, I recommend getting it on a next-gen console, or the PC. Expand
  20. Jul 28, 2015
    This game is a Joke, I'm still wondering "Am I playing a **** PS2 game?". At the title screen the joke starts, the title of the game is bad rendered and in a horrible quality, but ok. The game starts with the cinematic and I starts thinking "Oh, they did a great job in the adaption" but suddently the cinematics ends and you are introduced to a horrible untextured world that a PS2 gameThis game is a Joke, I'm still wondering "Am I playing a **** PS2 game?". At the title screen the joke starts, the title of the game is bad rendered and in a horrible quality, but ok. The game starts with the cinematic and I starts thinking "Oh, they did a great job in the adaption" but suddently the cinematics ends and you are introduced to a horrible untextured world that a PS2 game could easily beat in graphics, as if it were not enough everytime when a cutscene starts the graphics changes and takes to load. I continue trying to play for another 30 minutes, but in this short period of time I've saw a several bugs, including screen-tearing and objects floating. The animations are weird, the main character's face looks like a doll, and the ork's blood are ridiculous, so I finally give up. So, my veridict is, even if you are the greatest fan of Tolkien in the world as I am, don't buy this game, you will fell cheated. Expand

There are no critic reviews yet.