6.3

1. MaceMoreland
    Oct 3, 2009
    Original was in the top 5 of my favorite games of all time. I almost prefer the old 2D look at times because it's a little hard to follow the perspective. I miss the total # of units display. Multiplayer is well done. Surround and support are very important components of this game and remain.
  2. AnonymousMC
    Oct 11, 2009
    What the reviewers don't get is that this game has excellent level design, which is the reason that it is getting remade for every new console generation.
    After the first few battles, which serve as a tutorial, every new battle has its own unique approach that has to be discovered to win it.
    Keep up this kind of brilliance for 100 levels (in the original game), and you'll get a genre classic.

Because you have to like the genre, I'm awarding only 9 points, However, this is one of the very few games that has NEVER been missing from my hard disk.
  3. CharlieMonokeros
    Oct 1, 2009
    Easily the best turn based strategy that I have played, the deceptively simple game-play has a level of depth that is hard to find even in the strategy genre. The normal campaign is a fun way to learn the ropes, but the multi-player is where the game really shines. 2v2 can be a lot of fun, especially when you partner with a friend, but 1v1 is the best. The advanced campaign is quiteEasily the best turn based strategy that I have played, the deceptively simple game-play has a level of depth that is hard to find even in the strategy genre. The normal campaign is a fun way to learn the ropes, but the multi-player is where the game really shines. 2v2 can be a lot of fun, especially when you partner with a friend, but 1v1 is the best. The advanced campaign is quite challenging, to the point where the levels start feeling like puzzles that you must solve before you even start playing. Expand

There is still fun to be had with Military Madness, but the almost 20-year old game definitely feels dated today.
  2. It seems as if the developers have done everything they can to make the experience authentic for nostalgia-starved fans of the original. The rest of us just see a dated game, with dated graphics, providing us with a solid, yet un-evolved take on the turn-based strategy genre. It does what it does great. The question is, is that what you want to do?
  3. The old Advance Wars clone gets a remake, but somehow avoids getting a proper 21st-century makeover.