7.6

1. Apr 12, 2015
    This game was amazing when I played it with one of my friends in 2011, its just like the other MK games except for DC characters and censoring violence which not all fans of the series liked, but nonetheless its still a Masterpiece!
  2. Jul 28, 2014
    Surprisingly fun, considering the game was a commercial failiure. Beating the crap out of Superman (who is INCREDIBLY lame) is so fun, and you can even perform new fatalities and brutalities. So fun, nice job, Mid way!
  3. May 23, 2014
    Really love this game, its addictive and full of surprises! For the first time you can kill Batman or Superman and graphics is awesome, this is a true value for your money!
  4. Apr 18, 2014
    Hardly worth playing, this button masher is an abuse of licensed characters and deserves to be a forgotten relic. The graphics in "Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe" are an embarrassment! The graphics look like they were made for the original Xbox, yet the game was released in the fall of 2008. This is after "Gears of War" and "Halo 3" showed us what the Xbox 360 could do. The female characterHardly worth playing, this button masher is an abuse of licensed characters and deserves to be a forgotten relic. The graphics in "Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe" are an embarrassment! The graphics look like they were made for the original Xbox, yet the game was released in the fall of 2008. This is after "Gears of War" and "Halo 3" showed us what the Xbox 360 could do. The female character models are ridiculously proportioned. The backgrounds are generic, and the layout appears to be stolen from "Dead or Alive".

At least the fighting animations are crisp and fluid. The Mortal Kombat characters moves are consistent with the series. What we want to see, though, are great moves from the DC Universe characters. The best super hero move by far is Wonder Woman's super kick and golden lasso takedown. Most super moves are too difficult to use for their effect. Superman is particularly nerfed, with no power moves befitting his legacy. The DC characters become little more than re-skinned versions of Mortal Kombat charcters. (Someome should give the D.C. characters their own fighting game ;)

The gameplay itself is rather terrible. This is button mashing to the extreme, and your thumbs will be tired. The Xbox controller is ill suited to fighting games. There are triggers and shoulder buttons that could help, but most of the action is in the left D-pad and A, B, X, Y buttons. This control scheme is actually the worst, as the A, B, X, Y buttons are mainly accessible by thumb, even though a fighting game should engage the fingers. The pace of the fighting, with moves breaking animations, make for mad button mashing little strategy. Playing against the omniscient computer is as terrible as always, with the computer either cheaply spamming combos and blocking moves before you can even start the animation.

I picked up this game as a digital download for $5, and $5 was too much.
  5. Jan 19, 2014
    This is a straight up fighter solid enough to hold both franchises, a little on the average side but I managed to pick this up for under £5 which scores it a point and the Joker's fatality is so amazing it gains another point. Overall it's a fun multi-player button masher just not the best on the market.
  6. Jul 4, 2013
    Worlds naturally collide in Midway's "Mortal Kombat Vs. DC Universe," a fighting game with enough characters, variety, and charm to make it fairly worthy of note.
  7. Jun 6, 2013
    I am not at all a Mortal Kombat person, I am a DC Comics person though. I really love this game. With all of the complex games aroud today, it's nice to play these 2D Arcade beat 'em ups. The story is very entertaining, not the best, but still entertaining.
  8. Jun 1, 2013
    The story of this is one of the worst piece of fiction I've ever seen, complete "marasmus"!!! It pissed me off, violated every rule it possibly could in DC Universe. Having so many great characters, and make them all irrelevant FAILURE.
  9. Mar 19, 2013
    A really weak watered down effort. I'm well aware that NetherRealm Studios was given some tight restrictions by DC and also they wanted a lower age rating, but that is no excuse. As a fighter it is good and does everything that it is supposed to, but nothing when compared to it's counterparts. This game is a step back from what NetherRealm did with the Mortal Kombat reboot. Overall: HadA really weak watered down effort. I'm well aware that NetherRealm Studios was given some tight restrictions by DC and also they wanted a lower age rating, but that is no excuse. As a fighter it is good and does everything that it is supposed to, but nothing when compared to it's counterparts. This game is a step back from what NetherRealm did with the Mortal Kombat reboot. Overall: Had this game been made by an independent first time developer I would not of been so critical, but since NetherRealm already showed they know what they were doing with Mortal Kombat, this is just a really poor attempt to grab a new casual market by bastardising two beloved franchises. Expand
  10. Jan 20, 2013
    Terrible game! When you see that your favorite MK characters are going to duke it out with some of the Top Super-hero's of the DC universe, you get pretty excited. Then you play it and it turns out this was just a cool idea with a pretty decent trailer. Everything about this game is flawed, the story, if that, was poorly written. Now MK isn't known for their in-depth stories, but I feelTerrible game! When you see that your favorite MK characters are going to duke it out with some of the Top Super-hero's of the DC universe, you get pretty excited. Then you play it and it turns out this was just a cool idea with a pretty decent trailer. Everything about this game is flawed, the story, if that, was poorly written. Now MK isn't known for their in-depth stories, but I feel like DC could have thrown some creative ideas that would have made this work instead of just having a bunch of loose concepts they strung together. The fighting system is classic MK, but the AI, even on easy, is brutal and spikes in difficulty randomly. I found myself stringing powers together and praying that batman wouldn't spam with more batarangs just so I could kill him. I like challenges, but this was far more than most people could handle. The graphics are nice, but the lack of fatalities takes away from the classic MK feel in a big way. All in all, I hated this game, if you want a great reboot of MK, go buy the actual game. I own that one and it's supremely better. Expand
  11. Jul 21, 2012
    Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe had potential to be the perfect fighter game. The character selection was varied and kept everyone happy. The super moves were simple enough to perform and didn't require you to be a hardcore gamer. Also, the there were new ideas such as Klose Kombat, Free Fall Kombat, Test Your Might, & Rage Mode that kept the fighter genre fresh. Furthermore, both careerMortal Kombat vs. DC Universe had potential to be the perfect fighter game. The character selection was varied and kept everyone happy. The super moves were simple enough to perform and didn't require you to be a hardcore gamer. Also, the there were new ideas such as Klose Kombat, Free Fall Kombat, Test Your Might, & Rage Mode that kept the fighter genre fresh. Furthermore, both career modes were both challenging and worth the playable character you got with it. It had flaws that made it less than perfect, though. Many times the key press response time was slow and very many times the analog stick and D-pad both required you to be irritatingly precise. Also, playing with a friend can prove hazardous because many times they find a cheap move and do it repeatedly, like slicing you over and over with Baraka. Additionally, the career mode's story was weak and didn't have much time put into it. Overall, great fighting game with funny moments (especially the Joker's!) and heroic super moves, but pretty unresponsive and, sometimes, cheap. Expand
  12. Feb 22, 2012
    My opinion of this game is mixed, and for one reason, I'm terrible at mortal combat games! After playing a few mortal combats before I finally decided to buy one, and since I love the DC Universe, this game seemed perfect for me. I really like this game, the story line is funny, online play is good, and even though I'm terrible at fighting games like this, I can even win sometimes. TheMy opinion of this game is mixed, and for one reason, I'm terrible at mortal combat games! After playing a few mortal combats before I finally decided to buy one, and since I love the DC Universe, this game seemed perfect for me. I really like this game, the story line is funny, online play is good, and even though I'm terrible at fighting games like this, I can even win sometimes. The only aspect this game is missing is a fatality trainer! I could really use one of those so I don't have to look them up on the internet. Great game and it's cheap to buy!! Expand
  13. Jun 26, 2011
    This game was amazing from the start, you will surely enjoy this with a buddy or with the computer. Yes i did not like how the game didnt have the gore like from the original Mortal Kombat games but it's a great ride from start to finish. Buy this game and add it to your collection!
  14. Apr 18, 2011
    It's an ok game, I spend hours of fun playing this one, the only problem I found is the lack of options, just arcade, story and Xbox Live, and the fatalities are not what someone expect, and in the us version they're censored.
  15. Nov 21, 2010
    I really like this game, the story isn't much but it's cool what shao kahn and darkseid have become. The controls are pretty easy for a fighter and the combos range for simple to just plain awesome! Only one thing this awesome game lacks though, more characters and more unlockable characters.
  16. Oct 26, 2010
    If you're a hardcore mortal kombat player,or just someone who wants to play mortal kombat don't get this one...it definitely won't feel like a mortal kombat game at all...
  17. Oct 24, 2010
    Clearly half-assed and rushed together. There are too few characters and some don't even have fatalities. Some characters are horribly balanced in comparison to others. Scorpion has some moves that are too fast to react to and unblockable; Lex Luther does about 2x the damage of other characters per hit and swings at roughly the same speed as others. There is still a brief bit of fun in theClearly half-assed and rushed together. There are too few characters and some don't even have fatalities. Some characters are horribly balanced in comparison to others. Scorpion has some moves that are too fast to react to and unblockable; Lex Luther does about 2x the damage of other characters per hit and swings at roughly the same speed as others. There is still a brief bit of fun in the fighting while falling down a building side or running your opponent through a wall.. or five. The game get's old quick though when you realize scorpion can kill everyone with ease because his moves are insanely fast. Expand
  18. Oct 26, 2010

1. Online play over Live will enhance this game's replayability, but a little more content would've made it an epic crossover. [Holiday 2008, p.80]
    Casual players will punch through the storyline before burning out after getting stumped by one or two Kombo Challenges, while Mortal Kombat fans will have trouble accepting the toned down Fatalities and somewhat slower gameplay. In short, this game's fun, but its legs probably can't carry it beyond the whole "Wow, Batman's fighting Superman" first impression.
  3. The game is not a failure by any means, but you will find yourself asking for more or wanting to play other more fleshed out fighting games. The visuals were also a big letdown, especially the backgrounds, mainly because we've been spoiled by other visually appealing fighting games.