7.7

1. Oct 5, 2011
    WHY ISN'T THE GAMES RADAR REVIEW ON THE PS3 MEDIAN SCORE AS WELL!?!?!? They are virtually the same games, I've played both versions.

Anywho, The best basketball game of all time just got a billion times better. And that's a remarkable feat because NBA 2K11 was a frickin' masterpiece of sports gaming. NBA 2K12 is a beautiful love letter to the game of basketball and a dream come true to
    it's fans. Fans of the both the real and virtual world versions of the sport. Simply put: this game is INCREDIBLE. Prepare to be floored when you jump back in time and play as Bill Russell and the weathered black and white screen and filtered audio make you feel like you just time traveled back into the world of TV's Mad Men. Be wowed when you see how incredibly smooth and fluid animations. It's so photorealistic and lifelike that you will forget you're controlling a video game and think you've actually got the real life versions of Dirk, Lebron, and Kobe on Pinocchio strings making them perform miraculous moves and nailing incredible shots. The accessibility of this year's game is greatly improved as well. Just tap triangle to engage in the post to open a plethora of new moves. I swear the number of moves in this game and the amount possibilities when factoring in the game's brilliant physics engine is STAGGERING. It's virtually endless in its gameplay possibilities. You'll see a new animation nearly every play. In final, 2K Sports has become legendary. Greatness and 2K are now synonymous. It's baffling that the company could great something so incredibly better than it's predecessor when it's predecessor was arguably the greatest sports game ever made. Well chaps, there is NO ARGUMENT to be had this year: NBA 2K12 is HANDS DOWN.....THE GREATEST SPORTS GAME IN GAMING HISTORY. Get it NOW! Expand
  2. Oct 9, 2011
    Perfection,amazement just downright fun.I just got done playing multiple games online and it was like I was controlling a real game on the television.Now offline let me get started by saying that I don't want to get into everything because everything is perfect.I can't find one thing wrong with this title.I mean come on the commentary is better then any game I have ever watched in the past on TV.I played basketball for several years and this is the first time that I feel like I'm 15 years younger and I'm playing again.Let me just say this,after playing this game put in NBA Live 10,09,NBA 2k9.2K10.There obsolete,that's how good this is.EA has done a good job with there hockey and soccer,Sony has done an amazing job with there Baseball but nothing and I mean nothing can compare with the brilliance of this game. Expand
  3. Oct 8, 2011
    Visual concepts know how to improve on a game by far the best looking sounding and playing NBA game of all time. 2k Sports has done it again! Raiseing the bar even higher!
  4. Oct 7, 2011
    Brilliant,yeah there is online problems but that is what really shows how amazing this game is.The single player alone is nothing less then perfection.NBA 2k11 was a genius game but it had flaws especially the passing and how AI players acted like they were psychic.It was still entering boundaries of the best video sports game ever and one of the best games ever.Well NBA 2K12 is all that it was multiplied by one hundred.I really cannot believe my eyes when I play this game.Can you imagine if the online was working 100% and there was no lockout in anyone's mind.Graphics,presentation,game play,sound,replay value,depth.This I can tell you,2K has made 2 of the finest sports games on the planet and I cant give enough praises for this game.10 10 10 Expand
  5. Oct 9, 2011
    This game is great. First off, I want to say that this is the best NBA 2K game yet. All that you loved from last years masterpiece 2K11 is now enhanced in this. I'll keep my review short.
    Presentation/Graphics
    The presentation is awesome. The intros are a neat touch and give that TV feel. You won't get the same intro all the time. Different lineup screens also are nice. The graphics are
    also good. In my opinion the faces are good. Not all are accurate but it is a step up from last year. Kobe Bryant doesn't look like an alien anymore and Andrew Bynum looks like...Andrew Bynum. There are some faces here and there but the all look better than 2K11's faces. The lighting in the game is a step up also. No complaints in the department. Oh and the animations are nice!(Also, the presentation shines the most in the playoffs and The NBA's Greatest Mode)
    Sound
    This year 2K added Steve Kerr in the commentary team so now we have 3 people commentating. This is actually a welcome addition. It all sounds natural and they have Steve Kerr incorporated well. By far one of the best commentating in a game. The soundtrack is good. I personally like it and I didn't really turn off any songs, but that's all just in personal taste of music. Gameplay
    This year the controls have been a little modified. No longer do you have a dedicated hopstep button. You now hold the LT (or L2 for PS3) and move the right stick in a direction to do escape shots. I found myself using these more than I expected. I can't really give my insight of the post game since I never really touched it last year, but here's some of what I experienced so far. Post up is now mapped to the Y button(or the Triangle button on PS3). I thought this was going to be problematic but it really isn't. Post moves seem to be easier. It's all on the right stick combined with the left trigger. It really does feel better. I'll head on to training camp to learn some more of the post moves. The opposing AI isn't really cheap. They actually beat you by playing smart basketball. They will find that extra man open or attack an open lane. I found myself in close games even on pro difficulty. You're teammate AI is not stupid either. They are better too.
    Lasting appeal:
    The has got me addicted just like 2K11 did. The revamped My Player mode will have you playing for a long time. Much more improved. Greatest mode will have you occupied for a while and especially for you nostalgia fans. This will be in my console for a long time. (Lets hope this lockout ends so we can have the rookies!)
  6. Feb 7, 2012
    Best NBA game ever made for you basketball SIMULATION style players, and still great for casual gamers as well. The graphics are truly adjusted from 2k11, the players look more realistic (facial textures especially), as well as the physics engine and collision detection markedly being improved to a point where the game sometimes flows like a real NBA game. On my 27" 120hz 1080p LCD-TV on broadcast camera the game almost looks photorealistic next to a live NBA game on a 50'' TV. The gameplay is quite improved. No more cheesing non-stop; you have to actually play smart basketball rather than isolate, crossover, spin and dunk at the rim. They've really adjusted the passing in the game, much needed from 2k11's "passes and alley-oops are 99% successful", and while it's tough to begin (post passing is tough) it makes for a much more realistic experience. Good passers like Kidd or Nash still dish it out like stars, but no longer does a mediocre forward never throw it away. It's a great change that almost requires you to slow the pace down of the game.

My Player has been improved with more goals, better interviews, a better draft process (1 game, interviews from teams and draft). Start rated around a 60 (2k11 you were a 40... bench players in NBA2k'any-year are always 50-60 ratings, so it makes sense. Player attributes as well as tendencies, and earn your paycheck to pay for a camp or team dinner or buy a dunk package of a certain player. Also "Play Next Key Game" is a great addition that helps it flow better. With the added "Hall of Fame" progress, there are goals to play more than a year or two and My Player has been improved drastically.

The old rosters are great as well. There are 15 Classic challenges ranging from Wilt's Lakers and Pistol Pete's rookie season Hawks to the 01-02 Kings (Webber, Peja) with tons of teams in between (like 5 Bulls teams; 96-97 Lakers w/young Kobe), classic 90's Blazers, Magic w/PennyShaq, Utah, Houston, and so on. Of each 15 classics, a star player is the logo, with explanation; ex: John Stockton leads the 97-98 Jazz playoff game over the Lakers. Each time you can win one of these challenges you unlock the teams (team played as and against). I love this, as I've gotten all the teams, 30 (but multiple Bulls), so I created an Association with 20 classic teams and the best 10 teams in the NBA currently (with some stars added to 10 teams in league). Great fun!

So many game modes, even Practice is great, as well as "Training Camp" which shows off the new controls and amazing POST MOVES. They have revamped it to where defense is key, but having an inside post-game is key as well, giving you individual and unique moves in the post, with a large array. The game is played flawlessly when played correctly.

Online versus games are solid and not bad in terms of lag. Players are ok, some are cheesers (harder to cheese now though, I beat most with charges and slowing it up), but overall solid versus. But after that I don't understand what 2k was thinking. 2k11's best mode was CREWS, being able to add friends to a team/crew you created and playing others in ranked games 5 on 5. They've completely taken out crewmode, which allowed you to use your My Player you have created over time... which seems the whole point. Hell, can't even use your Player online AT ALL, not even a pickup game.

As for the pickup games online, they are mediocre at best. The lag is quite bad, the matchmaking is weak, the amount of disconnects is huge, and you can't use your my player. Get some friends together and start a team up and hope you're put on the same team is your best bet.... stats kept are quite bad because of the servers.

2k please FIX your servers for next year and add crews. This game is nearly flawless but as an offline game.

Deserves a 10/10 but the online matchmaking is weak and there are NO CREWS and My Player is improved, yet you can never use him online in a game with others.
  7. Oct 25, 2011
    Most definitely the best sports game I have ever played. The ONE, single problem is the lack of quality 2K servers. Game-after-game their servers have underperformed. Anyways, I recommend this to anyone who plays sports video games.
  8. Oct 28, 2011
    reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy ****
  9. Nov 9, 2011
    This game made my life change (I'm being sarcastic). The game has the best graphics I have ever seen on a basketball game. The graphics are extremely accurate and the gameplay feels amazing. Enough said. Go get this game NOW!!!
  10. Nov 10, 2011
    This game sets the standard for all other sports titles. I only wish this exact development team could make a football title. They know how to bring TV to sports games.
  11. Nov 10, 2011
    this is the best basketball game i have ever played. the myplayer mode is alot of fun and the number of historic teams and players means hours of fun.
  12. Nov 13, 2011
    The lockout does not hold this title back. 2K improved on their NBA franchise in every way this year, from details like getting every player's tattoos true to life, to the big picture like post-move mechanics, overall presentation, and general smoothness of play, nothing, and I mean NOTHING is worse than 2K11. Given that NBA 2K11 was the greatest sports game ever created during its reign, there's no reason to deny this iteration the mantle. Expand
  13. Nov 16, 2011
    Thd best sports game i have ever played! I am not even that big a fan of basketball, I bought mostly because of the legend teams. This game is nothing short of amazing. Bfrom the graphics, to the calling of the game.....nothing else comes close.
  14. Nov 21, 2011
    Just amazing. 2K Sports did it again delivering an NBA game in for the long haul. The new interface is easier to move around and the new character design is great. The new physics for the game took a while for me to get used to but it delivered an even playing field for all teams. Being able to play as all the greatest players who has set foot on a basketball court made me rethink about MJ being the best Basketball player of all time. Plus the old TV effects are perfect. Not distracting but still feels like your playing a game in the 1960's. This game is worth a buy for all NBA fans but i discourage buying it now since the NBA is in lockout and there are no roster updates etc. But hell, its still great and i think its worth every penny. Expand
  15. Feb 14, 2012
    Beside fifa, 2k12 is leading the way for sports games. The thing I like most about nba 2k12 is that it takes a lot of practice to actually get decent. So in the end you really do know who is better at the game and who needs practice.
  16. May 2, 2012
    Outstanding job by 2k, great updated graphics, new 2k share is awesome, great menu, great gameplay, great commentary, and all of the above. One of the best sports games ive ever played.
  17. Sep 17, 2012
    The best sports game out there. Its better than Madden and I really don't know if its better than FIFA but NBA 2K12 improves on everything 2K11 does and does it even better. 2K is now the king of basketball games.
  18. Mar 4, 2013
    Great and awesome game with wonderful features. My favorite one is the updates on trades and actual games in the season. A usual good game part of the 2k series.
  19. Rem
    Jul 10, 2013
    Nba 2k12 manages to prove that not only it can improve upon its predecessor, but it shows that this is the best version of basketball simulation to date. The presentation is improved significantly from 2k11, as I would sometimes mistake it for a real game on Tuesday night. The players animate better, and I found the controls easier to come into wit the new shot stick mechanic. What I remember most though, it the new My Player mode, which easily trumps 2k11's version. All in all, 2k12 proves that anyone can enjoy basketball. (probably not) Expand
  20. Oct 9, 2011
    Presentation/Graphics
    Sound
    Lasting appeal:

1. Jan 31, 2012
    NBA 2K12 is definitely a game any basketball fan should own and a game that will keep you occupied until 2K13 is released at a minimum. If I had more online friends who played the game I know I would have enjoyed the online experience more than I did, so it's definitely a game you should check out if you know a few friends who would also play. Casual sports gamers should at least rent this game and see if it tickles your fancy. Swoosh!
  2. Nov 20, 2011
    Slightly rocky in-game mechanics just stop this from slamdunking the competition. [Christmas 2011, p.65]
  3. Nov 15, 2011