4.8

1. Dec 21, 2014
    I love playing basketball but this game cant make me feel like I do when I play on the pitch and is so boring and I hate the game because it is so weird and so unenjoyeble
  2. Sep 14, 2014
    I like this game. It has amazing graphics and dunks. The variety of gameplays including association etc. I don't like the gameplay against he computer at all. The computer begins controlling your player. It doesn't allow you to play good defense. If the computer is going to the basket, several things happen. Your big man WILL foul, your big man will not jump to his capabilities, or yourI like this game. It has amazing graphics and dunks. The variety of gameplays including association etc. I don't like the gameplay against he computer at all. The computer begins controlling your player. It doesn't allow you to play good defense. If the computer is going to the basket, several things happen. Your big man WILL foul, your big man will not jump to his capabilities, or your player, you are controlling, will literally be prevented from playing defense. The computer will not allow you to approach the ball handler, therefore leaving an open lane to score, or your player will be slowed down tremendously, leaving the ball handler room for an easy bucket. I was upset just now, because I was having a good game and it happened again so I quit playing. Yes when I am playing defense and I go for a block the reaction time is we to slow. Its programmed to be too late. Real basketball players know how much defense wins games, if video game cannot play offense as well as I can defend then maybe new programmers is a must. Sorry to say that. I really don't like a computer controlled ball handler gets by my defender and attacks the basket, I react by switching players and I manage to get the next defender closest to the basket and I cant control him no matter what I do until the ball handler is too close to stop the play. The players I pick have high awareness for both offense and defense. When I pick him he continues to try boxing out the guy like hes making room for the ball handler. Ive had my own player literally block me from defending the basket. Imagine that. Programmers make the game, and the plays are really REALLY good. But I play really REALLY R.E.A.L.L.Y.! good defense. But I cant display my defense because of the way the game is programmed. Just try to concentrate on getting those things and the BUYER (who are most important people) can have something good to say about next years game. Expand
  3. ajl
    Jul 8, 2014
    I have some good and some bad feelings when it comes to this game, but more bad. The game play is almost the exact same as 2k13. The AI defenders are way too smart, and way too good. while the AI teammates are terrible. I get lucky if i have 2 teammates that can score. The dribble moves are terrible, as the AI just steps into you and you almost fall over or go out of bounds. The MyCareerI have some good and some bad feelings when it comes to this game, but more bad. The game play is almost the exact same as 2k13. The AI defenders are way too smart, and way too good. while the AI teammates are terrible. I get lucky if i have 2 teammates that can score. The dribble moves are terrible, as the AI just steps into you and you almost fall over or go out of bounds. The MyCareer is the exact, EXACT same as 2k13, except the gear. Now I have to manually change the color of my headband and arm sleeves and whatnot before every game. Now, on to the good stuff. Dunks can be blocked. Expand
  4. Jun 27, 2014
    When I grabbed 2k14 for xbox360, I thought that I would be getting a major upgrade from 2k13 both graphically and gameplay wise. Neither of my expectations pulled through.

I bought NBA so that I could play this amazing new My Career update that I had seen in youtube videos and trailers and even from my friends on the Xbox one, but low and behold, they literally only focused on the Xbox one version. The my career is almost copy and pasted from one to the other. Don't even get me started on how bad the "Lebron Road to Greatness" mode is, it is only a promotion to Lebron and fantasizing about how good he will get so that all the people who love Lebron will play the game.

There were no notable things added to this game in my humble opinion, the only change that I felt was that the dribble controls were better.
  5. Jun 18, 2014
    How can anyone give this game a score higher then 5? It feels unfinished. Graphics are terrible. Seriously. A.I. in career mode is dumb. I've never seen so many kickballs/goaltendings/out of bounds/ shooting fouls in any basketball game. The AI sometimes just dribbles out of bounds. Your own team mates will screen you out, and your player will score, and penalize you for it. MY CharacterHow can anyone give this game a score higher then 5? It feels unfinished. Graphics are terrible. Seriously. A.I. in career mode is dumb. I've never seen so many kickballs/goaltendings/out of bounds/ shooting fouls in any basketball game. The AI sometimes just dribbles out of bounds. Your own team mates will screen you out, and your player will score, and penalize you for it. MY Character has maxed out 3pt shooting and consitency with all the signature skills and STILL misses shots when he's wide open with an A+ release. Everytime you call for a pass, it's a bad call for a pass, even if I'm wide open with no defenders in between.

The ball rolls out of play and it takes 35 seconds for a player to run to it, and run it back. Seriously, this is 2014... why are there so many dumb glitches like this.

And then we have Blacktop, which was a cool idea, and the only reason it gets a 2 from me. But even then, it gets dumb. Why would the match you up with 2 other PG's when you yourself are a PG, and on the other team, you have a PF PG and C. Of course ima lose, all they do is throw it inside and dunk. NBA 2k13 was better.

The critics apparently aren't playing the same game I am... I got an A+ rating with 35 pts, 6 rebounds, 2 steals, 1 block, shot 65% form the field and 75% from 3 point range... and guess what I got drafted... Go ahead, guess... 25th! WTF!!!!!!!! For sure one of those teams could have using a SG like me, yet... 24 teams passed on me. This game makes me laugh.
  6. Jun 3, 2014
    Buying any of the nba2k games between 2010-2014 it's basically buying the same game, yes they make some miner changes, hardly anything really maybe "upgrade the graphics" the only think that really changes is the menu haha, with the previous 2k games by making a difference they took out black top, and re added it to the next game, just WOW money hungry and just don't care. they havnt madeBuying any of the nba2k games between 2010-2014 it's basically buying the same game, yes they make some miner changes, hardly anything really maybe "upgrade the graphics" the only think that really changes is the menu haha, with the previous 2k games by making a difference they took out black top, and re added it to the next game, just WOW money hungry and just don't care. they havnt made any changes with 2k13 or 14. It's embarrassing... Maybe if they took the time to add different game modes in and change the layout. Even the achievements are the same through the years. But the game play is great, from the players stats to the commentaries when playing a game. If you havnt 2k13 or 12 I do recommend getting this. is it a good game just comparing the games.. Nothing much as changed. The online servers aren't the best either, they need to add in more then 3 online game types... :/ the lebron path to greatness is alright, hardly any effort into making that, that was the only new game type they added in. Well as I said this is a good game if you don't compare it... But if you do it's just an excuse to make more money. If you don't own a previous nba2k game get it :) Expand
  7. May 21, 2014
    NBA 2K14 is the exact same as NBA 2K13, don't get fooled like me seeing all the gameplay on youtube and thinking 'oh so cool' well it's not because 2k only care about next gen. If anything it's worse, they Changed the way to shoot and also removed the 5 minute option from the mycareer mode. The only reason I can give it a 3 is because I can still use some of my favorite dunks except theNBA 2K14 is the exact same as NBA 2K13, don't get fooled like me seeing all the gameplay on youtube and thinking 'oh so cool' well it's not because 2k only care about next gen. If anything it's worse, they Changed the way to shoot and also removed the 5 minute option from the mycareer mode. The only reason I can give it a 3 is because I can still use some of my favorite dunks except the 360 between the legs. The lazy people also couldn't be bothered to change who stared in the rookie game, Anthony Davies was in the rookie game in 2K13 aswell. The main point I'm trying to get out is that 2k just changed slight bits of the game as 'improvements' but clearly were not, such as music, backgrounds and more moustaches. Expand
  8. Apr 16, 2014
    Ante la nulidad por parte de EA de sacar un juego de baloncesto al menos decente, 2K Sport ha ido desmejorando su propio saga que alcanzó su punto álgido en la entrega de 2010, NBA 2K11. Y es que desde entonces y concretando con la de esta temporada, a los fallos históricos de la franquicia tales como la mala optimización en la versión de PC sin soporte para el cursor del ratón obligando aAnte la nulidad por parte de EA de sacar un juego de baloncesto al menos decente, 2K Sport ha ido desmejorando su propio saga que alcanzó su punto álgido en la entrega de 2010, NBA 2K11. Y es que desde entonces y concretando con la de esta temporada, a los fallos históricos de la franquicia tales como la mala optimización en la versión de PC sin soporte para el cursor del ratón obligando a jugar con mando, malos emparejamientos entre jugadores quedando ligados un base con un pívot con demasiada frecuencia, la mala personalización de los rookies en cada temporada que pasa y la nulidad de jugar con guiris al saberse estos todas las jugadas “chetadas”, se les suman las malas aportaciones de las últimas entregas: como la desaparición de la web para configurar ligas online obligando a jugar partidas contra equipos dirigidos por la máquina, que el juego ya no guarde todas las canastas de un partido para poder guardar las mejores jugadas, que cualquier jugador puede taponar a otro por detrás aunque le saque 20 centímetros o que los pívots se siguen cansando de una forma desproporcionada.
    Algunas cosas buenas hay, claro que sí. Pero hay que buscarlas en profundidad para encontrarlas, en vez de mostrarse por sí solas, , como una mayor importancia al contacto físico y a la habilidad de cada jugador.
  9. Apr 3, 2014
    By no means is NBA 2K14 perfect. Heck, by no means is NBA 2K14 great. But the game does improve slightly upon 2K13 in minor ways. Despite all the complaints about the Pro Stick, it isn't all that bad, certainly the previous 2K13 shooting and dribble move system was vastly better, but once you get the hang of it you get slightly adjusted.

The game does advance in the department of

The game does advance in the department of mycareer, yet is still lacking the essence of perfection as each iteration has; the essence that would cater to any scenario, and the ability to truly affect the design of your character from the beginning.

The shooting is where the game goes downhill; 2K admirably tried to tweak the overpowered 3 point shooting of 2K13, but have taken it to the point where even in training, a player ranked 99 in three point shooting will only make a third of his shots, regardless of timing. Also, 2 point shooting has become a mess, and I've discovered the only way I can 'consistently' score is to take the ball into the paint, despite fear of the new collision system knocking the ball away or fear of the redesigned shot blocking creating easy opportunities for opposing players to swat the ball out of my hands.

As previously noted the shot stick has left me fearing for the safety of the ball, and also instilling the question of the #$!@ 2K removed the brilliant previous system.

Next item on the agenda; Presentation. The visuals are virtually identical to 2K13, with minor enhancements. Yet it's the music that gets me, this is the kind of soundtrack that JayZ and his accompanying 2K13 team of Puff Daddy, Notorious BIG and assorted others would laugh at, the sort of soundtrack Kurtis Blow and the 2K12 soundtrack team would beat up in the playground. You see, these are Lebron James' favourite songs. So they aren't basketball related songs, and really, don't cater to a wide audience either. The whole idolisation of this game reminds of the personality cults communist leaders such as Mao Zedong or Joseph Stalin set up in the 20th Century, with the order of the day being complete and utter praise to the target of the cult.

Honestly if I could go back to 2K13 I would, but the minor improvements that 13 was lacking that are in 14 keep me playing. 7/10
  10. Apr 1, 2014
    I have this game since a few months now, i wasn't any good at it at the beginning, and i decided to keep playing it until i get how it works. Now i can judge what this game really is, its just disapointement, ads everywhere, never-ending loadings, even the music is not as perfect as the people say with bad taste tracks like imagine dragons =((puke). The game play is totally inconsistant, uI have this game since a few months now, i wasn't any good at it at the beginning, and i decided to keep playing it until i get how it works. Now i can judge what this game really is, its just disapointement, ads everywhere, never-ending loadings, even the music is not as perfect as the people say with bad taste tracks like imagine dragons =((puke). The game play is totally inconsistant, u never have any feedback of what you do, as you win or loose, the players in your team annoy you because they are just uncrossable obstacles! If NBA2K is the best basketball game it's because there's no other one basketball games, I hope new game dev's would be aware of it, i mean a huge place for a good basketball game is still waiting!! Expand
  11. Mar 24, 2014
    Overall, in my mind NBA 2K14 is an amazing game that is very enjoyable to play.

Game Description NBA 2K14 is the all new NBA basketball game for xbox 360. Developed by Visual Concepts, published by 2K Sports, and released on October 1, 2013, it came out with many different game modes for all new player enjoyment. The first new recognizable game mode is "Lebron Path to Greatness". You
    Overall, in my mind NBA 2K14 is an amazing game that is very enjoyable to play.

Game Description

NBA 2K14 is the all new NBA basketball game for xbox 360. Developed by Visual Concepts, published by 2K Sports, and released on October 1, 2013, it came out with many different game modes for all new player enjoyment. The first new recognizable game mode is "Lebron Path to Greatness". You play as Lebron James, a rising star in the NBA, and now arguably the best basketball player in the world, as he continues his reign of dominance in the NBA. You can also play in one of the most popular NBA 2K sports trilogies' modes, MyCareer. In MyCareer you create your own individualized player and play as them as a rookie trying to make it in the NBA. Get drafted, work your way up the depth chart, and carve your path to stardom in this incredibly fun way to see what it's like for an NBA player. After every game you answer questions from the media in press conferences. Give good answers and you can boost your team chemistry and your fan base. All of these come along with old game modes like season, playoffs, franchise, and others. Graphics are good and give any NBA fan an easy time recognizing their favorite players. I think that this game is very appropriate and has nothing that might lead it to be inappropriate for young kids that I can see. All in all it is is a great game!

Evaluation

I personally really enjoy this new game. I play this game all the time and love all the different game modes. Even though I like to play all of the modes, I particularly enjoy MyCareer. I personally really enjoy personalizing my character and playing my way to the top. It is incredibly fun to progress in the game and watch as your player rises to the top in the NBA. Many critics say that the game doesn't run well or that there were no improvements to the game from the last one, but I don't think so at all. I love NBA 2K14 way better than the past NBA 2K games and I love that I get to play as and against players that I know well in the NBA. Overall this game in my mind is great and I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to have fun!

This is one of my favorite games for xbox and it's super fun!
  12. Mar 21, 2014
    this game is honestly the worst installment of the nba 2k franchise. i am mainly going to focus on game play because everything else is literally the same (except lebron mode). you would be CRAZY to spend $60 on this game. it was rush sloppy and unresponsive. but my main problem is the shooting. i have found that i am releasing the ball perfectly with good three point shooters, but sadlythis game is honestly the worst installment of the nba 2k franchise. i am mainly going to focus on game play because everything else is literally the same (except lebron mode). you would be CRAZY to spend $60 on this game. it was rush sloppy and unresponsive. but my main problem is the shooting. i have found that i am releasing the ball perfectly with good three point shooters, but sadly the game refuses to allow the ball to go in. blocks and steals happen way too often, i am starting to become afraid of attempting a dunk or layup. because lord knows that **** gerald green is gonna come out of nowhere and block it against the backboard. this is my first time writing a review so i am going to make it as simple as possible. THIS GAME IS **** dont waste your money or your time. overall this game is a 2/10.THANK YOU 2K sports Expand
  13. Mar 20, 2014
    This game is definitely the best in the series, so far. No, gameplay is not intuitive. Yes, there are a ton of moves you can learn. There is a definite learning curve to this game, but if you take the time to learn the controls, it becomes a masterpiece. If you're looking to pick it up and play a game with your buddy who has never played, you'll be disappointed. If you're looking for aThis game is definitely the best in the series, so far. No, gameplay is not intuitive. Yes, there are a ton of moves you can learn. There is a definite learning curve to this game, but if you take the time to learn the controls, it becomes a masterpiece. If you're looking to pick it up and play a game with your buddy who has never played, you'll be disappointed. If you're looking for a game that will keep you occupied for months, this is your game.
    Every complaint I've read can be dealt with either by practice or through the use of gameplay sliders (you can control nearly every aspect.) If you're not willing to put in the time to tweak a game that is infinitely customizable, that's a you problem, not a programming problem.
  14. Mar 14, 2014
    This game is VERY VERY disappointing , The Dribble Stick and The Shot Stick are combined so if you hold it for more than a second you launch the ball from where you stand . All player customization ( Sleeves,Headbands etc,..) are still being held captive for VC points , Botched steals and turnovers are caused by just touching a defender , The dribbling was downgraded as a whole , But theThis game is VERY VERY disappointing , The Dribble Stick and The Shot Stick are combined so if you hold it for more than a second you launch the ball from where you stand . All player customization ( Sleeves,Headbands etc,..) are still being held captive for VC points , Botched steals and turnovers are caused by just touching a defender , The dribbling was downgraded as a whole , But the only thing cool about this that there is better music and LeBron is the main attraction , but seriously take VC points away like seriously.. FAIL Expand
  15. Mar 12, 2014
    All i can say is WOW! I was actually expecting a way better game then this. I normally play NBA Live but since everyone made 2K14 such a big deal i actually decided to spend 60bucks on this game. The graphics are weak, sometimes i look at some of the players and they look not even close to the actual real players. The game play sucks, very sloppy, not challenging at all, very easy to stealAll i can say is WOW! I was actually expecting a way better game then this. I normally play NBA Live but since everyone made 2K14 such a big deal i actually decided to spend 60bucks on this game. The graphics are weak, sometimes i look at some of the players and they look not even close to the actual real players. The game play sucks, very sloppy, not challenging at all, very easy to steal or block a shot with out fouling, since i bought this game i dont think ive really missed a 3 pointer. I cant stand all the different controls just to play this game, and why do the guys run so damn slow on a fast break. This game needs alot of work. I was expecting way more from this game especially since everyone made such a big deal about it. I would have to say NBA LIVE is a better game this time around. Developers please get on your A game and create a better game then this. Talk to Jay-Z maybe he can help you guys out to. The only positive i can say about this game is the music is good. Expand
  16. Mar 7, 2014
    This game is one of the worst nba games to ever come out. This games my career and my player is horrible. You can't create 2 different my players. This is **** This **** game doesn't play like the nba teams do. For example, the Clippers were vs the Cavs. The Cavs got 30 offensive rebounds and me the Clippers got 6 **** offensive rebounds. **** this game and the makers. Such **** game
  17. Mar 5, 2014
    I generally did not find this game fun at all. with maxed out ratings on my character and perfectly timing my jump-shots, I was missing wide open shots, it seems they did not make any improvements just made the game less enjoyable and harder. I would recommend spending your money on another game or the next gen version which is very fun. I don't know why they even bothered making a currentI generally did not find this game fun at all. with maxed out ratings on my character and perfectly timing my jump-shots, I was missing wide open shots, it seems they did not make any improvements just made the game less enjoyable and harder. I would recommend spending your money on another game or the next gen version which is very fun. I don't know why they even bothered making a current gen version Expand
  18. Feb 16, 2014
    I'm utterly shocked anyone is giving this even mixed ratings! I've seen better games graphically than this since 2006! It looks like rubbish for the most part. The learning curve on this is disgusting! And by that I mean that this game should be accessible to people who know nothing of NBA basket ball. And even for someone like me who knows the basics this is shockingly bad. My opposingI'm utterly shocked anyone is giving this even mixed ratings! I've seen better games graphically than this since 2006! It looks like rubbish for the most part. The learning curve on this is disgusting! And by that I mean that this game should be accessible to people who know nothing of NBA basket ball. And even for someone like me who knows the basics this is shockingly bad. My opposing player switches almost at random and sometimes seems to do so as they dunk so my rating is poorly affected. If I'd not purchased this game digitally on a youtubers recommendation I'd be returning it for a refund.

All in all a poor game at best with much reduced features from the newest gen consoles. A lot of the story elements are removed yet a god like or moronic AI seems rampant.
  19. Feb 8, 2014
    DO NOT TRUST THE OFFICIAL CRITICS. This game made me waste $100, $60 for the actual game and $40 for the new controller I had to buy because I threw my old one through my window. How this got a better rating than Call of Duty: Ghosts, I will never understand. Let's start with the Shot Feedback system. You can have a player who has a 99 rating on his 3-point shot, have an excellent releaseDO NOT TRUST THE OFFICIAL CRITICS. This game made me waste $100, $60 for the actual game and $40 for the new controller I had to buy because I threw my old one through my window. How this got a better rating than Call of Duty: Ghosts, I will never understand. Let's start with the Shot Feedback system. You can have a player who has a 99 rating on his 3-point shot, have an excellent release on your shot, get an A+ quality, and air-ball. Now to MyTeam. Unless you want to pay the Antichrist, known as Ronnie 2K, your hard-earned money, you essentially have to endure losing OVER and OVER again. My first game, I had all bronze players and got matched with someone who had MJ, Kobe, and Lebron among others. And speaking of Lebron, why is he on the cover? Isn't he supposed to be rivaling MJ for "The Greatest Player Ever"? MJ was on the cover of NBA 2K11, and I enjoyed THAT game more than I have this game. I gave this game a 1 because it has infinite room for improvement (that only being said because it is so bad). This game single-handedly ruined the franchise for me. I realize that 2K was focusing on next-gen, but I have never seen an annual series actually get WORSE from one year to the next like this has. I've seen next-gen game play and, I have to say, I am impressed, but 2K just made a photocopy of 2K13, set it in the wild, let a pack of wolves **** on it, and called it NBA 2K14. Expand
  20. Jan 28, 2014
    This game could use a little more maintenance on the AI and its gameplay. I do understand why this game is practically the same as NBA 2k13 just with an updated rosters. But just because you release the same game on current and next generation consoles, does not me you make the current game crappier than the next-gen game.
  21. Jan 14, 2014
    I WOULD RECOMMEND THIS GAME TO ANYONE WHO WAS DECIDING TO BUY IT. THIS IS THE BEST 2K BY FAR. THE ONLY THING BAD ABOUT THE GAME IS THE MUSIC, BECAUSE THERE AREN'T ALOT OF SELECTIONS TO CHOOSE FROm.
  22. Jan 11, 2014
    If the goal in making this game was to ruin the franchise, they are well on their way. The gameplay isn't intuitive, rebounding is ridiculous, and your player's movements/motions are usually a solid half to full second behind you commands. Also, the right stick control for special moves, cross overs, etc. is just terrible. 2013 was solid enough, but 2014 offers zero improvement, and inIf the goal in making this game was to ruin the franchise, they are well on their way. The gameplay isn't intuitive, rebounding is ridiculous, and your player's movements/motions are usually a solid half to full second behind you commands. Also, the right stick control for special moves, cross overs, etc. is just terrible. 2013 was solid enough, but 2014 offers zero improvement, and in fact took a serious step backwards. Anyone giving this game a 9 or 10 is out of their mind. Expand
  23. Jan 9, 2014
    I was very excited for this game as I was a loyal customer ever since EA nuked NBA Live. I was severely disappointed as the controls are tragically downgraded to the point where it is not fun any more. Any point guard or player in the game no matter ball security or dribbling rating lose the ball when creating contact with another player. Alley-oops are extremely over-powered, dribblingI was very excited for this game as I was a loyal customer ever since EA nuked NBA Live. I was severely disappointed as the controls are tragically downgraded to the point where it is not fun any more. Any point guard or player in the game no matter ball security or dribbling rating lose the ball when creating contact with another player. Alley-oops are extremely over-powered, dribbling is atrocious as you can be using the trick stick and automatically attempt a shot if you hold the stick in one direction for too long (millisecond), shooting is completely useless as I have had three A+'s in a row during a game and all three miss. The fast break is one of the only ways to get easy baskets. The only upgrade from 2k14 from 13 is the soundtrack other than that it is a steep downgrade and should be up for worst games of '13-'14. To be honest nothing really works as it should, 50% of the time when dribbling to the paint your point guard loses the ball, and even if you would try to pass it would just get deflected anyway. The only reason that I am giving it a 1 is because LeBron finally gets what he deserves with a cover. Expand
  24. Jan 5, 2014
    As a devoted fan of 2K I am extremely let down by the limits placed on 14'. It is a video game for the reason. When you max your attributes you shouldn't be missing half of the wide open 3's you attempt. I enjoy the new stick controls because they are so much more convenient. I miss however being able to pull up and hit shots wherever on the court. It's supposed to be unrealistic, it is aAs a devoted fan of 2K I am extremely let down by the limits placed on 14'. It is a video game for the reason. When you max your attributes you shouldn't be missing half of the wide open 3's you attempt. I enjoy the new stick controls because they are so much more convenient. I miss however being able to pull up and hit shots wherever on the court. It's supposed to be unrealistic, it is a video game for a reason. Another thing I have a problem with is how on Hall of Fame, one cannot simply stop the Heat. Players like Derrick Rose and Lebron are have attributes with 99 maximum's while you are only allowed 90 or 92 at the highest. The computers are way to overpowered as I try to make a pass with maximum ball handling, pass, and dimer against the Heat and 9 times out of 10 it gets tipped.. What I am asking is that make the game universal to for attributes either lower the players or raise the max on my players. Expand
  25. Jan 2, 2014
    Absolutely terrible with its servers, servers have been down for 2 months and not one bothered to fix it permanently also 2k has not even addressed the issue until recently but there is still no visible work done to help
  26. Jan 1, 2014
    This game doesn't even make sense. Your MyPlayer sucks no matter how high his attributes are. You just randomly lose the ball at random times. The AI WILL win no matter what you do. This game sucks. I'm getting my money back.
  27. Dec 31, 2013
    This game ruined all of my hopes. You lose the ball if they barely even touch it. The Pro Stick is a good idea but it still needs a lot of work. The my career is impossible. I am a 99 overall and I cant hit an open three unless i have perfect timing. The defense in My Career is retarded they will glitch into position to cut you off. Trust me i've played since 2k8. My friend spent $30 onThis game ruined all of my hopes. You lose the ball if they barely even touch it. The Pro Stick is a good idea but it still needs a lot of work. The my career is impossible. I am a 99 overall and I cant hit an open three unless i have perfect timing. The defense in My Career is retarded they will glitch into position to cut you off. Trust me i've played since 2k8. My friend spent $30 on his my career maxed out all his stats and still only averages 9 points a game. Not worth $60. Expand
  28. Dec 30, 2013
    THIS GAME IS THE ABSOLUTE BIGGEST WASTE OF MONEY ANYONE COULD EVER SPEND. GET A DAMN REFUND AND BUY A GOOD FREAKING GAME. IF I COULD USE ONE WORD TO DESCRIBE THIS GAME IS "RETARDED". THE SHOT FEEDBACK HAS NO EFFECT WHATSOEVER, AND THE CONTROLS WENT FROM SPOTLESS IN 2K13 TO GODAWFUL IN 2K14. THIS DEMONIC, RETARDED SPAWN OF A GAME THAT SATAN WANTS YOU TO PLAY. WHATEVER YOU DO, AVOID THISTHIS GAME IS THE ABSOLUTE BIGGEST WASTE OF MONEY ANYONE COULD EVER SPEND. GET A DAMN REFUND AND BUY A GOOD FREAKING GAME. IF I COULD USE ONE WORD TO DESCRIBE THIS GAME IS "RETARDED". THE SHOT FEEDBACK HAS NO EFFECT WHATSOEVER, AND THE CONTROLS WENT FROM SPOTLESS IN 2K13 TO GODAWFUL IN 2K14. THIS DEMONIC, RETARDED SPAWN OF A GAME THAT SATAN WANTS YOU TO PLAY. WHATEVER YOU DO, AVOID THIS SOILING OF THE 2K BRAND NAME. BUY 2K13. THIS GAME BELONGS IN THE VIDEO GAME HALL OF SHAME, WITH CLASSICS LIKE E.T, SONIC 2006, SUPERMAN 64, AND OTHER LOVELY AGAIN, BURY THIS GAME IN ARIZONA, GET A REFUND, AND BUY 2K13. DO YOU KNOW WHY LeBRON MADE THE COVER? BECAUSE THEY KNEW THE GAME WAS TERRIBLE, AND THEY SAID, "WHY THE HELL NOT? THIS'LL MAKE PEOPLE LIKE LeBRON MORE!!!" *INSERT MANIACAL LAUGHTER*. Expand
  29. Dec 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First off the shooting it's terrible it's so hard to find a shooting form that works for you they should have just kept the same shooting forms from 2k13 & the dribbling is the worst how your team can just kick the damn ball it's super sloppy & their are overrated players on here that really suck ass & they underrated some of the allstar players oh wait here comes meta world peace with a crossover step back jumper lol besides that I like the blocking but they over exaggerated with that too & defense sucks ass ok I'm done here 2k13 still better just my opinion. Expand
  30. Dec 30, 2013
    I couldnt work out how to throw a ball into the circle so its very hard but the people are pretty good at defending you so it hard to win but yeah i dont know how to play
  31. Dec 26, 2013
    The game glitches after the dunk contest and makes me skip the rest of the season and its really annoying has done it 3 seasons in a row....other then that it is a really fun game
  32. Dec 20, 2013
    this is a great game i just don't understand why when i got traded to the clippers in my career the whole stadium is black and i cant see the hoop so its really hard to play like that.
  33. Dec 18, 2013
    Still plays a great game of basketball, but it really is a rehash this year. Same bugs, same Megadrive quality Chandler Parsons face. Myplayer totally unchanged.
  34. Dec 11, 2013
    This game is a testament to how lazy 2k had gotten. The collision is bad control of your player which is a problem its had for a while still not fixed the delayed reaction timing, the cheese is ultra bad on here its so easy to reach and get steals to
    .you could spam the steal button all game and gaurauntee more steals than fouls. The defense is just horrible I mean you can't stay on your man for anything in the world due to the late reactions. When you get left you can't defend the rim because you always click to the man who can't make the play for some odd reason.the passing still sucks badly. The double team is overpowered blocking is overpowered. The pro stick sucks its still not reactive as it should be. I give live credit for that when it came to fluidity live was supererb I don't understand how critics call this fluid smh..the moves barely go together half the time. No reason for a flop button cause it doesn't work. This as far as gameplay is worst 2k ever btw who cares about EURO LEAGUE COME ON 2K GAMEPLAY 1ST EXTRA STUFF 2ND
  35. Dec 8, 2013
    Every year they add a new mode and few tweaks But who is to say that is a bad thing.True basketball fans should always appreciate the realism in these animations for the 2k series. NBA Live will be serious comp. But 2k will always have their fans. If you call yourself a fan of the sport you should not be rating this a 5. people complain either way. If they stripped down the engine startedEvery year they add a new mode and few tweaks But who is to say that is a bad thing.True basketball fans should always appreciate the realism in these animations for the 2k series. NBA Live will be serious comp. But 2k will always have their fans. If you call yourself a fan of the sport you should not be rating this a 5. people complain either way. If they stripped down the engine started fresh. People would complain and realize how smooth basketball was before. 2k14 is 2k13 with slight improvements but I like the fresh rosters,ratings, addition of pelicans. The Lebron mode is a nice little side mode to me. Get to live out possible futures for lebron. Example he is with the knicks right now in 2015 and he got hurt missed half season and we barely made 8seed so the goal is to make history and win title from 8 seed. Stuff like this are welcomed additions in my opinion. Honestly don't see how anyone could rate this any lower than a 8 maybe 7 at the lowest. But a 5 says it is a B rated game at best which is crazy to say. And to the dudes giving this a 0. You really need to grow up. if all you got is 2-3 negatives to the game there is now way that makes it a 0 (which means a completely unplayable piece of trash) so go give Thor the game a 0 or Harry Potter deathly Hallows for kinect those are unplayable trash. to me if all you can say is there are no major gameplay improvements but you liked 2k13 do not understand how u can completely hate this 1. Nba live always felt twitchy to me with b.s online servers Expand
  36. Dec 7, 2013
    All sports games are the same. They update the roster and graphics and release. There is no reason this should get anything above a 3 or 4. Everything about this game screams outdated. Basketball physics are poor, anyone who truly knows the sport should be able to point out inaccuracy. Don't take anyone's word on this who rates this highly, i wouldn't recommend this game to anyone, if youAll sports games are the same. They update the roster and graphics and release. There is no reason this should get anything above a 3 or 4. Everything about this game screams outdated. Basketball physics are poor, anyone who truly knows the sport should be able to point out inaccuracy. Don't take anyone's word on this who rates this highly, i wouldn't recommend this game to anyone, if you want a basketball game you can pick up 2k 07 for 50 cents, no reason to buy this for 60 dollars; they're practically the same game. Expand
  37. Dec 6, 2013
    As a die hard sports gamer, this basketball franchise has showed a ton of potential over the years, but unfortunately it has fallen victim of the "Madden Syndrome". Lack of innovation, better physics, and quality of gameplay. Game has plateaued. Got tired of playing it a few hours in.
  38. ERB
    Nov 22, 2013
    I highly recommend you guys to buy this game.NBA 2K14 is a fun game.Especially the game play.It is fun and it is also entertaining.NBA 2K14 is so far the best 2K title of It's generation.Although there weren't some improvements in the graphics and it is clearly identical to last year's 2K13 but still that doesn't matter.The dunks and moves in this game looks cool and it is way more betterI highly recommend you guys to buy this game.NBA 2K14 is a fun game.Especially the game play.It is fun and it is also entertaining.NBA 2K14 is so far the best 2K title of It's generation.Although there weren't some improvements in the graphics and it is clearly identical to last year's 2K13 but still that doesn't matter.The dunks and moves in this game looks cool and it is way more better than the other 2K titles.You can also make your own characters and even make a basketball team in this game.You can also choose what kind of dunk your player will do and the Historical Jordan dunk is really awesome.Even the Historical Drexler dunk is also awesome.This game rocks so It gets a 8/10 from me because of the game play.So I recommend you gamers to buy this new game and try playing It and I bet that you will have a fun time with this game. Expand
  39. Nov 17, 2013
    So let me begin with my perspective coming into this game. I recently found my old NBA 2K9 game in the back of my game shelf and decided to play it. I had completely forgotten how much fun it was! The controls were tight, graphics were solid (for a game released in '08), team selection was awesome (50's-90's all-star teams), and the blackcourt mode was perfect. Three point competitionsSo let me begin with my perspective coming into this game. I recently found my old NBA 2K9 game in the back of my game shelf and decided to play it. I had completely forgotten how much fun it was! The controls were tight, graphics were solid (for a game released in '08), team selection was awesome (50's-90's all-star teams), and the blackcourt mode was perfect. Three point competitions between ray allen, larry bird, reggie miller, and shaq...fun as hell! The pickup basketballs games were also an awesome feature and me and my buddies played them for hours.

So fast forward to a few days ago when i was checking out the games at redbox. I happened to see they had 2K14 out so i immediately rented it. Now mind you, 2K9 was the last game in the series I played so I was really anxious to see what had been done. I put the game in and immediately jump into a quick game....and I immediately am dissapointed. IN 5 YEARS the game looks exactly the same! Me and my friend actually commented that the graphics looked kinda worse! The controls were clunky, as they bloated the hell out of them with a million fancifications (my own word) you can do, and I couldn't even get Michael Jordan to f***in dunk! They gutted the blackcourt mode which pissed me off the most, and in the version they do have you can't even pick Dr. J or MJ for your damn team! The Lebron thing I didn't really get into but it looked pretty stupid, I was too pissed to play it and returned the game within a few hours.

VERDICT:
    In the 5 years since 2K9, the game has just gotten worse in gameplay, graphics, and content. I don't understand the positive reviews for this game that it is getting in the press. The game blows, and I'd recommend 2K9 as it's actually a great game. To close, 2K sports is just cashing in each year on the same game (or worse) with new rosters, DONT BUY IT!
  40. Nov 16, 2013
    This is the exact same game as 2k13, but with improved gameplay. Both good and bad. The gameplay changes add a lot of fun and realism, but that's it. Nothing else has changed except for the rosters and a couple of new lame modes. The new Lebron mode, for example, feels unfinished and forced. The next-gen version looks like 2k16, better in every way. I have to say, this game was aThis is the exact same game as 2k13, but with improved gameplay. Both good and bad. The gameplay changes add a lot of fun and realism, but that's it. Nothing else has changed except for the rosters and a couple of new lame modes. The new Lebron mode, for example, feels unfinished and forced. The next-gen version looks like 2k16, better in every way. I have to say, this game was a disappointment, but still well put together and fun for a bit. Expand
  41. Nov 13, 2013
    I see some changes from 2k13...
    Now the players are dumber.
    I have my opponents just standing for 15 sec., than simply throwing the ball away..
    Sometimes they run in the back court for no reason. Also I don't like the new shooting motion not all players jump when shoot.
    The game just does not feel like a quality product.. I'd rather play 2k13...
  42. Nov 4, 2013
    I started at 2k12, so I'm not so OG. But I do consider myself a hardcore basketball fan. I play a couple times a week IRL, watch as many games as I can (though I don't get a lot of channels on the TV) and always get pretty hard into 2k's association mode every year. I use modified sliders and rosters, which 2k supports with 2k share. I've heard the game is pretty solid out of the boxI started at 2k12, so I'm not so OG. But I do consider myself a hardcore basketball fan. I play a couple times a week IRL, watch as many games as I can (though I don't get a lot of channels on the TV) and always get pretty hard into 2k's association mode every year. I use modified sliders and rosters, which 2k supports with 2k share. I've heard the game is pretty solid out of the box without any modifications like that though. As far as the gameplay goes (since they haven't really changed the presentation since I've started playing), they changed it enough, but not too much, too warrant an appreciative rating. My biggest problem last year was the arcade feel. In-traffic dunks were frequent, easy, unrealistic, and ridiculous. This year it's hard to get more than 5 or so a game. I love that. There's cheap $hit as always, psychic AI, rubberband AI, buzzer-beaters going in way too often, but some of that might be slider tweaks I could fix. I really shouldn't have to tweak all this to make 2k an uber-realistic basketball sim, but at least they give us the tools to do it. All the modes are pretty much the same copy paste job, so I'm only giving this an 8, but the gameplay is probably a 9. I pity the impatient people who call this the same gameplay as 2k13, maybe on default it is, but if you're hardcore sim, this game is so much better. Expand
  43. Nov 2, 2013
    So well i see a lot of you are dissapionted of this game because it does not have any improvment...you are right about that but still it is a good game.In my view of things it is better than 2013 it fills a little bit more alive,and i know there is nothing new here but stil you can give it a shot.For me it is a little bit better than nba 2k13 and i loved that game.i was dissapionted butSo well i see a lot of you are dissapionted of this game because it does not have any improvment...you are right about that but still it is a good game.In my view of things it is better than 2013 it fills a little bit more alive,and i know there is nothing new here but stil you can give it a shot.For me it is a little bit better than nba 2k13 and i loved that game.i was dissapionted but not at the point to give it a 0 or a 2...The game is going to look better on next gen...be patient and buy it for the new consoles for me it is a 7 i am not so dissapointed but in the same time not so fullfiled....i love it but it could be better so i give it a 7/10 as my final verdict.. Expand
  44. Nov 2, 2013
    Its a decent game but it doesnt deserve a 9 or an 8!Its just the same game as 2k13 and 2k13 was pretty fun.Lets see what the next-gen 2k will be like.
  45. Oct 30, 2013
    This game was obviously rushed. The presentation, visuals, and gameplay are exactly the same as NBA 2k13. NBA 2k14 brings nothing new to the table and is absolutely not worth $60. However, unlike Madden, NBA 2k has always been a great gaming franchise. 2k usually changes some aspects of their NBA games, however, this one has made no changes whatsoever and I suggest you stick with NBA 2k13This game was obviously rushed. The presentation, visuals, and gameplay are exactly the same as NBA 2k13. NBA 2k14 brings nothing new to the table and is absolutely not worth $60. However, unlike Madden, NBA 2k has always been a great gaming franchise. 2k usually changes some aspects of their NBA games, however, this one has made no changes whatsoever and I suggest you stick with NBA 2k13 until you get a next-gen copy of the game, if you are getting a next-gen copy. Expand
  46. Oct 27, 2013
    This game is very very bad. When one of the worse defenders in the league if slowing down a player rated 99 something gotta give. A.i teammates are d stupid and most of the time just stand still not setting screens when you pass like the cpu ai.does. When you run plays the CPU ai know the position your trying to get to before you. Wide open missed shots on perfect release. Wider openThis game is very very bad. When one of the worse defenders in the league if slowing down a player rated 99 something gotta give. A.i teammates are d stupid and most of the time just stand still not setting screens when you pass like the cpu ai.does. When you run plays the CPU ai know the position your trying to get to before you. Wide open missed shots on perfect release. Wider open missed layups. My player moves on its own. Setting double teams is impossible. Ai teammates will move in front of you when trying to catch up on defense. 6/10 when trying to drive he pulls up for a dud shot. Intense D is a set up for u to be blown passed Expand
  47. Oct 26, 2013
    I've been playing NBA2K since 2K5 and I have to say this might be the worst 2K ever. The only good thing that came in gameplay is the ability to block shots. But the rest of the gameplay is terrible, such as an excessive amount of free throws, missed wide open shots, and the sloppy play of the game in general. Player ratings are not accurate and players who cannot shoot in real life canI've been playing NBA2K since 2K5 and I have to say this might be the worst 2K ever. The only good thing that came in gameplay is the ability to block shots. But the rest of the gameplay is terrible, such as an excessive amount of free throws, missed wide open shots, and the sloppy play of the game in general. Player ratings are not accurate and players who cannot shoot in real life can shoot on the game while players such as Ray Allen Steph Curry Steve Novak etc.. miss wide open shots. Hopefully next gen is better because this game is not good at all Expand
  48. Oct 24, 2013
    Broken online mode. 3 points is killing 1v1 matches. This game is Call of Duty in Sport Sims. All money spend on ADs. Game dont have any changes in this year too.
    (Обзор gamerstv.ru)
  49. Oct 23, 2013
    Improvements? Did anyone noticed any??? It looks like game haven't even been tested before release.
    Improvement(s) rather without s in the end. Maybe a little more realistic contact with other players. If nothing would have changed since 2k13 this feature would be great.
    However... It changed. A lot... 1) AI is stupid as never. Teammates shooting tightly guarded faders instead of wide
    However... It changed. A lot...
    1) AI is stupid as never. Teammates shooting tightly guarded faders instead of wide open shots right after the pick or a pass. IRON SPINE as I call it is when they can't bend to take the ball which is rolling under their feet sometimes even for couple of seconds. Thank God opponents are there to pick it up. Reaction time ERA. All the time I am trying to save loose ball or diving into stands, my teammates wont even try to catch it. The ball just bounces right back out of bounds from them.
    2) I am getting a bit confused if this is basketball or football game. I counted how many kicked ball violations occurs in one game. 13. That is right. 13!!! (And i don't even play 12min quarters). Most teams wont make that many in whole season. It appears that they are to lazy to pick up the ball so players just kick it.
    3) Goaltendings. It is just ridiculous. They are going after every shot. If you thin that 13 kicked balls is a lot wait for this number. 16!!! Seriously?
    4) 267) My carer player haven't played overtime. It looks like that if you have to play 40mins a game they just spread your playing time for four quarters and if it happens that your team have to play overtime there is no more time for you. 3 times already had to watch how my team looses..
    And much more minor bugs which gets really annoying after some playing time.
    So all in all this was my worst spent 60$. I've returned to 2k13 without even finishing 1st season. And probably gonna play previous version until Next Gen comes out.
  50. Oct 20, 2013
    I have been playing NBA 2k since 2k6 and this is easily the sloppiest installment of the game. Steals and loose balls everywhere, everything gets blocked without fouls, regularly missing 3 inch layups yet three pointers go in with out really needing to be open at all, balls bouncing off players everywhere, Defense in this years version has really just turned into button mashing hittingI have been playing NBA 2k since 2k6 and this is easily the sloppiest installment of the game. Steals and loose balls everywhere, everything gets blocked without fouls, regularly missing 3 inch layups yet three pointers go in with out really needing to be open at all, balls bouncing off players everywhere, Defense in this years version has really just turned into button mashing hitting the steal button as fast as you can because you are 10x more likely to get the steal than a foul. I understand they wanted more blocks since it was impossible to block anything in 2k13 but this is extreme over compensation. The only positives i can draw are the new controls and the appearance. Players look better performing moves and are more personalized. The game play however is pure slop. I'm sorry I'm not 10 years old and thinks basketball is all about jacking as many threes as you can regardless if it's a good shot or not; which seems to be what 2k is sort of going for Expand
  51. Oct 12, 2013
    Honestly, people who write a positive review to this game have either never played this title, a previous 2k title, or are being paid to do so. Overall gameplay stinks, literally NO improvements from 2k13, with a direct transfer of game modes, graphics and only small changes like soundtrack and user interface. The overhaul is actually in the CONTROL system, which makes it HARDER to pick upHonestly, people who write a positive review to this game have either never played this title, a previous 2k title, or are being paid to do so. Overall gameplay stinks, literally NO improvements from 2k13, with a direct transfer of game modes, graphics and only small changes like soundtrack and user interface. The overhaul is actually in the CONTROL system, which makes it HARDER to pick up especially from previous 2k games. There is literally NO tutorial on how to use these controls either. Worst game I've played all year. Expand
  52. Oct 12, 2013
    The game is about 90% the same as NBA 2K13, however the 10% difference is all bad differences. The pro stick was a horrible idea, the attribute caps is pathetic and LeBron path to greatness is horrible, I'm going to continue to play NBA 2K13
  53. Oct 11, 2013
    I play the game for the online play for the most part, and to represent my home town team. I thought lebron with his advertisements would have led this series into a new direction but it seems that all the players skins are all the same and only a few things have been changed. The shooting system is questionable and layups are almost unstoppable at some times. I still enjoy the game andI play the game for the online play for the most part, and to represent my home town team. I thought lebron with his advertisements would have led this series into a new direction but it seems that all the players skins are all the same and only a few things have been changed. The shooting system is questionable and layups are almost unstoppable at some times. I still enjoy the game and I'm glad I redboxed it lol if things don't get changed. Expand
  54. Oct 11, 2013
    Scoring NBA 2K14 is a controversial thing. The game is very much like 2K13, however it features many tweaks and control changes that, for the most part, improve the game. Graphics are obviously pushing the limit on X360, this game is so ready to jump to next gen. Presentation, slightly tweaked but much like 2K13. The soundtrack is much better, I had no issue with Jay Z, but theScoring NBA 2K14 is a controversial thing. The game is very much like 2K13, however it features many tweaks and control changes that, for the most part, improve the game. Graphics are obviously pushing the limit on X360, this game is so ready to jump to next gen. Presentation, slightly tweaked but much like 2K13. The soundtrack is much better, I had no issue with Jay Z, but the selection is better and more varied. As a B'ball purest, this year is by far the most accurate playing version. Previous years, the post players were completely ineffective at blocking shots and affecting guards layups. This year, defense overall is much improved. My player gameplay has been improved, but the AI players are not the brightest. My team is fun, they have included a schedule to play instead of the practice games vs the AI. Limited changes were made, but the changes that were made are positive. A great game, the pinnacle of sports games on the X360. Expand
  55. Oct 6, 2013
    I'm pretty sure 2k dev team is gearing up for next gen console, this looks like a carbon copy of 2K13 which was already a decline from 2K12. 2K11 and 12 are the pinnacle of this series on current gen consoles in my perception. Long Live the Lakers!!!
  56. Oct 4, 2013
    This is 2K13 with more LeBron James. No positive gameplay changes. No interesting new modes. They just recycled their last game like Madden does every year except they didnt add a single new thing to make the gameplay better as they have done for the previous titles. Disgraceful.
  57. Oct 4, 2013
    Anyone who is giving this game a 9 or 10 is either paid to do so or hasn't played the previous 2K basketball titles. I have been a fan of the series since 2K6. My main three beefs with this game. 1. There are no gameplay improvements from 2K13. 2. The game runs poorly on the xbox(choppy like a 1999 computer). 3. The game programmers focused so much on making sure the score stays close andAnyone who is giving this game a 9 or 10 is either paid to do so or hasn't played the previous 2K basketball titles. I have been a fan of the series since 2K6. My main three beefs with this game. 1. There are no gameplay improvements from 2K13. 2. The game runs poorly on the xbox(choppy like a 1999 computer). 3. The game programmers focused so much on making sure the score stays close and the AI dominates when they need to that it completely removes the concept of skill in the game.

The rest of the beefs i have with this game. Sometimes the game ignores my button commands(block, steal, shot release) or waits 2 seconds after i press the button to do them. I dont know if this is a result of the poor Xbox performance but i assume it is because the game either doesn't have an animation for a block, steal, or doesnt want me to release when i want to.

The opponent AI is either god-like perfect or three stooges dumb. They move faster than you(one step from teleportation). The rebounds bounce to them when the game needs the rebounds to bounce to them. They rarely miss free throws. The AI's actions are limited and scripted. They will do the same exact plays offensively and defensively until they score. There is nothing artificially intelligent about them. They will perform three point line alley oops on you all game. They guard you on ball as if they respond to your buttons faster than your dribbler does. Their three point shot percentage will be 90% 100% every game and their overall shot percentage will be 80%. It is the exact opposite when it comes to AI teammates. The 4 players you aren't controlling are just plain bad. It will make you mad. They don't jump for rebounds unless the game allows it. They don't defend half as good as the opponent AI defends. They don't go for steals even if the ball is passed THROUGH their bodies. They can't keep up with the opponent AI unless the game allows it. The game has too many scripted animations. Dribbling has taken a step backwards because some guy at 2K studios decided to enact a bunch of animations that you get sucked into when trying to dribble the ball. You will find yourself just randomly dropping the ball or kicking it or having one of your stupid teammates run into you at least 10 times a game.

The "Lebron" road to greatness is a bunch of It sucks. You play games over the years as time progresses with Lebron on the heat. You play the 2014 game 7 finals game. The 2015 game 7 finals game, etc, etc up until 2020. They change the rosters of Miami and the opponent drastically each year. By 2020, you're playing against the Dallas Mavericks who have 41 year old Kobe Bryant and a bunch of made up nobodies. It isn't worth of a mode and seems like its tacked on for Lebron publicity.

Overall, the game has too much control over the outcome of games and isn't even subtle about it. The added animations and tweaked gameplay takes the series three steps backwards as far as gameplay. They assumed Lebron was enough to sell the game instead of actually improving it. They're probably right. The series is going stale like Madden. R.I.P. NBA 2K. Don't spend $60 for this. At least i'll be able to sell this to some sucker on craigslist and get most of my money back.
  58. Oct 3, 2013
    As far as gameplay... Amazing graphics a little better than last year, only downside is stealing is way too easy. People just non-stop press steal button and take the ball. Its kind of like watching a hockey game with all the steals.
  59. Oct 3, 2013
    I have mixed feelings about this year's release in the NBA 2k series. On the one hand, I'm always happy to have the updated rosters and rookies. On the other, I don't feel like I've gotten the value of a new game that cost $60 tax and feels like NBA 2k13+ rather than NBA 2k14.

I specifically play the 2k series for the My Player/Career experience. I am not a fan of Lebron, and I will not be playing this year's new Lebron-centric mode. I do not consider the unique modes to be the best or most compelling aspects of the 2k series. I played through the Jordan challenges in 2k11, but put far more time into My Player than it took for me to complete Jordan's games. This review focuses on the aspect I play.

We'll start with the positives first. Some of the updates to the in-game mechanics are good. Player movement seems more fluid and smoother. I've found contact is called for a foul more realistically, i.e. if I go for a bad block attempt and land on top of my assigned man, I'm going to get called for it rather than sliding in next to him. It also seems like passes thrown are not as easily picked off by the AI (as opposed to previous years where any opponent within 10 feet had a good chance of getting the steal or deflection). Another good change is the quick play ability by holding left-bumper. I've never been much of a play caller, but this change makes it quick and easy.

The added diversity of special attributes available is also a welcome addition. More have been added, and there's even more of a strategic balance now between offensive, defensive and general abilities. Want to become the ultimate defensive stopper? You can load up on abilities that negate offensive abilities, increase your abilities to strip the ball during dribble moves, shots, and passes, and make you more difficult to get caught on a screen. The downside is you won't have much, if any, room for offensive abilities.

To shift into things I view as negatives, I'll start with something I'm ambivalent about: the new control scheme using the right-stick and other buttons. On the one hand, it's pretty easy to reliably do specific moves, like behind the backs, spins, etc. On the flipside, doing a hopstep, which in 2k13 was executed by pressing the B button, is now done either by double-tapping X, or in the context of a layup by holding right trigger and holding the right stick to the left or right. The main issue is that double-tapping X is not reliable at all. More often than not, My Player simply pulls up and pump-fakes. I much prefer using the B button. If I had to choose, I would still opt for the 2k13 control scheme, and it's getting a little tiring relearning the controls every year.

Now for the negatives.

The game development comes off as being somewhat lazy. The graphics don't appear to be upgraded at all. I played 2k13 and then 2k14 in front of someone else who plays 2k, and neither of us could tell the difference. Many of the audio files and commentary are carried over from the previous year. The post-game press conference questions and answers for My Player are literally identical from the previous year; same with the graphics (except for maybe the sponsor logo in the background). After listening to the 2k13 commentary for at least a couple hundred hours, it would have been nice to have totally fresh audio for the new game.

General player AI continues to be passable at best. If anything, they now step out of bounds more than before. They are also prone to shooting from behind the backboard when on the baseline, especially when close to the basket. And if I cut off the passing lane to my man, sometimes the AI will dribble the shotclock down to 0 with their center out at the 3pt line, and proceed to have said center hoist a 3 pointer he has no chance of making. These are all carryover issues from past games, but stepping out of bounds seems to have worsened. And just like in 2k13, the AI refuses to cover me at the 3pt line even with a rating of 85 from that range. You can literally sit outside and rain all day.

Mechanics that are not good:
    - Blocking is ridiculously unbalanced in this game. I have a rating of 35 block with a 6'7" PG/SG and average 4 per game. I can come from behind like Lebron on fast breaks and destroy lay up attempts. I also routinely block centers and PFs. This also leads to a large amount of goal-tending.
    - Driving the lane isn't worth the risk since you lose the ball very easily. The defense doesn't have to actively try to steal the ball so much as run into you.
    - The coaching is broken. I start at SG (with PG as my actual position) for OKC, and then at the end of games Russell Westbrook rides the bench while I play PG opting to put in a player (Jeremy Lamb) rated 20 pts lower.

All in all, NBA 2k14 is a very incremental upgrade over NBA 2k13 in the My Player/Career department. If you really want updated rosters and rookies, I'd recommend waiting until prices drop/picking up a used copy. Otherwise, pass.
  60. Oct 2, 2013
    Almost exactly the same game as 2k13, but not quite as polished (yet). There are better animations and better physics for player collisions, but other than that, the "additions" feel pretty much worthless. I don't care about the euroleague teams and the Lebron mode isn't even as good as the Jordan mode from 2k12.

Also, the gameplay has a number of annoying issues that I find rather

Also, the gameplay has a number of annoying issues that I find rather frustrating:
    1. Your players will occasionally throw a routine pass way off target for a turnover.
    2. Even the slightest collisions will sometimes cause your player to lose control of the ball.
    3. Stripping the ball on defense during a shot animation is WAY too easy now.
    4. AI players will step out of bounds with the ball ALL THE TIME. In fact, sometimes, they will step out of bounds while you passing it to them, charging you with a turnover.
    5. Blocking shots is WAY too easy. I realize it's "more fun," but it's just not realistic when Stephen Curry has 6 blocks and it's not even halftime. Also, shorter players will get their shots blocked way more often than in real life. I'm playing MyCareer on the Cavs, and Kyrie Irving, probably the best guard in the NBA at finishing around taller players, gets his shot blocked at least 3-5 times a game.
    6. This isn't an issue with the game, but I'm really annoyed that they totally changed the controls AGAIN. Last year, you needed to hold L Trigger to pull off a layup or dunk, and now if you hold that and hit X, it's an alley-oop pass. So instead of throwing down easy dunks sometimes, my muscle memory causes me to throw a wild pass in a random direction (usually for a turnover). STOP MESSING WITH THE CONTROLS.

Until this year, I would say the NBA 2K series has improved dramatically each year, but I'm just not feeling like they gave it much effort this year. I'm sure they will fix some of these annoying problems, but overall, I'm a bit disappointed. They really didn't add much to the game at all from last year.

Honestly, 2k13 is a better, more polished game right now. I'd maybe wait until they address some of these issues before buying 2k14.
  61. Oct 2, 2013
    While as far as graphics go it's the same which isn't a bad thing I'm sure they are just getting ready for next gen, but the animations are far better for layups, dunks, and blocks defense is actually do-able for once! (It's actually enjoyable) the new passing with the analog stick feels and looks amazing when you get it down its a wonderful new addition! The only complaints I really haveWhile as far as graphics go it's the same which isn't a bad thing I'm sure they are just getting ready for next gen, but the animations are far better for layups, dunks, and blocks defense is actually do-able for once! (It's actually enjoyable) the new passing with the analog stick feels and looks amazing when you get it down its a wonderful new addition! The only complaints I really have about the game is with my team if you are beating someone and they get mad and quit it doesn't give you the win because they were "disconnected". Lastly the controls, I'm not sure why they consistently feel the need to change them over the years while most of the time it's for the better I feel they should have left them alone they went back to 2k12 to perform a spin move in the lane you spin the analog stick instead of double tapping B which was far more simple, to perform a step back you have to push the analog stick back wards as oppposed to tapping B? post moves are also done with the analog stick as opposed to double tappig x or b! and they didn't move it to make room for something new, to me it seemed more like they were just changing the controls for the sake of change, maybe to make it seem new and different but it to me it seems largely unnecessary and frustrating because last years controls I felt were the best by far, but overall a great game can't wait for next gen! Expand
  62. Oct 2, 2013
    am not sure about everyone else, but i play the game for the actual game. I havent played my player and the assoication modes yet, which i love btw, but i can tell you from the actual gameplay, this game is amazing. The blocks are on point. The steals, the transition offense and defense. It makes you feel like you are whoever you are in the game. If your lebron, you find yourself catchingam not sure about everyone else, but i play the game for the actual game. I havent played my player and the assoication modes yet, which i love btw, but i can tell you from the actual gameplay, this game is amazing. The blocks are on point. The steals, the transition offense and defense. It makes you feel like you are whoever you are in the game. If your lebron, you find yourself catching up to other players setting up a chase down block where if you are chris paul, you ll find yourself setting up for a steal. Now i have been reading some reviews up here and on other sites and i am not understanding some of your complaints. I read one guys comment that said he blow the computer out on the first game he played. I find this highly unlikely unless he played practice for about 4 hours and played on an easy difficulty. Reason being is that the controls are completly different. You cannot just hop in and do the same thing you were doing last year. The first game i played, I found myself passing out of shots because i did not know the controls, and thought it was like last years. Mind you, i was playing aganist a friend online who had the game for the whole day and had known what to do, so it was a bit bad for me. Any way, i am also not sure as to why people are so mad about the lack of changes in those modes. They were great last year. My player could have used a touch up or two, but if its not broke, why fix it? Why go in and make changes to a great system? Thats just my opinion.

To wrap up, I really do love this game. I will get to spend some more time with it after work, but from the 2 games i played, it feels so good. The timing of the shots, the movement of the players, the blocking system, the ablilty of the ball to always be live and touchable, these things and more are why i feel this is a great game.
  63. Oct 1, 2013
    Very disappointed in this years 2k. I have every 2k since 2k1 with Iverson on the cover for Dreamcast and have purchased it yearly since. my enthusiasm for this years release wasn't quite there with next-gen consoles on the horizon but if 2k is to charge a full $60 for the title, it better be a new game. instead its a disappointing updated version of last years title with more annoyingVery disappointed in this years 2k. I have every 2k since 2k1 with Iverson on the cover for Dreamcast and have purchased it yearly since. my enthusiasm for this years release wasn't quite there with next-gen consoles on the horizon but if 2k is to charge a full $60 for the title, it better be a new game. instead its a disappointing updated version of last years title with more annoying controls.

The game play is incredibly sloppy even at superstar difficulty. the collision is crazy with players falling for their lives like they've been hit by a mack truck, randomly loosing the ball with any contact, and simply loosing the ball while dribbling. the game plays like a middle school recreation game rather than an NBA game.

furthermore, issues with the previous title haven't even been touched. in the first 5 games i played, i incurred the same exact issues from last years edition. the out of bounds problem, freezing/random quiteness after the game, Chandler Parsons not even resembling his half brother, ridiculously incorrect shot releases, and terrible player ratings. the developers seem to think Arron Brooks somehow deserves a 77 rating (3rd highest on the Rockets), Gallinari who was a borderline All Star before getting hurt is in the low 70's, Gordon Hayward in the 60's while Stephen Jackson who isn't even signed to a team is somehow a 79.

Overall, the game plays virtually like last years title with some new terrible animations of players dramatically falling over each other and a new control layout. this is the first time since 2000 where i can honestly suggest to skip this years version and pray that the developers instead took their time to release an epic game on next gen consoles.
  64. Oct 1, 2013
    It simply is a great game that will keep us in company before the next-gen version comes out! NBA 2K14 shows us how good these developers are in improving their product every year.
  65. Oct 3, 2013

Now for the negatives.

Mechanics that are not good:

1. Jan 28, 2014
    Much like in previous years, NBA 2K14 is a good basketball game.
  2. Dec 2, 2013
    Online play is smooth and seamless, with your rival being picked from a pool of roughly statistically equivalent players, whether playing with real NBA or FIBA teams or your own custom fantasy myTeam.
  3. Nov 14, 2013
    No surprise here – another remarkably enjoyable title from the series that’s been a definition of a perfect sports game for years. [12/2013, p.66]