5.4

1. May 20, 2015
    I dont like racing games in general but Rivals looked like a game that promised racing to its best. How ever, I was treated to a knock off Need for Speed: Most Wanted. The physics in this game does not make sence and feels sloppy. Also, When I would crash into another car head on, the car would barely have any physical damge showing. The drifting in this game is pretty fun but all of theI dont like racing games in general but Rivals looked like a game that promised racing to its best. How ever, I was treated to a knock off Need for Speed: Most Wanted. The physics in this game does not make sence and feels sloppy. Also, When I would crash into another car head on, the car would barely have any physical damge showing. The drifting in this game is pretty fun but all of the races and pursuits feel unrealistic and could have been better. If you want to buy a needd for speed game, go with the 2012 version of Need for Speed: Most Wanted. The open world map is filled with guard rails on the rad which makes the player have to go all the way until the end of that road just to go some where else. The multiplayer feels like Sinplayer with smarter or stupider AI depending on the skill of the player. In conclusion, I would not recommend this game to anyone and you should focus on another racing game like the 2012 most wanted or the New forza Horizon 2. Thank you for reading this Expand
  2. May 2, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is the worst Nfs game i ever played. i played this on xbox 360 and it sucks for its crappy dark graphics, rare crashes, frame rate drops and game being so harder then previous titles in the series. my car crashed thousands of times in this game, cops chase me for no reason, racers AI is so intellagent and everything is too expensive to purchase in game items like performance. If your a ps4/xbox one owner than this is the game for you, but if your a pc/ps3/x360 owner than stay away from this garbage and don't waste money on it. I have been playing nfs series since underground 2 and after many years, i got punished for buying a inferior port (x360) of nfs rivals and not for next gen. well done ea/ghost games for punishing your conusumers for not buying the game on ps4/xbox one, i will not buy any future nfs titles and i will not put a single hand in the franchise EVER again. used to be longtime nfs fan, but NOT anymore. Expand
  3. Feb 21, 2015
    This game is a real hit and miss game,it is fun but issues such as framerate dips,being chased by police even if you are doing 30 mph,a weak car list all forces me to bring it down to a 4
  4. Feb 7, 2015
    Not only do the graphics suck big time on the 360.... every other NFS title before this has looked lightyears more advanced and appealing to the eye on the 360.... but this game is just plain terrible. This is "baffling design choices" - the game. Many game sites have reviewed this game positively but tey are very simply lying. The idiocy here can really be summed up in a couple ofNot only do the graphics suck big time on the 360.... every other NFS title before this has looked lightyears more advanced and appealing to the eye on the 360.... but this game is just plain terrible. This is "baffling design choices" - the game. Many game sites have reviewed this game positively but tey are very simply lying. The idiocy here can really be summed up in a couple of sentences. First of : There is no pause button. That's right. EA has innovated by making the astoundingly terrible design decision of not being able to pause the game. That sh*t was supposed have been ripped out of dev's heads back in the NES era. also the game tries to force you to play multiplayer instead of single player. You can fiddle around in the options to make this idiocy not happen, but there is still no pause. The only way to make the game not fu*k you in the a*s while you want to do something else is drive to the nearest hideout, which will for all intents and purposes "pause" the game. This will take easily a couple of minutes every time. A couple of minutes to "pause" the game. Really. That is what they did here. And if you're being pursuited by hard level cops that will never ever fall behind you and by helicopters that will see you at all times? Going to a hideout does not work then so you can never *ever* get the game to pause. You have to let them bust you or try to escape for the next 5-10 minutes unsuccessfully. In the words of the AVGN "What if you gotta take a sh*t? Well tough sh*t if you gotta take a sh*t". And what you're doing then is driving around, being constantly spotted by the psychic cops and being pursuited until they catch you. Unless you drive back to your hideout after every single pursuit, it gets impossible to escape these real fast. And that also get tedious real quickly. Also the cops know that even when you're not being pursuited, they will start pursuits for no reason before you get to your hideout and they actually also will deliberately ram your stationary car on the side of the road to *start* a pursuit. What in the actual fu*k. I've actually liked every single NFS title all the wau from NFS II in the 90's. This. This is a joke in gamers' faces. THis is like *wow* type of bad. Please, please do not buy this game and waste your money. Fu*k this game. Fu*k it to hell. Expand
  5. Aug 9, 2014
    This is the first need for speed game I bought since NFS hot pursuit. I think it got some really nice graphical improvements since Nfs Hp but that also comes with problems on the xbox at least. If you are driving in a normal speed maybe (100mph) things pop up in front of you such as cars and other textures and that's really annoying sometimes but you will get used to it. The problem is ifThis is the first need for speed game I bought since NFS hot pursuit. I think it got some really nice graphical improvements since Nfs Hp but that also comes with problems on the xbox at least. If you are driving in a normal speed maybe (100mph) things pop up in front of you such as cars and other textures and that's really annoying sometimes but you will get used to it. The problem is if you have progressed a good way through the racer campaign and got really fast cars the problems with things popping up just expanding like crazy. Another problem (for me at least) is that i can't start the game without pulling out the internet cable and that is quite annoying. Otherwise in the game, drifting is really good, the game modes are fun and really enjoying. I think this game would have got a lower rating then mine 7 if you paid over 40 bucks for it but for the 18 dollars i paid for it, it's well worth it. Expand
  6. Jul 18, 2014
    I really love the NFS games and I also love this game. I think it is the beginning of a great concept where there is seamless transitions from free play to structured races. It is also a lot of fun to be doing multiple events at a time, being chased while racing. The voice controlled navigation helps a lot, especially when you don't have time to go into the menu while racing a race andI really love the NFS games and I also love this game. I think it is the beginning of a great concept where there is seamless transitions from free play to structured races. It is also a lot of fun to be doing multiple events at a time, being chased while racing. The voice controlled navigation helps a lot, especially when you don't have time to go into the menu while racing a race and need repairs or something. I would say it is more fast paced, but there needs to be more multiplayer contact. It takes some time to find someone, and then they are usually in an event and race away or something. Expand
  7. Jul 16, 2014
    One word...RIPOFF! Icant play this cos i dont have a hard drive! When i did at someone elses house i was appualled! The lighting was bad. The hit detecion was super off! I glitched when i was in a race so i flying in the air, the map disappered and when it did a load of cops smashed into be and i got busted! This game is terrible!
  8. Jul 9, 2014
    I've been playing this game for quite some time now and I think it's very entertaining.

The fact that you can choose between "the law" and "the rogue" is very neat. Okay, so both stories aren't that good but let's be reasonable here: all we fans want is a wide choice of vehicles, upgrades and some sweet shortcuts on the road etc. So let's not focus too hard on that. Next, the graphics:

Next, the graphics: everybody is complaining about how much better the graphics are on Xbox One. Well, that's kinda the point, isn't it? If the Xbox One didn't exist today, everyone would find these Xbox 360 graphics very okay, trust me.
    The multiplayer mode is perhaps the most special feature to discuss. You either love or hate it. You'll find yourself trying to complete challenges, races, etc. while other people might just barge in and ram you off the road since you all play in the same, open world. And yes, this can be really annoying, I understand that. But the idea is just brilliant, really. If you are a rage quitter...enjoy smashin' stuff.
    However, making an "open world - everybody welcome" multiplayer, means that players (even those on your side) can troll you at any moment in the game by following and wrecking you, over and over again. Beginners can experience some "bumps" on the way in that case.
    The music: I personally like electro; dub and D&B so
  9. Jun 17, 2014
    This game feels and looks HORRIBLY downscaled for the Xbox 360. The graphics are unacceptably pixellated for a game at this price point and supposed "quality" - have a look at Forza Horizon for amazing open world Xbox 360 racing grafx.
  10. May 25, 2014
    No. Just no. The need for speed franchise has deteriorated beyond what I remember. When I last played a need for speed game, it was a fun experience, but sadly the advent of online multiplayer has poisoned all racing games. I miss the good old days of split screen. With that little rant over with, on to the game itself. At the start you can choose to be a cop or racer. There is noNo. Just no. The need for speed franchise has deteriorated beyond what I remember. When I last played a need for speed game, it was a fun experience, but sadly the advent of online multiplayer has poisoned all racing games. I miss the good old days of split screen. With that little rant over with, on to the game itself. At the start you can choose to be a cop or racer. There is no quick race mode, which is why I buy racing games in the first place. You are forced to play the stupid story that nobody likes, and you are forced to do it online. I feel that they tried to make a dumb storyline around what is, at its heart, an excuse to drive fast cars and smash other people into walls. I returned this game within two hours of buying it. In my opinion, go buy need for speed shift, it is a better game for me. However, if you are interested in the online and stupid storylines, by all means, get rivals. This game just didn't do it for me. Expand
  11. May 2, 2014
    Turn on Single Player and you have Hot Pursuit 2010 with everything being worse. With other people, this game is somehow even worse than before. This game includes a required (!) 1.6 gigabyte HD texture install that only works on some consoles (!!!) and far less options in the options menu than Hot Pursuit 2010. Hot Pursuit 2010 let you change controls to whatever you want, set how theTurn on Single Player and you have Hot Pursuit 2010 with everything being worse. With other people, this game is somehow even worse than before. This game includes a required (!) 1.6 gigabyte HD texture install that only works on some consoles (!!!) and far less options in the options menu than Hot Pursuit 2010. Hot Pursuit 2010 let you change controls to whatever you want, set how the music player does its thing, go from mission to mission instantly, and free roam was just a thing you could mess around with if you wanted to. This forces you to use the controls it gives you, the music player has NO options, you have to drive to every mission unless you want to wait for the unbearable loading times, and free roam is required no matter what. If you didn't turn on the ridiculously hidden single player setting, you have to deal with online players that destroy you constantly interfering with your stuff. The "missions" consist of the same 3 objectives done repeatedly, and you're given assignments to complete while doing the missions. These assignments are simply roadblocks put in your way to force you to free roam and only let you unlock one version of each cop car. The cop cars received, however are free. On the racers side, you unlock the same car no matter which version of the assignment you chose, and you have to spend money to unlock it. You won't have any money, however, because the "pursuit tech" (which, in HP2012, you had at all times and you had all of) is ridiculously expensive.

If you're gonna buy a NFS game, buy any PS1 NFS, PS2 NFS, or Hot Pursuit 2012.
  12. Apr 25, 2014
    Make no mistake – this is a superb game. The writing and cutscenes are probably the biggest downsides in an otherwise class act and the 'sexy' female instructor voice is getting a bit old. However, everything else -- from the slick menus to the environmental effects -- has obviously had considerable thought and effort applied to it. All of the little touches -- like the realisticMake no mistake – this is a superb game. The writing and cutscenes are probably the biggest downsides in an otherwise class act and the 'sexy' female instructor voice is getting a bit old. However, everything else -- from the slick menus to the environmental effects -- has obviously had considerable thought and effort applied to it. All of the little touches -- like the realistic accumulation of dirt on the vehicles -- clearly show how much pride Ghost Games has taken in their work.

The graphics and gameplay are where this title really shines and it looks twice as good on the PC. I didn't care for Hot Pursuit (2010) and Most Wanted (2012) but this game is closer to Burnout Paradise (2009) than any other since and -- for me -- that's a huge plus. In fact, in many ways it actually improves on the original formula as you would expect. The learning curve is relatively steep but it's a highly intelligent and rewarding game for those willing to put the effort in. It doesn't all gel straight away. You have to play it a while to 'get it' and appreciate its nuances. I had mixed feelings in the first hour or so but now I have to stop myself playing to go to bed. That's the sign of a good game!
  13. Apr 9, 2014
    Got the game at game shop had to spend $130 FOR a hard drive not really worth it it's too much around muitplayer Like i don't have gold so ever time i go play it tells me if i want muitplayer and really worth for a month then get boring.
  14. Mar 26, 2014
    Why did this have to suck balls?

The 360 version sucks. Why? Cuz EA just went "Okay **** this let's get to the XBOX One crap!" This is why the 8th gen versions are WAY better! Get this: when I loaded the game, it told me to donate 1.4 GB for mandatory HD content. Then, they got sneaky and forced me to used a hard drive, which was 110 dollars. WHAT THE H***!!! So I got it after
    Why did this have to suck balls?

WHAT THE H***!!!

So I got it after New Year's Eve and it worked. AND IT SUCKS.

The graphics look good up close, but objects randomly appear from a distance, which makes this feel like the first NFS. Plus, the AI is too smart and handling too stiff for anything to work. The drifting is a disaster!
    Plus, the only cars in this game are sports coupes! I want to be able to drive more than that, and Evoque and Raptor and BAC and Ariel Atom, but EA put (here I lose control) 1 PERCENT OF THEIR COMMON SENSE INTO THIS PIECE OF F****** SH**!!! WHY DID THIS HAPPEN!!!??? COULD IT BE LESS DISAPPOINTING! EA, WHAT'S HAPPENING!? OH, AND WHY IS THERE NO PAUSE BUTTON!?

I don't use XBOX LIVE so I would probably get a better experience if I connected, but the single player is really that bad? Oh, and BTW, the game loads too long, not too frequently.

Pros: Good graphics up close, more customization options than Most Wanted, sort of engaging, that's all folks.

Oh, if you destroyed your USB to make it XBOX compatible, can you make it compatible with Windows again?
  15. Mar 25, 2014
    I purchased this game and i had to buy a hard drive that cost me 130 dollars. I first of all do not know why people are talking about the hard drive when it is a game review. One of the best games i have played it was worth it to buy a hard drive.
  16. Mar 21, 2014
    How can I buy a racing game that dont have 2 players split screen? I have to buy 2 consoles and 2 games to play with my brother?

Is that it? REALLY? These developers, they've been much better, long time ago.

Today we live on a very ironic time, you can use 4 joysticks, but even a racing game allows play with 2.

EA GO HOME, YOU ARE DRUNK.
  17. Feb 24, 2014
    A great game made better by the fact other online players can play along side you on the main game map. This can be frustrating when in a main game mision but surely makes it more fun as you never know what will happen next. not as realistic as other games like Forza horizon but i would say alot more fun.
  18. Feb 12, 2014
    READ THIS READ THIS READ THIS You can tell some of the people who gave this suck-a*s game a 10 are FAKE. There is no sense of speed; I thought I had the metric on. There is no feedback for turbo from controller. The game take forever to choose an on-line world and is CONSTANTLY stopping in middle of race to MIGRATE TO NEW HOST OR LOST CONNECTION etc, and forget about what YOU want toREAD THIS READ THIS READ THIS You can tell some of the people who gave this suck-a*s game a 10 are FAKE. There is no sense of speed; I thought I had the metric on. There is no feedback for turbo from controller. The game take forever to choose an on-line world and is CONSTANTLY stopping in middle of race to MIGRATE TO NEW HOST OR LOST CONNECTION etc, and forget about what YOU want to do because other racers and cops all want to smash your car up so it's totaled in the middle of your race or time-trial...start ALL OVER...AGAIN...AGAIN... and if you don't want to race someone watch out for retribution because they will smash you until your car blows up. This is the LEAST enjoyable game I've EVER played. Expand
  19. Jan 21, 2014
    Ah, where shall I start..... Well, to begin with there's a mandatory 1.3 GB installation on your hard drive. Yes, it's bearable, but it's unwanted. The game opens up with literally half an hour of tutorials accompanied by a god-awful story line. Once I actually jumped into multiplayer I was disappointing further. When it comes to selecting a car, the game offers no comparisons so in orderAh, where shall I start..... Well, to begin with there's a mandatory 1.3 GB installation on your hard drive. Yes, it's bearable, but it's unwanted. The game opens up with literally half an hour of tutorials accompanied by a god-awful story line. Once I actually jumped into multiplayer I was disappointing further. When it comes to selecting a car, the game offers no comparisons so in order to see if the new car has better stats than the old, you have to flip back and forth 30 times just to get an idea of what to pick. The customization options are at least nice, with different paint jobs and decals available. The actual racing honestly begins to fall short for two reasons. 1) The multiplayer is terrible. The player-to-player interaction that EA showed off so much transforms into high-leveled racers rampaging around the map destroying you in two hits. If you go into the settings, you can play offline instead, which is somewhat better. However.... it completely removes the spontaneity that the multiplayer offers and instead you're left with the halfway-decent bots. Even then... 2) The regular missions and single player are dull. The game gives you boring objectives, such as "Bottom-ram a racer 10 times" . We've all seen these before and they get very old, very fast. On top of that are random encounters that typically see little variations and few epic moments.

Even if you're alright with all of that, many of the other features are implemented poorly. The music can't be changed, so it's either pop in your earbuds or put up with whatever crap is on the radio. The graphics frequently suffer from pop-up and disappearing scenery. Online multiplayer lags, pedestrian cars randomly disappear, and the cars for the police force are mostly made up of stupid variations of the exact same cars.

The only positives the game has is that 1) It looks pretty (when the trees and mountains don't magically evaporate) and 2) the customization is plentiful and impressive. Unless you're a die-hard racing fan, I would look at one of the other many racing games available. Perhaps one that doesn't rely on poor multiplayer to give you a good racing experience.
  20. Jan 9, 2014
    Now this is a good game BUT!....Graphics are my issue. I have a 2GB Xbox 360 Slim with a 250GB HDD and a Microsoft Cooling fan attatchment. When I play....the distant background is either flashing on and off, just not there or has a lot of pixels. The graphics up close in the environment ( Car, road, buildings ect. ) are great. The game play is solid..Online that is....Single player wasNow this is a good game BUT!....Graphics are my issue. I have a 2GB Xbox 360 Slim with a 250GB HDD and a Microsoft Cooling fan attatchment. When I play....the distant background is either flashing on and off, just not there or has a lot of pixels. The graphics up close in the environment ( Car, road, buildings ect. ) are great. The game play is solid..Online that is....Single player was short annnnd..lacking to say the least. I love the fact I can play with other people, I just hate when all they want to do is mess with you , and not chase / race you. Overall for the graphics issue (For Xbox 360) and the amount I had to spend on the HDD drive ( As much as my 2GB consol is now ) $129.99 is why I give it a 5/10. If I had to JUST rate the gameplay...Single Player 4/10 and Multi-Player 8.5/10.

Good game.
  21. Dec 29, 2013
    EA has elected to not allow installation on my son’s XBOX360, so this review covers only the portions of the game that I experienced. The request for 1.3 Gb of storage was prompt and polite. It was only after selection of a USB drive did the game become snarky, insisting it be loaded only on a harddrive. The only available responses are to not install or to try another drive. In theEA has elected to not allow installation on my son’s XBOX360, so this review covers only the portions of the game that I experienced. The request for 1.3 Gb of storage was prompt and polite. It was only after selection of a USB drive did the game become snarky, insisting it be loaded only on a harddrive. The only available responses are to not install or to try another drive. In the case of my son’s XBOX360 slim the 4 Gb internal storage, despite having enough space for the install, is not considered a harddive. There are other XBOX360 configurations with the same problem. You can consider these as non-gamer systems, but I never considered them non *game* systems. I don’t know what EA and Microsoft are trying to pull with this restriction, but the end result is that we have an unreturnable, unplayable game. Perhaps the goal is to force owners of these systems to buy official XBOX harddrives? Expand
  22. Nov 30, 2013
    This is a great game, it has the good graphics of most wanted(which I loved), and the cop and racer game play like hot pursuit. A big beautiful map with fast cars that look great. I could be in free roam the whole time. It's so fun. I recommend this game. If you like urban ares more, i would recommend most wanted
  23. Nov 21, 2013
    I wish i never reviewed this game in the first place. The terrible performance issues and crashes that made this game unplayable have cleared up when I go offline. The performance is still poor but after some adaption the game becomes enjoyable. In other words, I am writing this review after having to actually adapt to how poor the framerate is. Outside of that, there is a pretty good gameI wish i never reviewed this game in the first place. The terrible performance issues and crashes that made this game unplayable have cleared up when I go offline. The performance is still poor but after some adaption the game becomes enjoyable. In other words, I am writing this review after having to actually adapt to how poor the framerate is. Outside of that, there is a pretty good game here, not without some stupid decisions though. It might be a 10/10 on next gen because the performane issues are cleared up. I wish I just never reviewed this game at all. Expand
  24. Nov 20, 2013
    Best game I have ever played. It gives me a feel of playing NFS Hot Pursuit with updated graphics. The seamless transition between cop and racer is great. I can choose the side I like more (most likely racer) and the best thing is free roam. With AllDrive feature, there are other racers playing NFS Rivals that I can race with or play co-op events. There are only a few hiccups during theBest game I have ever played. It gives me a feel of playing NFS Hot Pursuit with updated graphics. The seamless transition between cop and racer is great. I can choose the side I like more (most likely racer) and the best thing is free roam. With AllDrive feature, there are other racers playing NFS Rivals that I can race with or play co-op events. There are only a few hiccups during the game, and that is what I can expect from an aging console. I got the game on Nov 17th (before release date) since the retailer in my city got an early batch. Overall it is a great game and I give it a 9/10. Expand

If you tend to see the glass as half full, instead of half empty, you will see Rivals as a success. Gameplay innovations make up for the lack of technical fidelity present in the old gen versions. [Issue#237]
  2. Dec 19, 2013
    Arguably, the racing genre doesn't create classics anymore. Publishers merely try to make the least offensive version of their franchise for that year. Owing to this truth, NFSR succeeds at not being offensive. Sure, it's just bumper cars at its core. Just cats chasing mice. But sometimes that's enough.
  3. Dec 18, 2013
    Need for Speed Rivals is a fun race and chase driving game.