6.5

1. LGR
    Sep 15, 2009
    I really thought that when NFS changed, it would be for good! But I was wrong, it doesn't matter what the big magazines and sites say, NFS should never be a simulator, this change took away all the glory and style of a game that was already good in the past.
  2. ShawnB
    Sep 16, 2009
    Need For Speed SHIFT tries to be a realistic racing game but fails at the most important aspect. The driving physics are just absurd. It seems like every time you touch the steering your back and starts to slide. The cars I have driven so far seem ok when they are stock but when you start adding upgrades they become extremely twitchy and it's hard to keep them on the road. The racing Need For Speed SHIFT tries to be a realistic racing game but fails at the most important aspect. The driving physics are just absurd. It seems like every time you touch the steering your back and starts to slide. The cars I have driven so far seem ok when they are stock but when you start adding upgrades they become extremely twitchy and it's hard to keep them on the road. The racing line they give you (similar to Forza) is not very accurate. If you try to follow it you may end up in the dirt because you really shouldn't have been going so fast even though the line is green. I don't know why anyone would want arcade style physics when they're racing on real tracks with real cars. Keep the arcade racing to streets or fake tracks that are well suited for that style of driving. Expand
  3. MarkH
    Sep 17, 2009
    I picked this game up as it sold itself so heavily as a pure simulation game. Being a real life driver and a huge sim fan, this game is almost undrivable in the default settings and ultimately has very little depth to keep me interested after being frustrated by the controls. Maybe a 2 is way to harsh, but I feel lied to and cheated when an arcade title tries to sell its self as a sim I picked this game up as it sold itself so heavily as a pure simulation game. Being a real life driver and a huge sim fan, this game is almost undrivable in the default settings and ultimately has very little depth to keep me interested after being frustrated by the controls. Maybe a 2 is way to harsh, but I feel lied to and cheated when an arcade title tries to sell its self as a sim just to gain market share. Expand
  4. RhettM
    Sep 17, 2009
    Neither sim nor arcade. Career progression is not interesting. The blurring effect gets old and a pain after sometime. Customization blows. Good graphics but not uptown the levels of GT or FM3. Runs @ 30fps. Good first try on moving NFS to a different direction but incomplete both content and gameplay wise.
  5. JanF
    Sep 22, 2009
    Poor game in all aspects, ended up in the middle achieving nothing for either camp.
  6. May 12, 2011
    I agree with the negative reviews here and felt so ripped off after purchasing this game I actually registered on Metacritic to write this review. I have been a racing sim fans for years and actually work in the video game industry. This game is utterly unplayable. The cars drive like boats and just driving in a straight line is almost impossible. Beyond that, the graphics look nothingI agree with the negative reviews here and felt so ripped off after purchasing this game I actually registered on Metacritic to write this review. I have been a racing sim fans for years and actually work in the video game industry. This game is utterly unplayable. The cars drive like boats and just driving in a straight line is almost impossible. Beyond that, the graphics look nothing like the screenshots or videos. I bought the PS3 version, so maybe it does on the PC but compared with other console sim racers like Forza or GT, this game looks like a poorly executed fan mode of a last gen game. Graphics from some original PS2 or Xbox games are just about on par with this. I only hope anyone considering purchasing this title takes some time read these reviews and saves themselves some money.

The only positive area I was really impressed with was the sound. If you close your eyes and don't attempt to actually play the game, I suppose it would be a fairly enjoyable experience ;)
  7. Oct 2, 2012
    Need for Speed: Shift

Need for Speed: Shift

Need for Speed Shift is the 13th installment of the video game franchise published by Electronic Arts. Shift is aimed at a more hardcore gamer-style audience and it changes the racing style to a touring car simulation just like its predecessor Need for Speed Prostreet. The games career starts with the player having to complete a lap of the famous Brand hatch. Upon completion of the lap the game automatically provides the player with settings the game feels is right for the players driving style. Even though these settings are provided automatically, they can be changed at any point of the game.
    Shift does not contain an actual storyline but the career is very addicting and challenging. The player is welcomed to the
  8. JoshuaS
    Sep 16, 2009
    Not sure why all users are giving this such a low score, was going to give it a 9, but giving it a 10 to offset the people who are being overly critical (or don't know how to play sim racing games).
  9. piolodozza
    Sep 20, 2009
    bad controls with g25. arcade model is good but without sense togheter to real and seriously tracks as donington or spa.
    real or seriously track style however, like gt o forzamotorsport. in need for speed I expect arcade tracks, around the monuntains, in the canyons, full of jump ecc...not doningont and spa:these are tracks for a simulation.
    bad copy of grid with awesome grafic and
    bad copy of grid with awesome grafic and nothing more. totally waste of time
  10. JustinH
    Oct 1, 2009
    I don't know why everyones complaining about the car handling!You r dum if because every aspect of the handling features can be edited by going to the tuning menu and changing the settings of the suspension and the braking and other handling features. All of the loading and handling features will be patched. If you have a racing wheel around ,use it because it helps a lot. Personally I don't know why everyones complaining about the car handling!You r dum if because every aspect of the handling features can be edited by going to the tuning menu and changing the settings of the suspension and the braking and other handling features. All of the loading and handling features will be patched. If you have a racing wheel around ,use it because it helps a lot. Personally I'm really tired of Arcade stlye racing games and I hate them everyone is complaining ecause they can't get what They want ,which is a boring arcade stlye racing game with police and slow tuner cars .I think that need for speed shift is more of a sim game, but it has some arcadey type features jus to appease the fans.You should really try this game and you should rent it first to see if you like it and not blow 60 dollars. And you should always be VERY patient when playing this kind of game because Its really kinda a sim game. I really recommend this game!!!!! Expand
  11. monty
    Sep 16, 2009
    It just like Grid just with different tracks. nice to see the the NFS series is going back to its early roots and away from the stupid teenager pimp my rid game.
  12. miked
    Sep 23, 2009
    A key to terms used in Need for Speed Shift reviews! "Too hard to control" = used keyboard or gamepad. "Too arcade" = has never really played a "proper simulator" (iracing, live for speed etc) but thinks it probably must be an arcade title since it's called NFS and made by EA. Also bonus points if they mention that it has "worse" physics than Forza or GTP and look at you funny when A key to terms used in Need for Speed Shift reviews! "Too hard to control" = used keyboard or gamepad. "Too arcade" = has never really played a "proper simulator" (iracing, live for speed etc) but thinks it probably must be an arcade title since it's called NFS and made by EA. Also bonus points if they mention that it has "worse" physics than Forza or GTP and look at you funny when you mention that it's almost exactly like GT Legends or GTR Evolution with a bit less punishment for having one wheel on the grass. "Blurry and locked at 30fps" = played on console. Do you have a wheel? Do you like the Simbin racing games? Do you have a PC made in the last couple of years? This is for you. Seriously. It's like that line David Fincher came out with about Fight Club, that he had somehow fooled a major studio into financing what was basically a european style art film about philosophy with a massive budget by roping in a couple of names. This is a Simbin title with EA's money rolled into it because Top Gear made people like the Veryon. If you liked the GT titles in any way shape or form you simply have to give it a shot. Expand
  13. TizzyDaBrwnBear
    Sep 23, 2009
    This is the best nfs after nfs most wanted. When I heard they have take it to the tracks and off the street I was upset until I played it. I thought this game was just another nfs pro street(which sucked), but after playing shift I have changed my opinion 180deg. Shift is the best. No cops I can live with that. Nfs changing with time and it is a good change.
  14. MattL
    Sep 15, 2009
    Amazing driving experience. All the cars you actually want. Sound as well as graphics look amazing. Also the fact that its got a balance between simulation and arcade is a HUGE plus. Simulation racers bore me, but arcade leaves something to be desired. With the balance that shift has (close to GRID) its absolutely perfect.
  15. brians
    Sep 15, 2009
    Best driver perspective ever in a racing game.Best cockpit view ever. Tons of options and you can adjust the difficulty to a tee. You feel the sensory overload a driver would feel driving these cars this fast. Menus are good graphics are great and effects are awesome and revolutionary. Buy it.
  16. LeonardoR
    Sep 19, 2009
    I've had a chance to try FM3 and SHIFT before the release (and GT5p of course), i've found SHIFT the most fun of the lot. Not quite a simulation, but neither FM3 or FT5p are.. we're talking about consoles, the target is mainly focus to enjoy some fun, not to learn how to drive a racing car. Best cockpit gfx ever, best light shading so far, great sense of speed! It is the I've had a chance to try FM3 and SHIFT before the release (and GT5p of course), i've found SHIFT the most fun of the lot. Not quite a simulation, but neither FM3 or FT5p are.. we're talking about consoles, the target is mainly focus to enjoy some fun, not to learn how to drive a racing car. Best cockpit gfx ever, best light shading so far, great sense of speed! It is the perfect combination for a racing console game. Expand
  17. AndrewR
    Dec 13, 2009
    Need for Speed: Shift has everything to be a good, or maybe an excellent game of racing. Very nice graphics, good phisics, a lot of cars, customization, BEST SOUND i've ever listened!!! Good job Slightly Mad Studios!
  18. Sep 24, 2010
    The game starts of really well with an interesting selection of cars and tracks, and fairly pleasant gameplay mechanics, but as the game progresses, it all goes down in flames. The first thing you'll notice is how great it looks. The cars look good, the tracks look good, and the light effects are spot-on. One of the best things about it is the **** view. In the slower classes you'll alwaysThe game starts of really well with an interesting selection of cars and tracks, and fairly pleasant gameplay mechanics, but as the game progresses, it all goes down in flames. The first thing you'll notice is how great it looks. The cars look good, the tracks look good, and the light effects are spot-on. One of the best things about it is the **** view. In the slower classes you'll always drive from the inside view, but as things become more fast and demanding, you'll be forced to change to the bumper or bonnet view get a wider look over the track.
    You also get really cool visual effects every time you crash. The vision goes blurry and colourless, and you can even hear the driver painful sounds. It's funny at first, but it becomes boring really quick, and also a nuisance. If you slam against a wall, you want to get back on track as soon as possible, but you can't, because you can't see where you are supposed to go.

As for driving, there's something here for everyone. You can have a lot of driver assists, to make your task easier, or you can turn everything off and go for the full simulation experience. I haven't played in the easy settings, but according to a friend of mine, the easy setting is "far to easy" compared to the normal setting.

As for the simulation bit, is not that perfect. The physics engine is competent for the most part, but cars never have the right feel, specially in weight transitions. One of the elements to blame is the control pad. Using a gamepad, any little touch in the analog stick will cause the steering wheel to swerve ferociously. This game was most likely design for a steering wheel, but how many of us have them? Then there's the racing line. It shows red, but if you overshoot it, it will show green, even though you are still going too fast for that corner. Sometimes when you approach an open corner, the line shows a perfect green, so you keep your finger in the accelerator and follow the line, only to see the car understeering out of the track.

Shift starts with huge tracks, and slow cars, and then it progresses for faster cars on much narrower tracks, with little room for mistake. So if you leave the track, and have to reverse to get back on, you risk being disqualified for driving in the wrong direction. The problem is that your opponents are either dumb or highly aggressive, so they keep pushing you out of the track.

Also, as the cars become more and more powerful, you start loosing any driving feel still left. All cars feel like they are driving on butter instead of rubber. Where are the huge levels of grip provided by heavy downforce and very sticky tires? What was the point of upgrading the car?

You can also personalize your cars with vinyl shapes, but because the editor is so poorly designed, you'll end up using the pre-made ones.

Some cars allow you to give them a extra tune (called the Works conversion) after you buy every single part for it. At this point you are left wandering why should you buy any car that doesn't allow that conversion.

Then there is the starting grid. I still don't know how the order in the starting grid is determined. There is no qualifying whatsoever, and even if you're driving the fastest car, you'll still be thrown in to the back of the pack. It's not really funny to start with a perfect launch just to discover that you are twice as fast off the line than anyone else, and with no place to go, you're stuck in a traffic jam.

You'll have some variety up to the second tier of cars/races, but after that it's a bit repetitive. You have normal races, 2 car head-on, drift and time trials. Other than that, there are some variations (like endurance), but nothing more.

I was very disappointed with this game, and being a huge fan of Forza, GT, Grid and GTR2, this game ended up as a bit of a black sheep. There's potential in this game engine, and maybe Shift 2 will be a great game, but this one? It's not quite up to the task.
  19. LiamG
    Sep 19, 2009
    Agree with all the negative reviews here. It's frustratingly unplayable unless you have it on simple, where it treats you as a 5 year old and does the breaking and steering for you.
  20. Mightybull27
    Sep 22, 2009
    The early races are fun. But soon as many have found (and certainly I did too) the handling becomes near impossible to control. Turn in with the more powerful cars and the back moves out instantly making it impossible to drive round the tracks. A complete disappointment.
  21. JoshJ
    Sep 20, 2009
    Looks great but having great difficulty getting the steering to behave properly. Also, the drift mode seems to throw you straight in at the deep end and is virtually impossible to get the hang of in the short races.
  22. JasonH
    Oct 18, 2009
    For EA'S 1 st crack at a sim it's good visually, and mechanically but leaves you yearning for more . In It's lacking visual customizations vynle choices , and some of the races are nearly impossible to win. Some of the cars that matter the most can't be optimized to a competitive level and I"M an experienced driver and tuner. However there's still alot of great For EA'S 1 st crack at a sim it's good visually, and mechanically but leaves you yearning for more . In It's lacking visual customizations vynle choices , and some of the races are nearly impossible to win. Some of the cars that matter the most can't be optimized to a competitive level and I"M an experienced driver and tuner. However there's still alot of great things about this game and then there are some things that can only be fixed in a sequel. Forget about that Fast and Furious mentality EA ,If you're going to enter the arena with the likes of Grand Turismo and Forza Motorsports you can't pull punches. Expand
  23. BillH.
    Oct 18, 2009
    The graphics are great and the car physics can be tweaked to be good. But this is outweighed by the many anoying things w/the game. Bugs in the game will cause the image of your car to disappear in your garage. The game will sometimes freeze. The balance of cars is all out of wack...a tier 1 quattro fully upgraded can beat 2/3 of the tier 2 cars fully upgraded and a tier 2 bmw can The graphics are great and the car physics can be tweaked to be good. But this is outweighed by the many anoying things w/the game. Bugs in the game will cause the image of your car to disappear in your garage. The game will sometimes freeze. The balance of cars is all out of wack...a tier 1 quattro fully upgraded can beat 2/3 of the tier 2 cars fully upgraded and a tier 2 bmw can likewise beat a tier 3 porche...shouldn't higher tier cars be better then lower tier cars hence the tier system. Why would you also buy a car w/o a W. I bet the game w/a garge of 5 cars...theirs no incentive to buy more then that. Also it's pretty lame when you work hard to level up to unlock cars that can only be used in quick races and even though theirs 60 cars you can't even modify tier 4. Got your cars skills up, got a nice car you want to race a friend w/no chance hear since NFS shift is a one player game...who makes a racing game you can't go head to head w/a friend. NFS does. Hey, like putting the same body kit on your cars, I love having a garage full of cars w/the same double finned front bumpers...really lazy guys...besides those fins look lame. One last thing, the cockpit view is great and changes w/upgrades as does the car body but it still has the same problem as prior cockpit view racing tunnel vision, sure they let you use the R stick to turn your head but when your making a turn you need the e-brake. How are you supposed to look into the turn and brake at the same time. So you still need to judge the turns based on your straight on view... If you can look past these things then buy the game...Otherwise, wait for Forza 3 and if you bought the game based on the "pro" critics hype use NFS as a trade in to upgrade to Forza 3. NFS should step asided and let Forza and GT do what they do best. You would think NFS could get it right after all these games but they did it to use once again...all show and go on the surface to cover up a game full of inconsistencies. Expand
  24. SteveT
    Sep 21, 2009
    After working throught the issues with the controls, this games stands out. Stunning graphics, good career mode, good idea in getting credit for quick races make for enjoyable experience. Drift events seem off, but could be in part of my lack of experience in that discipline.
  25. CBolt
    Sep 23, 2009
    It kinda a mix of Gotham racing and a little Forza sprinkled in with the racing line. I dont understand all the complaining about the handling. you can ajusted almost every aspect of the settings. Compare it to the crap NFS titles from the past and its great. The game is fun to play. sense of speed is good. Carreer mode is good. load times are a bit long,but that all i can really complain It kinda a mix of Gotham racing and a little Forza sprinkled in with the racing line. I dont understand all the complaining about the handling. you can ajusted almost every aspect of the settings. Compare it to the crap NFS titles from the past and its great. The game is fun to play. sense of speed is good. Carreer mode is good. load times are a bit long,but that all i can really complain about. if your a racing fan,buy it. Expand
  26. MPhillips
    Sep 28, 2009
    Nice graphics but terrible car handling ruin this game. I traded it in after four days I give up because its impossible, cars skid around as if the tires are made of banana skin and that's with traction control on ?
  27. RacerX
    Oct 16, 2009
    Need for Speed Shift is a Pagani Zonda -- a brutish, screeching, exceedingly fun machine to play with. In comparison, Forza 3 is a Volkswagen -- brilliantly engineered, fully featured, and slightly less fun to drive.
  28. RyanK
    Oct 20, 2009
    This game is truly amazing this is the best game NFS has come out with yet. I love how they focused on the cars, tracks, handling, and the life like aspect instead of the pink slips.
  29. ApocalypseBrown
    Oct 25, 2009
    The acid test for this game is how does it stand up to the likes of GRID and Forza 3, well having played all three Shift is the weakest link. Racing fast is fine, however the damage modeling, A.I. and bumper car physics are so ridiculous it's beggars belief. I admire EA for trying something new, but it least copy the best aspects of other games and then apply it properly in your own The acid test for this game is how does it stand up to the likes of GRID and Forza 3, well having played all three Shift is the weakest link. Racing fast is fine, however the damage modeling, A.I. and bumper car physics are so ridiculous it's beggars belief. I admire EA for trying something new, but it least copy the best aspects of other games and then apply it properly in your own game. This is nothing more than a sup-down Project Gotham, without the class. Expand
  30. TomL
    Sep 18, 2009
    It's a pretty average racer that does nothing well. The racing physics are an iffy blend of arcade brute force and simulation twitchyness that leave you with a generally underwhelming experience. There are way better racers to spend your hard earned gaming dollars on.
  31. GlynnF
    Sep 19, 2009
    Could have been so much better but you get the feeling this game hung itself by trying to be everything to everyone. Neither a simulation nor an arcade game the gameplay feels as if they're trying to emulate GRID but unfortunately fail. There are options to allow the user to emulate arcade gameplay by allowing the AI to brake and handle the car for you if you approach a corner too Could have been so much better but you get the feeling this game hung itself by trying to be everything to everyone. Neither a simulation nor an arcade game the gameplay feels as if they're trying to emulate GRID but unfortunately fail. There are options to allow the user to emulate arcade gameplay by allowing the AI to brake and handle the car for you if you approach a corner too quickly, but these are very poorly implemented. Although you can turn these off you're then left with a game where all cars handle like bricks with no handling whatsoever. Graphics are average for this generation of consoles, frame rate does drop now and then. The only area this game exceeds in is sound. The cars sound realistic and the music is good. However I've yet to meet a gamer who would consider this a primary selling point There is fun to be had in this game and I'm sure I'll easily log 20 hours with it, if only to justify the £34 price tag to myself. I can't honestly say I can think of anyone this game is aimed at Expand
  32. JimB
    Sep 20, 2009
    Am loving this game, but it needs to be played cockpit view with a decent force feedback wheel. Forget it is a NFS title and think of it as a new (good) racer. Metacritic score of 84 is about spot on!
  33. LukeH
    Sep 21, 2009
    I am really enjoying NFS: Shift. The visuals are amazing and the physics are excellent. They are more arcadey than what i would usually play (Forza 2) but still a lot of fun. If you are looking for something to tide you over until later in the year when Forza 3 (or indeed GT 5) hits then I would definitely give this a go.
  34. NateM
    Sep 21, 2009
    There are a lot of harsh scores for this game, and it took a couple hours to get used to coming from the smooth, 2D racing style of Forza. While some people may not think this is full Sim at first, the cars and experience seems more realistic to me than the bumper-cam After a couple hours, I found myself really enjoying the control schema and game physics, outside of the ridiculous There are a lot of harsh scores for this game, and it took a couple hours to get used to coming from the smooth, 2D racing style of Forza. While some people may not think this is full Sim at first, the cars and experience seems more realistic to me than the bumper-cam After a couple hours, I found myself really enjoying the control schema and game physics, outside of the ridiculous default placement of the gear shifter. I'd like someone to comment on the online racing modes, as I fear it's all a bunch of aggro drivers knocking people off the track. Expand
  35. StevenT
    Sep 23, 2009
    This is a unique racing game at the moment in that it doesn't confine itself to 1 camp (arcade or sim). That is a mixed blessing however as most gamers prrefer 1 over the other. For me I prefer more sim racing games and as such the handling model on this game leaves a lot to be desired. However with a bit of work (and preferably a view where you cant see the car sliding so much) you This is a unique racing game at the moment in that it doesn't confine itself to 1 camp (arcade or sim). That is a mixed blessing however as most gamers prrefer 1 over the other. For me I prefer more sim racing games and as such the handling model on this game leaves a lot to be desired. However with a bit of work (and preferably a view where you cant see the car sliding so much) you can adapt to the physics of the game. Once you have achieved this the game is very strong, it has a good selection of cars and tracks although the overall number of both is relatively small. Graphics are amazing the career is fun for a while. Personally I hate the drift racing but you aren't forced to do them to complete the career mode anyway. Now online, nobody has given the online mode much of a review so far and I have to say it's lacking at the moment. There are frequent disconnections and if the host quits the server simply shuts down. No passing of the host to another player like in games such as Forza. When you get to the racing itself the games are lag free and can be an enjoyable experience if you have the right opponents. Sadly far too many players seem to have come straight from a 3 hour session on Burnout paradise as they weave all over the place trying to take out their competitors instead of race them. Overall I would say this is a solid racer and a big step in the right direction for the series. There are a lot of small problems (mentionned above) but the game is fun for the most part. With no more PGR games coming out this looks to be the replacement for those who like their racing challenging without going for an all out sim game. Expand
  36. Keyman
    Sep 29, 2009
    What you have to ask yourself is, what do you want to get out of a game? if you want sim then you'll get Forza Motorsport as it does everything a sim should. If you want a arcade however, you get nfs. but not anymore as nfs trys to be both. why would you encourage people to take out their opponents in a so called sim??? NFS has always been a do-it-up kind of game. Underground is what What you have to ask yourself is, what do you want to get out of a game? if you want sim then you'll get Forza Motorsport as it does everything a sim should. If you want a arcade however, you get nfs. but not anymore as nfs trys to be both. why would you encourage people to take out their opponents in a so called sim??? NFS has always been a do-it-up kind of game. Underground is what im really referring to. this game doesn't offer any decent customization at all. 'leave sims to forza EA. Please go back to what you were: a non realistic racer, awesome customization, and police. you can read all the shocking problems with this game from other people. Good graphics, cars that i was looking foward to racing. just save that money for forza 3. Collapse
  37. bernardodc
    Oct 12, 2009
    I give this game a 7 rating. 6 for graphics and 1 for the frustratingly game experience i had. This game has better visuals than its predecessors and it has the coolest but not original cockpit view in the business. the only problem is the handling. i did all all sorts of tuning and tweaking but still i couldnt get the hang of this game. this game tries to be a grid but failed miserably I give this game a 7 rating. 6 for graphics and 1 for the frustratingly game experience i had. This game has better visuals than its predecessors and it has the coolest but not original cockpit view in the business. the only problem is the handling. i did all all sorts of tuning and tweaking but still i couldnt get the hang of this game. this game tries to be a grid but failed miserably on the handling part. it's trying to be a sim racer but it will never be close enough-leave it to forza or GT. it's need for speed and it will stay that way, arcady and glitchy. and please, dont be an idiot by comparing this game to forza 3, this game will eat dust even from forza 2!! dammit it EA you still haven't learn from last year's nfs underground mistake. Expand
  38. MattS
    Oct 13, 2009
    The reason I kept playing Need for Speed games was because the were arcade style and really easy to just sit back, play and have fun. Now everything is going realistic and NFS is just another racer in a sea of similar games. I'll be back the next time there's another Hot Pursuit or Most Wanted NFS, but until then my money will go elsewhere. For the record Undercover wasn't The reason I kept playing Need for Speed games was because the were arcade style and really easy to just sit back, play and have fun. Now everything is going realistic and NFS is just another racer in a sea of similar games. I'll be back the next time there's another Hot Pursuit or Most Wanted NFS, but until then my money will go elsewhere. For the record Undercover wasn't a bad game, it was just plagued with bad bugs and problems, that should have been fixed before release. Like the crazy sun that blinds you, fps drops, and weird hiccups/ loading spots. Expand
  39. TomGee
    Sep 26, 2009
    The load times for each track are painfully slow to load (Xbox 360), but the gameplay is fun and challenging. I copied the game to the 360 HDD, but that did not help. This game would have gotten a 9 or 10 if not for the very slow load times.
  40. Feb 5, 2011
    I'm glad I waited so long to write a review for this game because I wanted a lot of other racing games to come out and I wanted to compare.It's 2-11 now and I'll tell you what,this game has screams of greatness and pure quality racing no matter what reason you play racing games.I personally think that Forza 3 is the best console racing game ever created but this game is a very close secondI'm glad I waited so long to write a review for this game because I wanted a lot of other racing games to come out and I wanted to compare.It's 2-11 now and I'll tell you what,this game has screams of greatness and pure quality racing no matter what reason you play racing games.I personally think that Forza 3 is the best console racing game ever created but this game is a very close second along with Dirt 2.This game really has it all,the **** pit view,graphics,game play ,replay value,depth,character,ect..Everyone has there own opinion but I would pick this game in a heart beat if the choice was this or gran turismo 5,that game is ridiculous and sloppy but anyway,I love the sense of REALLY driving in this game and the damage model is great.Grid tried to do what this game really pulled off.I'm waiting very anxiously for Shift 2 unleashed.This year has a lot of amazing racing games coming out but Need for speed shift unleashed gets to be first ,so that's good!Great games EA! Expand
  41. KBT
    Apr 26, 2011
    Alright, it is obvious that the user scores and reviews for Shift 2 Unleashed (S2U) are not unanimously positive, although the vast majority is quite pleased with it. Now, I will try to give my own perspective on the game and hopefully showing that what it is that makes this game pleasant for most and bad for others. First and foremost, S2U has some elements which are certainly wellAlright, it is obvious that the user scores and reviews for Shift 2 Unleashed (S2U) are not unanimously positive, although the vast majority is quite pleased with it. Now, I will try to give my own perspective on the game and hopefully showing that what it is that makes this game pleasant for most and bad for others. First and foremost, S2U has some elements which are certainly well worked out and worth the attention, especially for the race sim fans. However, I believe that the game has too many major flaws which impede it being a great game like forza. These interesting elements, i.e. the surplus for the racing genre, consist of the helmet cam, the personalised sense of a racing career, night racing and the autolog for the multiplayer. As stated, on the other hand there are major downsides to this game as well. The most important one is the frustrating gameplay (especially at the beginning). Trying to balance between arcade and sim, the handling of all the cars in S2U is 'floaty.' At least to me, it didn't feel realistic at all due to frequent oversteer with all cars. This is not just a matter of tuning, it is the very way the driving mechanics work in S2U. Especially at the beginning of the game it feels like the car isn't on a race track at all, but on a ice rink. The cars you drive slide from side to side and then there is the just as frustrating minor lag between controller input and car reaction; the latter problem makes things even more difficult. Add the fact that the difficulty 'easy' is a bit too difficult for the occasional sim driver (like me) and way too difficult for the inexperienced, and the sum is a difficult car to control, and a too difficult game to master considering its pretence of being between arcade and sim. Besides the 'unrealistic' handling of the cars, the game forces you into the career mode and doesn't allow a quick race where you can choose from one of the the many cars the game has to offer. These quick races are only possible for the cars you own and this is a major mistake I believe. Another failure is the absence of the rewind option during racing; there is only the famous restart. Considering the difficulty of the game the rewind option is essential for a less frustrating, and more arcade, play. The sound and music is proper, but not special. One part of the sound did trouble me and that was a peculiar 'tic' every car in S2U makes during races (irrelevant to the view), although I never heard it at Forza nor GT.
    Although S2U has some neat features (helmet cam, night racing, personalized experience) it is far from the status of forza. The most important element in race games, car handling, is flawed per se. Add the difficulty for beginners and occasional gamers, the game is not what it is advertised to be. Nevertheless if you like the challenge and accept the shortcomings, the game can be fun. A seven.
  42. Sep 28, 2011
    Great idea for the achievements being 'badges'. It lets you effectively choose what to do to earn the same achievement. Driving is fun, really get the feel of the interior and a simulation which isn't boring, but feels like you're actually there driving that fast. The only problem is the horrific AI. You always start at the back of the pack. I want to beat lap times, not AI. Even puttingGreat idea for the achievements being 'badges'. It lets you effectively choose what to do to earn the same achievement. Driving is fun, really get the feel of the interior and a simulation which isn't boring, but feels like you're actually there driving that fast. The only problem is the horrific AI. You always start at the back of the pack. I want to beat lap times, not AI. Even putting them on easiest is still annoying because they're in your way all the time. Especially for one of the endurance races that takes place on a figure of 8. Expand
  43. Nov 12, 2011
    Very fun game and yes my young lads when you drive a car fast the back end does check out, I have a cut panel in my garage to prove it from racing super stock class, ( but yes super cars should be a little more "glued down", agreed) Shift just like Shift 2 is not a sim not an arcade, it lies somewhere between. We should be glad all these different levels of differential exist in car games.Very fun game and yes my young lads when you drive a car fast the back end does check out, I have a cut panel in my garage to prove it from racing super stock class, ( but yes super cars should be a little more "glued down", agreed) Shift just like Shift 2 is not a sim not an arcade, it lies somewhere between. We should be glad all these different levels of differential exist in car games. Whish the same could be said for FPS. Anywayz that's my two cents, worth picking up cheap if "Shift 2" is to pricey 4 ya Expand
  44. Jan 14, 2012
    This game set the benchmark for the WORST GAME EVER MADE. It was shipped incomplete, the controller deadzone was 20% making you feel like you're trying to keep an out-of-control schoolbus on the road, the game was frustrating and broken at best, nothing made any sense. JUST THINKING ABOUT THIS GAME MAKES ME MAD I WASTED MY LIFE PLAYING IT. never again EA ever.

Need for Speed Shift gets the most important part of a racing game right and it does so with a flair that’s uncommon in a frequently po-faced genre, providing driving that’s genuinely thrilling.
    A glorious return to greatness (and even excellence) for EA's seminal racing franchise. Slightly Mad Studios has delivered a driving experience that, while not completely accurate in terms of its simulation aspects, is practically dead-on in terms of what it's like to race around some of the world's best racing circuits.
  3. Shift is hugely entertaining, but remember that it’s not about the sillier fun of its Need for Speed predecessors. It’s about the nail-biting intensity and challenge of hanging on to your car at high speed, and as long as that’s how you like your racing, you’ll disappear into this game.