Need for Speed: Shift Xbox 360

6.5

1. Oct 2, 2012
    Need for Speed: Shift

Need for Speed: Shift

Need for Speed Shift is the 13th installment of the video game franchise published by Electronic Arts. Shift is aimed at a more hardcore gamer-style audience and it changes the racing style to a touring car simulation just like its predecessor Need for Speed Prostreet. The games career starts with the player having to complete a lap of the famous Brand hatch. Upon completion of the lap the game automatically provides the player with settings the game feels is right for the players driving style. Even though these settings are provided automatically, they can be changed at any point of the game.
    Shift does not contain an actual storyline but the career is very addicting and challenging. The player is welcomed to the
  2. JoshuaS
    Sep 16, 2009
    Not sure why all users are giving this such a low score, was going to give it a 9, but giving it a 10 to offset the people who are being overly critical (or don't know how to play sim racing games).
  3. JustinH
    Oct 1, 2009
    I don't know why everyones complaining about the car handling!You r dum if because every aspect of the handling features can be edited by going to the tuning menu and changing the settings of the suspension and the braking and other handling features. All of the loading and handling features will be patched. If you have a racing wheel around ,use it because it helps a lot. Personally I don't know why everyones complaining about the car handling!You r dum if because every aspect of the handling features can be edited by going to the tuning menu and changing the settings of the suspension and the braking and other handling features. All of the loading and handling features will be patched. If you have a racing wheel around ,use it because it helps a lot. Personally I'm really tired of Arcade stlye racing games and I hate them everyone is complaining ecause they can't get what They want ,which is a boring arcade stlye racing game with police and slow tuner cars .I think that need for speed shift is more of a sim game, but it has some arcadey type features jus to appease the fans.You should really try this game and you should rent it first to see if you like it and not blow 60 dollars. And you should always be VERY patient when playing this kind of game because Its really kinda a sim game. I really recommend this game!!!!! Collapse
  4. monty
    Sep 16, 2009
    It just like Grid just with different tracks. nice to see the the NFS series is going back to its early roots and away from the stupid teenager pimp my rid game.
  5. miked
    Sep 23, 2009
    A key to terms used in Need for Speed Shift reviews! "Too hard to control" = used keyboard or gamepad. "Too arcade" = has never really played a "proper simulator" (iracing, live for speed etc) but thinks it probably must be an arcade title since it's called NFS and made by EA. Also bonus points if they mention that it has "worse" physics than Forza or GTP and look at you funny when A key to terms used in Need for Speed Shift reviews! "Too hard to control" = used keyboard or gamepad. "Too arcade" = has never really played a "proper simulator" (iracing, live for speed etc) but thinks it probably must be an arcade title since it's called NFS and made by EA. Also bonus points if they mention that it has "worse" physics than Forza or GTP and look at you funny when you mention that it's almost exactly like GT Legends or GTR Evolution with a bit less punishment for having one wheel on the grass. "Blurry and locked at 30fps" = played on console. Do you have a wheel? Do you like the Simbin racing games? Do you have a PC made in the last couple of years? This is for you. Seriously. It's like that line David Fincher came out with about Fight Club, that he had somehow fooled a major studio into financing what was basically a european style art film about philosophy with a massive budget by roping in a couple of names. This is a Simbin title with EA's money rolled into it because Top Gear made people like the Veryon. If you liked the GT titles in any way shape or form you simply have to give it a shot. Expand
  6. TizzyDaBrwnBear
    Sep 23, 2009
    This is the best nfs after nfs most wanted. When I heard they have take it to the tracks and off the street I was upset until I played it. I thought this game was just another nfs pro street(which sucked), but after playing shift I have changed my opinion 180deg. Shift is the best. No cops I can live with that. Nfs changing with time and it is a good change.
  7. MattL
    Sep 15, 2009
    Amazing driving experience. All the cars you actually want. Sound as well as graphics look amazing. Also the fact that its got a balance between simulation and arcade is a HUGE plus. Simulation racers bore me, but arcade leaves something to be desired. With the balance that shift has (close to GRID) its absolutely perfect.
  8. brians
    Sep 15, 2009
    Best driver perspective ever in a racing game.Best cockpit view ever. Tons of options and you can adjust the difficulty to a tee. You feel the sensory overload a driver would feel driving these cars this fast. Menus are good graphics are great and effects are awesome and revolutionary. Buy it.
  9. LeonardoR
    Sep 19, 2009
    I've had a chance to try FM3 and SHIFT before the release (and GT5p of course), i've found SHIFT the most fun of the lot. Not quite a simulation, but neither FM3 or FT5p are.. we're talking about consoles, the target is mainly focus to enjoy some fun, not to learn how to drive a racing car. Best cockpit gfx ever, best light shading so far, great sense of speed! It is the I've had a chance to try FM3 and SHIFT before the release (and GT5p of course), i've found SHIFT the most fun of the lot. Not quite a simulation, but neither FM3 or FT5p are.. we're talking about consoles, the target is mainly focus to enjoy some fun, not to learn how to drive a racing car. Best cockpit gfx ever, best light shading so far, great sense of speed! It is the perfect combination for a racing console game. Expand
  10. AndrewR
    Dec 13, 2009
    Need for Speed: Shift has everything to be a good, or maybe an excellent game of racing. Very nice graphics, good phisics, a lot of cars, customization, BEST SOUND i've ever listened!!! Good job Slightly Mad Studios!
  11. SteveT
    Sep 21, 2009
    After working throught the issues with the controls, this games stands out. Stunning graphics, good career mode, good idea in getting credit for quick races make for enjoyable experience. Drift events seem off, but could be in part of my lack of experience in that discipline.
  12. CBolt
    Sep 23, 2009
    It kinda a mix of Gotham racing and a little Forza sprinkled in with the racing line. I dont understand all the complaining about the handling. you can ajusted almost every aspect of the settings. Compare it to the crap NFS titles from the past and its great. The game is fun to play. sense of speed is good. Carreer mode is good. load times are a bit long,but that all i can really complain It kinda a mix of Gotham racing and a little Forza sprinkled in with the racing line. I dont understand all the complaining about the handling. you can ajusted almost every aspect of the settings. Compare it to the crap NFS titles from the past and its great. The game is fun to play. sense of speed is good. Carreer mode is good. load times are a bit long,but that all i can really complain about. if your a racing fan,buy it. Expand
  13. RacerX
    Oct 16, 2009
    Need for Speed Shift is a Pagani Zonda -- a brutish, screeching, exceedingly fun machine to play with. In comparison, Forza 3 is a Volkswagen -- brilliantly engineered, fully featured, and slightly less fun to drive.
  14. RyanK
    Oct 20, 2009
    This game is truly amazing this is the best game NFS has come out with yet. I love how they focused on the cars, tracks, handling, and the life like aspect instead of the pink slips.
  15. JimB
    Sep 20, 2009
    Am loving this game, but it needs to be played cockpit view with a decent force feedback wheel. Forget it is a NFS title and think of it as a new (good) racer. Metacritic score of 84 is about spot on!
  16. LukeH
    Sep 21, 2009
    I am really enjoying NFS: Shift. The visuals are amazing and the physics are excellent. They are more arcadey than what i would usually play (Forza 2) but still a lot of fun. If you are looking for something to tide you over until later in the year when Forza 3 (or indeed GT 5) hits then I would definitely give this a go.
  17. NateM
    Sep 21, 2009
    There are a lot of harsh scores for this game, and it took a couple hours to get used to coming from the smooth, 2D racing style of Forza. While some people may not think this is full Sim at first, the cars and experience seems more realistic to me than the bumper-cam After a couple hours, I found myself really enjoying the control schema and game physics, outside of the ridiculous There are a lot of harsh scores for this game, and it took a couple hours to get used to coming from the smooth, 2D racing style of Forza. While some people may not think this is full Sim at first, the cars and experience seems more realistic to me than the bumper-cam After a couple hours, I found myself really enjoying the control schema and game physics, outside of the ridiculous default placement of the gear shifter. I'd like someone to comment on the online racing modes, as I fear it's all a bunch of aggro drivers knocking people off the track. Expand
  18. StevenT
    Sep 23, 2009
    This is a unique racing game at the moment in that it doesn't confine itself to 1 camp (arcade or sim). That is a mixed blessing however as most gamers prrefer 1 over the other. For me I prefer more sim racing games and as such the handling model on this game leaves a lot to be desired. However with a bit of work (and preferably a view where you cant see the car sliding so much) you This is a unique racing game at the moment in that it doesn't confine itself to 1 camp (arcade or sim). That is a mixed blessing however as most gamers prrefer 1 over the other. For me I prefer more sim racing games and as such the handling model on this game leaves a lot to be desired. However with a bit of work (and preferably a view where you cant see the car sliding so much) you can adapt to the physics of the game. Once you have achieved this the game is very strong, it has a good selection of cars and tracks although the overall number of both is relatively small. Graphics are amazing the career is fun for a while. Personally I hate the drift racing but you aren't forced to do them to complete the career mode anyway. Now online, nobody has given the online mode much of a review so far and I have to say it's lacking at the moment. There are frequent disconnections and if the host quits the server simply shuts down. No passing of the host to another player like in games such as Forza. When you get to the racing itself the games are lag free and can be an enjoyable experience if you have the right opponents. Sadly far too many players seem to have come straight from a 3 hour session on Burnout paradise as they weave all over the place trying to take out their competitors instead of race them. Overall I would say this is a solid racer and a big step in the right direction for the series. There are a lot of small problems (mentionned above) but the game is fun for the most part. With no more PGR games coming out this looks to be the replacement for those who like their racing challenging without going for an all out sim game. Expand
  19. TomGee
    Sep 26, 2009
    The load times for each track are painfully slow to load (Xbox 360), but the gameplay is fun and challenging. I copied the game to the 360 HDD, but that did not help. This game would have gotten a 9 or 10 if not for the very slow load times.
  20. Feb 5, 2011
    I'm glad I waited so long to write a review for this game because I wanted a lot of other racing games to come out and I wanted to compare.It's 2-11 now and I'll tell you what,this game has screams of greatness and pure quality racing no matter what reason you play racing games.I personally think that Forza 3 is the best console racing game ever created but this game is a very close secondI'm glad I waited so long to write a review for this game because I wanted a lot of other racing games to come out and I wanted to compare.It's 2-11 now and I'll tell you what,this game has screams of greatness and pure quality racing no matter what reason you play racing games.I personally think that Forza 3 is the best console racing game ever created but this game is a very close second along with Dirt 2.This game really has it all,the **** pit view,graphics,game play ,replay value,depth,character,ect..Everyone has there own opinion but I would pick this game in a heart beat if the choice was this or gran turismo 5,that game is ridiculous and sloppy but anyway,I love the sense of REALLY driving in this game and the damage model is great.Grid tried to do what this game really pulled off.I'm waiting very anxiously for Shift 2 unleashed.This year has a lot of amazing racing games coming out but Need for speed shift unleashed gets to be first ,so that's good!Great games EA! Expand
  21. Sep 28, 2011
    Great idea for the achievements being 'badges'. It lets you effectively choose what to do to earn the same achievement. Driving is fun, really get the feel of the interior and a simulation which isn't boring, but feels like you're actually there driving that fast. The only problem is the horrific AI. You always start at the back of the pack. I want to beat lap times, not AI. Even puttingGreat idea for the achievements being 'badges'. It lets you effectively choose what to do to earn the same achievement. Driving is fun, really get the feel of the interior and a simulation which isn't boring, but feels like you're actually there driving that fast. The only problem is the horrific AI. You always start at the back of the pack. I want to beat lap times, not AI. Even putting them on easiest is still annoying because they're in your way all the time. Especially for one of the endurance races that takes place on a figure of 8. Expand
  22. Nov 12, 2011
    Very fun game and yes my young lads when you drive a car fast the back end does check out, I have a cut panel in my garage to prove it from racing super stock class, ( but yes super cars should be a little more "glued down", agreed) Shift just like Shift 2 is not a sim not an arcade, it lies somewhere between. We should be glad all these different levels of differential exist in car games.Very fun game and yes my young lads when you drive a car fast the back end does check out, I have a cut panel in my garage to prove it from racing super stock class, ( but yes super cars should be a little more "glued down", agreed) Shift just like Shift 2 is not a sim not an arcade, it lies somewhere between. We should be glad all these different levels of differential exist in car games. Whish the same could be said for FPS. Anywayz that's my two cents, worth picking up cheap if "Shift 2" is to pricey 4 ya Expand
  23. Aug 24, 2016
    The original Need For Speed Shift is a very solid simcade racer.

The original Need For Speed Shift is a very solid simcade racer.

The gameplay is much better than the sequel,with more responsive controls,better AI that is nowhere near as cheap,and a similar track list.The cars handle well and the variety is great.Everything ranging from racing classic cars,to drifting,to racing hypercars.It's all here,topping off the solid gameplay.The car and track lists are good too.

The graphics are solid,along with the framerate.

Sound effects are amazing,with a poor soundtrack though.

My only significant complaint is the game is very short,clocking in at around 8 hours.

Overall,Need For Speed Shift is a high-quality racer that I would definitely recommend over it's sequel.

Need for Speed Shift gets the most important part of a racing game right and it does so with a flair that’s uncommon in a frequently po-faced genre, providing driving that’s genuinely thrilling.
    A glorious return to greatness (and even excellence) for EA's seminal racing franchise. Slightly Mad Studios has delivered a driving experience that, while not completely accurate in terms of its simulation aspects, is practically dead-on in terms of what it's like to race around some of the world's best racing circuits.
  3. Shift is hugely entertaining, but remember that it’s not about the sillier fun of its Need for Speed predecessors. It’s about the nail-biting intensity and challenge of hanging on to your car at high speed, and as long as that’s how you like your racing, you’ll disappear into this game.