6.0

1. Dec 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game was disappointing. There are things you want to like about this game, but there's a lot of garbage you need to go through to come across the best moments.

The campaign: It took me only 2 hours and 5 minutes! I can't replay my favorite races without replaying the entire "chapter". Each chapter has painfully short races with devastatingly long loading times. The resets add even MORE frustration to the momentum of racing. Example: I wait 2 minutes for the race to load, just to drive an inch off the shoulder lane, then to wait ANOTHER minute for the reset to place me 2 miles back to where I came from. This is a terrible and frustrating design that makes replaying favorite races too troublesome to even bother!

The soundtrack is good, and the car sounds are good, but that's about it.

The environments look good with good variety, however, the "races across the county" is a lie. The courses that they claim are somewhere like "Denver, Colorado" or "Rushville, Nebraska" are nothing more than open maps with events played as different courses within the same map to act as if you are traveling across the country when actually you are playing the same course BACKWARDS! Many of the events your going down the same road in different directions and routes while claiming you are in a new location when you are in the same place! How did Black Box/ EA think they were going to get away with that?! Half of the environments look great road-side, but lack depth (Mainly the Eastern-US MAPS) which I think is from the Frostbite engine. Except for the western locations, the courses don't give a sense of distance like it is seen in Hot Pursuit (2010).

The car selection is good, but I cannot choose them (Outside of the gas station method), can't do quick races, can't choose courses/ weather, just not a lot of options outside of the career and challenge mode. Where are my options?!

Overall, this game is one large step back in the series compared to the year prior (Hot Pursuit) and is nothing more than a glorified coin-op game, not worth $60, and the DLC doesn't improve the experience.

Scoring 4: (2 for the locations and 2 for the soundtrack).
  2. Apr 1, 2013
    As a gamer, I have never truly been a racing fan, aside from the odd burnout game. The Run in some ways is a nice game as it can be forgiving when it needs to be, and can at time give the illusion of being good at driving. Whilst the campaign got me excited to see the mission through to the end, the novelty ended there. Repetitive missions (well it is a race game, but I would have preferred more of the 'stunt' scenes), with QT events and pseudo plot showing off the pointless characters did nothing and might as well have been avoided. It's a nice way to burn an hour or two, but nothing spectacular. Expand
  3. Nov 13, 2012
    You feel like you're travelling in America, the car physics feels like arcade-simulator, and it's very awesome. How you can't like it?!
  4. Nov 13, 2012
    Best NFS ever with detailed world and things from Underground, cool music and atmosphere, also has good style-story on background.....................
  5. Apr 28, 2012
    Plain and simple,perfection for a game that was made near the end of 2011.At this time and age for arcade racers there is nothing even close,This is the best arcade driving video game I have ever played and one that has strong legs for infinite replay value,just to beat your friends top score by a tenth of a second.Awesome stuff!10
  6. Apr 9, 2012
    I think the most important thing to know about this game is that it is short. I completed the game on easy in 4 hours. Had I paid $60 for this game, I would have probably hated this game. Since I got it for $20 and knew it was short, I found the campaign to be fun. The cars really give you a visceral experience as you race across the country. Definitely more of a rental, but I still had a lot of fun with it. Expand
  7. Mar 13, 2012
    The worst game of the saga, is horrible, and terrible, have much mistakes, the controls are okay, the graphics amazing, the music, gameplay is boring, this title is same that the other Need For Speed Titles.
  8. Feb 17, 2012
    I bought this game the day it came out. I payed the full price and I have to say it is not worth it. The characters are introduced to you and have a detailed background story which you would think would play apart, they do not. It is like me telling you the entire history of Peugeot and yet not even having Peugeot in the game, it is absolutely ridiculous. However, the race itself is fun and going from back in the 200s and throughout the different regions of America that is good. The graphics are outstanding and probably the best I have seen in a racing game to date. The national parks are depicted just as they would look in real life. Unfortunately many big car brands such as Bugatti are left out of this game and you are left to pick from the rest. This game is just over 2 hours long for the main campaign which is quite humourous for a game of today. The challenge series is just something to do if you are in the boredest state of mind possible. The multiplayer is good fun and a big step up from Hot Pursuit in some areas such as the voting system. I also like the constant gap which you can see how far ahead and behind someone you are in seconds constantly throughout a single player or online race. Overall this game is defininitely worth a rent or a buy if it is cheap enough as the graphics are something which is incredible. Expand
  9. Jan 23, 2012
    Need For Speed: The Run is one of the first games to run on the Frostbite 2 engine, and from the very beginning you can tell it is different from any other Need For Speed game. In some ways that is a good things, and in other ways it is very, very bad.

The premise of the game is that your character, Jack, is on "the run" from a large crime organization as well as the police for offenses
    that are never fully explained. After some button-mashing and a frustrating chase scene, you actually start driving on the open road. Everything is fun and great, until all of a sudden it's not. Unlike previous Need For Speed games, The Run has a Rewind feature which enables you to restart from the previous checkpoint if you wreck your car or run off the road. The problem is the circumstances that cause you to restart are extremely inconsistent. On some tracks you can cut corners and overcorrect if you run drive a little off the track, on others it will reset you if you run half a foot off the road.

It is not all bad, however, as the graphics on the game are among the best of any racing game out there. Overall, the gameplay compares with the best Need For Speed games such as Most Wanted and Hot Pursuit, but it is not quite there. It is very straightforward with no kind of "Free Roam" option, and while the multiplayer is fun for awhile, there is only so much utility you can get out of it, especially after you earn all the achievements.

Although the game was relatively short at two and a half hours, I did enjoy it while it lasted, and I plan to pick it up again soon and try to earn the rest of the achievements. If nothing else, this game will help you make friends to compare your times on your Speed Wall!

More reviews at P4YT.net
  10. Jan 14, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Could someone possibly explain this game to me? I understand that you have to drive from San Francisco to New York but why? I somehow feel like the Need for Speed franchise is going backwards. I would much rather play the Need for Speed Underground on PS2 than this. At least in that game you can customize your cars to your desire instead of using pre-sets.
    I appreciate what EA have tried to accomplish in this game but what they have actually done is made the game worse. Instead of having the game take place in an open world environment, they create a "cross country race" which is just basically different variations of the classic Sprint events. The only real goal in this game seems to be in a certain position when you get to specific states. Even with that it cannot be failed as you HAVE to finish first in each event to proceed commonly gaining 10 positions a time. I am sorry but this does not make a racing game. EA should just have made the game a 2,500 mile sprint and it would sell just as well (and would probably be more entertaining) or even just call the game "Need for Speed GumBall".

Not an AWFUL game but extremely poorly designed.
  11. Dec 21, 2011
    After playing Hot Pursuit I was excited when I heard this was being released. I wish I had waited for the reviews before I purchased. Only good thing is I didn't pay full price for it.
  12. Dec 18, 2011
    Despite the fact that The Run is by the same makers of the abysimal Need for Speed-Undercover,I was looking forward to this game before release.It suprised me however by being one of my favourate games of the year,which is saying alot considering how good this year has been for games.This is basically the game i was hoping the disappointing Need for Speed-Most Wanted would be,but wasnt.In fact its the closest game to coming back to the roots of the early great NFS games,such as The very first on the NFS on the 3DO,Saturn & PS1,Road Challenge & Most Wanted 2.The very over arcadey handling & pace of Most Wanted didnt sit well with me,& not very 'Need for Speed' at all in my books,it was more a cross between Burnout & Outrun.So i was glad to see the The Run has much more technical handling than Most Wanted.Dont get me wrong,the handlings not up to Forza's handling(mores the pity),but it requires more skill than Most Wanted,requiring a good approach & exit to corners,throttle control & proper braking for corners.It may be more technical & realistic than Most Wanted,but that doesnt mean the game isnt as exciting,in fact it blows away not just Most Wanted,but any game this gen for excitment.Its genuinely the most exciting racing experience i've had for years!.. The reported 2 hour campaign is not entirely accurate either.I can understand why people may say that,as the in-game timer says it a bit over 2 hours,but in actuallality i timed the story literally by stopwatch,which revealed that the ingame timer doesnt take many things into account.So much so,that my recorded time(credits not included)lasted 6 hours & 17 minutes! So dont worry about story length,& that doesnt even take into account re-plays to improve your times against your friends on Autolog & just for the fun of it(& this game is a hell of alot of fun),The challenge modes,& multiplayer,So theres definately ALOT of entertainments to be had with this game.Some people have criticised the use of QTE events in the story.I have no problem with it at all,& is all part of the story.Besides would you rather just watch a cutscene,or take part in it? i know which i'd rather do.If anything,i'd have liked more of them..
    Now to the negatives.No split screen play is unforgivable in a racing game,Tut Tut black Box! Also the multiplayer,while fun with having traffic to negotiate with items also to unlock,is very limited however,in that all you can really do is multiplayer matchmaking,be it with friends in your group or not.It would've been nice to be able to do a private race with friends,& one on one races would've been exciting.
    All in all,i like what Black Box have done in this game.Great,exciting open-road racing against other racers & traffic on long & varied public roads,with decent semi-realistic handling & highly exciting gameplay.But EA/Black Box,if you do a sequel(& i hope you do)please put in Split Screen,The Ability to do private races,& how about this? The option to do the story with friend,both of you trying to win The Run against the other racers,& each other.On OR offline.Now imagine THAT!...If this game had those things,it would have been a 9.5 or 10 for sure.
  13. Dec 16, 2011
    I originally gave this game an 8 on the PS3 version which I also own but I have to give it a 9 here for the online play alone!! I had not spent as much time with the PS3 version online hence the score of an 8. This game is fantastic online. Tons...I mean tons of cars to unlock, challenges to complete and stuff to earn! The tracks are great and varied. The campaign is a little short and boring otherwise it would get a perfect 10 from me. If you enjoy racing online DO NOT MISS THIS GAME!!! Expand
  14. Dec 14, 2011
    Very good game. I was expecting something like this. If you like arcade racing games similar to Burnout or cruisin- usa series, this is a very good choice. I was tired of the same racing simulators with beautiful cars but not fun to play (I´m not a fan of GT or Forza) This game despite its simplicity delivers great old school racing fun. furthermore, NFS -R has a small storyline, a much better and simpler rewind mode that works more like a "continue", also there are no boring circuit tracks, and you can select a fairly decent amount of cars.
    Hope to se a NFS-R 2 in the future. I would like to see some tuning options by then.
  15. Dec 1, 2011
    Absolutely superb game. i have played almost every racer out there and this one is right at the top. if you want proper good fun and a great sensation of fast driving and beautiful graphics YOU MUST GET THIS GAME!!
  16. Nov 27, 2011
    Have I been playing the same game as the majority of you lot?

A 2 hour single player campaign with a limited collection of are until the last two levels really doesn't float my boat. The off t rack reset is one of the harshest I've seen in some places and in others allows you to cut whole sections off the race. I finished the game, but only because I like to finish something I've
    started unless it's so awful I'd rather hammer nails into my eyes.

Whoever described the story as something to look forward and of a "Michael Bay" style isn't having much in their life at the moment and I'd warrant hasn't seen a MIchael Bay film. On second thoughts, they probably have.

Yes, the Frostbite engine looks lovely, the lighting effects are stunning, but looking pretty doesn't make a game.

This is the worst NFS game of the series, and as far away from Hot Pursuit as two games about racing could be. Save yourself money and time and walk away.
  17. r50
    Nov 24, 2011
    Wow! I was totally expecting this game to SUCK. The premise sounded stupid, the story looked lame, and the guy looked like a total douche. But I'm not kidding when I say this is the most fun in a racing game I've had in a long time. Admittedly it's not perfect. The story WAS stupid, and the guy IS a douche, and as far as mechanics go it's nothing more than a solid racer. But what really sets it apart are the incredibly satisfying movie-esque chase sequences. Sure, the other NFS games have cop chases, but nothing that comes close to this. Honestly, I don't think I can go back to the old get-in-first-and-stay-there formula. Ironically (or understandably?) the parts of this game that did have that were the most boring, but I'm giving it a 10 because racing games need to be made like this from now on (minus douchebags). Expand
  18. Nov 24, 2011
    Despite the short campaign that does as much to kill excitement as build it, Need for Speed: The Run is worth a look for the online play but it is not one of the must-buy titles this holiday season.
  19. Nov 22, 2011
    Such a super frustrating game. Let's start with the good : graphics and sound make it feel like a really intense and desperate drive across the country. But..... loading times are totally unacceptable - I would suggest having something nearby to keep you occupied while u stare at a loading screen every 30secs, this really disrupts the speed of the game. The pointless QuickTime sequences are just unneccessary and again disrupt the flow of the game. Sometimes I wonder whether they even test some games before launch because if u just stray off track into the dirt even a tiny bit, the game just frustrating warps you back to a checkpoint, and of course another loading screen. This game is enjoyable in parts, but I was expecting a fast and fluid drive across the continent, but the are just too many frustrating disruptions. Expand
  20. Nov 22, 2011
    Possible on of the best Racing games and possible of of the best need for speed games. With intense gameplay and quite nice cars, there's probably no other racing game out there in stores right now that are as good as this. Nice graphics and nice racing gameplay theres no way you can go wrong with you money. With really nice cars this game does desrve my 10/10 for all those people who rate this so low cause they dont have no patience of playing a PURE RACING GAME. I give this a 10/10 to boost the ratings cause poeple rate this to low. Expand
  21. Nov 21, 2011
    A story driven, intense driving game that holds many miles of roads to dominate. The game features a lot of cars and each feel distinct.
    The game feels a little short, but the online game picks it up and delivers a good experience.
  22. Nov 20, 2011
    Need For Speed: The Run lives up to the hype it created before release with an interesting, high action story mode. The story mode itself is very different to how NFS games have been in the past and playing through it is very satisfying indeed. The graphics are powered by the Frostbite 2 engine used in Battlefield 3. However, the graphics are on no comparison to Battlefield 3, although there are similarities in the looks of the environments. This does not mean the graphics are awful however. They are still very decent for a NFS game, but do not exceed that of Shift or Shift 2 Unleashed. The destruction and the atmosphere that the game creates are what makes it excel in my opinion. Driving through the mountains with rocks crashing down in front of you and the ground shaking is a unique experience I have not seen in any other game of this type. The online modes are very fun to play, and there is plenty of variety. With the bonus wheel addition you always get a unique prize at the end of a session if you win, which I feel makes you want to push and do well even more. There are some very nice small additions like the BMW Z4 GT3 Car if you've played previous NFS games which I loved. Challenge Series makes a return and there are plenty of challenges to take on and get various medals for. This will provide many more hours of gameplay after the career.
    The areas which the game falls down on are mainly loading times, which are generally extremely poor. Also, the online gameplay can be very laggy. People can lag ahead of you and I've had my car totalled for no reason at all. This can be very irritating at times.
    Need For Speed: The Run is a solid game, and I would definitely give it a chance. If they add in more DLC at a later date then that would be brilliant. I believe personally that this is the last time EA can dodge heading Need For Speed back to its roots and making a street racer once again. I hope that the next time I review a Need For Speed game it will be Underground 3!
  23. Nov 20, 2011
    Excellent game and a welcome change to the franchise and thank god they didn't just make another arcade racer like NFS Hot Pursuit (also great but more of the same really). There are issues with it, I wish they could have hired a real screenwriter to bump up the story but it's actually good fun and keeps you engaged. If I complain about length, it's only because I wanted more which is a good sign. Expand
  24. Nov 19, 2011
    First off, I'd like to say that Need for Speed is my second favorite game franchise out there (Next to GTA) and I have played every single game in the series. The Run looked promising, so when I gave it a try, I had some high expectations. While certainly not a perfect game, I did enjoy the entire concept, beautiful cutscenes, fast driving, amazing graphics, great tracks, and attempt at a story. The ending of the game opened up room for a sequel to The Run, and I can say that I am thourougly looking forward to it. As long as Black Box improves some areas like the story, more cutscenes, customization, some sort of weapon usage similar to Hot Pursuit in gameplay, and maybe even an open world, then we could have a real winner of an NFS game! Expand
  25. Nov 18, 2011
    A friend of mine owns NFS The Run, he asked me to join him and critisize the game. Our conclusion was:
    This game is no different than Hot Pursuit. Its get in a car and race to win. Theres no much u can do.
    The multiplayer, pease, if the others pushes you the whole race u can't even have fun with it.
    Just work on a decent NFS game, Shift 3 or Underground. We all miss those nice cars which
    we can tune, change the visuals, bla bla bla) This is what we need. Another game like The Run or something with the same genre, it will fail.

It is time for a change and do us a big favor, work on Need For Speed Underground 3 already. IF not, i promise, the next game u'll release, and it isn't underground 3, it will fail. And don't blame piracy or something other, it will fail because u won't listem to what we want.
    We had enough racing on one straight line with nothing happening or a boring multiplayer. We want to show our cars of, to our friends, just like Need for speed World!!!

Do us that and u'll recieve an awesome reward ($$)
    Codemasters is working on their GRID 2, i'm pretty sure, do something fast, or i'll buy Grid 2 instead one of your games
  26. Nov 17, 2011
    OMFG! This game is okay at best! The online play will probably suck. Just let me get these offline achievements, and I swear gamefly you can have this back!
  27. Nov 16, 2011
    The game is shorter than your penis. The Run's physics is terrible, car is "swimming" on the road. I think after very good NFs like Shifts and HP we're getting the worst NFS game of all time.
  28. Nov 16, 2011
    I must have played every major racing franchise that's ever come out, but this is the only game that harkens back to the best adrenaline arcade racers of the day, capturing that same giddy feeling I got back when I played the classic Outrun, Rad Mobile, and Cruisin' USA series when I was a kid. It's easily the best looking racing game I've ever played, and the most polished, but the courses is what it's all about! Every stage feels handcrafted, not repetitive, fluctuating from off-road to freeways, bridges, ramps and yes, even jumps. It's pretty astounding the amount of verticality they packed into this game, and it makes a huge difference. This game has the most naturally diverse and versatile tracks I've ever seen, incorporating a ton of environmental challenges into the main experience. Unlike its contemporaries, I don't feel like I'm puttering around in an arena. The care and thought they put into the courses really pay off, and at the end of the day, that's all that really matters. It even surpasses the sense of adventure I got from the great Top Gear games, which makes me suspicious as to why everyone's trying to hate on it. It's sad how seemingly after one bad review, everyone else followed suite - I'm betting from fear of contradicting the 'big guy.' Anyway, all I have to say is that no other game comes close to replicating the same level of excitement it consistently pumps out, not even the honorable Burnout series. Yes, I imagine myself ejecting the protagonist every time I get in the car, but that's just a sidenote to the whole experience, and doesn't reflect what this game's about. Everyone owes it themselves to hold judgement until really experiencing the run, because seriously nothing else out there comes close. Expand
  29. Nov 16, 2011
    What a great game, the graphics are amazing and besides the story line there are many auto challenges. The cars are great and the handling is very realistic. Best Need For Speed yet. The story had me on my seat and felt more realistic than any other racing game I have played. The intense action scenes make the story incredible. I will be playing this game till the next NFS comes out. Love it.
  30. Nov 16, 2011
    Great game, reminds me of a next-gen Outrun! Beautiful graphics too; borrows that EA frostbite 2 engine so it's state of the art apparently. Can't wait to see what's next.
  31. Nov 16, 2011
    The driving part is fun if you like arcade style racing, but I find the reset mechanism annoying... The visuals and sounds are great. The landscapes are gorgeous and quite detailed.
    However, I don't like the out of car portions. It is just a complete waste of time. On the plus side the story is ok.
    In general I would have preferred if the race would have been one big race across the US
    from start to finish, but I guess this wouldn't fit on one DVD. Maybe we will see something like that in the future? Expand
  32. Nov 15, 2011
    Cool graphics, wish I could enjoy the scenery more while I'm racing. Autolog is awesome. It's the best feeling ever when you beat your friend's best time by a fraction of a second.
  33. Nov 15, 2011
    Very fun, love the handling. Some really cool levels like the avalanche and New York. I find sim racers boring and I think this racing style with appeal to more gamers. Don't knock it until you try it.
  34. Nov 15, 2011
    I've reach Stage 4 First of all, welcome back. Blackbox This time Blackbox is trying to create a movie like racing game, just like what COD did I can't tell did they success, but so far, it's looking fine Blackbox did mentioned that the reason there is no car upgrading is to make you focus on the story and the racing itself, which I think it's ok as bodykit mod is still here The graphic is acceptable for a XBOX360 game that use Frostbite 2
    The handling is pretty nice this time, it is still an arcade game but the control makes you feel that your are driving s car but not a punk sliding on the ice
    The checkpoint/ reset system is nice, at least for me
    The QTE don't make much appearance, I'm now in Stage 4 but it only appeared twice, which is not too long
    The car selection is pretty good, well balanced between Japaneses, American and Europe cars
    The Run mode is pretty nice, cause you don't know what could happen
    The Challenge series is a nice touch for people that loves challenges
    The Level cap increased into 30, I think? So it's less easy to reach the peak.
    The car unlocking system is pretty damn hurt, the require multiplayer play-through and Challenge series
    But it's just one of the way to keep you playing
    Overall, it's a nice comeback from Blackbox who originally made the NFS series so great
    I would give it a 10, but I'm gonna give it a 9 due to the selfish act to ban Porsche from appearing on any other racing games.
    If EA cancel the ban, I will change it to 10
  35. Nov 15, 2011
    Amazing GOTY, the graphics are amazing, this is a must buy. This is the best nfs I have played, you have to buy this if you like the series. Amazing story.
  36. Nov 15, 2011
    "Need for Speed: The Run" isn't the best NFS game created, but highly entertaining. First of all, the visuals are just straight gorgeous. The frostbite 2 engine makes **** real. Every detail and aspect of the game looks realistic. The gameplay is quite different from Hot Pursuit; It's kinda more heavier in a way. The story is also a great aspect to look forward to. I won't say anything about it, but it's really a michael bay style campaign. Overall a great game that excelled my low expectations. Have fun driven! Expand
  37. Nov 15, 2011
    From dazzling scenery to spectacular set pieces, this is a worthy entry in the need for speed franchise. The frostbite 2 engine makes the whole world just stuningly beautiful and there is only so much that words can describe. Intense white knuckled racing is absolutely addicting. The autolog helps you compete with your friends and makes the game so much more competitive. Multiplayer is splendid and is even more enjoyable with friends as winning gives you much bragging rights. A huge variety of cars to choose, from vintage muscles to modern supercars. This game gives you that adrenaline feeling that few games on todays market offer. A must have for any racing fan, be it arcade or sim fan. This game is absolutely fun and I have no idea why IGN gave it such a crappy score. The only thing I agree with their review is that this game is slightly short but that may perhaps be that Im enjoying myself so much and finished the game too quickly which leaves me craving for me. This game is a masterpiece. Expand
  38. Nov 16, 2011

1. Feb 12, 2012
    As I said, I've been a fan of the Need for Speed franchise for quite some time, but even I've been rubbed a bit raw by some of the franchise's evolution over the years. It's not like EA and Black Box were struggling to find an identity, but they seemed to always be looking to switch things up just for the sake of switching. With Need for Speed: The Run, it seems like EA finally found the right mix of action and challenge, and the sporadic out-of-the-car sequences give just enough of a break to keep you pushing forward.
  2. Jan 24, 2012
    Need for Speed The Run is a game that has just enough issues to make it an average game. It is filled with potential, and it eventually could have made a really great game. The cross-country race is a great story-telling mechanic and the cutscenes are well done. The progression of the Driver Level to gain more bonuses could have been given out more consistently and some of the cars could have handled better. If you don't mind driving for a while to unlock cars and abilities, then you should find a satisfying experience.
  3. Jan 18, 2012
    Although the single-player adventure runs out of fuel way too soon, the intensity of the racing while driving beautifully rendered "dream" autos makes up for the brevity, and a few replayable modes (Challenge and online) greatly increases Need for Speed: The Run's gameplay driving distance.