• Publisher: THQ
  • Release Date: Feb 29, 2012
  • Also On: PC, PC
6.1

1. Mar 2, 2012
    A really awesome game, the gameplay is incredible, is like a son of Battlefront and Monday Night Combat, but is wow, awesome, a really funny game. Nexuiz is awesome.
  2. Mar 6, 2012
    Nexuiz is a XBLA FPS game, based on a Quake 2 Mod, from 2005 which have the latest version (2.25), launched in 2009, with a free digital distribution on PC. The game uses the engine CryEngine 3 (from Crysis 2): the game's story is about two alien races who fight among themselves for centuries, bringing destruction to their worlds; eventually they call a truce, but keep long grudges against each other, and decide to hold battles in arenas with their best warriors, instead of making war again. These fights in the arena are displayed throughout the galaxy as a diversion, called Nexuiz Competition.

The game is patterned after a purely multiplayer game playoff, like Unreal Tournament III or Monday Night Combat, without many innovations, despite being based on one of the classic games of the genre. The high speed of movement / action, and multiplayer gameplay with little history of these games are characteristic.

Nexuiz features well worked graphics in this version, with reworked animations and menus that are attractive, and the action running in 60fps, but presents some graphic details worked poorly, with pixelation, pop-ups, and environments (I speak in the same stage, not among all them) / characters very similar one to another, which is a bit confuse and monotonous. For a differential in the fast gameplay, the allies / adversaries are in two basic and distinctive colors, red and blue.

The sounds and songs are somewhat well suited: the soundtrack of the game features a lot of electronic music with synthesizers, but it's kinda generic and repetitive.

The game itself consists of a series of arenas where the objective is varied in one of these two main game modes: Team Death Match and Capture the Flag.

In Capture the Flag the goals is to capture the enemy flag, while trying to defend yours, and of course, kill any enemies that appear and try steal your flag. In Team Deathmatch, the goal is to kill as many enemies (and die the least) by the end of 10:00 minutes that is set for both modes, or to reach the limit of the goals of both modes (capturing X flags or killing Y enemies). In addition there is a Bot Training mode, controlled by the AI â
  3. Jun 17, 2012
    I really wanted this game to shine since I played the quake mod and the free release on mac and I had a good time playing it. This new version looked pretty good however it has an extremely big problem, the fan base the mod gained on PC and Mac will be unlikely to buy it on console, really few people who had the previous version will buy this one. Then comes the presentation, the menus are quite ugly and you could see not much thought was put on them. Graphic-wise this game looks pretty good since it was made with an engine we know we can trust however there are a few textures that pop and some details that could have been improved but its ok for me. Now the gameplay. Its fun to have a quick-paced arena shooter but it still has its shortcomings, there are no single player modes apart from bot practice which disappointed me a lot when my gold membership expired. After the struggle of finding a match it becomes fun and refreshing. Another problem I had was the characters, in both teams the characters looked pretty much the same, there was almost nothing that varied in character design. Overall this game manages to have fun gameplay but too many downsides for me to be able to recommend it, download the demo since its always ok to try but remember there are downsides and in a month or two really few people will be playing this. Expand
  4. Mar 18, 2012
    While multiplayer seems to be a much larger focus nowadays in gaming, the genre of Arena Shooter seems to have vanished. Through the dust, though, bursts Nexuiz, an XBLA game that aims to bring back classic and simple multiplayer shooting back. Nexuiz is a great choice for anyone who is looking for a fun multiplayer shooter with a small price tag and no strings attached.
  5. Feb 29, 2012
    Wasn't even expecting this game to be out, but it's a pleasant surprise. Awesome online action with great graphics, totally worth $10! If you haven't played it yet, I think there is a free demo on XBLA.
  6. Mar 1, 2012
    The Gameplay of Nexuiz is fun, refreshing and addictive. There is a variety of cool weapons such as machine guns, rocket launchers, sniper rifles, etc. Each battle starts you off with a shotgun, and as you explore the map, you find many different weapons that you can pick up, without having to drop any of the ones you have. Also, most weapons have two shooting features, short range on the right trigger, and long rang on the left, or vice versa. The main problem I had with the game was the presentation. The graphics are what you would expect from the CryEngine (amazing) and there are many catchy tunes throughout the game, but the menus and leaderboards ruined the experience for me. The menus look like they were taken from a fps made in 1996, and really contrast from the polished feeling of the game. There are no tutorials, besides a picture of a controller and which buttons do what. This would usually not be a problem, but since this game is a lot different from other fps's on the market, there is a very steep learning curve. But my biggest problem with the game is the stats. I have played this game multiple times, but it seems it has only recorded my stats from the first game i have played. I'm lucky, some people's stats say that they have not played a single game. Hopefully they give some patches and updates, but until then, I can not enjoy the game as much as I wish i could. Expand
  7. Nov 16, 2012
    No players online. Bot's are OK, but don't really use powerups effectively. Good and cheap if you and a friend feel a need for some old school action online 1 on 1, but for more than that, look elsewhere
  8. Mar 2, 2012
    Not a bad game by any means, but nothing special. Sure its only 10 bucks, but if you're craving this type of Quake/Unreal twitch shooter, go to Gamestop and pick up Unreal Tournament 3 for 5 bucks. Its a better game.
  9. Feb 29, 2012
    When I first saw this game's trailer, I shook my head in disbelief. How could a game change so much from its original form in just only around 6 years? In case you don't know, Nexuiz was an old Quake 2 mod from 2005. It was a fun Multiplayer arena FPS, and better yet, it was FREE. The game finally comes back after 7 years in 2012 under the same title, Nexuiz. Now just because it has changed so much from its original form, doesn't mean it is a bad game. Its a fun game and great for people who like to play the classic, fast-paced, arena shooters we all know and love, e.g. Quake 3 or Unreal Tournament. The game looks absolutely beautiful for a console game and runs at an amazing 60 fps. Tight controls, fun gameplay, and endless replayability, this game is great for old and new fans alike. However, Many can agree that PC is made for these types of fast-paced shooters, as on console you aim sort of on a grid, making it slower to aim around you and slower to react to being shot. This can ruin it at sometimes, but mostly, you will be OK when it comes to the console shooter. Another complaint I have is that there is a very limited number of maps, only 9 available at launch. Obviously this can be fixed through DLC packages and what-not, but its no excuse for the amount at launch. This is a very fun arena shooter, a good game for those who are looking for a new console "old-school" style, Fast-paced FPS. Expand
  10. Mar 4, 2012
    I first saw this game on the front of XBL. Wasn't really sure what to except but was a fan of PC Arena shooters. Figured I would give it a try and really liked it. Yeah its not perfect but I've had lots of fun hours the last couple of days playing the game. It brought me back to the old days of Quake and UT. I highly recommend you check it out!
  11. Mar 6, 2012

Nothing we haven't seen before. [June 2012, p.101]
  2. Apr 12, 2012
    It's a solid little shooter, but there are so many different ways to shoot people online now that it's hard to get excited at a game like this one. [May 2012, p.60]
  3. Apr 11, 2012
    The overall impression is of a thoroughly mediocre arena-shooter that never quite manages to deliver. On a crowded online market Nexuiz is reduced to a short term affair without much longevity. As this is a game that relies solely on an active multiplayer community, it's hard to tell how long Illfonic can manage to keep this going. Unfortunately, Nexuiz is not the game to revive the arena-shooter.