8.2

1. Jeff
    Sep 10, 2007
    After playing both games (08 and 2k8) I feel this is the better of the two. The players faces look incredible and I think they are better in this game than any of the other sports games out to date. I hated 07 because of the skating and poor defense so I ended up with 2k7. I feel that they fixed those problems and this really feels and plays like a hockey game should. I love hockey and I After playing both games (08 and 2k8) I feel this is the better of the two. The players faces look incredible and I think they are better in this game than any of the other sports games out to date. I hated 07 because of the skating and poor defense so I ended up with 2k7. I feel that they fixed those problems and this really feels and plays like a hockey game should. I love hockey and I think this game will help the NHL and help a younger generation learn to love hockey. My big gripes are that the Avalanche (and many other teams) are rated too low (but that can be fixed when editing players) and I feel the scoring is still a bit too easy. I need to try it now on the hardest level and that may help a bit. Expand
  2. JohnR.
    Sep 13, 2007
    Most authentic sports game I have ever played. Try it and you will be like millions of others already in the know, that hockey is the greatest sport in the world.
  3. FredD.
    Sep 23, 2007
    Great hockey game , finally EA you made it , after 5 years of poor hockey titles.
  4. TomL.
    Jan 8, 2008
    Amazing game! Amazing graphics, superb gameplay, absolute authenticity, what more could you want from a game? An essential for any hockey fan. Its the only game i use on my 360, its that good!!!
  5. Josh
    Sep 12, 2007
    It takes a bit of getting used to, but its like that with every installment of NHL. The Defences are alot better, so when you score you know you deserved it. When you are cycling the puck in the offensive zone the defence will take away passing lanes forcing you to make smarter passes and use your defencemen to open up some holes. It feels lik you are playing an actual hockey game. The It takes a bit of getting used to, but its like that with every installment of NHL. The Defences are alot better, so when you score you know you deserved it. When you are cycling the puck in the offensive zone the defence will take away passing lanes forcing you to make smarter passes and use your defencemen to open up some holes. It feels lik you are playing an actual hockey game. The fighting is a huge disappointment, you just pound away at the other guy (no clutching, grabbing, etc.) There are some minor issues that have not been addressed, but this is a HUGE step in the right direction. Bye bye 2k8. Expand
  6. RickL.
    Sep 13, 2007
    This is my 16th year buying a yearly hockey game. Pluses: The graphics & superstars look strikingly realistic, the ability to play as all 29 AHL teams & rosters, Gary Thorne & Bill Clement (no goofy commentating), Great looking arenas (even the AHL ones are accurately named!), realistic penalty calling that doesn't affect game flow, every current Rbk Edge uniform for all teams NHL & This is my 16th year buying a yearly hockey game. Pluses: The graphics & superstars look strikingly realistic, the ability to play as all 29 AHL teams & rosters, Gary Thorne & Bill Clement (no goofy commentating), Great looking arenas (even the AHL ones are accurately named!), realistic penalty calling that doesn't affect game flow, every current Rbk Edge uniform for all teams NHL & AHL, good franchise/dynasty mode, and lots of equipment customization for players & goalies featuring all major equipment brands. Minuses: Some second line players look nothing like their counterparts (Boston's Bergeron, Kessel & Axelsson, for example), fighting really sucks (has any game ever gotten this right?), presentation kind of sucks (no stats shown at all during a game, the few player cutscenes only show height/weight info), typical EA Sports Trax that gets on your nerves after an hour, some difficult to naviagate menues. Overall, the best looking hockey game I've ever played, and maybe the most impressive. The only thing that kept me from buying '07 over 2k7 was the level of customization, and that's been addressed this year. Any negatives are only minor issues. Hardcore hockey fans need to get this game immediately, it's far superior to 2k8, and the closest yet you'll get to stepping on NHL ice. Thanks EA! Expand
  7. SteveG.
    Sep 13, 2007
    I am one of the most fanatic of hockey you can Imagine, I have played a lot of NHL, even if I tought that 07 was the best...I just realise thet this one is just above that, it's not perfect but it's the best hockey gaem I ever played...and I told you ...I played a lot....wonderful!!!
  8. KevinD.
    Sep 20, 2007
    Best representation of a sport in the history of video games! Fluid skating, great AI... I was a 2K fan, but EA's got me this year with 08.
  9. NV
    Sep 14, 2007
    Longtime EA fan, I loved 07, but this is leaps and bounds above it as far as gameplay goes. Lots of team and player creation and customization too,a nd all in a super slick package. A few minor hickups (why only 24 created-team logos are available feels like a bit of cop-out), but otherwise don't detract from a superb effort. This is a must-have for all true hockey fans.
  10. Red
    Sep 17, 2007
    The game is pretty nice so far, I'm liking it alot. The game has a much more simulation feel than the last few years which is a good thing - no more devastating hits from 180lbs wingers. Maybe they have taken a cue from the Winning Eleven Soccer series. I've seen some strange goals, but other than that, its fine and fun so far.
  11. ratp0is0nratp
    Sep 24, 2007
    Excellent. So real its almost creepy.
  12. FredK
    May 16, 2008
    The NHL 08 gameplay has really improved and it looks more like Hockey games than the older versions. Better puck control and more structured Powerplays. Hits are more tough to make (especially when you control Martin St-louis and try hitting Zdeno Chara). It's a really good game and I love it , but it can be even Better . - The goalies are way too hard to beat (but sometimes they The NHL 08 gameplay has really improved and it looks more like Hockey games than the older versions. Better puck control and more structured Powerplays. Hits are more tough to make (especially when you control Martin St-louis and try hitting Zdeno Chara). It's a really good game and I love it , but it can be even Better . - The goalies are way too hard to beat (but sometimes they give up some weird goals) -The Dynasty mode could be better: - The Prospects Drafted (first Overall) sucks (53 potential) - The GM cannot make "investments" - The GM cannot sign players of his own team during the season , only during the off-season. Expand

1. Yes, NHL 08 can feel challenging and hard, but it rewards you with the sport's best representation in videogame form that we've seen yet. [Oct 2007, p.73]
  2. 08 is the best hockey game in years. [Oct 2007, p.87]
  3. The most fun NHL game to come out in a long time. The smooth skating and the nicely flowing action make it an enjoyable hockey experience. The AI could still use some fine-tuning, though. [Sept 2007]