NHL 13 Xbox 360

6.6

1. Sep 11, 2012
    The game is good. But the fact that I have to pay 60$ a year for incremental updates is kind of dumb. They need to change a lot more and really make it a true sequel. So far the game is good, but feels a lot like NHL 12. They did do some tweaking with multiplayer though for the better. Overall this game gets a 7.
  2. Sep 13, 2012
    Heres the down and dirty. Some improvments, but over all EA blew it again, they just dont care. Everyone should realize that now, they have the monopoly and know they dont need to make quality anymore, because they're the only game in town. On to the review....

Passing: Still flawed, big time. Opposing team can thread the needle through everyone of your team mates legs and sticks, and your team will barely respond. You will be intercepted regularly, have it bounce off opposing players skates and legs, and have your saucer passes knocked out of the air. You will also randomly pass in the wrong direction or to the other team...and the computer will NEVER do that.
    Shooting: You're shooting is solid, but there seems to be accuracy issues sometimes. The computer though, will score on you three times from the same spot, just across the blue line, to the same spot on your goalie, if your playing perfect D and not giving them the chance to get in close. Skating: Its great, and more realistic..for you. The computer can still seem to play by whatever rules it wants. They're whole team will rush and none of yours will be able to maintain with them. You'll rush with your best skater, using boost, and they're defender will skate backwards and keep up. They'll have a shooting frenzy while skating circles around you.
    Checking: Computers forwards will still take a full blast check to the boards by your D, not fall down, but also skate away with the puck..they even do it three times in a row, skate around your goal and score on you. Your forward will be grazed going for the net and end up on his ass.
    AI: Great AI for the opposing team, really makes you work for your goals. The AI for you team...these guys probably shouldnt have sharp blades on their feet. Unless you switch to a player, dont expect him to do anything. They will only chase the guy with the puck, wont check, wont poke check, wont use boost to catch him. They wont eve pursue the puck most of the time, when it comes loose...they'll just sit there and stare at.

Some improvements, computer AI strategy wise...awesome. But still to little to make the game a good buy. Rent it, or buy an older year, dont be a dope like me and buy it because you snapped NHL12 in a fit of rage because of its flaws, just to be duped again. If no one buys, EA loses money, and eventually has to start caring about the actual content they are trying to sell.
  3. Sep 13, 2012
    I am fan of ice hockey and I love to watch it. Last year NHL 12 was totally same like 11,10 etc.. From this year there are some changes, but for this price its not worth it. The new movements from goaltender are good, but its enough? I guess so not. What I like in this year is skating, seems like real. But .. when you hit player, he is going sooooo far from you, like if he has wings ...I am fan of ice hockey and I love to watch it. Last year NHL 12 was totally same like 11,10 etc.. From this year there are some changes, but for this price its not worth it. The new movements from goaltender are good, but its enough? I guess so not. What I like in this year is skating, seems like real. But .. when you hit player, he is going sooooo far from you, like if he has wings ... yep its ea sports. Online game is better than against cpu. So far, its still better than 12 and finally, you can recognize players, faces are good! Expand
  4. Sep 12, 2012
    I don't feel any difference to the game except for a few skating and momentum tweaks. Some nice new editions to the game is good. Just not worth 60$. I think people should wait until the price lowers in a few months.
  5. Sep 11, 2012
    good game but the new improvements weren't worth the 60$ upgrade from nhl12.i know Chris Munro really liked this game but it has under 82 meta critic score so by definition that would make this game bad
  6. Jul 18, 2013
    The issue that I am having with NHL 13 is the fact that each year the franchise is taking a step backwards when it comes to gameplay. Don't get me wrong what they are trying to do with controls is a great improvement from previous titles but the issue is that the controls are janky. Passes that go off in random directions shot that are not taken even with the proper input on the controls.The issue that I am having with NHL 13 is the fact that each year the franchise is taking a step backwards when it comes to gameplay. Don't get me wrong what they are trying to do with controls is a great improvement from previous titles but the issue is that the controls are janky. Passes that go off in random directions shot that are not taken even with the proper input on the controls. For a company that has so many developers you would think that a polished game would be standard but in the case of NHL 13 it looks like the developers couldn't care less about putting time and effort into their game. Another glaring issue is the physics and AI. When someone is taking a shot and another object interferes with the players stick the shot should reflect that interference but instead the shot is perfect since the stick can magically phase through objects. And finally with the AI who are the demi gods of NHL 13, whoever was in charge of balancing AI over at EA should be fired. To put my opinions on NHL 13 more bluntly, I am having more fun playing Fifa 13 than I am NHL 13, and I played hockey my entire life and hated soccer. Expand
  7. Apr 25, 2013
    I'm sorry, if this is a type of game for people who would rather not play past nhl games, I'm fine with that, but I never got into the game, and it made me feel like realism isn't always for the better. The gameplay is alright, but isn't one of the best hockey games out there, as far as gameplay wise, but the visuals for the game are actually great, as far as I can think of.

If you

If you would like to try the game, I can't say based off of my opinion if you will like the game or not, but it is worth the time to buy the game.
  8. Dec 21, 2014
    It is on the edge of fun because it just isnt enough gameplay and I hate the game because any loser can just play it and win and the AI pisses me of a lot
  9. Jan 25, 2013
    Being a huge hockey fan I can appreciate the gameplay and realism, with how the goals are scored and such but this game is still extremely frustrating to play. The realism, skating, gameplay etc is better than ever but still some major flaws.

-Puck control, I can steam roll one of there players with a body check ut they still get up and get the puck before mu defender can, yet if I go anywhere near there players they take the puck away
    -Loose pucks, same issue, can't seem to get the puck no matter how much closer I am than they are
    -One timers, I guess they tried to fix the glitch from last year with it being so easy to score on one timers, however not it is pretty much impossible to score on a legitimate one timer no matter how good the set up is. -Passing, the CPU can seem to make unreal passes all night long, intercept all mine and any pass I seem to make in there end gets intercepted.
    -Even with all this I would love the game except for this one thing that has been pissing me off for ever in the EA games, when the CPU wants to score/win, it does, I have had games where I dominatem outshooting them quite badly and still lose, just outshot Edmonton 33 - 9 and lost 1-0, one playoff game I had I outshot Carolina 43-5 and lost 3-1. Totally retarded how you can dominate and still lose and get scored on.
    -Last but not least is the trade expectations of the CPU, it went from making easy trades in 12 to having to drastically overpay to get anyone decent in 13, not realistic at all.

1. Hyper Magazine
    Jan 24, 2013
    It's the ability to check opponents that is the real highlight of the violence. [Feb 2013, p.80]
  2. Official Xbox Magazine UK
    Nov 16, 2012
    Still strong, but starting to show its age. [Dec 2012, p.103]
  3. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Oct 29, 2012
    Finally the major changes come to the ice-hockey simulation and we have got quite a lot of improvements after last year's stagnation. [Oct 2012]