Prototype 2 Xbox 360

7.0

1. Jun 23, 2017
    Prototype 2 is a decent game,but can't reach the standards of the original

Gameplay is pretty much the same,with no major changes.However,the flaw with this game is that it's far too easy.I only died 4 times throughout the entire game,two of which were on the final boss.That brings me to the bosses,which are nowhere near as exciting as the first game's bosses. Graphics have improved
    Prototype 2 is a decent game,but can't reach the standards of the original

Graphics have improved majorly from the first game,but the framerate drops occasionally.

The main character of this game,James Heller,isn't very good,cracking out sh*t your mom jokes,compared to the complete badassery of Alex from the first game.

The soundtrack and sound design are passable.

Overall,Prototype 2 doesn't quite reach the quality of the first game,it's still fun and I recommend picking it up for cheap.
  2. Aug 19, 2014
    Put into simple words Prototype 2 is just majestically they format and layout of the maps and how the cities connect is just pure genus the company should me immensely proud of there achievement. The combat is just out standing, it does take a bit of mucking around with to learn the controls and the different skills but that's where the campaign plays a massive roll. Unlike many gamesPut into simple words Prototype 2 is just majestically they format and layout of the maps and how the cities connect is just pure genus the company should me immensely proud of there achievement. The combat is just out standing, it does take a bit of mucking around with to learn the controls and the different skills but that's where the campaign plays a massive roll. Unlike many games where you learn a skill, you get one lesson or mission and then your in the deep end. In this you have continuous missions where they make it mandatory to us that skill, in the long run this makes sure a beginner weapon isn't left for dead once you obtain a more over power one. The story line unfortunately isn't all up to par dont get me wrong its still a thrilling story but it is allot the same you kill someone absorb them enter a room kill them and obtain info, and so on and so on. The game holds allot of twists and turns which keeps it from being boring and it is a short game so it doesn't over stay its welcome. The end boss fight is highly challenging and takes a couple trys even on easy it really does top the cake. Over all i was immensely happy with the over all game. Expand
  3. May 29, 2014
    A openworld for adults to just **** around. Even tho there isn't this much to do, it is still a lot of fun to just run a wall up and smash into the ground. Story is dull, but who cares another innocent civilian to kill yeah.
    As you may have guesed it. Game is a **** ton of fun.
  4. May 27, 2014
    Very, very exaggerated. Too easy, you're the most powerful person in the story, there's no army that can defeat you. I think that the first game can be better. And there is that thing SPOILER: Heller kills Alex in the ending. That's why most people were so disappointed with the game, besides being unsightly.
  5. Mar 3, 2014
    Even though it's not the best game it's the COOLEST game!

Pros: Nice graphics. Not the best but certainly better then the first one. Great gameplay, Nice level up system. Missions was fun. Hellar is a good protagonist Last boss fight was challenging. Con: Too easy except for the last battle. Bad story, needed more personality. Too short for an open world game, should've been
    Even though it's not the best game it's the COOLEST game!

Pros:
    Nice graphics. Not the best but certainly better then the first one.
    Great gameplay,
    Nice level up system.
    Missions was fun.
    Hellar is a good protagonist
    Last boss fight was challenging.

Con:
    Too easy except for the last battle.
    Bad story, needed more personality.
    Too short for an open world game, should've been longer then 15 hours.
  6. Feb 16, 2014
    This seemed like a good choice because it was only $40, this was not the case. To me, the storyline is boring, the city is bland, the characters are bland and the gameplay is repetitive. Learning new attacks were the only fun thing but that didn't last long. Not worth $40, not worth 10.
  7. Sep 13, 2013
    super dumb fun! can't go wrong picking this game up now for around 20 bucks. fun campaign with a tonne of violence and dumb fun fun powers and cool gameplay
  8. Jul 1, 2013
    Now, I never played the original, but Prototype 2 is loads of fun with cars to throw at civilians, and, well, zombies to throw at civilians. ANYTHING to throw at civilians.

This game has a multitude of missions and upgrades to destroy the enemy with. I would say that my only concern are somewhat clanky controls. Otherwise, good buy for only about $25 now. Overall 8 Story 7

Overall 8

Story 7
    Free-Roam 9
    "Fun" Level 8

Accidentally posted this review on my old profile first. Oh well.
  9. Jul 1, 2013

Overall 8

Story 7
    Free-Roam 9
    "Fun" Level 8
  10. May 28, 2013
    Totally underated. One of the gems of this generation. Huge improvement over the overhyped original. That was a broken game. This is everything this original was supposed to be and so much more.

Great protagonist, great powers, great pacing, hugely improved graphics, immensely improved combat, hugely improved game scheme (how to get your powers/how to initiate certain sidemissions). This is one of the best open world games where you feel almighty and it has none of the frustration of the original. This is obviously very well planned as to when to get certain powers or when to move to the next area.

The only drawback as I see it is that it's not much of a challenge. Even in hard. I haven't tried Insane.

So much fun to be had in this virtual playground. So many possibilities.
  11. May 9, 2013
    Great gameplay, good graphics, very addictive story, maybe a little easier after you have just played Prototype. If you liked Prototype, you will love this game.
  12. Feb 26, 2013
    Ironically, this is a game better played if chosen over the first one. If you haven't played the first one or checked out the in-game recap, the story will be much more interesting, as will be the game, since you will not know whose side Alex Mercer is in along with other things I don't want to spoil. Fortunately, I did no play the first until after I finished this one, therefore foundIronically, this is a game better played if chosen over the first one. If you haven't played the first one or checked out the in-game recap, the story will be much more interesting, as will be the game, since you will not know whose side Alex Mercer is in along with other things I don't want to spoil. Fortunately, I did no play the first until after I finished this one, therefore found this game to be very well made.

However, I can see why some people would be less interested if they have played the first one. It would take a lot of the mystery out of the story.

The only negatives I have about the game-play is the slightly repetitive missions (although it is funny to hear the main character point that out as well at the very least) and the targeting system.

If you have not played the first yet, then don't, but start with this one instead, and you will be satisfied. Honestly, it would have been better if Radical made this the first game and the other a prequel.
  13. Oct 14, 2012
    So sad - I loved the first prototype, this one is full of flaws; graphics, gameplay, cinematics and voice acting are all good, but the story is unbelievable trite. The depth and sense of discovery of the original are gone, replaced by a horrible moronic, rude bastard protagonist who has no depth, with inconsistencies bridging the gaps in the story. And that's putting it kindly. TheSo sad - I loved the first prototype, this one is full of flaws; graphics, gameplay, cinematics and voice acting are all good, but the story is unbelievable trite. The depth and sense of discovery of the original are gone, replaced by a horrible moronic, rude bastard protagonist who has no depth, with inconsistencies bridging the gaps in the story. And that's putting it kindly. The gameplay itself is fun but repetitive and where some good writing might have painted over that, some side missions are so thoughtless that the imprints of the facepalms have yet to disappear from my forehead.

I hear Radical was closed down after this game, which is a horrible shame in multiple ways - the original Prototype created a new and compelling experience that many a good sequel might have been built on. On the other hand, it appears that maybe all the writing talent left or artistic priorities were set very differently this round.
  14. Oct 10, 2012
    I got this game Via Gamefly and played it str8 tru in about 3 days. It was a great game. It took all of the things i loved about the first game and really beefed them up and polished the hell out of them. The combat style is much more friendly and the difficulty is turned down very much but i think this is due to the controls being much smother than the first. Good story line. The onlyI got this game Via Gamefly and played it str8 tru in about 3 days. It was a great game. It took all of the things i loved about the first game and really beefed them up and polished the hell out of them. The combat style is much more friendly and the difficulty is turned down very much but i think this is due to the controls being much smother than the first. Good story line. The only reason i didn't give the game a ten was the lame activation code to get more content and i felt like there should have been more things to do in the game. When i found all the collectibles and finished the story like it made it almost impossible for me to finish maxing out my character. it is unfathomable how incredible the char in this story is. Great game! Expand
  15. Oct 9, 2012
    This game in a lot of ways is very similiar to the original, in ways that you'd expect them to be. Graphics, gameplay, etc, but a few things they changed around that I personally did not care for, at all.

One of the things they changed is that rather then making it a true sandbox game in one huge map, they instead decided to cut the map in 3 different zones, and the only way to go to the other zones is to take a "ferry" across. This kinda ruined it for me, because the maps felt a lot smaller because of it, I didnt get a sandbox feeling this time

Another issue i think is the way you get upgrades this time around. Rather then just getting EP points (Evolution Points) from killing just about anything, and then spending said points on the upgrades you want, in the order you want, you are FORCED to do the same 3 side quests constantly to unlock a limited number of upgrades. Whenever you complete a series you get 1 upgrade point. This again totally ruins the sandbox feel of the game, because there literally is no point in killing random stuff.

The last thing that plagues this game is that the game is very short. You can easily finish it in 1 day, and that includes doing all the optional stuff.

They did improve on a few things, but nowhere near enough features to make up for the fact that they ruined many existing features.

Anyone who claims this is a improvement over the original, did not play either of these games.
  16. Sep 3, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm not sure what I expected when I decided to play Prototype 2, after playing and beating the first Prototype. I really loved the first prototype, it was fun just to decimate everything innocent,, evil or just in your damned way in the first. But in the second it feels like the people are weeds, and serve no other purpose other than to be street filler, while in the previous you would get a lil total of destructive damage you had done in your ultimate rampages. The same go with infected humans, you are already so overpowered at the beginning of Prototype 2 as Heller that the basic human infected are just little piece of cardboard that crumbles to your presence. While some side missions offer rewards when you either run over infected humans, or kill multiple of them at the same time, it's really not enough for ya to care about doing. As for the story, I can understand a little bit of making Mercer the villain, but it feels like they are trying to throw 50 curveballs at you at once where after awhile you just say to yourself, "Screw it everyone's evil, kill them all." which is pretty much the attitude Heller has towards everyone and everything in the game, except the one or two allies you may have. The battle mechanics are pretty fun, such as the power combos and such. But it was also fun in the older, when you switched up powers and armor and the like for different situations. But all in all it could all be easily explained that the reason they did the changes with powers and things like that because you are not playing Mercer but a different infected main character. I do miss the mini-games that you could do for more evolution points in the previous version, cause I do have to say it's rather annoying when you do a side mission and every single one that has to do with racing a clock is, "Oh no my helicopter is exploding, and I'm dropping cargo everywhere." I start to think, damn you would think they would find a different way of transporting these very important shipments of cargo, than these terrible helicopter pilots. I feel no connection to the main character and to be honest his intro is rather bland, he's the Batman of Prototype except a mass murderer who gets his jollies off of shoving his foot up peoples asses. To be honest, I would rather have been playing as Jack Mercer for a second time, and have Heller be the villain. Expand
  17. Aug 12, 2012
    Gameplay is fantastic, just as I expected. Story is not as good. The protagonist, James Heller, is too simple minded. Playing as Heller is not as fun as playing as Alex Mercer, who underwent from avenger to redeemer. I don't think Alex from Prototype 1 would turn into the villain in 2, based on his character: He hunts down the runners, he saves the city, he cares about his sister, heGameplay is fantastic, just as I expected. Story is not as good. The protagonist, James Heller, is too simple minded. Playing as Heller is not as fun as playing as Alex Mercer, who underwent from avenger to redeemer. I don't think Alex from Prototype 1 would turn into the villain in 2, based on his character: He hunts down the runners, he saves the city, he cares about his sister, he doesn't easily trust others (why would he recklessly give so many random people with shapeshifting powers in 2?), etc. Alex Mercer from 1 is my favorite protagonist of all time. The team shouldn't have made him the villain. Expand
  18. Jul 8, 2012
    You know those Jason Statham movies? You know - Crank? The Transporter? - well none of them will win any Oscars. But they are all good, fun, enjoyable action movies. Well - Prototype 2 is a bit like that. There are better games. But the game is so much fun to play. The game is also 'similar' to Batman Arkham City - open world environment, running, climbing (or in this case running) upYou know those Jason Statham movies? You know - Crank? The Transporter? - well none of them will win any Oscars. But they are all good, fun, enjoyable action movies. Well - Prototype 2 is a bit like that. There are better games. But the game is so much fun to play. The game is also 'similar' to Batman Arkham City - open world environment, running, climbing (or in this case running) up walls and gliding through the cityscape. Getting into semi button bashing fights. Missions etc etc.

Batman is probably more polished. So this might be it's bruitish, loveable rogue of a brother.

It's a bit repetative - but this could be levelled at a lot of games.

I picked this up 2nd hand for £20 and I see Amazon have it new for £25. Well worth it if you just fancy a bit of mindless action.
  19. Jun 18, 2012
    I love this game. Actually it
  20. May 31, 2012
    This game boils down to one thing: How much the entertainment value, or "fun factor", really affects how you enjoy a game. If your here for things like story or originality, steer very clear of this title. However if all that matters to you is that you can go in there and beat the crap out of a billion dudes at once, you'll feel right at home here. I personally think the sandbox GTA-styleThis game boils down to one thing: How much the entertainment value, or "fun factor", really affects how you enjoy a game. If your here for things like story or originality, steer very clear of this title. However if all that matters to you is that you can go in there and beat the crap out of a billion dudes at once, you'll feel right at home here. I personally think the sandbox GTA-style games have gotten fairly old at this point and this game really was no different from the many other GTA spinoffs over the years. It was one of the funnest games I've played in awhile though so that really helps it's cause. I don't think that this game is worth a full 60 dollars right now though. I bought it for 30 on amazon the other day and I'd say that would be a fair price for a game like this right now. It will inevitably see another sale price in the coming months so I'd wait on buying this game and going out and purchasing Max Payne 3 if your desperate for an awesome, new game worth it's 60 dollar price tag. This game can wait. Expand
  21. May 27, 2012
    Before I continue I just want to say that this game is VERY entertaining and if your looking for a great action game pick this up. Now on to more detail , You get to play as Sgt. James Heller a soldier who is trying to avenge the death of his family as a result of the Mercer virus. You wind up becoming infected with the virus and this is how we start our game. Throughout the game you getBefore I continue I just want to say that this game is VERY entertaining and if your looking for a great action game pick this up. Now on to more detail , You get to play as Sgt. James Heller a soldier who is trying to avenge the death of his family as a result of the Mercer virus. You wind up becoming infected with the virus and this is how we start our game. Throughout the game you get progressively more powerful as you upgrade heller and the action is very entertaining although repetitive along with the mission structure but there is plenty to do. So if your looking for a very good content filled action game then this is for you. Expand
  22. May 26, 2012
    I loved Prototype 1 so I was looking forward to this title. And It didn't disappoint for the most part. Graphics are nice, especially I loved the building textures. Voice acting was alright IMO. The soundtrack was rather disappointing and not memorable. I really liked the story, even though it seemed generic at first, the ending, however, was questionable. A lot of the gameplay mechanicsI loved Prototype 1 so I was looking forward to this title. And It didn't disappoint for the most part. Graphics are nice, especially I loved the building textures. Voice acting was alright IMO. The soundtrack was rather disappointing and not memorable. I really liked the story, even though it seemed generic at first, the ending, however, was questionable. A lot of the gameplay mechanics were corrected so now it's even more fun to play than in the first game. Unfortunately developers removed some cool powers from the first game, like shock waves and all the different types of devastators(there is only one now), but they also added some new features. All in all it's a great game and a great follow up to its predecessor and I recommend you to buy it if you enjoyed the first prototype. Expand
  23. May 22, 2012
    With Prototype 2 you will have a lot of fun. The graphics are a lot better than from the first one, the story is not very complex but okay, the sound is good and the most important thing, the gameplay is just insane fun. Sadly it is over too soon, but I had very much fun playing god in NYZ!
  24. May 21, 2012
    I loved the first Prototype, played it for ages. I was stoked for Prototype 2, and honestly, it disappointed me just a little. To me, it didn't seem all that much of an improvement over the first one. Don't get me wrong, it is definitely improved, with many issues fixed, but I expected more. More abilities and powers, more vehicles, more fun and varying missions... All that aside, II loved the first Prototype, played it for ages. I was stoked for Prototype 2, and honestly, it disappointed me just a little. To me, it didn't seem all that much of an improvement over the first one. Don't get me wrong, it is definitely improved, with many issues fixed, but I expected more. More abilities and powers, more vehicles, more fun and varying missions... All that aside, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm no expert when it comes to evaluating stories, but from what I could see, the story didn't seem as terrible as people are making it out to be. It's a little sloppy most of the time, but I really wasn't expecting much in that aspect. Gameplay is pretty much the same as the original, with a few extra things thrown in. It seems a little stale after playing the original so much, but there's still lots of fun to be had. I actually quite enjoyed the melee combat, thought it was quite fresh, although I'll admit it can get annoying sometimes, especially when you're fighting more than one enemy. The main character, Heller, is alright. I'm pretty neutral towards him, not anywhere near a fantastic, well developed character, but I don't hate him. In the end, if you liked the first Prototype, you will like this one. It's got everything the first one did and more, just not enough "more" to draw many more people than the original fans in. I will say that, considering the game's length, renting it is more than enough to enjoy the entirety of the game unless you're a big fan and are sure you'll come back for another round through the campaign in a few months. Expand
  25. May 21, 2012
    prototype 2 have a solid gameplay, more then awful story, and no replay value.
    over all, it is really fun to blow up people to wires or fly to a tall building with a random soldier and then let him fly and follow him on he way down.
    but the graphics feels abit outdated and the story is so damn awful that the game overall suck. I played the game twice, one for the first playthrough and one
    prototype 2 have a solid gameplay, more then awful story, and no replay value.
    I played the game twice, one for the first playthrough and one for the achievements that I had left and for the new game+ and I know for a fact that I will not play this game anymore.
  26. May 20, 2012
    Alla lunga ripetitivo e poco interessante ha sicuramente un gameplay divertente, ma secondo me non molto profondo. Tecnicamente mediocre, colonna sonora senza infamia e senza lode.
  27. May 16, 2012
    Despite being extremely excited for the sequel to a game I found to have a good amount of further potential, Prototype 2 left me wanting more and receiving less.

The biggest problems were the result of too much time being spent on improving the look of the game than the game-play experience. While the graphics engine received some considerable improvements that are, in some areas, quite impressive, many other aspects of the game came in under the expected mark, even when compared to the first.

It's predictable and dis-jointed story and flawed game-play mechanics take too much away from the experience to make this a winner.

Sorry Radical, better luck next time.
  28. May 14, 2012
    One of the best sandbox games I've played in a while... here's the "but" though: it's not better than the previous installment per se. Different, but not better.

The weapons, in this game's case the weapons are any given growth you arms turn into, are more balanced, but there's less of them. Additionally, leveling has been streamlined, a fact everyone and their mother seems to enjoy for whatever reason, making the choices easier but a lot more restricted.

As par with any sandbox game there's plenty of collectibles and side events to discover, but you only know that you're near them when you get with 160 odd feet or yards or whatever and you have to find it from there using a hot-or-cold-esque meter. Since this game takes place in NY City-ish Land it's pretty much required that you use a guide to find any of them, let alone all of them. Doing enough of these in any given area will unlock a bonus, but as they are extremely difficult to find, the bonuses are small, don't affect gameplay much, and aren't required to beat the game. Thus we have one of the few instances in a sandbox game where I haven't felt compelled in the least to find all the collectibles and side bits.

One small thing of note that I really enjoyed was the side mission radar you have. Here's how it works: sometimes you'll find specially marked people to devour and the game will then direct you to a specific console on the side of an enemy (called Blackwatch) van that you need to access and then you'll do a little side mission. Most of the time however, you'll access the van first as they are one of the few things always marked on your map. In this case, you have to find the guy you need on your own with the help of this radar thing. It works by clicking the thumb stick which sends out a radar like ping from your location across the game world and your target will send one back once it hits them, giving you a general direction to go in as well as an idea as to how far away they are. It's a really innovative way to tell the player where to look for stuff without actually telling the player where it is and I only wish the game used this feature as the means to find everything not directly related to the story.

Ah, the story... Prototype 1's story wasn't the best, easily the weakest part of the game, but Prototype 2's story is as generic as they come. I don't want to spoil anything, but by the time I was watching the cutscene before the final boss fight (one guess as to who it is) I had long since found the story to be bordering on the cartoonish, the villain no doubt wishing he had a mustache to twirl as he monologues about his evil plans for world domination. And after you beat him the game just ends with very little resolved.

Why then the positive rating? If you can't see the fun to be had from playing as an extremely agile Clayface who heals himself by absorbing hapless pedestrians through osmosis, then you are the definition of odd.
  29. May 11, 2012
    A lot of people will disagree with the score I gave this game, and I completely understand why. No this is not a very artistic game like Assassin's Creed or Mass Effect, and from a real critical perspective it probably deserves more of a 7. I like everyone else enjoy the artistic games very much, but sometimes I just want to unwind and run around New York with seemingly unstoppable powers,A lot of people will disagree with the score I gave this game, and I completely understand why. No this is not a very artistic game like Assassin's Creed or Mass Effect, and from a real critical perspective it probably deserves more of a 7. I like everyone else enjoy the artistic games very much, but sometimes I just want to unwind and run around New York with seemingly unstoppable powers, and reek havoc on those around me. Sure that might be a dark way to see it, but honestly the game play is just really fun. Don't anticipate a video game blockbuster with this game, but if you go into it just wanting to have fun and can ignore okay graphics, mediocre story, and alright voice acting then this game is for you. The upgrade system is vastly improved, as is the combat and the powers (the tendrils kick ass). Basically, don't try it if you are looking for an incredible game, but if you're like me and can enjoy a game simply for its game play then you'll have a blast. Expand
  30. May 9, 2012
    Prototype 2 is essentially a marginally improved version of Prototype, with much of the baggage the original carried. On the plus side, the combat is more fluid and movement across the city is easier. Graphics are somewhat improved (but still felt dated) despite a limited draw distance. The downsides however, are still pretty numerous. The story is woefully underdeveloped, like in thePrototype 2 is essentially a marginally improved version of Prototype, with much of the baggage the original carried. On the plus side, the combat is more fluid and movement across the city is easier. Graphics are somewhat improved (but still felt dated) despite a limited draw distance. The downsides however, are still pretty numerous. The story is woefully underdeveloped, like in the first game. I get it, Blackwatch are bad guys, you don't need to constantly remind me they brutally experiment on civilians. Heller, the protagonist, is unlikable and unnecessary. The world is bland and static, and the NPCs are generally oblivious to your actions - you can drop 500 feet and land amidst a group of soldiers in an explosion of shattered concrete and your alert level barely increases. Missions are repetitive and the camera is awkward. I would probably rate Prototype 2 higher if it were the first game in the series, but I definitely expect more out of a sequel. Expand

1. Hyper Magazine
    Jul 8, 2012
    It stubbornly refuses to capitalise on its full potential, but Prototype 2 is still a whole lot of fun. [July 2012, p.64]
  2. X-ONE Magazine UK
    Jun 5, 2012
    The repetition begins to grow old a few hours before the game reaches its conclusion. [Issue#85, p.84]
  3. May 29, 2012
    An intriguing plot tries to turn an action-oriented (and bloody) game on its ear, but the gameplay is too repetitive at its core to make you feel like you've really experienced something unique in the ever-growing world of sandbox games.