7.8

1. Oct 20, 2010
    Im always very wary about giving a game 10 out of 10 because sometimes it can seem like a knee jerk reaction,something new and exciting comes along and blows you away and for that brief moment its the best thing since the last best thing which blew you away and has now become a 7 out of 10 and ready for trade in.I bought prototype on its initial release and i loved it,the freedom,theIm always very wary about giving a game 10 out of 10 because sometimes it can seem like a knee jerk reaction,something new and exciting comes along and blows you away and for that brief moment its the best thing since the last best thing which blew you away and has now become a 7 out of 10 and ready for trade in.I bought prototype on its initial release and i loved it,the freedom,the violence,the graphics,sound and story all came together beautifully and crafted an amazing game with so many new features and extras it was sometimes hard to keep up.After finishing the game i did the inevitable and traded it in,i always had good memorys about prototype and that feeling i got when falling from buildings(you know the one).Having seen the game for a good price i re-bought it and i am loving it. Its suprising how the way you approach and play games changes over a couple of years, and i can now say i am enjoying this game more then the first time i had it-the graphics may have aged slightly but the gameplay remains as sharp as anything on the market.Its definatley a game that rewards exploration and doing that little bit extra ends up giving so much more.This gets the heart pumping and still has that wow factor.A definate classic and maybe a genre defining one....until prototype 2. Expand
  2. May 9, 2012
    Getting enjoyment from Prototype really depends how you're wired, and the more wired you are for destruction and all out OTT chaos the more you'll enjoy it. The game itself is fairly simple - typical sandbox stuff but with the added bonus of super powers thrown in to give you real freedom of movement around the city - nice. Combat is nothing particularly revolutionary either, but it isGetting enjoyment from Prototype really depends how you're wired, and the more wired you are for destruction and all out OTT chaos the more you'll enjoy it. The game itself is fairly simple - typical sandbox stuff but with the added bonus of super powers thrown in to give you real freedom of movement around the city - nice. Combat is nothing particularly revolutionary either, but it is good, very violent + OTT, and when you get into the swing of flying around the city and smashing the absolute frickin **** out of everything it's really hard to put down. That's what Prototype nails more than almost every other game I've played - it absolutely excels in making you feel as if you are one badass muther-chuffer. The stealth element is handled quite well too, something which fits surprisingly nicely into such a chaotic game. Slightly pap graphics aren't good on the eyes, and it can get a bit repetitive at times, but my advice would be for any fan of mass annihilation to give it a whirl. Expand
  3. Jul 16, 2011
    Prototype tells the story of Mercer, a normal guy that was infected with some kind of strain that allows him to shift his body in many different forms, one can't help but wonder how you could take such an idea and still manage get a 6/10 from me. Well, let me explain:

Mercer is a pretty interesting guy and I simply love to make him run on walls and jumps down sky-scrapers, the way you move in this game is just so fast and amazing that it looks like a Triple A movie from Hollywood. I also don't have any problems with the story that is told completely through eating people (thus also consuming their memories), it's a very clever way to tell a story that is so complex and full of conspiracy in a way that makes it easier for the audience to follow.

What does annoy me is the complete lack of variation in pretty much everything else, especially the combat is just the same mindless button-mashing over and over again. You got a huge arsenal of weapons, but there is no point in being creative and switching between powers was just an ass to do, so I ended up relying on a weapon that was both efficient against infantry as well as vehicles and never had to switch again. Every once in a while the game tries to be interesting by introducing a new mechanic such as controlling helicopters or tanks, but you never really need those outside of **** missions because Mercer can take multiples torpedoes to the face without showing any signs of pain and running is always faster than vehicles.

Other sandbox that take place in big cities like Grand Theft Auto and Saint's Row know that if you want to have a bit city you should have locations that the players will remember, these serve as way-points and give the town a little identity (for example the big mansion in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City). Everything in Prototype is just a load of generic skyscrapers and smaller buildings with nothing really interesting, it's even less interesting since you're always above the buildings instead of looking up to them.

This leaves us with the question: "Did I have fun?" and yes I did, I had fun for a few hours before the game got boring and repetitive, it's the same "fun" I have when I play games on the Atari 2600, you do the same thing again until you are bored after which you just shut it down. You could rent this game for a while, but buying it and going for a full play through is not recommended.
  4. Sep 21, 2011
    Prototype was such a promising looking game, but in the end turned out sour. The idea of this game was a good one but the way it was delivered... not so much. I found that the gameplay got insanely boring and the bosses proved to be ridiculously hard. About the only thing good about this game was the story. (Which yes is highly unoriginal, but had a good twist of it's own.) Total waist ofPrototype was such a promising looking game, but in the end turned out sour. The idea of this game was a good one but the way it was delivered... not so much. I found that the gameplay got insanely boring and the bosses proved to be ridiculously hard. About the only thing good about this game was the story. (Which yes is highly unoriginal, but had a good twist of it's own.) Total waist of time and money. Expand
  5. Mar 2, 2011
    it had SUCH an incredible amount of potential!! but all we got was a sloppy,repetitive,bland game... btw! its just another variant of another game called 'The Incredible hulk'... I mean other than the lead character & zombies, everything is ditto to the other game! thus... a lot of expectation,but minimum delivery...
  6. Dec 14, 2010
    If given an option I would have given this game an 8.6/10 but I can't, so it's a 9/10 by round up. As for the game itself, I like the way the story is constructed. You actually have to figure stuff out and it's not spoon-fed to you as you proceed. It's also interesting to note the human you is the bad guy behind all this, but now the virus you wants to kill the virus itself. How ironic. AsIf given an option I would have given this game an 8.6/10 but I can't, so it's a 9/10 by round up. As for the game itself, I like the way the story is constructed. You actually have to figure stuff out and it's not spoon-fed to you as you proceed. It's also interesting to note the human you is the bad guy behind all this, but now the virus you wants to kill the virus itself. How ironic. As for the combat...Its WICKED. The vast amount of powers and options you have for taking people is amazing and your meaty powers can take on anyone, whilest keeping in a vehicle and stealth type of gameplay while not making them bad. The only porblem sometime is that the controls can get in the way a little bit, but this barely ever happens. My only other complaints are that there aren't many collectibles to get, and the city can feel samey and bland, but that's okay because the plus points easily make up for this. Great game. Pick it up if you get the chance. Expand
  7. Jan 31, 2011
    This is a funny game, purely because its gripping but lacks the element of endless fun provided by other games like Call of Duty and Battlefield. The game has a weak story in which the player never really gets to grips with Alex Mercer as a character as he leaves a lot blank as a narrator and character. The game feels as if it only has one purpose, and that's to go out and kill and thatThis is a funny game, purely because its gripping but lacks the element of endless fun provided by other games like Call of Duty and Battlefield. The game has a weak story in which the player never really gets to grips with Alex Mercer as a character as he leaves a lot blank as a narrator and character. The game feels as if it only has one purpose, and that's to go out and kill and that everything else is more of an add on, rather than part of the game itself. My verdict then is its fun when your killing, but can soon become tiresome, repetitive and loose in its characters and story. Expand
  8. Aug 14, 2011
    I can only lend my support to TomB's review. I have no wish to waste more of my life on such a disappointing game, beyond meeting the 150 character minimum for this review.

The developer simply lifted the gameplay, attacks and animations from their previous and vastly superior game Hulk: Ultimate Destruction, then constructed this mess with a minimum of effort, assets or testing. Destroy exactly the same base 20 times over, try to understand the incoherent yet bland plot. The challenge lies in finding a way to enjoy this.
  9. May 2, 2011
    I'm gonna try to keep this short as possible. The story is pretty good but hard to understand sometimes. The gameplay is good you can create combos, use guns, turn into a human war machine and everythin with upgrades and new things to unlock. I had fun with prototype but it isnt gonna be on my shelf for long.
  10. Apr 27, 2012
    This game is just amazing and very addictive I just love this game so much and enjoy playing it every single time. The entire game is fantastic I strugle to find any fault in this game maybe as keep playing I might find a fault in the game but at this stage this game is just perfect and so very addictive
  11. Apr 28, 2012
    This game is fun, but it gets extremely repetitive after a while. After you meet the basic forces of both the military and the Hive all the new enemies are just variations of those, most of the combat tends to get dull and repetitive as it seems all you need to do half the time is equip the whipfist, jump into the air constantly and keep mashing Y. If you're facing a horde it's just easy,This game is fun, but it gets extremely repetitive after a while. After you meet the basic forces of both the military and the Hive all the new enemies are just variations of those, most of the combat tends to get dull and repetitive as it seems all you need to do half the time is equip the whipfist, jump into the air constantly and keep mashing Y. If you're facing a horde it's just easy, everything can be killed within seconds but if they're too many with guns you can easily just get a helicopter or tank and whip them out. That's fun for a while but to a point you're just going through the motions, but I can't say I wasn't entertained for a game that is 20$ Expand
  12. Oct 7, 2011
    Prototype has a lot going for it, Interesting character, cool powers, open world gameplay and the simple fun of creating chaos. However the game can get very repetitive unless you spend time unlocking upgrades which also gets pretty stale after a while. And even though it's fun creating chaos in the city, the game just throws soo many enemies at you in each fight which can be prettyPrototype has a lot going for it, Interesting character, cool powers, open world gameplay and the simple fun of creating chaos. However the game can get very repetitive unless you spend time unlocking upgrades which also gets pretty stale after a while. And even though it's fun creating chaos in the city, the game just throws soo many enemies at you in each fight which can be pretty frustrating. But overall it's a good game that's entertaining enough for at least one playthrough and the city is fun to explore. I give it an 8 out of 10. Expand
  13. Jul 11, 2011
    I highly recommend this game. I am a big fan of the open world games and I was not let down by this one at all. It only got an 8 out of ten because it can get boring after you beat the game.
  14. Dec 23, 2011
    If you want to feel like you truly have superpowers, buy this game, it blew me away, I've never gone into a game and come out so impressed. Story is great, controls are well thought out and although simple, they allow for user skill as opposed to button mashing.
  15. Oct 4, 2011
    Re-Playability Value: 8
    Fun Factor: 10

Score: 7.2/10 = B-
  16. Nov 18, 2011
    Prototype is a good game although it does have it's flaw that don't really necessaritly make it a must-play. The game has a few good thing such as navigation through the map but there are bad things about it. The plot is not very great as protagonist Alex Mercer merely stalls on the topic, he just does other things so the plot I disliked. The gameplay can be frustrating sometimes and makesPrototype is a good game although it does have it's flaw that don't really necessaritly make it a must-play. The game has a few good thing such as navigation through the map but there are bad things about it. The plot is not very great as protagonist Alex Mercer merely stalls on the topic, he just does other things so the plot I disliked. The gameplay can be frustrating sometimes and makes combat difficult. Most of the enviromnment is the same and you don't feel like you get any stronger throughout the game. The good thing isthatthere are many challenges but again they are boring and repetitive. Overall Prototype is worth playing if you are bored or anything but just rent it, don't buy it for it won't entertain you for long. Breakdown for "Prototype": Presentation: 7, Graphics: 6, Sound: 6, Gameplay: 6.5, Lasting Appeal: 5. Verdict: 7.3 out of 10 "Good" Expand
  17. Apr 16, 2012
    Uff, difficult review for me, because I wait much Prototype, and the game have some mistakes, for example is very short, the graphics ugly, the trama is amazing, but the development is poor, in some moments the game is really funny, for example kill all the people, is like a GTA, but this is funny.
  18. May 13, 2012
    This game is amazing. The game-play is super fun. and running around as Alex Mercer is amazing. However the story was very boring and didn't envelop me at all. But i'm a sucker for a good anti hero.
  19. May 24, 2013
    Way worse than people write about. This is an open world game with some good ideas, but flawed execution.

4 years after its release, this game looks ugly, handles pretty bad and has a totally uninteresting storytelling (though the script isn'a all that bad). Everything in this game is just stuffed in there without much explanation. It has a lot of different things that all add up to being uninteresting because of the way you earn your new abilities or the way the game pushes you to use them. Some great ideas (consume) executed poorly because of some other gameplay ideas that would have been nice if they weren't put together. It' like the appearance of the monsters in this game. All mashed up together just to be ugly in the end.

All of its missions have to do with tanks and helicopters and it gets quite annoying. The boss fights could have been epic if they hadn't been so frustrating and the pacing of the updates you earn is the worst.

Some fun can be had by not taking tha game seriously and experiencing the few routines it does offer, like infiltrating a base or consuming people for a purpose or fighting by the side of the army to take out the monsters. It does look like it could be fixed (haven't played Prototype 2 yet), but with so much going on around and inability (because of the controls and the lock-on system) to focus onto one thing, it's like you're always in the center of a sh*tstorm.

Consuming is satisfactory. The music and the voice overs are also ok. That said, it doesn't have the production values of its competitors (e.g. inFamous) or the stability it needs to form a good game.
  20. May 30, 2013
    This is a very fun sandbox that gives InFamous a run for its money. This is an awesome game and has a lot of content and different powers you can use to wreck havoc among the living. A lot of side missions and stuff to do. Story is a bit disappointing, but it's not bad. Mercer is an interesting character and it's fun to play as him. Overall, I'd check this game out.
  21. Aug 22, 2013
    The controls in this game are horrendous. Which irritates me a great deal because I like the concept and style of this game. I also think the storyline is very cool. However I find Prototype almost impossible to play with the control system it has: it is blocky and inconsistent. You also need to manage a dozen or so button combinations, which becomes a nightmare when the controls are asThe controls in this game are horrendous. Which irritates me a great deal because I like the concept and style of this game. I also think the storyline is very cool. However I find Prototype almost impossible to play with the control system it has: it is blocky and inconsistent. You also need to manage a dozen or so button combinations, which becomes a nightmare when the controls are as slow and inconsistent as they are. The game tells you to use the right weapon for the right enemy, yet it keeps sending you every type of enemy all at once. The enemy targeting function doesn't work most of the time. So controlling your character during combat becomes a bad joke as you resort to panicky button mashing. Only between combat do you have an acceptable level of control over your character. Great idea for a game, bad execution. Expand
  22. May 2, 2014
    the protagonist has awesome powers and you feel like a badass. but that's pretty much it. the story is pretty flat, the world is big but lifeless, and the gameplay will get old over time. its creative, but not in all its elements
  23. Nov 27, 2014
    This is a very cool game, and i love it, but if you dedicate yourself to walk around the city, it can be a bit boring
    But anyway it is a very interesting and recommended game

I can't wait to go play some more. I suspect that some people will find their enthusiasm drained more than mine by the shallow enemy gene pool, but even they're bound to get swept away by the myriad pleasures of tearing up town as a ghoulish and preternaturally fleet-footed shape-shifter.
  2. One of the best games to release this generation and is definitely the best game to drop in 2009 (so far). Outside of the lackluster stealth and disguising mechanic, the brutal combat, huge open-world, varied challenges, and utterly satisfying gameplay makes this a must-have title for any serious gamer's collection. Get ready to put your life on hold!
  3. The insane amount of strength, skills and powers you get in the game is amazing and the game does a great job of making you feel like you’re really in control of a truly powerful being.