6.6

1. Oct 4, 2011
    I honestly don't understand the negative reviews that this game is getting. I've been playing it a great deal since getting my hands on it and for the first time since I can remember that I've invested in a new IP and ended up with exactly what I was expecting. Rage delivers on almost every level.

I don't need to get into Rage's graphics or presentation; one look at the game speaks for itself in case you haven't heard id's ongoing rambling about it being one of the best looking games available. id Tech 5 shows off enough power here to impress any reasonable person. That being said, I'm playing Rage on the PS3 (that installation time was a **** and the only graphical flaws are minor but similar to those I've seen in Killzone 3 and Crysis 2. I considered getting this game for the 360 but I was turned off by the need for having to install three discs. I have the 250-GB slim model, but as someone who once had the old (and very limited) 20-GB 360, I feel the pain of those who won't have the hard drive space to install all three at once.

Audio design is just as well done in every aspect one would expect, but I'll leave it up to you to discover how great it is rather than going into detail here.

My only legitimate complaint thus far is that the checkpoint system in Rage is basically non-existent. You'll receive auto-saves at the beginning of and just after missions, but that's it. Traveling through one of the game's lengthy city stages and being sent back to outside the city walls upon death was frustrating enough for me to put the game down for a while. I've experienced this type of setback a few times already. This is solved simply enough by saving the game whenever it comes to mind, but I'm generally more focused on trying to immerse myself in the world and the action around me to worry about a feature that's standard in most games nowadays.

Also, it's worthy of a small note that this is not Shakespeare. Rage has a plot, and as some of it's elements aren't exactly new and exciting, (we've all walked out of a vault, scrounged to stay alive, and spent many hours in futuristic wastelands), the player shouldn't expect a groundbreaking narrative from id Software. I was let down by this, as I hoped Rage would be a rift in the trend of shooters with poor stories. It's not a bad plot, it's just kind of there to get you from A to B.

Other than my minor gripes, Rage is everything I wanted.

Enemies are just as brutal and resourceful as we've heard, as Rage features some of the best enemy AI I've ever seen. Mutant thugs dodge your reticule when you go ADS, downed foes crawl to cover as they bleed out, etc. I've already been forced to do some encounters twice (see ****y paragraph above) and can confidently say that other than perhaps boss battles, no two encounters in Rage will ever be the same.

The arsenal available to the player is also impressive, if not comprised of elements that have been done before. Four weapons can be hot-mapped to the right trigger/R2 menu, with additional weapons available in the game's in-depth and useful Inventory system. Two assault rifles, two shotguns, a pistol, a sniper rifle, a rocket launcher, and yes, a crossbow, are among the main tools that deal out very convincing damage to opponents. Each weapon has various firing modes and ammunition types. Coupled with Rage's stellar opponents, mixing weapons, ammo types, and equipment is what makes the combat fun. It's very much the player's game, and it generally rewards creativity with success in combat.

Driving across the wasteland has been surprisingly fun and deep to this point. It easily outdoes the fragile and clunky controls of the go-karts in Borderlands. Vehicles are waiting to be unlocked, their weapons upgraded, their bodies painted, and bonus powers are available to turn the odds on the bandits who always outnumber the player.
    id obviously has a lot of faith in their vision for Rage's vehicular combat. Races and unlocking new vehicles are key components of progressing in the campaign. Also, traditional FPS multiplayer components have been scrapped and replaced by Twisted Metal-like car combat. It's not a venue of endless entertainment, but it is a fun break from traditional shooters and is much deeper than most will be expecting.

I firmly believe that reviews have been unfair to Rage. This is, in my opinion, a perfect example of a game that is fun despite some abstract number some critic picked out. The presentation is gorgeous, the gameplay is tight but expansive fun, and this game does just enough right to warrant a return to the all-too-familiar apocalypse setting.

Rage isn't a masterpiece; it's a vision.
  2. Oct 4, 2011
    Beautiful graphics.. Sharp Sounds. States of Art.
    RAGE is great mixture of Quake II and Bioshock. first 30 min, maybe boring. but when you reach some 'So Many thing to kill zone'... you'll never gonna miss the truth. you're playing idsoftware's game. Full of blood on screen, Shotguns running out of ammo, Explosion... and the new head popper. wingstick
    Maybe some COD kids will HATE this
    Beautiful graphics.. Sharp Sounds. States of Art.
    Maybe some COD kids will HATE this game(lack of cutscene and too much blood and gore) but i believe many of people will like this and love it. Oh you think Storyline is bad ? you should go play some torment over and over again. this is a shooter game. everyone knows.
  3. Oct 5, 2011
    I wasn't going to get this game, but after some careful thought and watching many trailers and game play videos, I decided to go out and give it a shot. I do not regret it one bit. This game is amazing. The graphics, sound, setting, ai, animations, mechanics, everything looks, and feels so good. Any fan of post-apocalyptic games needs to give this game a try. Any fan of shooters will notI wasn't going to get this game, but after some careful thought and watching many trailers and game play videos, I decided to go out and give it a shot. I do not regret it one bit. This game is amazing. The graphics, sound, setting, ai, animations, mechanics, everything looks, and feels so good. Any fan of post-apocalyptic games needs to give this game a try. Any fan of shooters will not be disappointed, the enemies are always behaving in different ways, allowing you to utilise your entire arsenal in many different ways. The driving is a welcome addition and I found it a very enjoyable way to get to your quests. I've heard a lot of bad things (from critics and gamers alike), mainly in regards to story, but with a solid set of mechanics and awesome location and graphics, a less than awesome story is fine with me (I've only played 3 hours, so I am unable to give my own comments on the story). This game is definitely worth the money and you will not regret your purchase! Expand
  4. Oct 4, 2011
    Rage is a spectacle and it's everything I hoped it would be. Rage combines shooting and rpg elements to truly create an amazing experience. Rage is definitely the best looking title on consoles to date and if you have a pc that can run it your in for a treat. Rage isn't all about graphics though, ID has taken care to create an immersive story. The characters in rage are animatedRage is a spectacle and it's everything I hoped it would be. Rage combines shooting and rpg elements to truly create an amazing experience. Rage is definitely the best looking title on consoles to date and if you have a pc that can run it your in for a treat. Rage isn't all about graphics though, ID has taken care to create an immersive story. The characters in rage are animated perfectly and there are lots of characters that will stand out in your mind long after you finish the game. The atmosphere is simply stunning in rage, from the wastelands to the ruined cities. At it's heart rage is a shooter but, it also does a lot more than most recent first person shooters have done. Anyone who enjoys exploring, shooters, rpg games, and story driven games should really give rage a go. Expand
  5. Oct 4, 2011
    This is a really fun shooter. It's not anything ground breaking but it does deliver in a solid shooter with interesting mechanics that add up to a great playing experience. The game is easily one of the best looking and running games on the xbox 360 with nearly running around 60 frames per second the whole experience. Controls are the same as COD and feels a lot like COD while playing inThis is a really fun shooter. It's not anything ground breaking but it does deliver in a solid shooter with interesting mechanics that add up to a great playing experience. The game is easily one of the best looking and running games on the xbox 360 with nearly running around 60 frames per second the whole experience. Controls are the same as COD and feels a lot like COD while playing in an open world. The story is lacking and you could care less about most of the characters in the game but it's a very fun game. While this game isnt perfect the game play is a solid fun experience thats sure to be entertaining and stands above the average shooter. Expand
  6. Oct 4, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Not played yet, but put 10 /10. An absolutely stunning looking game. But more than that, Rage is an excellently crafted and well-polished FPS / RPG. And to be honest, I could try and tell you how certain aspects are similar to other games, but that just wouldn't give Rage its proper respect. Rage is its own beast, and it is a beauty. Expand
  7. Oct 4, 2011
    Started playing today using my almost 2 year old Alienware M15x laptop and the game dynamically adjusted to my hardware level and still looked fantastic delivering a solid 59 fps. So far so good, didn't get to share the hardware problems that the AMD crowd had at launch but I hear thats all been taken care of. Kudos to ID for getting on the ball.
  8. Oct 5, 2011
    One of the best games this year.High quality fallout-like gameplay.Graphics are beautiful,gameplay is addicting.There are many things to do.Shooting mechanics are awesome.
  9. Oct 4, 2011
    This game is amazing! I didn't want to like it. All I heard from the directors were, " It isn't an RPG, It isn't an RPG." And the only thing not RPG about it is you don't level up your character directly. You accept quests, level up your armor, level up your guns, level up your equipment ( which may be the best and funnest equipment of any game yet) You usually decide what you do andThis game is amazing! I didn't want to like it. All I heard from the directors were, " It isn't an RPG, It isn't an RPG." And the only thing not RPG about it is you don't level up your character directly. You accept quests, level up your armor, level up your guns, level up your equipment ( which may be the best and funnest equipment of any game yet) You usually decide what you do and don't want to quest, and it also has an amazing racing game built into the "not RPG" shooter. If this had the role playing label on the box, I wouldn't disagree. The graphics are over saturated, but still impossible not to marvel over. Like the Red Real movies over Blue Ray, this game is insanely beautiful. The gunplay is tight and responsive, and the wingstick may be the best thing to happen to an FPS since iron sights. Every button is where it should be on the default setting. The AI is unique, smart, and responsive, especially on the higher difficulties. The enemy actually frightened me by sneaking up on me a couple times in the opening "tutorial" levels. As much as I didn't want to like this game, it is a gem. If you like awesome graphics, compelling sound, tight gameplay, shooters, RPGs, Racers, than this game is for you. If you like Mario Cart or Madden, look elsewhere. Thank you Id, for being badass again. I can only hope more devs use Id Tech for their games before we have to buy a new system. The current gen is finally coming into its own, and Rage is that definitive proof. Expand
  10. Oct 5, 2011
    I've really been blindsided by all these low reviews for this game, it's pretty fantastic and I honestly can't understand how anyone could connotate it as bad. Great FPS mechanics mixed with a strong RPG base, makes for a fantastic game. Trolls will troll I guess.
  11. Oct 6, 2011
    Rage is one of the BEST FPS in 2011 definitely, although it has some texture in PC, but now it has some workaround that solve over 90% problem. the texture is low resolution when look closely, but during normal gaming time, the visual is really AWESOME, every place is unique, not other games have many repeat environment.
    Rage wasteland is one of the best art in all FPS till now. the mixed
    Rage wasteland is one of the best art in all FPS till now. the mixed setting between hardcore FPS and RPG is very good. Play feel like hardcore FPS, but has some RPG element, the RPG elements don't infuluence the shooting feeling, this game is still a fast moving & shooting FPS, I think Rage is a awesome for hardcore & old-school FPS gamer. The fallen of Duke Nukem Forever make me feel maybe this type FPS could be vanished, but the coming of Rage make me feel so happy, I bought rage during steam QuakeCon sale with DOOM & Quake pack, I feel this is a very worthy deal.
    If you like some different and innovative FPS game, I think Rage is a good choice for you:)
  12. Oct 5, 2011
    I can't believe some people giving this game a zero.Take it from a hardcore gamer this game is the real deadly the gunplay is tight the shiniest move so realistically the graphics are unbelievable at 60fps.the only thing its lacking is a story such doesn't matter cuz you'll just want to shoot stuff.It wont make goty with all the great games coming out but this game should not be missed.forI can't believe some people giving this game a zero.Take it from a hardcore gamer this game is the real deadly the gunplay is tight the shiniest move so realistically the graphics are unbelievable at 60fps.the only thing its lacking is a story such doesn't matter cuz you'll just want to shoot stuff.It wont make goty with all the great games coming out but this game should not be missed.for the record im playing on the 360. Expand
  13. Oct 6, 2011
    Awesome game! Good graphics, good sound, good racing, good AI, impressive arsenal, amazing shooting! Thanks id. Go Doom 4 and Rage 2 :) Haters gonna hate.
  14. Oct 6, 2011
    Make no mistake, this is not an RPG, it's a shooter, plain and simple. It offers some fun game play with some RPG-like elements (quest-like missions, crafting, minor bits of exploration). The driving is reasonably fun and well handled considering the digital controls when using keyboard/mouse. As a shooter it's not bad in the least. It has tight controls, the guns all have a reasonableMake no mistake, this is not an RPG, it's a shooter, plain and simple. It offers some fun game play with some RPG-like elements (quest-like missions, crafting, minor bits of exploration). The driving is reasonably fun and well handled considering the digital controls when using keyboard/mouse. As a shooter it's not bad in the least. It has tight controls, the guns all have a reasonable "weight" to them, and the enemy AI is pretty good at dodging and moving in a manner that offers a reasonable challenge to shooting them. All topped with a good (though perhaps at times a bit cliche) story.

The negatives I've seen tend to be one of two issues: No control over much in the way of graphical options, screen tearing, and texture pop-in. Or people who simply don't enjoy the game play mechanics. These are reasonable issues though the first couple issues come with some caveats. Id Tech 5 engine was designed to be auto-tuning to performance. If you're pulling maximum frame rate it'll load larger textures, use better shaders, etc. But I can totally see where people might want to keep control over these things and sometimes sacrifice a bit of performance for better visuals, or vice-versa. Screen tearing is pretty easily resolved by forcing triple buffering and v-synch in the drivers. Despite the lack of video options and control, the game looks terrific on a GeForce 570 and runs smoothly. The shooting is fun, controls work as expected, and the story is engaging. The downside to the graphics is that most of the objects in the environment are static, no bumping into chairs and knocking them over for example. Even small things that you could easily kick are immovable. That aside, the game's great, well worth the purchase for any shooter fan.
  15. Oct 7, 2011
    Rage is a wonderful game, provided the experience is different from most FPS's you see out there. The races are an incredible part of the game that makes the experience in playing it is even more incredible. The setting is one thing that deserves congratulations, because although the story does not ponro be the stronger of the game, not even wanting, soaking in the world of Rage is wonderful.
  16. Oct 7, 2011
    I think this game is really good and don't see where all the negative comments are coming from. Its like a mix between fallout and borderlands. The campaign is not too quick at all especially if you take into account all the side missions and races etc... and those complaining about it not being an rpg well that's what fallout and skyrim is for, we don't want everything to be an rpg.I think this game is really good and don't see where all the negative comments are coming from. Its like a mix between fallout and borderlands. The campaign is not too quick at all especially if you take into account all the side missions and races etc... and those complaining about it not being an rpg well that's what fallout and skyrim is for, we don't want everything to be an rpg. Although that being said there are actually rpg elements to it, such as upgrading vehicles, armour and weapons. My only negativity is the graphics just don't seem to load quick enough which is unnoticeable once you just get on with the game (might even be just my console, which is a slim btw). I for one love the game and am glad I bought it. especially considering I got the anarchy edition! Expand
  17. Oct 11, 2011
    Awesome. Don't pay any attention to the 12 year old reviewers. Before playing the game you need to re-adjust your expectations. This is not Fallout 3. The closest game I've played to this is Bioshock, but bigger!. There, expectations reconfigured, we can now enjoy what is an excellently polished, gorgeous example of what a modern shooter can be. The mechanics are quick and easy to useAwesome. Don't pay any attention to the 12 year old reviewers. Before playing the game you need to re-adjust your expectations. This is not Fallout 3. The closest game I've played to this is Bioshock, but bigger!. There, expectations reconfigured, we can now enjoy what is an excellently polished, gorgeous example of what a modern shooter can be. The mechanics are quick and easy to use putting you in control of fire-fights and rewarding you for finding new tactics and ways of killing. My only negative is a slightly confused pace. The missions can sometimes feel a bit sparse, with enemy's coming slow and unsteady; making me wish it was a bit more full on a frantic at times. The vehicular parts are fantastic, if a little basic, people expecting anything other than an arcade shooter will be disappointed. It's meant to be a speed freak, sight seeing jolly. There are lots of little nods to previous Id games that won't make sense if your 12 cos they happened before you were born! To be honest, although it has many hours of gameplay, I can't see much replay value... but I like it, it's the best game this year. Buy it. Expand
  18. Oct 6, 2011
    Honestly the most fun and impressive shooter I have played in a long time. That Id game feeling shines through brilliantly and the new tech is magnificent. No other game can capture the feeling of a shotgun blast like an Id Game. This is obviously an xbox 360 review area but as you can see there are numerous pissed of pc gamers doing their best to spoil the fun for everyone. I alsoHonestly the most fun and impressive shooter I have played in a long time. That Id game feeling shines through brilliantly and the new tech is magnificent. No other game can capture the feeling of a shotgun blast like an Id Game. This is obviously an xbox 360 review area but as you can see there are numerous pissed of pc gamers doing their best to spoil the fun for everyone. I also game on pc and plan to get this on pc and hopefully by then any problems will have been resolved. Don't listen to them, this game is awesome. On the xbox it is fantastic. I'm sure once the technical problems are resolved mostly with drivers the pc version will shine just a brightly for them. And it is working for most. I feel the need to talk about the posting by those pc gamers who are just immature. Expand
  19. Oct 8, 2011
    the sisko is a dicck, tryin to be controvesial doesnt make you clever. also probably a pc player that hates consoles and this game has been in the works for years so chasing the buck is hardly a relative comment.
  20. Oct 8, 2011
    Rage breaks no new real ground as its just another FPS. It has very little rpg elements. the story is meh...actually its go here do this come back when your done. which seems like it would get monotonous over time but the blend of driving and gun battles makes the game a joy to play. story isn't everything. as long as what your doing is fun and ID software was able to pull the fun factorRage breaks no new real ground as its just another FPS. It has very little rpg elements. the story is meh...actually its go here do this come back when your done. which seems like it would get monotonous over time but the blend of driving and gun battles makes the game a joy to play. story isn't everything. as long as what your doing is fun and ID software was able to pull the fun factor off and do it, with gorgeous graphics and awesome sound. this is hands down one of the best looking games on the 360 Expand
  21. Oct 7, 2011
    Technical difficulties aside (these are quite easily fixed after all), this is a pretty great game. Looks fantastic as long as you don't go too close to anything, then it's a blurry mess. Play the game without scrutinising every texture and it looks great. One of the best environments I've ever experienced in a game and despite the post apocalyptic thing, not a hint of brown! In fact, theTechnical difficulties aside (these are quite easily fixed after all), this is a pretty great game. Looks fantastic as long as you don't go too close to anything, then it's a blurry mess. Play the game without scrutinising every texture and it looks great. One of the best environments I've ever experienced in a game and despite the post apocalyptic thing, not a hint of brown! In fact, the colour palette is quite varied. The characters and enemies look excellent and some of the animation is breathtaking. The sound is of a decent quality; some very good voice acting, meaty weapon sounds and some good incidental music...but overall nothing to get that excited about. Gameplay wise, I feel like the game could've been slightly more open than it is, but there's still a lot to explore. The car handling during the driving sections can take a bit to get used to but the game really excels as a FPS. Weapons are well balanced and the extra ammo types give the action another dimension. Taking out enemies is extremely satisfying with heads and limbs exploding in showers of gore you'd expect from id software. Unfortunately the game engine doesn't appear to allow the player much interaction with the world. While most games will let the player destroy unimportant objects in the world or climb allover the scenery, Rage wont let you. This leads the player to feel a bit disconnected from the world. Overall, the only issues I have with the game are plot (ie. it's not very good), technical problems (most problems are sorted thanks to the fantastic PC gaming community) and the lack of really feeling part of the world. The pros far outweigh the cons though so I'd highly recommend this. Expand
  22. Oct 9, 2011
    Yes, Rage does feel a lot like the love child of Borderlands and Bioshock but is that really such a bad thing? Rage combines these two great games and takes them to the next level with some great AI and extremely satisfying gunfights.

As for the texture loading, it's no way near as bad as that of GTA IV, a game where nobody whined about texture loading, and really isn't that noticable (I'm playing this from the DVD's and not a HD install).
  23. Oct 10, 2011
    Simply awesome. Cant believe some of the bad reviews. ID have returned on top form. Finally a video game world that you can believe - no repeat assets etc. Sure it struggles a bit in places on the 360 but graphics tech has moved on a fair bit. We need the new 360 asap
  24. Oct 7, 2011
    Endlessly fierce, RAGE sticks to its motherly roots of id Soft, with classic, yet next gen innovative gunplay that makes your apocalyptic journey a gunsblazing adventure. id really took AI development to the next level where you actually feel and fear AI as a threat and not just a target to shot and walk past, the variety of items you can utilize to your survival or death can be criticalEndlessly fierce, RAGE sticks to its motherly roots of id Soft, with classic, yet next gen innovative gunplay that makes your apocalyptic journey a gunsblazing adventure. id really took AI development to the next level where you actually feel and fear AI as a threat and not just a target to shot and walk past, the variety of items you can utilize to your survival or death can be critical and miscalculation of consumption can lead to certain mini-game encounter which in a way, tense and not so "this is annoying". Yet, id's master piece isn't something for all gamers, like the DOOM and QUAKE eras, there were those games and there were Mario and Zelda. it is in a away, for those who understand what bad ass id classic is all about. Expand
  25. Oct 6, 2011
    I can't understand why this game would get any negative feedback. The gunplay is tight, the vehicular portions of the game are a blast. And the graphics are unbelievable. Sure this game is not reinventing the wheel, but what it does is take the best of so many worlds and adds a brilliant polish to it. Do not listen to the haters.
  26. Oct 8, 2011
    Best graphics ever! I don't know who is giving this game 80s but I don't think they are playing the same game I am. Of course it's going to be blurry if you zoom on an object. All games do that.
  27. Oct 9, 2011
    Played this game for 8 hours and I'm really enjoying. Don't listen to screen tears as that is only on PC, on Xbox 360 this game plays amazingly, uninspired Multiplayer could do with some TDM or CTF but overall a very good game
  28. Oct 9, 2011
    Posiblemente será el mejor shooter del año en modo campaña, por novedoso y creativo, con esto lo digo todo. Me aburren ya todos aquellos juegos que triunfan en el mercado simplemente por el mutijugador.
  29. Oct 10, 2011
    This game is so much fun to play. It has driving in it, rpg elments, and it's a fps. It combines all of these things perfectly and gives everyones a great experience. The only bad part about this game is that it's only 8 hours long(main missions only). And the story isn't that good.
  30. Oct 7, 2011
    Do not listen to any of the bad reviews, they have clearly not put any effort into making the game run on their system.
    Be it your hardware is outdated or you haven't installed the new drivers, made a config etc
    So far i have played RAGE for 5 hours and i have to say its just amazing, the graphics are neat, combat is action-pumped and the driving is just pure cool. The whole design for

The whole design for the game reminds me of Borderlands which for me is just a big plus, having main missions and side missions to complete for extra rewards and while you're at it scavenge for money and items so you can craft your own ammo or even sentry bot/turret.

Combat makes it so much better, you really feel like playing an ID game, the guns are amazing and the different types of ammo are fun to use though you really want them to survive certain enemies.

Traversing the wasteland in a vehicle of your choice, one that you have pimped out with weapons and more boost from winning races is just a great feeling, killing off any bandits you meet to gain some extra cash.

What impresses me most is the graphics, more specifically the characters, they have so much detail and the animations are just amazing.
    The voice acting is spot on and it just makes you feel like the world is really alive and some characters you can't wait to go back and talk to.
  31. Oct 6, 2011
    Whoa.. I am not going to sit here & type a book on how awesome this is! but dang i love this game & can not put it down!! Excellent Graphics! Fun Characters & lots of content to keep you excited & Busy. HAIL TO THE SENTRY BOT :P
  32. Oct 10, 2011
    A great game that is worth your time. I am genuinely surprised by all the bad user reviews (PC issues aside). First, the graphics and the art style are amazing -- it's like playing in a comic book. The environments are gorgeous and detailed, and there are lots of nooks and crannies to explore. There's a huge variety of activities to undertake -- gambling, racing, exploring, fighting (ofA great game that is worth your time. I am genuinely surprised by all the bad user reviews (PC issues aside). First, the graphics and the art style are amazing -- it's like playing in a comic book. The environments are gorgeous and detailed, and there are lots of nooks and crannies to explore. There's a huge variety of activities to undertake -- gambling, racing, exploring, fighting (of course). I'm particularly addicted to finding cards for the Magic-esquse collectible card game. The story is interesting and filled with memorable characters. The animations are a joy to watch. From the mutants that leap from walls and hang from door frames to the friendly NPCs you'll meet along the way. Enemy AI is good and provides a challenge. Melee enemies will dodge in unpredictable ways while ranged enemies will often fall back to regroup. The Open world provides enough freedom to give you a choice of things to do, while not being pointlessly large and empty just for the sake of being expansive (if you notice, in most "open world" games, you never even bother with 50% of the terrain except for traveling through it to your next 2 minute long "mission".

Personally, as a long-time gamer whose first shooter was Doom, I loved some of the subtle conventions in this game. Your character doesn't talk, you can carry as many weapons and other junk as you want without annoying inventory management, and enemies take more than a few hits to bring down. Your mileage may vary. of course.

And I didn't even touch on the multiplayer, yet. The racing is a fun diversion and the co-op shooting levels are challenging and fun. There seems to be so much content in the main game that it's an unnecessary addition, but it provides added value.

Rage is essentially an old-school shooter with some roleplaying elements (no pointless leveling, etc., though) and an open world hub area containing lots of different diversions. Think Bioshock + Borderlands + Fallout 3. If that appeals to you, pick it up!
  33. Oct 8, 2011
    Rage was not on my list of games for 2011 until a friend suggested I watch the trailer. The movie intrigued me and I bought the game. NO REGRETS!!!! The open world can only be described as gorgeous. AI is pretty good, FPS is spot on and the environment is immersing, believable, and grips you from the start. I would have given this game a perfect score except for a couple subtleRage was not on my list of games for 2011 until a friend suggested I watch the trailer. The movie intrigued me and I bought the game. NO REGRETS!!!! The open world can only be described as gorgeous. AI is pretty good, FPS is spot on and the environment is immersing, believable, and grips you from the start. I would have given this game a perfect score except for a couple subtle issues. #1 the guns sound tinny or a bit off pitch and #2 the game does not have a cover system. I hope that Elder Scrolls and some of the other games coming out this winter can compete with the gameplay, AI, story and environment provided by Rage. Kudos to ID for a great game!! Expand
  34. Aug 29, 2012
    The graphical experience and sound experience (with headphones) is well worth a rental if not purchase. Runs at a constant 60 FPS never once slowing down or stuttering. Managed to skim through the "Nightmare" difficulty setting without much problems. Starts out a bit slow but once you start battling the mutants you see where the game shines. The physics and enemy interaction are smoothThe graphical experience and sound experience (with headphones) is well worth a rental if not purchase. Runs at a constant 60 FPS never once slowing down or stuttering. Managed to skim through the "Nightmare" difficulty setting without much problems. Starts out a bit slow but once you start battling the mutants you see where the game shines. The physics and enemy interaction are smooth and fluid. Every death is a sight to behold. Once you play the levels "The Well" and "Blue Line Station" you'll want to play them over and over again (at least I did) Just a good experience. Good to take slow and absorb the atomospheres as it seems every inch of the environments is meticulously detailed and never repeats itself. Expand
  35. Sep 2, 2012
    this game is so good!!! most people cant see past the low played, rated or bought game but if you can then 1) you have a brain 2)you will have hours of fun on it the separate coop campaign is always fun to do aswell the multiplayer is great aswell
  36. Oct 3, 2012
    For me, was a very decent rental. Almost one year later bought it a second hand copy and I'm really enjoying this game right now (in part time with Gears 3) ... :-)
  37. Feb 1, 2013
    Maybe it's because I knew exactly what to expect when going into this game, but Rage stands as one of the best FPS games that I've had the pleasure to play. Id proved that they weren't just messing around with the new IdTech 5 while making this game. The game is pretty. Which is kind of an odd thing to say about a game set in a post-apocalyptic wasteland. It is highly advised to installMaybe it's because I knew exactly what to expect when going into this game, but Rage stands as one of the best FPS games that I've had the pleasure to play. Id proved that they weren't just messing around with the new IdTech 5 while making this game. The game is pretty. Which is kind of an odd thing to say about a game set in a post-apocalyptic wasteland. It is highly advised to install this game onto your hard drive before playing. Be warned, installing this game takes up about 22 Gigs worth of space, so you may need to make some room. At first glance, many would immediately compare this game to that of Fallout or Borderlands, which is just foolish. Unlike the aforementioned games, Rage has virtually no RPG elements and instead opts for pure action. As a shooter, this game handles nicely. The controls are smooth, the gunplay feels great, and enemies even react properly to being shot at. You shoot at a charging bandit, he'll reel back from the impact of the bullet and may even stumble and fall face first into the ground, depending on where you hit him. The enemy AI is also notable in that the enemies are actually pretty intelligent (save for the appropriately mindless mutants) and can use some rather clever tactics on occasion. Authority soldiers would stack up behind the guy with the energy shield, bandits are smart enough to kick over your turrets whenever they get the chance, and they all know how to take cover effectively. Being an Id game, you get to carry a large arsenal with you at all times. Some of these guns can become rather useless, depending on your playstyle, but each one feels and sounds like it has some weight to it when fired, which is nice. To add some variety, the game features a variety of ammo types ranging from miniature rockets fired out of shotguns to crossbow bolts that can allow you to control an enemy until he inevitably explodes. The enemies are also quite varied, the mutants are animalistic and would forgo any strategy and simply bumrush you, Authority soldiers use military tactics and higher-end weaponry, and each bandit clan has a certain specialty in combat, such as agility, tech, explosives, or just being hard to kill. A rather new gameplay mechanic for an Id game is the driving portions of the game. The driving is done very similarly in a combat racing style. In fact, there are even combat racing side-missions to upgrade your cars. Since you will be driving around the wasteland a lot, it's a good thing that the controls work rather well and that the vehicle combat can be both fast paced and fun. The story itself is rather forgettable. Nothing surprising to Id veterans, but others may want more. However, the single player campaign itself can be rather long if the player decides to go out and do every sidequest and race available to them. My only real complaint about this game is the ending, which isn't bad so much as non-existent. Uncharacteristically for an Id game, there's no final boss fight and the game practically ends with you pushing a button after you finish mowing down enemies with the game's designated BFG, which is given to you at the beginning of the mission. Depending on the difficulty and how much you set out to do, you could probably finish the game in about 15-30 hours. That said, there's even a multiplayer disc that comes with a set of co-op missions and competitive combat racing. So, even after finishing the main game, there's still plenty to do. For the current price, this game is at VERY good value, and could be found at prices ranging from $10-$20. If you like FPS games, I'd highly recommend for you to go out and buy this game. Expand
  38. Jun 18, 2013
    Éste es un juego que debes obtener si eres un jugador con gusto por los FPS; además, los creadores de este juego son aquellos que te trajeron Doom y Quake: dos grandes joyas en la industria de los videojuegos! Aunque al principio estaba un poco escéptico hacia el juego mismo (en especial por la calificación general que representan los usuarios) me animé a conseguirlo porque ya había vistoÉste es un juego que debes obtener si eres un jugador con gusto por los FPS; además, los creadores de este juego son aquellos que te trajeron Doom y Quake: dos grandes joyas en la industria de los videojuegos! Aunque al principio estaba un poco escéptico hacia el juego mismo (en especial por la calificación general que representan los usuarios) me animé a conseguirlo porque ya había visto que tiene unos gráficos excelentes y varias armas con distintos tipos de munición -la mayoría de ellas. No sé ni como empezar a describir lo genial que el juego lució cuando lo vi en mi TV por primera vez: simplemente asombroso, ya sea porque tiene 60 cuadros por segundo y se ve muy fluido o porque todo en el juego luce de maravilla, ya sabes, con un fuerte toque post-apocalíptico. Y bueno, desafortunadamente concuerdo en el punto negativo que varios usuarios tienen hacia Rage: las texturas son de muy baja resolución. De lejos todo luce detallado pero si te acercas a aquello que luce de maravilla, ves las texturas tan borrosas que no te explicas como es posible que eso sea la base de tu admiración!
    También existe bastante "pop-in" con una frecuencia tal que casi cada vez que volteas en el juego las texturas se reconstruyen. se retexturizan... pero habiendo instalado con anterioridad el juego al disco duro me alegro que este problema ha desaparecido en gran parte. Aún con esos detalles, este juego no deja de ser una obra digna de admiración, con un tipo de juego al estilo Borderlands -donde progresas en el juego obteniendo y completando misiones de los NPCs y tienes, además, un tipo de carro a tu disposición para viajar de lado a lado.
    Una de las características que mas me ha gustado de este juego es la sección que el personaje principal tiene en su menú llamada "ingeniería": aquí es dónde puedes hacer una buena cantidad de diferentes objetos (si tienes los ingredientes necesarios) que te serán de gran ayuda en tu travesía por este mundo devastado -desde medi-kits, pasado por granadas, coches bomba y distintos tipos de munición. Otro punto a favor ha sido el arsenal con el que cuentas progresivamente. Yo simplemente grababa el juego cada vez que sabía iba a obtener una nueva arma (para ver como la obtenía de nueva cuenta); y esto porque cada vez que obtienes una arma, el personaje principal hace como que la revisa y te una vista con detalle de cómo luce tu arma. Todas ellas me han gustado mucho, en especial la escopeta, pues hace un sonido muy fuerte en cada disparo normal.
    Yo simplemente te digo que si te consideras un jugador con ya bastante experiencia en este tipo de juegos de disparos de primera persona, consigas ya este juego. Ya por estas fechas no está caro y te ofrece un reto con gráficas fluidas que no creo te lleguen a decepcionar y enemigos con una inteligencia de alta calidad: de hecho aquí reside casi todo el reto, el saber apuntar bien tus armas contra enemigos escurridizos y muchas veces letales. Consíguelo, y recuerda a ID desarrollador de este juego- y sus juegos insignia: verás a RAGE como un verdadero tributo a la pasión por el género FPS que ellos inventaron.
  39. Oct 13, 2011
    LOOK, plain & simple, its a great game , The Graphics ARE GREAT, The Weapons are nice ,The animation is very refined(its clear , a lot of work had been put into the characters, The Races are a LOTTA fun! , The Enemy AI IS JUST FANTASTIC. The Story, while its not great... its nowhere near as bad as what these trolls make it sound like... The Only reason im giving it a 9 & not a 10 isLOOK, plain & simple, its a great game , The Graphics ARE GREAT, The Weapons are nice ,The animation is very refined(its clear , a lot of work had been put into the characters, The Races are a LOTTA fun! , The Enemy AI IS JUST FANTASTIC. The Story, while its not great... its nowhere near as bad as what these trolls make it sound like... The Only reason im giving it a 9 & not a 10 is because the textures load in front of your eyes throughout all large areas of the game...(very minor ofcourse but still...)
    Good game id software! Now dont give us a RAGE sequel, instead give us a brand new game! (there is nothing left to milk from rage) :)
  40. Feb 8, 2012
    This game is freaking brilliant in every way a video game can be brilliant.Look,we expect Skyrim because we had Oblivion and Morrowind.Gears of war 3 cause of part 1 and 2.I can keep on,these companies make grade A quality games and it either gets better or stays familiar within what they first made.COD MW1 was so good that the next two installments had a lot to live up to.What I'm sayingThis game is freaking brilliant in every way a video game can be brilliant.Look,we expect Skyrim because we had Oblivion and Morrowind.Gears of war 3 cause of part 1 and 2.I can keep on,these companies make grade A quality games and it either gets better or stays familiar within what they first made.COD MW1 was so good that the next two installments had a lot to live up to.What I'm saying is that ID software goes and flips the script and not only gives us an awesome first person shooter but blends RPG elements with an amazing driving game element and gives us a one of a kind gaming experience and people just aren't getting it?!There is only a handful of reviewers that get it,but in the years to come they will say,,OH,,I get it.This isn't even my favorite game of 2011 but what Rage is trying to accomplish is stunning and a game I will appreciate for years to come and one of the boldest entries into the video game world I have seen since the Dreamcast was released and wowed us all.People say some games are like getting two games for the price of one,well this is 3 games wrapped into 1 to create a masterpiece an epic dream come true for gamer's.Bioshock's masterpiece in 2007 was 20 hours long,well triple that and give yourself a huge piece of cake for the multi- player and you got Rage.Pure brilliance! Expand
  41. Nov 21, 2011
    One of the best looking console games ever. Decent dialog and great facial animations.
    The combat is nothing new if you have played an FPS which is what you might expect from id.
    Really feels alot like Borderlands in some ways , which is not a bad thing Borderlands is a freakin' amazing game. There is little that can be said about this game that is negative other than it is not the huge groundbreaking shift forward they were promising it is alot of the same stuff we have seen just done very well. If you are straight action FPS player you may not completely fall in love with the game, but it has some great moments and some low points, a great technical acheivement and a solid game for FPS fans looking for a little RPG in their frag fest.
  42. Nov 21, 2011
    Rage is developed by Id Software, who is literally the father of the FPS genre starting with Wolfenstein 3D and Doom. Before Rage hit store shelves many people were afraid that it would be a copy of Borderlands, but luckily it is not. When I first sat down with Rage I noticed that it felt more like Doom 3 then Borderlands. Rage is about in the future an asteroid collides with killing mostRage is developed by Id Software, who is literally the father of the FPS genre starting with Wolfenstein 3D and Doom. Before Rage hit store shelves many people were afraid that it would be a copy of Borderlands, but luckily it is not. When I first sat down with Rage I noticed that it felt more like Doom 3 then Borderlands. Rage is about in the future an asteroid collides with killing most people. You where one of the few that was kept safe in an "Ark". When you finally get out the first thing you see is an amazing world that has so much detail from the rocks to the clouds. Many of the people who were not in the Arks have either became mutants or managed to stay alive in a Mad Max style setting. The game run smoothly and does not have any issue with frame rate. The games does have some glitches in it though like getting stuck or just other weird issues. Most of these glitches are not big issues. The weapons on Rage feel powerful and have a good weight to them. The AI is also some to complement. The enemies will not run around obsticals in the environment they will actually climb or jump over them. Even if you are shooting at an enemy, this especially pertains to mutants they could actually dodge your shots and end up getting close to you. Rage is a game made for gamers who want the taste for the old-school. Expand
  43. Mar 27, 2012
    WHAT A **** GAME. Racing / FPS / RPG sewn together in the post-apocalyptic wastelands. Wicked **** bra.
  44. Oct 13, 2011
    game is phenomenal... defientely oozes with content, gameplay, modes, graphics. Do everything the game has to offer and it will last you 20+ hours easily. Some of the best vehicles, enemies, AI, and weapons/invetory system i've ever seen.

MP vehicle challenges are a blast, and coop is very challenging.

10/10. Great job id & bethesda!
  45. Nov 27, 2011
    DooM. Quake. Wolfenstien. Rage. These are the 4 most bada*s games ever. And all of them are from id Software. I love this game. Especially, the Fallout, DooM, and Quake references such as the Vault Boy Bobble-head and the DooM and Quake rooms. Great job id!
  46. Oct 18, 2011
    Nearly finished on the 360 and greatly enjoyed it. Classic explore and shoot gameplay with minimal upgrading/RPG elements that works for me in the setting it was employed in. Subject to my negative points (see below) the graphics are pleasant and the level settings beautiful and stylish.

The graphics "popping" when you enter an area is a little odd but something that normal gamers will ignore after the second time. Of greater annoyance is the texture popping where you closely crouch behind a fairly detailed surface and then quickly pop up, or turn, to see the textures on mid-distance surfaces popping into place. That is a little distracting.

The challenges posed by the game on Normal through to Nightmare make it fun and challenging for the average gamers but the self-styled elite gamers may complain that it is still too easy which is a valid opinion.

Overall, a well designed and well executed game that would be well worth a look, especially if more DLC is added.
  47. Oct 21, 2011
    This is a beautiful game. It looks great and it plays really well. The only thing that I dont like about it is that you have to physically have to save the game, no auto save
  48. Oct 25, 2011
    This is a great game and is one of the most fun FPS I have played. The story is not so good and the ending is where this game hit its low but the rest of the game is a blast from plowing through the wasteland in you buggy to decapitating bandits with the wingstick this game like an FPS should. The shotgun id's trademark weapon is as good as ever blowing mutants back to hell will always putThis is a great game and is one of the most fun FPS I have played. The story is not so good and the ending is where this game hit its low but the rest of the game is a blast from plowing through the wasteland in you buggy to decapitating bandits with the wingstick this game like an FPS should. The shotgun id's trademark weapon is as good as ever blowing mutants back to hell will always put a smile on your face. The main problem with this game is replay value, I truly had no reason to play again after completion but while it lasted, it sure was fun. Expand
  49. Dec 8, 2011
    Loved it is pretty much all I can think to describe it. Love the variety from first person shooting to the roaming around in the vehicle blowing the hell out of anything that moved. Graphics were unreal I have played this both on PS3 and Xbox 360 and am currently playing it again for about the sixth time! There is so much to do, from looking around for anything that you can pick up andLoved it is pretty much all I can think to describe it. Love the variety from first person shooting to the roaming around in the vehicle blowing the hell out of anything that moved. Graphics were unreal I have played this both on PS3 and Xbox 360 and am currently playing it again for about the sixth time! There is so much to do, from looking around for anything that you can pick up and use or sell to a vendor to talking to everyone that you bump into and helping them out with little side missions. This game is seriously underrated. My only gripe is that it left me hanging for more. Think it was a little too short but other than that I cannot even find another game that has come out recently that could compare to this game. Rage is a game of its own and definitely stands out to me as original. This game is worth buying and giving a go you won't be disappointed. I don't understand how you can give a game like this a bad review. Reading the bad reviews makes you wonder with this game and makes me wonder what sort of games you really must enjoy if you bagged this one. I found it very addictive and well as I mentioned I'm playing it for like the sixth time so well that says a lot in itself. I hope you do go out and get this game as it is so worth it, you won't be disappointed. Expand
  50. Nov 8, 2011
    An amazing and well detailed shooter, definitely worth the $60 price tag. Has plenty of replay value for your dollar. Campaign is filled with variety and well thought out level designs. They went full throttle into this generation with this beautiful game.
  51. Nov 10, 2011
  52. Nov 12, 2011
    It`s a very nice looking game. You play a plain FPP mixed up with some RPG and road racing :) The story is Fallout2 like except the nuclear holocaust you get havoc caused by a meteor. I loved it. The only thing that irritates me to hell is the end of the game. What were the programmers thinking ending the game when it started to be interesting I don`t know. It leaves a feeling ofIt`s a very nice looking game. You play a plain FPP mixed up with some RPG and road racing :) The story is Fallout2 like except the nuclear holocaust you get havoc caused by a meteor. I loved it. The only thing that irritates me to hell is the end of the game. What were the programmers thinking ending the game when it started to be interesting I don`t know. It leaves a feeling of incompletenes. As it would end to soon. Something like Homefront. So if you like wasteland racing, good, old fashioned fpp with lots of weapons (not the **** like 2 weapon at a time based solving of duke nukem, crysis2, etc) you can use anytime, and rpg- it`s a game for you. I can`t wait for the sequel. But if they make another 6h game I won`t buy the third. Expand
  53. Jun 16, 2013
    Simply put, this is a great game. Of course there are parts that might be done differently but overall the game is brilliantly constructed. If you don't mind being startled, or finding yourself in the middle of frantic fire fights or exploring a huge world, you will have a great time. If you are looking for Call of Duty, go play Call of Duty, this isn't it.
  54. Nov 14, 2011
    This is, hands down, the most beautiful game I've ever played. The storyline is fine, nothing special. It feels like a cross between Fallout 3 and something along the lines of Borderlands (though not funny) or maybe Doom 3. The driving is fun, the shooting is pretty intense, and overall, I really love this game. I wish it offered more in the way of multiplayer, but these days, you takeThis is, hands down, the most beautiful game I've ever played. The storyline is fine, nothing special. It feels like a cross between Fallout 3 and something along the lines of Borderlands (though not funny) or maybe Doom 3. The driving is fun, the shooting is pretty intense, and overall, I really love this game. I wish it offered more in the way of multiplayer, but these days, you take what you can get. Honestly, I can't recommend this game enough. If nothing else, give it a rent--you'll be glad you didn't miss out on it. Expand
  55. Nov 22, 2011
    From the start to the finish i found this game to be jaw dropping.. in all my 22+ years of gaming this was a very special game for me.. Gameplay was excellent.. guns never got boring, each felt ultra realistic and exciting.. story was sketchy but i didnt mind one bit cos the rest was awesome.. it seems this isnt everyones cup of tea but some of you will love it! I installed the disc to hdFrom the start to the finish i found this game to be jaw dropping.. in all my 22+ years of gaming this was a very special game for me.. Gameplay was excellent.. guns never got boring, each felt ultra realistic and exciting.. story was sketchy but i didnt mind one bit cos the rest was awesome.. it seems this isnt everyones cup of tea but some of you will love it! I installed the disc to hd drive as instructed and the graphics were the best i have EVER seen.. =O ENJOY Expand
  56. Jan 2, 2012
    Rage is a near perfect shooter straight from ID software maybe not story wise but who cares i mean did DOOM have a great story no it was all about killing the crap out of demon's in hell ad we all loved it well Rage brings all that with a few RPG elements and very beautiful graphics minus the demons instead you get bandits and outlaws who are very life like during combat instead of runningRage is a near perfect shooter straight from ID software maybe not story wise but who cares i mean did DOOM have a great story no it was all about killing the crap out of demon's in hell ad we all loved it well Rage brings all that with a few RPG elements and very beautiful graphics minus the demons instead you get bandits and outlaws who are very life like during combat instead of running at you like a moron so every battle is different in some way. Multiplayer is also fun with races or combat races with co-op missions but im pretty sure everyone is confused about there being no death matches or team death matches etc in multiplayer but maybe they wil fix this in the future by DLC or a sequel but with its minor flaws Rage is still a must have game and I think over 202 fellow metacritic users would agree with me Expand
  57. Apr 10, 2012
    This game has SANDBOX and FALLOUT elements. The result is a pretty funny FPS game that you could love if you like this kind of games. Wonderful graphics (you need to install the game), good music, correct story and good facial animation. Despite enjoying this game, I should say that it's quite short and the story has more potential than the one which was used in the game.
  58. Oct 11, 2012
    I really went into this game expecting it to be good and then just be completely wiped of its goodness by the ending. I'm not entirely sure why people have been suggesting this and unless something happens after the credits (which I'll see here momentarily), it was really a great game. I was immediately impressed by the visuals and the story is extremely captivating from the beginning. II really went into this game expecting it to be good and then just be completely wiped of its goodness by the ending. I'm not entirely sure why people have been suggesting this and unless something happens after the credits (which I'll see here momentarily), it was really a great game. I was immediately impressed by the visuals and the story is extremely captivating from the beginning. I wasn't expecting the visuals to be all that great either and I thought they were fantastic. It felt like the art direction from Borderlands met that of Fallout and it turned out great. The dynamic of having a buggy and moving in between the wasteland to different locales was very enjoyable. The guns were fun but not terribly amazing (that being said I just realized I never downloaded my double barrel shotgun with the Anarchy Edition). All the "extras" in the game seemed to tie into the main storyline decently so that if you wanted to indulge yourself in them you could do so without going out of your way but at the same time you didn't have to mess with them at all and the impact on your game was negligible. All in all, high replay value, a lot of fun to play, story was good although the ending could have been more conclusive (RAGE 2?). I would absolutely recommend this to anyone who has even considered picking it up. I still am amazed that for $5 I got this much satisfaction out of it. Expand
  59. Dec 3, 2013
    Defiantly fun and defiantly an id game. It's better than most games this genre out there but it takes a lot of system power to run it. I suggest having a good amount of space left when you download
  60. Dec 29, 2013
    Its not often enough we get a game by id Software, but when we do it leaves gamers wanting more! Basically a asteroid hits earth and "special" people are picked by the government to go into underground volts. Hint hint fallout. Your nameless character is thrown into the wastes land and must survive against bandits, mutants and the authority. Rage has a compelling story and intriguingIts not often enough we get a game by id Software, but when we do it leaves gamers wanting more! Basically a asteroid hits earth and "special" people are picked by the government to go into underground volts. Hint hint fallout. Your nameless character is thrown into the wastes land and must survive against bandits, mutants and the authority. Rage has a compelling story and intriguing characters and places to discover. The combat in rage is what makes this game stand out front the back as every shot as a relation and the enemy AI is some of the best to date. In the end your leave this game wanting more after the cliff hanging somewhat disappointing ending that will leaving the audiences wondering what's next. Expand
  61. Jun 10, 2013
    Great game period. Granted not perfect but obviously its combo of incredible graphics, textures, gorgeously fitting color pallet, and stunning frame rate (60fps) make it a visual masterpiece with best in class aesthetics dominating its commonly compared borderlands and fallout 3 bretheren in this department. Guns feel heavy, gunshots sound aggressive and badass, and enemies react to everyGreat game period. Granted not perfect but obviously its combo of incredible graphics, textures, gorgeously fitting color pallet, and stunning frame rate (60fps) make it a visual masterpiece with best in class aesthetics dominating its commonly compared borderlands and fallout 3 bretheren in this department. Guns feel heavy, gunshots sound aggressive and badass, and enemies react to every shot they are hit with in a realistic way with impressively animated deaths. The animators at id software knocked it out the park with the games many fluid and jaw dropping animations, from crazed mutants ravenously coming after you, to salty bandits flailing back from gunfire ultimately spinning and falling face first to their death these animations are handled with a smoothness and degree of movement not often(if ever) seen in the video game industry. The sound shines with the vaunted John Goodman lending his voice acting talents. The game isn't short with all the side quests and loot hunting offered as well as a very arcade like but enjoyable racing and vehicle combat section (though a bit easy). The weapons are varied enough with all guns and crossbow having several different ammo types, but the clear cut star of your arsenal is the innovative and devilishly fun wing stick. The wing stick is a type of three bladed boomerang that you throw at your enemies for frequent decapitations and severed limbs, it also can be upgraded to target enemies,do more damage, and return to your hand like a boomerang (did i mention it can slice the head off of multiple enemies in a row).You also find or buy blueprints in the wasteland which build new weapons/guns, upgradable turrets and robots, and even a mini remote controlled truck with bombs attached to it which you can remote detonate (also useful for scouting out enemy camps). You do however rehash the same levels at times with minor differences but with having to make such detailed landscapes it's understandable. The game includes many enjoyable mini games such as five finger fillet, a guitar hero like game called strum, and a very fun card game similar to magic the gathering with picture cards of different in game characters and factions that you find throughout the wasteland to strengthen your deck(trust me i am not a card or magic t.g. fan but this is fun). The world isn't as big as fallout but it is as big as it needs to be.It has a fun but not as varied separate coop campaign and online multiplayer in the form of exciting vehicle combat races. I know it isn't the 4 player coop of borderlands but unless you are the type who is compulsive about having 50,000 guns and cell shaded graphics it might be a better all around game than the first borderlands(i do love borderlands by the way). People say Rage doesn't have a story and it has an "okay" if not fleshed out enough story but borderlands though it is entertaining has basically no story at all(you are on pandora- now find this vault).Some found Rage to have a weak ending? Not half as dissapointing as borderlands ending (can anyone say they were pleased with what they found in the vault?) Overall Rage is a breath of fresh air that beckons back to id's yesteryear of gaming (doom,quake) the combat is in your face and aggressive differing from this generation's Gears of Wear totally cover based pop and shoot style of combat (when i am a badass muscle bound space marine i don't want to spend 75% of the game on my knees, i know a few gals who hangout on the corner they can give marcus pheonix a pair of kneepads they spend alot of time on their knees too).Rage has a ton of nostalgic eastereggs too, if you are a Doom,wolfenstein, Quake or id fan you need to get this game for the eastereggs alone! I won't spoil it but let's just say these eastereggs are very.....interactive. The sad thing is that Rage2 was in the works but seeing how Rage undersold they cancelled production and killed the would be series. This was new IP from the fathers of FPS and after all that time they delivered, and after getting their feet wet in this generation with Rage i can assume building on Rage's engine and the experience with Rage would have prepped them to deliver even bigger on Rage2 (can you imagine what that game would of looked like.) Rage is a very strong game and worth the experience it should have sold 5mil. Rage gets a 9 out of 10. Expand
  62. Jul 11, 2013
    This game isn't revolutionary, so if that's what you're expecting, lower your expections. But it is a solid game nonetheless. The combat is awesome and the driving is very well done. The only real issue is the really weak and boring story.But the combat more than makes up for it
  63. Jul 3, 2013
    The game is VERY good and it deserve all its praise. The world is vast, the car combat is great, the game looks gorgeous and it's 60 FPS (you can't go wrong with 60 FPS). A few flaws that are the game game's checkpoint system is too unforgiving. Make sure you save early and often. The characters aren't interesting either. The final and largest flaw with the game is its first 2 hours. ItThe game is VERY good and it deserve all its praise. The world is vast, the car combat is great, the game looks gorgeous and it's 60 FPS (you can't go wrong with 60 FPS). A few flaws that are the game game's checkpoint system is too unforgiving. Make sure you save early and often. The characters aren't interesting either. The final and largest flaw with the game is its first 2 hours. It just feels like a tutorial that overstays its welcome (which it is). Overall, it's a great game with gorgous visuals and intense firefights. Expand
  64. Oct 22, 2013
    This is one of my favorite games to play when I am playing something alone! Its an amazing FPS survival game with stunning graphics and fun to use weapons ranging from a Revolver to a crossbow or chain gun. I especially love how most guns in the game have up to four different ammo types as well as you can purchase upgrades for some guns to make them better and easier to use.
  65. Mar 24, 2014
    Let me begin by saying RAGE is certainly one of my all-time favourite games. An immersive campaign and the brilliant mechanics one could expect from an id Software game deliver a great experience. I really do not understand the flak this game gets - I find that I disagree with the negative reviews. They call the campaign and characters generic, while I would say the campaign is brilliant,Let me begin by saying RAGE is certainly one of my all-time favourite games. An immersive campaign and the brilliant mechanics one could expect from an id Software game deliver a great experience. I really do not understand the flak this game gets - I find that I disagree with the negative reviews. They call the campaign and characters generic, while I would say the campaign is brilliant, although it drags at times, and I find the characters to be some of the most brilliantly realised characters in video gaming.
    Although the ending, as I'm sure you've heard, is very disappointing, the rest of the game certainly makes up for that, It's graphically stunning, bringing in fans of both shooters and racing games. There's something for many different fans of different genres, including card games, board games, racing, shooting and a satirical comedy show named Mutant Bash TV.
    The accompanying book, although it differs from the game at certain times, is also brilliant, and the ending is certainly better than in the game.
    The driving begins to feel like filler after a few hours of playing, and towards the middle of the game the campaign drags. But if you stay through the rough patches, RAGE is a truly outstanding experience which will not be paralleled.
  66. Oct 6, 2011
    Rage wasteland is one of the best art in all FPS till now. the mixed

1. Nov 16, 2011
    Shooter fans will like RAGE, but it's lack of story or really innovative elements won't attract new players that didn't love other id games. I hoped for more, guys.
  2. Nov 15, 2011
    As a fun and frenetic FPS, Rage delivers in spades. That the same can't be said for the game's story is a real shame. It's especially disappointing as Rage feels like it's building to a strong crescendo, before fizzling out like a damp firework. Rage veers incredibly close to greatness then, but ultimately fails to win itself a cigar.
  3. Nov 13, 2011
    While its other elements hep create atmosphere, they aren't as polished as its peerless gunplay. [Issue#77, p.82]