6.6

1. Oct 5, 2011
    Probably the most disappointing game I've ever played. After months of anticipation, all id can muster is a lame knock-off of Borderlands and Fallout 3. Don't get me wrong, Rage is full of polish and technical merit, but it is so uninspired that you are constantly followed by the feeling that you've been there done that. Disappointingly, with each release id puts under its belt, it seemsProbably the most disappointing game I've ever played. After months of anticipation, all id can muster is a lame knock-off of Borderlands and Fallout 3. Don't get me wrong, Rage is full of polish and technical merit, but it is so uninspired that you are constantly followed by the feeling that you've been there done that. Disappointingly, with each release id puts under its belt, it seems that their focus shifts more to delivering a technical knock-out rather than innovative, original gameplay. Expand
  2. Oct 28, 2011
    An awesome looking game with some solid shooter mechanics that begins to grow tiresome about 3/4 of the way through the game. While Rage isn't a game of the year contender like a lot of people thought it would be, it is still a really fun game that shooter fans should give a try.
  3. Oct 5, 2011
    This game is a prettier Bioshock, without the compelling narrative, and if your only Plasmid were a decapitating boomerang. Add Borderlands to taste. It really is something to marvel at, though, and its connection to Breaking Bad doesn't hurt, either.
  4. Oct 13, 2011
    LOOK, plain & simple, its a great game , The Graphics ARE GREAT, The Weapons are nice ,The animation is very refined(its clear , a lot of work had been put into the characters, The Races are a LOTTA fun! , The Enemy AI IS JUST FANTASTIC. The Story, while its not great... its nowhere near as bad as what these trolls make it sound like... The Only reason im giving it a 9 & not a 10 isLOOK, plain & simple, its a great game , The Graphics ARE GREAT, The Weapons are nice ,The animation is very refined(its clear , a lot of work had been put into the characters, The Races are a LOTTA fun! , The Enemy AI IS JUST FANTASTIC. The Story, while its not great... its nowhere near as bad as what these trolls make it sound like... The Only reason im giving it a 9 & not a 10 is because the textures load in front of your eyes throughout all large areas of the game...(very minor ofcourse but still...)
    Good game id software! Now dont give us a RAGE sequel, instead give us a brand new game! (there is nothing left to milk from rage) :)
  5. Feb 8, 2012
    This game is freaking brilliant in every way a video game can be brilliant.Look,we expect Skyrim because we had Oblivion and Morrowind.Gears of war 3 cause of part 1 and 2.I can keep on,these companies make grade A quality games and it either gets better or stays familiar within what they first made.COD MW1 was so good that the next two installments had a lot to live up to.What I'm sayingThis game is freaking brilliant in every way a video game can be brilliant.Look,we expect Skyrim because we had Oblivion and Morrowind.Gears of war 3 cause of part 1 and 2.I can keep on,these companies make grade A quality games and it either gets better or stays familiar within what they first made.COD MW1 was so good that the next two installments had a lot to live up to.What I'm saying is that ID software goes and flips the script and not only gives us an awesome first person shooter but blends RPG elements with an amazing driving game element and gives us a one of a kind gaming experience and people just aren't getting it?!There is only a handful of reviewers that get it,but in the years to come they will say,,OH,,I get it.This isn't even my favorite game of 2011 but what Rage is trying to accomplish is stunning and a game I will appreciate for years to come and one of the boldest entries into the video game world I have seen since the Dreamcast was released and wowed us all.People say some games are like getting two games for the price of one,well this is 3 games wrapped into 1 to create a masterpiece an epic dream come true for gamer's.Bioshock's masterpiece in 2007 was 20 hours long,well triple that and give yourself a huge piece of cake for the multi- player and you got Rage.Pure brilliance! Expand
  6. Jun 30, 2012
    To be honest, the most that I can award this game is a 7.5. I expected a little more from id, especially for this title, but I cannot say that this game was a failure. Although, to put it bluntly, it does manage to fail in many aspects. My biggest gripe is the storyline. A game that is 90% single player should have a decent storyline, which, Rage does not. The plot is paperthin and weak,To be honest, the most that I can award this game is a 7.5. I expected a little more from id, especially for this title, but I cannot say that this game was a failure. Although, to put it bluntly, it does manage to fail in many aspects. My biggest gripe is the storyline. A game that is 90% single player should have a decent storyline, which, Rage does not. The plot is paperthin and weak, doing nothing more than advancing you to the next shootout or the next linear area to explore. On top of it being uninspired, it eventually comes down to a point where you literally stop caring. At all. Not to spoil anything (like anyone cares enough to be angry), but the ending is so abrupt and horrendous that after it was over, I suddenly felt a strong desire to eject my disc and break it. By the way, there are three game discs. THREE! The first two consist of the single player campaign whilst the third is the Legends of the Waste co-op missions and competitive Road Rage racing. The developers highly recommend installing the discs to your hard drive, so if you lack the necessary memory to store them, I suggest rethinking a purchase or rent, because your Xbox 360 will cough and stutter like I've never seen for a game. Back to ingame faults, enemy AI is unintelligent, predictable and generally easy as cake to conquer. Even Nightmare difficulty is an absolute breeze. In addition to poor AI, the lack of variety of enemies also really hurts the various combat scenarios, forcing you to deal with the same mutants/bandits over and over. Speaking of repetition, the entire game is chock full of it. Every single side mission that you receive throughout the course of the game leads you back to an area that you have already explored once, sometimes twice prior. The area hasn't even changed in the slightest either; instead, it simply restocks its supply of idiotic enemy AI for you to waste all over again. I'm also pretty positive that the game uses a grand total of 3 voice actors, because no matter where you go and speak to people, they almost all sound the exact same. Come on, id, seriously? However, despite these complaints (big as they are), there are definitely some positives. Firstly, the graphics are an astoundingly smooth 60 frames per second. It has been claimed that id will use this engine for Doom 4, and I would not mind one bit. Everything, from the destroyed building structures that make up the vast wasteland to the detailed markings on weapons is gorgeously done. Character animations and movement is incredibly realistic. Shooting a mutant in the leg or arm yields vastly different results, allowing for precision shooting to complement different strategies during battle. The item crafting is linear, but still an absolute blast when you create a walking spider robot that tears through enemy AI with its front minigun. The weapons are all entertaining and well-balanced. Each gun has 4 different ammo types that behave in completely different ways, so using a pistol end game is not obsolete in any way. The sound effects are fantastic, never failing to get the adrenaline pumping, but the score is repetitive and dull. I have played only a few co-op missions since finding other players these days online is difficult for this game, and the missions are so-so. They serve only as another way to extend the lifespan of an already short gaming experience. The racing throughout the game is extremely tedious and tiresome. The developers tried to create an experience where "getting from point A to point B is just as much fun as point B". Too bad they largely failed at this goal, resulting in the driving aspect being one of the worst features of the game. Not to mention the poor online which is basically the same thing but with lag issues. Overall, Rage is still a very good game. The shooting is responsive and a blast to play, which is the core experience of this game anyway. If you can look past the most obvious glaring issues, its still a worthy experience to be purchased from the bargain bin that will net you around 30 hours or so, depending on how many achievements you want. Recommended to absolute shooter fans who need to get their fix of bloody carnage. Expand
  7. Oct 10, 2011
    This game is so much fun to play. It has driving in it, rpg elments, and it's a fps. It combines all of these things perfectly and gives everyones a great experience. The only bad part about this game is that it's only 8 hours long(main missions only). And the story isn't that good.
  8. Oct 4, 2011
    This is a really fun shooter. It's not anything ground breaking but it does deliver in a solid shooter with interesting mechanics that add up to a great playing experience. The game is easily one of the best looking and running games on the xbox 360 with nearly running around 60 frames per second the whole experience. Controls are the same as COD and feels a lot like COD while playing inThis is a really fun shooter. It's not anything ground breaking but it does deliver in a solid shooter with interesting mechanics that add up to a great playing experience. The game is easily one of the best looking and running games on the xbox 360 with nearly running around 60 frames per second the whole experience. Controls are the same as COD and feels a lot like COD while playing in an open world. The story is lacking and you could care less about most of the characters in the game but it's a very fun game. While this game isnt perfect the game play is a solid fun experience thats sure to be entertaining and stands above the average shooter. Expand
  9. Jan 3, 2012
    Its alright, but nothing stand out amazing. Good graphics, nice combination of vehicles, combat and RPG elements. But the game does tend to suffer from the typical Id enemy spawning and attack patterns, just like Doom 3 making combat not that fun when enemies tend to spawn all around you and love nothing better than to get right in your face. Probably less frustrating on PC since you gotIts alright, but nothing stand out amazing. Good graphics, nice combination of vehicles, combat and RPG elements. But the game does tend to suffer from the typical Id enemy spawning and attack patterns, just like Doom 3 making combat not that fun when enemies tend to spawn all around you and love nothing better than to get right in your face. Probably less frustrating on PC since you got quicker twitch skills with M/K, but really in this day and age, twitch shooters are feeling dated. The other thing I didn't like was the lack of true exploration. In many games, if you can see it, you can go to it. But not in Rage. Its faked openness, just like Gear of War. Its like walking through a museum and seeing all the pretty pictures and sculptures but not actually being able to get close to them or touch them. Essentially there is a distinct lack of interactivity, you are constantly stopped by invisible barriers that prevent you getting off the rail of the games levels. A shame, because some of the exterior vehicle sections can be fun. Anyway its a decent game, but there are better games in the shooter / RPG / post apocalypse genre, if your tight on money and looking for more freedom, like Borderlands or Fallout 3 / New Vegas. Expand
  10. Nov 15, 2011
    High quality but too short to merit purchase. Don't expect much in the way of multiplayer or story either. If you want a weekend's worth of good quality single player, rent it, but buyers will be disappointed.
  11. Oct 11, 2011
    It's a good game with some interesting new weapon combinations and an interesting art style. Most of it takes the form of find a person, get a job, perform the job, and return to collect reward. There are some nifty specializations and vehicles to drive, but nothing quite groundbreaking. It is a fulfilling game to play while BF3 beta is over and the week before Arkham City comes out.
  12. Oct 10, 2011
    This is pretty and that is the one thing it gets right. It was meant to be a console or pc barain. You can't change the key layout. The game was released knowingly with PC flaws.
    Wait until it goes on sale.
  13. Oct 26, 2011
    RAGE is a pretty good showcase for what the id5 engine can pull off but the gameplay isn't all that special. I love the atmosphere and the towns have some well animated and voiced characters. Looking forward to see what this engine can do in the hands of a developer who can flesh out a story and gameplay more.
  14. Oct 10, 2011
    Wolfenstein, Doom, Quake... Rage. The gap between id's latest game and the classics which came before is more than just temporal. There's a noticeable difference in quality. A beautiful engine is marred by ridiculous texture pop-in. Fun gunplay is dampened by repetitive fetch quests. A refreshing (for id) new world is tainted by the fact we've played similar games like Fallout andWolfenstein, Doom, Quake... Rage. The gap between id's latest game and the classics which came before is more than just temporal. There's a noticeable difference in quality. A beautiful engine is marred by ridiculous texture pop-in. Fun gunplay is dampened by repetitive fetch quests. A refreshing (for id) new world is tainted by the fact we've played similar games like Fallout and Borderlands. For every positive, there's a negative and this is what makes Rage a letdown. It could have been great, but it'll have to settle for good. Expand
  15. Oct 7, 2011
    An incredibly beautiful game. While the desert wasteland apocalypse open world theme seems to be commonplace in games these past few years, Rage stands above the rest. The attention to detail in the world is astounding. Everywhere you turn the environment looks like a painting. I did not know it was possible to take the standard "brown and bloom" FPS template and make something soAn incredibly beautiful game. While the desert wasteland apocalypse open world theme seems to be commonplace in games these past few years, Rage stands above the rest. The attention to detail in the world is astounding. Everywhere you turn the environment looks like a painting. I did not know it was possible to take the standard "brown and bloom" FPS template and make something so beautiful.

You will spend half the time in Rage shooting from a first person perspective, and the other half driving one of 4 vehicles with a myriad of upgrades. Both of these control styles work extremely well with the Xbox 360 controller. Its id, so I knew the FPS controls would be fine, but I wasn't sure about the vehicle controls. Truth is, the vehicles control better than games that are nothing but driving games. The driving has been compared to the Motorstorm series on Playstation 3, this is not a fair comparison, the driving in Rage is miles ahead of Motorstorm.

The "open world" and "RPG" aspects of Rage are very minor, and hardly exist at all. Exploration and character building were clearly not what the developers spent all of their time on, and I feel the game is much better for it. It's really hard to call it an RPG at all, the only things you can really upgrade are your guns and vehicles.

Rage is an amazing first person shooter that stands out from the crowd.
  16. Oct 6, 2011
    Honestly the most fun and impressive shooter I have played in a long time. That Id game feeling shines through brilliantly and the new tech is magnificent. No other game can capture the feeling of a shotgun blast like an Id Game. This is obviously an xbox 360 review area but as you can see there are numerous pissed of pc gamers doing their best to spoil the fun for everyone. I alsoHonestly the most fun and impressive shooter I have played in a long time. That Id game feeling shines through brilliantly and the new tech is magnificent. No other game can capture the feeling of a shotgun blast like an Id Game. This is obviously an xbox 360 review area but as you can see there are numerous pissed of pc gamers doing their best to spoil the fun for everyone. I also game on pc and plan to get this on pc and hopefully by then any problems will have been resolved. Don't listen to them, this game is awesome. On the xbox it is fantastic. I'm sure once the technical problems are resolved mostly with drivers the pc version will shine just a brightly for them. And it is working for most. I feel the need to talk about the posting by those pc gamers who are just immature. Expand
  17. Oct 8, 2011
    the sisko is a dicck, tryin to be controvesial doesnt make you clever. also probably a pc player that hates consoles and this game has been in the works for years so chasing the buck is hardly a relative comment.
  18. Oct 7, 2011
    I did not know that much about Rage before playing it. I had no real knowledge about the universe it's set in or the tech used to create it. Gameplay is bad, at best. Shooting feels dodgy and it is clear that whoever developed this did not spend enough time playing on a console. The idea of having to hover over items with the crosshair, in a console game, in order to pick them up is justI did not know that much about Rage before playing it. I had no real knowledge about the universe it's set in or the tech used to create it. Gameplay is bad, at best. Shooting feels dodgy and it is clear that whoever developed this did not spend enough time playing on a console. The idea of having to hover over items with the crosshair, in a console game, in order to pick them up is just plain stupid. Save functionality is in a few cases broken. I've had to replay the entire intro sequence (video, tutorial and all) just because the game did not have any proper autosave functions once I set out on my first mission. Audio is far from good or even acceptable. The game features clicking loops, dull ambiences, non-existing reverb and too few variations on repeating sounds. The few sounds they've actually used in the game have a very odd spectral print with lots of irritating and ear fatiguing high frequency noise. Just listen to the "sparks" from broken electricity equipment as you wake up in the ARC. Vehicle sounds are to embarrassing to even go into detail about. I've been riding a buggy that sounded as exciting as normal mosquito while driving.
    All of this was however not what bugged me the most. What annoyed me the most was the fact that whoever did the artstyle for this game couldn't settle on whether or not to make it a serious and scary game or something with a clear comedic ambition to goof around. Music is intense and trying to deliver some tension to a scene but as soon as a bad guy appears he has animations as if he'd been taken from a poor modern comedy cartoon. It just doesn't match. At all.

I would not have been proud to have my name on the credit list of this production.
  19. Jan 21, 2012
    The first thing that should be said about this game is the graphics. It's beautiful. Post-apocalypica never looked so good. Character animations are smooth and the whole place looks nice generally. Gameplay, well this is where I become a little mixed in my humble opinion. I like it, though I feel like once you've played for a little bit, you have kinda seen it all. But, it's a solid FPSThe first thing that should be said about this game is the graphics. It's beautiful. Post-apocalypica never looked so good. Character animations are smooth and the whole place looks nice generally. Gameplay, well this is where I become a little mixed in my humble opinion. I like it, though I feel like once you've played for a little bit, you have kinda seen it all. But, it's a solid FPS regardless. With a lot of driving mini-games in the form of racing available to you as well, as well as three discs of content, you will be getting your money's worth. A solid game! Expand
  20. Feb 16, 2012
    You will enjoy Rage so long as you forget the last ten years of video games. It's all about great fire fights and great graphics. What you will not get is interesting characters, a slither of a story or even a good ending. The racing sections are pretty good considering this is a shooting engine, and the next-gen visuals (albeit with frequent texture pop-ins) make the open world worthYou will enjoy Rage so long as you forget the last ten years of video games. It's all about great fire fights and great graphics. What you will not get is interesting characters, a slither of a story or even a good ending. The racing sections are pretty good considering this is a shooting engine, and the next-gen visuals (albeit with frequent texture pop-ins) make the open world worth exploring. This is a great First Person Shooter spoiled by ten years of much better ones. Expand
  21. Oct 8, 2011
    Rage was not on my list of games for 2011 until a friend suggested I watch the trailer. The movie intrigued me and I bought the game. NO REGRETS!!!! The open world can only be described as gorgeous. AI is pretty good, FPS is spot on and the environment is immersing, believable, and grips you from the start. I would have given this game a perfect score except for a couple subtleRage was not on my list of games for 2011 until a friend suggested I watch the trailer. The movie intrigued me and I bought the game. NO REGRETS!!!! The open world can only be described as gorgeous. AI is pretty good, FPS is spot on and the environment is immersing, believable, and grips you from the start. I would have given this game a perfect score except for a couple subtle issues. #1 the guns sound tinny or a bit off pitch and #2 the game does not have a cover system. I hope that Elder Scrolls and some of the other games coming out this winter can compete with the gameplay, AI, story and environment provided by Rage. Kudos to ID for a great game!! Expand
  22. Oct 4, 2011
    Boring. Banal. ID fails to deliver either coherent story or strong gameplay. Carmack has lost his touch in pursuit of $$$ and no longer cares about making good games. Avoid this turd.
  23. Oct 8, 2011
    Rage breaks no new real ground as its just another FPS. It has very little rpg elements. the story is meh...actually its go here do this come back when your done. which seems like it would get monotonous over time but the blend of driving and gun battles makes the game a joy to play. story isn't everything. as long as what your doing is fun and ID software was able to pull the fun factorRage breaks no new real ground as its just another FPS. It has very little rpg elements. the story is meh...actually its go here do this come back when your done. which seems like it would get monotonous over time but the blend of driving and gun battles makes the game a joy to play. story isn't everything. as long as what your doing is fun and ID software was able to pull the fun factor off and do it, with gorgeous graphics and awesome sound. this is hands down one of the best looking games on the 360 Expand
  24. Nov 10, 2011
    I will say I love the FPS in this game it brings back strafting and close combat and the RPG elements it has is very cool, and the action that is drivin in this game the sounds and how it is slightly scary at times. BUTTT I do no like the whole durby thing and racing and then the muliplayer is drivin just for racing that I think is stupid. one thing that bothers me is the graphics cut inI will say I love the FPS in this game it brings back strafting and close combat and the RPG elements it has is very cool, and the action that is drivin in this game the sounds and how it is slightly scary at times. BUTTT I do no like the whole durby thing and racing and then the muliplayer is drivin just for racing that I think is stupid. one thing that bothers me is the graphics cut in and out like i will come into a area and everything will get blurry then the graphics come in. Expand
  25. Nov 21, 2011
    One of the best looking console games ever. Decent dialog and great facial animations.
    The combat is nothing new if you have played an FPS which is what you might expect from id.
    Really feels alot like Borderlands in some ways , which is not a bad thing Borderlands is a freakin' amazing game. There is little that can be said about this game that is negative other than it is not the huge groundbreaking shift forward they were promising it is alot of the same stuff we have seen just done very well. If you are straight action FPS player you may not completely fall in love with the game, but it has some great moments and some low points, a great technical acheivement and a solid game for FPS fans looking for a little RPG in their frag fest.
  26. Oct 4, 2011
    RAGE is creatively and mechanically bankrupt, and isn't that pretty. Shame coming from ID I expected something decent but they seem to have fallen flat.
  27. Oct 6, 2011
    Meh. That's how I'd sum up Rage. It's got pretty decent graphics, but there's a lot of texture pop-in, which is distracting. The pacing and the controls are both too fast. You walk faster than you run in a lot of games so I'm constantly "walking" past buttons or items to pick up -- this can be really annoying in combat. Same goes with the aiming -- too fast, too touchy. There's noMeh. That's how I'd sum up Rage. It's got pretty decent graphics, but there's a lot of texture pop-in, which is distracting. The pacing and the controls are both too fast. You walk faster than you run in a lot of games so I'm constantly "walking" past buttons or items to pick up -- this can be really annoying in combat. Same goes with the aiming -- too fast, too touchy. There's no weight to the story, you wake up, are rescued and then five minutes later are killing large quantities of bad guys. As far as the setting goes, it's generic wasteland stuff. Everything is made of junk and there are mutants and bandits everywhere No depth or breadth or backstory that a Fallout game gives you. It kind of has a "jokey" feel to it, which I think takes away from the Post-Apocalyptic setting the game is going for. Honestly, it feels like a less fun version of Borderlands. And I didn't really like Borderlands too much. The one thing I will say that is that id sure knows how to model guns - they all have a good feel and weight when fired, so as far as that goes, they've done right. I was expecting more and am somewhat disappointed. I'd say it's a good rental or a good used purchase 6 months from now when the price is halved. Expand
  28. Oct 7, 2011
    Do not listen to any of the bad reviews, they have clearly not put any effort into making the game run on their system.
    Be it your hardware is outdated or you haven't installed the new drivers, made a config etc
    So far i have played RAGE for 5 hours and i have to say its just amazing, the graphics are neat, combat is action-pumped and the driving is just pure cool. The whole design for

The whole design for the game reminds me of Borderlands which for me is just a big plus, having main missions and side missions to complete for extra rewards and while you're at it scavenge for money and items so you can craft your own ammo or even sentry bot/turret.

Combat makes it so much better, you really feel like playing an ID game, the guns are amazing and the different types of ammo are fun to use though you really want them to survive certain enemies.

Traversing the wasteland in a vehicle of your choice, one that you have pimped out with weapons and more boost from winning races is just a great feeling, killing off any bandits you meet to gain some extra cash.

What impresses me most is the graphics, more specifically the characters, they have so much detail and the animations are just amazing.
    The voice acting is spot on and it just makes you feel like the world is really alive and some characters you can't wait to go back and talk to.
  29. Oct 11, 2011
    Rage is a very long awaited project by id software and seems like an attempt to show again their mastery of the booming genre they created. Although the technology and the game is all very impressive, there are some surprising shortcomings for such an experienced developer. Rage is without a doubt a good game, even a great game, but it falls short in some areas. The game starts out highlyRage is a very long awaited project by id software and seems like an attempt to show again their mastery of the booming genre they created. Although the technology and the game is all very impressive, there are some surprising shortcomings for such an experienced developer. Rage is without a doubt a good game, even a great game, but it falls short in some areas. The game starts out highly addictive, continuously feeding you with new gadgets, tricks, ammo types, collector cards, guns, and most importantly; stunning environments. The gunplay is in a linear environment but a wide and deep selection of devilish toys at your disposal against very well designed enemies and AI will distract from the fact that the game is hardly "open world". id Tech 5 is a very interesting engine compared to others. It seems to host unlimited textural and geometric detail and the environments are more detailed on the XBox 360 than any game I've ever played on my high-end PC (I purchased it for XBox because I didn't want to have to wait for the outrageous install and update times the PC version has) and it all runs at 60 fps on console as opposed to the standard 30 fps. Personally, I would have liked to see some more dynamic lighting and other effects at a framerate of 30 because although the detail is unparalleled, the lighting itself is very bland and boring. Rage doesn't use LOD or model swapping, which completely confuses my conventional wisdom of polygon engines. Despite the amazing tech, the actual visuals are hit or miss. With the engine offering so much more detail, it raises the demand for detail that much more on the artists. Some areas, especially Subway Town, are possibly the most graphically impressive scenes in any video game to date. Other areas (mainly indoors) are bland, colorless, and unimaginative. It's easy to tell which zones had more artistic direction/attention given to them. The game itself is distinctly separated into 2 parts. The first part is, as I've already mentioned, highly addictive as the reward for missions comes in the gain of numerous new and addicting toys to play with. The second half introduces absolutely no game elements, completely abandons all RPG elements except for buying and selling (which also takes a hit as you begin to find so much you don't need to buy or sell). No new enemies are introduced, and the story is quickly rushed to a bland and unimaginative ending. The story is very cliche, but I can't deny the level of atmosphere present in certain moments. This game is all about the shooting, and it works very well. Enemies are very well-designed and unique and have impressive AI, and every type of ammo and every gun (except the sniper rifle which is outdone in every way by the pistol of all things) feels totally unique, and crafting is yet another reason to explore the nooks and crannies of the openly linear world. Racing is disappointing and feels bereft of any skill. The actual races are designed to keep the person who starts in first in first until he wins, and the rally mode is a **** of vehicle nonsense. It's a pretty disappointing multiplayer feature and won't keep me coming back, but the rewards for racing in the campaign are very enticing. Ultimately, Rage is a great game and very well-designed. It only falls short on inconsistencies in every major area throughout. The high-points in Rage are memorable and easily earn my recommendation. Expand
  30. Jan 22, 2012
    The game has a good idea, Cool graphics and a nice engine th Id Tech 5. The shooting mechanics are great as you would expect from Id. The driving parts are also very nice and easy to control. But the game is slightly disappointing. The game consists of you running around doing certain quests and objectives that can get repetitive and some can even be relatively boring. But besides all thatThe game has a good idea, Cool graphics and a nice engine th Id Tech 5. The shooting mechanics are great as you would expect from Id. The driving parts are also very nice and easy to control. But the game is slightly disappointing. The game consists of you running around doing certain quests and objectives that can get repetitive and some can even be relatively boring. But besides all that its a pretty solid game. But i wish they tried something a little more original with the environments in the game, something different from the generic wasteland environments. What about that meteor that crashed into the earth had some sort of fungus or infection or something that made the world all distorted with neon colors or something. Im just throwing ideas out there Expand
  31. Nov 10, 2011
    the story is just an excuse to send you from one arena to another, the gameplay is repetitive and boring, there is no shooter competitive multiplayer only coop, and a stupid boring racing game,the story last 6 hours, it doesnt have story, it doesn't have gameplay so why should you buy it???
  32. Oct 6, 2011
    Awesome game! Good graphics, good sound, good racing, good AI, impressive arsenal, amazing shooting! Thanks id. Go Doom 4 and Rage 2 :) Haters gonna hate.
  33. Oct 7, 2011
    Technical difficulties aside (these are quite easily fixed after all), this is a pretty great game. Looks fantastic as long as you don't go too close to anything, then it's a blurry mess. Play the game without scrutinising every texture and it looks great. One of the best environments I've ever experienced in a game and despite the post apocalyptic thing, not a hint of brown! In fact, theTechnical difficulties aside (these are quite easily fixed after all), this is a pretty great game. Looks fantastic as long as you don't go too close to anything, then it's a blurry mess. Play the game without scrutinising every texture and it looks great. One of the best environments I've ever experienced in a game and despite the post apocalyptic thing, not a hint of brown! In fact, the colour palette is quite varied. The characters and enemies look excellent and some of the animation is breathtaking. The sound is of a decent quality; some very good voice acting, meaty weapon sounds and some good incidental music...but overall nothing to get that excited about. Gameplay wise, I feel like the game could've been slightly more open than it is, but there's still a lot to explore. The car handling during the driving sections can take a bit to get used to but the game really excels as a FPS. Weapons are well balanced and the extra ammo types give the action another dimension. Taking out enemies is extremely satisfying with heads and limbs exploding in showers of gore you'd expect from id software. Unfortunately the game engine doesn't appear to allow the player much interaction with the world. While most games will let the player destroy unimportant objects in the world or climb allover the scenery, Rage wont let you. This leads the player to feel a bit disconnected from the world. Overall, the only issues I have with the game are plot (ie. it's not very good), technical problems (most problems are sorted thanks to the fantastic PC gaming community) and the lack of really feeling part of the world. The pros far outweigh the cons though so I'd highly recommend this. Expand
  34. Oct 4, 2011
    Started playing today using my almost 2 year old Alienware M15x laptop and the game dynamically adjusted to my hardware level and still looked fantastic delivering a solid 59 fps. So far so good, didn't get to share the hardware problems that the AMD crowd had at launch but I hear thats all been taken care of. Kudos to ID for getting on the ball.
  35. Jan 21, 2013
    Pros: Fantastic AI that responds cleverly and realistically, as they will run if you are overpowering them and they will flee if a building is coming down around them (instead of standing there still shooting at YOU). The graphics are gorgeous (more on that in CONS section). The racing is fun and the gunplay/gameplay is satisfying and visceral.

Cons: The graphics have minor pop-in

Cons: The graphics have minor pop-in issues, but those are easily overlookable. However, a major problem is the plot - or rather, the complete lack of one. There is no antagonist either. Nothing. Not even a final boss battle. One of the biggest let down endings ever.
  36. Jul 21, 2012
    An awful trite game, with cliche characters , and a storyline, that is lacking in content, depth or meaning. The controls are pathetic. The lack of free space, cities, and side-quests does not help a game that claims to be an RPG. When I looked on the box artwork, I was expecting Fallout, in a whole new dimension, what I got was Call of Duty, with a tiny deviation from theAn awful trite game, with cliche characters , and a storyline, that is lacking in content, depth or meaning. The controls are pathetic. The lack of free space, cities, and side-quests does not help a game that claims to be an RPG. When I looked on the box artwork, I was expecting Fallout, in a whole new dimension, what I got was Call of Duty, with a tiny deviation from the standard linear gameplay. That's is to say the graphics are spellbinding, of the next generation. But the fact of the matter remains, that games aren't based on graphics. Games are based on content, and while I admit there was one or two moments of compelling action, the rest of the mechanics failed to appeal. I can only award 3/10 Expand
  37. Nov 21, 2011
    Rage is developed by Id Software, who is literally the father of the FPS genre starting with Wolfenstein 3D and Doom. Before Rage hit store shelves many people were afraid that it would be a copy of Borderlands, but luckily it is not. When I first sat down with Rage I noticed that it felt more like Doom 3 then Borderlands. Rage is about in the future an asteroid collides with killing mostRage is developed by Id Software, who is literally the father of the FPS genre starting with Wolfenstein 3D and Doom. Before Rage hit store shelves many people were afraid that it would be a copy of Borderlands, but luckily it is not. When I first sat down with Rage I noticed that it felt more like Doom 3 then Borderlands. Rage is about in the future an asteroid collides with killing most people. You where one of the few that was kept safe in an "Ark". When you finally get out the first thing you see is an amazing world that has so much detail from the rocks to the clouds. Many of the people who were not in the Arks have either became mutants or managed to stay alive in a Mad Max style setting. The game run smoothly and does not have any issue with frame rate. The games does have some glitches in it though like getting stuck or just other weird issues. Most of these glitches are not big issues. The weapons on Rage feel powerful and have a good weight to them. The AI is also some to complement. The enemies will not run around obsticals in the environment they will actually climb or jump over them. Even if you are shooting at an enemy, this especially pertains to mutants they could actually dodge your shots and end up getting close to you. Rage is a game made for gamers who want the taste for the old-school. Expand
  38. Oct 22, 2011
    The was an extremely disappointing release. When you start the game you are impressed by the visuals and game mechanics. It soon becomes clear however that it is nothing like Borderlands and is far from open world like many previews led us to believe. The weapons are great and the drivings pretty good but that's where it ends. This game is very linear - you go from A-B and back, you cannotThe was an extremely disappointing release. When you start the game you are impressed by the visuals and game mechanics. It soon becomes clear however that it is nothing like Borderlands and is far from open world like many previews led us to believe. The weapons are great and the drivings pretty good but that's where it ends. This game is very linear - you go from A-B and back, you cannot wonder from your mission and explore. And that's it. Its very basic and very easy. You require materials to build things such as door grinders - these are always made available when you need them so that's no challenge. Borderlands came out over two years ago and is still are far better game. All in all a great idea badly executed. Expand
  39. Oct 9, 2011
    Yes, Rage does feel a lot like the love child of Borderlands and Bioshock but is that really such a bad thing? Rage combines these two great games and takes them to the next level with some great AI and extremely satisfying gunfights.

As for the texture loading, it's no way near as bad as that of GTA IV, a game where nobody whined about texture loading, and really isn't that noticable (I'm playing this from the DVD's and not a HD install).
  40. Oct 6, 2011
    Make no mistake, this is not an RPG, it's a shooter, plain and simple. It offers some fun game play with some RPG-like elements (quest-like missions, crafting, minor bits of exploration). The driving is reasonably fun and well handled considering the digital controls when using keyboard/mouse. As a shooter it's not bad in the least. It has tight controls, the guns all have a reasonableMake no mistake, this is not an RPG, it's a shooter, plain and simple. It offers some fun game play with some RPG-like elements (quest-like missions, crafting, minor bits of exploration). The driving is reasonably fun and well handled considering the digital controls when using keyboard/mouse. As a shooter it's not bad in the least. It has tight controls, the guns all have a reasonable "weight" to them, and the enemy AI is pretty good at dodging and moving in a manner that offers a reasonable challenge to shooting them. All topped with a good (though perhaps at times a bit cliche) story.

The negatives I've seen tend to be one of two issues: No control over much in the way of graphical options, screen tearing, and texture pop-in. Or people who simply don't enjoy the game play mechanics. These are reasonable issues though the first couple issues come with some caveats. Id Tech 5 engine was designed to be auto-tuning to performance. If you're pulling maximum frame rate it'll load larger textures, use better shaders, etc. But I can totally see where people might want to keep control over these things and sometimes sacrifice a bit of performance for better visuals, or vice-versa. Screen tearing is pretty easily resolved by forcing triple buffering and v-synch in the drivers. Despite the lack of video options and control, the game looks terrific on a GeForce 570 and runs smoothly. The shooting is fun, controls work as expected, and the story is engaging. The downside to the graphics is that most of the objects in the environment are static, no bumping into chairs and knocking them over for example. Even small things that you could easily kick are immovable. That aside, the game's great, well worth the purchase for any shooter fan.
  41. Oct 10, 2011
    Simply awesome. Cant believe some of the bad reviews. ID have returned on top form. Finally a video game world that you can believe - no repeat assets etc. Sure it struggles a bit in places on the 360 but graphics tech has moved on a fair bit. We need the new 360 asap
  42. Oct 7, 2011
    If you are one of those people that cares only about graphics and never play more then 30 minutes of any game this is the best game in the world. If you are one of the very few that plays games through and care about the whole package its a good game, not great. Nobody likes to read too much so I will sum it up, its like Fallout 3 with much better interaction with the world andIf you are one of those people that cares only about graphics and never play more then 30 minutes of any game this is the best game in the world. If you are one of the very few that plays games through and care about the whole package its a good game, not great. Nobody likes to read too much so I will sum it up, its like Fallout 3 with much better interaction with the world and characters but minus the leveling and RPG elements plus a light sprinkling of boarderlands. Expand
  43. Jan 16, 2012
    ID is known for innovating new mechanics in the FPS genre but unforunatly, in Rage that borrow alot of other game's qualities which is ironic actually. Personally I didn't think this game was bad, but it certainly wasn't good. This is a disapointing title and gets really, really boring and dull after the first couple of hours due to the lack of interesting characters. The only thing thisID is known for innovating new mechanics in the FPS genre but unforunatly, in Rage that borrow alot of other game's qualities which is ironic actually. Personally I didn't think this game was bad, but it certainly wasn't good. This is a disapointing title and gets really, really boring and dull after the first couple of hours due to the lack of interesting characters. The only thing this game gets right is twofold. 1) It makes the arcade style of Borderlands into a more realistic look 2) The enemy AI are solid. They have many pathing to get you and I thought it was cool that some of the enemy would jump over rails etc to get to youID is known for innovating new mechanics in the FPS genre but unforunatly, in Rage that borrow alot of other game's qualities which is ironic actually. Personally I didn't think this game was bad, but it certainly wasn't good. This is a disapointing title and gets really, really boring and dull after the first couple of hours due to the lack of interesting characters. The only thing this game gets right is twofold. 1) It makes the arcade style of Borderlands into a more realistic look 2) The enemy AI are solid. They have many pathing to get you and I thought it was cool that some of the enemy would jump over rails etc to get to you Expand
  44. Feb 10, 2012
    RAGE: One of my most anticipated game of 2011 probably because of the tagline "From the creators of Doom and Quake". I was very hyped for this game. But the problem is that it isn't that good. Let's start. The intro scene was pretty good, but I don't really liked it that much. There are some cool references from their older games like the Doom Marine's bubble head, there are even YouTubeRAGE: One of my most anticipated game of 2011 probably because of the tagline "From the creators of Doom and Quake". I was very hyped for this game. But the problem is that it isn't that good. Let's start. The intro scene was pretty good, but I don't really liked it that much. There are some cool references from their older games like the Doom Marine's bubble head, there are even YouTube videos that show us a secret location like Doom's first level room and Quake's difficulty selection room. That was amazing and I really liked it. But that's the only interesting things about this game. The other ones are just average and it's one of those bland copy of Borderlands and Twisted Metal mixed together. The open-world isn't that open world. Probably because you are forced to do quests. And so far, there are no big maps which is disappointing too. The weapons are pretty cool but again, it feels like Borderlands, and the indoor parts are a little complicating. Another weak point of this game is probably the story. It's horrible with an average voice acting and forgetable characters. Why did peoples just relax in a situation that they shouldn't? If there are innocent peoples around and more emotional backstory, I think this game would've been perfect. It has lots of potentials like starving peoples that you should save, and soo many more. I swear to god, I'm getting bored playing this game, but then I forced myself to complete it just for this review, and the ending just piss me off literally in my heart. But other than those bad things, I think there are some good things. The music and sound FX are great, the graphics are very well detailed, the enemies are very challenging, and the driving parts are quite intense. After I beat the game, RAGE is a good game. Just don't play this game till the end because it will instantly drops your score from Good to maybe horrible. [7/10] "Good" Expand
  45. Mar 27, 2012
    WHAT A **** GAME. Racing / FPS / RPG sewn together in the post-apocalyptic wastelands. Wicked **** bra.
  46. Oct 13, 2011
    game is phenomenal... defientely oozes with content, gameplay, modes, graphics. Do everything the game has to offer and it will last you 20+ hours easily. Some of the best vehicles, enemies, AI, and weapons/invetory system i've ever seen.

MP vehicle challenges are a blast, and coop is very challenging.

10/10. Great job id & bethesda!
  47. Oct 11, 2011
    Say hello to the best looking game on modern consoles, unfortuanately its gameplay doesn't match its visuals. This is a perfect example of style over substance. ID nailed the graphics and didn't do anything new. If this was any other developer I wouldn't be as critical but this is ID. These guys INVENTED the FPS!! and this is not an evolution as much as it is the ultimate refinement ofSay hello to the best looking game on modern consoles, unfortuanately its gameplay doesn't match its visuals. This is a perfect example of style over substance. ID nailed the graphics and didn't do anything new. If this was any other developer I wouldn't be as critical but this is ID. These guys INVENTED the FPS!! and this is not an evolution as much as it is the ultimate refinement of the old school quake formulas. ID does try to appeal to modern audiences with mission structure and side quests etc. but it's been done so many time and so much better by so many games that RAGE comes off feeling like a borderlands clone without the RPG elements that made that game so much fun. It's a very solid shooter with beautiful graphics but nothing more. As an old schooler I wish I could say more but that's the plain and simple truth. I had way more fun with Dark Souls and Forza 4 and that's just the truth. The best rental of your life though. Expand
  48. Jun 21, 2013
    Played it and was almost immediately bored. Non-inventive combat system, dull plot, no back story. Yes, yes, yes, the graphics are all pretty, but that doesn't make a game. Sooooo, after giving this a 30 minute trial, I'm putting it back on the shelf.
  49. Oct 6, 2011
    This game while beautiful engine is lacking in almost every other area.

It just seems like a Fallout 4 Technology Demo. The whole time I was playing its short campaign I was thinking - so that is what Skyrim and Fallout 4 is going to look like.
  50. Oct 7, 2011
    Endlessly fierce, RAGE sticks to its motherly roots of id Soft, with classic, yet next gen innovative gunplay that makes your apocalyptic journey a gunsblazing adventure. id really took AI development to the next level where you actually feel and fear AI as a threat and not just a target to shot and walk past, the variety of items you can utilize to your survival or death can be criticalEndlessly fierce, RAGE sticks to its motherly roots of id Soft, with classic, yet next gen innovative gunplay that makes your apocalyptic journey a gunsblazing adventure. id really took AI development to the next level where you actually feel and fear AI as a threat and not just a target to shot and walk past, the variety of items you can utilize to your survival or death can be critical and miscalculation of consumption can lead to certain mini-game encounter which in a way, tense and not so "this is annoying". Yet, id's master piece isn't something for all gamers, like the DOOM and QUAKE eras, there were those games and there were Mario and Zelda. it is in a away, for those who understand what bad ass id classic is all about. Expand
  51. Oct 4, 2011
    Rage is a spectacle and it's everything I hoped it would be. Rage combines shooting and rpg elements to truly create an amazing experience. Rage is definitely the best looking title on consoles to date and if you have a pc that can run it your in for a treat. Rage isn't all about graphics though, ID has taken care to create an immersive story. The characters in rage are animatedRage is a spectacle and it's everything I hoped it would be. Rage combines shooting and rpg elements to truly create an amazing experience. Rage is definitely the best looking title on consoles to date and if you have a pc that can run it your in for a treat. Rage isn't all about graphics though, ID has taken care to create an immersive story. The characters in rage are animated perfectly and there are lots of characters that will stand out in your mind long after you finish the game. The atmosphere is simply stunning in rage, from the wastelands to the ruined cities. At it's heart rage is a shooter but, it also does a lot more than most recent first person shooters have done. Anyone who enjoys exploring, shooters, rpg games, and story driven games should really give rage a go. Expand
  52. Nov 27, 2011
    DooM. Quake. Wolfenstien. Rage. These are the 4 most bada*s games ever. And all of them are from id Software. I love this game. Especially, the Fallout, DooM, and Quake references such as the Vault Boy Bobble-head and the DooM and Quake rooms. Great job id!
  53. Oct 13, 2011
    Not worth your money. Unfortunately. Rage looks good. Well, anything upwards of 10 meters away from your character looks good. Close up unfortunately the mega textures reduce everything to flat garbage. Piles of blood, gore and body parts are nothing more than 1 single low poly object with a flat texture. no sense of depth at all. There are only 2 great things about the game: visuals in aNot worth your money. Unfortunately. Rage looks good. Well, anything upwards of 10 meters away from your character looks good. Close up unfortunately the mega textures reduce everything to flat garbage. Piles of blood, gore and body parts are nothing more than 1 single low poly object with a flat texture. no sense of depth at all. There are only 2 great things about the game: visuals in a distance and lighting. Gamepaly wise it fails on pretty much every level. Guns feel underpowered for the most part and the gun audio is shocking (akin more to can-opener than an instrument of death), with some sound effects actually being delayed and not playing until a second after you fire the damn thing. Pacing is terrible, and there is never a sense of threat. Face 2 enemies in a corridor and take a lot of damage? no problem, back up around a corner and go make a cup of tea. The 2 enemies will still be there 30 min later, happily hiding behind their prescribed boxes. Why chase you afterall? They seem to know that you have to go past them. Being sent to the same locations over and over again also is not a good thing. About 1 hour into the game i stopped doing any of the pointless side missions to avoid re-traversing the same bunkers over and over again. Cash, items and ammo did not seem to be a problem anyway. AI behaviour, while not strictly bad, is severely limited. It seems that AI use control points to a very strict and limiting degree. with a set radius and cone of vision - nothing will change their behaviour and if you see a section more than one (due to death) you will see them behave the exact same way every time.
    Death is another matter. The game has no checkpoints during action and the game only autosaves when loading new areas. It seems like the developers only realized that this might be an issue when they were close to finishing. so they tacked on some sort of mini revival game, which only resets every 10 min or so. The short of it: save a lot or don't die. Overall the game tries to do too much. I think they aimed for a mix between Bioshock and Fallout. Nothing it tries to do, works well. It's completely middle of the road, and sub-par in a lot of aspects. A lot of people complained about texture popping (which is insane on the xbox), but for me the biggest problem is simply that the game is not really fun to play. It does not grip me, i don't feel like i want to play it. And if i die and forgot to save, i have no problem switching the game off and not playing it for a few days, rather than repeat the last lame section. I was actually quite glad when it was over, and if i would not making it a habit of finishing games i buy, i would have stopped about 1 hour. Because after 1 hour you know pretty much what's what!
  54. Oct 6, 2011
    Overall:
    this game's single player campaign is short. very short.
    This is not Fallout 4.... it's barely Doom 3. What's good: graphics are cool. the animations are outstanding! the characters emote like a pixar movie. One this this game does that I never see in games is a full-body performance from the character. The characters will emote and pound on the table for emphasis, or play with
    Overall:
    this game's single player campaign is short. very short.
    This is not Fallout 4.... it's barely Doom 3.

What's good:
    graphics are cool. the animations are outstanding! the characters emote like a pixar movie. One this this game does that I never see in games is a full-body performance from the character. The characters will emote and pound on the table for emphasis, or play with their glasses - it's a joy to watch.

Graphics:
    the whole thing seems very uneven, the graphics even go from a Borderlands style illustrated painting look to a hyper-realistic. some things are beautiful and some things look like someone drew on it with a magic marker. The characters and costumes are all done brilliantly, I found my self striking up conversations with every Tom Dick and Harry in the game just to see the wonderful animations

the shootouts are fun, but all very predictable and no real re-play value. the driving combat made me long for BorderLands... it's really much better in this arena

Gameplay:
    I was sold a open-world sandbox game. Rage is not that. It is a very linear shooter where instead of being lead down claustrophobic corridors in Doom3 you are lead down claustrophobic canyons with a view of the sky. there are only a handful of areas and there is no real emergent gameplay
    I feel cheated, mislead.

Listen to Dean Devlin:
    Dean Devlin once said something like, "if you order Pizza and you get Chinese food, it doesn't matter how good that Chinese food is - it's going to be a bad experience"

So, take it from the guy who made movies that looked cool but never really delivered (Independence day, Godzilla, etc.) and apply his experience this game that looked cool but also never really delivered
  55. Apr 5, 2012
    Rage is about as much of a non-emotional experience as I've ever had. Whilst 80's arcade games lacked a story or depth they often provided excitement, whilst 90's RPGs lacked graphical pizzaz or superb asthetics they made you to care about characters and surrounding events, whilst 00's stratergy games took some time to get into they give you a great sense of satisfaction and feeling ofRage is about as much of a non-emotional experience as I've ever had. Whilst 80's arcade games lacked a story or depth they often provided excitement, whilst 90's RPGs lacked graphical pizzaz or superb asthetics they made you to care about characters and surrounding events, whilst 00's stratergy games took some time to get into they give you a great sense of satisfaction and feeling of challenge - Rage however stimulates you about as much as a wet fart does. It's not bad by any means, the controls are fine, the graphics are good, the overall game is, well, OK......but that's it. There's no stand out moments or instense feeling of excitement or satisfaction, there's just a few good ideas stuck in a mixing pot with the usual FPS elements and the ultimate end product is a rather dull one. Gripes I do have include a totally out of place driving element to the game, which just puts you off even more as it really breaks up the FPS action in a bad way, and the overall cartoony feel to the game feels out of place and nowhere near as immersive as Fallout 3's. Add to that a very short campaign and I can't see any reason to buy this. Bland and kinda pointless. Expand
  56. Oct 6, 2011
    Whoa.. I am not going to sit here & type a book on how awesome this is! but dang i love this game & can not put it down!! Excellent Graphics! Fun Characters & lots of content to keep you excited & Busy. HAIL TO THE SENTRY BOT :P
  57. Oct 4, 2011
    This game is amazing! I didn't want to like it. All I heard from the directors were, " It isn't an RPG, It isn't an RPG." And the only thing not RPG about it is you don't level up your character directly. You accept quests, level up your armor, level up your guns, level up your equipment ( which may be the best and funnest equipment of any game yet) You usually decide what you do andThis game is amazing! I didn't want to like it. All I heard from the directors were, " It isn't an RPG, It isn't an RPG." And the only thing not RPG about it is you don't level up your character directly. You accept quests, level up your armor, level up your guns, level up your equipment ( which may be the best and funnest equipment of any game yet) You usually decide what you do and don't want to quest, and it also has an amazing racing game built into the "not RPG" shooter. If this had the role playing label on the box, I wouldn't disagree. The graphics are over saturated, but still impossible not to marvel over. Like the Red Real movies over Blue Ray, this game is insanely beautiful. The gunplay is tight and responsive, and the wingstick may be the best thing to happen to an FPS since iron sights. Every button is where it should be on the default setting. The AI is unique, smart, and responsive, especially on the higher difficulties. The enemy actually frightened me by sneaking up on me a couple times in the opening "tutorial" levels. As much as I didn't want to like this game, it is a gem. If you like awesome graphics, compelling sound, tight gameplay, shooters, RPGs, Racers, than this game is for you. If you like Mario Cart or Madden, look elsewhere. Thank you Id, for being badass again. I can only hope more devs use Id Tech for their games before we have to buy a new system. The current gen is finally coming into its own, and Rage is that definitive proof. Expand
  58. Oct 24, 2011
    After playing through this game I feel the need to write a second review, since I have lowered my original score of this game. This game proves you can't teach an old dog new tricks. This game would have been amazing 10 years ago. Today it's just boring wrapped in better graphics. First let me clear up any misconceptions about game content. There is none. Boasting three discs... this isAfter playing through this game I feel the need to write a second review, since I have lowered my original score of this game. This game proves you can't teach an old dog new tricks. This game would have been amazing 10 years ago. Today it's just boring wrapped in better graphics. First let me clear up any misconceptions about game content. There is none. Boasting three discs... this is not because of content, hours and hours of missions. The first two disc are for the single player, the third disc is for multiplayer. "But two disc is still more than most!" you cry. Sorry, the discs contain the graphics, not missions or quests (I played through in a leisurely 10 hours). Yes this is an amazing looking game, you're driving along and see a giant ocean going ship completely stranded in this wasted desert. You can see that people have been using it as a place to live, you can drive up to it, get out and walk around it. Unfortunately you can't go in and explore it. There is nothing to explore outside of the "cities", most places you encounter you can not enter until you have been given the mission by an NPC. Load screens... are you F'n kidding me? Why do we still have these? If you can travel from one end of an open world to the other like in Red Dead Redemption without a frikkin load screen, why do they have them in this game ruining any immersion? Oh yeah, the guys at Id are still using 15 year old game and level design, just with prettier looking graphics. The story is almost non existent, boring, and ends abruptly making no sense. You never even meet or battle the main bad guy... I suspect this might be to leave room for a 'RAGE 2', though there is ZERO chance I would even pick up such a turd used. This game is also extremely buggy. I have fallen through the bottom of a map several times mainly using the garage lift in subway town. Even after installing all three disc to my harddrive, I still have to switch between discs when moving to the new areas (or multiplyer) which also boots me back to the dashboard. WTF?! I'm giving this game a 4, and that is being generous... Expand
  59. Sep 13, 2012
    This game has proven to me that there is some hope in the RPG genre. It may not be a ful RPG but that's precisely why it works. No stupid "actions have consequences 10 hours after and leave you confused and in a mess", no text scrolling and combat/gameplay done properly. Controls are solid and fluent, game mechanics are good and every step has been taken to avoid frustrating the player.This game has proven to me that there is some hope in the RPG genre. It may not be a ful RPG but that's precisely why it works. No stupid "actions have consequences 10 hours after and leave you confused and in a mess", no text scrolling and combat/gameplay done properly. Controls are solid and fluent, game mechanics are good and every step has been taken to avoid frustrating the player. It's not complicated by any means- very much pick up and play. It's not slow either- straight in to the action. Of course being made by id, the shooter mechanics are proper, none of that silly auto-aim rubbish you get in Fallout 3. This is a proper shooter but has some of the more desirable characteristics of an RPG, such as buying/selling items and ammo, free-roam and upgrading certain things. Characters and story may be rendered as generic and lacking in depth, but if you are the kind of gamer who demands action and gameplay (since it's a game and not a movie) then I would definitely recommend this. My main criticism is with the overall feel of the game. It seems so soulless, empty and shallow, with nothing particularly attractive or gripping about it. There's nothing outstanding, but all in all it's not a bad game. The graphics are supposed to be similar on PC and Xbox 360, with the PS3 version running at 30 FPS instead of 60 and at lower settings, but on the older Xbox 360 even with the game installed there is a distinct melted look which up until now was exclusive to Unreal Engine 3 when the graphics hadn't loaded properly. In Rage you can literally play peek-a-boo by turning away from a scene and quickly turning back to see the textures load individually, and taking their sweet time to do so at certain points. The inconsitent graphics which load while you're playing make the claim of "amazing graphics" seem a bit over the top, but the game does run at 60 frames per second, and is by far the best looking console game ever for such a high frame rate. I don't mind waiting at points for graphics to load because at 60 FPS and when they're loaded this game really does look amazing, and is proof that even with the outdated R520 Xenos GPU making a great looking shooter run at a smooth 60FPS is still possible. Overall Rage is the kind of game you buy if you're not into RPGs but want solid, and I mean better than Call of Duty controls and combat - with the free-roam and upgrades and buying ammo and stuff. It's like a surviva game because you buy and scavenge everything, but you can carry everything at once and craft items etc. Everything in Rage has been arranged so that you, the player, will NEVER get frustrated or indeed, RAGE at the game even on Nightmare difficulty, which is really fun and intense at the same time. You feel like you're playing a survival shooter but unlike Stalker, you're not restricted to have fun. RAGE is satisfying in every way, getting the balance right between combat, racing and other RPG-ish kind of stuff. That's RAGE's greatest achievement- the ability to make an RPG shooter and get just about everything spot on. It's open world but with a focus, and you can explore as much as you want or just rush through without being penalised. I like that there is a difficulty setting and the achievements aren't stupid. The health system and ability to revive yourself and save your game at any point is useful too. RAGE really is a pick-up-and-play game with good content that doesn't alienate shooter fans with a load of confusing RPG rubbish. id Software have definitely pulled it off. Expand
  60. Oct 14, 2011
    Great visuals, ok gameplay. It does feel like Quake, but without the original grit of that series. It would have been a score better and possibly a hit had it been 100% co-opable like Borderlands. This game isn't exactly an rpg, but it has light RPG elements. The junk collecting to build things is less than intuitive, dealing with vendors who are sprawled out in a town isn't reallyGreat visuals, ok gameplay. It does feel like Quake, but without the original grit of that series. It would have been a score better and possibly a hit had it been 100% co-opable like Borderlands. This game isn't exactly an rpg, but it has light RPG elements. The junk collecting to build things is less than intuitive, dealing with vendors who are sprawled out in a town isn't really fun. Once the game gets going though, its good. But not great. Expand
  61. Oct 5, 2011
    I can't believe some people giving this game a zero.Take it from a hardcore gamer this game is the real deadly the gunplay is tight the shiniest move so realistically the graphics are unbelievable at 60fps.the only thing its lacking is a story such doesn't matter cuz you'll just want to shoot stuff.It wont make goty with all the great games coming out but this game should not be missed.forI can't believe some people giving this game a zero.Take it from a hardcore gamer this game is the real deadly the gunplay is tight the shiniest move so realistically the graphics are unbelievable at 60fps.the only thing its lacking is a story such doesn't matter cuz you'll just want to shoot stuff.It wont make goty with all the great games coming out but this game should not be missed.for the record im playing on the 360. Expand
  62. Jan 6, 2012
    I have decided to alter my score, since I have played through the entire game, and now have a much better and open opinion on it.

The game does have potential, however the story was too short, and the game despite being open ended, doesn't give you an incentive to explore, infact there is no where too explore, since you'll end up visiting everywhere during the main story. As for the

As for the graphics, I have seen better. The so called "Super Textures" were not super. They were good, but as I said I have seen better.

Also I feel the game placed too much emphasis on racing rather than shooting, and there is no equal balancing between the two. The shooting segments are good, and they are challenging enough but not to the point of frustration.

Overall if you are expecting a fallout(ish) game then RAGE is not for you, it's way too linear to be considered fallout(ish). If you like racing games then it's worth taking a look at.
  63. Oct 7, 2011
    I think this game is really good and don't see where all the negative comments are coming from. Its like a mix between fallout and borderlands. The campaign is not too quick at all especially if you take into account all the side missions and races etc... and those complaining about it not being an rpg well that's what fallout and skyrim is for, we don't want everything to be an rpg.I think this game is really good and don't see where all the negative comments are coming from. Its like a mix between fallout and borderlands. The campaign is not too quick at all especially if you take into account all the side missions and races etc... and those complaining about it not being an rpg well that's what fallout and skyrim is for, we don't want everything to be an rpg. Although that being said there are actually rpg elements to it, such as upgrading vehicles, armour and weapons. My only negativity is the graphics just don't seem to load quick enough which is unnoticeable once you just get on with the game (might even be just my console, which is a slim btw). I for one love the game and am glad I bought it. especially considering I got the anarchy edition! Expand
  64. Oct 5, 2011
    The graphics are good when they work. This is totally a console port. Screen tearing, loss of textures, very limited graphics options - well actually, you only get resolution, AA and something else. Well that shows how exciting this game is.

There is no rpg elements really just a standard FPS which would be ok if the graphical glitches and other issues were not so pronounced. Talk about porting a game without actually checking its compatibility. People everywhere are having the same issues that I am.

I suggest waiting for id to release patches to hopefully make this game what it should have been instead of releasing a cheap knock-off...
  65. Oct 4, 2011
    Beautiful graphics.. Sharp Sounds. States of Art.
    RAGE is great mixture of Quake II and Bioshock. first 30 min, maybe boring. but when you reach some 'So Many thing to kill zone'... you'll never gonna miss the truth. you're playing idsoftware's game. Full of blood on screen, Shotguns running out of ammo, Explosion... and the new head popper. wingstick
    Maybe some COD kids will HATE this
    Beautiful graphics.. Sharp Sounds. States of Art.
    Maybe some COD kids will HATE this game(lack of cutscene and too much blood and gore) but i believe many of people will like this and love it. Oh you think Storyline is bad ? you should go play some torment over and over again. this is a shooter game. everyone knows.
  66. Oct 4, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Not played yet, but put 10 /10. An absolutely stunning looking game. But more than that, Rage is an excellently crafted and well-polished FPS / RPG. And to be honest, I could try and tell you how certain aspects are similar to other games, but that just wouldn't give Rage its proper respect. Rage is its own beast, and it is a beauty. Expand
  67. Oct 4, 2011
    I honestly don't understand the negative reviews that this game is getting. I've been playing it a great deal since getting my hands on it and for the first time since I can remember that I've invested in a new IP and ended up with exactly what I was expecting. Rage delivers on almost every level.

I don't need to get into Rage's graphics or presentation; one look at the game speaks for itself in case you haven't heard id's ongoing rambling about it being one of the best looking games available. id Tech 5 shows off enough power here to impress any reasonable person. That being said, I'm playing Rage on the PS3 (that installation time was a **** and the only graphical flaws are minor but similar to those I've seen in Killzone 3 and Crysis 2. I considered getting this game for the 360 but I was turned off by the need for having to install three discs. I have the 250-GB slim model, but as someone who once had the old (and very limited) 20-GB 360, I feel the pain of those who won't have the hard drive space to install all three at once.

Audio design is just as well done in every aspect one would expect, but I'll leave it up to you to discover how great it is rather than going into detail here.

My only legitimate complaint thus far is that the checkpoint system in Rage is basically non-existent. You'll receive auto-saves at the beginning of and just after missions, but that's it. Traveling through one of the game's lengthy city stages and being sent back to outside the city walls upon death was frustrating enough for me to put the game down for a while. I've experienced this type of setback a few times already. This is solved simply enough by saving the game whenever it comes to mind, but I'm generally more focused on trying to immerse myself in the world and the action around me to worry about a feature that's standard in most games nowadays.

Also, it's worthy of a small note that this is not Shakespeare. Rage has a plot, and as some of it's elements aren't exactly new and exciting, (we've all walked out of a vault, scrounged to stay alive, and spent many hours in futuristic wastelands), the player shouldn't expect a groundbreaking narrative from id Software. I was let down by this, as I hoped Rage would be a rift in the trend of shooters with poor stories. It's not a bad plot, it's just kind of there to get you from A to B.

Other than my minor gripes, Rage is everything I wanted.

Enemies are just as brutal and resourceful as we've heard, as Rage features some of the best enemy AI I've ever seen. Mutant thugs dodge your reticule when you go ADS, downed foes crawl to cover as they bleed out, etc. I've already been forced to do some encounters twice (see ****y paragraph above) and can confidently say that other than perhaps boss battles, no two encounters in Rage will ever be the same.

The arsenal available to the player is also impressive, if not comprised of elements that have been done before. Four weapons can be hot-mapped to the right trigger/R2 menu, with additional weapons available in the game's in-depth and useful Inventory system. Two assault rifles, two shotguns, a pistol, a sniper rifle, a rocket launcher, and yes, a crossbow, are among the main tools that deal out very convincing damage to opponents. Each weapon has various firing modes and ammunition types. Coupled with Rage's stellar opponents, mixing weapons, ammo types, and equipment is what makes the combat fun. It's very much the player's game, and it generally rewards creativity with success in combat.

Driving across the wasteland has been surprisingly fun and deep to this point. It easily outdoes the fragile and clunky controls of the go-karts in Borderlands. Vehicles are waiting to be unlocked, their weapons upgraded, their bodies painted, and bonus powers are available to turn the odds on the bandits who always outnumber the player.
    id obviously has a lot of faith in their vision for Rage's vehicular combat. Races and unlocking new vehicles are key components of progressing in the campaign. Also, traditional FPS multiplayer components have been scrapped and replaced by Twisted Metal-like car combat. It's not a venue of endless entertainment, but it is a fun break from traditional shooters and is much deeper than most will be expecting.

I firmly believe that reviews have been unfair to Rage. This is, in my opinion, a perfect example of a game that is fun despite some abstract number some critic picked out. The presentation is gorgeous, the gameplay is tight but expansive fun, and this game does just enough right to warrant a return to the all-too-familiar apocalypse setting.

Rage isn't a masterpiece; it's a vision.
  68. Oct 4, 2011
    I am in love with this game. I was one of the lucky few gamers on pc who (and always) bought an Nvidia card. So for me the game looks great and plays great. I do get some screen tearing but it's not enough to deter from the game. I'm enjoying it so far and I personally think other people can too. ID tried something new and it feels good to me. Sure it's not the greatest wasteland game outI am in love with this game. I was one of the lucky few gamers on pc who (and always) bought an Nvidia card. So for me the game looks great and plays great. I do get some screen tearing but it's not enough to deter from the game. I'm enjoying it so far and I personally think other people can too. ID tried something new and it feels good to me. Sure it's not the greatest wasteland game out there but i'm having a good time. Expand
  69. Oct 5, 2011
    One of the best games this year.High quality fallout-like gameplay.Graphics are beautiful,gameplay is addicting.There are many things to do.Shooting mechanics are awesome.
  70. Oct 5, 2011
    I wasn't going to get this game, but after some careful thought and watching many trailers and game play videos, I decided to go out and give it a shot. I do not regret it one bit. This game is amazing. The graphics, sound, setting, ai, animations, mechanics, everything looks, and feels so good. Any fan of post-apocalyptic games needs to give this game a try. Any fan of shooters will notI wasn't going to get this game, but after some careful thought and watching many trailers and game play videos, I decided to go out and give it a shot. I do not regret it one bit. This game is amazing. The graphics, sound, setting, ai, animations, mechanics, everything looks, and feels so good. Any fan of post-apocalyptic games needs to give this game a try. Any fan of shooters will not be disappointed, the enemies are always behaving in different ways, allowing you to utilise your entire arsenal in many different ways. The driving is a welcome addition and I found it a very enjoyable way to get to your quests. I've heard a lot of bad things (from critics and gamers alike), mainly in regards to story, but with a solid set of mechanics and awesome location and graphics, a less than awesome story is fine with me (I've only played 3 hours, so I am unable to give my own comments on the story). This game is definitely worth the money and you will not regret your purchase! Expand
  71. Oct 5, 2011
    I've really been blindsided by all these low reviews for this game, it's pretty fantastic and I honestly can't understand how anyone could connotate it as bad. Great FPS mechanics mixed with a strong RPG base, makes for a fantastic game. Trolls will troll I guess.
  72. Oct 18, 2011
    Nearly finished on the 360 and greatly enjoyed it. Classic explore and shoot gameplay with minimal upgrading/RPG elements that works for me in the setting it was employed in. Subject to my negative points (see below) the graphics are pleasant and the level settings beautiful and stylish.

The graphics "popping" when you enter an area is a little odd but something that normal gamers will ignore after the second time. Of greater annoyance is the texture popping where you closely crouch behind a fairly detailed surface and then quickly pop up, or turn, to see the textures on mid-distance surfaces popping into place. That is a little distracting.

The challenges posed by the game on Normal through to Nightmare make it fun and challenging for the average gamers but the self-styled elite gamers may complain that it is still too easy which is a valid opinion.

Overall, a well designed and well executed game that would be well worth a look, especially if more DLC is added.
  73. Oct 5, 2011
    Completely bug plagued on PC. Total crap. CAN NOT believe id released this. A huge waste of time, not to mention money. Was this even beta tested? Inexcusable. It's experiences like this that drive gamers to pirated software. How can I get my money back?
  74. Oct 6, 2011
    Rage is one of the BEST FPS in 2011 definitely, although it has some texture in PC, but now it has some workaround that solve over 90% problem. the texture is low resolution when look closely, but during normal gaming time, the visual is really AWESOME, every place is unique, not other games have many repeat environment.
    Rage wasteland is one of the best art in all FPS till now. the mixed
    Rage wasteland is one of the best art in all FPS till now. the mixed setting between hardcore FPS and RPG is very good. Play feel like hardcore FPS, but has some RPG element, the RPG elements don't infuluence the shooting feeling, this game is still a fast moving & shooting FPS, I think Rage is a awesome for hardcore & old-school FPS gamer. The fallen of Duke Nukem Forever make me feel maybe this type FPS could be vanished, but the coming of Rage make me feel so happy, I bought rage during steam QuakeCon sale with DOOM & Quake pack, I feel this is a very worthy deal.
    If you like some different and innovative FPS game, I think Rage is a good choice for you:)
  75. Oct 6, 2011
    It sure is pretty and set in a supposedly open world - but the story is still linear and completely devoid of any real choice (or even the illusion of). The game feels uninspired, reeking of that "been there, done that" feeling. When I think of "the wasteland" I still think of Fallout - not Rage. Sorry id, your game is kinda boring.
  76. Oct 6, 2011
    I have been anticipating this game since seeing it at quake con 2011 , and pre-purchased the game through steam. I believe they tried to take on too much the race car game and fps in one, as one review i read put it without mastering either. The wasteland is not like fallout an ultimate sand box but a car game in itself. The story is absent ten hours in to the game ,and Ive yet toI have been anticipating this game since seeing it at quake con 2011 , and pre-purchased the game through steam. I believe they tried to take on too much the race car game and fps in one, as one review i read put it without mastering either. The wasteland is not like fallout an ultimate sand box but a car game in itself. The story is absent ten hours in to the game ,and Ive yet to determine an antagonist or even a general reason for me being in the game at all. You get quest complete in three minutes rinse and repeat. I will shelve this game for dark souls today. Graphics is the only reason i gave any points at all. Expand
  77. Oct 6, 2011
    I can't understand why this game would get any negative feedback. The gunplay is tight, the vehicular portions of the game are a blast. And the graphics are unbelievable. Sure this game is not reinventing the wheel, but what it does is take the best of so many worlds and adds a brilliant polish to it. Do not listen to the haters.
  78. Nov 28, 2011
    Passable, but nothing more. First off, the game is cut into two genres, FPS and racing. While both parts are handled well enough, they don't compliment each other, making for an awkward experience overall. It's like playing two entirely different games, but neither of them are fleshed out enough. You have the gunplay, which mostly holds up due to the rather impressive enemy ai. And thenPassable, but nothing more. First off, the game is cut into two genres, FPS and racing. While both parts are handled well enough, they don't compliment each other, making for an awkward experience overall. It's like playing two entirely different games, but neither of them are fleshed out enough. You have the gunplay, which mostly holds up due to the rather impressive enemy ai. And then you have the racing, which is rather fun, but is held back by repetition, and some poor design choices. Then you have the game's biggest draw, it's graphics. At a glance, the game looks pretty damn good. There is a lot of detail in just about every corner of the world, and is easily one of the best looking games on the consoles. Again though, I said at a glance. Take the time to stop and admire the scenery, and you will quickly realize there isn't all that much to admire. The game suffers from terrible texture load-in, and many of the texture are set at an extremely low resolution. Easily, the the most impressive thing about this game, in terms of visuals, are the animations, which benefit from the high frames per second id's new engine has the game Rage running at. It has to be mentioned that the visual issues with this are only magnified when it comes to the pc version, which should have been the best version of the game, considering. To make matters worse, the developers were pretty sneaky with how they marketed the game. From early on, they led people into believing that the game was largely open-world, which helped create buzz for the game, pre-release. Only days after the game launched did they come out and say that the game wasn't a, "fully open-world", but a jointed collection of areas, separated by stretches of wasteland. Basically, "You people thought it, and we let you believe it". Not a good way to handle yourself, being that this was your first major release in over six years.

Rage is a game that showed much potential, but ultimately, the developers delivered what is more or less minimalism. Gameplay that is less than truly satisfying. An rather uninteresting world. Forgettable side-content. And, ultimately, a package that doesn't live up to the full retail price it asks for. Bargain material for those still interested, and little else.
  79. Oct 7, 2011
    Rage is a wonderful game, provided the experience is different from most FPS's you see out there. The races are an incredible part of the game that makes the experience in playing it is even more incredible. The setting is one thing that deserves congratulations, because although the story does not ponro be the stronger of the game, not even wanting, soaking in the world of Rage is wonderful.
  80. Oct 8, 2011
    This game is a huge let down. It's an obvious console port, and an extremely poorly done one at that. If you can manage to get past the severe and widespread technical issues that plague this game for a huge portion of PC users, it's nothing more than a short, linear, plain shooter than lacks the substance of FPS games from the past five years. Do yourself a favor and save your money, thisThis game is a huge let down. It's an obvious console port, and an extremely poorly done one at that. If you can manage to get past the severe and widespread technical issues that plague this game for a huge portion of PC users, it's nothing more than a short, linear, plain shooter than lacks the substance of FPS games from the past five years. Do yourself a favor and save your money, this game is just a tech demo for Id's new console engine.. Expand
  81. Oct 8, 2011
    Best graphics ever! I don't know who is giving this game 80s but I don't think they are playing the same game I am. Of course it's going to be blurry if you zoom on an object. All games do that.
  82. Oct 9, 2011
    Played this game for 8 hours and I'm really enjoying. Don't listen to screen tears as that is only on PC, on Xbox 360 this game plays amazingly, uninspired Multiplayer could do with some TDM or CTF but overall a very good game
  83. Oct 9, 2011
    RAGE is one of the best looking games I've ever played with an amazing attention to detail and some incredibly fluid animations. Unfortunately this is the only good thing I can say about the game.

Story is bland with terrible pacing and one incredibly anticlimactic ending. Then again I wasn't expecting a good story from ID Software, but what I did expect was good gameplay which the game unfortunately doesn't have either. The campaign takes about 6 hours to complete which seems to be the standard for FPS games these days. Several parts of the story forces you to go through previous locations you've already been to with little change in gameplay. Outside the main story there are a few bland side quests where you once again find yourself forced to backtrack previous mission areas.

The game features your generic assault rifle, rocket launcher, pistol, shotgun etc. You also get some toys like turrets, remote controlled bombs, electrical bolts and a few other things. You'll never find any good use for these though except when the game sets it up for you. You can also have different vehicles which you can use to compete in races that are incredibly easy to win. Winning a race lets you upgrade your vehicle but there isn't much of a point to it unless you enjoy killing the same generic vehicles when traversing the otherwise dead wasteland.

Overall RAGE is a great looking game with bland gameplay and too little content.
  84. Oct 9, 2011
    The game is pretty when you don't move, else it's just texture and props popping in & out... But imo, the graphics don't do much in a game, so I won't count it in my rating. Story wise, well.... Really vast, lots of possibilities, but in the end, you have countless of questions to ask (in fact, you have a lot right at the beginning but even after 10 hours, no answer...) & the lack ofThe game is pretty when you don't move, else it's just texture and props popping in & out... But imo, the graphics don't do much in a game, so I won't count it in my rating. Story wise, well.... Really vast, lots of possibilities, but in the end, you have countless of questions to ask (in fact, you have a lot right at the beginning but even after 10 hours, no answer...) & the lack of dialogue makes it really hard to understand everything the game is about... Imagine Mass Effect without the interactions with all the characters, it would loose a lot. Now, the awesome inventory... who can carry 20 explosive RC cars, 6 guns (sniper, rocket launcher, machine gun...), lots of junks & still sprint like this? I mean, how can you qualify this inventory system "awesome"? Oh, I forgot, you can combine things to make other things (explosives + RC Car = explosive RC Car, YEAH!!), it really adds a lot to the game (sarcasm....). Let's talk about the uber awesome AI, they dodge your reticle, delaying your shot by a second (they dodge only one time...), else, they just run at you, or take cover until you kill them in an headshot, never seen an AI that good in a while (sarcasm, again). I won't talk about the sound, its decent for a shooter, but not that great, look at battlefield to hear how it should be done. I know I do a lot of comparison, but hey, ID made it for the money and it's business, and business means doing things better than the others, which in this case, is really bad. If I recap quickly what I've experienced (yes, I finished the game, in hope of having some clues about what was going on...): 1. Good graphics when you take screenshots. 2. Good story, lots of potential (jk, it's the same as fallout/borderlands and other folks, but without their pros). 3. Races, I liked it (see the rating? where did you think the 2/10 came from?), it was fun at first, but became boring unfortunately >< 4. You can't ask questions, just go where you have to, kill everything, press some buttons, then come back. Repeat. (sometimes you just have to go somewhere, and do the process again and again, when you're changing your "questing zone"). 5. The final mission. RAGE 2 INCOMING, when you get there, you'll certainly be like "damn, 20GB for... that?". 6. No level editor as of now (unlike they promised....), but will certainly be included in a 20$ dlc which will include multiplayer game modes, vehicle skins and some others things console gamers are willing to buy. 7. After finishing the game, I still haven't delivered the Mind controlling thing the scientist made for the resistance, I have no idea why the arks will save the earth from the authority, and why/how the authority apparently made mutants (elizabeth talked about using them as a weapon, but no one knows in fact > Expand
  85. Oct 9, 2011
    Posiblemente será el mejor shooter del año en modo campaña, por novedoso y creativo, con esto lo digo todo. Me aburren ya todos aquellos juegos que triunfan en el mercado simplemente por el mutijugador.
  86. Oct 12, 2011
    Rage is extremely engrossing and endlessly addicting, until you start to realize it's all a facade. I'm a big fan of this game, and I enjoyed it immensely. My complaints are legitimate though, and held me back from giving it anything higher than an 8. But make no mistake, this is a very solid 8 of a game. You will not walk away from this thinking, "what did I spend my money on?". I've justRage is extremely engrossing and endlessly addicting, until you start to realize it's all a facade. I'm a big fan of this game, and I enjoyed it immensely. My complaints are legitimate though, and held me back from giving it anything higher than an 8. But make no mistake, this is a very solid 8 of a game. You will not walk away from this thinking, "what did I spend my money on?". I've just recently finished the single player campaign and figured I'd weigh in, so this doesn't concern multiplayer. The atmosphere is amazing. Level design and art direction are some of the best. Even when you retread an area, they seem to make it fresh again. It's oppressive walking through some of these broken down, dank areas anticipating an enemy attack. The gun play is top notch. At 60 fps the action flies and the enemies are pretty intelligent. They are certainly the most unpredictable enemies you will face in any shooter. Very resourceful, and agile. The best thing about this game is the bullet impact. Every shot you land seems to directly translate into an enemy animation, and it's very satisfying. There were no less than 5 stand out moments in my opening hours with the game where I literally killed an enemy and said "whoaaaa" out loud because of how cool and unexpected his death was. Even 10 hours in, I landed a kill that I may never forget. I was moving through the sewers below town and was faced with a pack of mutants. I backed into a room and began firing at them and taking others out with my wingstick from the small room. The final enemy jumped into the doorway, suspending himself in the frame with his hands and feet and just kind of hissed at me. I threw a wingstick at him, which severed his head. His head fell to the ground below him, and his body landed behind it in an almost seated position. It was so f***ing cool I had to pause the game and contemplate whether they had a team of amazing animators, or if they use some type of physics based animation system like that seen in Read Dead Redemption.
    At the end of the day, I deducted points based on linearity, repetition of mission types, and a story that only half heartedly tries to materialize in the last half of the game. In particular, the last mission of the game is fairly pathetic. It almost feels like the developers were just trying to get this game out of the door. It plays out like a typical mission, the challenge is low, and just when you think you're on to something - it's over. For the first disc of this game I was decided it was a 10. By the time I began disc 2 I knew it was working its way down as things became less impressive. At the end of the day, it's a stellar game and a shooter that any fan of FPS action can't afford to miss. Lastly, the driving action is surprisingly entertaining. It's not a perfect game, or the game they had been promising us, but it is worth playing - if only for the superb shooting mechanics, animations, and gorgeously realized world.
  87. Oct 9, 2011
    This could have been a great game .... had it actually run on Steam, had decent graphics, a strong story line and an adequate ending. Unfortunately, it had none of the above. For $60, it sucked.
  88. Oct 12, 2011
    The graphics wow you for about half an hour and then you realize this is just a shallow game with a gash story & 100's of repetitive mini quests. Going to go back and play Resistance 3 now.
  89. Oct 10, 2011
    A great game that is worth your time. I am genuinely surprised by all the bad user reviews (PC issues aside). First, the graphics and the art style are amazing -- it's like playing in a comic book. The environments are gorgeous and detailed, and there are lots of nooks and crannies to explore. There's a huge variety of activities to undertake -- gambling, racing, exploring, fighting (ofA great game that is worth your time. I am genuinely surprised by all the bad user reviews (PC issues aside). First, the graphics and the art style are amazing -- it's like playing in a comic book. The environments are gorgeous and detailed, and there are lots of nooks and crannies to explore. There's a huge variety of activities to undertake -- gambling, racing, exploring, fighting (of course). I'm particularly addicted to finding cards for the Magic-esquse collectible card game. The story is interesting and filled with memorable characters. The animations are a joy to watch. From the mutants that leap from walls and hang from door frames to the friendly NPCs you'll meet along the way. Enemy AI is good and provides a challenge. Melee enemies will dodge in unpredictable ways while ranged enemies will often fall back to regroup. The Open world provides enough freedom to give you a choice of things to do, while not being pointlessly large and empty just for the sake of being expansive (if you notice, in most "open world" games, you never even bother with 50% of the terrain except for traveling through it to your next 2 minute long "mission".

Personally, as a long-time gamer whose first shooter was Doom, I loved some of the subtle conventions in this game. Your character doesn't talk, you can carry as many weapons and other junk as you want without annoying inventory management, and enemies take more than a few hits to bring down. Your mileage may vary. of course.

And I didn't even touch on the multiplayer, yet. The racing is a fun diversion and the co-op shooting levels are challenging and fun. There seems to be so much content in the main game that it's an unnecessary addition, but it provides added value.

Rage is essentially an old-school shooter with some roleplaying elements (no pointless leveling, etc., though) and an open world hub area containing lots of different diversions. Think Bioshock + Borderlands + Fallout 3. If that appeals to you, pick it up!
  90. Oct 10, 2011
    I had really high hopes for this game. Right from the beginning this game drops the ball, taking a world that looks amazing and turning it into something completely mundane. It's like waiting your whole life to drive a Ferrari and realizing all you can do is drive it from one end of your street to the other, at 15 miles per hour. It's clear that id tried way too hard to go out of theirI had really high hopes for this game. Right from the beginning this game drops the ball, taking a world that looks amazing and turning it into something completely mundane. It's like waiting your whole life to drive a Ferrari and realizing all you can do is drive it from one end of your street to the other, at 15 miles per hour. It's clear that id tried way too hard to go out of their comfort zone into RPG territory, without understanding what makes a person invested in the story and the characters. The missions in this game are about as fun as going to the grocery store to get food for a party you're not attending, returning home to find you've forgotten something, then going back to the store to find it closed. The shooting environments look cool but for some reason they had the same voice actor voice all the enemies in a particular area, saying the same dumb things to himself over and over. This game suffers from the same condition as Duke Nukem Forever: a situation where the development team has rested so completely on its laurels that they have ignored what has made the great games over the last 5 years great. If you're looking to buy a new game in this style, I'd actually buy Dead Island and then Deus Ex over this. Dead Island is actually quite fun for how simple it is, and Deus Ex has some cool ideas implemented in a somewhat dull story. Or you could buy Fallout New Vegas, ignore the somewhat crappy visuals and spend 50 or so hours poking around the wasteland until Skyrim comes out. Expand
  91. Oct 11, 2011
    Awesome. Don't pay any attention to the 12 year old reviewers. Before playing the game you need to re-adjust your expectations. This is not Fallout 3. The closest game I've played to this is Bioshock, but bigger!. There, expectations reconfigured, we can now enjoy what is an excellently polished, gorgeous example of what a modern shooter can be. The mechanics are quick and easy to useAwesome. Don't pay any attention to the 12 year old reviewers. Before playing the game you need to re-adjust your expectations. This is not Fallout 3. The closest game I've played to this is Bioshock, but bigger!. There, expectations reconfigured, we can now enjoy what is an excellently polished, gorgeous example of what a modern shooter can be. The mechanics are quick and easy to use putting you in control of fire-fights and rewarding you for finding new tactics and ways of killing. My only negative is a slightly confused pace. The missions can sometimes feel a bit sparse, with enemy's coming slow and unsteady; making me wish it was a bit more full on a frantic at times. The vehicular parts are fantastic, if a little basic, people expecting anything other than an arcade shooter will be disappointed. It's meant to be a speed freak, sight seeing jolly. There are lots of little nods to previous Id games that won't make sense if your 12 cos they happened before you were born! To be honest, although it has many hours of gameplay, I can't see much replay value... but I like it, it's the best game this year. Buy it. Expand
  92. Oct 11, 2011
    This is a visually stunning game, that has a lot for everybody. That being said it has it's own host of problems, namely hit detection is beyond horrible, you can be lined up with your sniper rifle 300m out and with the sight directly on the target and hit nothing but air.The guns are equally as accurate when fired from the hip, there is no sway at all when looking through the scope.AIThis is a visually stunning game, that has a lot for everybody. That being said it has it's own host of problems, namely hit detection is beyond horrible, you can be lined up with your sniper rifle 300m out and with the sight directly on the target and hit nothing but air.The guns are equally as accurate when fired from the hip, there is no sway at all when looking through the scope.AI characters running into walls, then flailing about for minutes after they die. But the absolutely worst part for me was the ending. It's just stupid, anti-climatic, answers no questions, no final boss to fight and then the credits start to roll (which is in fact is the only way you will know the game is over.).
    I've played worse games, but I definitely hoped for more out of this game.
  93. Oct 12, 2011
    Rage is great from the beginning, right when you put in the first disc. The vistas are gorgeous, but the graphics system likes to continuously shade and blending. This technical hiccup is easy to overlook, only because it doesn't take from the experience. The story starts off strong, but fizzles off quickly and is only a distant memory by the halfway mark in the game. The gameplay isRage is great from the beginning, right when you put in the first disc. The vistas are gorgeous, but the graphics system likes to continuously shade and blending. This technical hiccup is easy to overlook, only because it doesn't take from the experience. The story starts off strong, but fizzles off quickly and is only a distant memory by the halfway mark in the game. The gameplay is very solid and it's very responsive. The gunplay and driving segments both work great, but the latter seems like it was tacked on. The game could use more enemy types, and the AI is laughable at times. The PRG elements that are entailed in the game are handled very well, and the inventory system never feels too crowded. Every item that can be used, traded, or dropped is nicely labeled for easy decision making. Rage may not be the strongest or best game this year, but what it does is give a very solid game that people can enjoy. Technical hiccups and quibbles aside, Rage is a very solid game released on the Xbox 360. Expand
  94. Oct 13, 2011
    Thanks to the exceptionally high standard of animation, RAGE feels great. Every bullet has an effect on the enemies, and so every shot fired feels as satisfying as the next. Mutants swing from the ceiling and walls, launching themselves at you with knives and maces, only to be shot in the face by your rocket-loaded shotgun with astonishing fluidity. It's a shame that almost everything elseThanks to the exceptionally high standard of animation, RAGE feels great. Every bullet has an effect on the enemies, and so every shot fired feels as satisfying as the next. Mutants swing from the ceiling and walls, launching themselves at you with knives and maces, only to be shot in the face by your rocket-loaded shotgun with astonishing fluidity. It's a shame that almost everything else in RAGE is flawed, from the blunt characters and "story" to the lifeless brown/grey environment; you will travel around the wasteland in your bricks-for-wheels buggy, attempting to complete trivial side-quests like collecting parts for a damaged car or finding a gun in a prison, yada yada yada. If anything, RAGE is substantial proof that even the most pointless and uninspiring of games can be considered entertaining, so long as it is executed properly with backing from a big-budget publisher. Expand
  95. Oct 17, 2011
    The wasteland motif is becoming tiresome- no matter what the framerate is. RPG elements are weak, and quests are repetitive and monotonous. Customization of character, weaponry, and vehicles is shallow. Replay through your Borderlands or Fallout until BL2 comes out.
  96. Oct 18, 2011
    I have to state up front that I am generally a big fan of Bethesda. I have loved all of the Fallout games and can't wait for the next Elder Scrolls installment. So I Really bought this game off the back of their name. Sadly I feel quite let down. The game looks BEAUTIFUL - really well crafted, but ultimately it's way too short, the game play is way too formulaic and generally I feel quiteI have to state up front that I am generally a big fan of Bethesda. I have loved all of the Fallout games and can't wait for the next Elder Scrolls installment. So I Really bought this game off the back of their name. Sadly I feel quite let down. The game looks BEAUTIFUL - really well crafted, but ultimately it's way too short, the game play is way too formulaic and generally I feel quite let down by playing it. The driving is rubbish, never once was I challenged in the races, and the shooting is not all that hard either. When I finished the game I really couldn't believe that that was it all - that that was the end if the game! Such a shame. 3 discs and about 1/4 the length of Fallout. Not good enough Expand
  97. Oct 20, 2011
    Read my full review @ http://majamaki.com/2011/10/rage/. Rage is a fantastic game when you focus on the heart of the game which is the first person shooting. To me the racing part could have been dropped, and just add more quests to kill mutants and bad guys. The gun play is tight, fast, and frantic with a good amount of variety in enemies to keep you on your toes.
  98. Oct 21, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Rage was a huge disappointment for me. After waiting nearly 2 years after I heard about it I got a gorgeous looking game with a short campaign, horrible multiplayer and not enough content to re-play.

The graphics are really nice. The environment and models are well done. It runs at a good frame rate and I never noticed it lagging. The outside sky is beautiful environmental lighting is good. Didn't notice many particle effects or flare but the surrounding environments made up for that. Character model were good. but in light of L.A. Noir I expected more from a game that is 3 discs (on XBOX).

Sound is was solid. Nothing to knock your socks off but the weapons had distinctive sounds. Character voices for teh most part were well done. All major characters were believable and well acted. Minor characters and NPC didn't have much to say that was unique. Minor NPCs often repeated their lines and failed to move any story line forward.

SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Speaking of the story line, there wasn't much there. You wake up from hibernation after a asteroid impact has decimated the earth. We have seen this before. There is a new ominous group trying to rule what is left of the world and you fall into the role of savior. As I played I wondered "why should I care?' and I still have questions about who I am, where I came from and why I was awakened. This all leads to a a VERY ANTI-CLIMACTIC final battle that honestly wasn't as tough as some mid-campaign battles. The game abruptly ends with a 15-20 ambiguous cut-scene and then the credits roll. After playing on "Hard" difficulty setting I felt like iD just kicked me in the nuts. I expected a message saying "Thanks for paying $60 to participate in a 10 preview of Rage 2".

The multi-player is vehicle based, no DM, TDM. Awesome idea for a FPS! Overall I just feel disillusioned. I think that iD needs to step back and figure out what made them successful. Hint: It wasn't teh iPad. Maybe John Carmack and crew need a dose of humility and realize that they aren't the gaming gods they thought they were, They days of gamers scooping up half-baked games and content at full price are coming to end. There is too much competition in the FPS genre to be just OK.
  99. Oct 21, 2011
    This is a beautiful game. It looks great and it plays really well. The only thing that I dont like about it is that you have to physically have to save the game, no auto save
  100. Oct 22, 2011
    Post apocalyptic is an enviroment Bethesda knows well. The game contains some interesting elements such as road races, cult weapons, nice dark tribes, all bundled with impressive graphics and sound. However the game falls short when compared to other Bethesda titles such as Fallout. The story is very linear, the enemies keep coming until you run out of ammo, and the biggest disapoinment ofPost apocalyptic is an enviroment Bethesda knows well. The game contains some interesting elements such as road races, cult weapons, nice dark tribes, all bundled with impressive graphics and sound. However the game falls short when compared to other Bethesda titles such as Fallout. The story is very linear, the enemies keep coming until you run out of ammo, and the biggest disapoinment of all is that one would expect the big boss at the end or at least a challenging opponent.

I am disapointed because it had all it takes to make a best seller, yet its not.

1. Nov 16, 2011
    Shooter fans will like RAGE, but it's lack of story or really innovative elements won't attract new players that didn't love other id games. I hoped for more, guys.
  2. Nov 15, 2011
    As a fun and frenetic FPS, Rage delivers in spades. That the same can't be said for the game's story is a real shame. It's especially disappointing as Rage feels like it's building to a strong crescendo, before fizzling out like a damp firework. Rage veers incredibly close to greatness then, but ultimately fails to win itself a cigar.
  3. Nov 13, 2011
    While its other elements hep create atmosphere, they aren't as polished as its peerless gunplay. [Issue#77, p.82]