6.6

1. Oct 4, 2011
    I honestly don't understand the negative reviews that this game is getting. I've been playing it a great deal since getting my hands on it and for the first time since I can remember that I've invested in a new IP and ended up with exactly what I was expecting. Rage delivers on almost every level.

I don't need to get into Rage's graphics or presentation; one look at the game speaks for itself in case you haven't heard id's ongoing rambling about it being one of the best looking games available. id Tech 5 shows off enough power here to impress any reasonable person. That being said, I'm playing Rage on the PS3 (that installation time was a **** and the only graphical flaws are minor but similar to those I've seen in Killzone 3 and Crysis 2. I considered getting this game for the 360 but I was turned off by the need for having to install three discs. I have the 250-GB slim model, but as someone who once had the old (and very limited) 20-GB 360, I feel the pain of those who won't have the hard drive space to install all three at once.

Audio design is just as well done in every aspect one would expect, but I'll leave it up to you to discover how great it is rather than going into detail here.

My only legitimate complaint thus far is that the checkpoint system in Rage is basically non-existent. You'll receive auto-saves at the beginning of and just after missions, but that's it. Traveling through one of the game's lengthy city stages and being sent back to outside the city walls upon death was frustrating enough for me to put the game down for a while. I've experienced this type of setback a few times already. This is solved simply enough by saving the game whenever it comes to mind, but I'm generally more focused on trying to immerse myself in the world and the action around me to worry about a feature that's standard in most games nowadays.

Also, it's worthy of a small note that this is not Shakespeare. Rage has a plot, and as some of it's elements aren't exactly new and exciting, (we've all walked out of a vault, scrounged to stay alive, and spent many hours in futuristic wastelands), the player shouldn't expect a groundbreaking narrative from id Software. I was let down by this, as I hoped Rage would be a rift in the trend of shooters with poor stories. It's not a bad plot, it's just kind of there to get you from A to B.

Other than my minor gripes, Rage is everything I wanted.

Enemies are just as brutal and resourceful as we've heard, as Rage features some of the best enemy AI I've ever seen. Mutant thugs dodge your reticule when you go ADS, downed foes crawl to cover as they bleed out, etc. I've already been forced to do some encounters twice (see ****y paragraph above) and can confidently say that other than perhaps boss battles, no two encounters in Rage will ever be the same.

The arsenal available to the player is also impressive, if not comprised of elements that have been done before. Four weapons can be hot-mapped to the right trigger/R2 menu, with additional weapons available in the game's in-depth and useful Inventory system. Two assault rifles, two shotguns, a pistol, a sniper rifle, a rocket launcher, and yes, a crossbow, are among the main tools that deal out very convincing damage to opponents. Each weapon has various firing modes and ammunition types. Coupled with Rage's stellar opponents, mixing weapons, ammo types, and equipment is what makes the combat fun. It's very much the player's game, and it generally rewards creativity with success in combat.

Driving across the wasteland has been surprisingly fun and deep to this point. It easily outdoes the fragile and clunky controls of the go-karts in Borderlands. Vehicles are waiting to be unlocked, their weapons upgraded, their bodies painted, and bonus powers are available to turn the odds on the bandits who always outnumber the player.
    id obviously has a lot of faith in their vision for Rage's vehicular combat. Races and unlocking new vehicles are key components of progressing in the campaign. Also, traditional FPS multiplayer components have been scrapped and replaced by Twisted Metal-like car combat. It's not a venue of endless entertainment, but it is a fun break from traditional shooters and is much deeper than most will be expecting.

I firmly believe that reviews have been unfair to Rage. This is, in my opinion, a perfect example of a game that is fun despite some abstract number some critic picked out. The presentation is gorgeous, the gameplay is tight but expansive fun, and this game does just enough right to warrant a return to the all-too-familiar apocalypse setting.

Rage isn't a masterpiece; it's a vision.
  2. Oct 5, 2011
    I wasn't going to get this game, but after some careful thought and watching many trailers and game play videos, I decided to go out and give it a shot. I do not regret it one bit. This game is amazing. The graphics, sound, setting, ai, animations, mechanics, everything looks, and feels so good. Any fan of post-apocalyptic games needs to give this game a try. Any fan of shooters will notI wasn't going to get this game, but after some careful thought and watching many trailers and game play videos, I decided to go out and give it a shot. I do not regret it one bit. This game is amazing. The graphics, sound, setting, ai, animations, mechanics, everything looks, and feels so good. Any fan of post-apocalyptic games needs to give this game a try. Any fan of shooters will not be disappointed, the enemies are always behaving in different ways, allowing you to utilise your entire arsenal in many different ways. The driving is a welcome addition and I found it a very enjoyable way to get to your quests. I've heard a lot of bad things (from critics and gamers alike), mainly in regards to story, but with a solid set of mechanics and awesome location and graphics, a less than awesome story is fine with me (I've only played 3 hours, so I am unable to give my own comments on the story). This game is definitely worth the money and you will not regret your purchase! Expand
  3. Oct 4, 2011
    Beautiful graphics.. Sharp Sounds. States of Art.
    RAGE is great mixture of Quake II and Bioshock. first 30 min, maybe boring. but when you reach some 'So Many thing to kill zone'... you'll never gonna miss the truth. you're playing idsoftware's game. Full of blood on screen, Shotguns running out of ammo, Explosion... and the new head popper. wingstick
    Maybe some COD kids will HATE this
    Beautiful graphics.. Sharp Sounds. States of Art.
    Maybe some COD kids will HATE this game(lack of cutscene and too much blood and gore) but i believe many of people will like this and love it. Oh you think Storyline is bad ? you should go play some torment over and over again. this is a shooter game. everyone knows.
  4. Oct 4, 2011
    This is a really fun shooter. It's not anything ground breaking but it does deliver in a solid shooter with interesting mechanics that add up to a great playing experience. The game is easily one of the best looking and running games on the xbox 360 with nearly running around 60 frames per second the whole experience. Controls are the same as COD and feels a lot like COD while playing inThis is a really fun shooter. It's not anything ground breaking but it does deliver in a solid shooter with interesting mechanics that add up to a great playing experience. The game is easily one of the best looking and running games on the xbox 360 with nearly running around 60 frames per second the whole experience. Controls are the same as COD and feels a lot like COD while playing in an open world. The story is lacking and you could care less about most of the characters in the game but it's a very fun game. While this game isnt perfect the game play is a solid fun experience thats sure to be entertaining and stands above the average shooter. Expand
  5. Oct 4, 2011
    Rage is a spectacle and it's everything I hoped it would be. Rage combines shooting and rpg elements to truly create an amazing experience. Rage is definitely the best looking title on consoles to date and if you have a pc that can run it your in for a treat. Rage isn't all about graphics though, ID has taken care to create an immersive story. The characters in rage are animatedRage is a spectacle and it's everything I hoped it would be. Rage combines shooting and rpg elements to truly create an amazing experience. Rage is definitely the best looking title on consoles to date and if you have a pc that can run it your in for a treat. Rage isn't all about graphics though, ID has taken care to create an immersive story. The characters in rage are animated perfectly and there are lots of characters that will stand out in your mind long after you finish the game. The atmosphere is simply stunning in rage, from the wastelands to the ruined cities. At it's heart rage is a shooter but, it also does a lot more than most recent first person shooters have done. Anyone who enjoys exploring, shooters, rpg games, and story driven games should really give rage a go. Expand
  6. Aug 29, 2012
    The graphical experience and sound experience (with headphones) is well worth a rental if not purchase. Runs at a constant 60 FPS never once slowing down or stuttering. Managed to skim through the "Nightmare" difficulty setting without much problems. Starts out a bit slow but once you start battling the mutants you see where the game shines. The physics and enemy interaction are smoothThe graphical experience and sound experience (with headphones) is well worth a rental if not purchase. Runs at a constant 60 FPS never once slowing down or stuttering. Managed to skim through the "Nightmare" difficulty setting without much problems. Starts out a bit slow but once you start battling the mutants you see where the game shines. The physics and enemy interaction are smooth and fluid. Every death is a sight to behold. Once you play the levels "The Well" and "Blue Line Station" you'll want to play them over and over again (at least I did) Just a good experience. Good to take slow and absorb the atomospheres as it seems every inch of the environments is meticulously detailed and never repeats itself. Expand
  7. Sep 2, 2012
    this game is so good!!! most people cant see past the low played, rated or bought game but if you can then 1) you have a brain 2)you will have hours of fun on it the separate coop campaign is always fun to do aswell the multiplayer is great aswell
  8. Oct 3, 2012
    For me, was a very decent rental. Almost one year later bought it a second hand copy and I'm really enjoying this game right now (in part time with Gears 3) ... :-)
  9. Jun 18, 2013
    Éste es un juego que debes obtener si eres un jugador con gusto por los FPS; además, los creadores de este juego son aquellos que te trajeron Doom y Quake: dos grandes joyas en la industria de los videojuegos! Aunque al principio estaba un poco escéptico hacia el juego mismo (en especial por la calificación general que representan los usuarios) me animé a conseguirlo porque ya había vistoÉste es un juego que debes obtener si eres un jugador con gusto por los FPS; además, los creadores de este juego son aquellos que te trajeron Doom y Quake: dos grandes joyas en la industria de los videojuegos! Aunque al principio estaba un poco escéptico hacia el juego mismo (en especial por la calificación general que representan los usuarios) me animé a conseguirlo porque ya había visto que tiene unos gráficos excelentes y varias armas con distintos tipos de munición -la mayoría de ellas. No sé ni como empezar a describir lo genial que el juego lució cuando lo vi en mi TV por primera vez: simplemente asombroso, ya sea porque tiene 60 cuadros por segundo y se ve muy fluido o porque todo en el juego luce de maravilla, ya sabes, con un fuerte toque post-apocalíptico. Y bueno, desafortunadamente concuerdo en el punto negativo que varios usuarios tienen hacia Rage: las texturas son de muy baja resolución. De lejos todo luce detallado pero si te acercas a aquello que luce de maravilla, ves las texturas tan borrosas que no te explicas como es posible que eso sea la base de tu admiración!
    También existe bastante "pop-in" con una frecuencia tal que casi cada vez que volteas en el juego las texturas se reconstruyen. se retexturizan... pero habiendo instalado con anterioridad el juego al disco duro me alegro que este problema ha desaparecido en gran parte. Aún con esos detalles, este juego no deja de ser una obra digna de admiración, con un tipo de juego al estilo Borderlands -donde progresas en el juego obteniendo y completando misiones de los NPCs y tienes, además, un tipo de carro a tu disposición para viajar de lado a lado.
    Una de las características que mas me ha gustado de este juego es la sección que el personaje principal tiene en su menú llamada "ingeniería": aquí es dónde puedes hacer una buena cantidad de diferentes objetos (si tienes los ingredientes necesarios) que te serán de gran ayuda en tu travesía por este mundo devastado -desde medi-kits, pasado por granadas, coches bomba y distintos tipos de munición. Otro punto a favor ha sido el arsenal con el que cuentas progresivamente. Yo simplemente grababa el juego cada vez que sabía iba a obtener una nueva arma (para ver como la obtenía de nueva cuenta); y esto porque cada vez que obtienes una arma, el personaje principal hace como que la revisa y te una vista con detalle de cómo luce tu arma. Todas ellas me han gustado mucho, en especial la escopeta, pues hace un sonido muy fuerte en cada disparo normal.
    Yo simplemente te digo que si te consideras un jugador con ya bastante experiencia en este tipo de juegos de disparos de primera persona, consigas ya este juego. Ya por estas fechas no está caro y te ofrece un reto con gráficas fluidas que no creo te lleguen a decepcionar y enemigos con una inteligencia de alta calidad: de hecho aquí reside casi todo el reto, el saber apuntar bien tus armas contra enemigos escurridizos y muchas veces letales. Consíguelo, y recuerda a ID desarrollador de este juego- y sus juegos insignia: verás a RAGE como un verdadero tributo a la pasión por el género FPS que ellos inventaron.
  10. Oct 8, 2011
    Best graphics ever! I don't know who is giving this game 80s but I don't think they are playing the same game I am. Of course it's going to be blurry if you zoom on an object. All games do that.
  11. Oct 9, 2011
    Played this game for 8 hours and I'm really enjoying. Don't listen to screen tears as that is only on PC, on Xbox 360 this game plays amazingly, uninspired Multiplayer could do with some TDM or CTF but overall a very good game
  12. Oct 5, 2011
    I can't believe some people giving this game a zero.Take it from a hardcore gamer this game is the real deadly the gunplay is tight the shiniest move so realistically the graphics are unbelievable at 60fps.the only thing its lacking is a story such doesn't matter cuz you'll just want to shoot stuff.It wont make goty with all the great games coming out but this game should not be missed.forI can't believe some people giving this game a zero.Take it from a hardcore gamer this game is the real deadly the gunplay is tight the shiniest move so realistically the graphics are unbelievable at 60fps.the only thing its lacking is a story such doesn't matter cuz you'll just want to shoot stuff.It wont make goty with all the great games coming out but this game should not be missed.for the record im playing on the 360. Expand
  13. Oct 6, 2011
    Rage is one of the BEST FPS in 2011 definitely, although it has some texture in PC, but now it has some workaround that solve over 90% problem. the texture is low resolution when look closely, but during normal gaming time, the visual is really AWESOME, every place is unique, not other games have many repeat environment.
    Rage wasteland is one of the best art in all FPS till now. the mixed
    Rage wasteland is one of the best art in all FPS till now. the mixed setting between hardcore FPS and RPG is very good. Play feel like hardcore FPS, but has some RPG element, the RPG elements don't infuluence the shooting feeling, this game is still a fast moving & shooting FPS, I think Rage is a awesome for hardcore & old-school FPS gamer. The fallen of Duke Nukem Forever make me feel maybe this type FPS could be vanished, but the coming of Rage make me feel so happy, I bought rage during steam QuakeCon sale with DOOM & Quake pack, I feel this is a very worthy deal.
    If you like some different and innovative FPS game, I think Rage is a good choice for you:)
  14. Oct 5, 2011
    One of the best games this year.High quality fallout-like gameplay.Graphics are beautiful,gameplay is addicting.There are many things to do.Shooting mechanics are awesome.
  15. Oct 4, 2011
    Started playing today using my almost 2 year old Alienware M15x laptop and the game dynamically adjusted to my hardware level and still looked fantastic delivering a solid 59 fps. So far so good, didn't get to share the hardware problems that the AMD crowd had at launch but I hear thats all been taken care of. Kudos to ID for getting on the ball.
  16. Oct 4, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Not played yet, but put 10 /10. An absolutely stunning looking game. But more than that, Rage is an excellently crafted and well-polished FPS / RPG. And to be honest, I could try and tell you how certain aspects are similar to other games, but that just wouldn't give Rage its proper respect. Rage is its own beast, and it is a beauty. Expand
  17. Oct 4, 2011
    This game is amazing! I didn't want to like it. All I heard from the directors were, " It isn't an RPG, It isn't an RPG." And the only thing not RPG about it is you don't level up your character directly. You accept quests, level up your armor, level up your guns, level up your equipment ( which may be the best and funnest equipment of any game yet) You usually decide what you do andThis game is amazing! I didn't want to like it. All I heard from the directors were, " It isn't an RPG, It isn't an RPG." And the only thing not RPG about it is you don't level up your character directly. You accept quests, level up your armor, level up your guns, level up your equipment ( which may be the best and funnest equipment of any game yet) You usually decide what you do and don't want to quest, and it also has an amazing racing game built into the "not RPG" shooter. If this had the role playing label on the box, I wouldn't disagree. The graphics are over saturated, but still impossible not to marvel over. Like the Red Real movies over Blue Ray, this game is insanely beautiful. The gunplay is tight and responsive, and the wingstick may be the best thing to happen to an FPS since iron sights. Every button is where it should be on the default setting. The AI is unique, smart, and responsive, especially on the higher difficulties. The enemy actually frightened me by sneaking up on me a couple times in the opening "tutorial" levels. As much as I didn't want to like this game, it is a gem. If you like awesome graphics, compelling sound, tight gameplay, shooters, RPGs, Racers, than this game is for you. If you like Mario Cart or Madden, look elsewhere. Thank you Id, for being badass again. I can only hope more devs use Id Tech for their games before we have to buy a new system. The current gen is finally coming into its own, and Rage is that definitive proof. Expand
  18. Oct 5, 2011
    I've really been blindsided by all these low reviews for this game, it's pretty fantastic and I honestly can't understand how anyone could connotate it as bad. Great FPS mechanics mixed with a strong RPG base, makes for a fantastic game. Trolls will troll I guess.
  19. Oct 6, 2011
    Make no mistake, this is not an RPG, it's a shooter, plain and simple. It offers some fun game play with some RPG-like elements (quest-like missions, crafting, minor bits of exploration). The driving is reasonably fun and well handled considering the digital controls when using keyboard/mouse. As a shooter it's not bad in the least. It has tight controls, the guns all have a reasonableMake no mistake, this is not an RPG, it's a shooter, plain and simple. It offers some fun game play with some RPG-like elements (quest-like missions, crafting, minor bits of exploration). The driving is reasonably fun and well handled considering the digital controls when using keyboard/mouse. As a shooter it's not bad in the least. It has tight controls, the guns all have a reasonable "weight" to them, and the enemy AI is pretty good at dodging and moving in a manner that offers a reasonable challenge to shooting them. All topped with a good (though perhaps at times a bit cliche) story.

The negatives I've seen tend to be one of two issues: No control over much in the way of graphical options, screen tearing, and texture pop-in. Or people who simply don't enjoy the game play mechanics. These are reasonable issues though the first couple issues come with some caveats. Id Tech 5 engine was designed to be auto-tuning to performance. If you're pulling maximum frame rate it'll load larger textures, use better shaders, etc. But I can totally see where people might want to keep control over these things and sometimes sacrifice a bit of performance for better visuals, or vice-versa. Screen tearing is pretty easily resolved by forcing triple buffering and v-synch in the drivers. Despite the lack of video options and control, the game looks terrific on a GeForce 570 and runs smoothly. The shooting is fun, controls work as expected, and the story is engaging. The downside to the graphics is that most of the objects in the environment are static, no bumping into chairs and knocking them over for example. Even small things that you could easily kick are immovable. That aside, the game's great, well worth the purchase for any shooter fan.
  20. Oct 8, 2011
    the sisko is a dicck, tryin to be controvesial doesnt make you clever. also probably a pc player that hates consoles and this game has been in the works for years so chasing the buck is hardly a relative comment.
  21. Oct 9, 2011
    Yes, Rage does feel a lot like the love child of Borderlands and Bioshock but is that really such a bad thing? Rage combines these two great games and takes them to the next level with some great AI and extremely satisfying gunfights.

As for the texture loading, it's no way near as bad as that of GTA IV, a game where nobody whined about texture loading, and really isn't that noticable (I'm playing this from the DVD's and not a HD install).
  22. Oct 10, 2011
    Simply awesome. Cant believe some of the bad reviews. ID have returned on top form. Finally a video game world that you can believe - no repeat assets etc. Sure it struggles a bit in places on the 360 but graphics tech has moved on a fair bit. We need the new 360 asap
  23. Oct 9, 2011
    Posiblemente será el mejor shooter del año en modo campaña, por novedoso y creativo, con esto lo digo todo. Me aburren ya todos aquellos juegos que triunfan en el mercado simplemente por el mutijugador.
  24. Oct 10, 2011
    This game is so much fun to play. It has driving in it, rpg elments, and it's a fps. It combines all of these things perfectly and gives everyones a great experience. The only bad part about this game is that it's only 8 hours long(main missions only). And the story isn't that good.
  25. Oct 10, 2011
    A great game that is worth your time. I am genuinely surprised by all the bad user reviews (PC issues aside). First, the graphics and the art style are amazing -- it's like playing in a comic book. The environments are gorgeous and detailed, and there are lots of nooks and crannies to explore. There's a huge variety of activities to undertake -- gambling, racing, exploring, fighting (ofA great game that is worth your time. I am genuinely surprised by all the bad user reviews (PC issues aside). First, the graphics and the art style are amazing -- it's like playing in a comic book. The environments are gorgeous and detailed, and there are lots of nooks and crannies to explore. There's a huge variety of activities to undertake -- gambling, racing, exploring, fighting (of course). I'm particularly addicted to finding cards for the Magic-esquse collectible card game. The story is interesting and filled with memorable characters. The animations are a joy to watch. From the mutants that leap from walls and hang from door frames to the friendly NPCs you'll meet along the way. Enemy AI is good and provides a challenge. Melee enemies will dodge in unpredictable ways while ranged enemies will often fall back to regroup. The Open world provides enough freedom to give you a choice of things to do, while not being pointlessly large and empty just for the sake of being expansive (if you notice, in most "open world" games, you never even bother with 50% of the terrain except for traveling through it to your next 2 minute long "mission".

Personally, as a long-time gamer whose first shooter was Doom, I loved some of the subtle conventions in this game. Your character doesn't talk, you can carry as many weapons and other junk as you want without annoying inventory management, and enemies take more than a few hits to bring down. Your mileage may vary. of course.

And I didn't even touch on the multiplayer, yet. The racing is a fun diversion and the co-op shooting levels are challenging and fun. There seems to be so much content in the main game that it's an unnecessary addition, but it provides added value.

Rage is essentially an old-school shooter with some roleplaying elements (no pointless leveling, etc., though) and an open world hub area containing lots of different diversions. Think Bioshock + Borderlands + Fallout 3. If that appeals to you, pick it up!
  26. Feb 1, 2013
    Maybe it's because I knew exactly what to expect when going into this game, but Rage stands as one of the best FPS games that I've had the pleasure to play. Id proved that they weren't just messing around with the new IdTech 5 while making this game. The game is pretty. Which is kind of an odd thing to say about a game set in a post-apocalyptic wasteland. It is highly advised to installMaybe it's because I knew exactly what to expect when going into this game, but Rage stands as one of the best FPS games that I've had the pleasure to play. Id proved that they weren't just messing around with the new IdTech 5 while making this game. The game is pretty. Which is kind of an odd thing to say about a game set in a post-apocalyptic wasteland. It is highly advised to install this game onto your hard drive before playing. Be warned, installing this game takes up about 22 Gigs worth of space, so you may need to make some room. At first glance, many would immediately compare this game to that of Fallout or Borderlands, which is just foolish. Unlike the aforementioned games, Rage has virtually no RPG elements and instead opts for pure action. As a shooter, this game handles nicely. The controls are smooth, the gunplay feels great, and enemies even react properly to being shot at. You shoot at a charging bandit, he'll reel back from the impact of the bullet and may even stumble and fall face first into the ground, depending on where you hit him. The enemy AI is also notable in that the enemies are actually pretty intelligent (save for the appropriately mindless mutants) and can use some rather clever tactics on occasion. Authority soldiers would stack up behind the guy with the energy shield, bandits are smart enough to kick over your turrets whenever they get the chance, and they all know how to take cover effectively. Being an Id game, you get to carry a large arsenal with you at all times. Some of these guns can become rather useless, depending on your playstyle, but each one feels and sounds like it has some weight to it when fired, which is nice. To add some variety, the game features a variety of ammo types ranging from miniature rockets fired out of shotguns to crossbow bolts that can allow you to control an enemy until he inevitably explodes. The enemies are also quite varied, the mutants are animalistic and would forgo any strategy and simply bumrush you, Authority soldiers use military tactics and higher-end weaponry, and each bandit clan has a certain specialty in combat, such as agility, tech, explosives, or just being hard to kill. A rather new gameplay mechanic for an Id game is the driving portions of the game. The driving is done very similarly in a combat racing style. In fact, there are even combat racing side-missions to upgrade your cars. Since you will be driving around the wasteland a lot, it's a good thing that the controls work rather well and that the vehicle combat can be both fast paced and fun. The story itself is rather forgettable. Nothing surprising to Id veterans, but others may want more. However, the single player campaign itself can be rather long if the player decides to go out and do every sidequest and race available to them. My only real complaint about this game is the ending, which isn't bad so much as non-existent. Uncharacteristically for an Id game, there's no final boss fight and the game practically ends with you pushing a button after you finish mowing down enemies with the game's designated BFG, which is given to you at the beginning of the mission. Depending on the difficulty and how much you set out to do, you could probably finish the game in about 15-30 hours. That said, there's even a multiplayer disc that comes with a set of co-op missions and competitive combat racing. So, even after finishing the main game, there's still plenty to do. For the current price, this game is at VERY good value, and could be found at prices ranging from $10-$20. If you like FPS games, I'd highly recommend for you to go out and buy this game. Expand
  27. Oct 7, 2011
    Rage is a wonderful game, provided the experience is different from most FPS's you see out there. The races are an incredible part of the game that makes the experience in playing it is even more incredible. The setting is one thing that deserves congratulations, because although the story does not ponro be the stronger of the game, not even wanting, soaking in the world of Rage is wonderful.
  28. Oct 11, 2011
    Awesome. Don't pay any attention to the 12 year old reviewers. Before playing the game you need to re-adjust your expectations. This is not Fallout 3. The closest game I've played to this is Bioshock, but bigger!. There, expectations reconfigured, we can now enjoy what is an excellently polished, gorgeous example of what a modern shooter can be. The mechanics are quick and easy to useAwesome. Don't pay any attention to the 12 year old reviewers. Before playing the game you need to re-adjust your expectations. This is not Fallout 3. The closest game I've played to this is Bioshock, but bigger!. There, expectations reconfigured, we can now enjoy what is an excellently polished, gorgeous example of what a modern shooter can be. The mechanics are quick and easy to use putting you in control of fire-fights and rewarding you for finding new tactics and ways of killing. My only negative is a slightly confused pace. The missions can sometimes feel a bit sparse, with enemy's coming slow and unsteady; making me wish it was a bit more full on a frantic at times. The vehicular parts are fantastic, if a little basic, people expecting anything other than an arcade shooter will be disappointed. It's meant to be a speed freak, sight seeing jolly. There are lots of little nods to previous Id games that won't make sense if your 12 cos they happened before you were born! To be honest, although it has many hours of gameplay, I can't see much replay value... but I like it, it's the best game this year. Buy it. Expand
  29. Oct 8, 2011
    Rage breaks no new real ground as its just another FPS. It has very little rpg elements. the story is meh...actually its go here do this come back when your done. which seems like it would get monotonous over time but the blend of driving and gun battles makes the game a joy to play. story isn't everything. as long as what your doing is fun and ID software was able to pull the fun factorRage breaks no new real ground as its just another FPS. It has very little rpg elements. the story is meh...actually its go here do this come back when your done. which seems like it would get monotonous over time but the blend of driving and gun battles makes the game a joy to play. story isn't everything. as long as what your doing is fun and ID software was able to pull the fun factor off and do it, with gorgeous graphics and awesome sound. this is hands down one of the best looking games on the 360 Expand
  30. Oct 6, 2011
    Awesome game! Good graphics, good sound, good racing, good AI, impressive arsenal, amazing shooting! Thanks id. Go Doom 4 and Rage 2 :) Haters gonna hate.

1. Nov 16, 2011
    Shooter fans will like RAGE, but it's lack of story or really innovative elements won't attract new players that didn't love other id games. I hoped for more, guys.
  2. Nov 15, 2011
    As a fun and frenetic FPS, Rage delivers in spades. That the same can't be said for the game's story is a real shame. It's especially disappointing as Rage feels like it's building to a strong crescendo, before fizzling out like a damp firework. Rage veers incredibly close to greatness then, but ultimately fails to win itself a cigar.
  3. Nov 13, 2011
    While its other elements hep create atmosphere, they aren't as polished as its peerless gunplay. [Issue#77, p.82]