7.4

1. Jan 20, 2012
    Amazing game, the best Resident Evil ever, the best action game, horror game, the final is amazing with Wesker, I love Jill and Chris again, the so emotional scene. I really hope that RE6 be better and GOTY 2012.
  2. Mar 26, 2011
    Zombies with guns. This should be all I have to say to prove what a joke this game is. For more reasons, please, continue. Resident Evil 5 takes the brilliant design from Resident Evil 4, an amazing game, and completely f***s it up. The biggest offenders are the following. The story is incredibly short. The AI is some of the worst, ever. Sheva apparently can't use any weapon but her handgun, regardless of what gun you give her (this include grenades). She also can't aim for the head, so she'll chew through ammo blasting away at people's chests. And if you try to use her like a pack mule, she'll waste all of your healing items for the smallest of injuries. The inventory system is also a load of crap. Trading items with a partner is needlessly difficult and for some reason you can only quick switch to items in the cardinal directions. So if you picked up something useful, and it's in the top right slot, you need to stop, move to it, equip it, leave the menu, all while there are zombies coming at you. Forget it if you want to combine herbs. Capcom also pulls a little DLC trick. The online versus mode and Mercenaries Reunion characters were originally supposed to be in the game, but Capcom decided to put that and both DLC chapters in the later released Gold Edition in an attempt to weasel as much money as they can out of their loyal customers. Shame on you, Capcom, for soiling the legacy of Leon S. Kennedy. Expand
  3. Feb 24, 2012
    Resident Evil 5 is without a doubt one of the best games this gen! The mix between Horror and Action is spot on in this game.. The story is AMAZING! the gameplay mechanics are greatly improved over older RE games, and the replay value is really HIGH! especially the GOLD version (complete edition) which has all the extras (new modes,DLCs). All in all Resident Evil 5 is an AMAZING! game.. You MUST own it if you like action/Horror games Expand
  4. Nov 19, 2012
    Awful Game, Awful mechcanics, awful inventory, awful characters, awful story, AWFUL EVERYTHING! game is too hard and makes me want to rage. Capcom should re-invent the franchise, this game is an over-hyped piece of crap! don't buy this game!
  5. Sep 29, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Resident Evil 5 will capture your hearts as it leads off from the previous chapter Resident Evil 4. Basically, Capcom took everything that was good in Resident Evil 4 and took Resident Evil 5 to the next level. Besides the improved Inventory system and introduction into the new "Co-op" in the Resident Evil Series, the boost in graphics and sound will definitely make the hairs on the back of your neck rise as it delivers the ultimate experience while playing Resident Evil 5. To get started on the basic plot of Resident Evil 5. Resident Evil 5 starts 6 years after the destruction of Umbrella and your still playing as Chris Redfield but this time he has become an agent of BSAA to help fight biological terrorism. To top it off, you even have a new partner "Sheva Alomar". Your probably wondering where Chris Redfield old partner, Jill Valentine is? You will have to find out yourself when you start playing the game.

As you and your new partner (Sheva) continue to fight the ongoing infection that has infected the people of Kijuju. This time, they aren't just zombies and it wasn't an accident. A power-hungry corporation modified and created a new virus that controls the mindless host. You will find them more challenging and dangerous than before.

One of the great perks of Resident Evil 5 is the Cooperative play of the game. You can go it alone or invite a friend to play with you through Xbox live. Another thing I find great about Resident Evil 5 is the in between screens. It is almost like watching a movie with a great story line. A downfall, is the shortness in ammo. I find it hard to collect ammo for more powerful weapons, so to keep in mind. Use your bullets carefully.

In conclusion, Resident Evil 5 is definitely worth buying. Definitely worth playing. If you enjoy previous Resident Evil games. You will enjoy Resident Evil 5, but I wouldn't give my hopes up as Resident Evil 5 brings an exciting experience to the table that is different then previous versions. If I were to rate Resident Evil 5, I would definitely rate it 4 out of 5 stars. I look forward to replay Resident Evil a few more times on a more difficult setting to truly test my ability to stay alive!
  6. Apr 15, 2011
    This time, you are the zombie. I am kidding. You are not a zombie; you just move like one. Never has moving about a virtual world felt so cumbersome. For starters, you have to stop to shoot. Even waving a baton requires stopping first. Then there is the interminable quest for items. Before after and sometimes during encounters with zombies you will scour each area for pots and crates to bust open in hopes of finding more ammunition and healing herbs. Are the herbs a pot reference? All these and the "Tomb Raider" style puzzles make for some slow game play. As an example, I spent perhaps 10 minutes running back and forth one short hallway trying to kill one heavily armored mutated zombie. Replay value is minimal. You can keep all your weapons from the prior play through, which makes the second time around so much EASIER, but after an hour of that I came to my senses. Why would I want to go through all those repetitive puzzles one more time? I would not. For the record, being apple to move while shooting would make this game more fun. Expand
  7. Oct 22, 2010
    Polished to hell. I found the story weak and the game simply isn't as fun to play as the others before it. Still, there's enough here to love (loads of weapons, Mercs mode, co-op, Jill's ass...) and I still play it a year on. Must mean something.
  8. Nov 2, 2010
    I am sad to say Resident Evil may be losing it's touch but in all honesty I must say it and state why.. Resident Evil is a big name in gaming. Capcoms biggest series has or may be soon losing it's touch and grace with gamers. Resident Evil 4 redefined the game and made it stay relevant. Then many other copied it and they way it was played was dull again. The game is uninspired with a story that can make sense but refuses too in a way that makes you want earn that magnum infinite ammo just to get the game done faster. Chris Redfield has been taking steroids since Code Veronica and is showing it. The weapons are fairly decent. The game play is fun for quite a long time and the graphics are top notch quality. Good game for action fans, bad game for RE fan boys/girls. Expand
  9. Jan 20, 2011
    Even though I am playing this game over a year after release, Had I played it on release i would have walked away with the same feelings I have today, RE5 just feels dated. It is fun on coop (clearly not developed with single player in mind), has very nice visuals, mediocre story, offers enough challenge to be satsifying and is not a bad game by any means, but it really doesn't stand out from the pack. I am not even cmparing this game to RE4, I have never played RE4, but the formula from that game has been used many times over and expanded upon in much better games than RE5. Get it cheap, play it through with a friend, but don't expect to be blown away. Don't expect any horror either, this game is more like a Mad Max action flick than Zombie survival horror. Expand
  10. Dec 22, 2010
    I've always been a big fan of the Resi series so it's goes without saying that I bought this game out of brand appeal...at first.

The plot is the usual Resi affair in that you are a previously established character who finds themself in the middle of a zombie panic and must survive long enough to escape and discover the truth behind what happened and usually blowing up one or more labs
    along the way (that's not a spoiler, it's just what happens in EVERY RESIDENT EVIL GAME EVER MADE!). The main differences here are that you are part of an international anti-bioterrorism agency (rather than the local police's S.W.A.T team), Chris has apparantly become a religious fan of the film 'Pumping Iron' and is now accompanied by a token black chick...I mean 'partner from within the agency'.

While on the topic of Sheva, her AI is...'compotent', not great but not 'Dead rising' either. It's that awkward middle space where she can act well enough on her own but there are times where she should just know better ('no Sheva, you do not need to use a first aid spray on me every time I get a splinter'). Most of the time I only found use for her as a pack mule and meat shield (the exception to this being if there is another player present, in which case she is as good as the person controlling her).

She's not even characterised that well, I would have forgiven her next to pointlessness if she hadn't been as likeable as a bottle of gone off, sludgey milk. She feels like she's been shoehorned in, namely because she has little, if anything, to do with the plot of the game (besides an equally cheesey story about how her parents were killed...BY UMBRELLA! Dun dun dun!). Her only excuse for being there is seemingly a) so they could have co-op play (Outbreak had co-op but every character had a legitimate excuse for being in the game, even the token black guys and women) and b) so they didn't get accused of being racist (and Resi 5 isn't even racist anyway, are we seriously trying to suggest that the reason Chris goes to Africa and kills lots of zombies is simply because he just doesn't like black people?).

The gameplay is almost directly copy-paste from Resi 4 (which was a good game) and while some may complain that the inventory system sucks, it does help speed the game up (especially when it comes to co-op) and gets rid of that annoying need to rearrange everything every time you want to buy a new gun. Most the new guns look and feel a little 'meh', granted, now every weapon (more or less) can be obtained for free but a lot of them have little that makes them special or they're just direct copies from Resi 4 (except slightly more 'military' looking) and now there are no exclusive upgrades (no more badass long range shotgun or pistol that pierces through five guys at once,this saddens me greatly).

There are plenty of unlockables (but obtaining the money to buy them is a huge time sink) and the ability to choose levels does help add to replay value by allowing you to pick your favourite areas or help friends in areas where they are stuck (or get items and collectables that you missed).

Overall, Resi 5 is good if you're a fan of the series and you have a friend to play with, non-fansmay find themselves in over their heads and without a co-op partner you'll find yourself occasionally cursing the AI for it's moments of sheer stupidity.
  11. Dec 21, 2010
    Resident Evil, is a fun game, but it's just not that scary. The game play and campaign overall is very fun and entertaining, but it's not that SCARY! But i had a fun time unlocking all the weapons without glitching, but Resident Evil 5 is just not that scary! Overall, it is a fun game that will keep you entertained for a long while, but It's just not that scary! Thank you.
  12. Feb 17, 2012
    The biggest problem that RE5 has is its general lack of imagination and blandness. These traits could also be applied to its story which doesn't really engage or involve the player. The AI is flawed so playing with another person is essential. The inventory system can be a pain and swapping items with your partner is harder than it should be. On the positive side, the game looks amazing and mercenaries mode gives it plenty of replay value. Expand
  13. Mar 16, 2011
    Resident Lost,thats how this game feels its not scary,jumpy,creepy in any way.Time for a rethink,although mercenaries is good though.I had high hopes for this installment and while there are some cool and fun moments its feels very bleh,shame really.
  14. Aug 18, 2011
    Was nice, had nice action and overall is just not creepy. RE5 failed to deliver creepy awesome moments compared to the successful predecessor , to long years since the announcement and failed in this side. Even with that annoying failure, Is very good . The graphics looks nice enough, the gameplay is solid, the co op was cool and the story is just what I don't care. Buy it if you're a hardcore RE fan, If you haven't played ever the series, obligatory play It. Expand
  15. Jul 20, 2011
    Zombies with guns, really? I meen i get they arnt really zombies anymore but guns? Really? Well to sart this off Its prob one of the worst RES games to date i never really like chris even in the earlier games and i still dont but how could they make a skinny guy into a bulking body builder idk. Sheva isnt a very likable eather. The levals can be fun and the boss fights are fun and challenging but theres just something about it and in my oppinion Resident evils 4 is a better game i meen Leon is much more likeable than chris and many people would agree with me. To close my review this was an average game. Expand
  16. Jul 21, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Lavish graphics? No doubt! New characters and enemies? Yes. Good Game? Not really. It was the first Resident Evil I played and I have to say, while I had fun tearing through the zombies, I felt the game was too easy, especially having only played the series for the first time. The worst thing was the amount of ammo. Soon after discovering the other Resident' evils, I learned that conservation was the key. Re5 was like playing Call of Duty. What was particularly bizarre, was the fact that some of the Zombies had guns. The melee weapons not so as much, because zombies(sorry for being Politically incorrect) have could easily pick up weapons and swing. Now there are lickers, the only creatures that actually fit the bill of Resident Evil. We also have Jill Valentine, Wesker and Chris Redfield. Now the buddy system is alright, providing you are a new-gamer, with no sense of skill, and enjoys the overkill of COD. Makes for good multi -player, but since when was Re a multiplayer game. It was always about surviving on your own. Expand
  17. Jan 31, 2013
    The first thing to say about Resident Evil 5 is that its not really a Resident Evil game. The series trademarks of dark, narrow environments and limited amounts of ammo are gone and this time around you even have a co-op partner in tow throughout the entire game further removing any sense of tension or fear. Played without another human controlling said partner it is very difficult to recommend Resident Evil 5 to anyone thanks on large part to the complete incompetence of the AI to assist you at any point. With a human partner the game makes for a passable co-op experience despite the games clunky controls and poor pacing. Expand
  18. Jun 12, 2011
    They vastly improved the graphics, they amped up the action, they have a great story, but sadly they forgot to put in the horror. This game is an action game with parasite-possessed folk (just like in RE4) with a new mystery behind it all. The plot isn't truly that intriguing, but the gameplay is loads of fun and it has a really well worked out online play. The brutality is taken down from previous Resident Evil games - and whenever you blow off a Uroboros head you see four parasitic tentacles open out of the neck (or you see a gigantic parasitic monster come out, and the fight goes on). Having Sheva around - when playing single player - can be as annoying as having Ashley following you around because she's always dying on you and she's the only thing that makes the professional modes hard. This game is extremely easy, and though Sheva is there to help, she's the only thing making it difficult (unless you play with somebody online). So basically you can play with online friends on both the storymode and on mercenaries - and Mercenaries mode has been improved much more than it was in RE4 and has a vaster amount of playable characters. One complaint of mine on character design is that they made the monsters very comic-book like in their huge size (though the details are amazing) and they made Wesker's appearance slightly less badass and professional than he as in RE4. Also in RE4 Wesker had stronger abilities in Mercenaries. Really RE4's a better game, but this is still very fun. Expand
  19. Jun 12, 2011
    this is a good game. yes, of all the things that i've said in my other more brutal burns of other things. i think that this game is amazing. and i am a die hard fan of the resident evil saga. and this by far is one of the best, and is up there next to the REmake and res. evil 4. this game revolves around chris Redfield, and a new character named Sheva. this game actually ties the series together and ends it because it involves Chris, and Sheva, and a little help from the familier stars member herself, Jill Valentine.
    it also has the badest, of badasses. Albert Wesker. holy mother of god was i psyched when i first saw him. then when i found out what he had done to Jill. i was pissed. the whole idea that he had brain washed Jill after making it seem that Jill had died after a greatly epic battle with wesker. i hated wesker more than i ever had in my career of playing the RE games. the battles with him were well done, and fun. the cutscenes were epic. the fact that there weren't as many interactive cutscenes as 4, but it was still fun.
    now, i hate the fact that people complain about some of the stupid things like the whole zombies driving, and using guns. its a **** video game. its not suposed to be realistic. idiots.
    and there are complaints about how you can't run and gun. of course you can't! if you've played any RE game, then you know that you don't run and gun. same as every freaking re game. and yes, the controls aren't re4, but you can change them! god! i really don't like the fact that people also complain about sheva. all i have to say to that is this. remember re0? and i'll leave it at that.
  20. Jun 28, 2011
    Graphics are pretty good, the story is cool but the gameplay is not enought fun, zombie with guns, not enought guns, the chekpoint take you out of your bubble and where is the market of resident evil 4, why they changed that?
  21. Oct 18, 2011
    Resident Evil 5 is one of the better games that I have played. RE5 is a good way to jump into the series if you are not interested in other RE games (like me). The story is pretty good as I kept playing, anxious to see what would happen next. I especially like Wesker as he is an amazing character and his abilities grant him a place on my list of favorite villians. The character depth is all very unique and the graphics are great too. The playability is solid but sometimes it seems to cause some problems as it all feels very limited but still very fun to use. The fact that you have a partner makes it all the more fun except it is wierd that your partner will always use the weakest weapon in their inventory when they have stronger ones. Overall RE5 is a great game that I recomend RE fans and other gamers alike play for the amount of fun it gives out. Expand
  22. Nov 9, 2011
    Resident Evil 5 is a good game, but the controls just make it hard to play the game. If the controls were easier, it would have been much, much better.
  23. Feb 24, 2012
  24. Nov 10, 2011
    When a sequel to a previous game comes around, one expects it to improve, expand, and be more fun. Resident Evil 5 refines some aspects from Resident Evil 4, but also takes a few steps backwards. The scale of the game is significantly bigger but less focused, the story is shorter and cliche. There is less freedom, which means the game is strictly more linear and for better or worse more action oriented. The price for being more action oriented in resident evil 5 is a dramatic drop in the horror, pacing, and ambiental aspects found in resident evil 4. You still get some minigames like the mercenaries mode in which you shoot hordes of enemies, and some downloadable side stories, but in the end resident evil 5 fails to surpass resident evil 4. nicer graphics, better dialogue, and a bigger scale in resident evil 5 doesn't makes it a better game. to top it off, the acceptable control scheme used in the previous game, returns untouched and it feels far more dated than last time mostly because the pacing of the game is faster. Expand
  25. Nov 30, 2011
    Just gave a second chance to this game after more than 2 years.
    Loaded my safegame from march 2009, restartet at first chapter, played for a while and well what did i expect, of course it didnt improve in the meantime. Its still just f*cking nothing.

Gameplay wise everything that made past resident evil games enjoyable for me is simply missing in this one. You expect some kind of
    atmosphere? Better play some different game, RE5 is one of the least atmospheric games i came across. There is no tension, no horror, boring story, no motivation, close to no puzzling and the complete game pretty much just a quick rushing through hordes of cannonfodder zombies. Finishing RE4 profi mode just took me close to 20 hours on xbox 360. (RE4 is an O.K. game)
    In comparison RE5... ...here is a hint ive picked up in some RE5 guide:
    "Try to finish the game in under 5 hours when you play it first time so you can get unlimited ammo for the rocket launcher"
  26. Dec 31, 2011
    This is a very good game if you haven`t played RE4. If you do have played RE4 then this is just an OK game. (I would score it 6.7 but there`s no decimal scores on metacritic)

*The good: Great graphics/Smooth gameplay/ *The not so good: Very generic cliche characters/ Not very compelling story (find bad guy-bad guy escapes-find bad guy again-bad guy scapes again....)/ After a while things
    get very repetitive(boring)/ A bit too easy. /No blobby or real-zombie enemies.
    *The worst: It doesn`t feel like a RE game. (It feels more like a Tomb Raider one) This game is not scary at all /Nothing new since RE4.

Overall, this is a good action-3rd person shooter, but that is it. RE5 doesn`t add anything fresh or interesting since RE4. if you want a real scary game get Dead Space
  27. Jan 31, 2012
    A blast to play in co-op. Paying 60$ for this on launch day was worth it. The graphics are stunning on xbox 360, and one of the only ones I find that actually looks good on this system. The controls are a bit awkward, but it's resident evil! What can you do?! This game was meant to be played in co-op, dont judge it based on resident evil 4. The 2 games are incredibly different in my opinion. Resi 5 has absolutely zero tense and scary moments, but that doesn't stop it being fun. A game meant to be played with 2 people, 9/10! Expand
  28. Jan 20, 2012
    Let's be honest here. If you're a fan of RE from it's early days on the Playstation, this installment was a disappointment in several areas.

First, it's beyond me why they didn't allow an option to play the game solo. There's a significant learning curve that accompanies having to cooperate with a computer-controlled ally for the ENTIREITY OF THE GAME. It's forced multi-player for what
    historically has been a single-player game. I don't have xbox live and don't want it for the simple reason that I enjoy playing games ALONE. It'd be one thing if your ally was impeccable, but he/she seems to mostly just waste ammo and get in your way.

Secondly, the game isn't scary. At all. You spend most of your time in sunlit outdoor areas. Where's the horror?

Finally, there's a time in the life of most long-run video game series where things just need to change. Not being able to move and attack at the same time was charming in RE1 & RE2, but it's annoying as all heck in RE5. This is especially the case as RE5 plays more like an action/shooter game than traditional survival horror....so you find yourself wanting to engage in some shootin', stabbing, and blowin' stuff up but no...you're a walking turret. First you must STOP, THEN you may fire :)
  29. Mar 14, 2012
    It is the game with fewer personality of the saga. It copies to RE4 constant, your history is weak and absurd, there is no terror and the worst thing of everything, you cannot advance while you appear.
  30. Mar 20, 2012
    I dont care about what people say resident evil 5 is an awesome game, i know Resident evil 4 was better! But i still think RE5 was a great one of the best this gen, cant wait for Resident Evil 6
  31. Mar 21, 2012
    I've beaten this game so many times. I have every weapon with infinite ammo and im currently ranked 3,000 for fastest time on professional, enough said lol...
  32. Apr 1, 2012
    This game is not very good. It lacks a fluidity that has grown from other tps, and it feels slow and akward to move. You cannot move and shoot and lacks the feel of escaping from hordes of zombies. The story is a typical resident evil, completely over the top and unrealistic story. That doesnt make it bad. Its a story that satisfies the game, but the cut sceens are aggrivating as you put down your controller to watch and then randomly the icon "X to dodge" comes up and then you almost immediately get crushed or shot by something and tie. A lack of innovation in the series makes this game inferior to other zombie games and capcom really needs to move either back to its old ways like in re4, or go for a more modern tps.. it can't lie in the middle like it does for this game... it doesn't work Expand
  33. May 27, 2012
    This game was a huge dissapointment, but I gotta admit it was still very well made. The coop system, the graphics, the inventory system, the revival, some cool new additions. I didnt like the overall design tho for the main quest. wish there was more freedom to explore the world....the mercenaries is what saved this game for me tho. It was just so damn addicting. I poured ours into the mercenaries trying to perfect my score. Expand
  34. Jun 27, 2012
    Want to play a completely watered down and uninspired version of Resident Evil 4? Then Resident Evil 5 is for you. This game is only about half the length of Resident Evil 4, but not for the sake of quality. It becomes boring after the first 2 main sections of the game, throwing cheap gimmicks at you to make the action sections harder, boss battles are a waste of energy and time and they're all just blobs of tentacles. The final boss was one of the most unfun, unfair fights I've ever played in a videogame. They somehow managed to make the story even MORE generic and predictable than previous games. The music is just a bunch of string stabs and I refuse to call that music. Everything about this game reaks of mediocrity, disappointing because RE4 was so good. Expand
  35. Aug 4, 2012
    People need to realize that this game is not meant to be like the older entries, Capcom is trying to take the series into new directions. Just like any band that has a sound that was a hit in the beginning, things get old and they know it's time to take it into another direction. How many times can they create scary moments without going stale? And those of you who complain about not being able to shoot while moving and not being like the older games are contradicting yourselves, Resident evil ALWAYS made you stop before shooting, obviously you either haven't played the earlier games; or your trying to find reasons to **** Expand
  36. Sep 2, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. this game is such a great game fighting through all the wierd zombies and killing all the strange monsters, throwing eggs, shooting barrels, running from chainsaw guys and scream when your ammo is gone! playing in coop is also a great way to kill wesker especially when your going up against him when mutated Expand
  37. Oct 8, 2012
    The only thing that sucks about this game is the AI is retarded and it's pretty difficult to beat with the AI alone. You need two people to beat this game easily.
  38. Oct 14, 2012
    As much as I would love to give this game a 10, the AI's intelligence is really that bad. The graphics, sound, game play, and everything else is solid. The AI is just really bad some times and before anyone says anything about Resident Evil not having this much action, Resident Evil 3 had a little more, it was just the technology of the time. I have played this game from Amateur to Professional and it runs smoothly on all difficulty, couldn't recommend this game more. Expand
  39. Nov 16, 2012
    I wish I had more to sat for why I gave this game a 5, but in short nothing this game did took me in. The controls felt clunky, the characters were shaped ridiculously, and the game just never made me care to continue.
  40. May 27, 2013
    While it lacks horror and there is only 1 puzzle, Resident Evil 5 is a great game with really good levels, a superb story, set in Africa and the return of Chris Redfield is the perfect direction for a 5th Resident Evil game, and collecting treasure and money on the way is great fun. The game is also enjoyable in co-op. As for the content, I hate Mercenaries though, they should've done a survival game where there no time limit or wave limit, but where you have to last as long as you can and more and more zombies come in at a time, and you should be able to take in weapons and ammo from the campaign. As a long time Resident Evil fan, you probably won't like this game. Helpful NOTE: hold B, press UP on the D-pad, highlight attack and let go, and your "partner" won't be such a blind, useless moron. Expand
  41. Mar 26, 2013
    By no means does this game deserve the criticism that it gets. It isn't the best by a long shot but that doesn't make it bad. What really breaks this game for most people is that it has almost completely moved away from it's survival horror roots. But, to be honest, I'm not surprised. I commend Capcom for taking such a bold move with one of its most recognizable franchises. There was never a law that RE was always supposed to be a survival horror franchise. This game is a third person action horror and does a very good job at being just that. The action is fun, the atmosphere is tense when needed to be and the story more or less what you would expect. My only real qualms with the game are big ones. 1) The AI partner, she is unnecessary and gets more in your way than anything else. They shouldn't of bothered including her for the single player campaign. 2) The chapter/section setup doesn't always feel natural when transitioning from one to another and it does break the overall atmosphere. They feel more like levels than section of one game. Overall: RE 5: Is flawed and made some unpopular choices regarding the direction of the series, but I though this game was a sold (but flawed) attempt to do something new. Get rid of the AI partner and I would score this slightly higher. Expand
  42. May 10, 2013
    I gave this game a 6 based on coop with my friend. RE 2 and 3 are my childhood favorite horror games, SO I always have special feelings for this franchise. I found this game is awkward, it was half-horror and half-action and failed at both aspects. I am a little bit of mad at how Ca(sh)com handled and ruined this gold title.
  43. Mar 24, 2013
    this was awesome resident evil the best part was that you can play with a co-op in a split screen that was very great to me and the best 2-players game I've ever played.
  44. Apr 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. RE5 have its awkward moments, but the game play and graphic hold up, a lot of people were disappointed with RE5, but judge for yourself.

Memorable Moments:

Jill in a tight leather suit

Chris looks like he went on steroids since Code Veronica

Chris uppercutting a huge Rock into a lave pit

They is some bad things here that I don't really like much:

1. You have less space to carry things. (9 items for each character)

2. You're friend or partner is un sure of what to do when they are surrounded by the bad guys they pick up ammo, health power ups for you yes but they don't attack the bad guys when surrounded not often enough.
    Mostly the CPU.

3. You can't pause game at all game is ruined by this cause people can attack you still.

4. You can't run and shoot like RE6 boo.

What I like about this game is I recently got it and liked the new weapons on it
    like the 1 handed shotgun which only Chris can hand it 1 hand.

The mercenaries has more stages on it too which will take hours and hours getting SS ranks.

This game should please Resident Evil fans as it's as close as RE4 can be.
  45. Apr 19, 2013
    I have played through this game twice (on easy and then the 3rd difficulty) and I can honestly say that I will play through it again.
    Initially I found the controls awkward, and as one very decent review on here has already pointed out, the inventory system is cumbersome to say the least. however, these are both things that I have gotten used to and now don't feel hindered by in the
    slightest.
    A lot has been said about how the series is losing it's 'horror' element in the more action-oriented RE4 & 5. Personally I found number 4 horrific at times (the Regenerators, even on their own had me mortified more than any other RE enemy), but number 5 just isn't horror. That's not to say that the game should be criticised. What it is is a compulsive, highly playable action shooter with the most gorgeous graphics on the 360, in my opinion.
    The choice of setting is inspired, but I don't think that the variety of environments in Africa has been exploited on this game. The early chapters, wondering through shanty towns seem authentic, but later levels could be set just about anywhere else with lakes and caves. This is a minor criticism however.
    My major problem with this game is it's simplicity, caused by linear level design, self contained and obvious puzzles and the games extremely short length. RE4 took me about 13hours to finish, this took nothing like as long.
    However these flaws are compensated by the games replay value. For all of us achievement freaks, there are alkinds of weapons, treasures etc to be gathered, plus screen filters that can be used to give the game a different look. Gimmicky, yes, but it all adds.
    I loved resident evil 4 for it's gameplay. The worst we could have expected from RE5 really was an inferior clone of 4, which is what we have sadly, but still a supremely enjoyable game while it lasts.
    A lot of people seem to be critical of Sheva's AI in the single player mode. Whilst i can understand some gripes, I can honestly say that for large portions of the game, I forgot that there was any co-operative element to the game. If you're deciding whether or not to buy this game, I wouldn't be put off by the idea of having a computer controlled partner. One or 2 sections may have you tearing your hair out because of her stupidity, but thankfully even on the harder difficulty (I have unlocked but not tried the 4th hardest difficulty by the way) you'll discover you'll only rely on her to keep herself alive and leave her to it.
    The enemies in the game are as usual ridiculous and over the top (and usually always very impressive). Lickers are particularly gruesome.
    Despite the length of time it took for this game to hit the shelves, it is, as i said, remarkably similar in feel to RE4. If you played and enjoyed the awesome Dead Space, this will really keep you entertained. It's not as good, but certainly worth the admission fee.
    Very decent stuff.
  46. Rem
    Jul 11, 2013
    Resident Evil 5 stirs up alot of controversy among fans. It begs the question of where the series is headed. For better or worse, Resident Evil chose the action oriented path. Scares are few and far between, but I didn't mind, I had a blast playing it. Decidedly, the game put co-op as the star of the game. I played with a buddy throughout most of this journey. The customization options in this game is incredibly vast. The graphics are among the best I have seen this year, if not all time. The story is more focused this time around, but still remains to be convoluted at times unless you played previous Resident Evil games. All in all I enjoyed Resident Evil 5 and its co-op as it is well implemented, but I am concerned on the direction of the series. Expand
  47. Apr 27, 2013
    Uno de los mejores juegos del mundo. lo amo .graficas hermosas accion historia mercenarios ampaƱa a pantalla dividida aun lo juego mas que halo 4 y gear of war 3 en fin esta saga es lo mejor
  48. Apr 29, 2013
    It's difficult to discuss this game without mentioning Resident Evil 4, since it borrows so much from that game and manages to do most of it wrong. It could've been a lot worse, and has its exciting stretches of gameplay, especially in the earlier chapters, but on the whole is a disappointment. Obviously the biggest problem is the non-optional co-op, awkwardly implemented with one of the stupidest computer AIs I've ever seen; why they thought that would be a good idea astounds me. Second biggest problem is the inventory system, definitely a downgrade despite trying to be "modern". There is also a general blandness to the feel of the game; after the novelty of the first playthrough, replaying it for too long left me depressed and listless. Expand
  49. May 4, 2013
    Too much like re4 even the first part looks the same where the guy attacks Chris and he says freeze!
    The same lines as Leon says in re4 and most things here are a copy over from 4 just black people now.

The Wesker boss was kind of silly where he can't see you in DARKNESS come on that was so silly I thought he was more powerful than what he was with the T-Virus he injected with but now
    he is completly blind I wanted him to be the next Tyrant.

If you played re4 then this game will not improve as it is the same feel as that just with a partner who can be helpful at times or not.

What I like is the weapon slots and you can move them to the left or right or up or down slots so when you push down you have that weapon equip rather than going in the inventory screen and doing it that way the inventory is the worst they done to this game because you can't PAUSE THE GAME at all leaving you able to get attack from all the place by random mobs.

Yes the aiming is like re4 you can't move when aiming can be bad, overall a very long game.
  50. ERB
    Aug 2, 2013
    One of the best game of its series.Game play is good and even story is good.Only problem is where is the merchant?Kinda miss that guy.But It is still a great game.
  51. May 30, 2013
    Resident Evil 5 is probably my favorite out of the Resident Evil franchise (this or Nemesis, still debating on that one) but I love this game to death. While the campaign is short, I think it's a perfect length so if you're going through on professional difficulty it doesn't feel like a 4 month commitment to finish it. Probably the most common complaint is only having 9 inventory slots which includes guns, ammo, medical supplies and armor, but I didn't see a problem with it because a game that's trying to be SURVIVAL I liked the challenge of planning ahead of what I might need instead of carrying everything in a briefcase. Many people will disagree with me, but being narrowed down to a limited inventory made the game more challenging and offered a lot of challenge. Another complaint is having a stupid companion with you who get's in your way. While it's true that this is annoying, I do like that I can have one of my bro's pick up a controller and play as her to help me on my mission. Though it's no excuse for a piss poor A.I, it's still nice to see a co-op feature. I'd definitely get this game if you see it in stores. Expand
  52. Jul 29, 2013
    This is a really nice adventure that is worth the money and it's almost sure that if you haven't played the previous one you'll want to have a second playthrough in a different difficulty mode. Prepare to face African zombie hordes in a big amount and to use the so interesting arsenal against them. If you are a big fan of the previous Resident Evil games you might feel to say that is not what you were waiting for and you're right somehow, because this is not a horror game, but an action one. Anyway, I want to judge it like something new, that's how the 9 out of 10. Capcom, probably, doesn't want to keep a history because of the extremely competition these days and if they had done that, fans would be the small amount of players who preferred that. Nevertheless, Resident Evil 5 is not at all a disappointing game for those who like zombie games, a good story, special moments and a lot of action. Expand
  53. Dec 10, 2013
    When Resident Evil 5 first released back 2009, Gameplay turn from Good to Worst since became Noobish, Story was BS there was no good part, Series is even more Dead thanks to making Wesker out of Character with this Release.
    Gameplay: 3/10
    Story: 0/10
    Total: 2/10
    I was once Die Hard Fan but stop caring Since Series become crap once Resident Evil 4 Released.
  54. JohnDoe
    Dec 30, 2009
    In a RE fan perspective, this game sucks incredibly, the story was incredibly sub par, it was a total mess, I don't know why they still use the stop-shoot system still, now it just pisses me off. Now, the game is level oriented instead of continuous, levels end right before I seem to get interested. RE5 isn't a horror at all anymore, its more like a steroid-driven action title. Chris is now a super hero and it seems like everyone has superpowers now, which is very anticlimactic. Puzzles seem to be put there to satisfy the stupidest of gamers and to keep the thought of RE in mind. I don't know what the games creators were thinking(couldn't have been capcom who made this) calling this game RE anyways, probably to attract the fans. All that aside, if you liked the RE movie, then you probably would like this game, since they both seem to be void of intelligence. If you are a fan of the series, this game is severely lacking Collapse

1. While the developers' decision to copy elements from Resident Evil 4 make it feel less original (despite better visuals and a new location), you'll have a blast (especially with a buddy) but after waiting four years for a sequel, we expected better.
    It's hardly the dramatic revamp that RE4 was for the series, but it marks the first time that co-op play has been implemented. As a result, the overhaul makes it a good single-player game, but a great multiplayer one. Thanks to its persistent approach to weapon upgrades, it's well-suited to replay. It's a visually splendid game with gorgeous cinematics that evoke the same awe as previous games did in their time.
  3. You'll get a lot more out of it than you do from typical games with no competitive multiplayer and while played cooperatively it really sings. It's lost a lot of what has made the franchise a pins-and-needles experience, but that sense of dread has been replaced with pure action that's hard to match.