7.4

1. Jun 1, 2013
    Good Resident Evil game. It is in fact a Resident Evil as we know it, apart from the difficulties and frustrations of the past, such as the inventory, or the typewriter saves, or the weapon equip method etc.

The technical aspect of this game is average at best, the gun sounds are made for a portable device and lack the lower frequences, the textures, animations, detail, etc. all point towards the least amount of system memory used. It' s obviously optimized for the 3DS. The models don't look that awful and the controls are great.

The atmosphere, the music, the pacing and the suspense are the good parts of this title. If Capcom weren't so greedy as to charge for a full and they sold it as a budget title, anyone could recommend this. For a full price title, it might be a better game than most other titles out there, but you're being ripped off your audiovisual pleasure, as it could have been much more. Obviously, after RE6 didn't meet Capcom's exxpectations, they had to go to plan B to counter the losses.

If you have been expecting a Resi game like the old days, you're in for a treat. Just keep in mind that this is a port from a portable system. And not the powerful one.

ps. Graphx are somewhere between Resi 4 HD and Resi 5. Probably near 4.
  2. May 19, 2015
    Another Resident Evil game. This game could have been pretty good, but it is held back by repetitiveness, a weak story, dumb AI, and clunky controls. Like most games in this genre there is a lot of running around, collecting, checking rooms, and shooting the same monsters over, and over again. Then you are driven forward by a poorly written storyline where you must unravel mysteries in aAnother Resident Evil game. This game could have been pretty good, but it is held back by repetitiveness, a weak story, dumb AI, and clunky controls. Like most games in this genre there is a lot of running around, collecting, checking rooms, and shooting the same monsters over, and over again. Then you are driven forward by a poorly written storyline where you must unravel mysteries in a very convoluted manner, and in which you are given a heap of cliches.

On your journey you take along a partner at all times, who is no help whatsoever. It almost feels like they're not there at all, that they just exist for no reason. But this is not the worst part of this game. The worst part of this game is the controls. I'm not talking about the button layout or anything like that. I am talking about how your characters moves, and how s/he can interact with the surrounding environment.

The speed, and ability to manuever, and dodge enemies is frustrating. They throw these fast paced enemies at you, but you find yourself unable to avoid their attacks. The controls provided are not suited to the challenges you are given. They just don't match.

For the life of me I cannot understand why they make you furiously waggle your thumbstick around to free yourself from an enemy...! Every time I do it, I feel like my control is going to break, and I do not feel it is helping to get me free from the enemy.

It can be a frustrating experience.

However, amidst all these complaints there are some good points to Resident Evil Revelations. The atmosphere they have created is excellent. It really puts you on edge, and gives you the jitters. It feels a lot like Resident Evil 2, or one of the classic Resident Evil titles. You get a sense of dread while playing. That is the strongest point of this game. You feel like you are in a horror movie. I liked having to think about my next step, wondering what was around the next corner, and conserving my ammunition. At times I felt totally submerged in the game, where the monsters were all both disgusting and terrifying. It made my heart race.

And for that I think this game is definitely worth trying. Experiences may vary!
  3. Jul 1, 2013
    Are Capcom still living in 2004? The best place to start is the controls, which don't feel as if they have changed a bit since RE6 and RE5 and...Well RE4, the only NOTABLE new addition is the ability to shoot while moving, but this is a luxury other 3PS games have had for well...10 years now. The truth is, while this control scheme worked swimmingly for RE4, it's really starting to feelAre Capcom still living in 2004? The best place to start is the controls, which don't feel as if they have changed a bit since RE6 and RE5 and...Well RE4, the only NOTABLE new addition is the ability to shoot while moving, but this is a luxury other 3PS games have had for well...10 years now. The truth is, while this control scheme worked swimmingly for RE4, it's really starting to feel dated now.You still have hardly any mobility in Resident Evil, if an enemy is about to hit you, you have to do a Up/Down+A or RT or B or X or not pressing any buttons at all, the game doesn't make it clear enough because doing any of those things seem to work, but then half the time they don't. You still can't sprint, meaning you slowly jog away from danger rather than run, meaning some enemies can just plain grab you really easily and then take you into a QTE where you have hardly any control over what's happening, after all you probably pressed the dodge button/s but it didn't work. There is still no evade maneuver meaning the half-working dodge move won't work on bosses and makes it difficult to get passed an enemy in a narrow hallway, which most of the time ends in them grabbing you and a QTE, This really does show you how user friendly and agile the controls feel on a 3PS like Gears Of War or Max Payne 3. Right now with the horrible controls out of the way, onto the actual game, The reason this game doesn't get a 0 is because it captures 100% what the original RE games were like, brutal, thrilling and exciting, I enjoyed the story, but if you are anything like me you'd find yourself constantly fighting the controls and bad gun mechanics more than you'd be fighting monsters. Another thing that simply needs to be pointed out is how dated the engine is in this game, while il admit, the 3DS version is amazing for the device it runs on, The engine used for modern consoles is simply outdated, what modern game doesn't have ragdoll effects, dismemberment, even corpses that stay in the map and don't sink into the ground(Give me the "Dissolving" thing if you want, the truth is, they do it for better optimization), one more thing about the engine is, the enemies don't take damage dynamically, they don't react to how bullets hit them(Look at Dead Space, a 2007 game if you want to know what I mean by that, also play Dead Space, it's a better game) and they don't get knocked back enough for it to feel real, Probably the most annoying part is wasting bullets, as the enemies don't get knocked back and don't have ragdoll effect's it's often hard to determine when they are actually dead as the death is an animation and not a dynamic physics event, meaning i often shoot enemies an extra once or twice as it's hard to tell if they are in their dying animation or not, the only way to tell is when your bullets simply fly right through their bodies and into the nearest wall/enemy standing behind them. this is not acceptable in a game where ammo is scarce, In 2004, I didn't care, because I hadn't seen better, but cmon it's 2013 now.

One last thing is Raid Mode, Probably the only part of this game done right, They scrapped that terrible mercenaries mode and replaced it with this, which is BETTER!, Imagine Mass Effect 3's Multiplayer mixed with Mercenaries with no time limit, tons of dynamic items to find, a leveling system and tons of varying weapons to unlock, chose from over 8 different characters to use. Unlock parts, find rare guns and kill monsters. This mode alone gives this game a 5 score, incredibly addictive
    The only downside is it uses sing-player levels and forces you to complete the campaign to play them all, best of all, it works in SP and Co Op!
    This game had potential to be great, but like most Capcom games of late, it's ruined by flaws that are plainly just caused by bad design.

At least this game is not QTE(Quick Time Event) heavy, like RE6 and at least it's not utter garbage like RE RC, if you are gonna buy a new-ish RE game, get this one, don't get RE6 or RC, if you wan't a great horror experience like the original RE games, Buy Dead Space 1, 2 and 3, You will find they satisfy your needs much better than any RE game ever could, ever since RE5, the series has lost it's "Horror".
  4. May 21, 2013
    A good return to the original Resident Evil feel, but still could use some innovations on certain facets that has never been resolved in this series.
  5. May 31, 2013
    Just another copy of the 3DS why bother with it?

Sure Capcom can make a number 2 soon WARNING, this is only a copy of the 3DS version that is a rip off only in hd. I think Capcom are just getting poor and poor so they copy same games over to the next big console don't get this game if you got it for the 3DS I was shocked when it came to the big console but why bother? Capcom make
    Just another copy of the 3DS why bother with it?

Capcom make a second one then you get more value for customer service.
  6. Jan 27, 2015
    The game is a step in the right direction, altough a very small step.
    Trying to return to its horror origins after RE6, the game falls short due to a story with too irrelevant characters to worry about, a boring array of weapons and an extremely unfair boss fight at the end that requires you to master the most unpolished controls this franchise has never had.
  7. Jun 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I am a huge fan of everything up till 5, 4 was a little iffy but kept it tense while adopting a more controllable avatar. This game however goes back to the old but goes wrong in a few very huge ways that drew me out of the game. First, the inventory, there is none, and resident evil game that does not have inventory juggling is not a resident evil game. How come possibly the best in the series was a remake of the first game and it had the most painful inventory in the series in my opinion but it added to the game in such an amazing way. I will explain this before moving on, in resident evil remake you need to burn the zombie bodies or they would come back over time quicker more aggressive and more damaging, you needed gas (1 inventory slot) and the lighter (also 1 slot), and chris had 6 total while jill had 8 throw ammo/guns/space to fit plot items and oh boy. Moving on, beside the inventory the game is plagued by what they thought was a good idea in resident evil 6, not quite as bad here but still bad, you get switched around between jill then chris then some jagoff we should't even care about then jills partner from time to time all in different area telling a different part of the story, it breaks up the flow and ripped me out of the game. And finally the last thing that made me knock an immediate 2/10 off of this right off the bat with this game was the chapters and parts o chapters, like swapping between characters it puts you into forced menu screens telling you your accuracy/deaths/time and rates you. This can happen every 5-20 minutes. All in all I beat this game on hard in 6 hours 10 minutes, all my deaths (2) were on the last boss, not hard but has a pattern and does enough damage where you cannot learn the full pattern before it is too late (save revolver ammo for this guy and pump its damage with a damage 5 and have a charge shot shotgun for him), I feel it is a little short but then half the game was all focused on garbage, in my opinion, and not the main antagonist, jill. And heres some minor things that I will not take points off for but annoyed me.Graphics, literally it looks life the textures were takes from the DS (half joking....), voice acting can be hit and miss, I could not play this at my native resolution of 2560-1440. And lastly needed another sentence for this, the females are totally shat on in this game, jill is always showing off her cleavage, jessica totally not a traitor complains its cold in the snowy mountains while wearing basically a pair of thick stockings and denim short shorts on the bottom then later sports one legged purple/black wet suit the rides her vag like no other and also she is seen in a fetishist dream uniform with a skirt that starts just below her boobs and office shirt and a little wee hat all while marching around in high heels leggings sporting a smug ass grin WHEWW. Last woman.... rachel initially found early on getting killed by some suckers and her wetsuit in undone all the way down to her pubes just barely covering her nipples., if you didn't like her as a corpse have fun throughout the game. Expand

1. Jul 25, 2013
    Resident Evil: Revelations is a well-made game. It lacks the highs of Resident Evil 6 but also avoids that game's tremendous lows, focusing on a more consistent, well-rounded experience.
  2. Jul 14, 2013
    Resident Evil: Revelations is less of a "fans of the genre" title than it is a "fans of the series" title. For everyone else, it's like that B-movie that does just enough things right to be entertaining.
  3. Jul 5, 2013
    A solid RE episode, with a great porting job from the 3DS version and sporting a good balance between pure action and survival horror. If you're missing the older games in the series, this could please you.