7.9

1. May 13, 2011
    What had taken me so long to play this game? I could kick myself in the ass! I been watching a lot of video for Child of Eden so I thought I would give Rez HD a try since it looked interesting. I could not be happier with the game. So simple, yet so amazing and a true work of art. Few games have been able to evoke such emotion from me as Rez HD. I absolutely love it! Most games in thisWhat had taken me so long to play this game? I could kick myself in the ass! I been watching a lot of video for Child of Eden so I thought I would give Rez HD a try since it looked interesting. I could not be happier with the game. So simple, yet so amazing and a true work of art. Few games have been able to evoke such emotion from me as Rez HD. I absolutely love it! Most games in this genre can be ridiculously hard but Rez HD manages to find the perfect balance between challenging and frustrating. Its so perfect that I find it hard to stop playing. I skipped the gym last night because I could not put it down and I already took my pre-workout supplement so I was up for hours playing it.

If you have not played this game yet do yourself a favor and get the trial. If you are disappointed you have no soul!
  2. AdamB.
    Aug 7, 2009
    Rez is very difficult; health power-ups are rare (usually one full upgrade per entire area) and when you die it's hard to tell what exactly went wrong. It's also very repetitive (being an on-rails shooter) and there's no multiplayer. But for the price, it's worth checking out just for the raw experience. Considered solely as an HD interactive techno music video, itRez is very difficult; health power-ups are rare (usually one full upgrade per entire area) and when you die it's hard to tell what exactly went wrong. It's also very repetitive (being an on-rails shooter) and there's no multiplayer. But for the price, it's worth checking out just for the raw experience. Considered solely as an HD interactive techno music video, it really delivers. Expand
  3. TomP
    Aug 27, 2008
    Completely unengaging. Sure, it looks nice, it has some trippy songs. But the gameplay is utter rubbish. Lock on and fire while going down a track. Take away the artsy look and we'd see what the game really deserves. Instead we have people trying to overate this in the attempt at helping the "Games as art argument" ...the only reedeming feature is it's price.
  4. KevinW
    Feb 17, 2008
    While I enjoyed E4 a little bit more, Rez is an extremely engaging experience. Even if you're not a fan of electronic music, you can't help but to be sucked in by the way the audio and visuals work together. Add in the trance vibration and challenging difficulty level and you get a completely addicting game. Perfect for XBLA.
  5. leeharcourt
    Feb 15, 2008
    basically, it's an interactive winamp visual plugin, which i'm sure was totally awesome way back during the DCs short lifespan, however, it really doesn't stand up to the major advances that have been been made in the hybrid music genres in terms of aesthetics (visual, audible, and tactile) or gameplay. to get an idea of what the rez hd experience is like, just imaginebasically, it's an interactive winamp visual plugin, which i'm sure was totally awesome way back during the DCs short lifespan, however, it really doesn't stand up to the major advances that have been been made in the hybrid music genres in terms of aesthetics (visual, audible, and tactile) or gameplay. to get an idea of what the rez hd experience is like, just imagine spacing out to some generic electronica cd youre forcing yourself to listen to since you dropped 10 bucks on it, then imagine playing a super generic thoughtless shmup simultaneously. now youve experienced true synaesthesia! Expand
  6. Andyman
    Feb 1, 2008
    An incredible bargain at $10. They even had the foresight to allow you to use up to four (!) controllers as Trance Vibrators similar to the Japanese special edition PS2 release.
  7. Jarrod
    Jan 31, 2008
    Loved this on PS2, now its in hd, and looks even better. Like 'Every Extended Extra Extreme' its somewhat debatable how much of a 'game' is here. Its an on rails shooter, but a much different experience - very much the 'trance/rave' experience in an audiovisual package, that you can enjoy on your couch and not do anything illegal. Those looking for a regular Loved this on PS2, now its in hd, and looks even better. Like 'Every Extended Extra Extreme' its somewhat debatable how much of a 'game' is here. Its an on rails shooter, but a much different experience - very much the 'trance/rave' experience in an audiovisual package, that you can enjoy on your couch and not do anything illegal. Those looking for a regular shooter look elsewhere, those looking for an experience, this is a very unique one. A classic that has finally come to the 360! Expand
  8. RichardH.
    Jan 31, 2008
    The best experience on XBLA thus far for me, The HD treatment on this remake really makes the Rez experience realized.
  9. StarH.
    Jan 31, 2008
    Turn up the sound, dim the lights and immerse yourself in a gaming experience you won't forget.
  10. BlakeH.
    Jan 30, 2008
    I absolutely love this game. I have owned every version of REZ, and this is by far the best. The core gameplay is still there and untouched, but the added features are great. I love the ability to download replays of the high scores on the leaderboards and watch them, and the new Trance Vibration with up to 4 Xbox 360 controllers is realy, really cool.
  11. FrankB.
    Jan 30, 2008
    Rez has and aways will be an underappreicated gem. With a soundtrack that withstands the test of time, updated visuals, and 5.1 surround, this game once again places itself in my "MUST PLAY NOW" list.
  12. MatthewM.
    Jan 30, 2008
    The perfect marriage of sound, visuals, and gameplay. The improved HD visuals and 5.1 sound make this classic all the better. Disregard reviews that say this game panders to "stoners" or rave fanatics. This is an experience not to be missed by 360 owners of all interests- from the casual, to the hardcore (to all those with gamertags containing 420). Rez transcends the medium of video The perfect marriage of sound, visuals, and gameplay. The improved HD visuals and 5.1 sound make this classic all the better. Disregard reviews that say this game panders to "stoners" or rave fanatics. This is an experience not to be missed by 360 owners of all interests- from the casual, to the hardcore (to all those with gamertags containing 420). Rez transcends the medium of video games and reaches out to its audience the way Death of a Salesman does- by breaking down barriers and begging questions. To what extent are we interacting with games? How do they give us feedback? If your question is whether or not to lay down the $10 measly dollars on this game- you're thinking too hard. Just buy it now. It's certainly the best game on ARCADE, one of the best video game experiences of all time, and a true work of modern art. The developers have done XBOX 360 owners a great honor, please don't miss the opportunity to thank them. Expand

1. Rez HD hits a rhythm that feels absolutely right for those willing to try something perpetually new, no matter what year it actually debuted. [Feb 2008, p.74]
    There's simply nothing else like it on Xbox 360 or Xbox Live Arcade. The improved visuals are indeed pretty and though the new additions may be minimal, the game was pretty darn good without them.
    In HD, true synaesthesia has been achieved. Rez HD is one of the best games ever made, it costs around $10, and you don't even need to leave the house to get it. In over a decade of critiquing games I've never felt the need to say these words in a review until now: Just buy it.