7.7

1. Mar 29, 2012
    Here's the weird thing about RRU: At first try, you'll likely hate it. The difficulty level is higher at the outset than you'd expect from a racing game (expect to lose your first few races), and the controls are distinctly unforgiving -- until I started to get the hang of the game's drifting mechanic, which is far removed from Ridge Racers of yore, I was more likely to crash trying to turn a corner than not. Then I started to get the hang of it, then I started winning races, and suddenly a game I planned to trade in not one day after buying it has become a title I don't see myself parting with any time soon. A rank-advancement system that lets you keep the points you score in a given race even if you come in dead last (thus giving even the worst players a chance at eventually unlocking new cars which may better fit their play styles) went a long way in that regard. My only disappointment thus far is that, unless you got GameStop's special pre-order DLC pack with some Namco game-themed cars, there are *zero* nods to previous RR titles: even the cool car names (like 'Soldat Raggio' and 'Assoluto Fatalita') are gone. I can't wait to get into the multiplayer after I unlock some more content. Expand
  2. Mar 28, 2012
    Straight off the bat i cant praise the track editor enough its a fantastic set up and really user friendly although you need to complete the main game to get the most out of it buts its a great addition. I think the series was getting a little tired and theres so many other different racers out there that it needed to catch up and maybe borrow some of their features. I dont mind games that borrow or improve on other driving game features and i think ridge racer unbounded is finely tuned. It kinda comes off as a burnout / need for speed hybrid which isnt a bad thing at all. Fun single player, destructible environments and lots of speed. best ridge racer game in a while. Expand
  3. Mar 28, 2012
    Finally! A new excellent Ridge Racer, after the 6 that be regular, this new title of the saga is amazing, is same like Burnout, but OMG is really awesome, the graphics, controls, music, gameplay, all. Ridge Racer Unbounded is a sorprise.
  4. Mar 30, 2012
    Single most satisfying arcade racer since Split Second. Some have said they dislike the music but you could always play your own tracks. Personally I love the music and even better you can change the tracks whilst in game on the fly. Quite a number of tracks too.
  5. Mar 30, 2012
    Non stop awesome. Over the top crashes, constant explosions. See that passenger train ? Bam! Drove right trough it. **** logic, exploding concrete everywhere. AI can be challenging, but damn every track is a exhilarating rollercoaster ride. Burnout x Split/Second x Ridge Racer combo. Congratz Bugbear, awesome game. Now if you would just add pedestrians for a carmageddon feel I've would have given it an 11. Expand
  6. Mar 31, 2012
    Absolutley exhilarating! Fast, furious and total chaos at times, the music is fantastic and the graphics and effects are superb. It can occasionally be frustrating when the enemy AI is aggressive, but if you choose the right car you can usually avoid this - the cars with poor handling are easily knocked off course, and it pays to use a car with a little less speed/acceleration but better handling and strength! But brill game, if you liked NFS: Most Wanted then you'll like this: It doesn't have a massive amount in common in terms of gameplay mechanics but the rush from playing is similar. Don't hold back: buy this!! Expand
  7. Mar 31, 2012
    For fans of flatout it is a perfect game ! Game is well optimized , for fact that it has so awesome graphic. It isjust good and funy arcade. i would recomended to all flatout players :)
  8. Nov 13, 2012
    cool game from BugBear, who dont like it just from cniha and loves anime boys
  9. Nov 13, 2012
    What to say about THIS??? It's AWESOME!!!
  10. Mar 30, 2012
    How to best explain this game? Let me preface it by saying if you're looking for a "Ridge Racer" title in the same style of the past games, you'll be disappointed. "Unbounded" plays Burnout Revenge only with destructible environments. The presentation is menu driven, like Burnout Revenge, but the menu feels like it was lifted, almost directly, from Blur (which is not a bad thing; in fact, I can't help but wonder if Bugbear managed to pilfer some of the ex-Bizarre Creations folks for Unbounded). ||| The premise of Unbounded is pretty simple: Win races by destroying your opponents, and earn points by causing collateral damage and destroying specific targets during the race. There are several types of races including Domination (the predominant "destruction" race), pure races where destruction power is replaced with boost, drift challenges where you try to rack up drift points in specific time periods, timed stunt challenges, and a mode where you use a big rig to wreck as many police cars as possible. ||| Unlike previous Ridge Racer titles, drifting in Unbounded follows a more typical arcade racer system where the player uses the handbrake to drift. The drift controls are much better and makes for a better gameplay feel, in my opinion. As XP is earned, the player unlocks more events and, more importantly, more parts for the track editor. ||| The coolness factor of the track editor simply cannot be understated. Being able to create your own tracks from the game equivalent of Lego pieces and then invite people to play on them (and watch the destruction unfold) is simply an amazing addition - and something I wish Criteron had done years ago with their Burnout franchise. ||| Admittedly, single player seems to be a little on the short side, but multiplayer and track creation gives the title amazing replay value. If you've missed the classic Burnout style of gameplay, you won't go wrong with this title. Expand
  11. Apr 25, 2012
    Loving this game! Never played previous Ridge Racer Games so I can't compare. I find myself going back to this game a couple of times a day. I think the driving aspect mechanic itself is awesome! Cars are completely controllable. I wish same mechanic was used in The Run. 2 types of multiplayer: race against other players live and then seperate SSX style where u race in events just to beat high score ( 1, 6, & 24 hr. events). Track Editor is insane, endless possibilities! Wish they had demo so people could try it out bc this game is going under the radar. There is no online code needed so u can pick it up used and it's like having tons of free DLC thrown at u every day! Very happy I pre-ordered and have no regrets on paying full price. I already put a lot more time into Unbounded than Split Second. The game is just fun and addictive! Expand
  12. May 28, 2014
    Underated piece of fun! Making a crazy city is fun but there seems to be a lack of players. People should buy this game and play on there friends tracks! the drifting is abit challenging but still fun. If you want to drive on insane, destuctive tracks, get this game!
  13. Mar 29, 2012
    "Ridge Racer: Unbounded" is the 11th home console version of the Ridge Racer franchise, which is characterized by races with modern cars in various tracks, with a arcade-style gameplay. This time the franchise returns with several innovations, along the usual style of gameplay.

The game has the same essence of the other racing games in the series, ie, the various competing cars, racing
    dynamics, in urban settings, seeking the first place. The classic gameplay joined "innovations" that were inspired by other games, notably "Burnout" and "Blur".

The graphics are very good, and even at high speed have excellent and realistic detailing. All cars are modern and have a bold, new look - in the screen we have indicators of shortcuts and general information (laps remaining, etc.) appearing as if they were projected in the structures of scenarios, such as buildings, following the layout of them.

The music (mostly electronic) and sounds of the game are fast, well done and fuse with the game very well, as the sounds and sound effects of crashes, explosions, and snoring of the engines that get the mood in the fast gameplay of this game.

The emphasis of the title is on graphics and gameplay innovations: when you fill a power bar, you can press the A, which causes your car to protrude forward, destroying any car or structure in your path (the scenario part that can be destroyed is indicated before). The effects at the time of the destruction of the vehicles is done with slow motion in various angles, and generated at the moment, and shows in a movie-style sequence, the car exploding, fragmenting and rolling - the inspiration is clear, and was officially announced, in the Burnout series of games.

The same occurs in the destruction of scenarios, which is similar to Blur, where walls explode, and you go through the scenarios, gaining more bonus and getting shortcuts, which sometimes also show the same effects in slow-motion like the car crashes. The races feeling is the is the same as NFS: The Run, in a view that is focused on back of your car, with a closer view of the runway and urban settings, in a fast and frenetic gameplay.

The game still has a special mode with city editor, where you will make your race track, with a sequence of blocks in a grid: they may be uploaded online, with the goals set by you, provided they are consistent (you must complete a gameplay in your track to to be accepted).

In addition, the game has several modes Multiplayer Online, in the World Mode, where you can create challenges, as well as others Online Modes such as Domination, Survival, Frag and Drift Challenge.

Overall is a great racing game, arcade style, that mixes the effects of destruction of vehicles and scenes from other games, being a mixture of "Burnout", "NFS: The Run" and "Blur": nevertheless, the formula does not is innovative, bringing something new and exclusive to their own innovative franchise. Still, is a great and fast pacing racing / destruction game, that guarantee many hours of fun, offline and online, and the best version of the franchise in the Xbox 360. My score: 8.4 / 10.0.

1. May 18, 2012
    Racing with an old flair, yet creating with a new one, Ridge Racer fans will find a lot to love here.
  2. May 16, 2012
    Falling somewhere between a traditional Ridge Racer title and a Burnout game, Unbounded fails to fully succeed at recreating either experience, ending up in between the two racing franchises in terms of quality.
  3. May 14, 2012
    An intense and addictive adrenaline rush, a high-speed power fantasy that will make you feel like Jesus on Wheels - when it works. When it doesn't, which is a lot, races tend to reduce to exercises in tedium and frustration. [June 2012, p.73]