6.3

1. Sep 9, 2010
    This game has so many downfalls. Controls are not intuitive at all; Camera speed is not customisable; Conversations with the NPCs are awful; There are so many bugs.
    One of my main gripes with the game was that I had completed every quest to become to mage, however, because I spoke to one particular person before speaking to another, the quest dialog was glitched and would not allow me to proceed. In order to rectify this, I could either, open up a console and cheat, impossible on the 360, or to reload to a saved game which was over 5 hours of game play in difference. I'm not gonna make a new save game file for each minor order of conversation I have with a character.
    . . . Also, what the hell is up with jumping? Right-Thumbstick in is not a comfortable button to use to jump. The animations are awful too.
    The subtitles are at the top of the screen, and are quite blurry which hurts your eyes. The best thing about this game is when I stopped playing it. That darn buggy glitch caused me to have completely wasted 13 hours of my life playing this pile.
    My God, if you *have* to get this game, get it for the PC. At least if you mess up by speaking to the right people in the wrong order you can fix it! Although, getting it for the PC is such a mess too. It's not longer available for basically 90% of the world over STEAM. The game for PC also uses Tages, so it's limited to 3 computers. Goodness, Deepsilver. . . What are you thinking!?
  2. MilesB.
    Oct 4, 2009
    Terrible game. Everything about it is below average. The graphics look like like they came straight out of a PS2 game, and despite this the framerate is still inconsistent. The gameplay isn't much better with movement being way to sensitive and with no way to change it. Combat is slow and clunky and the inventory system is a nightmare to navigate. As for the sound, the acting is Terrible game. Everything about it is below average. The graphics look like like they came straight out of a PS2 game, and despite this the framerate is still inconsistent. The gameplay isn't much better with movement being way to sensitive and with no way to change it. Combat is slow and clunky and the inventory system is a nightmare to navigate. As for the sound, the acting is pretty bad too despite having some famous actors involved. I must admit though, the games music is OK. I've seen pictures of the PC version which looks miles better in comparison. I also know that this game will definitely play better with a mouse and keyboard. So, if you do decide to pick Risen up. Go for the PC version... It may actually be good! Expand
  3. Jan 24, 2011
    By far the worse game I have tried to play in a long time with emphasis on tried to play as you can tell by my score I will not finish this one. There is nothing really nice to say about this game. It is a poor showing. You hear the comment all the time "this game plays and feels like a ps2 game" - well i think this game matches that comment more perfectly than any other game i have playedBy far the worse game I have tried to play in a long time with emphasis on tried to play as you can tell by my score I will not finish this one. There is nothing really nice to say about this game. It is a poor showing. You hear the comment all the time "this game plays and feels like a ps2 game" - well i think this game matches that comment more perfectly than any other game i have played on any next generation system. (well maybe also Turning point, Fall of Liberty). Anyway the bottom line i think is stay away unless the only types of games you play are RPG games and you love the relaxed and mindlessness of old school style and playing games on systems that are really outdated. This game seems more like it was released in 2000-2003 including all the shoddy graphics and cheesy stand still characters....To list a few deficiencies - NPC characters are not dynamic. Quests aren't really accepted you can finish them without even knowing you were on one. The maps you have to earn, not really a problem but they are so small when you get them they are almost worthless and only help in finding your general direction. Being open world you can have different interactions with the characters, good and bad but you don't know if you are doing what is required or not because game is poorly delineated. NPC characters can kill you if you do something bad then you spawn in front of them and carry on, you just re-equip your gear so a waste of time. You are never sure if you are supposed to do something at a location of NPC or if you do if that NPC will attack you cutting off any quest or perk that character may have offered you in return. Many things you don't know if you should or should not do and if it matters...Different weapons do different damage to enemies but there is no quick swap (or i have not found out how to). Manual doesn't explain quick swap and other important things like how the skills will be implented as the game proceeds but does mention no brainer stuff like how to run by pressing the left anolog all the way up (with the nerve to also print "hint" next to it). I mean i could go on with another 100 things but the game is just poor poor poor and would only appeal to players who do not venture outside this genre. I did like the sound and special effects but that is about the only thing this game would get a passing grade from me. Expand
  4. Jan 28, 2011
    I am a fan of the medieval RPG and since Dragon Age I have been starved. That being said I still must caution anyone thinking about picking up this game. The graphics are dated and the combat is horribly repetitve extremely early. The voice acting is lackluster and the music score numbers around 3 tracks that seem out of place at times. Even so, what kills the experience are theI am a fan of the medieval RPG and since Dragon Age I have been starved. That being said I still must caution anyone thinking about picking up this game. The graphics are dated and the combat is horribly repetitve extremely early. The voice acting is lackluster and the music score numbers around 3 tracks that seem out of place at times. Even so, what kills the experience are the control issues and game-killing bugs. The auto-targeting makes fighting more than 3 enemies a chore at best and the over-sensitive X-axis is terrible, neither of which can be changed. Many times I found myself losing my entire health bar from a glitch occuring when hit by more than one enemy at the same time. Frustrating sums up my experience with this game. Look somewhere else for your RPG thirlls and your sanity will be the better for it. Expand
  5. Jan 19, 2012
    Just a god awful game, i wouldn't even call it a RPG it is a crappy interactive movie is what it is man what a waste of a rental. It is repetitive long and not even decent character development or RPG stats/ leveling this has to be the worst RPG i have ever played
  6. May 11, 2012
    This PC port is a train wreck. Graphics are dated, controls are clunky, dialog corny and the gameplay is often glitchy or downright broken. It has some good idea's but fails to execute on a massive scale. This game is also a huge grind with constant reptition. Play at your own risk.
  7. GeorgeA
    Oct 2, 2009
    This game was a huge disappointment, I was looking forward to it for so long but it turned out to be hype. The Xbox controls are terrible and the dialogs are almost like they were written by a child. It's got the Oblivion problem of having four voice actors do all the voices for the entire game, which is excluding the tiny dialogs that Andy Serkis and Jhon Rhys Davies have (which are This game was a huge disappointment, I was looking forward to it for so long but it turned out to be hype. The Xbox controls are terrible and the dialogs are almost like they were written by a child. It's got the Oblivion problem of having four voice actors do all the voices for the entire game, which is excluding the tiny dialogs that Andy Serkis and Jhon Rhys Davies have (which are brilliantly done). They used the vegetation to build the levels at the cost of every other object in the world. The props are quite basic and have huge smudged textures. When you look at the dialogs and the normal animations your stomach turns because of the repulsive quality. Still the worse thing is that the character development is practically nonexistent, you try to understand and relate to the main character but because he is portrayed as a total RETARD you tend to dislike him from the get go, there isn Expand
  8. May 12, 2013
    Some games are just bad and need not to be played. My brother, seemingly a fan of poorly constructed RPGs, had this game. I've inherited it, and decided to try and play it. I wasted 3 hours of my life. The combat is painfully boring, the graphics are terrible, and all the voices sound the same.

I truly did not have fun AT ALL through the 3 hours I played this game. I cannot give a rich review as I did not complete the game.
  9. Jul 15, 2016
    Nothing works... Not questing... Not combat... Not the inventory... Not exploring... Not one single thing in this game works as designed. Unless every aspect was designed to be double-plus unfun.

1. While Gothic sails away to other developers, Piranha Bytes turns the tide with this return to the origins of true RPG. Deep, polished, compelling, Risen is an RPG for RPG true lovers. Some small glitches and a general lack of accessibility make it step down a little bit on the score, but it's still THE game to have if you love RPGs.
    Risen is a successful RPG that looks really good and offers a lot of fun gameplay, which keeps you busy for hours and hours. However it's a pity that the game offers less innovation.
  3. Risen is actually a real shame because of its promises. The world looks great and it’s funny to explore, but developers didn't pay enough attention to essential aspects like the combat and character progression.