Risen Xbox 360

6.3

1. Feb 11, 2014
    Very fun but difficult game, I found myself saving frequently as the traps in the game were overboard and monsters sometimes caused instant deaths resulting in game over! Graphics are dated but story is good and music is great. Combat is decent but I did struggle with annoyance as it seemed like even enemies who you'd think wouldn't be very intelligent blocked like they were a master ofVery fun but difficult game, I found myself saving frequently as the traps in the game were overboard and monsters sometimes caused instant deaths resulting in game over! Graphics are dated but story is good and music is great. Combat is decent but I did struggle with annoyance as it seemed like even enemies who you'd think wouldn't be very intelligent blocked like they were a master of the art. Glitches do occur and several times I witnessed my screen turning different colors resulting in a dashboard of the 360 and not to mention I fought the end boss invisible as my character would not load up for some reason. Expand
  2. Mar 3, 2011
    Decent RPG with lots of potential. TERRIBLE amount of bugs (often robbing the player of achievements) made the game frustrating. I enjoyed playing through the game but I would rent it.
  3. Apr 17, 2012
    An ok port of an all-around great game. The 360 version retains everything that made this game (and it's father series, Gothic), a hit on the pc. A vast open world. Interesting character progression. Engaging combat. And a hardcore sense of self. Sadly, this version also comes crammed with issues not seen in the pc version . The game's visuals range anywhere from lackluster, to straightAn ok port of an all-around great game. The 360 version retains everything that made this game (and it's father series, Gothic), a hit on the pc. A vast open world. Interesting character progression. Engaging combat. And a hardcore sense of self. Sadly, this version also comes crammed with issues not seen in the pc version . The game's visuals range anywhere from lackluster, to straight bad, with little to be seen that rises above this. Many character models are under-developed. There are many texture glitches to be found. And the lighting can sometimes be a bit much. Though, it has to be said that Risen shows a level of art design not seen much in games. It allows for a game that while not the prettiest around, is still very much an interesting place to look at. If nothing else, the port is passable by today's standards. At least in terms of open-world rpgs. Aside from graphical issues, the game's interface left a lot to be desired. The map can be a pain, as can finding the specific quest log you wish to access. Just about everything regarding the menu system seems muddled and is more or less a hassle. The only thing the game has going in for it is the mapped sliders on the d-pad, allowing for fast access to certain parts of the menu. Too bad everything goes to hell after that. Now that those are out of the way, let's get on to the good stuff. The game, in terms of design, is almost genius. Something that has not really been seen in console games. Much like Risen's father series, Gothic, the entire game takes place in a largely hostile world. All manners of creatures inhabit the land, and their strength largely varies from type to type. Unlike many rpg's that set you on a more or less straight path, ensuring that you are always more or less capable of handling what is in front of you, this game sets you loose in the world to explore at your leisure, accompanied by all the risks that come with that level of freedom. What you get with this is a game that largely rewards exploration and experimentation. Making you work towards conquering certain areas, and always giving you something to strive for. It is a breath of fresh air, especially for console gamers. And I would love to see more games take this route in the future. The combat is also very well done. Risen is more of an action-rpg experience, than a traditional one. And the combat system that it has in place is a shining example of this hybrid genre done right. During my playthrough, I played the game as a fighter, ignoring the magic system that the game uses. Therefor, this review will be based solely on melee combat. With that, I found melee to be (more or less), very well done. Enemy ai reacts rather well to the character's attacks, and the game takes a lot more concentration and planning than you would think. Blocking in this game, is key, and without taking advantage of it, don't expect to live long. You can upgrade your fighting skills by spending the skill points you get after leveling, allowing for you to enhance your strength, in order to wield better weapons, or improve your overall skill with different weapon types, giving you different tactics when using weapons. The only negative thing I have to say for this is, when more than three enemies are to be dispatched, the lock-on feature can go a bit wonky, often times following the enemy you weren't trying to. It can get annoying, though it rarely hampered combat too bad. Well, those were the basics for this basic review. While the game is not perfect, the game's pros largely outweigh the negatives. Anyone looking or a challenge and are fans of open-world rpgs should take a look. At the low price of twenty bucks, it is hard not to recommend this to anyone even slightly interested in this title. While I would like to give this game a higher rating, technical issues leave the title with a bit to be desired. An all around good game, but it could have been handled a bit better in the transfer. Expand
  4. Feb 14, 2013
    Man, this game has more flaws than you'll know what to do with. But, you may still have a good time if you decide to play it. Full Review Here http://alloyseven.com/articles/game/item/88-risen-flawed-fun
  5. May 25, 2011
    I quite enjoyed this game. Feel as if it has been hard done by. The gameplay works well, storyline is good and the island that it is set on is believable. Would definetly recommend this to rpg fans, has been underrated.
  6. Les
    Oct 18, 2009
    as a fan of Gothic I pretty much knew what to xpect. Major disappointments are that the graphics are dated, too dark and camera often confusing especially in fights, but overall fun whilst we wait for Dragon Age and Mass effect 2
  7. Mar 6, 2012
    Risen is one of the most stranger games that I play, because the story is good, but have some mistakes, the gamplay is very strangem is not like the normal RPG's, and the graphics, sound, music are good, the controls are terrible, I suppouse that the 60 is correct.
  8. Jun 22, 2013
    Risen is game that is neither terrible or good. I expected more from the creators of Gothic series. I didn't finished the game, but I have over 40h gameplay experience with it and I think that justify my review.

Good things about this game: SOUNDTRACK Not excellent but it does its work well. HERO HAVE A VOICE- They could have found better actor but he does his job as well. DEEP RPG

Good things about this game:
    SOUNDTRACK Not excellent but it does its work well.
    DEEP RPG ELEMENTS- There are dozens of skills that you can learn. Besides combat skills there are also crafting skills, through not very important(not counting alchemy). Simply put it´s classic RPG level up experience, decent one too. Magic is overpowered late in the game.
    OPEN WORLD- Quite big open world. There are some interesting things to discover, caves to clear, treasures to find and so on
    NPC- There are some interesting characters and others less so.
    COMBAT- Quite good, you get more options as you level up, new movements and abilities. Magic is effective (on your frame rate too) through there is few spells, little to few. Bow sucks.

Bad things about this game:
    FRAME RATE- simple fireball causes frame rate so low that it is nearly unplayable! And with graphics like this...
    GRAPHICS- I'm not the type that care that much about graphics but this game do not have esthetic beauty ethier. Everything looks just bad, horribly bad, like a average game from 2000-04 period.
    THE MAP- Hard to truck quests. There are to sort map, under one button. The one that shows you were you are and the one that shows you quest objective. Not only you have to switch between them all the time but you have to search for a quest and choose it every time you close the map. It´s one of most irritating game experiences that I had.
    BORING QUEST- There are two categories: unepic quests the type of... sweep the floor, go to him, brought me this, give me gold so I can heal my wife(10gamepoints for 75g or something like that). And "Epic" quest that include you killing enemies taking one thing and go collecting reward, no inversion. There are some traps in temples, but even that don´t making this fun.

I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end this game is average! :(
    Want some better RPG, there are plenty, why waste time on average tittle when you can play something else. If you want to play something similar to Risen, play Gothic 1 and 2 (and three witch enchanted edition) same game studio, buy these games are so much better.
  9. Oct 2, 2014
    Just played through this is around 45 hours.

Just played through this is around 45 hours.

Pros: Game is challenging, but not too hard. I felt it was just right. There isn't too much hand holding. The game encourages exploration. It's very quest driven. You can literally spend like 5 hours in a city doing all the quests, looting all the houses, finding all the secrets. The island is very large and you can spend a good amount of time just mowing down enemies.

Cons: Graphics are horrible. A lot of the game is pointless. There is very little reward in exploration. You can get most of your top tier jewelery crafted by the 2nd chapter. There isn't very many sets of armor. The stat system is very bland and simplistic. The worst things about this game are the bugs and there are MANY!

This game is much better on the PC. It plays better and the graphics are much better. So if you have the option, then pick this up for your PC instead.

1. While Gothic sails away to other developers, Piranha Bytes turns the tide with this return to the origins of true RPG. Deep, polished, compelling, Risen is an RPG for RPG true lovers. Some small glitches and a general lack of accessibility make it step down a little bit on the score, but it's still THE game to have if you love RPGs.
    Risen is a successful RPG that looks really good and offers a lot of fun gameplay, which keeps you busy for hours and hours. However it's a pity that the game offers less innovation.
  3. Risen is actually a real shame because of its promises. The world looks great and it’s funny to explore, but developers didn't pay enough attention to essential aspects like the combat and character progression.