Rocksmith Xbox 360

8.2

1. Jan 3, 2012
    Artist "Muse" song "unnatural selection" Fret numbers are wrong, I have to play this song down a fret compared to what is on screen, the arrow is on red 5, i have to play red 4..........any one else have this problem? this is as far as i have made it so far, just wondering if there are any other songs with this problem?
  2. Oct 19, 2011
    TL;DR - This is not an advanced RBGH, its a guitar learning tool. It takes a little patience to learn guitar. If you're a gamer who wants to learn how to play guitar, then this game is for you. If you're already good at guitar, or you just want a harder GHRB, you should probably take a pass. For those who put in the effort though, this game is both rewarding and fun!

I see a lot of

I see a lot of reviews for this game that fall into two categories: people that expect this to be like RBGH but harder, and people who already know how to play guitar and want to shake their cane at the game and tell it to get off their lawn. Lets be clear: this is a guitar learning tool as much or more than it is a game. If that doesn't sound like something you want to play, then this isn't for you. If you're a gamer who wants to learn to play guitar and have fun in the process, go buy it right now.

I've been a casual player for over 15 years now but being self taught I am, by my own admission, terrible. I know some chords, a few riffs, but guitar doesn't come naturally to me like it does to some people. Lessons are expensive, and I don't have time for them anyway. With that in mind I thought Rocksmith seemed like the perfect way for me to learn. I couldn't have been more right.

I learned more in three hours of playing Rocksmith last night than in my last year of self teaching. Not only that, but I had fun doing it.

The songs are great, you can pick out a style for each one: chords, single notes, or combos (not all styles are in all songs). After going through the tutorial I loaded up House of the Rising Sun and played through all the chords, followed by Vasoline in single notes. It was awesome to see the game scale up as I learned parts of the songs, and then scale back down when I was over my head. I always felt like I was improving, but never wanted to quit out of frustration.

I also tried the minigames. Dawn of the Chordead (chord practice) was great fun, you have to play the right chords to keep yourself from being attacked by zombies. I picked up a couple of chords I didn't know, and got to kill zombies in the process! I also tried out Ducks (fretting practice) which was very addicting. Honestly, that game would be fun even if it wasn't teaching a skill.

My only complaint is that there isn't any gear unlocked in amp mode by default. It would've been nice to have a basic setup out of the box, but its a minor issue.

All in all: if you're a gamer who wants to learn guitar but cant afford or don't have time for lessons then Rocksmith is defiantly for you.

1. X-ONE Magazine UK
    Dec 1, 2012
    A novel idea and clever piece of kit, but indecision on whether it's a videogame or learning tool is a downfall, along with its confusing bespoke notation method. [Issue#91, p.82]
  2. Nov 20, 2012
    A great first step in a much needed new directions in the music game genre.
    You'd be mad to buy an electric guitar and not fork out for Rocksmith as well. [Dec 2012, p.95]