Rocksmith Xbox 360

8.2

1. Jan 3, 2012
    Artist "Muse" song "unnatural selection" Fret numbers are wrong, I have to play this song down a fret compared to what is on screen, the arrow is on red 5, i have to play red 4..........any one else have this problem? this is as far as i have made it so far, just wondering if there are any other songs with this problem?
  2. Dec 6, 2011
    I cannot give a full accounting of Rocksmith as I have only had it since last night at 7 pm. I have played it for about 2.5 hours so far so these are my early thoughts. It will be interesting to see how my experience develops with this.

At this point this appears to be a great tool to painlessly assist you in getting the fundamental patterns of rock guitar under your fingertips and it will help your time. While it won't give you a feel for playing with a band it will get you used to playing with other instruments. It will teach you some songs and it will show you some common patterns used in rock songwriting.

It may get you to play your guitar an hour or two a night.

Are those good things? I think so.

This thing is not going to teach your theory. It is not going to be better than disciplined study with a teacher or from well put together study material. It is not going to be any kind of be all or end all. If you are a serious student of guitar it is probably not the best use of your time. Of course Rocksmith is not going to teach you how to be creative.

The problem is that most people are not all that disciplined and this seems like an easy way to get you playing quite a bit. The more time spent with the guitar the better you will get. If you have the discipline to work through Berklee's Modern Method for Guitar you would get way more than you would from Rocksmith; however, most people don't have that kind of discipline.

All in all this appears to be a great tool.....you just need to see its limitations. It is not a be all or end all.

1. X-ONE Magazine UK
    Dec 1, 2012
    A novel idea and clever piece of kit, but indecision on whether it's a videogame or learning tool is a downfall, along with its confusing bespoke notation method. [Issue#91, p.82]
  2. Nov 20, 2012
    A great first step in a much needed new directions in the music game genre.
    You'd be mad to buy an electric guitar and not fork out for Rocksmith as well. [Dec 2012, p.95]