Saints Row IV Xbox 360

6.5

1. Aug 20, 2013
    Saints Row 3 got a 7.6, so that's what I should give this game, because it's honestly SR3 on steroids.
    While playing it, it feels like the developers took Saints Row 3, developed a super powers cheat code, added some sort of campaign, intended for it to be DLC, but then decided the should make a full retail and see the money start rolling...
    Oh wait, that IS what happened! I WOULD give
    Oh wait, that IS what happened!
    I WOULD give this game a 7/10, the same score SR3 got for being almost identical, but I'm giving it a 5 for literally trashing 90% of what SR3 tried to do.
    What the hell is even the point of upgrading/purchasing weapons and vehicles when you can just super sayan all over the place?
    This is the type of game that you can only enjoy in co-op where you're just dicking around with your friend and doing things without any goal or purpose, and that's pretty much what this game is.
    However, I DO NOT think this deserves a 2.8, the story isn't bad and I like the characters, except for a select few.
    However, I DO NOT recommend this game.
    You can literally find mods for Saints Row 3 with more content than this.
  2. Aug 22, 2013
    Saints Row IV is amazing! It's honestly a ton of fun. Don't be wavered by the fact that they recycled the city, there is a LOT more content in this game then there is in The Third. The character and car creator have been beefed up significantly and the super powers are awesome! Playing online with a friend is about as close to Justice League as it gets!
  3. Aug 28, 2013
    Hmm, good game I like it no doubt, but I feel as though it could have been a little better, I don't really like that the whole game takes place in the simulation. It all makes sense and all but I wanted to go back in the real world, or a world where all the simulation glitches weren't present. I hate the static on the people and cars, I enjoy customizing the cars but it's pointless sinceHmm, good game I like it no doubt, but I feel as though it could have been a little better, I don't really like that the whole game takes place in the simulation. It all makes sense and all but I wanted to go back in the real world, or a world where all the simulation glitches weren't present. I hate the static on the people and cars, I enjoy customizing the cars but it's pointless since half the time it just does it's simulation static. Also, to get rid of the powers, it would be nice if only select suits could give you the powers, I don't really like having the powers, I prefer shooting and bombing. If it wasn't for that I would have given it a 9.
    On the Xbox there is a few bugs, like not being able to see the rims when you customize a car in the gateway, (not sure if this applies to PC and PS).
  4. Sep 19, 2013
    After the amazing spectacle that was Saints Row The Third, I was incredibly excited to see Volition take the series a step further into the purely ludicrous. Unfortunately, Saints Row IV simply can't shake the fact that it started as a DLC add-on to its predecessor and as a result fails to deliver a memorable experience of its own.

As the story begins, the Saints are now in the White

As the story begins, the Saints are now in the White House with your titular main character taking the role of Commander in Chief. Not soon thereafter aliens invade and place the Saints in a Matrix-style computer simulation where most of the game takes place. This simulation is a virtual recreation of Steelport from SR3, and IV disappointingly brings nothing new to the table by way of setting. Not only is it the exact same layout from before, the entirety of the game takes place at night. Steelport didn't have a ton of personality to begin with, and shrouding the city in darkness certainly doesn't help that fact.

One of the primary selling points for Saints Row IV is the superpowers that you incrementally learn through the course of the game. It doesn't take long at all before you're sprinting faster than a race car, scaling buildings in a single bound, and shooting fireballs from your fingertips. The whole thing feels ripped right out of Prototype and Crackdown (complete with orbs scattered throughout the city to improve your abilities), and it's appropriately fun to fling yourself through the Steelport skyline at 100mph. However, the superpowers quickly become a double-edged sword.
    As soon as you get your increased mobility, there is absolutely no reason to drive a car again. In fact, there's hardly a reason to touch the ground again. The entire bottom-half of the world is forgotten as you bound from one objective to the other. So on top of the uninteresting setting shrouded in darkness, the game actively encourages you to only traverse the even less interesting building tops throughout your travels.

It seems like Volition realized this, so the game is peppered with constant and arbitrary reasons for you to lose your superpowers. These seem forced (because they are), and it's unfortunate that better reasons couldn't be found to keep your feet on the ground.

After all the powers run their course, however, Saints Row IV doesn't have much else to say. The story is needlessly stretched to full game length by repetitive missions and an over-emphasis on side-mission activities. What story there is doesn't hold water, either. I'd be lying if I said I didn't laugh often while playing SR IV, but it chooses to focus far too heavily on waxing nostalgic over providing a satisfying narrative. Everything follows a predictable path, and what should have been an epic clash to send off the series with a bang ends up being a redundant slog that presents its finale with a whimper.

The humor in Saints Row has always been one of its strongest suits, but even here things have taken a downturn. It seems like Volition has forgotten the difference between parody and reference, and as a result falls into the Matt Hazard trap of simply recreating tired video game tropes and then calling them out. It's the developers wanting to have their cake and eat it too, exploiting lazy design shortcuts (an overabundance of fetch quests comes to mind) and hoping to get away with it by pointing out how bad it is. This problem is pushed to its derivative limits through your spaceship and crew, which is a shameless rip off of the entire structure of Mass Effect 2 without even trying to be funny about it.

This is all irritating on its own, but the myriad of bugs and glitches were enough to send me over the edge. Throughout my playthrough, I encountered no less than 4 game breaking bugs which caused be to restart from a checkpoint or reboot the console entirely. From scripted events not triggering to NPC characters getting stuck in the game world to full on crashes, the entire experience felt sloppy and unstable. And no, the fact that it's set in a computer simulation is not an adequate excuse.

In the end, I feel that Saints Row IV would have been better staying as the DLC pack "Enter the Dominatrix" for a budget price. The recycled content, lackluster story and half-hearted execution make it impossible to recommend at the full $60 price point, even for die hard Saints Row fans.
  5. Aug 23, 2013
    This is a fun game but its pretty much a recycled version of the last game. if you like off the wall quirky games then i highly recommend but if you have the last game then your not missing much. aside from the superpowers your character has now that's about it. save your money and buy GTA in september
  6. Aug 27, 2013
    So after 30 hours I finally beat Saints Row 4. It was not at all what I expected but it was fun nonetheless. The big question though is; is it worth 60$? If not, what is it worth? Well graphically its the exact same as Saints Row 3, it feels the same it really does feel like an expansion pack. It was supposed to be one but THQ needed money so they turned it into a whole game. It feelsSo after 30 hours I finally beat Saints Row 4. It was not at all what I expected but it was fun nonetheless. The big question though is; is it worth 60$? If not, what is it worth? Well graphically its the exact same as Saints Row 3, it feels the same it really does feel like an expansion pack. It was supposed to be one but THQ needed money so they turned it into a whole game. It feels incomplete and lacks in an interesting story. Basically, for those wondering (very minute spoiler starting now)

basically its the matrix, you have a ship with your "homies" but you teleport to the city through a matrix like simulation experience. (spoilers over)

It doesn't sound great either. It is full of glitches and bad textures. Some of the guns go through your character while they run. A lot of things like that. It feels like a copy and paste game. Was it fun? Sort of. I only really had fun playing co-op with my friend.

As a whole is the game worth 60$. In short, no its really not. However, if you know what you're getting into and love a crazy game that makes no sense then sure go buy it.

In my opinion after having beat it and played the hell out of it, I wouldn't spend a dime over 30$ for it.; its just not worth it.

7. Aug 21, 2013
    Like Saints Row The Third, this is a fun game and a great way to kill time while waiting for the release of GTA V. That is the last time, however, those games should be mentioned in the same discussion. While this new iteration of SR adds some bells and whistles and offers up some downright clever pop-culture spoofs, it has the overall feel of an expansion pack and really displays a lackLike Saints Row The Third, this is a fun game and a great way to kill time while waiting for the release of GTA V. That is the last time, however, those games should be mentioned in the same discussion. While this new iteration of SR adds some bells and whistles and offers up some downright clever pop-culture spoofs, it has the overall feel of an expansion pack and really displays a lack of creative effort by Volition. Coming off such a terrific game as SR3, they really should have taken their time and followed up with something better. The aliens, like much of the new material, look like they were put together in a rush and many of the set-pieces are just rearrangements of missions from prior games. The graphics somehow have taken a step back and we are meant to believe the game is new simply because there are matrix-like ripples flowing over various city surfaces. Bottom-line: still a super fun game to play but there is nothing really new here and it will become tedious quickly. Not the follow-up most fans will and should be expecting. Expand
  8. Aug 26, 2013
    It isn't hard to see that SR4 was originally meant to be an expansion pack for SR3, but you can also see that the sheer amount of content is far too big for a single expansion. The only decision I question is why they decided to call it SR4? It feels more like a spin-off than proper sequel. Graphically I could say it's slightly worse than SR3 in some respects, ALLOT of graphical glitchesIt isn't hard to see that SR4 was originally meant to be an expansion pack for SR3, but you can also see that the sheer amount of content is far too big for a single expansion. The only decision I question is why they decided to call it SR4? It feels more like a spin-off than proper sequel. Graphically I could say it's slightly worse than SR3 in some respects, ALLOT of graphical glitches (no, not the intentional ones.) But they are forgivable and can easily be gotten rid of with a reload. If anything this games biggest flaw is that they reuse Steelport from SR3, same shops, vehicles, clothing, etc.

But criticism aside, it is more or less on par with SR3 in terms of fun. The super powers are fun as hell to use and you really do feel like a super hero most of the time. The humor and writing are ALLOT better than in SR3. Tons of easter eggs and references to other games. Voice acting is still phenomenal.

Overall: SR4 is not as good as previous titles, but is a worthy addition to the series. Like with SR3, as long as you don't take it too seriously and you don't expect too much, you will enjoy it.
  9. Dec 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Saints Row IV is an adequate sequel in the Saints Row series, but it has some flaws to be certain. The inclusion of super powers, the virtual reality world, the style of humor, the elimination of a regenerating health system, and the dynamics between the characters is rather something to behold, as they all bring life to a game series that, in all other instances, would have puttered out by now. However, the demotion of vehicles to little more than things in the way has detracted from the experience, as few players will have ANY reason to use cars in lieu of super powered speed running across the city. Various mechanics introduced in the game are dumped by the wayside after the next big thing is acquired (see: Wall jumping vs Wall running), followers and homies who do not have or get super powers are almost useless unless guarding a store. The disconnect between the Saints Row 3, where everyone who was a Saint was a living breathing person, and SR4 is glaringly obvious: I find it hard to sympathize with simulations that wear my colors. I find it hard to give a damn when I run over 30 pedestrians in a row now, especially when they can cough up health upon death. At least in the 3rd Saints Row I felt some niggling guilt over running them over. Now I'm doing it to heal back up. Volition could have really made me feel guilty over shutting the simulation down in the end if they had a system where recruited gang members could level up with you, given names, armor and weapons to use, and have them tag along throughout the game... maybe even to the game's conclusion. Instead, everyone isn't real (except for homies) and thus I have no reason to give a damn. The Store Hacking mini-game causes to game to grind to a halt rather abruptly and only serves to break the flow of the game. Cash infusions happen AFTER a set number of missions or activities are done rather than "hourly", meaning you have to play the same boring mini-games over and over again to get that dough, which is annoying to say the least. Speaking of which, the annoying "play these mini-games to get control of territory!!!" mechanic from Saints Row 3 is back with a vengeance, much to my chagrin. I don't want to play your stupid mini-games to GET territory: I wanna play mini-games to make some cash on the side, have fun, and maybe get some unique upgrades (like SR2). Weapon upgrades for non-alien weaponry don't matter in the long run, as you'll be restricted to alien weapons when rescuing crewmates in the real world, or in the final assault. Get familiar with alien weapons if you want guns that won't suck in the end. You have no choice in what weapons you bring into those missions either, and some missions force you to use other weapons you probably haven't upgraded, inflating the difficulty a bit. Some new additions to the game (such as the mech suit) don't get the ability to be upgraded until AFTER the story is beaten, defeating the purpose of getting upgrades to win. There's also some game breaking bugs that can ruin the experience for the player as well (notable example includes the Tanya glitch during Ben King's loyalty mission), and the fact that the story missions are limited and over before you know it. In fact, most of your game time will be either playing the really short story mission campaign, or playing the activities before getting on with the story. So 6 hours, or 16 hours. Take your pick. Given that this game is selling for around 50 bucks right now, and that you may not like the idea of having to play every single mini-game just to get cash or territory, you may feel ripped off in the end. Lastly, the DLC is horrendous and should be avoided. Don't let them take money from your wallet for low-grade, cobbled together DLC. In all, the game is good but suffers from some bad decisions and missed potential, and the fact that they took the mechanics from crackdown to make a sequel. Not to say they aren't fun, but they are not exactly original. And writing one's self out of the hole Volition piloted the series in ("Where do you go after Space?") could be difficult. 6/10 Expand
  10. Sep 9, 2013
    I dont know rather i should define Saints Row 4 as "quite good" or "okay". I loved the previous games in the series (especially Saints Row 2), and has always loved the storylines This is my first problem with Saints 4: I think it feels kindda out of place. Saints Row used to be a gangster game, so the storyline of Saints 4 is just a bit too crazy for me. I mean, im totally down with theI dont know rather i should define Saints Row 4 as "quite good" or "okay". I loved the previous games in the series (especially Saints Row 2), and has always loved the storylines This is my first problem with Saints 4: I think it feels kindda out of place. Saints Row used to be a gangster game, so the storyline of Saints 4 is just a bit too crazy for me. I mean, im totally down with the player being the president (thats awesome), but an alien attack? Thats a bit too much. Secondly, Saints 4 uses alot of assets from The Third, which makes it feel a bit cheap. Some aspects of Steelport has been changed up a bit, but never very much.

Well enough with the negative stuff: Saints Row IV did bring me alot of joy, mainly because of the awesome humor, a stronger storyline (compared to Saints 3) and all the awesome throwbacks to the older saints Row games. You'll find cars from Saints 1 and 2 now roaming the streets, characters from the first games, hell, you'll even visit the church from Saints Row 1 (Now thats cool!). The superpowers effectively mixes up the gameplay, and is very fun to play around with.

All in all, im giving Saints Row IV a 7, as it is a fun game with alot of awesome throwbacks, that unfortunately feels a bit too much like Saints Row The Third.
  11. Feb 20, 2015
    Having been elected president of the United States an alien invasion, played out in a fantastically over the top opening mission, sees the main protagonist and his gang trapped inside a virtual world. Using the resident I.T nerds hacking skills they are fortunately able to get access to all manner of superhero powers to add their escape.

The game is exactly as serious as all that sounds

The game is exactly as serious as all that sounds and for the opening few hours there is a lot of fun to be had, especially if playing co-op with a friend. Unfortunately it becomes pretty soon becomes clear that you've seen everything the game has to offer in those few hours and, thanks to said powers, the game is never able to offer any real sort of challenge. Had this been released as a budget expansion, as was originally planned, I may have been more forgiving but there is just not enough content to support a full length title.
  12. Aug 31, 2013
    Hell NO. This can't be called Saint's Row IV. It could be called Saint's Row The Third: Alien Expansion pack. And it should cost around 10 euors, NOT 60! This is not a new game, is just an heavy modified version of SRIII with aliens! Missions are boring, repetitive, the story is nice and the story missions are good, but i can't believe they sold this game as a new Saint's Row. Very disappointed.
  13. Sep 28, 2014
    Main story is fine but the challenges are rubbish. They are all over the place in complexity, aren't that much fun and some require luck. Glitches are really bad in most of these. Vehicles get stuck on stuff and cannot move, camera zooms into scenery, etc. As the game goes on it actually gets worse. It's like the devs who built the first half of the game were tired by the time theyMain story is fine but the challenges are rubbish. They are all over the place in complexity, aren't that much fun and some require luck. Glitches are really bad in most of these. Vehicles get stuck on stuff and cannot move, camera zooms into scenery, etc. As the game goes on it actually gets worse. It's like the devs who built the first half of the game were tired by the time they got to the end. However thought the last level should invert the controls and make the environment behave randomly should never be allowed to build a game again. I give the baseline game an 8 but with the stupid challenges and all the grind work with glitches it brings it down to a 5. This is my first and probably last visit to SR. Expand
  14. Jul 27, 2014
    While the game is pretty cool and yoy can customize weapons I noticed a whole lot of glitches.....ones that sgould he fixed in this game......................
  15. Sep 18, 2013
    Saints Row 4 is a great game, with a few setbacks. I love the superpowers, but they feel a little overpowered. It ruins over 25% of the customization in the game. Also, the graphics are reused, the story is short, and the side activities can get repetitive. Yet the game has good controls, an entertaining gameplay mechanic, and an all-around great story to progress through. While it isn'tSaints Row 4 is a great game, with a few setbacks. I love the superpowers, but they feel a little overpowered. It ruins over 25% of the customization in the game. Also, the graphics are reused, the story is short, and the side activities can get repetitive. Yet the game has good controls, an entertaining gameplay mechanic, and an all-around great story to progress through. While it isn't worth the full 60 dollars, it is a great game that should be considered when buying your next game. Expand
  16. Oct 12, 2013
    Don't want get Russian language? Take google translation.
    Don't want get Russian language? Take google translation.
    This is not what I originally expected. There are innovations own cybernetic atmosphere pleases many possible tuning a lot of weapons that you can customize the screen, but it seems that something is not right The third was a masterpiece and this can not be called so Too much emphasis on the superpowers that the cardinally change the whole gameplay Why steal the car if you run fast Why fly a plane if high jump and soar The leader of the Saints a clown, even in the second it was more pathos and he looked better. Mission to capture areas have changed and now they look like a chore. Well at least left the insurance fraud only with superpowers they pass very easily. Overall, not bad but not the fountain
  17. Oct 14, 2013
    This time round in SR i found that the game was much more compelling than the actual story, it just felt kinda lazy to me, the clothes you could buy where pretty much the same, th map is the same and really this just feels like a stretched out DLC for SR3 but it was fun cars where pretty much pointless since you had super speed and the Dub Step Gun is the greatest creation since Mr TootsThis time round in SR i found that the game was much more compelling than the actual story, it just felt kinda lazy to me, the clothes you could buy where pretty much the same, th map is the same and really this just feels like a stretched out DLC for SR3 but it was fun cars where pretty much pointless since you had super speed and the Dub Step Gun is the greatest creation since Mr Toots in Red Faction, alot of people will say there are a lot of glitches but the story is based inside a digitally engineered world that your messing with so glitches make sense and if they were not done purposefully then the digital world was a good way of hiding it on the whole this isn't a bad game its a good game but i still waiting for the proper sequel to follow SR2 and continue to fight Ultor headed by Dex but i guess i'm never going to see that Expand
  18. Oct 25, 2013
    saints row has always been a series that revels in madness and the next installment (which is the weakest in the series bar the first) is no exception, the game has the greatest customization options that i have ever seen in a video game, the best of which is the car customization. the missions are mostly fun but some are simply annoying, they are jam-packed full of references and jokes,saints row has always been a series that revels in madness and the next installment (which is the weakest in the series bar the first) is no exception, the game has the greatest customization options that i have ever seen in a video game, the best of which is the car customization. the missions are mostly fun but some are simply annoying, they are jam-packed full of references and jokes, like the streets of rage spin off level. the superpowers (which are meant to be a major selling point of the game) were a massive hindrance and make other aspects of the game pointless, there is no reason to customize a car, or even steal one. there is no reason to call in your homies when they can't even keep up with you and you can deal with all of the enemies on your own. alot of the jokes in the game fall flat which is to be expected but it happens way to often to be ignored. i will say however the music in the game is, as always great and when it uses it in the story it is always perfectly placed. all in all the game is just very par the course and any really good things they added are just far overshadowed by the many failures the game has (i haven't even mentioned the pipe dream mini-games) but, just because it's a saints row game, it kind of works. Expand
  19. Jan 11, 2014
    Saints row 4 has to be the worst of the series because its losing touch to the previous saints row games were the 3 one to it to its limits. even though this game was really fun, its just doesn't feel like a saints row game anymore. so a 7?
  20. Jul 8, 2014
    The game IS fun, like its predecessor, that's undeniable.
    But the story...who the hell wrote that ? Nothing makes sense and everything is given a bad explanation.
    The game presents just a few innovations, up being more glitching than The Third, that's just annoying.
    We can see how the producers of this game didn't make anything about The Third problems.
  21. Oct 8, 2014
    Why.WHY!WWWWWHHHHHHYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    i loved saints row 2 and 1, but when you get crazyer than SAINT ROW 3...I don't know what to say to that.
    Why.WHY!WWWWWHHHHHHYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    the game in itself is good,kind of ripping of prototype,but I can forgive that because there is many things setting it apart from prototype.the controls feel nice and rarely do i find problems with that.super powers are well balanced and weapons are very fun to use.the city of steelport,however, is not fun to play in.the map was bad in sr3,so why use it again.oh, and no zombies...yeah.the game also tries to keep its distance from sr1 and 2.Why,because those games were better,which means they should be forgotten of out of fear you will hate sr4,which i am.customization on sr3 and 4 is much more limited compared with sr 2 and even 1.instead of undershirts,overshirts,and coats, we get upper body.NO!!!!!
    I don't want to look stupid if I dont want to.I do like dressing silly, but not always.
    also sr1 and 2 were gangster games,sr3 is a gang parody, and sr4 is a sci fi game.Why?because people will by saints row, but a new ip may not be liked.i perfer sr1 and to by a lot,but sr 4 is not as good as a saints row game...but as a different game,not having to do with the saints row franchies ,it is great. controls feel good and every thing runs smooth.I don't know what the fps is but my guess is 60 fps most of the time.the game isn't exactly ugly,though not winning any awards.though most of the time you will see lots and lots of blue.There is a huge verity in weapons.over all, the game is good.Not as good as sr1 and 2,but still descent as its own thing.not the best game 2013 by a lot.i recommend this game to tps lovers,sandbox lovers,and sr 3 fans.if you loved sr 1 and 2,you'll hate the game,and i hate it too,but the game is fun.you should only hate it compared to sr2 and 1.it may be limited in customization and story(which i wont spoil),but the game is still fun.

1. Hyper Magazine
    Oct 3, 2013
    It may not blow your mind graphically and has some niggling issues, but this is easily the most fun you can have with you clothes on, or pixelated off. [Nov 2013, p.60]
  2. games(TM)
    Sep 23, 2013
    Volition needs to plan its next steps carefully, or run the risk of losing the fan base it has worked so hard to claw away from those that didn't quite click with GTA IV. [Issue#139, p.86]
  3. Sep 20, 2013
    If it were released as a "mega expansion pack" Saints Row IV would have been a "must buy". As it is it can only be recommended to die-hard fans of the franchise.