8.7

1. Sep 7, 2010
    An amazing game. No doubt about it this is the best arcade game ever and I got it when it was half-price!
    I had it for only a month though and I got 100% completion so now the campaigns pointless as I have unlimited everything and i'm pretty much unkillable. BUT, there is also awesome challenges to keep you occupied and these and the campaign all look gorgeous. So get this game no matter
    what the cost, i'm just lucky I got it half price. :D Expand
  2. Oct 6, 2010
    For the first half-hour of this game I got that sinking feeling - that feeling unique to DLC and downloaded games that comes because you know that you can't re-sell it or get a refund. Perhaps because of that very reason I decided to plough on, if only to get my money's worth. I've never been more grateful for my miser tendencies.

Shadow Complex is a very good game. It's a perfect blend
    of platforming and puzzle-solving; just challenging enough to test you, and interesting enough to make you come back for me. Each chapter rewards you with an upgrade that entices you to carry on with anticipation of what powers and abilities the next upgrade might offer. Every challenge in the game, from the puzzles to the boss fights, tests your use of these upgrades and are designed to acquaint you with your new powers. People have said it rips-off Metroid. I see it in the same way I view Dead Space - a game that takes the best components of its genre and merges them together into a whole that is greater than the sum of all its parts. I hesitate to give it a 9/10 because it is a little on the short-side, although, perhaps if it was any longer it might have become tedious, so maybe that's unfair of me. A longer, slightly more difficult final boss would certainly have raised it from an 8/10, as it felt a tad anti-climatic. Nevertheless, it's easily my favourite game on XBL. Expand
  3. Apr 28, 2011
    9/10 = Amazing = Tons of replay value, and overall a very fun game. I still prefer the metroid's and castlevania's of the world though. Horrifyingly bad story.
  4. Aug 5, 2013
    A 3D game played on a 2D plane Shadow Complex takes a few minutes to get the hang of but its addictive gameplay will quickly suck in most gamers that give it a go. Truth be told much of what the game does has been seen before in other, more famous, titles. The games structure for example is taken straight from the Metroid series with more and more areas been opened up as you acquire new weapons.

Despite this I had an enormous amount of fun during the six or so hours to it took me complete it. The game is fast paced and, after a little practice, the controls quickly become second nature. On the normal difficulty setting it provides a decent challenge without ever become frustratingly hard and, unlike a few other titles I could name, it’s relatively short running time means it never outstays its welcome.

It won’t be a contender for greatest game ever but at 1200 (about £10) this is an absolute steal.
  5. May 15, 2011
    Great game. My only complaint is aiming at the enemies in the background is very difficult. But once you get the rocket launcher that becomes a lot easier. Also, the story, while good, isn't ver in depth. Other than that, it is one of the more enjoyable games I've played with some of the best gameplay.
  6. Jun 3, 2013
    This is my most favorite game of all time. This game blew my brains out... it took me back to old school roots and had a new school flavor to it. I can't stress enough how badly this game needs a sequel and for it to be on Steam. The fun factor of this game is A+. The controls are fantastic it just feels right. I love this game so much that after beating it, I beat it again... and then after that I simply took a previous save point before the final boss so I could explore every detail of the game. The fire of this game was put out by it's own company, Chair, because of their desire to enter the iPhone market with a $hitty game called Infinity Blade... then made part 2. I wish there was a petition to get this game going again, Shadow Complex makes all games look like Expand
  7. Oct 24, 2011
    An amazing 2.5D shooter that combines Golden Eye with Super Metroid for a fun, yet disappointingly short, experience. The voice cast was good and the enemies were a good challenge, but next time give the game some depth. Seriously, if I hadn't got stuck on a few parts I could have finished this in 4 hours tops. Let's hope a good sequel will solve all the petty little problems that kept this gem from being a diamond. Expand
  8. Oct 2, 2013
    Awesome Metroidvania type of game. One of the most fun games I've played. Game design is excellent. I loved the mix of 2d with 3d. Sometimes the controls can be frustrating though...the character doesn't do what you want him to do.
  9. Oct 4, 2014
    If you grew up like me, loving classic's like; Super Metroid, Castlevania and Bionic Commando then you will love this game!. I purchased during XBLA weekend sale for 4.50! Best 4.50 spent in my life! Highly, highly recommended, no matter the price!
  10. Jan 14, 2013
    Taking the classic Metroidvania formula into 2.5d, Shadow Complex's high points shine through, but so do it's faults. The game allows to player to move in only 2 dimensions, but provides 3 dimensional interaction. Enemies will assault players from both the foreground and the background, and players can let the game aim for them, or use the right stick to aim themselves. The shooting controls are not without fault, and can seem clumsy and imprecise to new players. Where the game shines however, is it's level design and progression. The game makes very good use of space, allowing several paths to be taken through most encounters. There are also more than a few pickups that require exceptional skill and forethought to obtain. The progression through the game is absolutely sublime, players go from a poor schmuck way in over his head to a veritable super soldier, the early gameplay does well to compliment this as well, with plenty of light stealth until a better weapon is found. Players are armed with a flashlight from the beginning, which, like the X-ray visor of it's predecessor inspirations, allow you to see the weaknesses of objects. Unfortunately the music is a forgettable score of chord swells and harmonies, and the story resembles putting Nathan Drake of Uncharted fame into a project heavily inspired by Kojima's Metal Gear series. Bland characters fall to the far background and a forgettable antagonist that tries to be sinister lives in the shadow of his impressive and massive complex. Expand
  11. Mar 5, 2013
    The game is a 2.5 D side scroller, which means that your character moves only in 2 dimensions but the world is rendered in 3D. One weird aspect of this is that you can shoot in 3D, but the controls do not allow for aiming in 3D leading to thumb crunching guess work in such situations. At one point, instead of lobbing my precious grenades and rockets at the massive 60 foot monster machine, i ended up blowing away foot soldiers because of the auto-aim in 3D. But mostly, it works well, and adds depth in the massacre when working with the unlimited ammo gun. Yep the gun is unlimited ammo. I'm kind of ambivalent about this one one hand, it enables a very satisfying romp through the scenes with the trigger pressed down, but on the other it takes away from the challenge.

Speaking of which, I set the difficulty to my usual (Max 1), which proved to be far too easy once the upgrades started kicking in. So if that's your usual setting, crank it up to max difficulty. You'll soon get used to it.

The game has 2 options for play "Campaign" and "Proving Grounds". DO NOT start the tutorial. Read that again DO NOT start the tutorial. Jump straight into the campaign mode. The campaign mode has an excellent staged, contextual learning system built in. Going through the tutorials reveals all the upgrades and takes away from the satisfaction of mastering the abilities on the fly. You can come back to the "Proving Grounds" to complete the challenges and try to beat your own score.

The campaign mode follows the story of Jason Fleming, and his girlfriend who go hiking and discover the well.. "Shadow Complex". The plot line is acceptable if a little cliched, but the acting and cut scenes are hilariously overacted and scripted. They would have been "camp" funny if the characters didn't take themselves so seriously. There's an inexplicable Jason's Dad angle which i don't quite get. Maybe it's a setup for the sequel. Simply put find bad guy, which is everyone except yourself, and kill them. Some classics don't need to be improved upon.

I've come around to the firm belief that everything is more fun with a projectable grappling hook. It worked for Just Cause, and it worked wickedly well for Earthworm Jim. Shadow Complex is no exception. It's particularly satisfying to pull away the shield from an enemy using the hook.

The game manages to balance the main story line and the scavenging aspect fairly well. I cannot be usually bothered to scrounge around for every little bob-end for an infinitesimal upgrade to my already formidable powers. Shadow complex excels at this by a) Making the discovery of upgrades particularly satisfying as they are hidden away well, and its not a matter of a marathon trek across deserted scapes. You actually have to think a little bit. It all becomes easier with the hook. and b) Making the upgrades worthwhile. It's not another doohickey to make my gun shine with a ruby attachment. Most of the upgrades simply but usefully increase the amount of ammo i can carry, hence increase the number of people i can kill without re-loading. That's EXACTLY what i want from an upgrade.

Something that completely baffles me, though, is why in the world did they not stick to the usual control mechanism for shooters left joystick for aim, right trigger for shooting. It's know to work. Why muck around. Now we end up with my already overloaded right hand to do aim shoot with RT and shoot deadlier stuff with the RB. All while I'm standing still and my left hand hanging limp on that side, while the right hand is in advanced stages of carpal tunnel syndrome.

My absolute favourite part is the gameplay. It's incredible how many big name titles get this wrong. It's even in the name G A M E P L A Y. All the visual imagery and pimple detail in high res is useless if the game isn't playable. Shadow complex is a great example of gameplay done right. The movement is quick, without any loading screens. Most situations have multiple solutions each of them equally satisfying. At one point I even managed to beat the game bypassing a crucial step simply through ingenuity. This isn't about my massively reticulated brain, but the fact that the game allows you to do stuff that even the designers had not anticipated. Its speaks volumes of the game engine more than anything else.

To wrap it up great game play, stock plot line, hacky dialogue, fantastic upgrade system and some innovative weapons (The creative possibilities of the foam gun are practically limitless), and no loading screens! I finished the main story line in a couple of evenings amounting to about 14 hours of serious gameplay. This included about 60% of item discovery. About five minutes into the game I had forgotten that this is a 800 Meg download.
  12. Jun 3, 2013
    While it doesn't have tons of replay value, Shadow Complex is an entertaining diversion if you're looking for something to play. It doesn't particularly innovate in any way, but it's a fun Metroid-style game with modern gadgets and guns.
  13. Jan 18, 2014
    Shadow Complex captures the essence of Metroidvania games and has some very great upgrades to boot. Excellent sense of progression, interesting plot great exploration and a good combat system. This game is probably the best XBLA game you can get.

1. A perfect working mix between fights and exploration: high rhythm, never boring. You're going to feel pure fun as if you're back again playing coin-up, being stuck with your pad, achievement after achievement, enjoying it for hours. Nothing more to ask from a game such this.
  2. A stunningly-executed, modern-day Super Metroid.
  3. It's a game that will delight gamers old enough to recognise the classics it celebrates, while captivating those oblivious to its inspirations.