8.3

1. Jun 25, 2011
    This game is what Duke Nukem Forever should have been. Its funny, creative, and entertaining. It is also very rude and very graphic, so this game is not for the easily offended or the faint of heart. The one main draw of this game is its linearity, however, it is not enough to hurt the overall experience. Good game: A-
  2. Jun 23, 2011
    Wow, great job Grasshopper. I was skeptical when first hearing about this development. Although my 8 year old son should not play this, due to the crude language, he will just have to stay in his room haha. Excellent game play and such a diverse game that I have never seen before...and I have played many games. The bowling alley scene is genius, props to whoever came up with that. These level designers must be highly experienced to say the least. Although It would of been nice to drive that car. I mean c'mon lol. Whomever is the designer or team who creatively summed that bowling scene should teach other companies how to add a little spin and the unexpected to video games. Great job Grasshopper, great job. Expand
  3. Jul 17, 2011
    This game is like a super stylized mixture of Silent Hill, Resident Evil 4, and The Evil Dead movies (even a level is titled 'As Evil As Dead' in tribute to Sam Raimi's trilogy). Like Ash from The Evil Dead (particularly in The Army of Darkness), Garcia (the protagonist of this game) is extremely full of himself and throws out one liners - most of which are original. In a way his pride can be compared to Duke Nukem's, except he is ten times more badass than Duke Nukem, and all of his one liners don't come directly out of movies (Nukem's one liners are borrowed straight from roles of Bruce Campbell, and most are even from The Evil Dead trilogy - "Hail to the king, baby") So really, this is a more original, more well-thought out, much funner and funnier version of Duke Nukem - though I wouldn't compare it to it other than the main character's pride. Garcia is much more lovable than Nukem, and this game is much better too. So much of this game feels so fresh, and though there are certainly some flaws (you have to shoot boxes and waste ammo instead of being able to bash them with your torch, and once you beat the game there's not much else to do with the game) it feels great. This game has so many moments of unexpectedness, some are little scares, like how at the beginning there's an army of severed heads that just comes rolling down this hill, or how three levels of the game are these 2D paper cutout levels with this sort of brilliant vintage music playing. Akira Yamaoka is definitely one of the most brilliant composers, and this game has a large variety of his capabilities - horror music, atmospheric music, rock, and that cool vintage (sort of Scooby Doo sounding) music. The game is dark, but funny and action packed. It really is worth getting and feels like a classic game that they just don't make anymore. Shadows of the Damned is, by far, one of the most worthy games of anyone's purchase for the 360 (and PS3) out now. Expand
  4. Jun 23, 2011
    This game is awesome! I just completed it, and i enjoyed every single bit of it. The game is triggered to a niche crowd, but if you follow Grasshopper and Suda51 you will enjoy this game. It reminds me of a lot of things. It has the resident evil, vampire hunter d, and grindhouse influence. If you want a awesome, crazy, gory and funny game and want to get away from all the military shooters out there, this game will definitely do the job :) Props to Suda51, Shinji Mikami, and Grasshopper Studios for bringing us an excellent experience. Expand
  5. Sep 5, 2011
    This game seems like a mix of Dante's Inferno's save your girlfriend from hell scenario, with Resident Evil 4's targeting mode, Duke Nukem's humor, and with exploration with the style of Fable.
  6. Sep 11, 2011
    I had low expectations of the game when I bought it.I was very surprised. It's turning out to be one of my favourite games of 2011. This game is so underrated!
    Graphical designs of the environments is outstanding.Not forgetting the nice catchy tunes & bone chilling audio. It's adult-themed jokes may put some people off, but it was totally unique & funny to me. Definitely should've gained
    more recognition! Expand
  7. Apr 30, 2012
    Both funny, creative and straight-up great fun - Shadows of the Damned is a game that any gamer should play. The constant evolution of your arsenal and the continuous introduction of more challenging demons keeps this game fresh and prevents its linear game play from getting too tedious.
  8. Jun 26, 2011
    This is one great game. Its a nice break from all the serious shooters out there now. Be warned: this game is loaded with jokes and vulgarity. Its still a good game. The only flaw is that some parts are very difficult. other than that, great game. This is how shooters should be made. (PS if you like this game, try No More Heroes)
  9. Jun 26, 2011
    I've been playing games simce 1985 so I'm getting kinda bored with all the military shooters and same old same old going on with games right now. If your new to games in the past decade and think whatever your playing is origional chances are it's been done dozens of times in the past. It takes something really special to stand out in the mainstream industry these days and trust me when I say that this was it. I rented this because I had no idea what it was going to be about as it hasn't recieved much buzz in the past few months. I just finished the game and I'm buying it tomorrow as it's worth every cent . I was absolutely floored till the credits rolled. Best origional Japanese developed game in years! I'm not gonna go into details except to say it's like RE4 on crack and any hardcore gamer needs to check this out as it is certainly the first sleeper hit of the summer. Expand
  10. Jun 27, 2011
    Clamoroso... Gioco da prendere. ASSOLUTAMENTE. Clamoroso... Gioco da prendere. ASSOLUTAMENTE. Clamoroso... Gioco da prendere. ASSOLUTAMENTE. Clamoroso... Gioco da prendere. ASSOLUTAMENTE. Clamoroso... Gioco da prendere. ASSOLUTAMENTE. Clamoroso... Gioco da prendere. ASSOLUTAMENTE. Clamoroso... Gioco da prendere. ASSOLUTAMENTE. Clamoroso... Gioco da prendere. ASSOLUTAMENTE. Clamoroso... Gioco da prendere. ASSOLUTAMENTE. Clamoroso... Gioco da prendere. ASSOLUTAMENTE. Clamoroso... Gioco da prendere. ASSOLUTAMENTE. Expand
  11. Aug 28, 2011
    Shadows of the Damned is like a whipped cream chocolate smoothie, you mix all those awesome ingredients and get that fresh, cold and tasty blend of sheer satisfactory and freshness, it's surely that one game that stands alone despite the fact that it comes from the horror driven third person shooter genre, which recently dropped from the top of the industry.
  12. Sep 9, 2011
    While Shadows of the Damned is not without its problems â
  13. Jan 12, 2012
    What a crazy, awesome piece of entertainment! I was not able to put this game down for 3 days straight, because I had such a blast playing it. Imagine Alan Wake's gameplay and a setting a la From Dusk Till Dawn. The back-and-forth dialog between the protagonist and his demon skull/ weapon/ torch / motorcycle is so fantastically written - I laughed out loud several times. Definitely among my Top 5 of 2011! Expand
  14. Feb 5, 2012
    This game was a true treat to play. To me,this game filled out the criteria for what a game that wants to be out there should be like. Here is a game that plays a lot like RE4, with the music of Silent Hill thanks to Akira Yamaoka. Also Suda 51 brings his weird ideas to the stage for us to enjoy. I never experienced texture pop-ins or any other graphical issues that reviewers did. The story was entertaining and so were the characters. The ONE and only reason this isn't a 10, is because there is no chapter select or new game plus. However if you want a truly unique experience then look no further. Expand
  15. Feb 7, 2013
    EA's one in a blue moon's published games where it is AWESOME! (Other than BF3 and Syndicate and the Dead Space Games and Crysis 2.) This game is horror and humor all mixed together! Suda's charm and Shinji Mikami's awesome horror elements combine here to be a fantastic game! In my opinion, this game should be Resident Evil 5 and 6 combined because this FEELS LIKE A Resident Evil game!
  16. Sep 28, 2013
    Simply just perfect game with awesome world and really funny moments. Main character and his companion have so funny conversations, its really great. I can forgive some glitches and stuffs because of that, im really enjoying it! You should try it and soundtrack is god damn awesome!
  17. Nov 14, 2012
    Damn this game was fun! Resident Evil crossed with some insane nightmare! Do i recommend this game YES! should you go out and buy it! YES! The ending was amazing. Get it now!

1. Dec 12, 2011
    Short of the opening music, which is awesome and sounds like a demonic mariachi band, I can't think of many redeeming qualities in Shadows of the Damned. It's not in the same craptastic league as Thor, which suffered from horrible gameplay and production values; it's just a waste of time.
  2. Oct 19, 2011
    This weird exploitation version of Alan Wake is filled with dirty jokes and interesting scenery. Unfortunately the dull controls make the game situated in hell feel like it's from hell. If you can get past the clunky controls and cramped level design, the game is quite good substitute while the next Resident Evil is in the making. [Aug 2011]
  3. Sep 16, 2011
    The weapons feel great, it's fun to navigate the levels, and some of the boss fights are pretty fun. Shadows of the Damned has a comfortable base level, it just lacks the peaks to make it great.