7.8

1. Apr 2, 2014
    I got this when it was given away for free over the XBox Live Gold giveaway, did I like it? Not really. I will warn you, you can't relate it to it's far superior Civilization brothers on the PC if you want the most enjoyment out of this title, however I did because it is a port. The stacks in the game are pretty much how you'll win your battles, and the battle AI is idiotic for meleeI got this when it was given away for free over the XBox Live Gold giveaway, did I like it? Not really. I will warn you, you can't relate it to it's far superior Civilization brothers on the PC if you want the most enjoyment out of this title, however I did because it is a port. The stacks in the game are pretty much how you'll win your battles, and the battle AI is idiotic for melee units, sometimes on attack your men will stand around strafing with archers firing at them, while on attack. Diplomacy is shallow, the most you can do is trade knowledge for gold, no alliances, defensive pacts, or trade agreements, just selling knowledge. There's little to no reason for real estate, you pretty much put a settler down, and you get the surrounding areas production science and gold, no strategic or luxury resources to hoard from your enemies. Most of the time you will end up with a domination victory due to how easy it is on lower levels, but on higher ones you will want to NEVER meet another civilization. The way ranged combat works is pathetic, making planes and any melee unit completely unneeded. The science system isn't at all well made, most of the time you advance to get little to nothing. Unit upgrades are actually well done with many different ways of going, such as medic being able to heal anywhere, guerrilla giving you bonuses on home territory, and one that makes you where you can move 2 squares at once. The Economy in the game, is idiotic often making you trade away knowledge for it, instead of having ways to get both with one city for people that enjoy playing as small compact civilizations. You can get any unit you have ever discovered, and again this ends up being a little suspicious, by this I mean archers with bow and arrows are good enough to take out bombers, fighter planes, and sometimes tanks if they have enough bonuses. The build-able wonders sometimes have little to no benefit, or break the game, like giving you a single nuclear device, or simply giving you a future technology instead of making you go down the tech tree. The culture system is as basic as it gets and it seems that it's well done enough for a bit until you realize that every wonder you construct gets you closer and closer to a culture victory, but that isn't a big deal if you are going for a different victory because you can simply not construct the UN. Although after all this, I feel they did their best, it's difficult getting something native to PC like this onto a console, especially when it's so complex as a Civilization game, and at times don't get me wrong it is enjoyable and has some advantages over even Civilization V, such as the armies system where you can stack 3 units of the same type to create an army, and as well as being able to sell knowledge, but EVERYTHING else is dumbed down, and overall kind of boring. Civilization Revolution is a buggy mess and lacks what make the PC editions so great and it pains me to hell being a fan of Firaxis' to say that. It earns it's 3/10 not by dumbing down things, but ripping them from their core and then some. I am SolarGaming reviews and I approve this message. Expand
  2. JasonF.
    Aug 17, 2008
    I didn't think it was possible to mess the online multiplayer for 360 up so bad. This was the only reason I bought it and thet really made it bad. From long waits to spazzes to freezing it overall really sucks.
  3. Dec 10, 2012
    Terrible game at higher levels...the AI cheats take any fun out of the game
    The developers took the easy way out. Rather than perfect better strategies they just set up the game to cheat like hell.
    Like playing chess against an opponent who can change the rules whenever they want
  4. EricN.
    Jul 14, 2008
    Good single-player, but CANNOT save multi-player games! Who have time to play six hours in one sitting?
  5. get4ked
    Jul 17, 2008
    I am very disappointed with this game I would rather play Civ 4 for another year than play this game any more. P.S. there better be a kicka** expansion pack.
  6. CarlosS.
    Jul 16, 2008
    Good single player, but wayy too short. I would love the option to keep playing after victory conditions are met.Not cool to have ur glorious empire abruptlly end.
  7. MarionS.
    Jun 27, 2008
    Though an inspiring effort to bring this series to console precludes a zerio rating, this game either fails or eeks by in offering those elements of strategy and tactical control that are, unfortunately, also missing from pretty much all the other "strategy" offerings on console.
  8. JuliusS.
    Jul 17, 2008
    The single player is fine. But if you are looking to play with a friend online, forget it. There is NO option to save at ANY time during a multiplayer game. This means you and your friend(s) will have to play the game through to completion, period. This is ridiculous. I can't believe the game is getting such good reviews and they do not mention this HUGE problem with the game. The The single player is fine. But if you are looking to play with a friend online, forget it. There is NO option to save at ANY time during a multiplayer game. This means you and your friend(s) will have to play the game through to completion, period. This is ridiculous. I can't believe the game is getting such good reviews and they do not mention this HUGE problem with the game. The only thing I can think of is that the multiplayer was disabled when mags reviewed it, so they didn't know. Single player is great, but if you are looking to play with a group, you'll be disappointed. Expand
  9. Apr 8, 2015
    How anybody can think this game is good has no clue. try playing at higher levels and the game disregards its own rules and basically cheats. This game sucks. Units from ai's are built more than 3 times the speed you can. science is created 5 times as fast by ai's as soon as you start to dominate one area or continent even if they only have 2 cities. Obviously the people giving the highHow anybody can think this game is good has no clue. try playing at higher levels and the game disregards its own rules and basically cheats. This game sucks. Units from ai's are built more than 3 times the speed you can. science is created 5 times as fast by ai's as soon as you start to dominate one area or continent even if they only have 2 cities. Obviously the people giving the high ratings have not made it past warlord. Expand

1. This slick new Civilization may be more reduction than Revolution, but it's easily one of the most distinctive games on 360 and PS3. I can't see myself playing much more of the single-player, but I genuinely cannot wait to war over landmass with a few like-minded chums.
  2. While far from as deep as the PC games, Revolution is a fine achievement, extremely accessible and great fun to play.
  3. Old diehard fanatics will no doubt shake their fists at the slight console-friendly tweaks of the original formula and the light-hearted nature of the graphics – but hey, it’s successfully infecting a whole new generation of gamers with Civ love, so get over it.