7.8

Aug 5, 2008
    I ended up downloading the demo for the Xbox 360 and ended up turning it off after about 30 minutes. While I've played Civilization II through IV on the PC, the game felt too different, harder to control (when you're used to the NumPad, it's hard to switch to the thumbstick) and the city building was confusing. The technology tree was so much different than its PC I ended up downloading the demo for the Xbox 360 and ended up turning it off after about 30 minutes. While I've played Civilization II through IV on the PC, the game felt too different, harder to control (when you're used to the NumPad, it's hard to switch to the thumbstick) and the city building was confusing. The technology tree was so much different than its PC components that I was a bit frustrated that when I got a technology that I thought would give me a unit/building I wanted and it wasn't there. I remember being aghast at the fact that you had to research a technology to build a barracks. The advisers were a bit annoying and "childish" (for lack of a better word). While I'm sure they reduced the amount of time it takes to complete a game, Civilization IV did that as well. I can easily play a full space race game in about 5 or 6 hours. If you like the PC versions, I would caution against buying the console version until after you've tried the demo out first. Collapse
  2. Apr 27, 2014
    A game with potential but falls short where it counts. The game looks gorgeous, sounds great, and the menus and interface are structured very well. The Civilopedia and Tech Planner are well constructed and intuitive and reports and database resources are plentiful. It's easy to fall in love with this game in tutorial mode. However, once you start exploring the rest of the game, you quicklyA game with potential but falls short where it counts. The game looks gorgeous, sounds great, and the menus and interface are structured very well. The Civilopedia and Tech Planner are well constructed and intuitive and reports and database resources are plentiful. It's easy to fall in love with this game in tutorial mode. However, once you start exploring the rest of the game, you quickly run into issues with core elements. One of the biggest is the AI. At higher levels you'll find the computer achieving very lopsided victories. The AI can also restock ships with armies and refuel planes without returning home. So a ship can sit outside your city and attack you with unlimited armies. Also, it seems the computer is always attacking the human player; you'll see few battles between other countries, while all your "allies" gather at your doorstep early in the game. Also, some of the civilization perks are unbalanced. The maps are small and it's easy to feel claustrophobic which removes the fun of exploring unless you build a ship. If you can get the game at a discount, it's worth checking it out. Expand
  3. Oct 29, 2010
    I'm going to keep this simple. If you're looking for a world domination game on a console, then look no farther than Civ Rev. It does what it set out to to do: Bring a fun Civ iteration to the console. But if at all possible, just go with a PC version. This is a port and you can tell. If feels a bit dumbed down and shallow. The developers should be credited that they pulled off whatI'm going to keep this simple. If you're looking for a world domination game on a console, then look no farther than Civ Rev. It does what it set out to to do: Bring a fun Civ iteration to the console. But if at all possible, just go with a PC version. This is a port and you can tell. If feels a bit dumbed down and shallow. The developers should be credited that they pulled off what they did, and at this juncture the game is commendable. To ask any more of them would be selfish, but to say this game is great is over selling it. Expand
  4. Dec 25, 2013
    A good fun console adaptation that will never truly do justice to the magnificent pc strategy series of civilization, In my honest opinion you are better off just sticking to one of the more complicated but immeasurably better pc titles. But if you really want to play it, go for it as it certainly isn't a bad game.
  5. Feb 25, 2014
    Civ Rev is the best empire building strategy game on the consoles, but not the best strategy game of all time or compared to pc titles. Civ Rev, is essentially the epic Civilization built specially for consoles. It does a decent job, but it dumbs down some features including building types, civilizations, units and technologies. Also, it focuses strongly on combat instead of allowing youCiv Rev is the best empire building strategy game on the consoles, but not the best strategy game of all time or compared to pc titles. Civ Rev, is essentially the epic Civilization built specially for consoles. It does a decent job, but it dumbs down some features including building types, civilizations, units and technologies. Also, it focuses strongly on combat instead of allowing you to chose how to play like other civilizations, to make it more console friendly. It doesn't have the depth or same articulate management of the pc versions, hard core strategy gamers might get a kick out of civ rev, but if you are a casual player looking for a unique console experience, this game is designed fro you. Expand
  6. MattP.
    Aug 1, 2008
    I don't get the fact that it is soooooo short. Just as you're getting into it and your civilization is flourishing the game ends. Each turn is 50 years for gods sake!!
  7. Kyle
    Feb 14, 2009
    This is a good game, if you leave aside all previous civilization games, but otherwise, civilization did not live up to sandards. The top 5 mistake i found were: 5. Cpu agressiveness - If you aren't recieving a death threat every two turns in this game, you either have a ridiculuosly vast army or you're the guy with the nuke. Its impossible to stay out of war, because even when This is a good game, if you leave aside all previous civilization games, but otherwise, civilization did not live up to sandards. The top 5 mistake i found were: 5. Cpu agressiveness - If you aren't recieving a death threat every two turns in this game, you either have a ridiculuosly vast army or you're the guy with the nuke. Its impossible to stay out of war, because even when you give your hard earned technology, great people, or gold, in 4 turns they demand more. Gets very aggravatiing. 4. No "workers" - You're probably familiar with the worker concept - find the resource, build a road to it, and construct the appropriate contraption for extracting the resource. In CivRev, there are no workers, and resources just float themselves to you i suppose, once you discover them. Which means in PC versions, if you liked being "the guy with all the oil" In CivRev, there is no such title. 3. One way highway on death threats - Not only do they come at you every 2 turns demading everything, but if you're the guy who should be throwing the threats, too bad. From playing the game, i have not been able to find how to threaten other people out of their goods. The closest I've come is kicking some nads so hard they'll pay me 25 gold to stop. When the ball's in your court, this really takes a powerful arsenal out of your repitoire. 2. Diplomacy - Someone enlighten me. How could they have messed up the diplomacy this bad? You start a diplomacy, an your only options are - tech for money, or money for tech - I dont think i need to go into how elaboorate trading was in PC civ games. 1. Game Customization - This is by far the only mistake i have have not been able to overcome. You pick a scenario, or single player, pick a civilization, and you've begun. There's no option on how long you want to game to be, world climate, water level, land layout, barbarian aggressiveness, its ideally the same game every time. You do the math. Expand
  8. RobertB.
    Jul 17, 2008
    While I can see Civ:Rev as a good introduction for people who don't want the complexity or depth of the PC versions of Civ, I found this version to be far too simplistic for my taste. In addition, the play becomes seriously repetative after the first few playthroughs.
  9. Mar 3, 2014
    See the full review @ http://www.idiotbox.co.uk/civilization-revolution-review/

See the full review @ http://www.idiotbox.co.uk/civilization-revolution-review/

As far as introductions to a game go this one is definitely towards the higher end of the epic scale! It runs through the general features of the game whilst simultaneous giving one of the most rousing speeches I think I have ever heard. You are shown all of the civilizations from a group of Cavemen sat around a campfire all the way through to a modern day scientist meeting with the President before launching a rocket into space. Never have I been more motivated to play a game in my life, and I love videogames!!

The main game itself is made of a very simple formula: You select your civilization (more on this in a moment), you get your city all set up and you decide how you want to go about winning the game. You have 4 different options it come to winning the game, you can either kill everyone and take their capital cities for yourself (my personal favourite), you become technologically advance and launch a space station into orbit, you become richer than anyone else and build the world bank or finally you can take the cultural route and get a combination 20 world wonders or great people. Obviously the first thing you need to do before anything is decide which civilization you want to be the grand and exulted leader of. All of the civilizations have their own pro’s and cons and they all have at least one unique perk that you can utilize from the start, for example some of them start with a stockpile of gold (Mayans), some have a distinct combat advantage (Zulu) and some have a knowledge of Monarchy (England). Actually, the more I think about it, when you combine these perks with the ‘leader’ of each country then it’s possible that this could be the most passive aggressively racist thing I have ever seen…

With the family-friendly racism out of the way you can actually begin the game. You start with your main city and from here it is honestly up to you how you want to go about doing things; you can take some soldiers out to explore the surrounding areas or you can start fortifying your city and researching new technologies, it all comes down to how you feel more comfortable playing it. If you choose the exploration route (good for you, getting out there in the big wide world!) then you are likely to stumble across a barbarian camp or some of the different civilizations of the world. If you meet a barbarian camp then generally it is just a case of killing them and taking their land for yourself but if you meet another one of the civilizations then it gives you the option of either befriending them or openly declaring war, again it just comes down to how violent you happen to be feeling at that particular moment.

You may be thinking, OK well what do I do when I finish the game? Is that it?? Well let me tell you, pretty much it is yeah… There is another mode that you can play around with, this is the Scenario Mode and this gives you a list of different options to choose from and they play out like the regular game but with certain gameplay aspects being different. For example in some of them your armies will be stronger, in another you will be able to research things a lot faster and in another all of the AI opponents will be a lot more aggressive. It’s padding, it’s padding that’s been given a pretty name…

1. This slick new Civilization may be more reduction than Revolution, but it's easily one of the most distinctive games on 360 and PS3. I can't see myself playing much more of the single-player, but I genuinely cannot wait to war over landmass with a few like-minded chums.
  2. While far from as deep as the PC games, Revolution is a fine achievement, extremely accessible and great fun to play.
  3. Old diehard fanatics will no doubt shake their fists at the slight console-friendly tweaks of the original formula and the light-hearted nature of the graphics – but hey, it’s successfully infecting a whole new generation of gamers with Civ love, so get over it.