5.7

1. Mar 23, 2012
    Played on the PS3

Played on the PS3

This review doesn't reflect on the Silent Hill games which are classics, but the shoddy treatment Konami has put into them. From glitches such as sound not syncing up, to the HD sheen removing the atmospheric fog (mainly the ps3 version due to its difficulty rendering translucent textures.) As for the voice acting scenario at least Silent hill 2 has the option to play with the original cast which in my opinion are superb. Something about the new actors rubs me the wrong way.However its a shame that the option to switch is not available in 3 for several reasons. Douglas just sounds like a generic gruff detective and Heather's voice actress is going through the numbers.

Overall this reeks of a rushed job and if you have the option I'd stick with the classic games. A shame really as I was hoping for a remake as good as Metal Gear and the Ico and Shadow of the Colossus Collection.
  2. Mar 28, 2012
    What seems like a MONTH of QUICK CASH IN FOR KONAMI VIA SILENT HILL FRANCHISE RAPE (SH Downpour , Silent Hill "kinda" HD and the horrible and multiplayer centric SH Book of Memories) come crashing down in flames! HOw SAD.....
  3. Mar 25, 2012
    I'm not going to engage in hyperbolic trash-talking. But I was a day-one purchaser of this collection, and I'm very disheartened by these HD ports. They are still great games, and these are better than nothing if you have no other way to play them, but the PS2 versions are very much preferable - and I'm not referring to the new voice cast. Nostalgia aside, the new voice casts are in allI'm not going to engage in hyperbolic trash-talking. But I was a day-one purchaser of this collection, and I'm very disheartened by these HD ports. They are still great games, and these are better than nothing if you have no other way to play them, but the PS2 versions are very much preferable - and I'm not referring to the new voice cast. Nostalgia aside, the new voice casts are in all unbiased ways better actors, but I understand why players of the original release would want the old voice cast.

*Constant audio and visual bugs that the patch has not fixed

*Worst of all - for me: I don't know who's idea it was to put the draw distance of the fog farther away, but I'm definitely not a fan of that.

I would not complain much if this was just a matter of stylistic and aesthetic choices I didn't like, but the fact that a couple of PS2 games simple do not work properly on a succeeding platform is pretty bad, and I have a hard time believing it could be explained away except for lack of effort.

Konami was under no obligation to give its consumer base a re-release of these two great games, this must be acknowledged. However, if they didn't want to do it right, they should not have committed to it.
  4. Mar 26, 2012
    I was very disappointed with this game. I had really high hopes for it. The graphics are not really what I thought they would be. I had rented this game and will be returning it. The graphics don't look HD or what a game on the xbox should look like remastered in HD. I played an hour on the
    game so far, got to the apartment complex and could not see anything but darkness, I had to turn my game brightness settings max, and my TV to max brightness also to be able to make out where my character was attempting to go and I still couldn't make out what I was supposed to be doing. I did rent Downpour also, and that game seems much better. I really don't see that much difference from these graphics to the PS2 original. I actually Ended up looking it up on youtube to verify the game was supposed to look like it did. Don't waste money on this game, get the Downpour version.
  5. Oct 23, 2012
    What were they thinking? An HD 'clean up' means upres and polish the visuals, not run a street cleaner through the whole map and erase all the hard work the original artists put into the environments. Silent Hill was made to look run down and grimy for a reason. It's unfortunate that this project was handed to a team that clearly didn't know what they were doing. Silent Hill deserves better.
  6. Sep 8, 2012
    Horrible Ports of both games. Script changes that don't make any sense. Used BETA source-code and WHERE IS THE FOG. Don't buy this. Buy a PS2 and get both SH2 and SH2.
  7. Apr 14, 2012
    Silent Hill HD Collection is the perfect example of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." The Updaters for the games show clear lack of understanding of what makes the games fan-favorites. Things like removing the fog that the series is known for, remastering the music to be electric, and outright removing scenes. SH2 survives this treatment relatively intact. While there are new voices forSilent Hill HD Collection is the perfect example of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." The Updaters for the games show clear lack of understanding of what makes the games fan-favorites. Things like removing the fog that the series is known for, remastering the music to be electric, and outright removing scenes. SH2 survives this treatment relatively intact. While there are new voices for the cast, there is an option to use the original cast. The game however does suffer from the loss of the fog which reveals many graphical short comings. SH3 was not as lucky, being butchered without remorse, mandatory voice changes, graphics worse than the PS2 version, removial of the darkness and rust that the "Otherworld" is known for remove all traces of Silent Hill from this game. All in all, a waste of money and it would be easier to pick the originals online. Expand
  8. Aug 8, 2012
    Silent Hill 2 and Silent Hill 3 were gems, games of 9/10. This is just **** Also konami is beign Racist with the Xbox version because it's not going to release a patch.
  9. Jun 25, 2012
    Don't get me wrong. Silent Hill 2 and 3 are some really great games. This port, however, is not well done. In 3, if you fire the SMG, the audio glitches up HORRIBLY. It does the same thing in SH2 with the chainsaw. I don't know if this has been fixed yet, but it shouldn't have been sold like that anyway.

The games look better than the PS2 versions, but the PC versions can actually

The games look better than the PS2 versions, but the PC versions can actually look better than how it looks in the HD collection. It seems they took out a lot of the lighting effects in 3. 3 overall just has tons of problems.

Just avoid this. Too many bugs and glitches, especially in 3. Just play the original versions of the games on the PC if you can.
  10. Sep 6, 2012
    Gameplay is the same as the original games, with very very minor tweaks. The game is set in third person in both titles. These 2 titles, both suffer from severe gamebreaking bugs. The graphics in SH2 are a little better then the original versions, but not much. And the graphics in SH3 changed only a little. But still, its got some great graphics for its time, and its still a classic.Gameplay is the same as the original games, with very very minor tweaks. The game is set in third person in both titles. These 2 titles, both suffer from severe gamebreaking bugs. The graphics in SH2 are a little better then the original versions, but not much. And the graphics in SH3 changed only a little. But still, its got some great graphics for its time, and its still a classic. However, the several bugs and glitches cause very many problems in the graphics, and in SH2, the fog is to the point you can see things you should not, such as the edge of the map. The sounds were slightly redone in the collection in both games, like item pickup sounds,gunshots, and all voices. In SH2 you can use the original or new acting for voices, but in SH3 you must use the voice acting thats been redone. The new acting in SH2 is actually ok, but the new acting in SH3 is terribly done actually, several actors mix up lines such as claudia says something she should not, lol, and the emotion in acting is like reading a book to 1st graders... Both games suffer from several horrifying bugs, that truly call this game a HORRORible game. I was gonna get Resident Evil Operation Raccoon City, but i seen it got panned so i picked this up instead, not a good idea. At first,i had no issues, but later on it got so buggy with time, and its just not scary with the glitches, crappy sounds, etc. My recommendation? Dont buy a konami brand game ever again. This does NOT deserve the name silent hill. Its more like a shadow of its former self. Ugh... NEVER buy konami games again! Expand
  11. Aug 26, 2013
    I had to finally create an account here to warn people to stay far away from Silent Hill HD Collection on the Xbox 360. The product is broken to the point of being largely unplayable and it is actually *impossible* to experience everything within the games. The Silent Hill 2 part is so badly glitched it is actually against the law to market it as a Silent Hill 2 experience. Whenever youI had to finally create an account here to warn people to stay far away from Silent Hill HD Collection on the Xbox 360. The product is broken to the point of being largely unplayable and it is actually *impossible* to experience everything within the games. The Silent Hill 2 part is so badly glitched it is actually against the law to market it as a Silent Hill 2 experience. Whenever you unlock an achievement for killing a boss, the game almost freezes up and it takes multiple minutes for it to finally continue moving on. The graphics look worse than on the original PS2 version. There are multiple instances where the textures look laughably terrible and are even completely missing. Also the sound keeps cutting out and crackling as a sign of a terrible job by Hijinx Studios. The worst glitch in this crime against humanity comes at the very end. When you've beaten the game, it freezes into the Result Screen. It sometimes manages to churn through that part after roughly 15 minutes of frozen screen, but it still glitches the game from actually acknowledging that you've beaten it. This means *no new game plus* and it also glitches outs roughly half of the achievements from that game. (No chainsaw, no blue gem, no nothing after beating the game). After this I refuse to even try the Silent Hill 3 part, as I can't trust this product to even function in any way. A terrible HD collection. Do not ever even look at it. Not even to spit at it. It is not worth it. The creators of this travesty should be brought in to answer for their crimes ad for trying to deceive consumers into thinking that this is a gaming product. I refuse to classify an unplayable mess of glitches and freezes as a "video game". This is simply garbabe on a disc that doesn't even work. Avoid at all costs. Expand

1. Apr 27, 2012
    Unless you want to experience a butchered version of Silent Hill 2 and a somewhat decent Silent Hill 3, don't buy this collection.
    Nostalgic fans are likely to enjoy it, but by modern standards, these games lack cohesion and are flawed in such ways that new players probably won't.
  3. Apr 21, 2012
    New players who haven't played these before should certainly give this compilation a shot, but those who have played these before would be better served by playing on the older systems instead.