Skullgirls Xbox 360

6.7

1. Aug 16, 2013
    The Xbox 360 version doesnt have much polish in the graphics and the controller is just wonky. This game is really good, but do yourself a favor, and get the PC or PS3 version instead.
  2. Apr 15, 2012
    Skullgirls is a very one dimensional and over all weak release. While there is a mediocre, combo dependent game hiding at its core, the barrier to entry in this game is far too steep, and the tutorial gives you none of the help you need to reach its potential.

While this game, and this studio, has tons of potential, the game isn't anything remarkable in its present state (at release). While it is solidly constructed, technically, many of the decisions seem shallow or poorly thought out. There are only 8 characters at launch, and each of those characters has only a handful of skills available to them, causing them to feel far too much alike. Yet, somehow, these characters manage to be unbalanced. A few of the characters have extremely limited mobility, and a few of them, like Parasoul, relentlessly keep you at range. No matter who you choose, you're either going to be frustrated or be frustrating someone.

What confuses me the most, however, is how this game has been toted as a beginner friendly game, when I've never seen a fighter that's been harder to get into. The tutorial teaches you how to play fighting games, but it doesn't teach you how to play THIS fighting game. After you're done learning concepts like poking, comboing, and so on, the game leaves you completely on your own to figure out each character. Because of the lack of skills, you're supposed to chain regular attacks in combos that are frustrating to use and to have used on you. However, the game does not give you any indication what skills are available to you. Instead, the game directs you back to your computer to look up all of their special skills online. Even the character guide that is provided online gives no indication what regular attacks (which are the backbone of the gameplay) are available to use, nor how they interact with each other, leaving new players far more lost than they deserve to be.

The only people whom I would recommend this game to are people who are huge fans of combo heavy gameplay, and fighting fans who are on a budget. Hopefully this studio will have better luck with its future releases and DLC.
  3. Jan 25, 2013
    Absolutely beautiful visuals and very well design characters. But as a fighter, style and visuals aside, it is rather average. Combat is fun and engaging, combos are simple enough to pull off, but it also feels like there isn't enough depth. Move sets are limited and certain characters are far easier (and preferable) to play as ie. a bit unbalanced. While I do get that it is an XBLA/PSNAbsolutely beautiful visuals and very well design characters. But as a fighter, style and visuals aside, it is rather average. Combat is fun and engaging, combos are simple enough to pull off, but it also feels like there isn't enough depth. Move sets are limited and certain characters are far easier (and preferable) to play as ie. a bit unbalanced. While I do get that it is an XBLA/PSN title, it did really feel limited because of this. Character choice was rather sparse and I hope if they make a sequel expand the roster dramatically with more varied characters rather than more color palettes. Overall a great 2D fighter and hopefully the first of many from Reverge Labs. Expand
  4. Apr 13, 2012
    I fell in love with Skullgirls on my first playthrough. It's charm is infectious. It's art style beautiful. It's fighting mechanics accessible yet infinitely explorable with intense depth. The passion and creativity behind the making of this game just oozes out onto the screen whether in the form of slick easy to navigate menu screens, it's uncanny attention to detail from gorgeous stagesI fell in love with Skullgirls on my first playthrough. It's charm is infectious. It's art style beautiful. It's fighting mechanics accessible yet infinitely explorable with intense depth. The passion and creativity behind the making of this game just oozes out onto the screen whether in the form of slick easy to navigate menu screens, it's uncanny attention to detail from gorgeous stages to an fighting announcer that has the potential to be as "iconic" as the NBA Jam guy. Seriously, if you're not in love with the announcer then you have no heartbeat. As for the characters, wow. I don't think an 8 roster fighting game has ever had so much depth before. This gets said alot nowadays but EVERY character in Skullgirls is genuinely unique. And they each have a plethora of tools at their disposal to stand a fighting chance against any matchup even 1 against 3! Ive been playing fighting games for a looooong time I promise you I haven't had this much fun learning combos and set ups in a fighting game since mastering Orchid, Sabrewulf, and Glacius in the original Killer Instinct. The game is so addictive, so well made (clearly this was made by a bunch of guys who love the fighting game genre and actually PLAY IT extensively themselves) you can tell by every inch of the product. This game is well worth the $15 spent. I dare say it may just be worth 20 to 30 if not more. The only gripe I have about the game is the lack of a in game movelist. Some will say, its not relevant but seriously this is a glaring omission. I shouldn't have to download the pdf file to get my characters special moves. It's not a gamechanger by any stretch of the word just a minor annoyance. I also think the METER should be located at the bottom of the screen. I hate having to look up at my life bar to see my meter mid fight. In my fighting game experience it's waaaay more convinient to have the meter at the bottom directly in your line of sight during the match. And it should be noticeable not small. The number of bars you have should glow or pulsate and change color or something the more bars you get. But other than that Skullgirls is perfect. Valentine is a masterpiece of character design and in estimation the crowning achievement of this game. She is instantly a classic fighting game character for the history books. But don't mistake this as a one woman show. The entire game is full of characters that can and most likely will win your hearts. It certainly won mine at first sight. Skullgirls is without question one of the best fighting games this generation. Hell to me it's sitting comfortably in second place only behind Super Street Fighter 4 as the best. With a roster at about 20, a robust training mode, a endless battle lobby, a replay channel, and a character movelist this game will undoubtedly become one of the best fighting games ever made. And definitely my fighting game of choice. The possibilities are boundless for this incredible for this incredible labour of love. Major fighting game publishers have been called out. How can a game with less than a 10th of the budget as other games have better visuals, better fighting mechanics, and a better announcer than games made by billion dollar companies for 1/4th of the retail price? Because they makers of the game care, that's why. And it's evident as soon as a you pick your character for battle and the announcer says, "Ladies and Gentlemen (?) [hehe nice touch with the question mark on gentlemen btw].....IT'S SHOWTIME!!!". You damn right it is, off I go to enjoy more of the show. BUY THIS GAME!!! Collapse

1. Hyper Magazine
    Jul 8, 2012
    Amazing design, solid mechanics and gorgeous presentation. An impressive effort from newcomers Revenge. [July 2012, p.74]
  2. X-ONE Magazine UK
    Jun 5, 2012
    A great range of moves and some pleasantly diverse characters. [Issue#85, p.103]
  3. Official Xbox Magazine UK