5.6

1. Feb 18, 2014
    Okay, let's try to be as unbiased as possible in this review. Spyro was my **** childhood, spyro was freakin awesome, he had fire and ice and lightning and wind, and he was a sarcastic smart aleck, so you could imagine a 7 year old boy looking up to him. That being said, skylanders does not feel like a spyro game. Even though his name is in the title, you honestly don't even need him to complete the game. I mean, he's not a bad character in this game or anything, he just... Ehh. The whole selling point for skylanders is the fact that you can switch in characters whenever you want, right? Well, as cool as this is, it kind of takes a way from the overall epicness of the game's story. Some of the heroic struggle is lost when you can just rejuvenate all of your health by switching characters mid battle or take him off the portal so you can take a dump or something. The cutscenes are funny, TBH. Spyros character isn't much different either, he's still a smart aleck, brave, tough, all that good stuff. It just seems like they threw spyros name in there for no reason except to attract spyro fans.
    Overall, it's not a bad game by any means, it just isn't the epic spyro game I thought I would be.
  2. Dec 2, 2013
    While Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure has a very interesting concept, it suffers from one big problem: the lack of originality. The story is very bland with almost no thought put into it, the gameplay is as unoriginal as it can get and the graphics, while not horrible, could be a lot better. The characters themselves are also quite bland in terms of concept, especially in the name department. The portal can also be quite unresponsive at times. The level design is okay for the most part. This isn't a bad game by any means, but nothing really stands out. Expand
  3. Oct 4, 2013
    I like it but I never went back after the 2nd game so its ok so buy it for 4 year olds but not for older kids and in Australia the figures are not that detail
  4. Aug 30, 2013
    My kids and I love playing this game. My son went nuts for the characters and loves the mechanic of swapping out his characters on the fly. We enjoy battling baddies together too.
    This is a great game for playing with your kids. Buying all the characters is a bit expensive, but my son earns them by doing chores and he's never been so happy to do extra work around the house so he can
    earn his next character! Expand
  5. Jul 27, 2013
    This game looked cheesy to me from the go. Obviously catering to kids with little to no thinking skills, which could keep them occupied for weeks. I beat the game in 6 hours. It felt like an easy 800 points for my achievements. Not much replay value for someone over the age of 15. I easily leveled 11 characters to 10 and unlocked all their skills. I did that by farming xp on spiders that appearently never stop spawning. The idea of the little figures on the portal was cute. But the game play vs buying all the toys not worth it. I could see if it was marketed and programmed correctly, you could have online play, with 2-8 or 16 players in different modes. Though the easy game mechanics need to be adjusted. The battle mode is simple and cheesy... 1 vs 1? Ick. I remember playing games like gauntlet dark legacy, which I found more playble. I think the game has so much potential. Does not deserve a 10. The game is really short for the money you would drop on the toys. The challenges for each toy is kinda hard... Kinda. I didn't hate it, but I didn't feel rewarded enough for leveling all my guys to 10 and beating the game to consider buying 20 more little toys for 10 bucks a pop.

With that note, I thought micro-transactions were ethically wrong. You can buy a pirate boat to unlock missions that are built in the game but you gotta buy that boat.

Game cost what? 60 bucks? The pad is another 10 to 15... Then 30 skylanders are 30-40...120 150 bucks for 5-10 hours of game play. Give another 15 to 20 hours to level all those 30 skylanders to 10... Not worth it. A game should offer at least 30 hours plus for 60bucks. That's 12 movies from the 5 dollar bin which gives me 24 to 30 hours.
  6. Oct 3, 2012
    i found the game to be boring even knowing it kids game my nephew love it he left it i started playing it i found it boring the no real challenge to it put toy on portal then u can play the toy on game i went thru game like fresh air....

I dont like game that easy
  7. Mar 14, 2012
    This is not spyro. Thanks activison for AGAIN ruining a GREAT series. If a series is doing good, LEAVE IT ALONE and DONT TOUCH IT. Keep your grubby nasty fingers away from Ratchet and clank, Sly, and ty. You guys KILLED spyro. Legend of spyro was one thing, but slylanders goes over the limit!
  8. Mar 1, 2012
    I am a big spyro fan and I think that out of all the games i have played this is the best. It has a great campain and a great story line. It has diffrent carictars that you can play with and that's the best part, because not everyone likes spyro I do and i have play them all like 1,000 times thats why i like spyro but like i said befor not everyone likes playing as spyro.
  9. Feb 26, 2012
    An amusing dungeon crawler that mixes Spyro and Diablo in a weird way. It uses the figures as an amusing way to change characters on the fly. Every level is set up the same way. Get from point A to B and collect treasure and kill bad guys. You can level your character and that characters stats are saved to the figure so that you can bring it a friends house. That also allows you use figures cross platform which is neat. However the downside is unlocking new characters is predicated on you buying more figures and that costs a lot of money. The game also sets itself up so that you can't unlock areas of the game with a character from each of the elemental classes in the game. Other than that money making move the game is a lot of fun. Expand
  10. Jan 27, 2012
    This game is the worst game ive ever played. This 1, is not spyro. They only used the name spyro for it to sell. They should of left spyro alone and started a new IP. But no, they yet again gotta ruin the spyro name. Why dont they learn and go back to the original spyro that always got good reviews. (not enter the dragonfly tho).
  11. Jan 9, 2012
    Whenever a new Spyro game comes out i get it i like all Spyro games and this by far was the best i really liked this game it was expensive but really fun i always play Skylanders whenever i have free time
  12. Dec 24, 2011
    Once again Activision has paid all critics. The truth is that this game sucks almost as much than mw3
    (that got really bad reviews from users)
    I you liked old spyro dont get this crap (even legend series was better)
  13. Dec 23, 2011
    I expected this game to get bad reviews from users, but that is nature of humans who are clouded by nostalgia and fear change. I own the original 3 Spyro games for the Playstation, and they were great. However, that was then, this is now. I do not fear change. I love change. Had this game been the same old stuff, it would get repetitive. However, instead of trying to fix what they messed up, they went and put this game into a genre of its own, which helps fix the brand and make it fun. This, my friends, is the Gauntlet of this generation. What I mean by Gauntlet, is that it has an arcade feel to it. It is easy enough for kids to go through, but has enough depth and strategy for us adults (I am 33) who seek to explore the inner workings of this excellent game. I will say, that is hands down my favorite game of 2011. I did buy my usual crop of AAA titles from established franchises, such as Assassin's Creed, Batman, Elder Scrolls, Uncharted, Zelda, and more, but this game came out of left field and made me feel as if I was chugging quarters into an arcade cabinet. Again, it is the Gauntlet of this generation. This game is so addicting and fun, I bought it on all systems (even on PC and I loathe buying PC games), and have 2 complete sets of the currently released 27 figures. That's on top of what my kids own, which they have their own sets. I have two sets, personally, so I could have each Skylander take one of the two upgrade paths available to them. To top it off, each Skylander unlocks a sometimes tough as nails Heroic Challenge that all Skylanders can use to raise the stat they are rewarded with for completing this game. There will be 32 Heroic Challenges (almost levels themselves), on top of the 22 chapter (level) story mode, and 4 more chapters coming from Adventure Packs (which include a Skylander and two magical items that can be used in every level). This theoretically means you have a total of 58 unique levels to play (none are recycled). What's even better about this game, is some of the toys can help you out if you're in a bind. Sure, you can use an adventure pack toy, to unlock a new chapter, but it also has a hidden feature. Place that level toy on the portal once per level, and it will start dealing damage to enemies on the screen, before unleashing a huge shockwave, that kills every enemy currently on screen. It's things like that, that made me feel like I was back at the arcade discovering all kinds of cool things. So in closing, BEST GAME I'VE PLAYED IN 2011! Nothing will change that. This is coming from a 33 year old, who isn't some bootleg gamer that is clouded by nostalgia (I pity those people). These people giving it 0's are one-trick ponies who think that things should never change. This franchise was hurting bad, from trying to be too much like the original 3 games, so it was about time to change the formula altogether. This game is an absolute blast, that it is the first game in my life, I have spent over 1000 bucks on. It is simply too fun to pass up. Expand
  14. Dec 23, 2011
    It is one of the best games i have ever seen and played it is awesome, the toys make it awesome so you can explore with different characters yeah ok it is expensive but it is worth it at the end of the day.
  15. Dec 23, 2011
    I bought this game on a whim, and I am totally glad I did. What a fun little addicting innovated game they have created!!! It's not a super Spyro game, it's a Skylanders game with Spyro's name attached!
    I am 38 years old a really like this game a lot, I also bought it for my Mom's husband he just turned 60! This game spans all age groups, a pretty far cry for the 7 year-old boys this game
    was targeted too.
    Well worth the price tag too, you get the game 3 figures and the portal of power! All for the normal price of a game! If you are tired of the shooters out there, and want something you can just kick back and play....if you like collecting figures and collectables this game is soooo for you!
  16. Dec 22, 2011
    Awful. Ruined. Disgrace. Not fun. If it's not broken, Don't fix it. Well activision doesn't understand that. We want them to IMPROVE ON THE ORIGANALS! NOT MAKE MORE OVERPRICED TOYS! Get Stewart Copeland to make the music, Make a FUN game, and i WILL buy it. Not this **** **** Now i'm going to play spyro the dragon on my ps1 because that game is fun.
  17. Dec 9, 2011
    Even for a series that has never exactly been stellar, Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure sets the bar particularly low. The story is exceptionally trite, the script asks very little of the voice-actors, and the gameplay is bare-bones simple (even as it holds your hand through the most rudimentary mental exercises). There are no platforming elements to speak of (you can't even jump in the console versions!) and practically any platforming-esque mechanic is either performed automatically (conveniently placed bounce-pads replace the aforementioned jumping) or is explained a half dozen times by in-your-face visual cues, constant narrative hints, and pop-up text explanations. The enemies in this game are laughable and should never pose the slightest threat to your life total. Graphically, the Spyro series was never really a powerhouse, and it is obvious that the same amount of effort went into this title. This could have been a PS1 title. It is marketed towards the elementary-school set, though, so it gets a pass. The toy mechanic itself is cute and sure to be a hit with kids from ages 9 to 90, but when taken as a whole with the design decisions in the game proper, it comes across as exceptionally aggressive marketing. Different characters basically play exactly the same as any other, even Spyro himself (which explains the loss of jumping and gliding: lazy design), with one financially relevant caveat. The element attached to each character serves as a key to access locked areas (ie: only a fire element skylander can unlock a fire element area) and a damage modifier is applied for certain elements in some areas as well. What this effectively does is force you to pay for additional figures in order to unlock the full content of your already expensive purchase. And why wouldn't you, after finding the character-specific advertisements sprinkled about each level that unlock abilities and short intro videos for figures that didn't come with the core package! There are already expansion packs available as well. When distilled to its purest form, Sklanders: Spyro's Adventure is essentially a poorly made toy tie-in game that thinks you or your children aren't intelligent enough to figure out how to solve basic challenges without being told exactly what to do in at least three separate ways. To unlock the full breadth of this franchise-turned-shovelware experience you must needs spend something to the tune of a hundred dollars, though you do get some cute toys in the process. And hey, at least there are hats. Expand
  18. CL1
    Nov 10, 2011
    For kids that are 6 to 10 years old this game can't be beat. My nephew and niece love that you take a real toy put it on the portal and it comes to life in the game. Each character has different attacks which make them fun to change. The story and game play are fun, easy to follow and safe for kids. This is a game everyone in the family can sit around a play together. I highly recommend it; I'm off to buy a three pack of new characters, enjoy! Expand
  19. Nov 2, 2011
    Granted I only played the first level myself, and then my kids took over and enjoyed it from there. But it works, it's novel and the game and peripheral works well. The characters are nice HD looking and the levels are cute. I am very satisfied I shelled out $100 bucks for the starter pack, and 4 extra characters. I have a feeling we'll be looking to collect the other 23 over time.
  20. Oct 25, 2011
    I don't think they got the memo across the gaming community: "We don't want change!". Spyro, now a broken faced lizard with wings, is just a disappointment in this game. Feels nothing like the original games at all. Just my opinion.
  21. Oct 25, 2011
    Fantastic game - A charming blend of League of Legends/Heroes of Newarth/DotA meets Ratchet & Clank, with some Diablo-esque game play and level design that often rivals Mario Galaxy. Ok so it's not cheap if you want to collect every toy, but either way, it's a brilliant game.
  22. Oct 23, 2011
    I just picked up this game a few days ago and im loving it. It does hold your hand a little too much but in the end it is a "kids" game. Im 29 with no kids and me and my wife both played that crap out of it. I do think they made a major mistake though by making the game co-op only. If i could battle on-line with anyone across xbox live this game would have had endless replay vaule and i would have no problem buying and caping every chrs lvl but instead i am only buying one of each element and probly going to be tired of it in a few weeks. Every time i turn it on the battle mode just sits there and taunts me laughing at the fact that i can only play it with my wife. Im a perty hard core gamer and spend the majority of my gaming on COD and battle field but i am a huge sucker for lvling up and collecting so this game really killed me when i found out it didnt support on-line play. Whoevers call it was to not have on-line play needs to be fired. This game is a great idea and a load of fun but its short lived and makes me feel like ive been short changed. A good game that could have been so much more Expand
  23. Oct 22, 2011

There are no platforming elements to speak of (you can't even jump in the

And hey, at least there are hats.
  24. Oct 21, 2011
    My son is 7 and he absolutely loves this game. I am not ashamed to say... I also enjoy playing alongside him. I see quite a few people complaining about the cost of all the characters. But honestly I'm not sure why. Unless you have the desire to buy all the characters at once. Personally, I like the idea of waiting a while and then getting a few more characters. It's certainly cheaper than buying a whole new game. Skylanders is the game I've been waiting for. Pure and simple fun. Expand
  25. Oct 19, 2011
    Very fun and innovative game in terms of the portal and figures. I'm 28 years old, I've played the Insomniac Spyro games, loved them, and I'm just fine with what they've done with him in this game. Just think of it as Spyro in an alternate universe before you fan boys start peeing your pants in rage. This is a quality, well-made game that is a joy to play. I recommend you give it a shot before you knock it. Expand
  26. Oct 17, 2011
    I have a 3 year old girl and an 8 year old boy. Screw them! I bought this game for me. They're just my excuse. The game itself is a very good platformer, and the toy combo is perfect. Nostalgia has taken a lot of Spyro Fans too much that they forget that the original games were equally as childish- they were just younger back then. I would hate on Activision if I could, trust me. They're my #2 worst publisher. But they hit it out of the park. The figures are actually quality, and the game is fun. Be careful, though, because the 3DS version is NOT multiplayer. Which was, in my opinion, Activision's biggest mistake. Other than that, I can say so far it's a major hit with each person controlling their characters and we switched out as necessary. For people who have kids, this game is a GODSEND. An $8 character will completely renew interest. So fanboys took one for the team. It's still a great game. Collapse
  27. Oct 17, 2011
    It's kinda sad when the best new peripheral idea today not only far exceeds all others, but is also for a game targeted for kids 6 and up. The game is $10 more than other AAA titles however it comes with the "pedestal of power" and 3 Skylander figures which are about 8 bucks individually. Game play is basic but solid, has co-op, and a multiplayer mode with various game types. I'm usually a Halo, Gears type gamer but my wife and I spent about 4 hours the night we bought it glued to the TV having more fun on the XBOX than we've had in a long time. A friend of ours even went out and bought a figure of his own to play with us even though he himself doesn't own it. There's plenty of hidden areas and treasures to keep you coming back for more and the 6 of 32 skylanders we own all have drastically different attacks and play styles. (My favorite is Trigger Happy, a duel wielding psycho version of Stimpy from Ren and Stimpy and he comes free in the package). As an adult with no kids, the game is a blast so I wouldn't be surprised if anyone with young ones picks this up, they will definitely get their money's worth. Expand
  28. Oct 17, 2011

1. Jul 27, 2012
    Without a doubt, Skylander's Spyro's Adventure is the best family-friendly, everybody-pleasing title I've seen in quite some time, and has handily eclipsed that other collect'-em-all franchise as the go-to at our house.
    Decent game hindered by hidden costs. [Jan 2012, p.98]
  3. Dec 22, 2011
    One of the most original concepts to hit the industry in the past two or three years, Skylanders is also just fun to play.