5.7

1. Oct 14, 2013
    It's just what we've come to expect from a Skylanders game. Bright and beautiful and fun with little stress, this game is great for families looking to have a fun, easy time. It's forgiving on the game-unfamiliar but can still be entertaining to the gaming veteran.

You could be mad about the "pay for more" method of the game, but it doesn't try to hide the system at all. You know full
    well what you're getting in to when you get this game.

If you enjoyed the other games, you'll like this one. It's more of the same, but the same was good.
  2. Oct 15, 2013
    got this for my lil sister's birthday and she's loving it. it's not to my taste just cuz i'm older but in general it looks to have some good graphics and puzzles to get kids' brains working up to the par of the demands of western capitalism globalism technocratism and all that jazz we love to listen to and play call and response to. you know.
  3. Oct 16, 2013
    Best Skylanders game yet, with heaps of stuff to do even if you only have the starter pack.
    Sad to see 'bad' votes and reviews from people who haven't even tried the game.
  4. Jan 9, 2014
    This has been a great series that both my son and I enjoy playing together. The level design and character improvements have really made the game more enjoyable(And the last 2 were great). Yes it is a costly game... but you do not need to own every character to finish the story(This is a collectors dream otherwise). To access all content of the game- get a character of each element if you don't have them already. Get a swap character of each skill(Bounce, Speed, Climb, Dig, Sneak, Rocket, and Teleport). at least one Giant. Have fun and be a kid again:D Expand
  5. AGK
    Dec 26, 2013
    I don't like skylanders and here's why. it's dumb, it's in mcdonalds, the ads are stupid, playing it just make me feel 2 years old, it's moneyhungry, and the game doesn't come with all the content. dear children, stop asking for this crap!
  6. Apr 22, 2014
    An excellent game; well-made and extremely enjoyable. What many of the detractors of this game either don't realize, or maybe just don't agree with, is that collecting the figurines isn't a chore that accompanies the gameplay - it's an essential *part* of the gameplay. Whenever the game gives you a reason (or even just an excuse) to switch characters, reaching to that portal is *fun*. It means you get to enjoy that ever-magical moment when the toy comes to life in front of you.

Perusing online lists and local retailers feels like an extension of the fun. The game is designed to be replayed and replayed - there's tons of main-path content which can be played with any Skylander. So you're incentivized not to go out and spend a bajillion dollars today, but to grab a few more figures in the future. Great character designs mean there's something for everyone, and far from "Gotta Catch 'Em All!" the game says, "Hey - we've made a ton of cool little toys - why not pick out a few more?"

What makes this game magical is that you'll WANT more of them - not to tick some arbitrary completionist checkbox, but because each one is fun, different, and cool to play with. You get *excited* when you see a gated area, because you get to *use another one of you Skylanders*!

I waited until this installment to jump in, and the whole family is thoroughly enjoying it. We set ourselves limits on buying new ones, and we can't wait for each week, when we each get to add another to our collection. My fiance wants all the "cute" ones, and all the dragons; my son's tastes are somewhat eclectic, but specific - his TOTAL wish list is less than a dozen.

The closest comparison I can make is to Magic: The Gathering. You don't buy new cards because you feel some oppressive hand forcing you to do so - you buy them so you can PLAY with 'em!

(Note: The ONLY thing that makes this fall short of 10/10 is the limitation on co-op; No online? Ridiculous! ONLY TWO PLAYERS??? Devastating.)
  7. Dec 24, 2013
    Dear parents, If you need a gift last minute, and you happen to stumble upon this behemoth package of a game, you better think twice. (It's an enormous SCAM.) Don't get me wrong, the game is average fun and the ability to swap tops and bottoms of Skylanders is an extremely interesting concept, even being able to take your leveled up Skylanders to your friends' houses and play together! But the way the idea was presented was extremely gimmicky. This game wouldn't be as much as a scam if they put a Skylander in every McDonalds kids meal.

But Skylanders Swap Force isn't just a scam, Skylanders Swap Force is a DOUBLE SCAM. There are "swap stations" that have an icon on it, (drill, ladder, rocket, etc.) and you can only use these with certain Skylander bottoms. The starter pack gets you into a few places but all the rest you need to buy toys. It's manipulative towards smaller kids to make them buy more.

So if you ever see Skylanders Swap Force or ANY Skylanders games on the shelves at Target, DO NOT BUY IT.

1. Apr 13, 2014
    Swap force is a nice game, perfect for the target to which it's addressed, exciting and enjoyable also for those who are already a little older. If you have a child, or a younger brother to share the experience with, this game will be just amazing.
    New approach to the figures allowed the game to open up and bring larger and more complex areas to the game. The selling point remains with the new figures themselves, though – and won’t let you sleep until you’ve got as many of them as your budget allows. [Issue#237]
  3. Dec 17, 2013