7.8

1. Aug 14, 2012
    I was really looking forward to this game, and I am not disappointed. The story (so far) is believable and well written. The city is living and breathing and very enjoyable to inhabit. The attention to detail is remarkable: you can see bugs crawling on the ground! The voice acting is superb. As for the gameplay, the driving is great, a great mix between realistic and arcadish. The free running sections are very fun, it's great to run around jumping and sliding to evade the cops. The combat is perfect and challenging. Some may find it a little too challenging... it takes some time getting used to, but free flow with counters and environmental takedowns is just awesome (it's like Batman meets the Bourne Conspiracy). Gunplay is satisfying and focused on moving forward, since you can combine some free running and melee with it, giving a good pace to it. You can stay in cover if you want to, but it's a lot more enjoyable not to. Had this game been published by Rockstar, the reviews probably would have been better. I mean, GTA4 was good, but not as enjoyable as this game was for me... and the reviews were so biased it's not even funny. If you're looking for a solid open-world game with great gameplay and a compelling storyline, I recommend this game hands down. Expand
  2. Aug 15, 2012
    Fantastic game. Superb city that is huge and has a lot to offer. The graphics are outstanding and all of the gameplay elements work really well. Sleeper hit of 2012, no doubt in my mind.
  3. Aug 14, 2012
    Not GOTY but still better then saints row serious ignore the reviews you read on the big websites this is a game to buy

not as good as GTA but it comes very close im sure if they continue this franchise in the future it could out shine Grand theft auto
  4. Aug 14, 2012
    Great open world game with decent graphics and solid gameplay mechanics, some varied gameplay aspects in the game is good enough to build upon a new linear game on its own. Points are deducted for a bit of wonky camera, bugs and draw distances but the overall experience is fun, addicting and humorous.
  5. Aug 16, 2012
    Sleepings Dogs is just an amazing game, with a well written story and all the great qualities of a sandbox game, so hopefully this can become a well known a series as GTA and SR. If you haven't played it yet, your denying yourself from playing one of the best games of the year.
  6. Oct 12, 2012
    Ignore anyone who says this game is bad. I am extremley picky when it comes to games, i recently bought Darksiders 2 and found it boring.

This has some new elements, high speed car hijacking is fantastic. Combat is great and the graphics are fine.

If you are looking for a great story and something to entertain you until GTA V buy this game.
  7. Aug 16, 2012
    One of the best, if not the best, games of the year, Sleeping Dogs hits all the right notes in all the right places. An engaging story, well developed characters, multiple side-missions, a great balance between realism and arcade style driving, fast-paced shooting, and last, but definitely not least, an excellent hand to hand and melee weapons combat system. This game is for sure a must play this year, and who knows, it could be a contender for GOTY. Expand
  8. Aug 14, 2012
    Giving it a 9
    No matter how bad people say it is
    I still enjoy it especially I'm a Hong Kong people
    Hugh props to the developer on data researching
    With one example
    I saw a bus in the game with a no. 307 to Tai Po
    I live in Tai Po and the bus no. of the bus that go between Hong Kong Island and Tai Po is 307!
    I was stunned
  9. Aug 30, 2012
    This game owns!!! The martial arts is super sweet, if you like running around Hong Kong super kicking fools as hard as you can, I would highly suggest this beast. This one dude on the skreet looked at me funny, so i took his umbrella and beat the living heck out of him with it. Its cool cause if you start fights with people who can't fight, they will try to punch you like a woman and you simply RUIN THEIR WORLDS. If you like tooling around a foreign city, wrecking lives all day, then I would deff check this nasty mess out, the gunplay is pretty fat too, the driving is acceptable, the streets are narrow so that can be a little tough but the fighting is super nasty, i forget to do the missions most of the time cause I'm too busy WRECKING SHOP Expand
  10. Aug 15, 2012
    The Grand Theft Auto we deserve, is also the one we desperately need right now. Innovates, and reinvigorates the worn and tired genre. Truly a feat in today's gaming atmosphere.
  11. Aug 14, 2012
    Certainly very refreshing. Story is compelling and sticks to you. Living in Hong Kong myself certainly plays a part in the attractiveness as well. Chase seen is amazing.
  12. Aug 17, 2012
    This is a class game, it's different but good in its own way. Way too many people comparing it to GTA and saying it doesn't compare. But That's good, I think because GTA is such a benchmark for open world games every other open worlder is then compared to it. When I want another GTA game il buy GTA 5 and then compare that to the past GTA's. Rant over, Sleeping dogs is a different creature entirely. Gritty and violent, class graphics and good slick gameplay and fight scenes, comparable to assassins creeds fight system. The driving and gunplay are equally sick. And the slow motion is a nice feature and works well. The game is far from sluggish and who doesn't want to blaze into a fight, parkour over a market stall at breakneck speed, smashing the contents of the stall over and bowling over the shop vendor in the process, charge into a few guys, throw some sick combos in, counter a guys attack the. Charge him onto a shop counter and smash down the roller shutter through his torso. To sum up, the game is awesome, a good solid free roamer with good voice acting, believable characters and good story. All of the things a story driven game should. A good driver, shooter and fighter. And all the while you feel like a bad ass. For all those comparers out there it's a Gta, Assassins Creed, Just Cause, Max Payne, True Crime, Warriors mix, and it's good for all those reasons. Expand
  13. Aug 18, 2012
    I was expecting this game to be very good and it has proved to be an amazing game... I really love the way they have given so much oppurtunities for the gamer... Such side missions and all.... Its an amazing game.
  14. Aug 18, 2012
    I truly loved this game, from the very exciting start to the climatic ending I sat there with a look of awe, the world that the team at United Front Games did a wonderful job. I loved the characters the missions and the combat, really their was no fault that i found with the game, ya the graphics isn't on a frostbite 2 level but it was so immersing that you will not care, in fact the only other world i can think of with this much detail placed in it is Skyrim. In short it will not be the general GOTY but it will be the sleeper hit of the year, I can not wait for another chance to hope back in now if you will excuse me a second play-through is in my future. Expand
  15. Aug 15, 2012
    I've been playing for a little over 5 hours now and I'm having fun. It's definitely GTA set in Hong Kong, but still...the story is better, the fighting is 1000 times better than GTA4's fighting. The graphics are good and overall it's just a fun game with a decent story. I give it 9 out of 10 ching chongs.
  16. Sep 8, 2012
    this is gonna be the most underrated game of the year, yes, I said it, the graphics are nice and the story is extremely amazing, the combat in this game is flawless and the driving feels just right. I won't say the game is perfect, since after you complete it, there is little to nothing interesting to be done.
  17. Aug 24, 2012
    Easily one of the best open world games I've played in my life. The combat, the driving, and everything else is INCREDIBLY well done, miles ahead of the competition. The story is very good with some classic undercover cop twists, and the same goes for the rest. You should play it.
  18. Sep 11, 2012
    (in portuguese)

Sleeping Dogs é um jogo de proporções muito grandes. E consegue ser um excelente jogo, um dos melhores do ano. Um jogo enorme, com uma cidade com muito a se fazer, que desafia e recompensa o jogo a cada ação feita, a aventura de Wei Shen consegue seu lugar ao sol de um gênero muito difícil de ser acertado: o sandbox,
    principalmente por possuir uma cidade muito rica e dar desafios justos e recompensadores, tudo incrementado por um combate muito diversificado e cheio de possibilidades, um enredo bastante chamativo, músicas licenciadas de peso e gráficos muito bonitos pelo tamanho do jogo.

Check the full review at http://jogadorpensante.com/2012/09/10/netos-review-sleeping-dogs/
  19. Sep 12, 2012
    Awesome! This game has to be the best I've played in a while, whilst GTA focuses on endless pockets you can only really carry 1 gun in Sleeping Dogs. Which I think is a good thing and helps the game seem more realistic, gameplay is great and the free roam aspect is so in-depth I forget the missions are even there. 10 out of 10 and a must buy (or rent)
  20. Sep 21, 2012
    Great. I loved it. It is completely worth your time. It's not GTA but if you are looking for a fun game with a different setting to fill your time you can't go wrong with this game.
  21. Sep 30, 2012
    It's simply like GTA, just better and more rewarding fun without pointless gimmicks you won't enjoy doing over and over. One of my favorite games of the year.
  22. M1R
    Nov 12, 2012
    This game is AWESOME. To be honest, the story, characters, features and all that are GREAT. The best part of the game is the dopeness of the melee combat system. If you're the guy who plays this type of game and haven't played it before yet, I'D SAY YOU GO GRAB THIS GAME AND U WON'T REGRET IT!!!
  23. Aug 26, 2012
    I waited and followed this game since its name change to "Sleeping Dogs", being a more catchy title and signaling the end of its attachment to the dead "True Crime" series. This game is superb! The voice acting is pure quality, and helps to create a connection to the characters that flourish in this bright, neon ridden, hong kong. As you play you'll notice a smartly written script that brings these characters to life and begins a connection to these characters however this connection is weak. The city these characters inhabit breathes better than most open world games, specifically steelport (Saints Row). The citizens of this city seem as if they really had always been living there and go about their day engaging in convesations with other citizens. The gameplay is fun and grounded in aspects similar too grand theft auto 4 though and saints row, which is a perfect combo. Those who loved San Andreas will feel right at home. Those who loved both grand theft auto, red dead redemption, and saints row are guaranteed love this title. Expand
  24. Aug 27, 2012
    This game deserves to be Game of The Year in my opinion. Everything that is put in this game is amazing. The story is absolutely amazing and how it is told is amazing. The combat is fluid and fun and never gets boring. When you are done with the campaign no worries you can do the very fun activities and favors that are in the world. You can also collect the hundreds of lock boxes the world has along with the Jade statues that unlock you new moves to use in combat. A very solid title and i hope to see some dlc for this game very soon and hopefully a Sleeping Dogs 2. 10/10 Expand
  25. Aug 28, 2012
    A great game with a solid engine and batman-esque hand to hand combat. Hong Kong is recreated brilliantly with lively streets and a real Hong Kong feel. The driving aspects take a bit of getting used to as the handling can range from under to over sensitive at some points. The story is fantastically laid out and it really sucks the player into the main characters situations. One of the games of the year if not the game of the year. Expand
  26. Aug 28, 2012
    Presentation - 8.0 - Accessible story, if a little too simple. HUD and UI are very nice. Cutscenes could have been better directed though. Design - 9.5 - The best playing open world game this gen. Fantastic design choices all round, especially quick travel, easy access to vehicles and weapons and well implemented collectibles.

Gameplay -8.8 - Combat is very responsive, as is the
    vehicle action. Free running aspects work great in this urban environment. Gunplay and cover could have been better though. Slo mo is not utilized as well. Graphics - 8.2 - Nice lighting and Rain effects. Detailed buildings however npc Character models suffer accordingly to importance of the character. Some look plain horrible.

Audio - 8.5 - Classic HK cinema style score. Voices are great, but some of the song selection is very poor. Bonobo stands out as the highlight of the soundtrack. Lasting Appeal - 9.0 - There is a lot to do in this game. Side missions and favours are nicely paced and provide a nice break from the main campaign, which is a little on the short side. Overall 8.8/10
  27. Aug 25, 2012
    So yes, it doesn't do anything technically groundbreaking and isn't nearly as pretty and vibrant as GTA the holy grail of OWGs, but what Sleeping Dogs has in spades is character. Wei Shen is easily the most well crafted protagonist ever seen in an OWG. Where Saints Row and GTA give you flat, one dimensional character to play with, Sleeping Dogs ups the Ante by giving you someone who has nuance. And that nuance doesn't end wit Wei, its all over the game. The story is almost RPG good, some of the major NPCs are really well fleshed out. And though it would have been even nicer if the romance option had been given more attention, perhaps even a significant portion of the plot, the fact that they did try their hand at the whole dating business bodes well for the inevitable sequel.
    Its a flawed game, that much is clear, there's a lot to do but it gets repetitive, you can action hijack an armored van just so many times before it becomes boring, but to its credits, sleeping dogs does not make any of the boring stuff mandatory. Its only filler for achievement hunters. That stuff hat moves the story along is emotionally engaging and satisfying at every turn, without fail. And this is the best thing about this game, its a vehicle to tell a story as opposed to Saintsrow in which the story is used as an afterthought to facilitate mass scale destruction. Even GTA IV, which is exceptional in every department did not tell a tale as well as it supplemented the making of mayhem. I have very high hopes for GTA V, but out of the blue, United Front has thrown down the gauntlet and done it with class, poise and authority. Saintsrow really needs to watch out.
  28. Aug 16, 2012
    love this game. has character. not as polished as GTA but GTA is getting stale. even though GTA has different location themes, they feel like the same game with tweaks. not saying its better than GTA but people who dismiss this because theyre GTA fans are missing out.
  29. Aug 24, 2012
    To be honest, I am not a big fan of open world games. But Sleeping Dog hooked me, with an engaging narrative and some pretty good game mechanics. The counter system is a little bit too sensitive for my liking, but the melee feels pretty good. Kudos for the typical third person shooting segments. What makes it even greater is the great atmosphere: you feel that you are living in an actual Hong Kong action movie. The casts were also very good, and while the production values aren't up there with other triple A titles such as Max Payne or GTA, they are still pretty great. Another highlight is its plot; which reminds you of the best in HK cinemas of the 90's. One of the best game of 2012. Expand
  30. Aug 27, 2012
    This week i played through sleeping dogs a game where you play as an undercover cop working with the triads in china. From the cars to the free running, this game is one of the most fluid games I have ever played from this genre. I can try to compare it to GTA 4 or even Saints Row, but its got a feel all its own. In the beginning your just doing your job as a cop, but as you go along the lines become blurred. By the end of the game your unsure which side you should be on.

The only real problem in this game is the camera. When your driving around and decide to flip a 180 next to a wall it likes to get stuck or zoom in really fast and back out and you lose control. When your in a gun fight and you crouch behind a wall the camera likes to only aim one way and when that
  31. Oct 5, 2012
    Pretty much a GTA IV on drugs, in hong kong. Freaking awesome, great graphics, awesome story, and a buy for any sandbox lover like me.
  32. Sep 12, 2012
    Great "Action Movie" style sandbox game. Combat is similar to Batman Arkham Asylum (strikes, counterstrikes, grabs) with some environment kills that make combat easy to pick up and enjoyable to pull off.
    Driving keeps with the action film theme by keeping simple and arcadey. There's plenty to do and collect in the game. The main storyline is fairly quick (by open world standards) but if
    you're the type of person who does side missions and looks for colelctables you'll spend plenty of time in game. I just finished the storyline at 28 hours in-game and I still have some colelctables to find and some races to finish off and some events to finish.

I really enjoyed playing this and look forward to future dlc and/or the next title.
  33. Aug 18, 2012
    Sleeping Dogs Was Slated To Be A Bad Game Since Activision Had It...Well Now United Front Games Have Proved Us All Wrong With Is Amazing Landscape And Its Awesome Story It's Hands Down One Of The Best Games Of The Year. Full Review Coming Soon
  34. Aug 16, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Sleeping Dogs is an open-world game with good graphics, varied gameplay and a little humor and gore.
    For me is a great game and maybe the best sandbox in the year, also it has all the components of a sandbox: A good system of combat, gunfight, car chases.
    To sum up I recommend this game
  35. Aug 31, 2012
    sleeping dogs what can i say awesome game, story is brill side missions are cool, just hope they make new missions to download, the fighting is better than batman arkham city, the driving is a little lose but nothing really to complain about, the best thing no helicopters or planes, the only way to make this game better is to have a map the size of just cause 2, and catch a plane from hong kong to america. now that will be interesting to see Expand
  36. Sep 7, 2012
    Great game play mixed with a very well written story. The plot keeps you hooked until the end of the story, and has plenty of shocking moment that keep you interested in the characters. The setting of Tokyo is very interesting because it is a very different atmosphere than you get in GTA or Saints Row. The player gets a real feeling of being far away from western culture. Which is immediately noticed when having to enter cars on the right hand side(I could never get over trying to get in on the left hand side of the car), and driving on the left side of the road. The concentration on hand to hand fighting was also a nice touch compared to most sandbox games which are mainly shoot em' ups. It was also fun learning the new martial arts techniques and then using them in battle. Expand
  37. Oct 14, 2012
    Sleeping Dogs is a game that almost never saw the light of day, which is shocking considering how good this game turned out. The core gameplay in Sleeping Dogs offers a lot of variety. The driving is fun and arcade-like, so the handling is simple and intuitive, but it offers depth, like ramming your enemies off of the road or jumping from your car to another car and jacking it. The shooting is basic, so it doesn't offer much depth, but there is a bullet-time feature, a la Max Payne, which makes gun combat really fun, though it must be noted that gun combat is not the focus of the game. Now onto melee, which is the focus of the game, is similar to the combat in Batman: Arkham Asylum and Batman: Arkham City, meaning it's a ton of fun and pretty stylish. In addition, you can use context-sensitive environmental attacks, allowing you to shove an enemy's head in a fan, throw him in a dumpster, impale him on swordfish, etc. It's all handled pretty gracefully and flows together nicely. Now onto the parkour, which is a real blast. Your character can climb, jump, leap, etc., so your character has real agility and makes you feel like you can get away from any bad situation or chase after those who are trying to escape you. Sleeping Dogs has a lot of talent, all lending to the story, voice acting, and the cast of characters. In many pre-release trailers and previews, they pointed out Hollywood talent like Emma Stone, but just about everyone here contributes their voice talents to make the story and characters interesting and fully realized. While the story isn't original, it's done so well that originality isn't necessary. This is a game that knows what it wants to be and completely succeeds at it. This is a top notch production from beginning to end. Without a doubt, Sleeping Dogs is my favorite looking game of this kind. To compare, you have Grand Theft Auto IV and the Saints Row games, and I believe Sleeping Dogs is the most impressive looking of the bunch. While the map is smaller and surely allows for more details, it's those details that make the world feel like it's living and breathing, which adds to the overall atmosphere of this beautiful world that is yours to explore and discover all of the little secrets it has packed within it. Expand
  38. May 19, 2013
    Between its fantastic melee combat, rich visuals, engaging story and well-done RPG elements, Sleeping Dogs raises the bar of the open world genre. Your move, GTA.
  39. Jun 3, 2013
    This is one of the better open-world games not named Batman: Arkham City, GTA or Saints Row. The action in of itself is combination of both Batman and Saints Row with a tad more realism of GTA. The portrayal of Hong Kong is surprisingly accurate although abbreviated. The acting is amazing. The story has elements of Infernal Affairs and pays homages to other Hong Kong/martial arts films. The cons include the traveling between the islands of Hong Kong which should be improved (hopefully) by the next installment, and the constant use of items. The RPG-hybrid portion of the game is done very well. Overall, it's a must-buy although it still begs for some improvements. Expand
  40. Nov 6, 2012
    Best game i have played last year. Great story, great characters and incredible soundtrack. Detailizing huge city with superb atmosphere. And veeery good fights!)
  41. Aug 25, 2013
    A breath of fresh air in the open world genre. A game that allows for exploration through a non traditional open world environment (Hong Kong) and also a great list of characters that are superbly voice acted. The game takes a huge focus on hand to hand combat and does it so well with a number of brutal combos that include counters, heavy attacks, light attacks and special moves as well as the brutal environmental take downs. the driving is a lot of fun and feels very arcade style. there is lots to do including races, customizing cars, buying clothes, exploring the city, going out on dates and of course side missions for the triad and police groups. easily one of my favorite games of 2012. Expand
  42. Aug 31, 2012
    Combat and driving is great, the story is fantastic, the characters are very interesting and detailed. But best of all: YOU DONT HAVE your buddys and girlfriends constantly calling and annoying you, because they want to go to friggin Cluckin' Bell. lol ^^ I was very surprised as to how fun the game actually is, it's probably the best this year so far... so I'll give it a solid 9. :)
  43. Mar 23, 2013
    Once I started playing this game I played nothing else. Played 3 hours a day for over week until completion.

Is it a GTA clone? Well, yes but I found it a better game GTA shooting is very clunky where as the shooting in Sleeping Dogs is a lot better executed.

Also you don't use guns all that much and rely on hand to hand combat which is similar, but better than Batman Arkham
    Asylum City

Right now this game can be picked up for a very reasonable price and is well worth it if you like games like GTA, Saints Row or Red Dead Redemption
  44. Oct 17, 2012
    Don't know why this game is getting so much heat. The story was gripping, the fighting was fast paced awesomeness, the city was really well created and the driving was fun. Only gripe is that ended too damn quickly.
  45. Jan 5, 2013
    Normally I find only one good game per year. 2010 it was GTA IV. 2011 it was Red Dead Redemption. 2012 I found three: Metro 2033, L.A. Noire and Witcher 2. All three completely blew me away, I was spending nights in front of them. Now 2013 starts even better: Sleeping Dogs is way better than GTA IV, indeed it is even better than I suppose GTA 5 to become. Basically, you do the same things, open world with short fighting missions. What makes the difference, is the fighting and shooting with some RPG-style feature development. Also, graphics and animations are more than state of art. Finally, I like the plot and the characters. This game deserves a 10. Expand
  46. Nov 7, 2012
    Sleeping Dogs was a breath of fresh air. Its story was great and I can say it was a better story than Grand Theft Auto 4. Also the characters are memorable and I found myself caring for all of them. The collectible were addicting I found myself trying to get 100% completion and found each and every health shrine, cash box, and security camera. I highly recommend this game especially if its on sale. I give it a 9 out of 10 Expand
  47. Dec 28, 2012
    If we make a consensus in comparison to other years, we had a lot of sandbox games in 2012. So, why Sleeping Dogs? Besides having Lucy Liu and Emma Stone in the voice acting, Sleeping Dogs promised since the beginning of the rumours an entire Hong Kong just for us. And that's awesome. Square Enix has developed not only an amazingly immense sandbox but mixed it with a turbulent story involving a cop with a shadowy past, involved undercover in the chinese mafia. The story is good, but not as good as all the things you are allowed to do in the actual game. During the game, we will win (or lose) points depending on our actions, and these points can be Cop Points, Triad Points or Face Points. These points allow us to unlock perks which can make us steal weapons immediately from enemies, learn some incredible kung-fu moves or steal cars without anyone noticing (How cool is that?), and between the Cop missions and the Triad missions, we have also the secondary missions called Face missions (The one that unlocks Face Point, duh!). Also, the city has places were we can gamble, sing karaoke, dance, take a massage or...well...get a little bit of attention by the ladies. Also we have to find boxes and statues to unlock cool things, hack cameras, drive passangers as a bus drivers, and the list goes on. Sleeping Dogs is one of the most extense sandbox, where almost everything is possible. Unfortunately, there isn't online features, but still, there is a kind of leaderbord thing you can share with friends! (Oh my god! That's such a piece of sh**! No one cares about leaderbords!), but even alone, this sandbox is still fun, and the story also should please critics with its dramatic theme and outstanding voice acting. Also, the game looks awesome, the city is one of the best-designed cities I've ever seen in a video game and....and....I DON'T CARE! IT'S FREAKING AWESOME! So, fun? Check. Story? Check. Is it Superb? Well, no. It struggles to give a sort of wrong appeal. But well, it's good enough for a 9. Collapse
  48. May 7, 2013
    The game is incredibly good. And this is coming from a gamer who doesn't play any GTA or similar. The story is mature and good, Honk Kong is full of life, side-quests and collectibles and the gameplay is quite enjoyable in every way possible.
    And now is on 'Classics', so it's a must buy :D
  49. Mar 28, 2013
    This game is incredibly fun to play. If you don't like games with a storyline then you can still play this game. This is a free roam game that leaves you wanting to create mayhem all over the city just for the heck of it. It will leave you exploring for hours on end. If you don't care about that then the storyline is GREAT. You know it has a good story when you feel sympathetic towards the characters when something happens. The fighting system is great and the way they made the enemies glow when they are about to attack makes it not too hard and not too easy. Plus there's new moves you can learn and new guns you can equip the game is awesome! Overall this game is a must play for anyone. 9 out of 10. Expand
  50. Feb 21, 2013
    I'll tell you ahead of the game, beautiful, good, and boredom. I recommend.
    But there are graphical errors, I could not tell you anything. If you play the game out, then you can still do side missions. They are good.
  51. Mar 8, 2013
    wonderful game-play,stunning environments and a very believable plot worthy of a movie all make this a must play game and is truly a very unique gaming experience
  52. May 14, 2013
    This game is pretty much fantastic. I loved every aspect of it.

My main attraction to the game though was the fighting mechanics, if you've played Batman: Arkham Asylum City you will understand why. I love how fluent the fighting is, how you can string combos together and powerful moves to destroy a mass amount of enemies. I basically felt as if sometimes I wasn't actually playing the
    game, instead watching a great martial arts movie (I'm a sucker for those) with superb fighting scenes.

The graphics are nice and I love the culture that the game portrays, theres also a decent amount of things to do when not completing the story. I will say though that I was kind of disappointed at how short the story was, I wasn't mad at the developers for it though. It's simply because I enjoyed the game that much I sort of didn't want it to end so soon.

It's worth a buy if you're into free roam open world games with great fighting mechanics, fun races and a decent storyline. I recommended it to a few friends and they really enjoyed it.
  53. Apr 22, 2013
    Sleeping dogs is an amazing sandbox game from square enix, who in the last few years have had som pretty terrible games. the story is awesome way better then what gta has done in the past few attempts as you play both sides of the law in the game and the writing/voice acting int the game is top notch. there are some truely big stars in this one. the combat is alot like the latest batman games but with more depth such as unlockable combos and perks. the driving and gunplay are also quite good with the driving being quite arcady feeling and the guns dealing definative damage. the graphics in the game are definately not going to blow you away like crysis 3 or skyrim but they are seviceable and some of the textures are quite nice to look at. over all the game is quite amazing, the story is good, gameplay is enjoyable, and its a fairly long game if you want to get 100% completeion. also at 30 bucks used right now at gamestop, nows the best time to experience this gem. Expand
  54. Jun 6, 2013
    A surprisingly good game. A well-written enjoyable story combined with a living active Hong Kong makes Sleeping Dogs worth playing and for me every penny was well spent on this game. And the good news for Play Station Plus members is that the game is free for download. So for PS+ members there is absolutely no excuse not to download Sleeping Dogs. I even found the game more enjoying than GTA IV. Sleeping Dogs is ironically the sleeper hit of the game. Expand
  55. Dec 9, 2013
    There's really not a lot of flaws to find in this game, and I'm stretching to even point out the ones I did "find". Sure, we could go with the whole "GTA RIP OFF!!" nonsense, but let's be honest here: Sleeping Dogs doesn't hide the fact that it borrows heavily from the successful sandbox pioneer. Every sandbox game does. So let's skip that whole tripe and move on to deeper issues, and then let's talk about why I gave this game a solid 9.

For those of you who haven't picked up in what this game is about, it's fairly simple: Undercover cop with a shady past gets in over his head with Hong Kong's Triad gangs and chaos ensues. Wei Chen, the main character, is a solid fellow that I find myself rooting for throughout, and keeps things interesting with his little known past that pops up every once in awhile. He has a lot of depth, and that's a much needed factor when it comes to sandbox storylines. The gameplay is very GTA influenced, with cars ready to steal, guns ready to blaze, and odd jobs ready to be accomplished.

Now, moving on to the flaws (before I dive into anything else), as minute and nitpicky as it may seem, the fun and deep combat has some issues. While I enjoy it's Batman Arkham style gameplay, it doesn't flow as well. It feels slightly janky and somewhat unpolished. There are also graphical nit picks like characters arms and legs protruding through walls and that usual thing. Even the slow as molasses cursor for your map is kind of annoying. They couldn't make that slightly speedier? (If these are the only flaws I can find, than that's a good sign)

Despite those little nitpicky finds, this game is a remarkable play. It's graphics are lush, pretty, and detailed. The vehicle designs are outstanding. The city is large and full of things to look out for and do. The elements, like water and rain, are very well done. The sounds and voice acting are spot on and seamless, which is a triumph for sound editors to hear. The gameplay is fun and rewarding, and dare I say, outdoes any of it's sandbox counterparts. While the combat, as I said above, has its flaws, it's still fun to play, especially with an upgrade system that boosts your skills. The gunplay is a blast, like something out of a John Woo movie. The story is solid enough, although it had its weak moments. The game offers a buffet of things to do and lots of ways to earn money and skill points. Lastly, Sleeping Dogs offers one of the best vehicle control you've ever played in a game like this. Its fast, smooth, easy to control, and of course amazingly fun. Add elements like multi directional ramming, shooting out the window (John Woo style), bailing out at full speed, and hijacking other cars, and you've won me over lickity split.

Honestly, there's so much right with this game and so few things wrong, that it saddens me to know it didn't get the hype it deserved.  I would urge you to try this game out.
  56. Aug 5, 2013
    It's a delight to find a game that does a GTA game better than GTA. The combat is vastly superior to all entries of the GTA franchise, the storyline is tense and engage all the way through and the arcade-like style of driving makes for an exhilarating experience of Hong Kong...also makes me hungry for Pork Buns...
  57. Aug 18, 2013
    This game is simply fantastic. In the alley of the GTA series, this game brings something more to the genre. The world (Hongkong) feels alive and vivid, the combat system is good and fun, the main-missions and side-missions are exciting and the character you control that jumps between police and triad missions feels conflicted and interesting. In comparison with GTA IV this game feels a lot more complete in my opinion, and it sometimes feels like they took GTA IV and remade it the right way.

I wanted to write something negative about this game since there is always something with every game, but im really struggling to find something. This game just holds you tight for the entire ride, and its well worth buying!
  58. Jan 4, 2014
    Definitely a must buy. At first I thought that this game would be a mistake to buy but them after a few minutes I fell inlove with this game and all of the content that comes with it especially at the end leaving me with a sad face because a game as good as this should never end.
  59. Jan 2, 2014
    Sleeping Dogs was a real surprise hit for me; it’s a big, beautiful, invited open world that really does draw you in from the moment it begins. You start off on a rainy Hong Kong night as you are taking part in a drug deal that (as introductions like this so often do) goes horribly and violently wrong, you are almost immediately thrown head first into the action in what acts as a nice fluid tutorial mission that has Sleeping Dogs 2you sprinting through a fish market/harbour type place jumping over and across different obstacles and generally trying to parkour your way away from the pursuing police force. This gives you a really good chance to work on your timing which is a crucial part of the gameplay mechanics and whereas getting it wrong here won’t necessarily do anything but make you look like a dick, getting it wrong once you are released into the wild later on can and will swiftly become the death of you! After the chase and the first real (and quite frankly impressive looking) cutscene you are put back in control on Shen and thrown into what is to be expected of a game like this; the mandatory introduction mission. This mission has your old friend Jackie Ma taking you on a tour of the town, introducing you to some of the key characters in the game and giving you a chance to practice some of the key features of the game as well. Everything from the combat, to the way missions are rated, the shopping experiences and some of the side missions you can expect along the way.Sleeping Dogs 4

The combat system in Sleeping Dogs is something that has had a lot of time and care put into. It is beautifully simple to learn but devilishly tricky to master. You’re first introduction to the in-game fisticuffs come when you and Jackie and ambushed by a group of rival gang members and it gives you the chance to try out some of the more basic combo attacks as well as the heavy and light combinations. This is all seems pretty cool but then you are introduced to the grapple mechanic which is a nice touch, you are able to grab some of the weaker enemies, drag them around the room, toss them around and then eventually you are shown how to perform Sleeping Dogs 10environmental kills which, if I’m being honest, are awesome!! The first environmental kill you get to perform involves throwing someone onto a counter and slamming the metal shutters down onto them with full force. Beautifully violent indeed!! Now being able to punch people repeatedly is all well and good but it’s only going to get you so far; you’re also going to need to stay alive; this is where the countering and blocking system comes into play. Very much like the attacking system this is nice and simple at first but is tricky to master, especially later in the game when you start fighting larger groups of people.

The mission ranking system is handled very nicely as well, as you are in a constant conflict by Sleeping Dogs 6trying to climb the ranks of the Triads and still being a cop you have 2 different ratings for each mission; The Triad rating and the Cop rating. The Triad rating meter is fuelled by violence and by finding creative and destructive ways of defeating enemies whereas the cop rating starts off as a full meter and, as you can imagine, starts to empty as you do morally questionable things. Basically if you want a good overall rating on missions you can still be a raging punch machine but you can’t act like a reckless sociopath while you do it. This adds a very nice dynamic to the gameplay and makes you actually think about what you’re doing instead of acting like the Asian Hulk all the time.

Sleeping Dogs 8When you find yourself free from the confines of the storyline or you just fancy a break there is plenty to keep you distracted throughout Hong Kong; the main event being the Favour system. When you look at your map you can see it is covered by these little yellow icons, each of these is a favour that somebody needs doing, these range from silly little things like delivering something to someone or giving someone a ride all the way through to damned near gang warfare and with each favour you do for someone not only do you earn a little money for someone you also work towards filling you Face Meter. Think of the face meter as a universal karmic reward system; the higher your rating goes, the more cool you get to unlock. The favours aren’t the only distraction to be had however, if you just fancy taking in the sights or going on a little adventure that’s absolutely fine as Sleeping Dogs 5well as there is an incredibly huge amount of things that Hong Kong has to offer. Some of these things range from: gambling, putting money on a fight, going to get a “massage”, going to stretch your vocal muscles at a Karaoke bar, going shopping for a new car or some new clothes or hunting out some of the many, many collectables. What you do is completely up to you, no one is going to judge!

Full review: http://idiotbox.co.uk/sleeping-dogs-review/
  60. Jan 3, 2014
    Damn, this game was, and still is, great. Just beat it after 3 days of playing. The story was awesome, the combat was intense, and I could walk around for hours aimlessly, admiring the scenery. The graphics where beautiful, especially when it was raining. The sound track fit in well with every situation, and the radio has enough genres for everyone to enjoy. Still got more then 75% of the side missions to complete, barely started on the collectibles, and people to one up on the leader boards. Expand
  61. Mar 2, 2014
    Grand Theft Auto is known as setting the standard for adult open world games. And for the most part, it remains on top. However, all though it may rule with the sum of its parts, Sleeping Dogs manages to be so much better in some specific areas. Kung Fu is prominent in this game, lowering the overusage of gunfights, and giving an extremely fun combat system with nicely flowing animations, consistent challenge, and satisfying gameplay. The story is more focused, with characters just as interesting as GTA's. Driving feels more solid, with added action mechanics that offer a nice balance between the realism of GTA and the silliness of Saints Row. The graphics in the world of Hong Kong are beautifully detailed and drawn, massive, full of exploration and collectibles to be had.
    Buy this game now.
  62. Dec 28, 2012

1. Jan 14, 2013
    Sleeping Dogs had been in development as the next installment of Activision's "True Crime" franchise but the publisher ceased funding and cancelled it. Square Enix turned up to salvage the project and Sleeping Dogs was the result. The fact it turned out as good as it did -- that it's executed so well, performs as well as it does, sets the bar for open world combat and driving -- made Sleeping Dogs, story stumbles aside, the most surprising game of 2012.
  2. Sep 23, 2012
    As much as it may lack polish and finesse, Sleeping Dogs makes up for its minor shortcomings with pure entertainment. [Issue#89,p.78]
  3. Sep 18, 2012
    Sleeping Dogs is an addictive diamond in the rough with a compelling story and insane combat only slightly let down by poor driving and racing mechanics. [Oct 2012, p.54]