Soldier of Fortune: Payback Xbox 360

5.6

1. FuzY
    Dec 17, 2007
    I've always been a fan of the SoF series for it's 'mindless' gameplay. By that I mean it's like those movies that you just switch off and enjoy. If you've been playing some story heavy games recently like I have then Soldier of Fortune is a good way of clearing your head (no pun intended!). Graphically it seems unfinished as some areas just seem to lack any I've always been a fan of the SoF series for it's 'mindless' gameplay. By that I mean it's like those movies that you just switch off and enjoy. If you've been playing some story heavy games recently like I have then Soldier of Fortune is a good way of clearing your head (no pun intended!). Graphically it seems unfinished as some areas just seem to lack any texture - like faces and weapons - where as other areas look quite nice. The controls seem a bit sluggish at first but can be helped by turning the sensitivity up. With all the great shooters on the 360 at the moment SoF will be easily lost in the crowd but if you see it preowned or discounted (like I did) it's worth a look and should entertain for a short while, as long as you don't take it to seriously. Expand
  2. BigDaddyDavee
    May 27, 2008
    This game isn't as bad as people have made it out to be. I agree that it is definately unfinished, has poor framerates at times and does nothing new at all. It is however, fun. The shooting mechanic is very tight and the graphics are good.
  3. Apr 20, 2013
    Just paid $10 (NZ) for this and I have given it a 7 even though I am still playing the single player campaign for the first time. What a time warp. Developed in 2007 it looks more like a 20th Century N64 game. Basically, it looks TERRIBLE, Sounds TERRIBLE, (some of the worst voice acting ever) and is infested with more flaws than I care to name. BUT................... It's a cracking, oldJust paid $10 (NZ) for this and I have given it a 7 even though I am still playing the single player campaign for the first time. What a time warp. Developed in 2007 it looks more like a 20th Century N64 game. Basically, it looks TERRIBLE, Sounds TERRIBLE, (some of the worst voice acting ever) and is infested with more flaws than I care to name. BUT................... It's a cracking, old school shooter that asks nothing of you but to blast your way through every mission, no thought required. Brilliant......... Ten Bucks well spent. Expand

1. The bland story mode, despite whisking you away to numerous locations, features lame brain artificial intelligence, a boring narrative, corny characters and the same point A to point B objectives, making it worth just a few hours of play.
    Soldier of Fortune: Payback has one thing going for it: excessive dismemberment. Everything else is standard stuff for a shooter. Yet, I must admit, that I get a guilty pleasure playing Payback. Though it's not a good game, it's still fun to see body parts fly.
  3. As cliché shooters go, Payback is no "Black," but it's not bad either. If all you're looking for is a predictable, middle-of-the-road shooter - you know, like if you just beat "Mass Effect" and want to rent a couple hours of mindless mayhem - you could do better, but you could also do a lot worse.