Sonic Generations Xbox 360

8.3

1. Dec 12, 2011
    It's much better than some other Sonic games, but still not that awesome. 2D Sonic is back, and it's amazing, but maybe SEGA thought Modern Sonic is better and focused the game on him. Only one boss fight is with Classic Sonic, and it has something Modern in it. Other bosses are with 3D Sonic and are really boring to pass. I have never seen a boss with a timer, and the final one in SonicIt's much better than some other Sonic games, but still not that awesome. 2D Sonic is back, and it's amazing, but maybe SEGA thought Modern Sonic is better and focused the game on him. Only one boss fight is with Classic Sonic, and it has something Modern in it. Other bosses are with 3D Sonic and are really boring to pass. I have never seen a boss with a timer, and the final one in Sonic Generations has got it (for a cool reason, but it's got it). But the game is so gorgeous, and with amazing levels, that I can't give it less than 7. Though, if this game was only 2D Sonic, I would have gave it a 10. Expand
  2. Nov 4, 2011
    Generations is a really decent game but suffers some very serious drawbacks that frustrate more then please. But first on the good end of things. For the PS3 the graphics are all created in stunning HD. The landscapes and levels are wonderfully crafted both in graphics and in other details like sound. The game is a wonderful nostalgia trip for old time Sonic players with some levelGenerations is a really decent game but suffers some very serious drawbacks that frustrate more then please. But first on the good end of things. For the PS3 the graphics are all created in stunning HD. The landscapes and levels are wonderfully crafted both in graphics and in other details like sound. The game is a wonderful nostalgia trip for old time Sonic players with some level call backs that can be played both as the modern version and classic version of Sonic. The music is all remixed to fit the mood of the old level depending on what character you play. The story is fun but surprisingly simple, though not too surprising after a series of over the top and mediocre storylines. The game features a lot of unlockables such as old music and artwork and even a playable Sonic 1 game.

Unfortunately the game has seriously heavy drawbacks which keep me from going higher which is a shame because I honestly thought this would be the best Sonic game of all time. Physics are okay however they are choppy. Suffering some of the same lag and drawbacks as Sonic 4 and taking away some abilities gained in previous titles that would be more than handy. Getting stuck on walls while homing, not climbing loops, unable to clear small gaps and an unstable control that prevents you running in a straight line. The game wants you to rely on near cat like reflexes to navigate tight corners and manage to make it to the goal in one piece. Too often the camera gets stuck on one of these corners and you loose all track of where you are. Some of the stages are just downright ridiculous, Shadow's boss fight requires you to navigate a large plane while spamming the boost button to collect power ups to defeat him. With the so-so hit detection it's very difficult to fight the Egg Dragoon which requires precision use of the homing attack. The Final Boss is just undeniably cruel as it lacks any adequate instruction to defeat it and lacks an adequate supply of rings to maintain super form. It's understandable a Final Boss would be difficult but this is simply too difficult as navigating a large 3D Environment while trying to maintain a ring count and dodge debris is simply too much.

For those of us who per-ordered we'll be very disappointed to find the unlockable Casino Night Zone is nothing more than a trumped up minigame of Pinball that you could play on your PC. I'd say it wasn't worth the extra $5, which leads to the final problem is this game is simply too short. A great 20th Anniversary edition title with remakes of old classic levels is ridiculously short. The one thing that adds to continued time is a lot of pointless minigames but not an extra bundle of classic levels or a more expansive storyline to show off the new cast. Such a short game hardly justifies a $50 cost.

Painful as it is to nitpick I still felt this game could have been so much more. Sonic Colors was enjoyable with a lot of speed and a modest amount of platforming and even a fun gimmick. This game has a lot of platforming and not enough speed and an unstable control scheme. The game is certainly worth a play but it isn't worth $50. Those anxious to play will find it fun, and I did find it fun but I also found it very frustrating Earns a 6.5. The game deserved a bit more for the cost.
  3. Feb 19, 2012
    I am a huge sonic fan, have been since the master system, and having recently got sonic CD (from xbla arcade and loved it!!) I was optimistic about this game, I had played the demo and really enjoyed the 2D stages. Having played this game through to completion though I can say that it is overall uninspired and a real missed oppourtunity for some new 2D sonic creativity. While theI am a huge sonic fan, have been since the master system, and having recently got sonic CD (from xbla arcade and loved it!!) I was optimistic about this game, I had played the demo and really enjoyed the 2D stages. Having played this game through to completion though I can say that it is overall uninspired and a real missed oppourtunity for some new 2D sonic creativity. While the levels remain fun and engaging (for the most part) the problem comes with the way they set up the unlock system, you are just running through certain parts of the same level continuosly to unlock special items. At first they are a nice touch but then you realise they're only there to prolong the longevity of a game that in all fairness (2D and 3D stages) could easily be completed in a weekend if you did'nt do the challenges. The game in itself is not a bad game, but the fact that they have re-hashed old bosses (there is only one 2D level boss in the whole game!!) and the ones they've added themselves are very uninspired, the final boss fight is infuriating, boring and just not a fun end to the game. Best part of this game for me was the 2D levels, they are beautifully realised, and original sonic controls well, 3D levels are good if somewhat awkward to control at the top speeds, but I've always preferred the 2D sonics. Having bought this game new at a bargain price of 14.99 I was very glad I didn't buy it for full price when it was first released, I would have been very annoyed. Ok so overall the game does a nice job of fan service with great unlockables, such as concept art, music and the like, it's just a shame in the tedious way you have to go about unlocking them. 2D levels are a blast, 3D are above average but not say on the level of a 3D mario. Boss fights for me were a total let down, I really feel they were a missed oppurtunity to create more ORIGINAL and ENJOYABLE, challenging yet fair duels between sonic and his rivals. Oh and you can unlock sonic 1 from the megadrive (more good fan service). So for me this game wasn't a total let down, sega gave a great fan service with the game but I just can't bring myself to give it above a 6 I want to give it at least a 7 but the overall game is not deserving of it, if you're thinking about getting this game and you haven't played sonic CD, I recommend picking that up instead on XBLA for just 400MS points it's a real gem at a bargain price!! Expand
  4. Nov 4, 2011
    Sooo disappointed with this game. The classic sonic 2d levels are awesome with great graphics and sounds, but.... Modern 3d levels are garbage (too many annoying sudden gaps to randomly fall down and die), cutscenes are garbage (too many stupid friends turn it into a kiddies game), challenges are garbage (thankfully u dnt have to play many frustratingly boring mini games) and bosses areSooo disappointed with this game. The classic sonic 2d levels are awesome with great graphics and sounds, but.... Modern 3d levels are garbage (too many annoying sudden gaps to randomly fall down and die), cutscenes are garbage (too many stupid friends turn it into a kiddies game), challenges are garbage (thankfully u dnt have to play many frustratingly boring mini games) and bosses are rubbish drawn-out affairs. The good classic 2d parts are a refreshing change of pace from all the shooting games, but nowhere near worth the price. Would have been much better if they just scrapped the modern era trash, and just stuck to the classic 2d sonic released as sonic 4 episode 2. Expand
  5. Mar 21, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After a slew of average-bad 3d sonic games and a horrendous 2d sonic (In my opinion), Sonic Generations is given to us. This is a tricky one with me personally......ugh....

Pros:
    Game looks nice, all of the environments tend to look good and reflect nicely on Sonic's past.
    Game controls well, Sonic makes all the right turns and moves perfectly.
    Soundtrack is very nostalgic for hardcore Sonic players. You will probably like it.
    Gameplay is generally balanced, the 2d and 3d Sonic sections are mostly spread out evenly and is done well.

BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT

Cons:
    During the 3D Sonic sections, there are moments where the game shoddily transitions into 2D, this is absolutely atrocious where it happens. It feels cheap and clunky like Sonic 4 and nobody wants that.
    There are challenges in the game and you would think that they are optional.....NOPE!!!! You have to do at least 1 challenge per level in each third of the game if you want to progress. WHATS DA POIIIIIINNNNTTTTTT??!??!?!?!??!
    The final boss is the reason I think this game is mediocre. Genuinely. It is horrible, messy, clunky, confusing, annoying, repetitive and it ruins the whole game. Yes, Mass Effect 3 had an underwhelming conclusion, but at least ME3 consistently keeps the FUNCTIONAL gameplay and only caused an outrage WITH A SINGLE CUTSCENE. It didn't bother me that much, but the battle in Sonic Generations is frustrating in every way and ruins everything. The quality plummets in comparison with the rest of the game.

In my opinion, Sonic Generations could have been the perfect Sonic comeback we deserve, but with such a horrible final boss, it is very obvious that Sega rushed out the game before they had the time to decide whether that boss was a good idea. I'm sorry, but that boss made me rage multiple times. I know, I suck at games.

8/10 (Original Score)
    5/10 (Just because of that stupid boss, the rest of the game is actually very good)
  6. Feb 8, 2014
    This is a love letter to the Sonic series that has fan service galore. With two different styles of gameplay and remixed versions of levels from almost every Sonic game up until this point, this is sure to bring a smile to the face of any longtime Sonic fan who plays it. However there have been a lot of bad Sonic games, and the remixed versions of levels from those games made "Generations"This is a love letter to the Sonic series that has fan service galore. With two different styles of gameplay and remixed versions of levels from almost every Sonic game up until this point, this is sure to bring a smile to the face of any longtime Sonic fan who plays it. However there have been a lot of bad Sonic games, and the remixed versions of levels from those games made "Generations" remind of both the good and the bad times Sonic games have brought me over the years.

The overall quality of the game is good, and the remixed versions of these levels are without a doubt better than their original versions, but they do bring some unnecessary frustration to the mix. The story behind why we are reliving these moments in Sonic gaming history, complete with gorgeous visuals and an outstanding soundtrack, is your typical convoluted and nonsensical Sonic affair. Even though the plot is throwaway it is still filled with hilarious moments, references, and serves as a way to let gamers know why they are seeing two Sonics.

That's right there are two Sonics, each of whom bring their own style of gameplay to the mix. The Sonic of the past brings the classic 2D gameplay of the Genesis era, while modern Sonic brings the the current 3D style of gameplay that the modern Sonic games are known for. For the most part both styles work well, but modern Sonic suffers from control issues that can lead to irritating deaths and classic Sonic's jump feels random in accuracy. Still, both styles of gameplay are fun and the control issues only really cause an issue on the more frustration levels.

Overall I did enjoy "Generations" and recommend it to Sonic fans new or old. It's not my favorite Sonic game, and some of the levels reminded me of why I used to hate Sonic games not too long ago, but the good outweighs the bad here. The levels are mostly well made and feature branching paths throughout. There is enough content here to please longtime Sonic fans as well as newcomers, even if it isn't the most polished content out there.

This is a good modern Sonic game and there aren't a lot of those. It makes a lot of mistakes that made me originally hate the Sonic series, but overall it does enough right that it manages to best a lot of the crap that has come from this series. It will bring memories of Sonic that are both good and bad, but the good memories are at the forefront here and make this game recommendable.
  7. Jul 7, 2012
    Mixed feelings about this game. Some of it is excellent, controlling both classic and modern sonic for the same levels is a really good idea and there are lots of missions and unlockables. Many of the levels, particularly Green Hill and Rooftop Run, are the best you will ever find in a sonic game ever and it's nice to see all the characters from the series back again. However the lack ofMixed feelings about this game. Some of it is excellent, controlling both classic and modern sonic for the same levels is a really good idea and there are lots of missions and unlockables. Many of the levels, particularly Green Hill and Rooftop Run, are the best you will ever find in a sonic game ever and it's nice to see all the characters from the series back again. However the lack of environments is disappointing. They are great, but I was surprised to find myself arriving at the end boss so quickly. There just aren't enough main missions, and they made a few odd choices (why would anyone want to revisit Crisis City?). There are lots of sub-missions but they are very mixed in quality, to say the least. The designers seem to have made a point of including as many of the sonic series characters as possible in the missions, and usually in very contrived and annoying ways. So on one level you have to race Amy by riding a frustrating spinner machine, another you see you calling on a character to throw you across large gaps. However these just seem to take away from what makes sonic great - racing through a level at high speed avoiding traps and doing lots of homing attacks. A lot of the sub-missions are very frustrating. This all reminds me of the problems SEGA had with Sonic Unleashed (imho a better game overall). With Sonic Unleashed it would have been better if they'd just forgotten about the were-hog and done all day levels instead. With Sonic generations it would have been better if they'd forgotten about including all the characters from the series in the missions, ditched half the sub-missions and had more main mission environments instead. Sonic Generations is still a great game, but for me it fell a little short of its potential. Expand
  8. Feb 5, 2012
    First of all, this game is good. The graphics are fantastic for sonic title. The story is somewhat tolerable. I kinda wished that his friends would all grow up and you know get careers or something. The first like 6-9 stages are pretty good. However this game took a brilliant risk by even aknowledging the existence of recent Sonic releases such as Sonic Unleashed. That is where the gameFirst of all, this game is good. The graphics are fantastic for sonic title. The story is somewhat tolerable. I kinda wished that his friends would all grow up and you know get careers or something. The first like 6-9 stages are pretty good. However this game took a brilliant risk by even aknowledging the existence of recent Sonic releases such as Sonic Unleashed. That is where the game started to lose me. I think the only reason didn't receive a lower score from me, is because of the tribute to classic stages such as Green Hill Zone and that one industrial stage from Sonic 2. This is definetly a game for hardcore Sonic fans. Expand
  9. Nov 20, 2011
    This game is the best game they have made in a while, It is very close to the classic sonic and the original formula is what I enjoyed the most. The drawbacks are the flow of the levels has no connections its just 9 randomly chosen levels 6 of which aren't even from the earlier sonic games. The first 3 are from sega genesis sonic and are the best levels in the game and the rest are from asThis game is the best game they have made in a while, It is very close to the classic sonic and the original formula is what I enjoyed the most. The drawbacks are the flow of the levels has no connections its just 9 randomly chosen levels 6 of which aren't even from the earlier sonic games. The first 3 are from sega genesis sonic and are the best levels in the game and the rest are from as recent as sonic colors. Not sure why that is in a game called sonic generations. It can be hard to get up speed after stopping and going into a roll will only cause sonic to stop unlike the classic games where you could spin-dash around loops and such. The good is that it almost feels like the real deal, sometimes you forget you're playing a recent sonic game. The remixed songs and memories are very fun to relive with the new engine. To me this game is a 7 and the sonic team is definitely on the right track. In order to keep this momentum they should release a sonic generations 2 and sonic generations 3 with at least 15 levels selected from sonic 1, 2, 3 , 3d blast, sonic adventure, sonic heroes, and sonic unleashed. Next time throw in every level from every "classic" sonic game and you've got yourself a AAA game my friend! btw Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) game is not a classic game why is it in Sonic Generations. Expand
  10. Dec 31, 2011
    Overall a good game, however it could have been so much better!! The first 3 stages are very very good re-mixes of 2d sonic from Sonic 1,2,3 & Knuckles (depending on how you look at it). However from there on wards the game goes down hill, only 3 boss stages for the whole game, each stage only has 2 acts and the challenges are not nearly enough to keep you playing. The cinematic scenesOverall a good game, however it could have been so much better!! The first 3 stages are very very good re-mixes of 2d sonic from Sonic 1,2,3 & Knuckles (depending on how you look at it). However from there on wards the game goes down hill, only 3 boss stages for the whole game, each stage only has 2 acts and the challenges are not nearly enough to keep you playing. The cinematic scenes are very boring and look rushed in comparison to Sonic unleashed which could be compared to a pixar movie for quality. The white backgrounds of the limbo world are well...white and plain! making the hub world very boring.

This said. The Chemical Plant and Emerald Hill Zone are two of the best 2d and 3d sonic levels I have ever played. The quality of these two stages appears to be higher than all the rest. I would have loved to have seen more levels from the 2d sonic era and this mostly because the quality of the first 3 stages 2d and 3d is excellent. The level design is great, I would have liked to have seen one of the snow stages and a water stage. this would have really improved this game, 3 of the stages are city based which is pretty repetitive.

Get this game but dont pay full price, it was £6 on steam the other day in the run up to xmas.
  11. Jan 17, 2012
    I had a blast playing through Sonic Generations, even though it had several glaring flaws. Half the stages are city themed (despite Sonic having a rich and diverse history of stages). Modern Sonic is often buggy (homing attack bugs and falling through the environment are the two most common). Boss fights, especially the last two are tedious and not any fun at all. Despite these flaws,I had a blast playing through Sonic Generations, even though it had several glaring flaws. Half the stages are city themed (despite Sonic having a rich and diverse history of stages). Modern Sonic is often buggy (homing attack bugs and falling through the environment are the two most common). Boss fights, especially the last two are tedious and not any fun at all. Despite these flaws, there's a ton of content here, and most of it will keep a smile on your face. The skill feature was a surprising and welcome addition as well. Expand
  12. Apr 19, 2014
    This game is alright, but it is too short. The 3D levels are so easy, that it takes no effort to beat them. However, the Colors level is so repetitive and boring that I wanted to quit forever. The 2D levels are also disappointing, as they are nowhere near as good as the Genesis levels. While I did have fun, it was short lived just like the game was. I was shocked at how short this gameThis game is alright, but it is too short. The 3D levels are so easy, that it takes no effort to beat them. However, the Colors level is so repetitive and boring that I wanted to quit forever. The 2D levels are also disappointing, as they are nowhere near as good as the Genesis levels. While I did have fun, it was short lived just like the game was. I was shocked at how short this game was. The only way I can recommend this game is if you rented it, because it is not worth $30. I can't believe they even launched it for $60. Expand
  13. Jan 31, 2014
    Make no mistake, Sonic Generations is a step up from the series' misguided foray into the third dimension. Classic sonic stages are a breath of fresh air that are immensely satisfying and fun to play through. Relying far more on skill and quick thinking, they fare far better than the Act 2 Modern Sonic stages.

Unfortunately, Sega still haven't quite figured out how to handle 3D well.

Unfortunately, Sega still haven't quite figured out how to handle 3D well. These stages suffer from ridiculous control issues and twitch based gameplay that is more frustrating than fun. You will constantly be starting and stopping without prior knowledge of the stage, denying you the sense of speed you really crave.

As far as the graphics go, all the remade stages look very pretty, with minimal performance issues. The soundtrack too, is pretty good with some standout tracks, with a few being forgettable at worst. The story is pretty paper thin, but it's far better to have a minimalist story than a completely **** crazy one like Sonic '06 for example.

Sonic Generations is a step in the right direction. If Sega can manage to handle Sonic in 3D, they might be onto a real winner in the future, but who knows if they'll ever have enough blast processing for that.
  14. Sep 20, 2014
    This game is a real nostalgia-gasm for old school gamers who grew up with Sonic the Hedgehog. The concept is great and it's good fun, but the game is not without its problems. For me I thought a lot of the bosses were terribly designed. They weren't intuitive and were real head scratchers. It wasn't straight forward. It just led to a lot of frustrations.

And the level design was a bit

And the level design was a bit wonky too. There's just so much going on, and it's overly busy. It's not like the old school Sonic games where it's left to right, and fairly straight forward. Every minute you're falling off a cliffside, or just not hitting your mark.

The controls weren't too great either. Something about it felt too loose. But overall I think this is worth a look if you like Sonic the Hedgehog. It's new Sonic and old Sonic combined.
  15. Apr 28, 2014
    A great game, makes me happy everyday
    the is a simple story and sometimes ilogic
    But the gameplay is perfect
    The Music and Soundtrack are just Remixes, but never disappoint me
    The graphics are awesome
    Is short, but is a good game
  16. Sep 16, 2016
    This isn't a terrible game, but I would have enjoyed it a lot more if it ran at 60 fps. As far as I remember, I haven't played a 2D or 3D Sonic game that runs at 30 fps. When Sonic is running really fast, things just blur together with the low framerate. Dammit Microsoft, I hope the Xbox One has Blast Processing!

1. Feb 10, 2012
    You won't be disappointed by the changes that have been made to make this a great experience.
  2. Dec 11, 2011
    Sonic Generations lets you play as two different Sonics, one from the present and one from the past. The first levels are fantastic, but the level design soon gets dull. The time trials and the music is good though.
  3. Pelit (Finland)
    Dec 9, 2011
    It's somewhat short and the boss battles are truly awful, but otherwise Sonic Generations is a solid platformer. Revisiting old levels is nostalgic and having two Sonics to control is a nice touch. [Dec 2011]