8.1

1. Oct 22, 2014
    Finally the Sonic game i have waited for it is outstanding combing everything that makes the character and games great. the gameplay is throughly enjoyable no matter which sonic you play as and revisiting these levels is great nostalgia highly recommended to any Sonic fan and heres hoping future games will adopt this style of gameplay
  2. Oct 19, 2014
    Easily one of the best 3D Sonics ever made. The story was good ole Sonic Fun. And it also had a lot of good nostalgia with the levels. My only complaint is that it all felt too short.
  3. Oct 10, 2014
    It fulfills the promise of a Sonic game much better than anything the Japanese developer has done before. Sonic Generations is stupendous, with it's constant variety and expert level design still proves that Sega still knows how to tweak their Sonic Formula in fun ways.
  4. Sep 24, 2014
    The best game that SEGA could do to homage the fans of Sonic series. Everything is cool: graphics, music, level design, classic and modern in just one game, and the dialogues that jokes his own series. Incredible!
  5. Sep 20, 2014
    This game is a real nostalgia-gasm for old school gamers who grew up with Sonic the Hedgehog. The concept is great and it's good fun, but the game is not without its problems. For me I thought a lot of the bosses were terribly designed. They weren't intuitive and were real head scratchers. It wasn't straight forward. It just led to a lot of frustrations.

And the level design was a bit
    wonky too. There's just so much going on, and it's overly busy. It's not like the old school Sonic games where it's left to right, and fairly straight forward. Every minute you're falling off a cliffside, or just not hitting your mark.

The controls weren't too great either. Something about it felt too loose. But overall I think this is worth a look if you like Sonic the Hedgehog. It's new Sonic and old Sonic combined.
  6. Aug 20, 2014
    This game was released on 3DS, but also has an X360 version! This version features better, though non-3D graphics, decent control (especially on the classic stages), and a really awesome area where you can play your favourite Sonic music again and again. The 3D stages are rather fun, but I personally find them infuriating, although their control is decent (The 3D control isn't as good as Sonic The Hedgehog, also X360, though, which came five years earlier. Seriously?). A good game overall. Expand
  7. Jul 21, 2014
    This game is fun a bag of fun You can switch between 2D gameplay, and 3D gameplay. It take the best elements of 2D and 3D sonic and recreates some of the best levels from previous sonic games. One of the best sonic games.
  8. Apr 28, 2014
    A great game, makes me happy everyday
    the is a simple story and sometimes ilogic
    But the gameplay is perfect
    The Music and Soundtrack are just Remixes, but never disappoint me
    The graphics are awesome
    Is short, but is a good game
  9. Apr 23, 2014
    Sonic Gereations is one of the best 3D Sonic games put out by far in my opinion. It's face paced, colorful, and describes the 20 years of Sonic to a tee. The problems I have with Sonic Generations are very small but important to me. The first is boss fights being a tad on the easy side. Fun, but easy. The final boss is very confessing in that it's hard to tell when you've done something right, and the game plays things very safe. Which isn't bad. Over all if you like Sonic the Hedgehog, chances are you already have it, or a fan of platformers, you should give this one a go. Expand
  10. Apr 19, 2014
    This game is alright, but it is too short. The 3D levels are so easy, that it takes no effort to beat them. However, the Colors level is so repetitive and boring that I wanted to quit forever. The 2D levels are also disappointing, as they are nowhere near as good as the Genesis levels. While I did have fun, it was short lived just like the game was. I was shocked at how short this game was. The only way I can recommend this game is if you rented it, because it is not worth $30. I can't believe they even launched it for $60. Expand
  11. Mar 19, 2014
    Sonic Generations will do what it says in the title, and take you through the Generations of sonic the hedgehog. Reliving some of the best and - unfortunately - worst moments in Sonic's years of running through the world

Graphics: The smooth graphics and dynamic color pallet with incredible shading is remarkable, and the blur effects for the modern sonic dash attacks is simply
    outstanding as to how well it works together. The graphics - however - do push the system to its limits, and you can occasionally find frame-rate chops or momentary lag. It's not enough to ruin a game, and is thankfully rare in most cases.

Game play: The negative part of the game play is the bias towards modern Sonic and very short storyline. Even if you choose to do the challenges, find all five red rings in a level, the game play is very short lived and following the story alone is even shorter. In terms of the bosses, you face two bosses as Modern Sonic and one as Retro Sonic, the final boss is - as many will, did, and should expect - tag team between the two. As a sonic veteran, having played many of Sonic's best and worst games (sonic labyrinth, just why SEGA? Y_Y) I was very disappointed with how you do not revisit some of the most nostalgic bosses from the older Sonic games such as Sonic CD, Sonic 3, Sonic & Knuckles, etc. The game play - short lived as it is - provides a huge refreshment to nostalgia with revamped music and remastered bosses and levels, themed after some of the BEST moments in Sonic's history. You get to enjoy the epic 2D classic and 3D modern sonic game play styles, with challenges from older games, revamped with many improvements and epic moments.

Storyline: The storyline itself is very obvious to many people, and - as stated before - is very short lived. The story itself doesn't really excite you much as there are very minimal plot twists or intriguing details. However, by revisiting some of the older games, we can see how much Sonic has changed - for the better and worse - over the years.

Character Development: The character development is rather minimalistic, with very minimal use of their personalities and barely any use other than to find out secrets in levels - such as locations of the red rings - and take part in one of the cheesiest cut scenes I've ever seen in the final stage. You also get to hear Omochao with one of the worst voice acting they ever gave to the robotic creature - thankfully disabling Omochao is an option.

Unfulfilled Expectations: As a Sonic Veteran, I have longed to see a return of the Chao Gardens as well as special stages. The Chao Gardens was one of the most relaxing and adorable mini-games the Sonic franchise gave us during the Sonic Adventure games, and the special stages (such as the ones from Sonic, Sonic 2, Sonic CD and Sonic 3) provided a bit of a hidden challenge. Annoying? Perhaps, but a classic thing that gave players a challenge. In Sonic Generations - and most games nowadays - you earn chaos emeralds during the story, but have no use for them. In this case especially, there's no use of the chaos emeralds (outside the final boss) until you've completed the game AND purchased an upgrade. Upgrades were an interesting add-on to modern sonic games, but they can be tedious and make minimal sense. Given how you can use the chaos emeralds to turn super sonic AFTER purchasing the upgrade - which is ONLY available AFTER finishing the main storyline - really leaves me with great disappointment. The rival battles, however, add an interesting twist to some of Sonic's older battles, but unfortunately, do not satisfy some of the nostalgia that was expected; mainly due to the short length of the battles. The final boss - however - was the biggest disappointment I have seen in a Sonic game in ages. The battle itself is too easy and more so luck based. It is highly predictable in many cases, however in other cases, some attacks are near-impossible to dodge due to either lack of time to react, lag issues, or glitched hit boxes. Some abilities, such as the time slow, aren't even threatening, just a nuisance to deal with as they do nearly nothing but slow the entire battle down. From the three other bosses they offer, the final boss is a huge disappointment in comparison.

Conclusion: Despite how much negativity that people may have picked up from minor, Sonic Generations is a very fun and VERY satisfying game in many places. Several spots need improvement, but SEGA has shown us how our favorite blue hedgehog has come, and with a secret unlockable that lets you relive the first of the Sonic series, we are given a game with many variations in design, with multiple ways to clear a level - much like in the old Sonic Games - and a game play even a six year old can master. I hope SEGA will look at this and realize what made Sonic great, improve it, and release something truly remarkable.
  12. Feb 8, 2014
    Sure it's only like 2 hours, but it's a damn excellent two hours. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  13. Feb 8, 2014
    This is a love letter to the Sonic series that has fan service galore. With two different styles of gameplay and remixed versions of levels from almost every Sonic game up until this point, this is sure to bring a smile to the face of any longtime Sonic fan who plays it. However there have been a lot of bad Sonic games, and the remixed versions of levels from those games made "Generations" remind of both the good and the bad times Sonic games have brought me over the years.

The overall quality of the game is good, and the remixed versions of these levels are without a doubt better than their original versions, but they do bring some unnecessary frustration to the mix. The story behind why we are reliving these moments in Sonic gaming history, complete with gorgeous visuals and an outstanding soundtrack, is your typical convoluted and nonsensical Sonic affair. Even though the plot is throwaway it is still filled with hilarious moments, references, and serves as a way to let gamers know why they are seeing two Sonics.

That's right there are two Sonics, each of whom bring their own style of gameplay to the mix. The Sonic of the past brings the classic 2D gameplay of the Genesis era, while modern Sonic brings the the current 3D style of gameplay that the modern Sonic games are known for. For the most part both styles work well, but modern Sonic suffers from control issues that can lead to irritating deaths and classic Sonic's jump feels random in accuracy. Still, both styles of gameplay are fun and the control issues only really cause an issue on the more frustration levels.

Overall I did enjoy "Generations" and recommend it to Sonic fans new or old. It's not my favorite Sonic game, and some of the levels reminded me of why I used to hate Sonic games not too long ago, but the good outweighs the bad here. The levels are mostly well made and feature branching paths throughout. There is enough content here to please longtime Sonic fans as well as newcomers, even if it isn't the most polished content out there.

This is a good modern Sonic game and there aren't a lot of those. It makes a lot of mistakes that made me originally hate the Sonic series, but overall it does enough right that it manages to best a lot of the crap that has come from this series. It will bring memories of Sonic that are both good and bad, but the good memories are at the forefront here and make this game recommendable.
  14. Jan 31, 2014
    Make no mistake, Sonic Generations is a step up from the series' misguided foray into the third dimension. Classic sonic stages are a breath of fresh air that are immensely satisfying and fun to play through. Relying far more on skill and quick thinking, they fare far better than the Act 2 Modern Sonic stages.

Unfortunately, Sega still haven't quite figured out how to handle 3D well.
    These stages suffer from ridiculous control issues and twitch based gameplay that is more frustrating than fun. You will constantly be starting and stopping without prior knowledge of the stage, denying you the sense of speed you really crave.

As far as the graphics go, all the remade stages look very pretty, with minimal performance issues. The soundtrack too, is pretty good with some standout tracks, with a few being forgettable at worst. The story is pretty paper thin, but it's far better to have a minimalist story than a completely **** crazy one like Sonic '06 for example.

Sonic Generations is a step in the right direction. If Sega can manage to handle Sonic in 3D, they might be onto a real winner in the future, but who knows if they'll ever have enough blast processing for that.
  15. Jan 9, 2014
    A great Sonic game and one of the best Sonic games in a while. Stunning visuals, high-octane platforming, great soundtrack and just a ton of fun to play. While the story is rather-lacking, this game is my 2nd favorite Sonic game.
  16. Dec 21, 2013
    With the best elements of both Unleashed and Colors Sonic Generations is easily one of the best 3D sonic games since the days of the dream cast. Sonic Generations has truly fantastic level design for both classic and modern sonic with a kick ass soundtrack to boot. The only area where this game falls short is with the final boss it is very confusing and hitting the time eater feels almost completely luck based. If you have not picked this game up yet a seriously encourage you to do so now. Expand
  17. Dec 12, 2013
    Sonic Generations marks the 20th anniversary of the Blue blur, and with celebrations of our beloved gaming icon, a game also joins the club. And what kind of game is it?

The game allows you to play with 2 Sonics. One from the good old genesis days and one from the modern Sonic days. Sounds confusing? Well, time travel is always confusing so don't point at me. The two Sonics are on their
    way to save their friends, speeding through stages of the past and fix the timeline.

The gameplay is fun for everyone, either an old skool Sonic fan or a new one, or even someone who has never been part of this franchise. Like playing old platformers with speed added, classic Sonic is your friend! More of a 3d speed section fan, modern Sonic is the guy you want! You'll have to play with both of them to complete the game but don't worry, you'll enjoy it.

The music consists mainly of older Sonic themes being remixed. For example, when you go through a stage you will hear two versions, a classic version and a modern version of the original stage theme. And they are absolutely a joy to listen to.

Other things also make a return or are brand new. There are mission gates which allows you to go through stages with an other goal than reach the finish, and there's a skill shop in which you can adjust Sonic's gameplay style to your own. Want more speed? Buy the blast off skill. Want more grip? The acceleration skill is something you want.

There are only two negative points that I have to mention with this game, which are the length and the story. The length of this game is only 4 hours long, not counting the missions and collecting red rings or achievements, so that's a bit of a let down. The story is pretty awkward. There are barely any cutscenes, and making a story including time travel tends to fail easy if done wrong.

I would advice this game to any fan, whether old skool, modern lover or not a fan of Sonic overall.
  18. Dec 6, 2013
    Sonic Generations is pretty much the old Sonic games all rolled into one with much more modern graphics noticing fine points in the game may help you later in the hidden levels.
  19. Dec 3, 2013
    I usually agree with metacritic score for sonic games.. there are horrible and great sonic games out there and this one is AMAZING. I even felt the game was short because I could easily handle 4 for stages... They are all beautifully recreated with fantastic gameplay and funny cutscenes with cute injokes. The way sonic speed up among this visual experience is awesome. This is a must have for any sonic fan of any age and new players as well. Expand
  20. Oct 28, 2013
    best sonic game since sonic adventure 2
    one the best plataform game that i have even played
    it has a good gameplay,with great levels
    sonic team made a good job
  21. Oct 24, 2013
    Sonic finally returned with what is possibly the best sonic game since the old genesis titles. You get to play as modern sonic in 3D, with his special boost ability returning from sonic unleashed and colors, and you also get to play as classic sonic in the old 2D side-scrolling mechanic, perfect for the fans who grew up with the classics. This game has a short and bland story, but the game-play MORE than makes up for it, The game has 9 different stages each from older sonic games, separated into 3 era's that represent the older games. You have the classic era (green hill, chemical plant and sky sanctuary), the dreamcast era (speed highway, city escape and seaside hill) and the modern era (crisis city, rooftop run and planet wisp). Along with a huge set of missions, rival battles and boss fights from the older games, revamped for the new game-play mechanics. Every stage has their older music remixed and remastered, and it does not disappoint, filled with godly level design with branching paths, they also have red-star rings scattered throughout the stage that give you special bonus features, like music and artwork. Modern Sonic's 2.5D/3D game-play is a perfect mix of platforming and speed, while classic sonic's game-play is the same as the classics. This game is perfect if you're just getting into the series, it's also great for older fans. Overall, this game is perfect, if you don't have it, then what are you waiting for? Expand
  22. MKC
    Oct 14, 2013
    Quite simply the very best sonic game since 1994. Seeing green hill, chemical plant and Sonic CD's stardust speedway race against metal sonic, all lovingly recreated with modern graphics is magnificent. Plus the game is loaded with remixes of classic sonic game music from the iconic green hill theme, sonic 2's 2p results screen and sky sanctuar to sonic adventure 2's city escape song, sonic colours planet wisp and Sonic hero's seaside hill there's loads of nostalgic nods to dozens of sonic games over the decades.

The 2d platforming is excellent. It's not exactly the same as the classics but it's the closest since sonic & knuckles forget the poor attempts of sonic 4, there's no clunky walk up walls physics here!

However, the surprise has to be how enjoyable the 3d levels are. They still have some refinement work to do with slippery 3d sonic, but after a decade and a half, sonic team have finally found a fluid and exiting 3d sonic experience that's just down right fun! After an hour I found myself enjoying the 3d levels more than the side scrolling ones- and I still do!

The levels are truly superb. From the modern 3d graphic recreations of green hill, and sky sanctuary, to the sonic adventure era levels and even the more recent levels from sonic colours, unleashed and (shudder) sonic 06- each level is beautiful, detailed, full of eye candy and show stopping stunts and set pieces as well as being well built and designed.

The structure of the game is typical sonic. There's a grading system to the levels in typical sonic team style and the gameplay and level design will draw you back in to levels you've beaten in order to refine you're route to the finish to gain the S rank grade. A bit like a racing game, you'll find yourself fine tuning to shave of a second or two and it's a thoroughly enjoyable experience. Doing this in some of the later, longer levels can be frustrating at times however. There's also an assortment of recreated past boss fights and tonnes of side missions. Some of these side missions are poorly designed filler material, however I found most of these added an interesting variety to the game, and a nice escape from the main games "in your face" from time to time. They're definitely a welcome addition, even if some of them are terrible. There's also a museum in which you can unlock classic music, movies and pictures as well as concept art all paying tribute to the series 20 year history. You can even choose to play this music in the main game which is a great touch. Plus the original 1991 game on the Sega mega drive is unlockable through the skills shop and can be played in it's entirely in full screen, full speed HD!

The game isn't without it's faults. Although the graphics and luscious, the intricate detail and bright colours mixed with the exhilarating speed of the game sometimes make it hard to make out what's going on and lead there's slowdown in some of the busiest sections. The boss fights, although visually impressive and nostalgic, feel like a chore and aren't very fun at all. This is particularly true of the last 2 bosses which are drawn out and downright boring. There's a "skills" system employed i. the game which adds absolutely no value to the game, even if it doesn't really take anything away from the enjoyable experience- it just seems like it's there for the sake of it. The cut scenes are truly awful as well and look like they were knocked together in 5 mins, however that's probably a good thing as it seems like the time and energy has been spent on the rest of the game instead.

After 17 years of a mixture of ok, nearly there, disappointing and sometimes crap sonic games, sonic team have finally found the magic that they appeared to have lost since the release of Sonic3 and Sonic & knuckles in 1994 and created a sonic game that's in almost every way as good as the triple A classics on which it's based.
  23. Sep 4, 2013
    Even though I prefer Sonic Colors, I can't deny this game is incredible, the gameplay is as great as sonic colors, though noticeably glitchier, not to the level of Sonic 06, but it's still noticeable. Though the story and writing is really, REALLY, weak compared to Sonic Colors, and the soundtrack, while it's still great. Does not even COMPARE to the masterpiece of a soundtrack sonic colors had. Otherwise it's a great experience, Fun gameplay, great graphics, and music. Expand
  24. Jun 21, 2013
    The game bursts out an energy of crazy speed and hours of enjoyment. The nostalgic feeling and visuals are at its best, the two different gameplay styles are equally as fun. The bright and cool friends, missions, music, boss-fights keep you playing. This is Sonic at its best so far, but it's not perfect yet. The game's lasting appeal is however pretty weak along with it's unexciting story.
  25. May 26, 2013
    Sonic Colors was the game that brought me back to the series. when I played this game, I knew Sonic's reign of bad games had come to an end. The story for the game is simple. while I love this in a sonic game, I can't help but feel it's too simple. many things in the game are left unanswered, and feels like an excuse to get modern and classic sonic together. but the story means nothing with addicting gameplay like this. classic stages keep all the physics and fun of the original genesis games. sure, the control isn't exactly like the genesis days, but still feels very fluent. Modern stages are just as fun. the game takes the unleashed formula once again, and feels smoother thanks to the better frame rate. The graphics for the game are among the most beautiful I've ever seen in a game. each zone does their reincarnations very well with graphics. along with that, each stage has good level design. The soundtrack, like most Sonic games, is awesome. both original and remixed tunes are catchy, and it becomes even better when you find out you can switch the song in a stage to one of the ones unlocked. This game falls flat in 2 areas, however: boss battles and missions. the boss battles are short, both in length and numbers. I would have liked more of a variety of bosses in the game. the final boss, which I won't spoil, is the worst part of the game. you have no idea what is going on the whole time, and the controls constantly fight you here. and it doesn't help that Sonic's friends are constantly babbling. the side missions in the game add to the replay value, but are bland in the end. each one is either too easy or too difficult, and shouldn't be bothered with, except for the times when it's required in order to progress. Overall, Sonic Generations is a great game. the gameplay has twice the fun with both gameplay styles, the graphics are beautiful, and the soundtrack is the biggest one in years. Expand
  26. May 24, 2013
    Quackit Sonic Generations Review 5/24/2013

Sonic Generations is what is considered by most people as the Sonic franchise’s climb back up from it’s past failures. Sonic Generations gives both modern Sonic gameplay: running, boosting, platforming, sidestepping, and grinding through familiar zones from Sonic history, and classic Sonic gameplay from the 16-bit era, running,
    spinning, and jumping through these same familiar zones.
    One of Sonic Generations greatest features is that it lets you explore places like Chemical Plant and Sky Sanctuary in a new 3D perspective, and lets you explore places like City Escape and Planet Wisp in the fashion of the original Sonic games on the Sega Genesis. Another aspect Sonic Generations has that makes it so much better than Sonic Unleashed is that it takes you out of the claustrophobic racetrack like paths that you followed in Unleashed and puts you into more wide open vistas with all sorts of secret paths to explore and discover.
    What puts Sonic Generations above Sonic Colors is that during the modern stages, there is more of a balance between the side scrolling sections of levels and the 3D platforming sections of levels, when in Sonic Colors there was an overload of side scrolling sections with just breadcrumbs in comparison of 3D sections. Sonic Generations is little more than a title based around improving the series’ recent hardships, which is arguably NOT a good thing, but in the eyes of most it is a step in the right direction for Sonic Team.
    A recurring complaint about Sonic Generations is that it uses ‘exhausted’ and ‘uninspired’ recreations of older Sonic game’s stages, but the point of Sonic Generation is to remind everyone that Sonic games have gone from good to bad and now back again.
    Generations has set a standard of quality that the Sonic fanbase will continue to keep in mind when they review a Sonic game for games to come and I believe Sonic Team has put the right foot forward in repairing a damaged franchise.
  27. May 3, 2013
    The game I had been saddened to hear. Well I was because I didn't have the means of playing it, but I suddenly found an Xbox under my Christmas tree.......WITH THE GAME IN IT! I was stoked and boy was the game better than I thought! You play as Sonic and Sonic (you know the classic and modern versions) as you try to save the universe from a time tearing demi god. It's been 20 years and Sonic is celebrating his birthday with every known chararcter in the Sonic universe (well Mighty must have missed the notice again) until everyone but Sonic suddenly gets attacked and sucked into different times. Sonic wakes up to find his world in a white void and eventually meets Tails and their classic counterparts. Both Sonics must run through all the stages that harken back to Sonic's past to fix the timeline and their wordl form falling to pieces. Modern Sonic plays just like he did in Unleashed (with a little less flexibility). Fast speeds, boosting, drifting, and the homing attack are what make up these stages along with an incredibly superior balance in platforming than Unleashe's stages. Classic Sonic almost plays like he did in the Genesis days. I say almost because while it's fun to play in this style all over again, the physics are taken away from premise. You can't gather speed by rolling in loop de loops and hills without spamming the all new overpowered spin dash (which you just hold X whenever you want to use it). You can't jump on enemies and expect a higher jump when you land on them. It's always the same bounce which is a real bummer. Even despite the slight lack of momentum based gameplay, Classic Sonic is just as fun to play as Modern Sonic, if not, more. The stages range from the Genesis days to Dreamcast, and then our beloved Modern games (some aren't that bad people). Each stage has different designs and are so diverse in style and location, you can't help but fall in love with Sonic's history once more as you speed past all the enhanced famililarities you know and love from each game. The story isn't really that much to behold, but it serves it's purpose. I just wish you could play as Knuckles or something. Plus alot of potential was lost in this game, as it should have been longer with more stages and classic versions of characters.Still though this is a fun game and you will want to keep coming back to it again and again, Especially if you want to collect all the extra artwork, screen, and movies. It's the perfect game for Sonic fans. Here's hoping the next game will be even better. Expand
  28. Mar 15, 2013
    The best Sonic game in years. The game is beautiful, and has excellent gameplay really memorable moments. The only problem is being short, I would more stages, especially the 16-bit era.
  29. Mar 13, 2013
    It's seriously a great comeback for Sonic. He's in better form than ever with exciting levels from the past, racing through them is a blast, everything fits perfectly. The graphics are phenomenal, the voice acting is better, the stages are well developed and vibrant, it's all almost perfect. The only thing I have a beef with is the missions: the annoyance they serve varies from not at all to nails on a chalkboard. Regardless, it's definitely worth a buy. Expand
  30. Feb 28, 2013
    Wow a good Sonic game! I have not seen that in a while. I enjoyed this game and I still play this game today trying to beat my original times, and get some achievements. Sonic Generations goes back to what people love most about Sonic games, Running, collecting rings, and destroying Dr. Robotnik's robots. The game starts off by showing Sonic and his friends throwing him his 20th Birthday party. During the party, Sonic's friends get sucked into this time travel portal and get frozen in time. Sonic goes into the portal and has to save his friends. While trying to save his friends, Sonic runs into his old 2D self from the first Sonic game! It is amazing to see the 2D and the 3D Sonic together. In order to save Sonic's friends, you have to complete each act 2 times with each character or Sonic in this case. The 2D Sonic runs in 2D like in the original game and the graphics look amazing for 2D. The 3D Sonic runs in 3D and has more abilities like jump higher and run a little bit faster. As much 3D Sonic is good, I started off with the 2D Sonic and that's the character I love playing as the most. The gameplay is awesome and you will be playing this game over and over again. Its about time Sonic had a good game. There is pretty level designs, problem solving, and great boss battles. Try this game out, You will like it. Expand
  31. Feb 22, 2013
    This game is an amazing way to celebrate sonics 20th anniversary! It includes famous stages from each sonic game, picked by the fans, and completely redesigned and worked into stunning HD. you play as modern sonic, which has a mixture of 3d and 2d levels, and as classic sonic, which is all 2d levels similair to the genesis days. with modern sonic, they really got the formulan down right, in sonic colors there wasnt alot of 3d platforming, but as modern sonic in this game, there are alot of great 3d platforming sections, and they are all very well designed. Not only that, but the levels are all designed very well, and reward you for thinking outside the box, like in chemical plant zone when you can run on the other lanes that just look like their in the backround, but they lead to new pathways. and each level has alot, and by alot i mean around 4 different ways to the goal, and finding each of the pasts, and mastering the design to speed through them is alot of fun as well. You can also unlock many, many songs from other sonic games, and play them on whatever stage you want, which makes for some pretty cool atmosphere in the levels (open your heart in crisis city), and makes some completely akward (green hill zone theme in crisis city). There are 9 stages in this game, but you play through each as 2 different sonics, so that makes it 18, and after playing through the stage, you can play through 5 different mission type levels, with completely different level designs and goals, and thats 5 for each sonic, so that makes for over 100 levels! (technically :P) There are also 5 red star coins hidden within each zone for each sonic to collect, and with each new red ring you collect, you get more concept art and songs added to the museum in the game, and the music to play through levels with as well. There are plenty of boss battles, which arent that great, especially the end boss, which is a horrible boss, and is a bit dissapointing. there are some minor things that annoy me, but they would come off more as nitpicks than anything else. This is one of my favorite sonic games of all time, and i had alot of fun with this title. i highly reccommend this to any sonic fan, or any platforming fan who is looking for an awesome game. Sega has really redeemed themselves with this one. Expand
  32. Dec 15, 2012
    Sega has ruined the game. Long and annoying levels; If I use boost, my character will hit something within the next 2 seconds. Sonic is a game about speed and excitement, not about passing (boring) obstacles in the first levels. It takes a lot of time to beat for the low replay value. In fact, this is a short game, but it gets boring, which makes the game hard to be played for more than 1/2 hours. I loved all sonic games, but this game is like is like ''Shadow: The Hedgehog''. Expand
  33. Nov 23, 2012
    Sonic Generations is a must play game for any gamer. The game itself remasters 3 Sonic levels in beautiful HD from each of Sonic's eras, Genesis, Dreamcast, and Modern as well as 2 boss fights in each era followed by an original final boss. Each level of the game must be played in 2 brilliant perspectives, classic HD side scrolling as classic Sonic with classic abilities such as the spin dash and spin jump, as well as modern HD platforming as modern sonic with modern abilities such as boosting and homing attack. Each boss fight however is a predetermind perspective. Plot: As Sonic races through Green Hill zone for the first time, he notices an earthquake shaking the ground and looks up in horror as the menacing Time Eater rushes him through time. Meanwhile, the modern Sonic runs into a surprise birthday party set up by his friends, only to be seperated from each other in different areas of time due to the Time Eaters unexpected attack. Upon running through familiar areas, he is reunited with his friends and encounters his past self. His partner Tails meets his past self also. Both Tails reach the conclusion that they are stuck within a time space conitinum, and that the Time Eater plans on erasing time and space. They also conclude that if both Sonics speed through areas throughout Modern Sonic's life they can restore time and space, and better yet can challenge the Time Eater if they collect the 7 Chaos Emeralds. Level Remakes: The Levels are exactly what any Sonic fan wants, fast paced, nostalgic, and a throw back to 20 years of Sonic. Anyone who has never played a Sonic game can experience a sample throughout every piece of his gaming legacy in brilliant HD. Speed: every level is incredibly fast as the theme of Sonic is about speed therefore this platformer/sidescroller feels as if you are rushed throughout the game, although to a Sonic fan this is what is expected and praised, and to a newcomer to the franchise this can be overwhelming yet a new and exciting experience. My Opinion: every gamer should play through this game at least once Expand
  34. Sep 12, 2012
    By far one of the most enjoyable Sonic experiences to date! Fans who have put up with the series' lows really owe it to themselves with this underrated slice of Sonic gaming. Though the game may lean on the short side all thats contained within is pure Sonic gameplay minus the needless filler. Nine lovingly recreated zones all from series' past to present with 2 Acts each (one for Modern and for Classic) makes this game the biggest nostalgia trip ever. A definite buy for platformer fans. Expand
  35. Aug 10, 2012
    I'm not a Sonic fan, let me make that clear first, but I really like Sonic Adventure 2 Battle for GC. So, as someone who just kinda looks at Sonic fans from the outside in, I don't see what people see in Sonic Generations. It's not very good,or even half good for that matter. Actually, it's just bad.

It's not as bad as Sonic 06, BUT at least 06 did pay attention to putting together a
    story. A badly written story, but a story none the less. Generations just seems to have abandoned that element and said "Let's just focus all on gameplay." That would be fine, if the gameplay was any fun. That is a failing to a new level, isn't it? The 3D stages with big Sonic are way too linear, even the stage they took from SA2 they found a way to take a lot of the fun out. It's like the drag races from Need for Speed Underground, except less complicated. The 2D small Sonic stages are ok, I guess if you like them, but here's the thing. When I first heard the story was about time travel, then my first thought was, "Oh balls, either there was going to be a bad plot hole, or game play would get frustrating." Low and behold, it was gameplay. Going through a long linear big Sonic stage, then to be suddenly switched to a small Sonic level, forgetting about the fact that little Sonic can't homing attack yet will get really annoying when it sends you into a pit. Also, why did Sonic abandon the spin dash? He could do it in SA2, and it was fun then. The 2D little Sonic stages are still fun because of it. There's also just a problem in the general idea of celebrating Sonic, and that's the bad moments of him are REALLY bad. A level from Sonic 06 was just sitting unironically there for us to celebrate. Uh, Sonic Team... Have you had your delirium pills, lately? Because, asking us to celebrate Sonic 06 is like asking us to celebrate being kicked in the balls by a horse, and then the horse taking $60 dollars out of our wallets. On top of that, why would they bring back what I'm sure to be the two most hated characters in the series? Silver shows up as a boss fight, and Charmy is just there. Also, how does Silver move faster than Sonic? I think they're depending on the time manipulation to cover plot holes, and that's just lazy.

Something just crossed my mind, maybe this game gets good ratings because Sonic has been release horrible games for so long, that anything that's not horrible, just simply bad seems amazing for Sonic. I'm saying the only reason it's got good reviews, is because the bar was set so low, I'm suprised it hasn't been melted in hellfire. Sonic has been rubbing his little blue balls in our face for so long, that it blinded us to the truth. If someone must have new Sonic, a better idea would be to play the old games, then make a story, using Sonic action figures. It'd be better, and wouldn't cost as much as buying this game, and putting up with the crap it gives.
  36. Aug 8, 2012
    I really enjoyed playing through the game, redoing the revamped levels was great fun, as a big sonic fan, it would have been a crime not to buy this game, and I was happy with my purchase to this day. The story wasn't that great, but as I have mentioned in previous sonic game reviews, in a sonic game, you want to run, run and keep running. Speed is everything. Well, that and the music, sonic music has always been amazing. Expand
  37. Jul 11, 2012
    Sonic Generations is the best Sonic game to have been released in quite a while. This game isn't perfect, but it's fun. The gameplay is reminiscent of the daytime stages of Sonic Unleashed, which were the only redeeming qualities of that game. The game is visually stunning and fun to play, but is WAY too short with only some replayability. The story is pretty bad, but doesn't try to be engaging, unlike some recent blunders from Sonic Team (Sonic 2006, anybody?). Overall, this game is a beacon of hope in the dismal series that is Sonic the Hedgehog. Expand
  38. Jul 11, 2012
    Always been on the fence about sonic games since they went 3D, until I played the demo of this. Still,it took me two years to buy the full game but I love it. Easily the best sonic game since Sonic 2 (if not a little bit cheesy) was always deterred by the rumoured length of the game and while this isn't far from the truth, these claims have been stretched too far and the game has ther factors that make it more then just another crappy next gen sonic it takes the old sonic games and revamps them into 2.5D and instead of a similar outing for the second acts, it allows you to play through a fully 3D rendering of that particular zone. the beautifully reworked chemical zone from sonic 2 for example. sonic generations takes 9 levels across several sonic games (sonic 1,sonic 2, sonic and knuckles, sonic adventure, sonic adventure 2, sonic heroes, sonic 2006, sonic unleashed and sonic colours).
    ven though each zone has two acts, I do feel they could of added so much more. challenge levels too which allow you to complete certain challenges across variations of previously played levels but their biggest mistake was not to include casino night as a level. sonic had tons of fantastic levels without having to include zones from sonic unleashed. little collectibles like the mega drive are a nice touch, its just a shame the 2D levels can be a bit too quick for the screen.sonic generatione is solid proof that the blue hedgehog s**ts all over the fat, fridgd plumber * .
  39. Jul 7, 2012
    Mixed feelings about this game. Some of it is excellent, controlling both classic and modern sonic for the same levels is a really good idea and there are lots of missions and unlockables. Many of the levels, particularly Green Hill and Rooftop Run, are the best you will ever find in a sonic game ever and it's nice to see all the characters from the series back again. However the lack of environments is disappointing. They are great, but I was surprised to find myself arriving at the end boss so quickly. There just aren't enough main missions, and they made a few odd choices (why would anyone want to revisit Crisis City?). There are lots of sub-missions but they are very mixed in quality, to say the least. The designers seem to have made a point of including as many of the sonic series characters as possible in the missions, and usually in very contrived and annoying ways. So on one level you have to race Amy by riding a frustrating spinner machine, another you see you calling on a character to throw you across large gaps. However these just seem to take away from what makes sonic great - racing through a level at high speed avoiding traps and doing lots of homing attacks. A lot of the sub-missions are very frustrating. This all reminds me of the problems SEGA had with Sonic Unleashed (imho a better game overall). With Sonic Unleashed it would have been better if they'd just forgotten about the were-hog and done all day levels instead. With Sonic generations it would have been better if they'd forgotten about including all the characters from the series in the missions, ditched half the sub-missions and had more main mission environments instead. Sonic Generations is still a great game, but for me it fell a little short of its potential. Expand
  40. Jun 20, 2012
    I thought this game was truly outstanding, by far the best platformer of this generation (though mario galaxy was great too). I was always a sega boy in my youth, so i'll admit i am biased towards sonic over other platformers, but i cannot praise this game highly enough, This had 2d as good as since sonic 2, and easily the best 3d sonic i've ever played, only took them 10 years to get it right... Sonic 4 is terrible by comparison but by goin back to their roots in 3d, and getting rid of the terrible lock on system that destroed the series i once loved, still do really, still play the mega drive games now, they managed to make a game that required some level of ability towards the old style. The game is pretty short, but i've gone back to get all the red rings and beat the bosses on hard, if anythin to unlock the songs, which is another great feature, i just wish there were more. I'd love a sequal to this, there are still many levels yet to cover, even from this generation that i don't really know, like the 2008 game, witch probably supplied the best levels. Sonic team should focus on more like this, than more sonic 4 epsiodes, If you love platforming, this is the game for you, it goes away from the styles from other good 3d platformers, such as mario galaxy, and even the ps1's great crash 3, and makes it's own style. It's got to be up there for me for my favorite games of this generation. Expand
  41. May 16, 2012
    It's a great game and all, but it leaves something to be desired. The story had a lot of wasted potential, and therefore it felt... empty. Also, was too short. More levels would have been great, but the ones that were chosen were not bad choices. Overall, it's really good, but still leaves something to be desired. I'd pick up Sonic Unleashed or Sonic Colors over this, personally, but it's still an amazing game. Expand
  42. May 14, 2012
    Sonic is my favorite franchise ever...ever. I thought that the game-play was the best we have seen in a while from Sonic, but it was way too short. However, unlike most Sonic games the super sonic fight was extremely hard. The games looks stunning, however, it would've been cool for a multi-player similar to Sonic Adventure 2 where one player is Classic Sonic, and the other is Modern Sonic. The real reason i'm slightly disappointing...i wanted to see a classic shadow skin. Expand
  43. Apr 9, 2012
    This is the Sonic game Sonic fans have been waiting for. The ability to play the levels in both 2D and 3D is just awesome! The sense of speed on both styles in intense and borders on twitch reaction. The story is garbage, but the level design, and times/completion stats will keep you coming back for more.
  44. Mar 9, 2012
    This game is one of the most glitch invested games ever made. Just like sonic 06. Do not buy this piece of garbage. Sega hasn't made anything decent since the 90s.
  45. Feb 21, 2012
    All I'm gonna say is this, this is good, really really good! Don't get me wrong, I'm not some Dreamcast fanboy who draws crap anime of Shadow and thinks anything with a blue hedgehog in it is amazing. I'm just a gamer who remembers playing Sonic 3 everyday after school and has longed for a Sonic game that succeeds on more than just nostalgia. After playing Sonic Generations, I'll never look back to the Mega-Drive days again, I'm finally looking forward. BUY IT!! Expand
  46. Feb 19, 2012
    I am a huge sonic fan, have been since the master system, and having recently got sonic CD (from xbla arcade and loved it!!) I was optimistic about this game, I had played the demo and really enjoyed the 2D stages. Having played this game through to completion though I can say that it is overall uninspired and a real missed oppourtunity for some new 2D sonic creativity. While the levels remain fun and engaging (for the most part) the problem comes with the way they set up the unlock system, you are just running through certain parts of the same level continuosly to unlock special items. At first they are a nice touch but then you realise they're only there to prolong the longevity of a game that in all fairness (2D and 3D stages) could easily be completed in a weekend if you did'nt do the challenges. The game in itself is not a bad game, but the fact that they have re-hashed old bosses (there is only one 2D level boss in the whole game!!) and the ones they've added themselves are very uninspired, the final boss fight is infuriating, boring and just not a fun end to the game. Best part of this game for me was the 2D levels, they are beautifully realised, and original sonic controls well, 3D levels are good if somewhat awkward to control at the top speeds, but I've always preferred the 2D sonics. Having bought this game new at a bargain price of 14.99 I was very glad I didn't buy it for full price when it was first released, I would have been very annoyed. Ok so overall the game does a nice job of fan service with great unlockables, such as concept art, music and the like, it's just a shame in the tedious way you have to go about unlocking them. 2D levels are a blast, 3D are above average but not say on the level of a 3D mario. Boss fights for me were a total let down, I really feel they were a missed oppurtunity to create more ORIGINAL and ENJOYABLE, challenging yet fair duels between sonic and his rivals. Oh and you can unlock sonic 1 from the megadrive (more good fan service). So for me this game wasn't a total let down, sega gave a great fan service with the game but I just can't bring myself to give it above a 6 I want to give it at least a 7 but the overall game is not deserving of it, if you're thinking about getting this game and you haven't played sonic CD, I recommend picking that up instead on XBLA for just 400MS points it's a real gem at a bargain price!! Expand
  47. Feb 5, 2012
    First of all, this game is good. The graphics are fantastic for sonic title. The story is somewhat tolerable. I kinda wished that his friends would all grow up and you know get careers or something. The first like 6-9 stages are pretty good. However this game took a brilliant risk by even aknowledging the existence of recent Sonic releases such as Sonic Unleashed. That is where the game started to lose me. I think the only reason didn't receive a lower score from me, is because of the tribute to classic stages such as Green Hill Zone and that one industrial stage from Sonic 2. This is definetly a game for hardcore Sonic fans. Expand
  48. Jan 21, 2012
    I've been playing Sonic games since I was five and sitting down with the good 'ole Sega Genesis with Sonic 1 and 2 and this game is the best homage to the past and present games that anyone could ask for. This game does have it's pit falls from the expected wonky controls in the New Sonic stages from the accidental homing strike to the hard to control straight away runs it, definitely puts the 3D stages on par with the Sonic Adventure games. Sonic Generations makes great use of level that were amazing but stuck in crap games, take example Sonic Unleash, the were-hog was just a giant flop, but the normal sonic had amazing stages and huge set pieces which they took a level from and stuck it in this game with no stupid gimmicks added turning something unbearable into something wonderful. Sonic Generations allows the player to play the game as original sonic and new sonic, which is to be expected from the title, so when you have a stage you play two acts one belonging to Classic and the other to the new one, this also applies for the challenge stages that come up after you complete both acts of a game; with things like time trials, puzzle challenges, and sonic friend stages that involve New Sonic's 'Beloved' partners, but all of these just add to that game making it a much more expansive game than I originally thought it to be it'll keep you busy for a good time just with the story alone. Overall it's great to see that they made a current sonic game that makes shifting through the previous flops all the better. Expand
  49. Jan 21, 2012
    Whenever I play it it gets really frustrating trying to jump during the 2D and 3D sections. And whenever I play it my brother comes in the room and grabs the controller from me.... I'm probably going to try and play it later today so I'll re-review this if I finally get a chance to play it.
  50. Jan 17, 2012
    I had a blast playing through Sonic Generations, even though it had several glaring flaws. Half the stages are city themed (despite Sonic having a rich and diverse history of stages). Modern Sonic is often buggy (homing attack bugs and falling through the environment are the two most common). Boss fights, especially the last two are tedious and not any fun at all. Despite these flaws, there's a ton of content here, and most of it will keep a smile on your face. The skill feature was a surprising and welcome addition as well. Expand
  51. Jan 9, 2012
    This is the Sonic game that fans of the Blue Blur have been waiting for since 3D became a viable option in gaming. Switching back and forth between Sonics is a breeze and to see so many classic levels re-imagined, with all the classic music also remastered, in two versions is breathtaking and will make all Sonic fans jump for joy. With two versions of each level, that also hold 5 challenges each, there is a ton of depth to the game and with online time trials, there is little that could be done to make this game even better than it already is. SEGA finally got it right. If you are a fan of Sonic, this game is a must have. Expand
  52. Jan 1, 2012
    Having 2 Sonics may feel like a gimmick, but the combination between the 2 makes this the best Sonic game of all time. The levels are not rip-offs of previous levels, they are old levels that are changed to feel new. Seeing Crisis City in this game was a shocker because it was in Sonic 06, a game that had bad reception previously. Another example: Planet Wisp is another level in the game, and it was recently seen in Sonic Colors. Sonic Generations updates the level by revealing more of the entire area, and also makes better use of the wisps compared to Sonic Colors. When it comes to boss battles, Sonic Generations has everything you could want in a boss battle, and it has tons of them. Sonic Generations has everything you could want in an action game. It is among the best games of 2011. Expand
  53. Dec 31, 2011
    Overall a good game, however it could have been so much better!! The first 3 stages are very very good re-mixes of 2d sonic from Sonic 1,2,3 & Knuckles (depending on how you look at it). However from there on wards the game goes down hill, only 3 boss stages for the whole game, each stage only has 2 acts and the challenges are not nearly enough to keep you playing. The cinematic scenes are very boring and look rushed in comparison to Sonic unleashed which could be compared to a pixar movie for quality. The white backgrounds of the limbo world are well...white and plain! making the hub world very boring.

This said. The Chemical Plant and Emerald Hill Zone are two of the best 2d and 3d sonic levels I have ever played. The quality of these two stages appears to be higher than all the rest. I would have loved to have seen more levels from the 2d sonic era and this mostly because the quality of the first 3 stages 2d and 3d is excellent. The level design is great, I would have liked to have seen one of the snow stages and a water stage. this would have really improved this game, 3 of the stages are city based which is pretty repetitive.

Get this game but dont pay full price, it was £6 on steam the other day in the run up to xmas.
  54. Dec 30, 2011
    Always on Metacritic the critics make the good games look medicore, bad, or just terrible. This game has a great storyline, great levels/missions, etc. This is probably in my 2nd most favorite Sonic game of all time. There are only very minor flaws to this. All in all, you should buy this is you have extra money lying around.
  55. Dec 26, 2011
    Sega Sonic finally got a real quality of the same generation 16-bit graphics, music, game-play is perfect, it is exciting to say and see how this Sonic is magnificent.
  56. Dec 16, 2011
    Générations Sonic est un bon travail parmi les Sonic ne pourra jamais douter. Est certainement mieux que les jeux récents. En outre, il a été un remake parfait du passé classique, tels que Sonic.
  57. Dec 15, 2011
    Sonic Generations is, without a doubt, the best console Sonic game in years. The gameplay is great for both classic and modern Sonic, and the level design is some of the best I've seen since the 16-bit days. Classic Sonic plays pretty closely to the Genesis classics, with spindash and everything. Modern Sonic plays like an improved, refined version of the daytime gameplay from Sonic Unleashed, fortunately with more platforming and less boosting. The only glaring flaw that I can find in this game is that it's pretty short. The replay value is at least pretty high though; there are 90 additional missions to complete, and the levels are so fun that you'll want to play through them over and over again. If you've been on the fence about whether or not to get this, then get off that fence and get this game right away. Sonic Generations is superb. Expand
  58. Dec 13, 2011
    As a major fan of the Sonic series, I must say that I'm actually pretty disappointed with Sonic Generations. In terms of gameplay and polish, it is indeed one of the best modern Sonic games, but I can't get over how little content the game has, especially compared to how long Sonic Colors was (well over 80 stages, while Generations only has 18). Class Sonic controls great, pretty much exactly like how he did in the original Sonic games and I found these levels more challenging yet less frustrating than the 3D counterpart. Although Modern Sonic does offer more thrills, and for me, it was more fun, albeit still some control issues and I hated how Sega removed his double jump from Colors and put back his dash forward, where in nearly all cases I found to be completely useless compared to a double jump. Graphically, Sonic Generations looks amazing, sure it doesn't run on 1080p but if Sega knows how to do one thing better than most other developers, it's how to make a beautiful game. Sonic Colors on the Wii didn't even need to be in HD to look great and now we have Generations and I was pretty much blown away by the visuals. All in all, I was mainly let down by the amount of content. Sure there are a ton of challenge stages, but unless it's something that you MUST do in order to progress (only 3 just to unlock the boss), you won't really find any reason to do the rest. Considering Sonic's long history and the amount of games Sega could've pulled from, it's disappointing to see that this is all they came up with. What happened to Sonic CD? Sonic 3, even Sonic Advanced could've found its way into the console version, and they could've done at least 2 stages from each Sonic game instead of 1. I would've loved to see Starlight Zone, Wing Fortress, Hydrocity (or Marble Gardens), and Lost World redone, along with bosses for each zone instead with the epic boss battles. At least Sega's on the right track in combining what was amazing with the original Sonic with what makes Modern Sonic great, like being able to play with Super Sonic in regular stages was something I've been missing for the longest time. I'm excited to see where Sega takes Sonic now. Expand
  59. Dec 12, 2011
    Awesome game, but very short and easy to beat. The 3D stages are way better than the 2D stages. I wanted to get the game so long and I was not expecting it to be so awesome
  60. Dec 12, 2011
    Sonic Generations is a love letter to fans. A letter that may not encourage new players to jump on board the Sonic bandwagon, but one that will make any Sonic fan from the past 20 years grin. Generations falls short in some aspects, but makes up for its short comings by providing gamers with what it promises. I cannot think of a better way to celebrate the blue blur's birthday than giving Generations a run through. This game is a drastic step in the right direction for Sonic. Lets just hope he does not fall off his pedestal again. *This is a summary of my full review.*

Check out the full review over at my blogspot: http://trheberling.blogspot.com/2011/12/sonic-generations-review.html
  61. Dec 12, 2011
    It's much better than some other Sonic games, but still not that awesome. 2D Sonic is back, and it's amazing, but maybe SEGA thought Modern Sonic is better and focused the game on him. Only one boss fight is with Classic Sonic, and it has something Modern in it. Other bosses are with 3D Sonic and are really boring to pass. I have never seen a boss with a timer, and the final one in Sonic Generations has got it (for a cool reason, but it's got it). But the game is so gorgeous, and with amazing levels, that I can't give it less than 7. Though, if this game was only 2D Sonic, I would have gave it a 10. Expand
  62. Dec 4, 2011
    The game is short, the story is crap, and the missions aren't engaging at all. I admit that. What we do have, though, is fun. Sonic Team has taken everything fun about the Genesis games and puts it into the Classic stages, as well as successfully taking the good parts of the Adventure games and Unleashed and combining them. By far one of the best current-gen platformers I've played.
  63. Nov 28, 2011
    I've never been the biggest Sonic fan but I've always enjoyed the games to a degree. When I heard about Sonic generations, I wasn't completely stoked but I did like what I saw within the trailers and what not. I'm glad to see that everything panned out for this game, giving gamers a feel for both ways that Sonic games have been played. Having two different Sonics, two different methods of playing the game really makes it a complete game.

Also, as a note to people who put up reviews: If you say a game is not perfect, don't give it the perfect 10 rating. It throws readers off.
  64. Nov 22, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Sonic is back and better than ever. It seems Sega has been releasing some great sonic games as of late. Well lets get started
    Graphics: They look nice and cartoony just how I like it.
    Voices: Well there not half bad Sonic doesn't sound drunk any more. Tails sounds like a guy. The rest are OK except for Shadow.
    Story: As Sonic celebrates his birthday with his friends, a mysterious new enemy called the Time Eater appears, sucking everyone through various 'time holes' and scattering them across different places in Sonic's history. Sonic finds himself in strange dimension known as White Space, where everything has been drained of color. As Sonic searches for his friends, he encounters his younger self, Classic Sonic, along with a younger Classic Tails. As the two Tails determine that Time Eater's actions are damaging time itself, both Modern and Classic race through their history, restoring time to normal and rescuing their friends. They soon discover that the mastermind behind Time Eater is none other than Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik, who has joined forces with his past self to erase Sonic's victories from history. Although the Time Eater manages to overwhelm the two Sonics, the support of their friends and the power of the Chaos Emeralds allow them to become Super Sonic and defeat the two Eggmen. As Sonic finally celebrates his birthday and teaches Classic Sonic some new tricks before he and Classic Tails travel back to their time with Modern Sonic telling his classic self Hey Sonic enjoy your future its gonna be great. Should have warned him about 2006.
    Gameplay:The game features levels derived from 20 years of Sonic history, spreading across three eras: Classic, Dreamcast and Modern, which are played as either Classic Sonic or Modern Sonic.[10] Classic Sonic's levels are strictly two dimensional side scrolling stages, using classic moves like the Spin Attack and Spin Dash, while Modern Sonic's levels follow a gameplay style similar to more recent entries in the series, with the console versions using the 2D/3D style gameplay of Sonic Unleashed and Sonic Colors, whilst the 3DS version will use the 2D gameplay of the Sonic Rush series, both featuring techniques such as boosting and homing attacks. As well as classic power-ups such as Invincibility and Speed Shoes, certain levels have unique power-ups, such as skateboards in City Escape and Wisp powers in Planet Wisp. Each zone consists of a main act for each Sonic, as well as 10 challenges such as beating an opponent to the goal
    Overall this game is a masterpiece each and every way I recommend getting this game
  65. Nov 22, 2011
    3D was fun and also best but one thing is that going through 20 years timeline and felt like dejablue and physic, graphic, level design was also great and the fastest game i ever played and felt like fast and furious and the story that follow according plan to antagonist at Sonic Colors was good but worst is that the boss fighting is limited and way too easy but Co-op couldn't let you down and sidestory wasn't great but good and this game has increase fan and popularity series again but they still need to improve for their next game and when playing as classic sonic it felt like "old memories" was great but classic sonic is speechless it would help if Jaleel White could voice him but doesn't want classic sonic talk like black but it still okay and i was thinking that 8 would help. Expand
  66. Nov 21, 2011
    This is a real treat to all Sonic fans, as well as being a perfect place for new fans to start. Sonic Generations takes levels from his past 20 years of games and redefines them for the modern audience. The stages have revamped music from their original release, and the option to change the background music to the level is a real bonus. Ever want to play Green Hill Zone with the song Live and Learn? Well now you can! The sound effects of dropping rings, making a spin dash, and even the dreaded final countdown underwater make a come back. The makers of Sonic Generation also included a the original Sonic the Hedgehog game, in its entirety. As a long time fan of the series it serves as a reminder of just how far the series has come. Sonic Generations is not however without its flaws. Phasing threw walls and the occasional jumpy camera angle do little to bolster Modern Sonic's street cred, thankfully the evils of programming are few and far between. Loads of collectibles and cameos from Sonic's friends await you in what is by far my favorite sonic game in the past 15 years! Expand
  67. Nov 21, 2011
    Having been a huge Sonic fan from 1991, which makes me feel old writing a review for the 20th anniversary game, I have to admit I was skeptical as I had been let down by Sonic games in the past and dramitcally so with the 15th anniversary game.

However I purchased the game and while there are a few drawbacks I remember now how I feel in love with the series as a child. The loops, the
    twists and the insanely fun speed platforming in the 'Classic' portion of the game, while the 'Modern' era(s) are well represented here aswellm, taking all the best bits since 1998/1999 (depending on your locale) and filtering out the less desirable features and gameplay gimmicks. 'Classic' Sonic portion of the game is faithful to the old MD/Gen crowd and can't be beaten in its raw simplicity as an A to B game, albeit with multiple paths, which has been something that has not been fully explored in Sonic's 2D outings, I believe, since the days of old. The care and attention to detail is astondings from level atmosphere to stage setting, music remix quality to little tips of the hat to old fans, by inclusion of little easter eggs for you to spot (like the Flying Battery Airship from Sonic & Knuckles making an apperance in both Rooftop Run Acts) Now Modern Sonic takes up to majority of the game in the amount of levelsincluded from his previous outings, to be honest Sega/Sonic Team did a great job in giving the moden stages a High Def lick o' paint, like the 'Classic' levels the 'Modern' feel instanly familiar but the welcome changes and updates encourage you to explore the stages and I also encourage you to do this also as most of the time you'll be boosting around the level and miss the opportunity to see what Sega can create when they give themselves enough Dev time, it's honestly amazing.

On to the down points though while small they do detract from the experience and should be noted if only to draw attention so hopefully they won't happen again (Do you know what thats called fanboys, Constructive Critisicim, it actaully helps the Devs). Anyway while 90% of the time the framerate is smooth and crisp there are occasions where the framerate drops significantly, While I understand there is a lot going on, on the screen sometimes its just a bit to much ie. Chemical Plant Act's 2 opening.

My second criticism is the cutscene are a painfully low resolution, if your lucky enough to have a large-ish sized HD TV 26" and above the cutscenes look like they are stream of the internet, and what makes it worse is that Sonic's last game 'Sonic Unleashed' had tight crisp cutscenes that were amazing quality, I don't understand the lack of quality here it really hampered the story experience for me.

My third critism is the story while I'll not go into spoiliers, I can understand this was a concept without a story first, but it is awkwadly childish and not even that funny which is a let down after the hiliarity of Sonic Colo(u)rs' script and VA, I know that Sega is pitching this at kids, but really comeone its a bit embrassing.

My final criticism is, while again not spoiling it, the last boss battle was intially complicated and wasn't implimented well, the controls felt sluggish which is even more obvious in a game like this and I spent the best part of an hour trying to figure out how to beat the thing, as there are no hints (except from the secondary characters shouting incoherent nonsense at you) and none of what you learnt from your previous time with the game works. but that being said once you beat the game, you are presented with my favourite scenes in the game, but you'll have to beat it yourself or scan Youtube to see it.

Score Breakdown
    Audio: 9 I am not kidding the Music is absolutely amazing, only the restriced VA holds this back from a 10.

Visuals: 8
    The graphics are quite simply amzing to look at, but the prerendered cutscenes and the slight framerate issues drag down the score here.

Gameplay: 10 Best I have ever seen it, perfect representation of the MD/Gen era and the finely tuned 'Modern' era(s) make this the most fun Sonic game since the classics, but that may be nostalgia talking.

Achievements: 8 I think the range of achievements here contains a nice mix, even if alittle predictable, I would of liked a few more to keep me going although hopefully any potential DLC may extend the list.

Overall: 8 / 8.5 Apart from the cristisms earlier, I am very happy with game and I look forward to what comes next out of the house of Blue.
  68. Nov 20, 2011
    Finally after decent but not great titles like colors and unleashed, Sega finally scores with Generations a masterpiece. Taking the best from the franchise and enhancing it all the way through. All the mistakes of the previous modern sonic in unleashed and colors have been fixed creating a mixed of both modern sonic and dreamcast sonic. Yet, only one thing makes this an imperfect game, is too short and the last boss battle was a huge disappointment the way you have to defeat it, but otherwise great celebration! Expand
  69. Nov 20, 2011
    This game is the best game they have made in a while, It is very close to the classic sonic and the original formula is what I enjoyed the most. The drawbacks are the flow of the levels has no connections its just 9 randomly chosen levels 6 of which aren't even from the earlier sonic games. The first 3 are from sega genesis sonic and are the best levels in the game and the rest are from as recent as sonic colors. Not sure why that is in a game called sonic generations. It can be hard to get up speed after stopping and going into a roll will only cause sonic to stop unlike the classic games where you could spin-dash around loops and such. The good is that it almost feels like the real deal, sometimes you forget you're playing a recent sonic game. The remixed songs and memories are very fun to relive with the new engine. To me this game is a 7 and the sonic team is definitely on the right track. In order to keep this momentum they should release a sonic generations 2 and sonic generations 3 with at least 15 levels selected from sonic 1, 2, 3 , 3d blast, sonic adventure, sonic heroes, and sonic unleashed. Next time throw in every level from every "classic" sonic game and you've got yourself a AAA game my friend! btw Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) game is not a classic game why is it in Sonic Generations. Expand
  70. Nov 20, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The return of a legend, the game is excellent, the graphics are polished, colorfull and wonderfull, the music is a mix of electronic music with traditional soundtrack and the gameplay is very fluid, dinamic and fun. The presentation is excelent and you can play in two forms in full 3D HD: classical from the 16 bits era and the new from behind... very good game even though it is for very young players. Expand
  71. Nov 20, 2011
    By far the best Sonic game since Sonic 3 & Knuckles. Is it perfect? No. But it's the most fun you will have had with Sonic in a long time. Especially the Classic gameplay.
  72. Nov 18, 2011
    Sonic Generations, what more can I say? Me being a long time Sonic fan found this game just outstanding. I enjoyed the first Sonic games on the Sega Genesis and with my favorite being Sonic Adventure 2: Battle. This game was a great remake of some of the best stages and bosses in the series. The new HD graphics made each one just amazing. The level re-designing was just awesome and I felt like I was playing each game all over again. The music remixes are also just pleasant to hear and sound considerably better than the originals. The mixture of both 2D and 3D make the whole experience that much more incredible. It makes it so you have to master two different strategies instead of focusing and getting use to just one the entire game. The boss battles were also just incredible, and they rethought how everything goes and how it is done. If you are a fan of Sonic, this is a must get! Expand
  73. Nov 15, 2011
    Sonic Generations does many things right, but it isn't the best sonic game. That honor would go to Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and Sonic Adventure 2. The games contrived plot has you switching between 2 sonics: 2d sonic and modern sonic as you try to save time from a mysterious new foe. In both classic and modern levels the graphics are stunning, and the modern take on the older levels is great. The challenge stages, like most games that use them can get old and repetitive after a while. For some reason some people don't like the buddy challenge stages added where you can send in another character on the fly to help you traverse levels, one of these has tails rescuing as you freefall. Their are two big disappointments with this game, the modern levels although are meant to be tougher aren't anything like the act 2 and act 3 stages of the previous sonic games. (not hard to compare generations gladly adds in sega genesis and a free sonic the hedgehog 1 cartridge). The other disappointment is that the modern re-renditions of stages that worked well without the boost gauge don't work as well with it. With the new mechanic, its a lot easier to speed past obstacles which would be fine escape it ruins the finasse these levels had slightly. All in all, sonics reimaging of his past is excellent and may give sonic a bright future. Expand
  74. Nov 14, 2011
    Since Sonic Adventure 2 / Battle came great games, but not beyond SA2 / B for me, Sonic 2006 reached almost, if not the technical problems that the game has paid for the rush of Sony and Microsoft to launch the game it would have been best of all, Sonic Adventure 2 but still had that title for me, but now Generations could feel a game worthy of saying "the best Sonic game EVER," he left parts of the platform and very modern with multiple routes path, and keeping the lightning speed worthy of the Hedgehog, and even brought us the old Sonic from my childhood, a perfect blend, the gameplay with both Sonic's are excellent, everyone in the concept of his time in the best style platform / action we have phases of memorable games, the music totally nostalgic and a perfect remix, the phases are epically designed with two types of gameplay, very good graphics, excellent controls, it is no exaggeration on my part, who played and really like Sonic in two styles will know what I'm saying, SEGA and Sonic Team are to be congratulated again, a game that is already marked the history of our hedgehog cobalt, the best game EVER Sonic the Hedgehog! Expand
  75. Nov 14, 2011
    This is another Giimmicky Sonic game. Wow you can play as old and new sonic. A poor game, and not even worth your time playing. The stages are horribly designed, and the 3D sonic levels are a joke. If you're going to get this, wait until it comes down in price, as it is certainly not worth £45.
  76. Nov 13, 2011
    This is pretty much Sonic 2 quality work by Sonic Team. Not S3&K quality mind you, but Sonic 2 is still a pretty damn good game. Instead of adding lots of wonky new gameplay elements, Sonic Team focuses solely on perfecting the formula they've worked on in the past few years. The 3D side of the game is well done and plays beautifully, somewhere between daytime Unleashed levels and the levels found in Sonic Colors. The 2D side of the game is also a joy to play, despite a very few minor nagging gripes that most hardcore Sonic fans (like myself) will complain about. And even those complaints can be over looked. That said, I still knocked a point off because of the 2D side. It's not a 1:1 Genesis replication.

Level design flows really well. The graphics are outstanding. The music is 100% amazing and even features the ability to unlock tunes from older games in the franchise/series and then swap those tunes in to replace the level's main music.

Also, the camera is also surprisingly co-operative and well placed despite the lack of camera control in 3D.

Meanwhile, the story is nothing to write home about to most people. However, if you're a long time Sonic fan and have played many of the games, there are tons of jokes and references for you to see. While it is indeed a celebration of 20 years of Sonic, it also in some small ways seems like a letter to the fans. Where SEGA and Sonic Team both somewhat apologize for the bad things. And poke fun at themselves while doing so. Most Sonic fans will probably enjoy the story for what it is.
  77. Nov 13, 2011
    This game is by far one of the best Sonic the Hedgehog games since Sonic Adventure 2. The gameplay is fun with the young chubby Sonic, and HALLELUJAH!!! modern Sonic's gameplay is FUN, aside from minor glitches with him it is still great. I am happy to say that yes I am a Sonic fanboy and I am finally getting the feeling that Sonic is on his way back to glory. Only downside of the game was the few levels and boss fights and the replayability, but still a FANTASTIC game. Expand
  78. Nov 11, 2011
    It's so refreshing to see a good Sonic game these days. Give Sega a lot of credit for this one, they listened to their fan base and made a fantastic game out of it. The story is fun, the sound and music is great, and the graphics are tolerable. Sonic is back and hopefully he's here to stay.
  79. Nov 11, 2011
    In Short: A solid platforming game for non-sonic fans, and a nostalgic train ride through your childhood for those that are. If you are a sonic fan get this game, if you are interested in sonic but not played his games before then wait till this is cheaper first.

In Long: I grew up with Sonic in my life from the very start, the first game ever played was Sonic The Hedgehog 1 and the last
    game I just played was Sonic Generations, which was worth every penny. I thoroughly enjoyed every moment spent doing anything in this game, from the story and stages to the challenges and red ring hunting it was amazing for me. The Classic Sonic levels are well done, feeling very old whilst not to the point of being identical to old gameplay (I don't mean it doesn't play like Classic, it just isn't carbon copies of old levels used). The Modern Sonic levels are, in my opinion, finally perfected and play smoothly with a feel for speed and platforming blended together nicely, people who complain of clunky controls are most likely trying to boost through a level they have never played before, hitting a wall, and blaming the game. My single complaint about this game is how short it is, and if my only complaint about a game is that their isn't enough of it to go around then that says something about the quality of the game in general. Although it is short it is longer then some games I have played (I 100% Batman: Arkham Asylum in 3 days, which is supposed to be a legendary game, and I wasn't even playing it the whole time, Sonic Generation took 4 days of non-stop playing so it isn't a fair complaint to make). Either way, I have spent hours of time having a silent online speed run war with my friends, which is probably going to go on for the next few weeks anyway and perhaps longer

This game is hopefully the first of many Sonic games that will revive the series back to the powerhouse it used to be. My recommendation, buy this game at some point in your life if your a multi-genre gamer, as it is enjoyable as a platformer with no knowledge of Sonic anyway and Sonic fans will love the music, the feel and overall atmosphere of this game.
  80. Nov 10, 2011
    60FPS, BETTER GRAPHICS, BETTER SHADOWS, BETTER REFLECTIONS, MODS, AND A LOT MORE, IF YOU LIKE SONIC GENERATIONS YOU HAVE TO BUY THE PC VERSION OF THIS GAME, ITÃ
  81. Nov 9, 2011
    This game was full of nostalgia throughout. I own sonic 1 and 2 for sega genesis and playing generations with the redone maps like chemical zone and adventure battles city escape made the game so much fun.
  82. Nov 8, 2011
    A nearly perfect Sonic game - a must have for Sonic fans. After the utter disappointment of Sonic 2006 and the better, but flawed (some of those Werehog levels and emblem collecting...) Sonic Unleashed, we get a really good game that addresses most of the issues of the previous games.

Firstly, the classic Sonic returns with better physics. Secondly, modern's Sonic gameplay is very good,
    less buggy. After you get a feel of a level, you start completing it quicker and in a more impressive manner.

Every level is beautifully designed with stunning graphics - you can see they've paid a lot attention to detail. Many references and easter eggs.

The unlockable bonuses! That's the cherry on the top. You can unlock artwork and songs from previous games and you can use those songs during any level - brilliant!
  83. Nov 6, 2011
    Sonic, how it should be. Imagine that the bad 3D running ( hard to stay on a straight line ) level reboots from Sonic 2006 and just about everything that has to do with the New-Gen Sonic then you would have a masterpiece. But (unfortuanetly) all these flaws are there in the game, so they end up stopping the fun and excitement from the 2-D Sonic. Hang in there buddy, maybe SEGA can NOT mess things up just once. Expand
  84. Nov 5, 2011
    I played the Demo, and remained optimistic, but cautious. Now i have the game in my hand, and i must say, this is the best Sonic game since 3 & Knuckles. Gorgeous visuals, awesome soundtrack, simple but effective story, good gameplay and awesome level design with multiple branching paths, whithout being the clusterf*ck of a mess that was Sonic CD's level design, complete with a hard mode and a ton of content. It's awesome. If you want a break from all these FPSs and want simple, yet challenging fun, give this a spin. Expand
  85. Nov 4, 2011
    Generations is a really decent game but suffers some very serious drawbacks that frustrate more then please. But first on the good end of things. For the PS3 the graphics are all created in stunning HD. The landscapes and levels are wonderfully crafted both in graphics and in other details like sound. The game is a wonderful nostalgia trip for old time Sonic players with some level call backs that can be played both as the modern version and classic version of Sonic. The music is all remixed to fit the mood of the old level depending on what character you play. The story is fun but surprisingly simple, though not too surprising after a series of over the top and mediocre storylines. The game features a lot of unlockables such as old music and artwork and even a playable Sonic 1 game.

Unfortunately the game has seriously heavy drawbacks which keep me from going higher which is a shame because I honestly thought this would be the best Sonic game of all time. Physics are okay however they are choppy. Suffering some of the same lag and drawbacks as Sonic 4 and taking away some abilities gained in previous titles that would be more than handy. Getting stuck on walls while homing, not climbing loops, unable to clear small gaps and an unstable control that prevents you running in a straight line. The game wants you to rely on near cat like reflexes to navigate tight corners and manage to make it to the goal in one piece. Too often the camera gets stuck on one of these corners and you loose all track of where you are. Some of the stages are just downright ridiculous, Shadow's boss fight requires you to navigate a large plane while spamming the boost button to collect power ups to defeat him. With the so-so hit detection it's very difficult to fight the Egg Dragoon which requires precision use of the homing attack. The Final Boss is just undeniably cruel as it lacks any adequate instruction to defeat it and lacks an adequate supply of rings to maintain super form. It's understandable a Final Boss would be difficult but this is simply too difficult as navigating a large 3D Environment while trying to maintain a ring count and dodge debris is simply too much.

For those of us who per-ordered we'll be very disappointed to find the unlockable Casino Night Zone is nothing more than a trumped up minigame of Pinball that you could play on your PC. I'd say it wasn't worth the extra $5, which leads to the final problem is this game is simply too short. A great 20th Anniversary edition title with remakes of old classic levels is ridiculously short. The one thing that adds to continued time is a lot of pointless minigames but not an extra bundle of classic levels or a more expansive storyline to show off the new cast. Such a short game hardly justifies a $50 cost.

Painful as it is to nitpick I still felt this game could have been so much more. Sonic Colors was enjoyable with a lot of speed and a modest amount of platforming and even a fun gimmick. This game has a lot of platforming and not enough speed and an unstable control scheme. The game is certainly worth a play but it isn't worth $50. Those anxious to play will find it fun, and I did find it fun but I also found it very frustrating Earns a 6.5. The game deserved a bit more for the cost.
  86. Nov 4, 2011
    Seriously it's like they filtered all the crap and only put absolutely everything fun in it. I cannot see any flaw in this game It's the best sonic game since sonic adventure 2 10/10 love it.
  87. Nov 4, 2011
    Sooo disappointed with this game. The classic sonic 2d levels are awesome with great graphics and sounds, but.... Modern 3d levels are garbage (too many annoying sudden gaps to randomly fall down and die), cutscenes are garbage (too many stupid friends turn it into a kiddies game), challenges are garbage (thankfully u dnt have to play many frustratingly boring mini games) and bosses are rubbish drawn-out affairs. The good classic 2d parts are a refreshing change of pace from all the shooting games, but nowhere near worth the price. Would have been much better if they just scrapped the modern era trash, and just stuck to the classic 2d sonic released as sonic 4 episode 2. Expand
  88. Nov 4, 2011
    Sonic is back at the top of his game. This game is just all around great, great graphics, great gameplay, great story and great music. The best game I've played this year by far.
  89. Nov 3, 2011
    As an old school gamer who grew up playing mario and sonic games, there is nothing that can beat the fun factor of a well made platformer. For current gen games, it's indeed the case for mario galaxy 2 (which I loved so very much), as it is with sonic generations. It's just pure fun for everyone. Even my 5 year old son can play trough the levels of modern sonic without any help (albeit not with flying colors). The only negative that bugged me (as noted by others) is that the game is too short. But other than that, it's an awesome game. In an age where games full of blood and violence are so dominant, sonic generations gives a breeze of fresh air. I am glad that SEGA is still committed to sonic, and I hope similar types of games (high quality fun games without violence, blood, or profanity) are in store for us in the future. Expand
  90. Nov 2, 2011
    After being disappointed by every recent Sonic game (every Sonic created since Adventure 2), I waited with bated breath for this one, hoping that it would bring redemption to the franchise. After playing just a couple levels and watching my roommate play, I can honestly say this is the best Sonic game that Sega has brought to us in a long time. The soundtrack is awesome, the nostalgia factor is high, and the action is a perfect blend of side-scrolling and 3-D speed. My personal favorite level? City Escape, hearkening back to Sonic Adventure 2. Sega hit a home run with this one! Expand
  91. Nov 2, 2011
    Sonic Generations is a game that u will either love, hate or be indifferent of, depending of your previous experiences with sonic games. Speaking as a 32 year old who played and loved the classics, and Sonic games in general up to the Gamecube's era i can wholeheartedly recommend this game to all the original Sonic fans. If you grew up in the last few game generations, or never bother with Sonic back in the day and already believe the hype that all Sonic games are bad then dont get this. Some of the negatives reviews for this game is from people who were already bent on giving it a bad review because they either never liked the franchise in the 1st place, never played the classics and dont have the skill to play the game the right way, or are fans still living in the past and want the new Sonic games to play exactly as those 3. Honestly, this is a fantastic game and any self respecting platforming game fan should buy it.

Graphics 8/10
    + Colorful, insanely fast and jaw dropping graphics when going fast. Very smooth running engine
    - Frame rate is around 25-30 secs per sec which is not that bothersome but still a lil annoying

Sound 10/10
    + Soundtrack is a dream for Sonic fans with remixes from the originals
    - I guess if you dont know the tunes from the originals you wont appreciate them as much

Gameplay 9/10
    +This is classic Sonic as you remember it with skillful jumping and fast reflexes required to get the most out of it.
    - There is still a few hiccups here and there when it comes to sudden deaths and stops but those have been present in Sonic games since Sonic 2. I havent seen a good Sonic game totally glitch free since Sonic 1.
    Replay 10/10
    This is the type of game you dont want to trade, for many old fans like me it means so much more than just a game. Its the return to glory, the triumphant return, of one of our childhood heroes! Sonic is back STRONG in this game and the joyous gameplay will keep u playing for months not because its a long game but because the gameplay is so joyous that you can play in long sessions but also in short bursts for instant gratification every once in a while to take a break from your long FPS sessions in Battlefield or Call of Duty.

Overall 10/10 if you love Sonic and its gameplay style like me regardless of your age
    8/10 if you never liked Sonic, or never played Sonic. It's a great game but you def wont get the most out of this game without knowledge of the franchise.
  92. Nov 2, 2011
    Sonic Generations is the best Sonic Game since Sonic 2!
    I admit i was kind of slipping from being a sonic fan after Sonic 06 but this game brought me back and its probably one of my favourite games of all time.

The Story is something i can really appreciate as a Sonic fan since they are finally making jokes about themselves and it is hilarious, every line of dialogue is sure to make
    you atleast giggle!

The Gameplay is everything we ever wanted from a perfect Sonic Game and thats Incredible speed,Momentum based Platforming and any other awesome additions certainly help the game stay fresh and new.

and finally the Graphics are Breathtaking, you have to see them to believe them. (Especially if you got a 3D TV)

In Conclusion Sonic Generations is one of the best games all year and it is definitely worth every penny of its purchase price! (oh and Rival Battles are EPIC)
  93. Nov 2, 2011
    This is pretty much the first good Sonic game since this franchise went 3D, most of the levels, especially the classic ones were stunning in HD. Classic Sonic doesn't play 100% like it was in the Genesis, but it's really enjoyable, the level design is almost equal, if not better than what the Genesis games had, especially for levels like City Escape, Seaside Hill and Crisis City, they're the best classic levels in the whole game. As for Modern Sonic, it finally worked in 3D with precise controls and some things fixed from that awful Unleashed formula, like the Homing Attack being in the jump button and there is no unresponsive commands anymore. Although the boost still seems infinite, the game doesn't force you to use it with some terrible straight-line level design like Unleashed did, Modern Sonic's levels are wide open with lots of exploration and platforming at it's best.
    However they could have done something much better, there are some unnecessary levels in this game like Spagonia and Planet Wisp, i mean seriously, we've already seen these levels just some years ago, especially Planet Wisp, it was LAST YEAR, they just could have been replaced by other levels that would have been more interesting. And the storyline isn't that good at all, despite some jokes referring to past games, the story itself is way too childish. I'm not saying Sonic should become dark, serious business and anything like this, but there is no need to become the supersonic version of Teletubbies for God's sake.

Overall, Sonic Generations may have it's share of flaws, but it's surely a good game with some great deal of nostalgia, Sega is going in the right direction and i hope they stick to it this time.
  94. Nov 2, 2011
    I only give it a 9 because I LOVE Genesis Sonic and waited in line to purchase Sonic the Hedgehog 2 when i was younger. I purchased the game yesterday and didn't get to play it until 8:30PM and i played all night until 1:30AM and I don't even want to go back upstairs because i'm at the final god damned level and I don't want it to end. The scenery and game-play is close to perfect but what the **** Sonic Team?!?! You can never have MULTIPLE good things in your game. It seems as if they focused so much on the 3D aspect of the game that they didn't even bother with re-play value or the games length. Stop stabbing me in my sonic heart Sonic Team. To make up for the 4-6hrs of game-play I'm really hoping we get some more amazing sonic games all thru-out 2012. I'm going to be buying a Nintendo 3DS for the sole purpose of Sonic generations having a different story/levels. By the way, whats the **** with like 5 bosses the whole damned game??? the "main" bosses are all bosses that were Final Zone bosses and you kill them within 1-2mins. a boss at the end of each act would have made this game a WHOLE lot better. Here's to whats to come! Cheers! (istillloveyousonic) :-P Expand
  95. Nov 1, 2011
    Once again I think most of the professional critics have LOST THEIR MINDS!!! This is the most solid Sonic game (hell the most solid Sega game) in at least ten years!! I am on the last section of the game and will probably have my first playthrough finished tonight. It is an absoute blast to play, and Sega did right by old school fans who rememer the Dreamcast games as well as the Genesis classics. I have played Sonic colors and it was decent, but this one is unbelievable. Remember the first time you saw Mario 64 and how cool it was to play in 3d? This is as close to reliving that feeling as you will ever have. I honestly don't know how else Sega could make a modern Sonic game better than this one. The only flaws it has are the same flaws that EVERY Sonic game ever made suffers from. It's short, (though built from the ground up for replayability) sometimes there are cheap deaths by falling into pits (though there are at least warnings to help out with this now) and the voice acting is lame (though totally skippable thank god!) This is most definitly a 9.0 product. It is the best playing sonic since Sonic and Knuckles on the Genesis over ten years ago. Do not let these moronic reviewers keep you from enjoying a great game. If you rememeber the old Genesis games and love them as I did you will love this. Even if you have never played Sonic before check this out if you like platformers and want something new. This one is a racing game disquised as a platformer and it totally works! Expand
  96. Nov 1, 2011
    I absolutely love it. I have no problems with the games and nothing came off as "bad controls" to me. Just a fun filled, pure Sonic speed adventure. Yeah, there could've been more boss battles but I'm completely satisfied with both Sonic styles of gameplay, they nailed it this time!
  97. Nov 1, 2011
    this has to to be the best sonic game in 10 years since SA2. my only problem with this game is its length it feels too short .the graphics are nice vary few bugs. and the game play nicely the controls are solid i would suggest picking this game up!
  98. Nov 1, 2011
    The real Sonic is finally back! Modern Sonic it's cool, but i, you, they, he, she, ALL, think Classic Sonic is back. Thanks SEGA for this great game.
  99. Nov 1, 2011
    Sonic is back better than ever. It's not perfect, but is the best Sonic game for over a decade. The nostalgia of Classic Sonic remember the old 2D side-scrolling that everyone love and enjoy. The 3D and 2.5D game play of Modern Sonic is the perfect balanced of Sonic Unleashed speed and Sonic Colors platforming plus great 3D plataforming that I waited for years. My only problem of this game that is too short. I just beat in 5-6 hours, olny 7 bosses of the entire game and Classic Sonic only have 2 bosses, I'm waiting the future DLC with more stages and bosses. Sonic Generations is the best Sonic game in years, maybe the best I ever played. After beat the game, the game has 90 challenges to complete, Red Rings to found, replay the stages to get rank S, it's a must-buy for the fans, but if you never played Sonic before, rent it, you can pass the weekend having fun, Sonic is good again better than never. Welcome back Sonic. Collapse
  100. Nov 1, 2011
    I'm really enjoying this game - Good physics,level design,soundtrack... I don't think sega did anything wrong. I should note, however, that I am playing this with a 2d fight pad - I've never liked having to control sonic with a joystick. Both the classic, and modern levels are stunning - Each with different paths to the end. Each level also has numerous challenges to complete after the initial run-through. This game has a lot of replay vale, and I've very pleased to say Sega did a great job on it. Expand
  101. Nov 1, 2011

1. Feb 10, 2012
    You won't be disappointed by the changes that have been made to make this a great experience.
  2. Dec 11, 2011
    Sonic Generations lets you play as two different Sonics, one from the present and one from the past. The first levels are fantastic, but the level design soon gets dull. The time trials and the music is good though.
  3. Dec 9, 2011
    It's somewhat short and the boss battles are truly awful, but otherwise Sonic Generations is a solid platformer. Revisiting old levels is nostalgic and having two Sonics to control is a nice touch. [Dec 2011]