Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode I Xbox 360

5.7

1. Oct 14, 2010
    What's with all the hate for this game? I have replayed the Mega Drive classics many times over and Sonic 4 isn't much worse. Sure, maybe it's not quite as great, but it comes pretty damn close. I have no problem with the physics or the homing attack. It's not the same, but it does feel a lot like you're playing the Mega Drive games. The biggest difference, which I noticed as soon as IWhat's with all the hate for this game? I have replayed the Mega Drive classics many times over and Sonic 4 isn't much worse. Sure, maybe it's not quite as great, but it comes pretty damn close. I have no problem with the physics or the homing attack. It's not the same, but it does feel a lot like you're playing the Mega Drive games. The biggest difference, which I noticed as soon as I started playing, was that if you let go of the D-pad in mid-air after jumping, you fall straight down. But after that it never effected me. I never stopped holding down the D-pad in mid-air, and it felt normal. In fact, in a couple of places this feature comes in handy (like when doing speed-runs or precise platforming). So to me it played a lot like the Mega Drive games, but with a homing attack (which I really like BTW). The visuals, aside from being 2.5D HD, are very reminicent of the old games (Sonic's spines aside, but if you really care, get a life), the music is just like the Mega Drive games, and the sound effects are too. Sonic has returned... But I do have a slight niggle. This thing is 1200 MS points. A tad much for the ammount of content, but I feel it was worth it.

If you've never played a 2D Sonic game, go play Sonic 2. If you like it, get the others and this. I feel it is a worthy entry to the series. Final verdict: 87%
  2. Oct 15, 2010
    please people do not listen to the idiot noob sonic fans. sonic 4 is wonderful. the only problem i have with this game..is that it short. sonic fans always want to find somtheing to **** about and it's annoying. 2D works for sonic very well, and it's how sonic should have been all these years. there's only about teny tiny mixed reviews of sonic 4 & a few STUPID BAD ONES. and aLOT of goodplease people do not listen to the idiot noob sonic fans. sonic 4 is wonderful. the only problem i have with this game..is that it short. sonic fans always want to find somtheing to **** about and it's annoying. 2D works for sonic very well, and it's how sonic should have been all these years. there's only about teny tiny mixed reviews of sonic 4 & a few STUPID BAD ONES. and aLOT of good ones. sega finally got the hint and listen to the fans. the games is just pure sonic fun/ the music is great/ no **** story/ no bunch of lame characters! just SONIC!!! all we want is SONIC.episode 1 is just the begining.i can't wait for ep 2 to come out. great job sega, and welcome back sonic. Expand
  3. Oct 19, 2010
    I was always very fond of the old Sonic games, every few months i play one of them. The recent Sonic games not so much, i never thought it worked to well in 3D, and i found the stories to be embarrissing. So i was really looking toward this game, and i wasn't disappointed.
    The graphics are pretty, the sound is similar to the old games. The music is good, but it might not be as catchy as some of the old tunes (but maybe that's just nostalgia).
    The physics may be different, but i honestly don't think it is a big deal. The first three parts already played somewhat differently to each other, and Sonic 4 is more of an evolution than a total change. There are a few hick-ups, like stopping spin-dashs, or standing on slopes, but this occurs rather seldom. The homing attack (which i was afraid of) actually enriches the gameplay. To master the game a good combination of normal jumps and homing attacks is required.
    The level design is nostalgic. Zone 1 resembles Green Hill, zone 2 Casino Night, zone 3 Labyrinth and zone 4 Metropolis. While this has spawned some criticism that the game delivers nothing new, that's not true. Every act of this zones delivers new elements to the gameplay, making the game very varied. The new special stages are challenging, but fair. The overall difficulty varies a little. While it's never possible to let your guard down, some parts are rather easy, while others are hard. The endgame can be frustrating.
    So i give this game 8 out of 10 points. It might not be a perfect platformer, but a very entertaining one, and a worthy successor to the old games.
  4. Oct 28, 2010
    SEGA has broken the Sonic-Cycle with this, although this game is short, this is much like a classic Sonic game, as Sonic should be. All the best things out of Sonic games is displayed here: good graphics, ace music, frustration (lol), and SONIC! :)
  5. Oct 17, 2010
    I don´t understand all the hate for this game. Sure it isn't perfect, music could be much better and it should have more levels and not based on the old ones, but the controls are good, I don't get why most of people say the game's physics are wrong, the little differences with the originals don't alter gameplay in any significant way. The homing attack adds variety to theI don´t understand all the hate for this game. Sure it isn't perfect, music could be much better and it should have more levels and not based on the old ones, but the controls are good, I don't get why most of people say the game's physics are wrong, the little differences with the originals don't alter gameplay in any significant way. The homing attack adds variety to the game, but the game does not force you to use it, you can jump just like old times.

I've been playing the classic games for years over and over again and I don't see Sonic faster than in this game, in fact I would say it was slower. In many sections you would need precision and timing just like any other platformer, but in this game that's not very usual.

As a fan, I expect a much better Episode 2 from Sega, but I won't say this game is bad because I am a whiner and I'll never be satisfied with anything that isn't EXACTLY like 15 years ago.
  6. Oct 20, 2010
    Sonic the Hedgehog 4 manages to captivate tha feeling and type of game of the past Mega Drive 16 bit era. The game is the first one after Sonic and Knuckles to actually remind us that "sonic-ing" does not mean mindless running but a combination of running and stopping to do sone accurate jumping or clever platforming. These are elements that are found in the new sonic game. I love theSonic the Hedgehog 4 manages to captivate tha feeling and type of game of the past Mega Drive 16 bit era. The game is the first one after Sonic and Knuckles to actually remind us that "sonic-ing" does not mean mindless running but a combination of running and stopping to do sone accurate jumping or clever platforming. These are elements that are found in the new sonic game. I love the music in some -but not all- levels. The soundtrack of the first level is very unique and within the spirit of sonic music. I also like the labyrinth zone music and oh- the bosses rhythm!

The graphics of Sonic 4 have kept the spirit of the series and they do not try to do something "new". This is a good thing. They manage tyo captivate the classic artwork wothout exaggerations (that can be found in some soniv fan games). The graphics are hi-def colorful, clear, detailed, with some wellcoming sparse 3d use (see cards in Casino Zone) that is just enough and should not be overused.
    Sonic sprite is similar to the old good sonic. It is neither too childish (sonic advance) nor too angry. Personally I very much like the fast running effect of his legs and the faithful upgrade of the "almost falling", "look up-down" and die animations. Regarding the gameplay I would like to distinctly refer to the following parameters
    Controls: sonic accelerates slowly, this is not a problem. in fact I find it helpful when i want to make more accurate moves in platforming bits of the game. Once sonic starts running fast the experience is faithful to the classic sonic series. Sonic is not slow. Instead he is more controllable and it is a pitty that many reviewers disagree with this point. When running forward button should constantly be pressed and this is neither good nor bad. Actually I was used in holding forward button all time when sonic runs, so when I firstly played the game, I didn't even notice this issue. Finally the dash attack is a very welcome addition but what could be exluded is the supported forward moving while on air.

Level design: the levels are finally what I would like to see in a 2d sonic. Not too fast not to cumbersome. They are also multipath and this add replay value to the game. What I certainly didn't like is the free level selection. The surprise "what's next" feeling is not there in sonic 4.

Difficulty: way too easy. No reason for sooo many lives. Didn't SEGA notice this before the release. The replay of early levels 5-6 times is enough to collect 30 extra lives! The result is that the game can be completed in few hours. There are some tricky bits in some levels. They are so fun that I would certainly replay them from scratch once the Game Over appers. The final boss is tricky. But not so tricky if you get there with 30 extra lives. Other than this, it is a very fun final boss.

To conclude, the game is a very good sequel to sonic and knuckles, and I consider it as an actual sequel. I would like to see the forthcoming episodes and I really want to see a retail edition with the whole game in the end, at a reasonable price! If I was to give detailed rankings to the game, the scores would be as follows:
    Graphics 8.5
    Sound 8
    Gameplay 9
    Replay Value 8
    Score 9

If you have any questions regarding this review, you can email me at
    dimitriszikos@gmail.com
  7. Nov 11, 2010
    it's a mean, cruel joke to give this game anything less than a positive review, what people don't understand is that sonic was NEVER fast, he might occasionally zip down a hill quickly, he still does that in 4, the controls are perfect, and sonic's "new look" has been this way since 1998 in sonic adventure... not so new, and it's cooler, so get used to it. there's little more to say, theit's a mean, cruel joke to give this game anything less than a positive review, what people don't understand is that sonic was NEVER fast, he might occasionally zip down a hill quickly, he still does that in 4, the controls are perfect, and sonic's "new look" has been this way since 1998 in sonic adventure... not so new, and it's cooler, so get used to it. there's little more to say, the game plays just like the old games, it is a sequel after all so i expect changes, all of which were great, amazing game. Expand
  8. Oct 17, 2010
    Though this isn't exactly the best Sonic game, it is still a good start on what I expect to be a very good episodic saga. Yes, the physics are different. No, they are not bad. At all. Though Sonic starts out very slow, it is pretty easy to keep from having to stop, even if you can't, using the homing jump will provide you with a quick boost to get past the slow start. The levels areThough this isn't exactly the best Sonic game, it is still a good start on what I expect to be a very good episodic saga. Yes, the physics are different. No, they are not bad. At all. Though Sonic starts out very slow, it is pretty easy to keep from having to stop, even if you can't, using the homing jump will provide you with a quick boost to get past the slow start. The levels are alright too. They aren't original or anything, but they are still fun,and since this game is just the experimental first part that is acceptable. The only level that was bad was the the 2nd labyrinth zone, but that still was not near as bad as any of the recent sonic games. In all, it's a fairly decent start to sonic 4, and I hope the Sonic Team takes the criticism and turns it into a great rest of the game. Expand
  9. Oct 17, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Sonic The Hedgehog 4: Episode 1 is a great game. I'm glad that the game goes back to Sonic's roots. It plays almost like the classics and yes I said almost because the physics are a little different. Now different doesn't mean it's bad. It is a little weird to see Sonic sometimes walking on a slope and gravity can be on the floaty side. But even still It doesn't break the game at all. Infact it makes SuperSonic much more controlable than the Genesis games. Physics aside. The controls of the game are spot on. It's pretty much as you remembered it on the Genesis. The Spindash is useful once again and the homing attack is a welcomed addition to the 2D gameplay. Episode 1 only contains 4 zones with 3 acts each along with a boss act. Now that may sound short, But considering the amount of acts per zones and the length that some require. Episode 1 can arguably be the same length as Sonic The Hedgehog 3 (Alone). All the levels are based on zones from Sonic 1 & 2 with elements from Sonic 3. Splash Hill Zone is basicly Green Hill Zone with swinging ropes and a beautful sunset Act 3. Casino Street Zone is Casino Night Zone but more casino themed with slots in Act 1, Cards in Act 2, & Sonic 3's cannons in Act 3. Lost Labyrinth Zone is well the name speaks for itself but not as dangerous as the original with a unique act 2 with a torch and mine carts. Mad Gears Zone! Metropolis Zone anyone?. And finally Egg Station Zone which is an boss rush version of Death Egg Zone and that pretty much it. Graphicly, Sonic 4 is a very pretty game. All the enviroments look great and nostalgic. Same goes for the sound effects. 16 bit sounds never get old. But sadly the same can't be said for the music. While the soundtrack is good in it's own right. most tracks are heavily forgetable and some feel out of place. Yeah! sure it's nice to bring back a lost boss track from Sonic 3D Blast. But it's feel extremely out of place. As with all 2D Sonic titles. The Chaos Emeralds are hidden inside special stages and once you collect them all. Super Sonic can be played in all levels which I am very happy to see coming back. Episode 1 is a great game as well as a nostalgic one. But I do think Sega went too far on nostalgia. I mean a nostalgia game is nice and it's about the right time for one, But in Episode 1 Nostalgia is all it is. Hardly any original content whats so ever. Now the new twists and turns on the levels and bosses are creative but alot of them we have already seen in previous handheld titles. Also after completing the game their not much else there. Time Attack is a nice feature and completing for best time and score on the leaderboards are cool. But after all that theirs not much reason to play Episode 1. Until future Episodes come. Theirs not much else to say about this game since this is only Episode 1. We only have a taste of what Sonic The Hedgehog 4 will be. Overall this is a great game but it's not by all means perfect. The physics are noticably different, It's alittle short, The great overuse of nostalgia. Also Episode 1 lacks Tails and Knuckles. Come on Sega, I miss those guys. It's been almost 5 years since Sonic 06. No more Sonic solo games. We need them back. But with those flaws and nickpicks aside it's a great game and worthy of the name Sonic 4. And it's only the beginning.....â Expand
  10. Nov 26, 2010
    "OMG, Sonic doesn't run fast enough" "OMG Sonic has a homing attack now!" Please just get real. This was the Sonic Game i was waiting for, iam a Hardcore sonic fan and i have to say that this game was Awesome. Now let me get Some thing's out of the way: I Loved Sonic Adventures, I liked Sonic Heroes, I Hated Sonic 06 and i thought Sonic Unleashed was Ok! And now i think Sonic 4 Episode 1"OMG, Sonic doesn't run fast enough" "OMG Sonic has a homing attack now!" Please just get real. This was the Sonic Game i was waiting for, iam a Hardcore sonic fan and i have to say that this game was Awesome. Now let me get Some thing's out of the way: I Loved Sonic Adventures, I liked Sonic Heroes, I Hated Sonic 06 and i thought Sonic Unleashed was Ok! And now i think Sonic 4 Episode 1 is Awesome, and this is just Episode 1 so you know, Episode 2 will be even better! For now, if your a TRUE Sonic fan,Download it Because it is Nostalgic Awesomeness at its Best! Expand
  11. Jul 5, 2011
    A decent attempt at trying to bring sonic back to his glory days. There are a few little things that niggle away at me though, Visually the game has some excellent scenery and enemies, sonic himself seems a little stretched though. The toon style colouring didnt help too much either, it made the game look a little tacky and cheap.

Gameplay some of the classic and new elements worked very

Gameplay some of the classic and new elements worked very well. The lack of any kind of ease in and ease out when moving through the air was a little unusual. Felt like you were in a Zero G enviroment.

Still a much better installment in the series unlike Sonic Unleashed, Sonic Heroes, Sonic The Hedgehog (2006). Look forward to the second part
  12. Nov 20, 2010
    I absolutely love this game and is definately old school sonic, that being said that isn't completely a good thing. If you've played older sonics (1,2,3 and knuckles) when you first pop in sonic 4...u literally feel like that, your playing a game that is sonic 1, 2, 3 and knuckles. The levels are all meant to reminisce of these games and even the bosses are basicly updates from the oldI absolutely love this game and is definately old school sonic, that being said that isn't completely a good thing. If you've played older sonics (1,2,3 and knuckles) when you first pop in sonic 4...u literally feel like that, your playing a game that is sonic 1, 2, 3 and knuckles. The levels are all meant to reminisce of these games and even the bosses are basicly updates from the old games. This is a very impressive game great graphics, fast speed and amasingly fun to play, but for waiting this long for a 2D sonic game that just feels like a mix of the old made HD, I can't say I'm completely impressed, a little more originality would have made this game a definately 10 though. Expand
  13. Dec 21, 2010
    It's a good remember of these classical sonic, I feel like playing Sonic and Sonic 2.

It's easier and shorter, casual gamers can play Sonic 4 Ep. 1 without problems.
  14. Sep 18, 2011
    the division about this among gamers seems really pathetic to me. it is like people who loved the old games would NEVER be satisfied with anything new that resembles the old. i wonder why they keep buying new sonic games then, should just stick to the old games.
    if you are however somebody who is not afraid of 3d graphics and who actually KNOWS sonic and has not not played it in 20 years and expects sonic to be something different than it actually was, then i'm sure you will enjoy this game. it is absolutely true to the old games and only has very minor issues that i can't even remember any more as of writing this review.
  15. May 19, 2012
    A great game at heart, and undeniably fun. But it falls flat in some ideas. A great little title to kill time with though. There is a good chance you will still have fun, and to me, that's what truly matters.
  16. May 19, 2012
    This game was not perfect, but It is still great sonic fun. People are too critical, sonic is a very hard game to make you have to make very long stages since sonic moves through them so quickly and still keep them enjoyable. The physics just don't bother me, If you play a sonic game how it's meant to be by racing through the levels quickly you won't have time to notice imperfections inThis game was not perfect, but It is still great sonic fun. People are too critical, sonic is a very hard game to make you have to make very long stages since sonic moves through them so quickly and still keep them enjoyable. The physics just don't bother me, If you play a sonic game how it's meant to be by racing through the levels quickly you won't have time to notice imperfections in physics. I agree the magic of the original sonic games still isn't here but It's a damn good effort and I will always welcome more games like this over 3d sonic adventures. Please give me more 2d sonic games and more chances to earn chaos emeralds! Expand
  17. sdc
    Apr 3, 2015
    It's time Sonic fans unite and defend GOOD games. It isn't about black eyes and 240p graphics. It's about fun times and great memories. Sonic 4 Ep 1 is a great game. To the people who are on the edge, don't listen to those nostalgia whores. This game is great.

1. Dec 25, 2010
    No just a rehash, but a brilliant game in itself. Sonic reigns once more. [Issue#232, p.88]
  2. Dec 25, 2010
    A good, if unspectacular, platform outing. [Issue#66, p.104]
  3. Dec 22, 2010
    Sonic The Hedgehog Episode 4 seems to be more of a Sonic the Hedgehog 1.2 (calling it "A.5" would put it too close to the brilliant Sonic 2...). The levels don't surprise, the soundtrack bores, and more importantly the blue hedgehog's inertia and dullness make it a real disappointment in 2010. We'll try not to resent it too much, since it's a rather cheap downloadable game, but it's still a very short game as well. Love is blind, so some may still enjoy it, but we'd rather advise them to try out the DS games, which are closer to today's expectations of a 2D journey with the supersonic hedgehog.